The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

There’s No Way Newcastle Should Be Challenging These Sides

9:15 am, Friday, December 27th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 138 Comments

Given the money four of the teams above us in the league – Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool – have spent on their players over the last few years, there’s just no way Newcastle should be challenging those teams at the top of the Premier League, but we are and that’s down to some great buys Newcastle have made over the last couple of years in the transfer market – and mainly from France – and the main credit for that has to go to Chief Scout Graham Carr.

graham carr - closeup

Graham Carr - helped bring some great players into the club

Six Frenchman started the game yesterday for Newcastle against Stoke, and three of them scored – Loic Remy got two to take his haul to 10 goals for the season,  Yoan Gouffran scored to make his personal total 7, and Yohan Cabaye scored his 5th goal of the season, and it was great to see Papiss Cisse smash home that late penalty for his first PL goal, and his second goal overall of the season.

Next up for Newcastle are league leaders Arsenal on Sunday, and Alan Pardew has talked about the top London side, who paid out £42.5M on just one player – Mesut Ozil – in the summer,  and that’s more than Newcastle have paid out over many seasons in the transfer market on all their players.

Arsenal have never finished out of the top four since manager Arsene Wenger took over way back in 1996, and this is what Alan Pardew said today:

“It is a difficult game for both of us, so let’s see how we match up.”  “We have depth and a lot of quality and we are working very hard.”

“We are difficult to beat.” “Our fans want to win things, which we have not been near for years.”  “It is nice to have a team which is competitive.”

It’s better than nice to have a good team – it’s simply great – and let’s also give some credit to Alan Pardew and the players, because they have completely turned things around over the last 9 games with a fantastic 7 wins and 22 points – that deserves credit whoever the manager is.

Even those fans who don’t rate Alan Pardew and want him out of the club, should give him credit.

Well – maybe not. :D

Howay the Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

138 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

jail

Totally see you point, i think you agreed with me yesterday when i said we gambled relying on Best to carry us through after carroll left and also on perch to step up knowing taylor was out all season and colo got injured.

I think last summer should have had mbiwa, debuchy to go with anita. Then in jan sissoko, gouff and haidara.

I said i’d judge ashley on this summer just gone, and it wasn’t good, wasn’t terrible…added some much needed pace and goals but still need one or two more.

I think this jan is another good test, we now have money available, we have a solid financial base, we are doing well in the league but we still need one or two to keep pushing on that bit more. Maybe after last january he thought it’s the best time to do business and get deals…we’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Stop brown noseing you two ;-) lol

• 3 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Jesper

leave me be….i’m sat in work so this brown nosing is the highlight of my day haha

• 4 dcdick // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I still don’t rate Pardew as manager.

Struggling until the sending off’s, we could then have gone on to score double figures to bolster up out goal difference if we had pushed hard enough.
    Bringing on Shola…again ?????????

My opinion remains….

Pardew out !!!

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

TS…never fair to work at Christmas (unless you are a doctor I suppose? ;-) )

• 6 scout // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Pardew out Haha
    7 wins in 9……. Get a look at ya sel man

• 7 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

jesper

Especially in the place i work there is very little to do between november and february seems senseless to bring people in over christmas when we just have small amount of work to do which could easily wait until january

• 8 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM

dcdick

I didn’t think pardew could turn things around but he has done the past 2 months, we have turned out passing game into being more progressive and getting more players involved in the final third.

Yes we were poor at the start of the game yesterday but this stoke side aren’t idiots, they beat chelsea only a few weeks back.

• 9 Scottiedog // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Great game yesterday and it was good to see the team working together!! Letting Cisse was perfect and hopefully that will spur him on to get the winner against Arsenal on Sunday :-)

But, my comment on here is really to ask WHY are the people on here who still want Pardew out? We are potentially ONE win from getting into a CL spot!! OR is that not good enough?? My real laugh this Xmas has been that hopefully this T4C crap will now stop and we can all move on as 7 wins in 9 has kind of pi55ed on your fireworks :-D

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Scottiedog,
    If that was your only real laugh this Christmas what an incredibly dull life you must lead on top of being a thoroughly miserable individual.

• 11 AaranD // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Nobody has scored more points than us since the start of November, that is some achievement considering the blistering form of Suarez and City winning every home game!

• 12 Scottiedog // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

JFA = WTF!!

It makes me wonder sometimes if people on here can actually be happy that we are winning and doing well!?!?! With some of the comment on here I seem to think that people would rather we we were losing so NUFC could sack Pardew and get rid of MA! Well I for one am glad we have stuck with Pardew and proving doubters wrong, yes we have not gone out and bought a £40m superstar but the way he has got the team playing should be applauded, surely??

My comment on T4C is purely that the grass is not always greener – Look at Hull, Cardiff for example!!

JFA are you happy we are winning??

• 13 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

scottie

people are against ashley for different reasons though, not all are about on pitch matters

i don’t like how fans have no input into the club, i don’t think he needs our permission but with something big like a stadium name change, it should be put to fans for a vote/discussion and give people chance to explore other avenues to increase revenue first.

It’s not the end of the world, but things like that get people annoyed. Look at the massive cock ups at cardiff changing team colours or hull changing the team name…much worse than anything ashley does but too many owner these days dont consult and respect fans. It might be cultural issue with foreign owners, these things may be less important in their mind.

• 14 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I have been a harsh critic if Pards after giving him so long to sort out the mess the team was in, and I did not expect him to pull things around, but credit where credit is due, it’s a poor fan who still bears a grudge when he has done as asked. Ok, he might have mistakes still in him, but when you consider this job is the first top flight he has had in years, the PL is the graveyard of many so- called ‘top flight’ managers with illustrious careers and many honours backing them up.

It would be a shame for those so-called fans who continue to berate him in good times to get their spiteful wish.

• 15 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Having said that, if we lose to Arsenal on Sunday I doubt it will be a chuckle fest on here afterwards :)

• 16 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

scottie

I dont think anyone wants to see us lose, some are slower to praise than others but i have said many times the past few days i think ashley has steadily improved the squad since we got promoted with the odd blip/gamble which nearly cost us but fortunately didn’t do any long term harm.

I am delighted we are winning, it’s great, i’d love nothing more than us to continue this form and really push for top 4. I don’t think we need a 40mil superstar but now we have some extra tv money 20/30mil extra, we should use that to get some good players either jan or the summer (ideally jan). I don’t mean spend it all on one player but need one or two quality players whether they are 1mil or 100mil isn’t my concern.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

tsunki

Yeh I agree…i could see him trying to change us into more of a passing team but didn’t think he had it in him to get it working as well as it has….so credit is very much due to him.

I’d still like a few technical coaches introduced at various levels of the club though, but that’s not pardews call to make.

• 18 Rotonda heights // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

ed

People have always made the correlation that by not spending big money we haven’t got a good squad. They couldn’t be more wrong.

We have made some stunningly shrewd buys. To get Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye, Debuchy, M’Biwa, Gouffran, Haidara etc at ridiculously low fees shouldn’t be seen as Ash not spending, just very astute spending.

• 19 Scottiedog // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

@TS – I agree that he could be more Fan friendly, but from what I hear he is a very private individual who rarely speaks to his neighbours! BUT maybe he should break the habit of a lifetime and offer an olive branch?

Lets hope we can attack Arsenal from the start as watching the West Ham game highlights it should have been a draw and there defence looks patchy :-)

• 20 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I think we do have a couple of targets in January, of the Carr variety of course, but these are going to be of the sort that won’t draw any tears if they don’t happen. I don’t think Ashley is going to be keen on more January shopping trips, I think he has had a good report about squad strength, and aside from sanctioning a couple of absolute bargains, I believe the remit is for Pardew to sit tight with this squad and see what it can do.

I am also beginning to form a theory that EL may not be viewed as the poisoned chalice after all. For a strengthened squad in the summer, the main disadvantage of competing will be gone, and there are still many advantages to taking part not directly related to actually winning it and taking the prize money.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Scottiedog,
    Of course I’m happy we’re winning and while we are there’s nothing to moan about but giving it ‘in your face T4C’ is a bit out of order as they are trying to force change at the club for the good, excellent that we are winning and so may it continue, but there wouldn’t have been sny talk of protest had we nearly not have been relegated, JfK announcing his arrival and we weren’t told another pack of lies about transfers, this brilliant run of form is disguising Mashleys contempt for the club, however if he spends a few quid in January it might show a semblance of a plan.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I like the lad (Pardew), but for me this about football and whether you like a guy or not…

I judged him om his performance over along period and was not satisfied – I don’t regret that and I have not suddenly changed my stance :)

If he has improved rapidly when the season comes to an end if I’ll change the tune!

Yesterday was a great performance I think – Stoke are no idiots, and I think Pardew got it right. He has done that a lot lately, but we don’t have to go far back when that was not the case (in my book that is)

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

*not whether you like a person or not!

• 24 Rotonda heights // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Tsunki

Quite so, I think we have to be magnaminous and accept Pardew is either listening to players or fans but either way he is listening.

It’s been a long time coming for Pardew to realise that to get the best out of technical players you don’t play negative hoofball, but fair play he seems to have taken that on board at last.

Hopefully with the sending offs yesterday we’ll still have the legs for Arsenal.

• 25 santonthenewmaldini // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

At the moment I am glad that we are playing well and winning games although not getting carried away as we could get brought back down to earth with a bang on Sunday

With our squad we should be top 8 minimum with a bit of luck with injuries we can be top 6

What does worry me though is if we get an injury or suspension to one of our key players like Cabaye and Tiote Pardew cant seem to cope against Southampton and Stoke he has got it wrong and we have been lucky to get points

Yesterday should have seen Arfa in the centre and Sissoko on the right wing but he messed about with it and If not for the red cards who knows what would have happened

He does well with a fully fit squad but the 2nd injuries hit he is all at sea it could be that he worries that our fringe players and youngsters cant step up but he needs to be able to win even with injuries thats what makes you a top manager

Ashley could help the situation by providing 2 or 3 players that Pardew wants and trusts to do a job

• 26 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Sage @ 17 – definitely some technical input required, that seems to be the final piece needed, for example, it would not have taken so long for Hatem to play effectively with this team, he could have been steadily improved while competing rather than being disciplined into it by bring benched. We don’t seem to have the ability to play in fluid triangles, we seem to play into corners until we either get bullied of the ball or somehow manage to dribble the ball out, just minor gripe, but I am sure these things will come.

In all the highs and lows of Pards tenure, one person I have not criticised is Mr Carr. The test of time proves you can be within a fingernails touch of top of the best league with a fraction of the budget of those you are competing with, IF you know your onions. Mr Carr knows his onions all right. :)

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Skunki…leave Mr. Carr’s onions alone will you ;) lol

• 28 Rotonda heights // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Would be tempted to bring MYM back in against Arsenal
    as walcott could have a field day against Colo

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I just got another Christmas present :D

…Justin Bieber will apparently stop making music! Thank you, thank you! lol

• 30 cyprus // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Bills,
    You still around? Dude why do you knock HBA and then say you aren’t? Anyway, I get your point. Still, I disagree. I think HBA deserves to play. MOM and then you bench him? Not fair or right.
    Like I wrote in another post, the problem is who to drop since the whole team (really, no exceptions) is ticking nicely. Solution? One half each to some players.

• 31 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Did Pards get it wrong against Stoke? It was a good, if predictable, goal, but Stoke are a big, nasty side with a renowned piece of work as a manager. Pards was going to shuffle things at half time, and I expected from the off a hard fought 2-1 win for us. But one of the things we did well was keep discipline, and repaid some of those cynical bullying challenges until their composure broke first. The way Stoke were set up I think was their failing, they respected us too much to let us keep the ball, and went too far in trying to suppress us. As far as game plan goes. Pardew got that spot on.

I am only glad Cheick didn’t play. :|

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Speaking about temper; what’s up with Shola’s bad temper the past few seasons?

…he is all beefed up and ill-tempered! That is usually an indication of use of…..well I won’t even go there (it just makes you wonder)

• 33 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Cyprus – exactly, a half each is what Pardew should be looking at. Problem is when it ain’t broke it’s tempting not to fix it. But in a decent sized squad where all are playing reasonably well, HBA coming on in the 2nd half has to be an opposing managers worst nightmare.

• 34 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Jesper – weight training on its own without the use of ‘supplements’ still tends to make your aggression levels rise! I think in Shola case his role as cd bully has brought out the anger a bit more though :)

• 35 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Jesper – whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa…..

Whoa.

- Justin Bieber has been making music?

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Maybe the problem is that some is looking at it as fixing something (hence the reactive stance we have been taking at times…well on most occasions)

…I see it as progressing and having options :)

• 37 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ashley needs to go! Sooner the better!

The players are playing out of there skin. Pardew and the coaching staff are proving once again with a fit squad they are capable of a top 6-8 finish.

Ashley gets zero credit from me for any of this run of form.

He’s a tight git end of, with a very low level of ambition. He damages the club through his lack of consideration time and time again. Sets us up for failure time and time again.

We are where we are because we have been extremely lucky again with injuries just like the season we finished fifth. And another reason just like then we have a few players punching way above there level just like when we finished fifth.

Graham Carr, Alan Pardew and the coaching staff and all the players.

A very well done and cheers for a cracking festive period.

If I dare say we qualify for Europe, by damn he better dip into his very deep pockets and give us a chance to compete and progress as a football club. Our top players will not hang around again like last summer after seeing such a vivid lack of ambition and poor planning.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Skunki…well that was what the newspaper was saying! I am just quoting lol

• 39 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

scottie

For me it doesn’t even need to be Ashley to speak out, if he wants to keep himself quiet thats ok with me, but he needs some sensible people be a good go between, between him and the fans instead of silence.

Rotonda

I’d also be tempted with mbiwa but think colo will stay in, hopefully santon and gouff do a job on walcott and keep him out of the game. He is a good player on his day but doesn’t produce anywhere near enough.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Tsunki….well lets hope that’s the case! All I am seeing is one angry man ;)

…probably a good thing he didn’t start yesterday lol

• 41 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

prodigy

what do you mean they wont hang around? they are udner contract and he wont sell them cheap just because they throw a tantrum.

I’m not huge ashley fan but he is steadily building a squad which improves every season. Yes he could do more and gamble less but still got us some brilliant players in.

• 42 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

jesper

i don’t think he is taking anything, quite a few drug tests so would show up.

I think ameobi has been like that for a while, i think it’s more frustration at himself/his own body for not working as well as it used to….injuries over time taking their toll

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

TS…I am not saying nor hoping he is taking anything, but something has been up the past few seasons and he can be very frustrating and aggressive!

…he makes Tiote look like a baby lamb at times :D lol

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

…and it is definitely not doing us as a team wonders (well if you ask me)

• 45 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Aye Scottiedog, fair question given that we’re sitting 6th, won 7 from 9 yet Pardew’s still not up to it.

The Pardew out brigade are of course entitled to voice their opinions but most of ‘em don’t have a good word for anything Newcastle United under Ashley’s control.

Some of those guys don’t appear to be happy unless they’re whining about MA, AP, Wonga, Sports Direct etc abd maybe the S4C supporters should share their opinions on a site dedicated to it and that way they’d avoid the criticism and so-called abuse they get on this site?

No offence to those who feel they’ve been harshly criticised but if the cap fits maybe contributing to a site shared by like-minded contributors.

Provocative? Me? Wide open to be battered? Probably.

• 46 Thump // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I kind of agree with Scottie, actually. While it’s hard to put any argument against Pardew at the moment, I’m still not sure he’s the man to take us forward. As always, I’d love him to prove me wrong.

Ashley, on the other hand, is a very different story. The sooner he’s gone, the better.

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

On a side note!

Do any of you guys have a Win 8 smartphone and if so are you happy with it?

Just got a Nokia Lumia 925 for Christmas – have heard alot of good things about it (I use to have an Android smartphone)

My brother use to have an Iphone, but recommended a Win 8 phone to me!

• 48 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Correction.. S4C = T4C

• 49 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Transfer,

Under contract means nothing these days and they will slap in transfer requests if we do not show some level of ambition as a football club. Everyone has dod there jobs properly, while he is here he needs to do his. The five frenchman we brought in were to stay in the league and reep the benefits of the new TV money. His hand was forced, they wern’t brought in as a sign of ambition. If it was, they would of already been brought in through the summer when we clearly needing reinforcements.

For me, he is not assembling a good squad slowly, he is just keeping us a float in this league with the bare minimum. All our players are for sale and Ashley did not pick these players or find them, he gave the go ahead because they were either cheap or there was a loop hole or a bargain to be had. It’s a clear lack of ambition for me.

For me, he needs to reward these players and coaching staff with backing and incentives and good proper planning. Not gambles, which we see all too often.

• 50 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

jesper

I think shola is a useful player to have, can be very technical and play good passes but the problem is, and always has been, consistency.

I think he knows he isn’t capable of playing the same pace as the others and as a true fan of the club as well, he will be annoyed at himself if he thinks he is holding his team back. I think that’s the problem for him.

Also the club seem to have acknowledged his age/influence and decided not to renew his contract and look for an upgrade.

If he is to leave I hope he finds a good club, even dropping down a league, and can do well. I’d love to see him go to boro and help them get promoted.

• 51 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew

Yup, I’ve got a Lumia 820 and it’s a fiddle to use. Many positives to it having Windows 8 driving it. Wireless links to your windows driven pc ensures emails, calendars etc are synchronised for example.

On the downside, it seems that not all apps are compatible with Windows phones but that’ll change as time goes on.

• 52 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Keeper – a correction to @51

it’s a DODDLE to use, not a fiddle!

• 53 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

lesh…that is good to hear :)

…my worry was the app side of it, but has told the same as you just told me by others!

I just wanted a change of scenery and Apple can kiss my @ss lol

• 54 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ffs….. A correction to @52……

Keeper = Jesper.

Forgot to mention the lumia’s spell check!!

• 55 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

prodigy

I agree they 5 lads were brought in during january to keep us in the league…but in fairness he did trusting carr on the players he said.

I think it’s very hard to predict anything, as when we were doing well we signed cisse, then got the 5 the following year. I think we need to do more but their seems to be no plan to transfers except buy when desperate or when a good deal comes…not always when we need players.

I don’t think there is some goal of top 6 in 3 years, top 4 in 5 years for example….i think the plan is to simply keep improving as and when players we want become available and see where we end up, which I am happy with…would love more but being realistic to properly challenge the top 4 every year is hard with the current top 4 and man utd all having much more money available than us.

As for transfer requests, they mean nothing, it’s a request, the club still hold the power and dont have to sell. Ashley wont sell unless a player runs down his contract or we get a good offer…he wont sell due to a transfer request.

What he should be doing is offering contract extensions to people like cabaye not while we are flying high and he might be more tempted to put pen to paper.

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

lesh…how about spelling? is that a problem on a Nokia Lumia phone?

…just asking ;) lol

• 57 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

….but in all fairness lesh, I am truly a keeper ;)

*just ask manxpie!

• 58 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

jesperfuglsang….. The spelling problem is me not checking before posting!

Don’t worry too much about the apps, time will solve that.

Forgot to mention the excellent camera and its compatibility with your pc – even if the pc’s using windows 7.

• 59 70TWO // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Would Sissoko be considered an upgrade on Shola?

I ask because it seems the consensus are saying Sissoko did not have a very good game as a central midfielder and he could potentially loose his wing position to HBA. If this is the case which position is he?

• 60 Anita the Legend // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Does anyone know how/where I could get my hands on a pair of tickets for Arsenal this Sunday?!

I’m really trying hard to find done but it’s proving rather difficult thus far.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated! :-)

• 61 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

70two

I think he is best out right at the moment and would keep him there, but i do think in time he will develop as a centre mid…certainly not a striker for me.

• 62 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

70TWO…no need to worry mate we need all 22-23 players to cheep in :)

• 63 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

anita the legend

I just had a look on the clubs official website, there are still tickets left in a lot of blocks…only appear to be the odd pairing with most just single tickets.

Either buy online (need to create account with the club) or ring the ticket office and ask, be able to collect on the day from the stadium

0844 372 1892

I think thats the box office number for tickets.

• 64 scout // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

No chance Ben arfa will start against arsenal after his show last year. His dribble until you lose it won’t go down well against this gunners midfield

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

lesh…thanks for the info mate :-)

…looking forward to using the phone!

• 66 70TWO // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Unless some of the existing players are sold I can not see Ashley investing significantly in the squad. It has been said already that he will continue to look for cut price deals, especially now the current first team players are doing well. When he bought Cisse it was £10M odd, in the hope to push the team in to the CL and looking at the player now I doubt Ashley will repeat that sort of out lay.

Lets just hope he suddenly clicks in to life again against Arsenal…..just preparing myself for the worst!

• 67 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Transfer,

As a football club, we cannot stagnate or take risks like Ashley is fond of doing. We are a mid-table club doing well at the moment.

Cisse was bought for 9 million but only because they knew they would get that back. And they will do if the club chooses to sell regardless of his poor form of late.

It seems we only buy to make money. Rarely will you see Ashley lose money on players which is great for the club but it is not a positive or an ambitious outlook being a stepping stone club, which is what we are run as. We are supposed to be in the business of winning trophies, the structure in place goes against that for me.

All I see is gambles upon gambles season after season. That outlook won’t change unless I see these gambles stamped out and I see him genuinely giving this football club the best planning we are capable of and quality preperation to compete at the start of each season. I.e reinforceing, making enough money available.

The players and coaching/scouting staff have all did there jobs well and have proved twice now they are capable of competing at the top half of the league if given the chance. For me it’s time to progress but Ashley holds the keys, I don’t want to see another missed opportunity to progress like two years ago.

Ashley has to show ambition or go. He gets zero credit from me for any good doing this club shows. We could progress if he is willing to change his structure of the club and the worst part is it wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to do so. To me, we are a few quality players short of grabbing European football each year and giving us quality in depth.

On transfers, sooner or later if a player is genuinely unhappy or seeks a move for ambition he is going to go. You cannot keep unhappy footballers at a club they do not want to be at. It filters through every channel of the club.

I don’t think I seek much as a fan, I just want the best planning and the best possible chance we have as a club to compete. I don’t think Ashley does this at NUFC.

I think we are capable of alot more if he got his act together.

• 68 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

scout

I’m looking forward to the arsenal game now…i think they are slightly off form and we are bang in it…set for a cracker.

I think it will be a worry for them a poor west ham made 3/4 very good chances against them, chances our boys would probably have put away, they won’t be looking forward to playing us.

• 69 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Got to dash, have fun lads

• 70 MassiveG // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I think against Arsenal we have make sure our CMs are in their positions where they played well v Palace. That means Tiote Cabaye and Anita. Against Stoke pulling them all across didn’t work and Sissoko is better on the right. It’s very hard to see who to drop against Arsenal as Gouff is also playing well. I’m tempted to say Ben Arfa for Remy as Anita plays well in CM with the other two…

• 71 Ancientcoptic // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I am expecting nothing out of the Arsenal game, I am just looking forward to watching a good game. Before the Stoke game, I would have taken 3 points from 2 games very very happily.

There is no shame is getting beaten by Arsenal, this is very classy side with possibly the best coach in the world.

All of our fixtures in January look winnable, apart from Man City.

We can drop 3 points against Arsenal without being worried… don’t get your hopes up – we can write this game off as an affordable loss..

Away to West Brom – Jan 1st, is when we return to battle.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

prodigy

On players leaving, that’s usually the case but colo wanted to go in the winter and cabaye wanted to go this summer and we held on, i know it can only go for so long but they are doing well keeping them here, Ashley would rather have a miserable player than sell and not make as much money, thats then pardews problem not his.

As for making our money back on cisse…i’d very much doubt we’d get 9/10mil for the lad now, just my opinion of course, i may well be wrong.

But using your argument of he’d get his money back for cisse well the same could be said about why we’d buy another player for 10 mil, we’d get our money back.

I agree we only buy if there is potential for breaking even/making a profit, thats why we buy either young or cheap or both. I’m ok with that.

Yes we should kick on more but looking at our squad, baring in mind we got relegated (I accept ashley cocked up with managers that year 100%) but since then we have built a good squad and have probably the 7/8th best squad in the league…comfortably ahead of 9th best team too i feel.

I honestly thing we have a better midfield than man utd and arguably a defence on par with most of theirs…they just have much better forwards.

I’m not saying Ashley is a saint, and doing everything 100% right but for me he is doing much better than he used to and i’ll wait and see what turns up in january before getting too worried.

• 73 JackButler // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Merry Xmas gents, hope you all had a great time :D

• 74 mindshaft // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

To be fair we’ve done well shopping in the bargain basement (when Ash can be arsed to release the odd quid or two), however while everyone else is shopping at Harrods we’re stuck in Aldi and while it all kooks the same on the table, ultimately the high end stuff is usually better in the king run
    I’m reckon we’ll end the season 7th or 8th
    That’s pretty good considering last years debacle

• 75 Thump // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@Ancientcoptic: Agreed, but we’ve beaten Man U, Chelsea, Spurs so why not go for the 3 points? To be honest, I’m of the mind that we may as well shoot for top spot given how mental the league is this year. A 6 point gap is all that separates us, after all.

Not saying that we’ll win the league, of course… but it’s nice to aim!

• 76 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I now its not a geek blog but I just have to put in a plug for the much-scorned (mstly by google and apple ad machine) Blackberry, After a brief foray with an android phone and my experience with my android tablet, I appreciate my Z10 for not knowing everythng down to the wash instructions on my pants at any one time, and its ability to do just the stuff need it to do, emails, web, BBM etc very fast and securely without any snoopware crap. My missus has the z30 thats a real nice phone, and as for the lack of apps – thats its strength not a weakness imho. Tech rant over.

I am beginning to agree more now with the idea that Pards and his staff have achieved results depsite our illustrious and rotund owner. Ashley is a petulant child in a fat body with a damaging amount of cash and a will to spite all in his path. Possibly the playing staff under a proper owner could work bigger magic?

• 77 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

mindshaft

i wish aldi…its very good german food…not sure where we are haha.

• 78 Ancientcoptic // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Thump – I could not agree more, we should be going for it. I just hope that people do not take it too badly if we do get beat, because it would not the end of the world… we have created the breathing space to lose a game, and still be able to crack on with our good season.

• 79 70TWO // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Arsenal are vulnerable, but how to exploit their weaknesses? Shola as a battering ram, speed around the sides or both? Pardew could put Shola up front and Remy left wing instead of Gouffran as a natural wide man going around the outside. Would a front three of Remy – Shola – Sissoko trouble there defense enough? Or would HBA – Remy – Gouffran be better?

———–Shola
    Remy – Cabaye – Sissoko
    ——Tiote – Anita
    Santon -CD-CD- Debuchy

• 80 danishmag // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

any strong rumours on the transfer front?

Not that i think, we are in a need of anything atm, but should be building on the team.

The starting line up, have mostly been cheap buys, and i think it impossible to bring in better players to the starting line up, unless alot of money is on the table.

• 81 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think its our best opportunity to turn Arsenal over for a long time though. If koscielny stays out they dont look that great at the back. Santon need to be swapped out its not because he lacks pace its that his positioning is still almost laughably poor at times and Walcott will bury him. If we can get HBA just behind remy and play sissoko a bit deeper (he is absolutely useless man on man going forward and cannot time a pass in the last third) so he can cut through mid with his running, we might nick this one.

• 82 Thump // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

@Ancient: Definitely. I’m ecstatic with how well we’ve performed in most of the games this season so top 6 would have me absolutely beaming. Top 4 and I’d be in my element. Win the league and I’ll run through the streets pissing brown ale on the locals.

• 83 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM

tsunki

koscielny played against west ham…they still gifted them a lot of chances though.

• 84 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Sage – yeah he was touch and go but thankfully he added his measly point to my fantasy team :). Often players who are pushed back into the team after injury end up out next game or so, I am hoping it will happen to him or he will at least be under par.

• 85 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

scratch that he didnt earn any points :).

• 86 AMEOBI // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Baffled at some comments. Pardew out?! Geez, sitting 2 points of champions league after Christmas that’s some achievement. Honestly get a grip you’ve not supported Newcastle long enough if this isn’t good!

• 87 scout // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Sage
    Well said mate, also the place will be rocking. If we beat them and he gets 2 top players in, dare we dream of the champions league??

• 88 scout // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

You can still get 500/1 we will the prem, the Mackems must be well gutted all three bottom clubs won

• 89 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Sage yo caught me out there, I was certain Koscielny got me a measly point but I checked my FPL side and he was autosubbed with zero. He didnt play mate.

I did so badly that day :(

Still, looks more like he wont feature which is good, they have good cover at back but they wont be settled without him, he is a decent player, one of the better FB’s in the league imo.

• 90 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Some of Pardew’s tactics have to be criticised; Anita is too lightweight and shows just how good Mr T is at breaking play up. Santon isn’ t as good as Haidara, moving Sissoko into the centre and playing Gouffran on the right just doesn’ t work. Apart from that we’ll still beat Arsenal 3-1!

• 91 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Anita’s too lightweight for what? He distributes the ball better than Tiote, plays a different game entirely really. He’s not like for like, h brings a different style to midfield altogether. Your comment baffles me roy.

• 92 Tsunki // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

And how is Tiote’s suspension a Pardew tactical mistake?

One agreed is that Sissoko should not be deployed to far forward, he is wasteful.

• 93 pottsclock // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Time for Haidara at left back from what we can see on the pitch. Otherwise I fear for us on that side against Arsenal.
    However, the coaching staff see the players in training and only they will know whether he or Dummet are player better in training and fully fit.
    The irony is that left-back is one of the strongest squad areas we have.

• 94 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

tsunki

did he not? what have i been watching haha…i was sure he missed a header when west ham got a chance….i’m seeing things.

well i hope he stays out as they aren’t as good without him.

• 95 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM

potts

it is odd that we keep bringing haidara on…maybe it’s pardew trying to get him used to the team so when he does takes santons place he is ready and fits in

• 96 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

@90 its obvious by your comments that you know nothing about football. Anita was shocking until the sendings off allowed him space and comparing him to tiote just adds to your ignorance.

• 97 pottsclock // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I’m not sure who we could sensibly have played in the middle in place of Tiote other than Anita who has been fabulous overall so far and unlucky not to start every game.

• 98 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Tsunki…so you are happy with your Blackberry?

…there really isn’t a marked for Blackberries here in DK (always thought it was a businessphone?)

• 99 Ted Bundy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Roy

Is that why Anita won 7/7 challenges against Palace and Tiote won 1/9? I hate false axioms that only hold any weight because they get repeated so often everybody unthinkingly believes them without looking at the facts.

• 100 Ted Bundy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Anita wasn’t shocking, he was below-par, like everyone on our team bar HBA, before the first sending off, then Anita produced a wonderful through ball, which if it hadn’t been perfectly executed, wouldn’t have resulted in the pen and second dismissal.

Roy, you’re full of shite.

• 101 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Can’t say I understand the logic that T4C’s aims are suffering given our good run of form.

Ashley has had no part to play in the decent run of form we have been on, in fact, we are doing well in spite of his lack of investment and in spite of the ludicrous decision to appoint Joke Kinnear as the man in charge of our transfer dealings.

Pardew has shown himself to be a decent manager and while some say that ‘Ashley decision to retain Pardew has a lot to do with our run of form’ that, to me, is a nonsense statement. There are better managers out there who may get even more out of this team, so to say that keeping Pardew is the reason we are doing well is bulls*** of the highest order.

T4C does not rely on bad results to try and effect change, so in the same token, good results do not negatively effect their aims either.

Do people not realise that T4C is run by, and supported by, Newcastle United supporters who only want to see their club do well on the pitch, and be run well off the pitch. Ashley has committed enough ills to warrant a section of the support to say enough is enough and try and enforce change.

If you do not support what they are doing then that is your own choice, but do not slate them for trying to do something positive for the club, and them label them as wanting the club to do badly.

• 102 pottsclock // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

TS @94
    Good point and spot on. All bets off for who starts at LB v Arsenal

• 103 calvinho // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Afternoon all. I’m sure Ben Arfa won’t start against Arsenal. I think Pardew will play it safe and play Gouffran & Sissoko out wide. I’m confident that Colo & Williamson will deal with Giroud. However, i think it’ll be 0-0 after 1hr, Shola & Ben Afra will be on.

• 104 Tommyy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I’m fully expecting our fantastic run to fall crashing back to earth against Arsenal, they’re a better side simple as that and we struggle against sides who play it on the deck and stretch us. I’d happily take a draw now and I’d be satisfied with a competitive loss, as long as we show we’re capable of playing at that level and create some chances.

• 105 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ted your another dull- thud that believes all the stats. I’m telling you Anita isn’t as good as Tiote and its a good thing Pardew knows that to be a fact as well. Anita will be benched on sunday for the superior Tiote.

• 106 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Sage

I think Pardew is switched on enough to know that out of the two players, Haidara is much the better defender, and from the snippets I’ve seen of him at LB, he is more direct and effective going forward.

Personally, I think the sooner Santon is sitting on the bench, the better our defence will be.

• 107 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Ted go and boil your nappa!

• 108 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Roy

Superior at what? Tiote is a more physical player, and is perhaps more superior at tackling, though Ted’s stats are interesting. However, Anita is vastly superior at passing a ball.

If you are going to compare players in that role I think a fairer comparison would be to see Sissoko playing that deep CDM role and see how he compares as Anita would be much better than Sissoko further up the field.

• 109 calvinho // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I think this debate around Tiote vs Anita can’t be called as they both are different types of players. I think Anita struggles in a midfield 4 as he’s not really defensive and not really attacking. So the modern day midfield has one sitting and one pressing. he is much more effective in a midfield 5 alongside a sitter and a presser. You can look at other midfields in the prem, there are many midfielders who struggle when in a midfield 4.

• 110 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Ciaran we’ve heard all your tripe go and organise a protest march against the evil Ashley.

• 111 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Well said Calvinho but your wasting your time on these clowns who think Anita is a top midfield player they used to crow about Perch and Guthrie so enough said there.

• 112 LEROI // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM

When we scored our 4th or 5th goal yesterday i looked at remy’s face as he & the other 4/5 players thanked the supporters and he looked the happiest I’ve ever seen him. I hope that was the moment the light went on above his head and he thought ok this IS the club i need to play for great team mates an amazing support !

• 113 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Roy

Just showing yourself up there kid.

• 114 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM

roy

Anita plays a different position/style to tiote so a direct comparison isn’t right i don’t think. I have always said though if we have only 2 in midfield i’d always pick tiote and cabaye first.

I think, as I have said many times, Anita does the basics very well but in order to be a top player he needs to add another string to his bow…he isn’t out and out defensive, neither offensive, doesn’t have a big goal threat, doesn’t spray long 50 yard balls well….he’s just very good at keeping the play ticking over and mopping up.

I think he is a good player, but to really stake a claim in the side he needs to start adding a bit more to his game.

• 115 Dannyo // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

You lot reckon Pardew should win manager of the month again if we win against Arsenal?

• 116 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Dannyo

Nope. Got hammered by Swansea and only drew at home to Southampton. It’s been a good month, especially with away wins to Palace and Man U, but not good enough to warrant manager of the month in my view.

• 117 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Anyone here remember one of the finest defensive midfielders the UK has ever seen, Jonny Giles? You could fit him in your pocket.

The fact that people allude to being lightweight as a valid reason shows a lack o football knowledge. Anita is a neat and tidy defensive midfielder. He isn’t going to hammer anyone with big tackles, but he is able to cover ground and nick the ball away from opponents.

HE is far more intelligent than Tiote. He covers far better when one of our full backs pushes forward, and because he knows how to play the role then he can slot seamlessly in.

IS he better than Tiote? Play the role very differently so it is impossible to have a fair comparison. The 2 of them with Cabaye is an outstanding unit, and has been key in improving our possession of the ball.

• 118 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

roy, you think Anita is shit?? haha you then know nothing about football, Anita is very good midfielder, in his positional play is way better than Tiote, you cant see him in bad time tackles, very clever when Debuchy or Santon pushing up and good with and without ball as well, he isnt so physical, thats all, Tiote is very important player, and when you are talking about 4 or 5 man midfield, we looked better when in 5 man midfield, and in yesterday game, who gave that great pass to Remy, yes it was Anita. Second red card and penalty, that second red card win us match the way we did it.

• 119 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It isn’t really a coincidence that the only time it has worked this season for a central 3 in midfield is with Tiote, Cabaye and Anita.

• 120 Ted Bundy // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ruddy -

Few problems: we’ve got our highest points total at this stage in a decade, which was only once surpassed by the late, great SBR during his tenure, we have a world class fitness expert overseeing our players health for the first time ever and we’re seemingly reaping the rewards, we’re investing in equally world class training facilities and have a reputable scouting/transfer strategy, all this while being one of two clubs in the league that operate on a sure-footed financial basis, yet we have the cheapest tickets in the league and the other club has the dearest.

We’re going to make a whopping profit this year in football terms and if what we’re led to believe is true, with self-sufficiency being the remit, that’ll be available for transfers.

Everything isn’t rosy, there have been numerous blunders to balance those positives out, but overall this club is improving in nearly every area now, apart from PR :lol: , so I just don’t see the merit in T4Cs movement. For me, for every straw that has been loaded onto the camels back, one has been taken off. You can quibble about the likes of JFK, but since his horrifying opening interviews in which he made a fool of himself, nobody else, he’s had the reigns put on him and isn’t having any perceivable negative impact.

You’d have thought the financial sobriety and structural stability MA has brought to the club would be welcomed and supported by T4C, given their objective is the removal of MA – well he’s certainly increasing the chances of that, we’re ripe for potential buyers now.

Seems to me, when it boils down to it, they’re upset MA won’t crassly chuck money at the club and want somebody that will.

Ibiza’s fence is greatly under populated, in my opinion and I’m just enjoying the ride.

A win on Sunday and there are no bounds on what we can achieve this season and with PL football guaranteed next season, maybe, just maybe, MA will release that extra TV revenue early and back a charge on the top 4.

• 121 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

If you want to compare Anita to a DM that played in the Prem Makele is the one most like him in style. Intelligent, comfortable on the ball, not spectacular pushing forward and unlikely to put in bone breaking tackles. Knew his role superbly though.

• 122 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM

And for me, it is time to bring MYM or Haidara to LB ahead of Santon for Arsenal game. We need 4 solid backs defensively, for me Mbiwa should play, because he is defensively very good and played LB vs Arsenal and was great in that game. His pace and physical game would be big bonus in that LB position agains Walcot

• 123 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Ted

Our current points total has nothing to do with Ashley so that is an irrelevant factor.

Lack of ambition in transfer windows.
    Lack of respect shown to Keegan and Shearer.
    Renaming St James’ Park.
    Sacking of Hughton.
    Constantly putting our players in the shop window, and being told we are financially behind the likes of Southampton.
    Decision to appoint Kinnear

Sit on the fence if you want, but others don’t agree with you and choose to do something about it.

• 124 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

ToonFan8,
    Agreed, I said that earlier. Get MYM in for Santon to combat Walcott.

• 125 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Lilongwe…we are not that old mate ;) lol

• 126 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I disagree that we’re in a period of financial stability either, because we are in more debt now than we ever were, and while that may just be to Ashley himself, the fact that he has attached that debt to the sale price is putting off potential buyers.

• 127 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ciaran,
    You can’t say Ashley has nothing to do with our good run. This is a squad built by him and his advisors. Particularly if you then blame him for not doing enough in the window.

I have also never heard Ashley try and sell one of our players, or tell us we can’t compete financially with Southampton. That was Pardew, so if he is responsible for the bad done by Pardew then he must be credited for the good as well.

Of course he has dropped some massive clangers, and they should be the focus, but your arguments contradict what he is responsible for.

• 128 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Adam Campbell has joined St. Mirren on loan as soon as January rolls around. It’s been confirmed from the club.

• 129 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Jesper,
    Really??? I had you down as easily old enough to remember that!! Wise head on young shoulders perhaps, or is it senility setting in young…. ;-)

• 130 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Lilongwe

Pardew deals with the tactics and the on-pitch matters, however Pardew is then in charge of relaying Ashley’s messages to the fans. You cannot simply say ‘if Ashley takes no credit for AP’s good, he is not to blame for the bad’ it’s not that simple.

So no, I do not see a contradiction.

• 131 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Ciaran,
    But Pardew picks players provided to him by Ashley. If Ashley hadn’t bought very good players we wouldn’t be where we are.

Pardew is in charge of relaying Ashleys messages to the fans?? Or does he respond to questions asked of him when he comes up with things like that. Pure supposition.

No, nothing is clear cut. Maybe you should remember that next time you think abut the pros and cons of Mike Ashley mate.

• 132 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Ciaran…Ashley made some big mistakes, but in early times. Now he cant speak to the media, but we have very good squad, Soton or Swansea have squads nowhere near our squad, we have Krul, international for Holland, Santon Italy, Colo Argentina, Debuchy,Tiote,Sissoko,Ben Arfa France, Tiote Ivory Coast…Gouffran maybe soon for France, Anita already capped in Holland…these players all brought by Ashley….Haidara 21 France…so I think we are going right way…bringing players for right price, why spend 12,5M on Wanyama, when you can bring Cabaye 4,5, Tiote 3,5, Sissoko 2 and Anita 6,7….all for 16,7 and all internationals

• 133 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

ciaran

I have softened my stance on ashley, after looking around the prem league i can’t see many better owners who are running things better than he is.

i’m sure you wont agree with that, but i cant name many better owners…obvious two of city and chelsea but they have silly money to throw away

• 134 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Sage,
    I haven’t softened my stance. Still don’t particularly like him, and would be more than happy to see him out, but there are positive things he has done to which people seem to ignore completely, just because they only want to see stuff that supports their argument. Same goes for people with Pardew and players. As Ciaran said, it just isn’t as clear cut.

• 135 tarie4 // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Ciaran There is no way you can say Ashley has nothing to do with our good form!!! This is the team he bought, and the manager he stood by last season. Also please tell me when he has ever put our players in the shop window?? What i do know is that he overvalues our players in order to scare away potential suitors. Come on lad, if we where in the relegation zone. You would attribute that to Ashley, you probably would. So why not give him some praise when we are flying in 6th.

• 136 dcdick // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ah well not to popular today…..

I still don’t rate Pardew as a manager, he is managing/coaching (whatever you call it these days) a good squad who are playing well at the moment.

Who would I have to replace him ? …………………it’s more, who would come to Newcastle !

We are still fragile in defence with too many people making too many mistakes

I often wonder how we would get on with one of the more experienced PL managers.

I’ce been watching Newcastle since 1950 & have seen many managers come & go, some good, some bad & some just crazy.

The fact remains that Joe Harvey was the last manager to deliver a cup & he and no-body else has done any better than win promotion since.

Even “The Entertainers” under Keegan didn’t manage to deliver the Title or a Cup………….close , yes “but no cigar” as they say.

Maybe Pardew can really be the one ??……….. if it turns out that in a couple of years he does deliver Titles/Cups/Respect, I’ll be the first to apologise & get myself to Fenwick’s to book some window space. !!

However until then ………….

Pardew out !!!

• 137 fareasttoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Play the same team against Palace and maybe in the same color too ;)
    Plan b if we cant out pass Arsenal is 442 with Shola as the battering ram to rough up the crying babies and create some space for the other players to attack.
    Which ever the plan, don’t play the same as against Swansea as both are passing team.

• 138 fareasttoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Brilliant bang for buck thanks to Carr

I am happy to see newcastle doing well. I must also admit some results went our way as we didn’t really dominate the games. We had some 1 nil wins and draws and you know these games.

I don’t think we are good enough to challenge the top 4 consistently. We need to keep bringing in better players and develop our younger ones to achieve the top 4.

Some great managers had their breaks. Pardew should be given a chance with a decent squad. At the moment he seems to be a good man manager and average tactician. Give him another season and see where he can take us.

previous post: This Player Our Man Of The Match – He Was Simply Brilliant