I Was A Young Man When I Came Here – But I’ve Enjoyed It

Alan Pardew has now been at Newcastle for 20 years , but he says he’s still enjoyed it – well it may seem like 20 years – but in reality it’s only been a fairly short three years – but in three years at Newcastle the stuff that happens is like 20 years at any other “normal” club.

alan pardew man city home

Alan Pardew – it seems like 20 years

This is what Alan has said  today:

“I keep looking in the mirror and thinking it’s been about 20 years. I was a young man when I came here, but I’ve enjoyed it.”

“I don’t know if it’s my club after three years, but it’s my team in the way I want them to play. We’re on the front foot and we try to take the game to the opposition whoever we play.”

“In terms of results, the youth team is doing well and so is the under-21 side. At the moment, as I stand here today, I think we’re doing a decent job.”

“As all managers in the Premier League know it changes quickly. So you mustn’t get carried away with it.”

There are big advantages in keeping the same manager, and it’s much cheaper for the club too.

If you keep changing managers like Newcastle used to do under Freddy Shepherd, and Mike Ashley did in his first couple om years at the club, and Sunderland have done over the last three years or so, there is in constant change of players.

The new manager wants his particular type of players brought in, and doesn’t like some of the players  already at the club, and that all gets to be very expensive and the club is usually in turmoil almost all the time – and it’s hard to have success in that environment.

If Alan can maintain his success at Newcastle that would be great,  even though it’s rather strange to have a long term manager at Newcastle.

And who knows Alan may even last five years, as much as the great Bobby Robson lasted at his home town club before he was fired – or Kevin Keegan lasted before he walked away in January of 1997.

The great Joe Harvey managed the club for 14 years from 1961 (after Newcastle had been relegated) through 1975, after also captaining the side to two FA Cup Final wins in 1951 (we hammered Blackpool 2-1) and 1952 (we hammered Arsenal 1-0).

And Joe Harvey is the last manager to win anything at Newcastle – when we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1069 – and I was there at that game in the first leg at St. James Park when we hammered Hungarian side  Újpesti Dózsa 3-0, before hammering them again 3-2 away.

Hopefully the great days of Newcastle United will be returning soon, and we can hammer some more sides on a regular basis. :D.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The team Ed has put down looks remarkably like the sides that Pardew was putting out for the first 9 games of the season where we only managed 11 points.

Leave HBA out, bring Anita in. I’d also prefer Santon swapped with MYM to give us a bit more at the back.

There were some rumours on twitter and facebook Ozil didn’t travel with Arsenal, anyone got any clarification on that?

• bills-son

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I was impressed with Pardew from his first press conference. It was a helluva difficult time when he first came. The fans were up in arms over Hughton’s sacking, Pardew was seen as a joke appointment and then AC was sold with no replacement. But for throwing away a three goal lead to West Brom in our last game he would have finished tenth that first season.

The guy might not be a Wenger, Ferguson or Mourinho but with what he has had to work with I think he done exceptionally well and when he was under pressure last year he handled himself with dignity.

I’m chuffed for him that he is doing so well so far this season.

• pottsclock

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ramsey will be a big loss. Wilshere not in the same class this season. The battle will be in midfield.

• Tommyy

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I think today will be the day we get sent crashing back to earth. I just hope it’s a close game but all round they are a better side and I’m sure will carve us open on a few occasions as per. As long as we remain competitive I’m satisfied.

• Blofal

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM

4-3-3 quickly reverts to the wingers dropping back to form a 4-5-1. I would much rather we attack Arsenal with the standard 4-4-2.

Debuchy-Willo-Colo-Haidara
    Sissoko-Tiote-Cabaye-Gouffran-
    ———Shola—-Remy.

Just having Shola up front will give them something to worry about and that combined with the speed of Remy stops them pressing. That gives our midfielders space to create from and takes the pressure off our defence.

If we go 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 then they can attack us until their hearts content. It worked against Manure because of their midfiled weakness but it has failed for us in most other situations.

We were having trouble with Stoke when we were playing 4-5-1 / 4-3-3. We should have attacked them! Hell 4-4-2 even worked against Chelsea.

• Tommyy

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I’m very interested to see whether Santon starts, for me he’s been our weak like all season and Walcott could have a field day with him.

• Tommyy

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Link *

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Lilo
    Aye I’d agree with that, Benny was very impressive against Stoke and in his cameo vs Palace but Arsenal are a side that will look to control the game and dominate possession so off the ball we need to be working just as hard just like vs Chelsea and Manure, in fact we need to play exactly like we did against Manure, edge the possession, hassle them when they have the ball, close down quickly and counter quickly, Gibbs imo won’t be able to handle Sissoko’s physical presence and those little drag backs are proving deadly!
    Then unleash Benny for the last half hour, he’s eager to please and will have a field day against a tired back four

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Tads,
    Yeah, 100% with you on all of that.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

i think for today’s game we need to push up our defence and have the offside trap on using a 4-3-3, Collo & Willo are maybe slow but if they can use there position correct they could make Arsenal keep going offside.

but for the likes of it i can see AP having a defensive approach to today’s game, defend & counter which i think is pathetic considering we are at home.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

A narrow defeat will go well with me. Not a trouncing though.

• bills-son

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Tommyy,

Agreed on Santon.

His biggest problem is being a right footed left back. That”s why he gets the wrong side of attackers and cuts inside when he attacks. He isn’t the bravest either.

I’ve said this many times, Santon is a cracking athlete and footballer but he isn’t a cracking left back.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

944 years since we won the cup? probably right 🙂 lol

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

guys do you realize how important Santon’s role is at left back? there’s not 1 team in the PL who have this style on LB and for the likes of us we have no 1 who can cross the ball from the wings to our players ( well Sissoko on the right has produce good crosses )

most PL teams expect a natural left footed LB to do crosses which leaves leaves them to be exploited whilst Santon cuts in and causes trouble ( remember last season Chelsea game when Santon laid off 2 assist leading to goals )

all Santon needs to do is learn how to track back quicker or improve his finishing when around the box when cutting in and when he learns this he will become a top player

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM

If we concede early today, we will probably lose. I think if we can keep the score to 0-0 till about the 60-70th minute, then the longer the game goes on the longer we will have the chance of wining. I also think we will only win if we score first. If they score first, the best we can hope for is a draw.

I hope Haidara starts as he is in a better form than Santon (who I have high hopes for but he is very out of form and hence the weak link atm)

• Anita the Legend

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Black and White

I don’t think it would be pathetic to set up defensively. To be honest, we actually did that against Chelsea and it worked, gradually we grew into it and went toe-to-toe once we knew we had em in in the crosshairs.

I know we are at home, but Walcott is so dangerous countering and mate, their playmaker cost more than our whole team, so we need to be smart about this one.

I would drop HBA. This run we are on is due to two balanced hard-working wings and players with not only the work rate, but also a bit of ability in defending too. HBA might have the heart and might really try to work hard, but he wouldn’t provide that cover for Debs that Moussa would. And if we think back, that used to cause us loads of problems. It even made Debs look crap! Now he looks solid, it’s thanks to the set up down the wings that we have won so many games.

Don’t change a winning system to accommodate Benny!!! Just cause what? He played well against a 9-man Stoke?! I could have hit the post twice in that match! He was useless until the reds anyway.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

any defeat always leaves me depressed under any circs

• roy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Pardew should field a 4-5-1 a midfield of Mr T, Cabaye, Anita, Sissoko and Gouffran with Remy up top. The mighty Mags to win 3-1!

• Slank

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM

As has been mentioned, Arsenal will want to control the game which they are more than capable of doing.

I would revert to the team and tactics we used against ManU and dominate the midfield and harass and hustle their defenders by our forwards. I would forsake the extra forward and play a stronger midfield. Pardew can always bring on Shola and/or Ben Arfa in the last 15 minutes when Arsenal are tiring. My team:

Krul
    Debuchy – Willo – Colo – Santon
    Tiote – Anita
    Sissoko – Cabaye – Gouffran
    Remy.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Agree with Slank’s team.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Apart from Haidara for Santon.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Rotanda Heights

I really hope you don’t mean depressed when you say depressed.

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Anita the Legend

against Chelsea your right we set up defensively but against Man U we set up on attack and controlled the entire game.

why not for a change we set up to our best of ability’s and have our own advantage instead of looking at the opposition advantages.

we did this against Man U and we all must agree it was the best match iv’e witness under Pardew even better than the time we beat Man U 3-0 and draw 4-4 with Arsenal.

• Newcastleforlife

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

it should be a 4-5-1…. we should crowd the midfield…
    Ben10 not to start… haidara in place of santon…
    we have 2 more matches this week…
    Debuchy&colo will not last two more matches…
    we should require santon & mym to cover them in one of the matches…
    my team:
    krul
    debuchy—willo–colo— haidara
    anita—————tiote
    sissso—-cabaye—————-gouffy
    remy/ameobi

sisso vs gibbs/monreal we will open it….
    do wht we done against manutd…
    double up against wallcott…
    going for a 7-2 us winning….
    arsenal are tired.. they played on monday.. they will be tired after 2 tough games…

• Black and White with an army lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

my mother is an Arsenal supporter and she always has the last laugh, and for once i would love to have the last laugh to see how she feels 😉

• roy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We’ve beaten Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs given Liverpool a fright with ten men, so Arsenal who are vastly overrated anyway should be straight forward enough.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If Santon, his flimsy dangling leg technique of tackling and wandering positional play start, we’ll get beat on account of Walcott rinsing him.

My team would be the same as Slanks, only Mbiwa in for Santon. Would also prefer Haidara over Santon.

If the rumours are true, expect them to look like this

_______________Szczesny_______________
    Sagna___Mertesacker___Vermaelen___Gibbs
    ____________Arteta____Wilshere
    Walcott_________Cazorla_________Podolski
    _______________Giroud

Definitly think we’ve got enough to beat them. Our right side could be key again, if we play to our strengths and reunite Sissoko with Debuchy. Gibbs is average, weak and Podolski won’t protect him much, so hopefully Sissoko will run rampant. Our midfield trios are fairly evenly matched and each of the strikers has one defender who’s equipped to keep them at bay Remy/Vermaelen, Giroud/Willo and one where they have a definite advantage against, Remy has Mertesacker for pace – most do – and Giroud can out muscle Colo.

Should be a cracker! I’m going for a 2-1 victory!

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Don’t understand why people want Santon dropped. He’s the best left back in the league by a mile. Predicting a draw today. 1-1. They will get a late goal.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Kets

Defensively Santon is as useful as mist. Offensively, agile and moves the ball impressively, but is predictable and doesn’t have a patch on Debuchy for actual worthwhile output. He’d be better just sitting back and working on his defensive aspects.

• Shadow_Shearer

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Some may not agree with me, but I say use HBA upfront same way he did against Liverpool. It will bring others in2 da game like cabaye, remy and goffy

• bobby mango

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Stability/longevity does not guarantee success. It’s easy to quote managers who were at clubs for a long time and won things in that period but it doesn’t mean they won things because they were there a long time, it’s the other way round – they were there a long time as a result of winning things, or at least taking the club in the right direction.

I want stability at NUFC. Yearn for it. But only if whoever is in charge is taking us in the right direction. Last season I would’ve loved to see Pardew replaced by someone like Martinez but thankfully things have turned around.

Will be interesting to see how he copes if we have another injury crisis or if some players stop performing. Last season he capitulated under pressure.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Gouffran to make it six home games on the bounce, too!

• Tommyy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I think we need HBA on the bench to allow that extra body in the center, Cabaye has the ability to drop deep when needed and also to drift into the box and play some sublime balls. Which gives us a midfield advantage, however Remy up top on his own doesn’t work for me so it’s a tough one to call. The game will dependent on who controls the midfield of course. Think this could be Pardew’s biggest brain teaser this season.

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Shadow
    Why? He was completely anonymous there and bought no one into the game

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I would love a Cisse special to win the game for us today and hopefully that’ll go a long way into him finding the form he had when he had just joined us.

• Tommyy

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Well we’ll know the team in an hour, I’m more nervous about this game than any other this season. I think it’s because it determines whether or not we have a chance for 4th place, if we lose Man United stay ahead and I see us drifting off the top which I can’t really stomach seeing as how Man Unite have been so average and lucky yet are atill closing in.

• Quasimodo's tailor

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I suppose the posters who believe Santon is a class left back are the same posters who thought Jonas could play there. There are many left backs in th PL who are better than Santon. Shaw, Cole, Baines for starters – even Enrique, and he can’t even get a game for the dippers. Santon flatters to deceive and most teams now have him sussed. Mbiwa or Haidara for me.

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Disagree. I think Santon is fast at getting back and also clears his lines well. Great player. He is the next Zanetti.

• Quasimodo's tailor

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Fast at getting back? He shouldn’t be caught out in the first place!

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Santon was getting beat too easily in the last game. He looks tired and a bit lethargic in the last few games and hasn’t offered too much going forward either. I think some rest could do him a lot of good.