Newcastle Make Senegal Striker A New Target

Newcastle were interested in Senegal striker Moussa Sow when he was still at Lille back in 2011, but  we then signed Demba Ba as a free agent from West Ham in the summer of 2011.

moussa sow fenerbahce

Moussa Sow – reported interest by Newcastle United – again

The next year Moussa left the French club and signed on at Turkish giants Fenerbahçe for just over £8M,  and he has a great goal scoring record in Turkey with 37 goals in 88 appearances, and 10 goals in 20 games so far this season.

While at Lille for two seasons he helped them win the French League, when both Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy were in the side, and in total he scored 36 goals in 76 appearances for the French club.

And there is news today that Newcastle  have rekindled their interest in the striker, who was born in Mantes-la-Jolie, France, and has 24 caps and 10 goals for Senegal.

Moussa turns 28 this month, so he’s still at a good age, and he has  said he would like to play in the Premier League one day:

“I am happy at Fenerbahce and don’t think about leaving. However, everyone knows I want to play in the Premier League one day.”

Moussa has more than two-years left on his four year contract in Turkey, so it would still take a decent fee for Newcastle to get him to Tyneside, but Sow’s physical play and powerful presence and physique is very well fitted to the Premier league.

We think this lad would be an excellent signing for Newcastle, but it’s hard to know whether the interest reported by Newcastle is serious.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Sheikh MagToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Too expensive and too old. Why don’t we look at Danny Ings?

• Markaccus

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Suddenly Eds on the move again. Sow is certainly the goal scorer we need, although in the long run was it really worth letting ba leave instead of offering him an improved contract, rather than go in a big circle and sign this guy?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I think if we do bring in Cabella then Cabaye could be on his way out, however I would like to see both of them in the team as Cabella has a more attacking style .

Our team could look really strong if we bring in a couple of signings and let no one go :

—————————–Krul——————————

–Debuchy——–Willo——–M’biwa——–Haidara–

—————Cabaye——————Tiote—————-

———Remy————Cabella————–HBA——-

—————————-De Jong—————————

That is some team, although I would rather have Ba than De Jong IMO

• Markaccus

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Magtoon

Ecpensive maybe, but at 28 he should be in his goal scoring prime and will be for another 2 years at least i reckon

• ebm

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I’m quite certain that this is by far the best of the players we have been linked with so far this window. I’ve seen him a couple of times, and he seems built for the Premier League. He’s kind of a Shola that can score and knows the offside rule . Also he’s technically good. Doubt that we’ll pay the required transfer fee though.

• Spoof

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Sow is not even a striker, he is more predomiaently a right footed left winger.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yet another imaginary target for us. This is ridiculous. I guess we’re in for another 3 and half weeks of it though.

• Markaccus

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Bawwaalol

In reply to you from prev..

You tube??? Do you think i am Denis Wise?? 😀

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

What’s the latest?

B&W – Hello my friend. I’ve never been away mate. Just limit my time on here a bit more now. For obvious reasons.

Plenty of talk in France at the moment regarding Newcastle United. The most exciting for me is of course Cabella.

I don’t believe for one minute it’s with a view to replace Cabaye, but if it IS…then it’s a heck of a replacement.

Gosling + cash for Ince is another one I heard about. But have no idea how accurate that might be. Can see it as a possibility

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Mag toon – Danny Ings would be an exciting signing. On paper should be fairly cheap. But we know how the price can hike in the English league’s.

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM

My other post was cut off.

Mark – Hello sir. I’m assuming you took the bus to work today? Given your connections, what’s the latest info you have for us? 😉

• Black and White with an army lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Markaccus

good one mate lol 🙂

• Spoof

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

GeordieTwo
    if all these rumours come true then we will defo get Champions league but then get disqualified because we have a squad which is 50 players too large ?

• Markaccus

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Torq

Nowt concrete, mate. I think most of th BITK’s (bus in the knows) are still on holifay or rubbing jfk down with an oily rag to get some info. I did hear that Arriva Bus North East are going to run a route past Barcelona. Its got to be Messi.

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

It only makes sense to keep Cabaye even if we do buy Cabella. Selling Cabaye and bringing Cabella is a backwards step. Having both these lads in the starting 11 is something dreams are made of lol and it would benefit Cabella big time . Imagine having HBA,Cabaye,Cabella,Sissoko and Anita OR Tiote in a starting 11 together. Not to mention Goufrann. It’s important to strengthen, not take a sideways or backwards step. Losing Cabaye would be as bad as Liverpool when they sold Alonso. That sale put Liverpool back 5 years.

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Mark – Its got to be, mate!

Are you going to announce the ‘exclusive’ news or shall I? 🙂

• Black and White with an army lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM

i think with the Ince deal is a no go, why would Blackpool swap there top player for Gosling when they can get him on a free this summer?

it just doesn’t make sense. well in term for Blackpool.

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

B&W – I agree. However we might use Gosling as a bargaining tool to allow us tohave first refusal?

Still can’t see this one having legs to me.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

De Jong…how many strikers have scored a bucketload in Eredivisie.
    Danny Ings? Sorry but he only just started scoring this season, hardly prolific.
    We need wingers before strikers, we don’t have the ability to play through teams with sissoko and gouffy on the wings as much as I like them unfortunately.
    Jeremy Menez.
    Remy Cabella.
    Jonathan Biabany.
    Tom Ince.
    Georginio Wijnaldum.

• Ancientcoptic

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Sow is currently on 54k a week.

He will not come cheap.

• Spoof

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Toon1978

there is a lot of talk about Cabella, I can’t see it happening, as we know Pardew prefers the workers, Gouffran and Sissoko, rather than Ben Arfa the more cavaliar, from the limited knowledge I have of Cabella he is more like Ben Arfa than Gouffran, I just can’t see Pardew wanting him, unless Mikey can get hi for under £8m

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Torq Toon

Hello mate. Got my fingers and toes crossed for Cabella lol. My heart says he will come here but my head says he won’t. Just waiting for Man Utd or Arsenal to spoil the parade so to speak 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM

If this Cabella kid is supposedly good as Cabaye, then why doesn’t the club that is reportedly going to give us 22M for a 28 year old Cabaye, not just buy him instead ?
    Coptic,
    4M is apparently what the baby faced assassin is getting paid.

• 70TWO

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Bargaining tool, spin & drivel.

• Black and White with an army lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

i remember there was a lot of talk about PEA and look how that turned out.

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Spoof

I think we are linked with Cabella because Pardew is growing impatient with HBA. From what i have seen of this lad, he has the lot. He drops back, gets forward, got vision,scores goals and has pace to burn. Do you think having both HBA and Cabella in the same team is too offensive?

• Black and White with an army lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Jail for Ashley

because they have Pastore who plays better than Cabella, but they are after a CM playmaker, even though Cabella can play CM but he is better as an AMC and winger

• Black and White with an army lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Jail for Ashley

they also have Verratti in CM as a playmaker and Cabaye could teach him loads

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I guess time will just tell. However we did bag sissoko, debuchy et al, when other clubs could easily have come in an taken them off us.

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:30 PM

See loan deal for Di Jong been rejected. Excuse me if i am wrong but didnt his club want to loan him out?

• Novocastrian66

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Looks like Arsenal will need to fill the whole left by Walcott’s injury. I think we should offer them Obertan. He’s fast too!

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM

TorqToon

Both great buys.

• Spoof

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Toon

both in the same team, I don’t know, from the limited knowledge that I have of Cabella, he is another Ben Arfa, he can destroy or reduce your side to ten men, I am not too sure about Cabella, especially if he is Cabaye’s replacement, if he is Benny’s replacement then I would be more at ease.

• Troy Stavers

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I don’t believe it will be hard to improve on our fringe players.
    Our strongest side is decent, with a couple of decent subs.

Beyond that , the players are very average. It’s been shown for many a season that we struggle as soon as we suffer injuries.

Let’s see if we buy players. I’m not convinced. Maybe a loan player and that will be it.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Have to agree Spoof @13. The rumours of 4 incoming with no outgoing just don’t sound like Ashley to me. Sure he brought in several players last January but we were in danger of relegation then which he absolutely had to avoid. Right now we’re in 8th, 10 points ahead of Hull in 10th. I can’t see Ashley spending much at all this time around.

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Spoof

Completely agree. Cabaye is the backbone of this club. Cabella is in no way a replacement. Two different types of player.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Off for a while now mates. The household duties never end it seems. 😆

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Think that’s a bit harsh on cabella. He is one of the hardest working players I’ve ever seen first hand. And his work rate doesn’t fluctuate dependant on winning or losing games.

He is the shining light of a poor Montpelier season imo.

• Toon1978

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM

TorqToon

Well lets hope we can get the lad in mate.

• TorqToon

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM

1978 – Fingers crossed mate.

He is an excellent pro and a very modest person. He is the right type of player for this football club.

1 2 3 6