The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fans Definitely Want This Striker At Newcastle

9:42 am, Thursday, January 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 91 Comments

Of the four main strikers Newcastle have been linked with in January, almost half would love to see Chelsea’s Demba Ba back in a Newcastle strip.

demba ba a wave

Demba Ba - got 46% of the vote
Although we’ve been linked with other strikers, our poll listed the four main ones we have been linked with this month, and the results of the poll are as follows:

Which Striker Do You Want Newcastle To Sign?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Of course Demba Ba is a known commodity in the Premier League,and he can score goals if he gets regular playing time, which he’s not getting at the London club right now.

While at West Ham he scored 7 in 13 appearances, and while at Newcastle for a magical eighteen months he averaged a goal every two games and scored 29 goals in 58 appearances.

At Chelsea at the moment, where he is not a starter, he has played 36 times and scored just 9 goals.

It would be terrific if Newcastle can get him back on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

91 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon_Army // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Demba, has real ability and skill, he would be banging in the goals within the first couple of games and linking up well with his team mates…

• 2 jonobbad // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Being redirected on a phone browser is nothing to do with Ed’s adverts. Its malware on your phone. Get avg and delete the cache and history regularly.
    I use my Android for this site everyday and I have not once had that issue.

• 3 Dannyo // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Don’t quite understand why Ba is at the top of the list.
    He went all princess when being played on the wing for a few matches because Cisse was on a scoring run and he wasn’t.
    It was quite evident that Ba didn’t act well during that time and there’s a huge amount of hints to that fact.
    Ba is now, what, 29? The older he gets, the bigger chance of that knee exploding.
    And there’s all the agent fees involved. I just don’t think there’s enough value left in Ba.

I by far prefer Luuk De Jong. He’s in a “Xisco” type place in Germany, where the manager didn’t initially want him. He’s a well proven goalscorer who’d do well with us imo.

• 4 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Can’t see this ever happening. Too much water under the bridge. He would get us goals, but i think we should forget about it.

• 5 Moe // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I agree that he’s a known commodity and his goalscoring ability is in not doubt, but a player who has left us once I’m not sure he’ll want back to NUFC. Even if he got back will he be playing with the same passion.

Same goes for Luuk de Jong who has opted for Champions League football.

My choice would be Bafe Gomis. His ability is for every one to see, he’s very physical in addition to his goal scoring ability. Also he seems to really want to come to NUFC. anyone who follows his twitter account will notice that he keeps posting in English every now and then. This tells me that he’s very keen to join us.

And why not sign both Gomis and Long that way we’d have two experienced strikers with different playing styles for about 8M.

• 6 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

1 goal in 4 at chelsea isn’t too bad considering he is a bit part player there.

• 7 mindshaft // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

He doesn’t want to cone back and his wages would be out of our league anyway

• 8 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

jonnobad

it’s not malware on my phone at all…only every occurs on ed’s site, not a single other site.

i have used a few malware/spyware scan software on my phone and none have found a problem, it’s this site

also this is the only site i get adverts on my pc where i can’t see them to close the sound off, it’s getting difficult to use.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

he won’t want to come back

moe – gomis wanted to go to marseille

• 10 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I bet most of those voters were happily waving him off.

• 11 Mattroge // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I think this is a non-starter, I don’t blame the lad for leaving & if he wasn’t happy playing on the wing it was up to Pardew to manage that, which in my opinion he didn’t. He put Ba back up front with Cisse in a 4-4-2 for pretty much the entire first half of last season which simply didn’t work.

If he did come back I think Ba through the middle with Remy & HBA either side would be pretty deadly, shame it’s noy going to happen though!

• 12 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Club should have offered and improved contract. When we didnt, pardew should have left him on the wing while cisse was scoring. Thats why cisse lost his form. Finally, Ba should have been honest about the fact he was always going to sod off.

• 13 estechco // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Transfer Sage/jonnobad – Switching from mobile to desktop mode (sometimes referred to as the “User Agent”) makes a big difference for me.

Ed’s Ads do seem especially pervasive though!

• 14 catchy in norway // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I can not see any of the top French players wanting to stay in france,,, they are about to put there tax up to 85%, the clubs would have to play crazy money to cover it

it was 75%, now its going to far with 85%

• 15 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Would love to see Demba back

Dannyo
    And why shouldn’t he? Is it any different to the strops that cisse was throwing when played on the RW? At least Demba’s huff’s were off the pitch

• 16 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM

estechso

that used to make a big difference but not for the past month or so…i just give up using it on my phone, way too many pop ups and diversions.

like i say, it’s Ed’s site to run a he wishes, I have no problem with it and continue to use it on my computer, i like the site as it brings a variety of fans and also gives every snippet of news/gossip so more than happy

i do appreciate his hard work and dedication to it

• 17 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM

cacthy

only psg and moncaco have the cash to keep paying them the same take home wage

• 18 catchy in norway // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I have ticked the Ba box out of all four, but he will not be wanted by pardew, Ba slated the training under him, he said it wasn’t good enough,

Ba will not come back while pardew is still here

• 19 catchy in norway // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Transfer Sage

Monaco, don’t pay tax though

• 20 martoon // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

TS – not sure about your phone but for your PC I have recently installed the free program Adblocker + and it’s great. Just white spaces where the adverts should be.
    On the subject of Demba never go back – it never works out as well the second time.

• 21 Whumpie // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

quite old, didn’t work well with Cisse, injury concerns. he’d have to be cheap. ..

• 22 jonobbad // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Ts

It is. Just download avg and elite what I said and it won’t happen.
    If it was Ed’s site then it would happen to everyone. It used to happen to my friend on the eztv website on his phone. He installed avg and it turned out to be a sport streaming app on his phone.
    Again I have never had this problem once so I dont think it is Ed’s website

• 23 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Whumpie
    In all fairness no has worked with Cisse since his first season

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM

jonno
    Have to admit have a terrible time on this sure with ads etc on my phone, never have a problem on the laptop but it’s a mare on my phone for diverting to other websites and the App Store have tried loads of different things but they only ever seem to work temporarily and only have this on Ed’s site

• 25 WWSBRD // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Any two of the above for me. Ba and Long are both proven in the league but De Jong has potential and Gomis has CL experience. Wouldn’t be unhappy with any of them though

• 26 catchy in norway // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Cisse is an out an out striker, he needs chances made for him
    he is not a player who can play on the wing or drop deep,
    IMO I would keep Cisse, we just need to sort te supply line out, HE WILL score goals in a team,

WE are not a team, we are 11 individuals

the only team play ( word used loosely ) is free kicks up to willamson , something that never works

• 27 Ben3arfa // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Joe Kinnear is a fat piece of cockney blob .

• 28 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Catchy
    You seem to be desperately clinging on to the notion that Pardew is going somewhere
    He’s not
    So why keep trying with a player who doesn’t work in the system than get a player who does
    It’s only Cisse HBA and Marv who simply don’t fit into the team, before the Arsenal result most the lads were playing well

• 29 estechco // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM

TS/jono – On windows machines you can also tinker with

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

to route the worst offending ad networks to 127.0.0.1 (Google it for more info)

More sophisticated routers also give you similar features, but this is then very specific to each manufacturer

• 30 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Some one on Twitter said

It was the mentality of english managers like pardew and Allardyce to go defensive against big teams.

PL is the best league but it has got nothing to do with english players or managers

• 31 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM

We’re not going to pay big money for a 28 year old striker who will demand high wages and his agent will demand a good fee too. Especially not considering he wanted to leave once before and we know he’s got an underlying issue with his knee.

Time to move on from Ba…

• 32 catchy in norway // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM

toonarmydownsouth

we can all pray and dream ;)

he will have to go WHEN we are beaten by scumderland again

and I think you just proved the point, pardew has no say in who we buy, so we could end up losing money on players due to his lack of a football brain,

try getting 9 mil for Cisse now

• 33 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

jono

tried it before, tried a variety of things people have recommended here and elsewhere yet continue to have the problem with this site

if it was a general problem with my phone it would happen everywhere else, and it doesn’t. I know quite a few have issues with it.

My solution to note use this site on my phone is the only one to work.

• 34 stupot // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Would like demba back poss on loan. Interesting how the press never mention his time bomb knee since he went to Chelsea!!

De Jong on loan would be good to see if he cuts it in Pl

• 35 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Joey Barton is spot on with his latest tweets on homophobia. The bible advocates stoning homosexuals and yet this book is in every school in the country. Truly odious. Who is this Michael Johnson anyway?

• 36 jonobbad // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Ts
    Thats the common misconception. It will not happen everywhere. It happens on the most used site. Where it will get maximum exposure. Working with phones I get this problem quite commonly. It worked for my friend and every customer I have recommended it to, have not come back so I am assuming it has worked. Feel free to ignore it, it was just a bit of friendly advice and as I have said my phone works flawlessly on this site all the time

• 37 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM

jono

i appreciate the advice, sorry if it didn’t come off that way, just saying that all thing’s i have tried from people here or forums hasn’t worked for me.

it’s not my most used site, by a long way too.

• 38 jonobbad // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM

And if anyone else have has this problem I’d suggest just trying what I have said and report back. It takes a couple of minutes and it will not hurt.

On topic I would prefer be out of the 4 options. Proven in the premier league and a much better option than should at least.
    Honestly the only one I wouldnt be too keen on is de jong, he might just be having a mare this season but he will take some time to get up and running whereas ba is already well versed.

• 39 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM

jono

I can’t remember who it was now, but they said de jong has had had the problem of not being the managers signing and suffering as the team play two number 10′s not a proper striker, so had very few minutes on the pitch at all.

He is a talent i’d like, agree Ba is proven and would be good for us but i just can’t see either the club or ba wanting that.

• 40 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM

There is a reason why Managers like Alan Pardew Never win anything They view extra games as burden

• 41 toonaids // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM

easily be tempted by a few bottles of strawberry syrup I LOVE SYREEEP!!!! STRWA BERREEEEE SEEEREEEEP!!!

• 42 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Scott Wilson ?@Scottwilsonecho 1m
    Lots of names flying around with regard to #NUFC, but Pardew/Kinnear face huge battle to persuade Ashley to spend big with side in mid-table

• 43 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM

On Luuk De Jong, he looked great at twente, by all accounts had an average first season, but not poor
    But the worrying one I’ve heard and i don’t know if anyone can confirm this is that all his sub appearances this season means he’s only actually played 85 mins in the league, will he be in match condition which is really what we need in the short term

• 44 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

tads

guess it depends how fit he has kept himself and if he plays reserve games there.

if so he will be off the boil but probably no more so than any play coming to a new league, we luckily have remy and gouff, cisse too so he wont need to walk right in…although good if he could.

• 45 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

TADS thats true,Max kruse and Branimir hrgota have been first choice at gladbach.

Personally I feel he is fit enough.

• 46 wolfshead@toon // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM

as far as i remember pards was desperate to hold on to demba. he was a beast till cisse joined then everything slowly went pear shaped i dont think they got along on or off the pitch we should have got ba on a proper contract and built a team around him still hindsight etc

• 47 potski // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Yes, De Jong has played 84 minutes but made 13 appearances. So average of about 6-7 minutes per appearance, mainly last minutes of injury time as manager makes changes to wind down the clock. So not surprising he hasn’t scored/created anything this season. He has not started once as the manager has publicly made it known he doesn’t want him.

• 48 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM

wolfs

when cisse first arrived ba helped him, even let him live with him….they tweeted pictures of them out shopping together for food.

i just think they got on fine, they just both wanted the one spot and the manager wasn’t brave enough to drop one of keep ba on the left.

• 49 Ben3arfa // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM

ASHLEY OUT
    ASHLEY OUT
    ASHLEY OUT

• 50 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

also pardew didn’t have many options to play wide at that time

• 51 Ben3arfa // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM

ASHLEY OUT

SELL UP YOU COCKNEY B**TURD

• 52 wolfshead@toon // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

sage

pards didnt want to sell ba or carroll for that matter call me a conspiricy theorist but its almost like ashley wants us to be mediocre haha

• 53 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Potski
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking the lad or his record, just saying will he be able to make an immediate impact?
    Hopefully if it’s a loan with option to buy then he’ll be eager to impress

• 54 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I think Ba was the more technical creative player over cisse. Thats why it worked with ba wide and cisse central but not the other way round.
    I think they could have played them both, with Ba withdrawn behind cisse and not wide. I am sure he would have been happy with the Second Striker role, he would have hit loads of goals and would have been able to put cisse in for many too. That was deffo a missed trick for me.

• 55 carl // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Rotonda heights

I am passionate about the team and am an avid reader of the blog but not attracted to wanting to post.

• 56 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM

At the time it would have been HBA and probably Jonas as the wide players. Marv and sammy would probably have featured more, although i am still not convinced marv would have made it.

• 57 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

wolfs

carroll money was worth it and ba had a release clause, possibly the only way we could get him to sign on lower wage/appearence fee based on his dodgy knee (which i’m sure is fine despite what every club says haha)

• 58 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

T sage

Yes, that knee of his has never seemed the slightest bit dodgey. I think Pulis was just being a d1ck. As usual.

• 59 toonaids // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM

i agree with Transfer Sage and Onions. poor management, ba gave cissse hs first 13
    goals like

• 60 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM

toonaids

i’ll never give a manager stick for trying something new for a few games, but if it doesn’t work you need to change it up…cisse to the right of ba was a terrible idea which never worked…to keep trying it was wrong i felt.

but then again i don’t know the other options either

• 61 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM

toonaids

i have always said everyone involved has to take some blame for the Ba/cisse affair. The club could have offered a better deal for him. Pardew should have said sign a new deal or play on the left until xmas. Ba and his agents should not have been so twisty and greedy.

• 62 hugenufcfan // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

THis is why fans should never be in charge of running a football club. THey’re stupid, emotional and irrational.
    Do you ever think that Demba Ba woulkd come back newcastle? Do you expect him to take a cut in his weekly wages? I mean this is really absurd.

• 63 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

T sage

Like i was saying before, an option would have been to try Ba central and withdrawn in support of Cisse

• 64 Rake // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I thought Ba did play alongside Cisse in a 4-4-2? It may be that i remember Ba behind Cisse getting near goal and shooting at every opportunity though.

• 65 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

hugenufcfan

I agree with that statement to an extent, although it is a bit of a generalisation

Also these are the same fans who insist its ok to have the derby matches at later k.o. times so they can get drunker and create more trouble.

• 66 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Rake they did try 442 a few times, but they were sharing the CF role, rather than Ba remaining deeper all the time in the only slightly different 4411

• 67 Rainrix // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Rake…. Yeah i remember them playing as 2 strikers as part of a 4-4-2 about october november last year i think it was. It highlighted why they can’t play together, they’re too similar. They were both getting into the same positions as each other and at times were pretty much standing on each others toes. Obviously ba was in form at the time and was the only one getting the goals. Needless to say it wasn’t long till cisse was shipped out to the wing

• 68 wolfshead@toon // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM

huge

i could argue buts its old ground lets just say if demba did come back it would be fantastic esp if we shipped out cisse haha :-)

• 69 martoon // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Looks like we’ll miss out on one of our supposed targets

Although I never really believed it anyway.

• 70 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Martoon

Signed as cover for the injured on loan barca winger deulofeu. Bit of a step down in class, mind.

• 71 Rake // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM

@ Markaccus

I think Rainarix summed up the issue if Ba had played behind Cisse. Of course it’s all guess work and speculating as it never happened.

I really believe with proper wingers who can get service into Cisse and the right strike partner Cisse is good enough to get 10-15 goals a season.

Watching Negredo yesterday his link up play is the best I’v ever seen always looking for his strike partner.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

some good news from bayern munich….as arsenal charge 62 quid to away fans in champs league the club will only charge them 37 and pay the rest themselves.

german football certainly knows how to run things, so much better than the prem league in terms matchday fan friendly

• 73 martoon // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Markaccus – I’m sure you are right – pity we don’t get cover for our injured players.
    I don’t know why you are all getting hung up about Demba Ba – returning to us will never happen.

• 74 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM

hehehe

• 75 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Everton are also after Twente’s Dusan Tadic.

• 76 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Martoon

Maybe we could get Tello on loan from Barca

Messi, Naymar, Pedro, Alexis and Fibreglass are all fit and ahead of him. I am sure he would come :D

• 77 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

huge

so it’s a good things fan don’t run clubs as they want to resign previously successful players? makes little sense

i accept i doubt he’d come back but there would be no harm in the club enquiring if they thought he is what we lack

players cut wages all the time by stepping down..berbatov wont be on the same at fulham as he was at man utd

• 78 blew // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Mark @ 61
    Ba wanted to activate a £3.5M
    pay off, half the transfer fee. In
    addition £100K per week, would
    you authorise such a stupid deal
    to keep him ?

• 79 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

markaccus

liverpool wanted tello but apparently barca wont let him go

• 80 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM

blew

BA is on 80k a week at chelsea according to all the reports….i think for a lad who was a proven goal scorer when played through the middle, better than 1 in 2 when used in that position he was worth it.

if that’s out of the clubs wage structure by 20k (if colo is top on 60k) then fine, but he was invaluable to us i thought.

• 81 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Blew

Like i said. It was not all the clubs fault, or pardews. Everybody had a part to play, including Ba taking the P1ss. He should have come clean and said he was off in Jan no matter what at the start and Pardew should have said sod you, play wide :D

• 82 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM

T sage,

Yeah i know Barca wont let him go, was just being daft with that one.

• 83 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM

markaccus

i thought you might have been there haha

and on Ba, yes everyone was at fault….ba wanted the central role as when he got goals in his first half season with us he was tipped for a big move, then when left hand side he got none and no clubs bid in the summer…it was clear he wanted the central role for goals and chance to move on.

for us to give him that we should have offered him a new contract with no release, on fair wages and said right, sign it or play on the left for 2 years.

• 84 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

markaccus

going off the little i have seen of tello he isn’t as good as delefou…but i have seen only bits of both of them, not enough to say for sure

• 85 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

What do people think of this lot?….

#1,2&3 would be an epic shaking of the football world.
    #9 i think might happen. He is the right type of defender for Barca

• 86 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM

T sage.

Tello is more about blistering pace. He is probably Barcas least technical attacking winger, but puts a good ball in and can finnish too

• 87 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Last season Tello got more games than Deulofeu. Deu is younger i think.

• 88 Markaccus // Jan 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM

#1 is just silly

• 89 mag // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Get Ba back! Proven goalscorer at NUFC.

• 90 hadthetshirt // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

If were going for a striker on a loan deal why not John Guidetti.

• 91 JP...from The Rock // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Surprised that Shane Long is below the rest in the poll. I would love to see Ba back but it won’t happen. He’s on sky high wages now :/

previous post: Newcastle In Talks For English Winger