Ben Arfa Still Hasn’t Done Enough At Newcastle

While we think that Ben Arfa may start today at the Hawthorns, Alan Pardew has for the second time in a week come out and essentially said that Ben Arfa has still work to do to become a starter again at Newcastle.

ben arfa arsenal at home 1-0

Ben Arfa in action on Sunday afternoon

This is what Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has said today about the 26 year-old mercurial French winger, before the game at West Brom this afternoon:

“First he has got to get in front of Yoan Gouffran and Moussa Sissoko and that isn’t going to be easy because they have been brilliant.”

“But I have no worries about Hatem. I think he’s in great shape.” “He is an exciting player and we have always had a history of that here.”

“But at the moment, he is trying to get a team place and he’s fighting two very good players to get in the team.” “I honestly thought he could win it for us against Arsenal after coming on.”

“But unfortunately for him after about two minutes of him coming on, we conceded.” “If it had stayed at 0-0, obviously Arsenal would have pushed for the goal and that would have created more opportunities for him so he was a little bit unfortunate.”

“Towards the end there were two or three moments, mainly from Hatem, that just didn’t fall for us, and that was the difference.”

This will be Newcastle’s 4th game in 11 days, and surely some of the top players who do not start at the moment on Tyneside deserve a chance today?

But even if Ben Arfa doesn’t start this game against a beatable West Brom side, he will be used in the second half and lead Newcastle’s attacking efforts to win this game today – which is very important.

For the record Ben Arfa as played 73 times since signing on from Marseilles, and he’s scored 15 goals and had 18 assists – which is not a bad return after being out of the game for almost a year with that terrible double fracture of the left leg that he suffered at Manchester City in October of 2010.

Ben Arfa could be a match winner at the Hawthorns this afternoon.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Pardew needs to shut up. The garbage that comes out of his mouth is more than a dustbin

• Belfast

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Didn’t really help his cause the other day against Arsenal.
    I’d still have him in the team today though..

• asenski

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Very happy new year dear people here!
    I wish you very exciting moments with our club

• bills-son

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Somebody posted a video up of all HBA’s play against Stoke and he actually did far more than I thought especially in the first half.

If he gets a game today and turns it on he’ll be hard to leave out.

• Malta Mag

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Alan Pardew is a class act both as a manager and a person. I would like nothing better than to see him ram some of the crap he takes on these pages right back down their throats by winning something. When Hodgson finally gets the push from the FA, Pardew will be on that list of successors and if he were to go then it would be a great loss. I was a great Keegan fan but his petulance in both spells didn’t sit comfortable with me and I’m sure Ashley, rightly or wrongly saw that and acted accordingly. With Pardew you have a genuine bloke who has sincerity and passion which compliments our great club. What a pity some on here just can’t see that.

• pottsclock

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Happy New Year to all and a prosperous 2014 for NUFC

• cyprus

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Happy New Year all!
    AP, I know you read me for my free incisive tips, throw HBA on for the first 60′, dude 🙂

• Belfast

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Malta Mag still drunk I see

• asenski

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Malta,
    can i try a little from what you have 🙂

• bills-son

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Malta Mag,

I wondered how long it would take for the first snide comment to be made about your Pardew post.

Not long.

• magfly

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Pardew is a good manager club would be lost without him.Newcastle is a hard club to manage remember that.All the best for 2014.

• Belfast

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM

18 minutes to be exact Bills son

• Belfast

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Probably best to play your first team in the cups and not your reserves. That would maybe improve his chances

• Harley

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I’d like to see this team today

Krul

Deb, willo, mbiwa, Haidara

Tiote, cabaye

Goufran, HBA, remy

Shola

I’d love Haidara to get a crack and I think we need shola as the focal point of the team. Remy always looks better when shoals in the team.

I’d also love HBA to get a go behind the striker. He’s had enough time on the bench to reflect on what he needs to do.

Sissokho would be my choice to make way for him. Not because I don’t rate him but in a straight choice between him and goufran I wouldn’t drop goufran.

• Harley

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Malta mag

Some people will just never change their opinions no matter what he does. I agree with everything you said. We cod do a little better than pardew but a hell of a lot worse.

• juanpeterbeardsley

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:24 AM

@14 like the look of that team wonder whether Marveaux will make the team after Obertan’s alleged hissy fit?

Re @1 the only garbage coming out is your post .

• matias

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Great post by Malta Mag! Pardew ia quite opposite to all the cliches by the NUFC haters. He seems a very reasonable person who likes to give credit to everyone (including the other team) and ususally prefers expnataions to excuses. I like to hear bosses view on why my team doesn`t perform well on the rare occations it doesn`t. Pardew have also won the tactical battle in most games this season.

• Sav

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Well I can’t speak about Pards as a person but I agree he’s doing a fantastic job with an almost unmanageable club. The difference between those who are happy with Pards or willing to give him a chance and those who never will is the naysayers never shut the f**k up.
    I admire their perseverance more than their intelligence.