There’s No Way Newcastle Should Be Challenging These Sides

Given the money four of the teams above us in the league – Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool – have spent on their players over the last few years, there’s just no way Newcastle should be challenging those teams at the top of the Premier League, but we are and that’s down to some great buys Newcastle have made over the last couple of years in the transfer market – and mainly from France – and the main credit for that has to go to Chief Scout Graham Carr.

graham carr - closeup

Graham Carr – helped bring some great players into the club

Six Frenchman started the game yesterday for Newcastle against Stoke, and three of them scored – Loic Remy got two to take his haul to 10 goals for the season,  Yoan Gouffran scored to make his personal total 7, and Yohan Cabaye scored his 5th goal of the season, and it was great to see Papiss Cisse smash home that late penalty for his first PL goal, and his second goal overall of the season.

Next up for Newcastle are league leaders Arsenal on Sunday, and Alan Pardew has talked about the top London side, who paid out £42.5M on just one player – Mesut Ozil – in the summer,  and that’s more than Newcastle have paid out over many seasons in the transfer market on all their players.

Arsenal have never finished out of the top four since manager Arsene Wenger took over way back in 1996, and this is what Alan Pardew said today:

“It is a difficult game for both of us, so let’s see how we match up.”  “We have depth and a lot of quality and we are working very hard.”

“We are difficult to beat.” “Our fans want to win things, which we have not been near for years.”  “It is nice to have a team which is competitive.”

It’s better than nice to have a good team – it’s simply great – and let’s also give some credit to Alan Pardew and the players, because they have completely turned things around over the last 9 games with a fantastic 7 wins and 22 points – that deserves credit whoever the manager is.

Even those fans who don’t rate Alan Pardew and want him out of the club, should give him credit.

Well – maybe not. 😀

Howay the Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

jail

Totally see you point, i think you agreed with me yesterday when i said we gambled relying on Best to carry us through after carroll left and also on perch to step up knowing taylor was out all season and colo got injured.

I think last summer should have had mbiwa, debuchy to go with anita. Then in jan sissoko, gouff and haidara.

I said i’d judge ashley on this summer just gone, and it wasn’t good, wasn’t terrible…added some much needed pace and goals but still need one or two more.

I think this jan is another good test, we now have money available, we have a solid financial base, we are doing well in the league but we still need one or two to keep pushing on that bit more. Maybe after last january he thought it’s the best time to do business and get deals…we’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Stop brown noseing you two 😉 lol

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Jesper

leave me be….i’m sat in work so this brown nosing is the highlight of my day haha

• dcdick

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I still don’t rate Pardew as manager.

Struggling until the sending off’s, we could then have gone on to score double figures to bolster up out goal difference if we had pushed hard enough.
    Bringing on Shola…again ?????????

My opinion remains….

Pardew out !!!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

TS…never fair to work at Christmas (unless you are a doctor I suppose? 😉 )

• scout

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Pardew out Haha
    7 wins in 9……. Get a look at ya sel man

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

jesper

Especially in the place i work there is very little to do between november and february seems senseless to bring people in over christmas when we just have small amount of work to do which could easily wait until january

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM

dcdick

I didn’t think pardew could turn things around but he has done the past 2 months, we have turned out passing game into being more progressive and getting more players involved in the final third.

Yes we were poor at the start of the game yesterday but this stoke side aren’t idiots, they beat chelsea only a few weeks back.

• Scottiedog

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Great game yesterday and it was good to see the team working together!! Letting Cisse was perfect and hopefully that will spur him on to get the winner against Arsenal on Sunday 🙂

But, my comment on here is really to ask WHY are the people on here who still want Pardew out? We are potentially ONE win from getting into a CL spot!! OR is that not good enough?? My real laugh this Xmas has been that hopefully this T4C crap will now stop and we can all move on as 7 wins in 9 has kind of pi55ed on your fireworks 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Scottiedog,
    If that was your only real laugh this Christmas what an incredibly dull life you must lead on top of being a thoroughly miserable individual.

• AaranD

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Nobody has scored more points than us since the start of November, that is some achievement considering the blistering form of Suarez and City winning every home game!

• Scottiedog

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

JFA = WTF!!

It makes me wonder sometimes if people on here can actually be happy that we are winning and doing well!?!?! With some of the comment on here I seem to think that people would rather we we were losing so NUFC could sack Pardew and get rid of MA! Well I for one am glad we have stuck with Pardew and proving doubters wrong, yes we have not gone out and bought a £40m superstar but the way he has got the team playing should be applauded, surely??

My comment on T4C is purely that the grass is not always greener – Look at Hull, Cardiff for example!!

JFA are you happy we are winning??

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

scottie

people are against ashley for different reasons though, not all are about on pitch matters

i don’t like how fans have no input into the club, i don’t think he needs our permission but with something big like a stadium name change, it should be put to fans for a vote/discussion and give people chance to explore other avenues to increase revenue first.

It’s not the end of the world, but things like that get people annoyed. Look at the massive cock ups at cardiff changing team colours or hull changing the team name…much worse than anything ashley does but too many owner these days dont consult and respect fans. It might be cultural issue with foreign owners, these things may be less important in their mind.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I have been a harsh critic if Pards after giving him so long to sort out the mess the team was in, and I did not expect him to pull things around, but credit where credit is due, it’s a poor fan who still bears a grudge when he has done as asked. Ok, he might have mistakes still in him, but when you consider this job is the first top flight he has had in years, the PL is the graveyard of many so- called ‘top flight’ managers with illustrious careers and many honours backing them up.

It would be a shame for those so-called fans who continue to berate him in good times to get their spiteful wish.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Having said that, if we lose to Arsenal on Sunday I doubt it will be a chuckle fest on here afterwards 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

scottie

I dont think anyone wants to see us lose, some are slower to praise than others but i have said many times the past few days i think ashley has steadily improved the squad since we got promoted with the odd blip/gamble which nearly cost us but fortunately didn’t do any long term harm.

I am delighted we are winning, it’s great, i’d love nothing more than us to continue this form and really push for top 4. I don’t think we need a 40mil superstar but now we have some extra tv money 20/30mil extra, we should use that to get some good players either jan or the summer (ideally jan). I don’t mean spend it all on one player but need one or two quality players whether they are 1mil or 100mil isn’t my concern.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

tsunki

Yeh I agree…i could see him trying to change us into more of a passing team but didn’t think he had it in him to get it working as well as it has….so credit is very much due to him.

I’d still like a few technical coaches introduced at various levels of the club though, but that’s not pardews call to make.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

ed

People have always made the correlation that by not spending big money we haven’t got a good squad. They couldn’t be more wrong.

We have made some stunningly shrewd buys. To get Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye, Debuchy, M’Biwa, Gouffran, Haidara etc at ridiculously low fees shouldn’t be seen as Ash not spending, just very astute spending.

• Scottiedog

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

@TS – I agree that he could be more Fan friendly, but from what I hear he is a very private individual who rarely speaks to his neighbours! BUT maybe he should break the habit of a lifetime and offer an olive branch?

Lets hope we can attack Arsenal from the start as watching the West Ham game highlights it should have been a draw and there defence looks patchy 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I think we do have a couple of targets in January, of the Carr variety of course, but these are going to be of the sort that won’t draw any tears if they don’t happen. I don’t think Ashley is going to be keen on more January shopping trips, I think he has had a good report about squad strength, and aside from sanctioning a couple of absolute bargains, I believe the remit is for Pardew to sit tight with this squad and see what it can do.

I am also beginning to form a theory that EL may not be viewed as the poisoned chalice after all. For a strengthened squad in the summer, the main disadvantage of competing will be gone, and there are still many advantages to taking part not directly related to actually winning it and taking the prize money.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Scottiedog,
    Of course I’m happy we’re winning and while we are there’s nothing to moan about but giving it ‘in your face T4C’ is a bit out of order as they are trying to force change at the club for the good, excellent that we are winning and so may it continue, but there wouldn’t have been sny talk of protest had we nearly not have been relegated, JfK announcing his arrival and we weren’t told another pack of lies about transfers, this brilliant run of form is disguising Mashleys contempt for the club, however if he spends a few quid in January it might show a semblance of a plan.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I like the lad (Pardew), but for me this about football and whether you like a guy or not…

I judged him om his performance over along period and was not satisfied – I don’t regret that and I have not suddenly changed my stance 🙂

If he has improved rapidly when the season comes to an end if I’ll change the tune!

Yesterday was a great performance I think – Stoke are no idiots, and I think Pardew got it right. He has done that a lot lately, but we don’t have to go far back when that was not the case (in my book that is)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

*not whether you like a person or not!

• Rotonda heights

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Tsunki

Quite so, I think we have to be magnaminous and accept Pardew is either listening to players or fans but either way he is listening.

It’s been a long time coming for Pardew to realise that to get the best out of technical players you don’t play negative hoofball, but fair play he seems to have taken that on board at last.

Hopefully with the sending offs yesterday we’ll still have the legs for Arsenal.

• santonthenewmaldini

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

At the moment I am glad that we are playing well and winning games although not getting carried away as we could get brought back down to earth with a bang on Sunday

With our squad we should be top 8 minimum with a bit of luck with injuries we can be top 6

What does worry me though is if we get an injury or suspension to one of our key players like Cabaye and Tiote Pardew cant seem to cope against Southampton and Stoke he has got it wrong and we have been lucky to get points

Yesterday should have seen Arfa in the centre and Sissoko on the right wing but he messed about with it and If not for the red cards who knows what would have happened

He does well with a fully fit squad but the 2nd injuries hit he is all at sea it could be that he worries that our fringe players and youngsters cant step up but he needs to be able to win even with injuries thats what makes you a top manager

Ashley could help the situation by providing 2 or 3 players that Pardew wants and trusts to do a job

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Sage @ 17 – definitely some technical input required, that seems to be the final piece needed, for example, it would not have taken so long for Hatem to play effectively with this team, he could have been steadily improved while competing rather than being disciplined into it by bring benched. We don’t seem to have the ability to play in fluid triangles, we seem to play into corners until we either get bullied of the ball or somehow manage to dribble the ball out, just minor gripe, but I am sure these things will come.

In all the highs and lows of Pards tenure, one person I have not criticised is Mr Carr. The test of time proves you can be within a fingernails touch of top of the best league with a fraction of the budget of those you are competing with, IF you know your onions. Mr Carr knows his onions all right. 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Skunki…leave Mr. Carr’s onions alone will you 😉 lol

• Rotonda heights

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Would be tempted to bring MYM back in against Arsenal
    as walcott could have a field day against Colo

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I just got another Christmas present 😀

…Justin Bieber will apparently stop making music! Thank you, thank you! lol

• cyprus

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Bills,
    You still around? Dude why do you knock HBA and then say you aren’t? Anyway, I get your point. Still, I disagree. I think HBA deserves to play. MOM and then you bench him? Not fair or right.
    Like I wrote in another post, the problem is who to drop since the whole team (really, no exceptions) is ticking nicely. Solution? One half each to some players.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Did Pards get it wrong against Stoke? It was a good, if predictable, goal, but Stoke are a big, nasty side with a renowned piece of work as a manager. Pards was going to shuffle things at half time, and I expected from the off a hard fought 2-1 win for us. But one of the things we did well was keep discipline, and repaid some of those cynical bullying challenges until their composure broke first. The way Stoke were set up I think was their failing, they respected us too much to let us keep the ball, and went too far in trying to suppress us. As far as game plan goes. Pardew got that spot on.

I am only glad Cheick didn’t play. 😐

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Speaking about temper; what’s up with Shola’s bad temper the past few seasons?

…he is all beefed up and ill-tempered! That is usually an indication of use of…..well I won’t even go there (it just makes you wonder)

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Cyprus – exactly, a half each is what Pardew should be looking at. Problem is when it ain’t broke it’s tempting not to fix it. But in a decent sized squad where all are playing reasonably well, HBA coming on in the 2nd half has to be an opposing managers worst nightmare.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Jesper – weight training on its own without the use of ‘supplements’ still tends to make your aggression levels rise! I think in Shola case his role as cd bully has brought out the anger a bit more though 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Jesper – whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa…..

Whoa.

– Justin Bieber has been making music?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Maybe the problem is that some is looking at it as fixing something (hence the reactive stance we have been taking at times…well on most occasions)

…I see it as progressing and having options 🙂

• Toon-Prodigy

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ashley needs to go! Sooner the better!

The players are playing out of there skin. Pardew and the coaching staff are proving once again with a fit squad they are capable of a top 6-8 finish.

Ashley gets zero credit from me for any of this run of form.

He’s a tight git end of, with a very low level of ambition. He damages the club through his lack of consideration time and time again. Sets us up for failure time and time again.

We are where we are because we have been extremely lucky again with injuries just like the season we finished fifth. And another reason just like then we have a few players punching way above there level just like when we finished fifth.

Graham Carr, Alan Pardew and the coaching staff and all the players.

A very well done and cheers for a cracking festive period.

If I dare say we qualify for Europe, by damn he better dip into his very deep pockets and give us a chance to compete and progress as a football club. Our top players will not hang around again like last summer after seeing such a vivid lack of ambition and poor planning.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Skunki…well that was what the newspaper was saying! I am just quoting lol

• Transfer Sage

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

scottie

For me it doesn’t even need to be Ashley to speak out, if he wants to keep himself quiet thats ok with me, but he needs some sensible people be a good go between, between him and the fans instead of silence.

Rotonda

I’d also be tempted with mbiwa but think colo will stay in, hopefully santon and gouff do a job on walcott and keep him out of the game. He is a good player on his day but doesn’t produce anywhere near enough.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Tsunki….well lets hope that’s the case! All I am seeing is one angry man 😉

…probably a good thing he didn’t start yesterday lol