The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Was A Young Man When I Came Here – But I’ve Enjoyed It

10:02 am, Sunday, December 29th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

Alan Pardew has now been at Newcastle for 20 years , but he says he’s still enjoyed it – well it may seem like 20 years – but in reality it’s only been a fairly short three years – but in three years at Newcastle the stuff that happens is like 20 years at any other “normal” club.

alan pardew man city home

Alan Pardew - it seems like 20 years

This is what Alan has said  today:

“I keep looking in the mirror and thinking it’s been about 20 years. I was a young man when I came here, but I’ve enjoyed it.”

“I don’t know if it’s my club after three years, but it’s my team in the way I want them to play. We’re on the front foot and we try to take the game to the opposition whoever we play.”

“In terms of results, the youth team is doing well and so is the under-21 side. At the moment, as I stand here today, I think we’re doing a decent job.”

“As all managers in the Premier League know it changes quickly. So you mustn’t get carried away with it.”

There are big advantages in keeping the same manager, and it’s much cheaper for the club too.

If you keep changing managers like Newcastle used to do under Freddy Shepherd, and Mike Ashley did in his first couple om years at the club, and Sunderland have done over the last three years or so, there is in constant change of players.

The new manager wants his particular type of players brought in, and doesn’t like some of the players  already at the club, and that all gets to be very expensive and the club is usually in turmoil almost all the time – and it’s hard to have success in that environment.

If Alan can maintain his success at Newcastle that would be great,  even though it’s rather strange to have a long term manager at Newcastle.

And who knows Alan may even last five years, as much as the great Bobby Robson lasted at his home town club before he was fired – or Kevin Keegan lasted before he walked away in January of 1997.

The great Joe Harvey managed the club for 14 years from 1961 (after Newcastle had been relegated) through 1975, after also captaining the side to two FA Cup Final wins in 1951 (we hammered Blackpool 2-1) and 1952 (we hammered Arsenal 1-0).

And Joe Harvey is the last manager to win anything at Newcastle – when we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1069 – and I was there at that game in the first leg at St. James Park when we hammered Hungarian side  Újpesti Dózsa 3-0, before hammering them again 3-2 away.

Hopefully the great days of Newcastle United will be returning soon, and we can hammer some more sides on a regular basis. :D.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The team Ed has put down looks remarkably like the sides that Pardew was putting out for the first 9 games of the season where we only managed 11 points.

Leave HBA out, bring Anita in. I’d also prefer Santon swapped with MYM to give us a bit more at the back.

There were some rumours on twitter and facebook Ozil didn’t travel with Arsenal, anyone got any clarification on that?

• 2 bills-son // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I was impressed with Pardew from his first press conference. It was a helluva difficult time when he first came. The fans were up in arms over Hughton’s sacking, Pardew was seen as a joke appointment and then AC was sold with no replacement. But for throwing away a three goal lead to West Brom in our last game he would have finished tenth that first season.

The guy might not be a Wenger, Ferguson or Mourinho but with what he has had to work with I think he done exceptionally well and when he was under pressure last year he handled himself with dignity.

I’m chuffed for him that he is doing so well so far this season.

• 3 pottsclock // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ramsey will be a big loss. Wilshere not in the same class this season. The battle will be in midfield.

• 4 Tommyy // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I think today will be the day we get sent crashing back to earth. I just hope it’s a close game but all round they are a better side and I’m sure will carve us open on a few occasions as per. As long as we remain competitive I’m satisfied.

• 5 Blofal // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM

4-3-3 quickly reverts to the wingers dropping back to form a 4-5-1. I would much rather we attack Arsenal with the standard 4-4-2.

Debuchy-Willo-Colo-Haidara
    Sissoko-Tiote-Cabaye-Gouffran-
    ———Shola—-Remy.

Just having Shola up front will give them something to worry about and that combined with the speed of Remy stops them pressing. That gives our midfielders space to create from and takes the pressure off our defence.

If we go 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 then they can attack us until their hearts content. It worked against Manure because of their midfiled weakness but it has failed for us in most other situations.

We were having trouble with Stoke when we were playing 4-5-1 / 4-3-3. We should have attacked them! Hell 4-4-2 even worked against Chelsea.

• 6 Tommyy // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I’m very interested to see whether Santon starts, for me he’s been our weak like all season and Walcott could have a field day with him.

• 7 Tommyy // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Link *

• 8 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Lilo
    Aye I’d agree with that, Benny was very impressive against Stoke and in his cameo vs Palace but Arsenal are a side that will look to control the game and dominate possession so off the ball we need to be working just as hard just like vs Chelsea and Manure, in fact we need to play exactly like we did against Manure, edge the possession, hassle them when they have the ball, close down quickly and counter quickly, Gibbs imo won’t be able to handle Sissoko’s physical presence and those little drag backs are proving deadly!
    Then unleash Benny for the last half hour, he’s eager to please and will have a field day against a tired back four

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Tads,
    Yeah, 100% with you on all of that.

• 10 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

i think for today’s game we need to push up our defence and have the offside trap on using a 4-3-3, Collo & Willo are maybe slow but if they can use there position correct they could make Arsenal keep going offside.

but for the likes of it i can see AP having a defensive approach to today’s game, defend & counter which i think is pathetic considering we are at home.

• 11 ilovetoon8788 // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

A narrow defeat will go well with me. Not a trouncing though.

• 12 bills-son // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Tommyy,

Agreed on Santon.

His biggest problem is being a right footed left back. That”s why he gets the wrong side of attackers and cuts inside when he attacks. He isn’t the bravest either.

I’ve said this many times, Santon is a cracking athlete and footballer but he isn’t a cracking left back.

• 13 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

944 years since we won the cup? probably right :) lol

• 14 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

guys do you realize how important Santon’s role is at left back? there’s not 1 team in the PL who have this style on LB and for the likes of us we have no 1 who can cross the ball from the wings to our players ( well Sissoko on the right has produce good crosses )

most PL teams expect a natural left footed LB to do crosses which leaves leaves them to be exploited whilst Santon cuts in and causes trouble ( remember last season Chelsea game when Santon laid off 2 assist leading to goals )

all Santon needs to do is learn how to track back quicker or improve his finishing when around the box when cutting in and when he learns this he will become a top player

• 15 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM

If we concede early today, we will probably lose. I think if we can keep the score to 0-0 till about the 60-70th minute, then the longer the game goes on the longer we will have the chance of wining. I also think we will only win if we score first. If they score first, the best we can hope for is a draw.

I hope Haidara starts as he is in a better form than Santon (who I have high hopes for but he is very out of form and hence the weak link atm)

• 16 Anita the Legend // Dec 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Black and White

I don’t think it would be pathetic to set up defensively. To be honest, we actually did that against Chelsea and it worked, gradually we grew into it and went toe-to-toe once we knew we had em in in the crosshairs.

I know we are at home, but Walcott is so dangerous countering and mate, their playmaker cost more than our whole team, so we need to be smart about this one.

I would drop HBA. This run we are on is due to two balanced hard-working wings and players with not only the work rate, but also a bit of ability in defending too. HBA might have the heart and might really try to work hard, but he wouldn’t provide that cover for Debs that Moussa would. And if we think back, that used to cause us loads of problems. It even made Debs look crap! Now he looks solid, it’s thanks to the set up down the wings that we have won so many games.

Don’t change a winning system to accommodate Benny!!! Just cause what? He played well against a 9-man Stoke?! I could have hit the post twice in that match! He was useless until the reds anyway.

• 17 Rotonda heights // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

any defeat always leaves me depressed under any circs

• 18 roy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Pardew should field a 4-5-1 a midfield of Mr T, Cabaye, Anita, Sissoko and Gouffran with Remy up top. The mighty Mags to win 3-1!

• 19 Slank // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM

As has been mentioned, Arsenal will want to control the game which they are more than capable of doing.

I would revert to the team and tactics we used against ManU and dominate the midfield and harass and hustle their defenders by our forwards. I would forsake the extra forward and play a stronger midfield. Pardew can always bring on Shola and/or Ben Arfa in the last 15 minutes when Arsenal are tiring. My team:

Krul
    Debuchy – Willo – Colo – Santon
    Tiote – Anita
    Sissoko – Cabaye – Gouffran
    Remy.

• 20 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Agree with Slank’s team.

• 21 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Apart from Haidara for Santon.

• 22 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Rotanda Heights

I really hope you don’t mean depressed when you say depressed.

• 23 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Anita the Legend

against Chelsea your right we set up defensively but against Man U we set up on attack and controlled the entire game.

why not for a change we set up to our best of ability’s and have our own advantage instead of looking at the opposition advantages.

we did this against Man U and we all must agree it was the best match iv’e witness under Pardew even better than the time we beat Man U 3-0 and draw 4-4 with Arsenal.

• 24 Newcastleforlife // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

it should be a 4-5-1…. we should crowd the midfield…
    Ben10 not to start… haidara in place of santon…
    we have 2 more matches this week…
    Debuchy&colo will not last two more matches…
    we should require santon & mym to cover them in one of the matches…
    my team:
    krul
    debuchy—willo–colo— haidara
    anita—————tiote
    sissso—-cabaye—————-gouffy
    remy/ameobi

sisso vs gibbs/monreal we will open it….
    do wht we done against manutd…
    double up against wallcott…
    going for a 7-2 us winning….
    arsenal are tired.. they played on monday.. they will be tired after 2 tough games…

• 25 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

my mother is an Arsenal supporter and she always has the last laugh, and for once i would love to have the last laugh to see how she feels ;)

• 26 roy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We’ve beaten Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs given Liverpool a fright with ten men, so Arsenal who are vastly overrated anyway should be straight forward enough.

• 27 Ted Bundy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If Santon, his flimsy dangling leg technique of tackling and wandering positional play start, we’ll get beat on account of Walcott rinsing him.

My team would be the same as Slanks, only Mbiwa in for Santon. Would also prefer Haidara over Santon.

If the rumours are true, expect them to look like this

_______________Szczesny_______________
    Sagna___Mertesacker___Vermaelen___Gibbs
    ____________Arteta____Wilshere
    Walcott_________Cazorla_________Podolski
    _______________Giroud

Definitly think we’ve got enough to beat them. Our right side could be key again, if we play to our strengths and reunite Sissoko with Debuchy. Gibbs is average, weak and Podolski won’t protect him much, so hopefully Sissoko will run rampant. Our midfield trios are fairly evenly matched and each of the strikers has one defender who’s equipped to keep them at bay Remy/Vermaelen, Giroud/Willo and one where they have a definite advantage against, Remy has Mertesacker for pace – most do – and Giroud can out muscle Colo.

Should be a cracker! I’m going for a 2-1 victory!

• 28 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Don’t understand why people want Santon dropped. He’s the best left back in the league by a mile. Predicting a draw today. 1-1. They will get a late goal.

• 29 Ted Bundy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Kets

Defensively Santon is as useful as mist. Offensively, agile and moves the ball impressively, but is predictable and doesn’t have a patch on Debuchy for actual worthwhile output. He’d be better just sitting back and working on his defensive aspects.

• 30 Shadow_Shearer // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Some may not agree with me, but I say use HBA upfront same way he did against Liverpool. It will bring others in2 da game like cabaye, remy and goffy

• 31 bobby mango // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Stability/longevity does not guarantee success. It’s easy to quote managers who were at clubs for a long time and won things in that period but it doesn’t mean they won things because they were there a long time, it’s the other way round – they were there a long time as a result of winning things, or at least taking the club in the right direction.

I want stability at NUFC. Yearn for it. But only if whoever is in charge is taking us in the right direction. Last season I would’ve loved to see Pardew replaced by someone like Martinez but thankfully things have turned around.

Will be interesting to see how he copes if we have another injury crisis or if some players stop performing. Last season he capitulated under pressure.

• 32 Ted Bundy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Gouffran to make it six home games on the bounce, too!

• 33 Tommyy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I think we need HBA on the bench to allow that extra body in the center, Cabaye has the ability to drop deep when needed and also to drift into the box and play some sublime balls. Which gives us a midfield advantage, however Remy up top on his own doesn’t work for me so it’s a tough one to call. The game will dependent on who controls the midfield of course. Think this could be Pardew’s biggest brain teaser this season.

• 34 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Shadow
    Why? He was completely anonymous there and bought no one into the game

• 35 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I would love a Cisse special to win the game for us today and hopefully that’ll go a long way into him finding the form he had when he had just joined us.

• 36 Tommyy // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Well we’ll know the team in an hour, I’m more nervous about this game than any other this season. I think it’s because it determines whether or not we have a chance for 4th place, if we lose Man United stay ahead and I see us drifting off the top which I can’t really stomach seeing as how Man Unite have been so average and lucky yet are atill closing in.

• 37 Quasimodo's tailor // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I suppose the posters who believe Santon is a class left back are the same posters who thought Jonas could play there. There are many left backs in th PL who are better than Santon. Shaw, Cole, Baines for starters – even Enrique, and he can’t even get a game for the dippers. Santon flatters to deceive and most teams now have him sussed. Mbiwa or Haidara for me.

• 38 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Disagree. I think Santon is fast at getting back and also clears his lines well. Great player. He is the next Zanetti.

• 39 Quasimodo's tailor // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Fast at getting back? He shouldn’t be caught out in the first place!

• 40 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Santon was getting beat too easily in the last game. He looks tired and a bit lethargic in the last few games and hasn’t offered too much going forward either. I think some rest could do him a lot of good.

• 41 kilcline // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hopefully this will be Cabaye’s finest display in a toon shirt, he will want to show Arsenal what they are missing.

I would activily target Arsenal’s lack of pace through the middle, Remy and Gouffran cutting in from out wide will be our biggest threat. I would play Sissoko out right and ping diagonal balls to the back stick as Gibbs is not great in the air.

• 42 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM

He’s a wingback and gets back well after bombing forward. His fitness levels are great. People who don’t rate him are mad. Santon will start today and I hop he scored to shut you all up. Cisse also gets harsh criticism.

• 43 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Gotta watch out for Walcott today. Great player.

• 44 Transfer Sage // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Santon isn’t a patch on debuchy at being a full back.

Very easily beaten, rarely exploits his attacking runs with good delivery and doesn’t even try to get back half the time. I’m not a fan at all.

As for best left back in the league kets? Evra, baines, clichy, cole, Gibbs, Enrique, plenty much much better.

I agree with whoever said he was a good footballer though and a good athlete. He covers groud very easily when in possession and he isn’t a write off. Maybe need to look at using him in a more advanced role, see if that helps, maybe right wing?

I think haidara is better and there is a reason the lads gets in from the bench every week, you don’t sub defenders off for no reason.

• 45 Ted Bundy // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Ketys

I hope he scores if he starts, still, one goal in one game won’t change my opinion of him and ‘shut me up’, I’ll judge him on his overall performance over the course of many outings.

• 46 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Don’t think anyone is writing off Santon. I believe he has a great future ahead of him and can be a great footballer either as a full back or winger. But at the moment he isn’t in form and we have other options such as Haidara and MYM.

• 47 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Santon had Ronaldo in his back pocket all game. On his day, nobody is better.

• 48 Quasimodo's tailor // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Kets- aren’t you the same guy who thinks Abeid and Marveaux are “great players”?

• 49 geordie1892 // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Problem with Santon is that he hasn’t really improved since he signed. Same poor positional sense and very lightweight for a full back. Been quite impressed with Haidara, he looks strong and brave in the tackle. Having said that M’biwa today at LB walcott will get bugger all off him.

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Sage,
    I don’t understand the idea of him as a winger. He gets forward regularly for us as it is, but in his entire career only has 1 goal and 5 assists to show for it. (Out of 176 games). He can’t cross, his shooting when he cuts in is generally wasteful. He can run with the ball, and has good energy, but in terms of output he is poor. He should concentrate on and develop the defensive side of his game more to improve that, rather than being moved forward imo.

• 51 hatem786 // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

hey all..should i put my money on us today?what do u think?or draw?

• 52 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

#NUFC team v Arsenal: Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini (c), Williamson, Santon; Anita, Tiote, Cabaye; Sissoko, Remy, Gouffran

• 53 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

#NUFC subs v Arsenal: Elliot, Haidara, Yanga-Mbiwa, Sammy Ameobi, Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi, Cisse

• 54 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

i would if given a chance train Santon as a inside forward, this is basically his role as a left wing back but he needs to improve his touch & finishing and like what kets says he could be the next Zanetti or even better

• 55 Transfer Sage // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Lilo

Is prefer him to improve his defensive side too, just not really seen progression over the time he has been here so wonder if he is capable of it.

I just think with the way he moves and can skip past a man it could be worth a try, especially if we need a more defensive option down one side.

For me the question is for santon to answer. Does he want to put the graft in on defensive work and be up and down the field all game? Or would he rather work on his crossing and try to develop that part of his game.

What’s good is haidara is really pushing him for his spot so he does have to improve.

• 56 jazzyp // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Afternoon all and come on the toon
    Kets sorry mate but your out of your f@ckin mind son if ya think santon is the best left back in the pl, Give me baines-shaw-cole-azpilicueta ect any day of the week over santon

• 57 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Sage/Lilo
    I don’t mind Santoon, the one thing I’ve noticed with him is he plays better when not alongside colo, i think they both wander too much and it exposes each other’s weaknesses
    However the lad has played nearly every game since signing, I personally think he needs taking out the lime light for a couple of weeks (ala Tiote HBA Cisse Cabaye ) give him rest, let MYM/Haidara/Dummett (although for me MYM should be ahead of colo ) battle it out and I guarantee santon will improve

Personally feel pardew can see this as well as I can’t see any other reason he’s subbed him the last 3-4 games

• 58 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

He can be the best left back in the world. Abeid is doing well at Panathanikos. He’s a good player. Marveaux got the most assists last season and has proved to be a quality player. Its a joke how he’s not even on the bench. He must be banging Pardew’s wife.

• 59 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

what iv’e seen from Santon and what makes him being out of position is that we don’t use enough cover from the 3 midfielder’s especially when playing a 4-3-3.

in my view the wide left centre midfielder should cover him when Santon pushes forward and offer him support when he tracks back

for instant

RB, CB,CB,
    LCM
    RCM, CM, RB
    RW, ST, LW

this is what should happen when the RB or LB pushes up and even then we have 2 midfielder’s 2 wingers and a striker up in attack

• 60 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM

sorry

RB, CB, CB
    —————LCM
    RCM, CM, LB
    RW, ST, LW

• 61 Douglas // Dec 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Ed,

I was there (Fairs cup final) and when Joe Harvey led us to a rendition of the Blaydon races in the old wooden stand. First time I’d been in that stand – too expensive.

Soo after being an NUFC supporter for 55 years, I have the usual mixture of hope and fear for today. Ah well.

• 62 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I guess it all depends on whether Pardew goes 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but I’ll be happy to accomodate both Benny sand Santon if it is the latter :-)

…I don’t buy into the nonsense some talk about Benny or Santon but each there own I guess!

*beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

previous post: Newcastle vs Arsenal – Match Preview