The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Bernard’s Big Ambitions For Durham City And The Region

2:30 pm, Thursday, January 9th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 185 Comments

Olivier Bernard recently bought Durham City Football Club and the former Newcastle left back has a long term ambition that Durham City be a feeder club for Newcastle.

olivier bernard -836506083

Olivier Bernard – Chairman of Durham City FC

Olivier has admitted in the Evening Chronicle today that the standard of play at City, who were founded back in 1918, is currently not good enough, but his intentions are to build up the club and it’s playing staff so
that they can become a feeder club for Newcastle United.

Durham currently play in the Northern League and Olivier’s intentions are to get them into the football league, much like Gateshead FC have done recently.

Here is a personal quote from Olivier, exclusively for this story:

“My ambitions are to bring the glory days back to the North East. The fans live for football up here and if we can nurture future England players, then we will have done a good job. “

“Too many young players do not make the grade like they used to, so we would like to help the young players from the development squads reach their potential and live their dream of playing for their boyhood club.”

The aim is to promote local football at the grassroots level in the north-east, and this could be helpful to Newcastle, and other surround local pro clubs who want to bring in local players to their clubs.

We lost Alan Shearer to the Southampton Youth Academy and then had to pay a then world record fee of £15M to get him to Newcastle in the summer of 1996, so Olivier is keen to help find and groom local players.

durham city crest

Durham City FC crest

Durham is now looking at ways to promote the club from both local and International companies and businessmen.

Durham is a club ran solely by volunteers and need sponsorship to help with the running costs of the club, and Olivier can then begin the work of making Durham City into a much improved side over the next few seasons,  and eventually into a feeder club for professional teams, including Newcastle United.

If you can help Olivier Bernard in this very worthwhile project for the region, please contact him via his colleague at “adrian.langley1@live.com”

And if you know of any individuals or companies who would be interested in sponsoring Durham City, please send this article to them.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Durham City FC · Newcastle News · Other News

185 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

good article Ed, really nice to see people doing things off their own back to help the club, really hope this works out for Bernard.

• 2 adi-bizzle // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM

This is a very good project. Hopefully, the community will show their support and help the area grow. Every little helps (thanks tesco for the quote)

• 3 croftus5678 // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM

good ol bernard hope we can give him a few youngsters to help him get promoted !

sounds like he knows the coaching aint good enough when younger and plans to give us a boost in his own way.

• 4 Ed Harrison // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I think this is a great project and we’ll be supporting Olivier and crew – as they pursue this worthwhile project – it’s much needed in the region.

• 5 mag // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Anything that promotes the region in a positive way should be applauded.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM

mag

exactly…at the very least it gives the region another club wit the support of a former profrssional….his experience can only benefit the kids/senior players at that club.

• 7 eplforecast // Jan 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Bring back your pal Laurent Robert to teach these Kids how to take free kicks and crosses and we will be fine for a long time

ROBERT is better than BEN ARFA

• 8 pawl250 // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Mbiwa is our highest paid player.

…… In terms of player, I really think Remy, like Cisse would benefit from a player alongside him. It certainly seems to help him scoring when playing alongside even Shola.

I feel with that said we need to, and probably the only thing we need to do is buy a player in the mold of Carroll/Shola.

We really should then focus on securing Remy in the meantime or his replacement, someone who will add pace. Unfortunately I feel Aubameyang was the first choice this season, and we failed to secure him.

My personal opinion, and option would be to go for John Guidetti from Man City. Take a chance!

Short Term target, one we can use a back up Shane Long. Has pace, knows where the goal is and more importantly gives 100%.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

pawl

i think what is safe to say, with all of us having preferences, is that there are plenty of players around who are highly rated/promising so need to miss out at all

• 10 Rainrix // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM

My overriding memory of bernard was him being KO’d by Laurent Robert way back when. :)

Hopefully this’ll work out, our youth development has been poor for a while now. Having more eyes at grassroots level can’t hurt although i still think our academy needs a lot of work doing to it, there is talented kids out there we just don’t seem to find them.

• 11 Belfast // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Shane Long would be a good signing. We badly need somebody who can hold the ball up though. Demba Ba returning would be nice…

• 12 martoon // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

A rare post from Ed himself – only about the third time I’ve seen that!
    Rainrix – my memory of Berhard is he always seemed to get flattened by a bad tackle in nearly every match – a bit like Haidaira does now :)

• 13 Mattroge // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Know somebody who works at Durham FC, he reckons the actual money man isn’t Bernard but they’ve brought him because the club know it will generate good publicity.

• 14 cjtoon // Jan 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I love this, I think all of us would love a go at something similar. Im a huge Football manager fan so maybe thats why it appeals to me so much.

I think with his connections he should be able to transform them into a decent small club in the next 5-10 years. Would be great to have another team to take the regions youth players on loan too and provide competitive football.

Im sure the club could also happily offer squad places to youth players not getting kept on by the bigger clubs in the region too. A bit like the glenn hoddle academies.

• 15 Our Toon // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Great for the region and a really good article Ed!!

I see we are being linked with Carlton Cole who is on a free transfer, what are the chances we end up with him?

• 16 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Not to brag, but I did a little article on this a while back ;)

It is great to see an ex-pro not only passionate about the Toon, but passionate about the North East as a whole. Durham is 1 of only 4 counties in England without a league club, and I wish Bernard every success in trying to get Durham into the league.

Would love to see the Heed get promoted from the Conference too.

• 17 wolfshead@toon // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

@7

talking of free kicks/demba ba remember this? :-)

• 18 wolfshead@toon // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM

or this lol

• 19 stuart no9 // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Top – top man—– how about buing nufc mate ?

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

TS
    I’ve never had a problem with this site on my mobile, but it slows up my pc to almost a standstill.

• 21 Rotonda heights // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM

No, we need to buy a player in the mould of Negredo!!

• 22 cjtoon // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Iv mentioned this already but what does everyone think of Mame Biram Diouf? Hes out of contract this summer. Id rather him than gomis.

• 23 Tinman // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

ED, if you want to improve this site 10 fold then write a quick little article about downloading ‘AdBlock Plus’ it will completely remove all of the bogus adverts on the site.

I’ve told people numerous times this will sort all of their problems advert wise. You’ll have it downloaded and working in 1-2mins tops.

There is an average of almost 18 million people using this add on each day on Firefox alone…

If your not great with computers ask a son / daughter to do it for you or follow this tutorial :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i2-jzl1W7k or one similar.

• 24 sweendog // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

tinman .. note also if you use Firefox on a mobile it works OK .. looks to be malware targeting chrome

• 25 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Rotonda heights

Negredo – 1.86 meters and 87 kg of solid power with a burst of speed.

de Jong – 1.88m and 86kg?

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Doesn’t Durham have an international renounced university?

• 27 Tinman // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

sweendog, never used it on a mobile before to be honest so I wouldn’t no! However Firefox is the superior browser in my opinion, I have used it for a long time now.

• 28 Tinman // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Jesper, decent university I think, they have one of the best uni Rugby teams in the country.

• 29 Tsunki // Jan 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I use FF on me tablet if I use chrome I am redirected all over the shop ad blockers or no. Mind android is horrible for giving sites all the info they need about you. Being logged into Google and all. :( That’s why I have a BlackBerry Z10 Doesn’t tell the world and it’s dog what colour crackers you have on.

On Ollie, my abiding memory of him was bring cobbled by Gravesen when Everton undeservedly beat us 1-0. He wasn’t the same after that for me.

Durham FC ground is next to soccarena in dragon ville where I used to play footy. I think they had a problem because of their 3g pitch, they had a decent team but weren’t allowed promotion because of the astroturf, so all the decent players jumped ship. Dont know how they’ve got round that lately anyone know?

• 30 adi-bizzle // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I think your source at Durham should stop speculating as Olivier has bought the club and is putting his own money into it. And trust me, out of all the people on here, I am the person who should know as I am the person who contacted Ed to see whether he would do this article. Thank you Ed by the way. Your support is much appreciated on this.

• 31 Tsunki // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Renowned is a different word from renounced by the way Jesper! Take if you meant renowned? :)

• 32 adi-bizzle // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Tsunki, you are correct. The pitch is the reason why promotion had not happened. Now, it is not so much of an issue as the club isn’t close to that kind of promotion at the moment.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I use opera on my tablet – it is true google doesn’t like add blockers so you are very screwed on an android phone or tablet. :(

…that is why I bought an Windows 8 phone and is very happy )

• 34 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Tinman…I have always been told that the University of Durham was the leading alternative to Oxford and Cambridge?

• 35 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Tsunki…I did but an Windows Phone cannot spell apparently :) lol

• 36 Tsunki // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Durham is big on Oriental subjects I believe, has had links with the far east for some years now. Well regarded uni. It’s not a very big place Jesper, probably the smallest city I know.

• 37 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Tsunki… Lol ;)

…maybe the university is big?

• 38 John Tudor // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM

can use it on android too

• 39 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:25 PM

jesper, glad your new toy cant spell or conduct a proper sentence, lol.. you is very happy :)

• 40 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

smart phones have made us dumber, imo…

i recently texted my dad and told him i needed to pick up some things, well auto word put in thongs… yeah, that was funny to explain :)

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

DT…if you take away the spelling problems then it is a great phone ;)

• 42 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM

JT…what can you use on android?

• 43 GeordieTwo // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM

One player I’m interested to see when we play Man City is James Milner. He has continued to improve and mature as a player and Pellegrini often uses him as an impact sub now. We could certainly use him as a winger. Do you think Pellegrini would go for Sammi, Obertan, Gosling, Vuckic, and Marveaux for Milner (if they offered to keep paying half of Milner’s wages of course)? This is tongue in cheek but I rate him very highly now whereas we have quite a bit of dross which Joe is doing nothing about. Well done Joe, Director of F*** All.

• 44 GeordieTwo // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM

This site has become really bogged down with add-ons. Something to keep an eye on Ed. I suspect my problems with spyware came from a football blog site so watch it mates.

• 45 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Tsunki…I thought about going to the Bartlett back when I studied Architecture! I lived in London just before I started to study :)

• 46 John Tudor // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM

ad block plus is available as an app 4 androids

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM

GT…Ed needs to work on the security on this blog – I have witnessed nothing like this ever…bought a Windows 8 phone because of it :)

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM

JT…are you sure google hasn’t blocked it in google play?

• 49 John Tudor // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM

dont know but i have it on my bb on side loader

• 50 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Premier mid-season review compiled by ‘whoscored’:

Overall stats show we are 7th, we are getting through onto goal (6th), so if we could pass more accurately (10th) convert a larger proportion we could improve our standing. Making a few more tackles (7th) would also help.

• 51 lesh // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM

GeordieTwo…… Like you and many others I’m sure, I wonder what has Kinnear actually done that’s of any value in the seven or so months he’s been at Newcastle United?

If anyone’s got any idea, perhaps they could enlighten us. Or if anonymity’s preferred, answers can be submitted to Ed – on the back of a postage stamp!

• 52 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM

this from nbc sports, stateside:

Newcastle United are set to add to their French contingent at St. James’ Park, as Montpellier attacker Remy Cabella has stated his desire to join ‘Le Toon’ during the window. Cabella, 23, is highly thought of his native land and could cost the Magpies $18 million but would be well worth it. He would add creativity, poise and composure to the attacking midfield slot and compliment the likes of Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote superbly.

• 53 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Edit:

….convert a larger proportion (8th)….

• 54 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM

lesh.. JFK has contributed much since his arrival… i mean, even MA has to enjoy his pronunciation of names…

• 55 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM

DokToon

I am realising the talk about transfers is like watching ripples on water, from the first drop of ‘news’ it can reverberate for days from one media source to the next.

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM

JT…you are a genius mate :)

…thanks! now I can you my tablet on the site again (just had to change a few things in settings and then I was able to download adblock plus

• 57 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM

To everyone having problems with malware on this site download adblock plus :)

• 58 Tsunki // Jan 9, 2014 at 5:57 PM

The problem with spyware,adware,malware of any sort is that it is prevalent on android because they are the biggest culprits for sharing your preferences and ID with its ‘partners’ which is why Google play store is populated with apps that snoop around your device for details they can use to sell stuff to you. I stuck with BlackBerry because of that, they are concerned more with business security than apple,google, microsoft… that’s why they have less apps, also why those companies slag BlackBerry off hoping they will bite the dust. Take a look at the permissions Google apps require – contact list and network access for a Torch app? Really? If you want to stop being targeted, get a BlackBerry or a windows phone they are much easier to secure.

Just my rant against the ad merchants. :)

• 59 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM

70two….

its tough getting nufc info here stateside, so im usually here to read what i can…

and i forgive you for your atni-american crack yesterday :)

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Dok..are you still Texas based?

• 61 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Jesper

Yes durham has a big university, 3rd most respected in the UK after Oxford and Cambridge and always up there in top league tables for academia.

• 62 Cabyebye // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Can’t use this site on my phone any more either. And whoever said that nonsense about malware only working on “the site you use most” is complete BS.

Have had problems with Ad’s on my phone on Ed’s site before, but this one is taking the piss. I know it is not his fault directly, however he is being paid for the links on site and as a result must accept a certain level of responsibility for them.

It is a problem with the Ad Script – not Malware.

• 63 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Ad blocker just won’t work on my iphone…tried so many different ones, malware and spyware scans, virus sans and still have problems with this site

tsunki

I agree, i use an iphone and i hate the things, nice and simple to use but everything requires access to everything, fine if it’s needed but as you say it’s all driven to advertise/sell products which is pretty poor when the phone costs you £500 or a heft contract over 2 years.

• 64 Vask // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I’m with you tsunki Blackberry’s are fit for purpose. Who uses all them apps anyway? Losers who ride the bus no doubt.
    (Shameless name drop coming up)
    I like Bernard, I used to be his postie. Kept himsel to himsel but didn’t tip at Christmas. I like what he’s doing over in Durham I wonder if they’re looking fr over the hill permanently crocked utility players. I wouldn’t mind going on loan to Newcastle if the need arose.

To be honest this is exactly what North-east football needs. Well trained lower/non league teams with a penchant for developing new young players.

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM

TS…yeah that was what I was told as well :)

…thought about attending the Bartlett though when I started to study Architecture! I actually think the University of Newcastle have a great faculty of Architecture?

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM

TS…for Iphone use adaway!

• 67 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:15 PM

jesper

they are good for architecture in newcastle, really well thought of for town planning as well.

durham is a very traditional and old uni and very strong in sciences like physics, maths, chemistry, as well as theology and classics…has strong ties to china and other asian countries also.

• 68 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

i am jesper…

• 69 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

cheers jesper

already tried it though to no success haha….i trailed forums for weeks looking at ways to stop it, i found the best solution….to stop using the site on my phone

• 70 Vask // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Saying as we’re talking university I find that the older and more ‘well respected’ university is the more snobbery, stagnation and obstruction occurs for us ordinary folk from working class socio-economic backgrounds.
    Yeah i can use words like socio-economic.
    and what?

• 71 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Dok…you are not Jesper ;) lol

…sorry I just couldn’t help i!

Which city? I road tripped the States once – went through Odessa, Fort Worth/Dallas, Houston and even went to Galveston; we though about visiting Austin Corpus Christi as well but didn’t have the time!

Really wanted to see Corpus Christi though :(

• 72 John Tudor // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

i find a claw hammer is the best tool in the box for script removal

• 73 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

TS…sorry to hear that mate :(

..does the apple app store have adblock plus?

• 74 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Vask…the University of Durham is supposed to be very working class like ;)

• 75 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

vask

I think it depends what you want to study really….some old universities are no better or worse than newer ones in a lot of areas.

The thing is a degree from one of the older, more prestigious universities is often worth more because of the name on the top of the script.

• 76 Vask // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Jesp

Aye I know, you cannot move for coloquial accents and steel toe capped boots.

• 77 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM

jesper…

maybe i wish i was :)

im in houston.. i know IItiantoon is here in town, going to Rie university, have yet to meet up with him though…

• 78 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM

TS…just googled architecture in the league table:

Newcastle is #8 :) (not bad)

• 79 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM

rice univ…

i love the message when i tried to amend the name…

“:you are posting too fast. Slow down”… lmao

• 80 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM

The University of London (the Bartlett) is #3 (doesn’t look like Durham is good for architecture) lol

• 81 John Tudor // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:28 PM

added to that one of the royals attend newcastle uni

• 82 Vask // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Northumbria in 13 not bad considering it was only a polytechnic until fairly recently.

• 83 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

DokToon

Wondered if it would draw any attention from ‘over the pond’ :-) A positive attitude is of great benefit…unless your a West Ham fan!

• 84 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Dok…Houston! the city that invented the aircondition ;)

…and I know why now lol

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The University of Newcastle seems to be good at Architecture and Engineering!

…Law no so well (maybe Ruddy should have studied something else ;)) just kidding!

• 86 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

You are not bad at Medicine either :)

• 87 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:36 PM

TS…the Duke and Duchess of York most be proud ;)

• 88 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I once had relations with a posh lass from Durham Uni whom I met on holiday, I was introduced one night to her posh friends in a resturant one night as our token Geordie, I had one last relation with her and left in the morning before she woke up, long before mobile phones, and my Ma copped the hysterical voicemail she left on her answerphone :o

• 89 jimiley // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM

We can agree that the club cannot get a top 4 spot and do not want 5th. We are doing very nicely with no prospect of relegation this season. So why would Mike Ashley want to spend his money strengthening the squad? He might do a loan or buy a youngster to develop and flog later but why does he need to spend 5 million of his own money on a player this January. Pardew is doing he perfect job in his eyes. And we are out of the Cups so we cannot get Europa spot. A massive bonus for Mike.

• 90 Vask // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Our token geordie…

You poor soul…

• 91 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

70TWO,

ive been a nufc fan since i started watching EPL…. and i dont plan on becoming a plastic fan, or a mackem :)

• 92 Vask // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

You should’ve introduced her to your mates as your early retirement plan.

• 93 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Jesper

Perhaps I should have studied something else! haha To be fair, Newcastle University were among the top 15 Unis for Law when I first applied, disappointing that they have slipped a little bit, must have been because I was away the last few years :p haha

• 94 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Jimiley,
    The more I think about it, the more I think that the eight year contract given to Pards and Co is the amount of time it will take for Mashley to get ALL his money back and be left with the playing squad and club as pure profit, what he could then do is frightening and the vindictive bstard is capable of anything.

• 95 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM

JfK…

you couldve called her by a pet name, Miss 401k lol

• 96 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Ruddy…you know I was just kidding mate :)

• 97 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

…but yes it most be because you went away :D

• 98 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Ruddy…how about Engineering?

• 99 Rake // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Shots per game 6TH….
    I fail to believe that, it .. it just can’t be.

• 100 Rake // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Just realized they are probably all long range and off target.

• 101 DokToon // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

rake, tiote had 6 in one game as i recall, all 30+ away :)

• 102 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

seen lacina traore on his way to west ham on loan

• 103 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Jesper

I know you were kidding! I don’t intend to work in Law so I’d imagine a decent degree from a decent University should open some doors but, hey, who knows haha

As for Engineering, I’m a wordsmith, no good with numbers ;)

• 104 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:16 PM

good read

surprising number 1

• 105 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

TS

Any News?

If not can you make something up?

• 106 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

TS…you just killed the blog I think ;)

• 107 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

jesper

yeh i think i might have done, sorry guys

HD

no nothing now, nothing new

• 108 Ben3arfa // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM

things have gone quiet

Kinnear must be lost somewhere in a Paris brother looking for Nicollin

• 109 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM

ben3arfa

there is a good chance that’s where he will find him….i new there was a reason why we got him in

• 110 JAMSHA // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:50 PM

add block plus works on rooted android fone… if u wana root ur fone easly with one click … download vroot on pc an connect ur fone with usb debug on… done..n den install addblock

• 111 Taking the Papiss // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

How much is sponsorship for a small club? In all seriousness is it worth having a whip round for anyone that’s keen. I would be willing to contribute. It may help our club will certainly help the area and will and will support a worthwhile project for someone who has always backed the club. If anyone is keen we should look into it

• 112 bills-son // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM

JFK’s two signings as manager were Raylor for £1M and Nolan for £4M. Neither generated much enthusiasm at the time.

He might not be as daft as he looks or sounds.

• 113 Taking the Papiss // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Should also say it would be an opportunity for this blog to do tangible good as give us another team to follow / be positive about

• 114 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM

By all that is merciful did that idiot really just come out with that nonsense?

Stockholm Syndrome does not come close to adequately describing this man’s delusions.

• 115 croftus5678 // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM

come back lambs-arse all is forgiven >.<

just wish we would make a concrete move instead of rumours.

• 116 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Taking the Papiss

Slightly overlooking the fact that there is a club just down the road from Newcastle who have been on the verge of promotion to the football league who would massively benefit from a ‘whip round’.

Personally I would take much greater pleasure in seeing Gateshead promoted to the football league. I want to see Bernard do well with Durham and wish him every success though.

• 117 croftus5678 // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM

we could lan durham ober/guti/tav/gosling !!! surely its a team worth promoting.

• 118 croftus5678 // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM

*loan

• 119 croftus5678 // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM

seems gomis is yet again hinting that he’s coming to the toon ^^
    thespectatorsview.com/2014/01/09/french-target-flirting-with-toon-fans-again/?

• 120 lesh // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM

You’re so right DokToon, Nike Asbury does appreciate Kinnear’s interpretation of the English language!

• 121 Taking the Papiss // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Ciaran- I imagine Gateshead would cost a lot more…

• 122 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Billson

Didn’t Raylor came in a swap deal with Nzogbia.

Also Wasn’t Kinnear in charge when we signed Lovenkranads for the first time from Schalke 04

• 123 bills-son // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM

HD,

Not sure about Lovenkrands but he was a decent signing for the money.

If JFK signed Lover plus Raylor and Nolan thats a decent record to be fair to him.

• 124 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM

He Did

I am Sure.

For a Free

• 125 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Also overseen the departure of Shay Given and N’zogbia. Not too fussed on N’zogbia but we got relegated by a point. I would venture that had we kept Given we would not have been relegated.

If we have any doubt about Kinnear’s credentials give this another little listen

I mean, seriously?

• 126 Ben3arfa // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM

What happend to Barry Moat? guy that wanted to buy us in 2009? didnt he go broke or something?

i honestly think we need a foreign owner if we are to succeed. english owners are far too greedy and unambitious just look at the fat piece of lard who owns the club now

• 127 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France 45m
    Massadio Haïdara: ‘I don’t think that Mapou would accept being played as a right-back all season. He is comfortable as a centre back.’ #NUFC

• 128 Novocastrian66 // Jan 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I always considered Given as overrated and I thought Harper was better. The fact that he didn’t last long at City or Villa speaks volumes.
    It used to get on my nerves how every summer he kept angling for a move and ended up getting a fat new deal.
    As for Kinnear selling him; Given made it quite clear he didn’t want to play for us. He obviously didn’t have the stomach for a relegation battle. Rats and sinking ships.

• 129 jazzyp // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Novo
    Have you ever done a stadium tour buddy.Just ask the guide about Shay given and what he did for the club, Both on the pitch and for charity for the kids of Newcastle.
    Shay given left the club because he was sick and tired how the club was being run as is many upon this site

• 130 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I remember it was after a dismal loss against LFC that Shay said Enough was enough. 5-1 the match after the Boxing day match in 2008

• 131 jazzyp // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM

There is no wonder players have reservations coming to play for our club with comments like that about given.
    The guy gave over 12 years of his playing career to us and played over 300+ games. And still there is the stalwarts out there that are not happy.
    I have been going to st james park for over 20 years,Sit on row ll of the milburn and not one fan has ever had any thing bad to say about Given. The guy left because of the hierarchy mate, Not because of the sinking ship

• 132 jazzyp // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Himanshu
    Thankyou mate, At least some fans on here have memories.

• 133 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM

jazzy

I loved given, the guy saved us so many times and won us more games than any other player except maybe shearer during his time here in recent years.

I think he was great for the club, the only reason he never made it at man city was the emergence of joe hart and they knew hart would give them 15 years of service and given maybe had 3/4 left.

• 134 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Novo

Strongly disagree that Harper was better than Given. Given simply was forced to play second fiddle to Hart at City, and should have been played ahead of Guzan at Villa. As an Irish man I have a slight bias in favour of Given but he was a fantastic goalkeeper in my opinion.

Can’t fault Shay Given for leaving the club, but surely we could have held on until the summer.

• 135 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:32 PM

ciaran

or the way man city were throwing money around we could have asked for more than 6mil

• 136 jazzyp // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM

TS
    Totally agree pal. I sit on a row owned by Weighman engineering and the guys in and around where we sit have got nothing but love for the guy for what he did for Nufc.
    He never angled for a move away. He was a custodian of a lot of charities based around Newcastle and had the privilege of meeting the guy on 2 occasions, And he loved the club but not where it was heading.

• 137 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Sage

Given is one of my boyhood heroes, as a young Irish supporter, and as a Newcastle United supporter. I will stand by the view that we would not have been relegated had we held on to Given. The man was priceless as far as I was concerned.

• 138 Transfer Sage // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM

ciaran

Oh totally agree, he was very important to that team….highly regarded by pretty much everyone…fan or pundit.

I’m not saying we should have sold, just couldn’t believe that we took 6mil for him when city were chucking 21mil of Jo, 37 on robinho and even 15mil on nigel de jong that season.

also this is a quote from given from wikipedia

On 1 February 2009 Given signed with Manchester City on a four-half-year-contract for £6 million.[50] He was formally paraded as a Manchester City player on 5 February 2009, and was assigned squad number 37. In the subsequent press conference, he criticised Newcastle’s management for not trying hard enough to keep him at the club. He also said that “By coming here I thought I could be at a club that is challenging for honours. I didn’t want to finish my career regretting not taking up this offer.

I sort of understood selling carroll deadline day as we got a mad offer, just don’t get why given left the last day for 6mil

• 139 Kazzy // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM

This is why he is loved a Newcastle

He has 100 times better distribution then Tim Krul tbh Krul has one of the worsest distribution for a goalkeepers in the premier league in my eyes

• 140 LGFUAD21 // Jan 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Someone brought it up at top re remy and a striker partner. I think Gomis is the best choice in this area to replace shola. Big guy. Holds the ball up well. Not as strong a shot as shola bit way more precision. Could fill that role and chip in with goals.

• 141 Novocastrian66 // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Aye I done the stadium tour, about 10 years ago. I’m sure Shay’s a canny lad, but nobody can deny that every summer there was transfer speculation which was always resolved by Shay getting a new deal. It was probably his agent but it still bugged me. I also remember he handed in a transfer request when he was out if the team and Harper was first choice. Harper was dropped not long after after doing nothing wrong.
    I’m not saying Given was not a good goalie just I did not consider him to be the best in the Premier League and I preferred Harper.
    Better judges than me think differently to me and I’m happy with that.
    I think he was wrong to leave and that he manufactured the move.

• 142 bills-son // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Given was a good guy and a great keeper but he’d had enough after that 5.1 Lpool home defeat which could have been 10 but for him.

But, saying the management didn’t do enough to keep him was a cheap shot. They knew and Given knew there was no way he was staying whatever was put on the table. He was a big voice in the dressing room and keeping such an unhappy player against his wishes would have done more harm than good.

I’m sure City knew that and thats why he went for £6M.

• 143 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Novo

Having seen how Harper performed after replacing Given (which was decent and I love Harper as a club legend) but there is no way that he was even close to Given’s standard as a PL goalkeeper.

He may have manufactured the move, but that could have been because he was not happy with the direction Ashley was taking the club in. Seeing as how Ashley took the club plummeting into the Championship I would say he was spot on wouldn’t you?

• 144 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Give it a rest bills you apologist pillock. Everything is spun for your defence of Ashley.

Once, maybe once, Ashley isn’t the f***ing saviour you so desperately want him to be!

• 145 jazzyp // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Novo
    Im not having a go mate but do you have the same opinion of Cabs for what he tried to manufacture pre season, Or colo for his openness to quit nufc to go back to his homeland. Or Ben arfa openly welcoming the Psg link a couple of seasons ago. I just think all players have there head turned now and again especially by agents who tend to look more after there interests than the players

• 146 bills-son // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Apologist pillock?

Is that the best insult your herculean brain can come up with :-)

You really are pathetic.

• 147 jazzyp // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Bills
    If the directors and management of nufc have nothing to answer to.How come they cannot and will not give us imformation to see if we have attained category 1 status for the academy.And the banning of the supporters trust from the last meeting,could you please explain what the hell that was about if not to get the fans back up

• 148 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Bills

You know I can come up with a plethora of insults with which to berate you with, but a simplistic approach for a simpleton seemed to fit the theme that was being pursued.

As for being pathetic? Your opinion of me does not concern me whatsoever because you are among a bottom feeder.

I actually feel sorry for you. How a man can get to middle age and pathetically pander to a billionaire holding his club to ransom, and instead of demanding better you accept it. You lack any form of awareness whatsoever.

I am so glad I will never end up like you.

• 149 Ciaran // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

*You are a bottom feeder

• 150 shearer and the duchess // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I find it fascinating to read that some are fooled by SD free advertising.
    It’s clear from the last fans forum meeting that they are blatantly lying again.
    They say they are actively seeking companies to use the space for advertising, yet so far they haven’t found one company to take up one advertising board? Really?
    So SD are paying nothing yet they can’t find a company who will pay more.
    I don’t agree with the idea that 40%of SD shareholders are freeloading on the back of NUFC.
    Ashley only owns 60% of SD.
    Is it right? Not a chance.
    Ashley representatives have lied at FA tribunals, forums and
    the press.
    He is now lying about advertising. Total lies. !
    The top and bottom of this is, Ashley is desperately wanting another 3-5 yrs to recoup his money and he will achieve this by sitting mid table each season.
    It’s not that he can’t afford to lose the cash he’s invested, it’s plain and simple that he does not want to be seen as a loser in the business world.
    I don’t believe he’s done anything remarkable by consolidating the club.
    The TV revenue has saved his bacon. Otherthan that, he was destined to fail as he hasn’t changed anything in terms of wage to turnover ratio which remains near 70%.
    The loan hasnt reduced since he arrived. The facts are, it’s risen. !
    Do Ashley supporters overlook this?
    The huge problem is, because he wants every penny back that he was FORCED INTO SPENDING ON THE CLUB BECAUSE OF HIS GREED, we can’t find a suitable buyer as Ashley wants to take their eyes out for his own mistakes.
    Let’s emphasise again the fact that in 6 yrs, coming up to 7 yrs, the loan has increased and he hasn’t improved the wage to turnover ratio one bit.
    He’s a lying horrible stinking twat!

• 151 Thump // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM

@Novo: I honestly believe that, given the chance, Harper could have been twice the keeper Shay would have been. As you said, after the injury he couldn’t get Harps out from the sticks and then threw his toys out. Still gutted that Harps left tbh.

• 152 jimmysmith // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Given was a great, great keeper for Newcastle, while Harps was very much his more than able deputy, but I wonder how they’d have gotten on if their career paths had been reversed.

I have this sense that Harper may have had the greater all round natural talent. Incredibly tidy, a beautiful fluid easy mover, with a super positional sense, safe hands and intelligent distribution.

I still feel a pang of regret about the career he should have had, but didn’t and think we let him go a season early and ultimately made goalkeeping coach or better.

• 153 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM

CABAYE AVAILABLE FOR £6m IN THE SUMMER!?!?!?!?!

• 154 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Keeping a voice like Shay Given in the dressing room might have done more harm than good, what like we might have finished second bottom instead of third !

• 155 Novocastrian66 // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM

jazzyp; no not really mainly because Cabaye is still here and has knuckled down and got on with his job.
    Don’t get me wrong here, I respect Given for what he did for the club and the years of service he gave but he was prone to throwing his dummy out of the pram when he didn’t get his own way.
    I do not believe he was forced out of the club. He left because he wanted to and he forced the club into a corner where they had to sell. I think he should have stayed and helped us to try to stop up and then left in the summer.
    The fact that he has not exactly been a resounding success at the two clubs he joined since leaving Newcastle, would indicate he was / is not as good as he thought.

• 156 bollance // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM

One detail the article about Cabaye does not state is that anyone who signed a 5 year contract can buy them-self out of the contract when they enter the last two years. This was mentioned by Julian Laurens (French Journalist) a couple of days ago. The worry is that most of our players are on 5 year deals. I think the clause is the Webster rule??

• 157 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Didn’t we pay Mallorca a compensation for Jonas?

…I think we were ordered to by FIFA or UEFA!

• 158 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Bills

I’m disappointed in you…I thought you knew better than to engage in a slanging match with that self confessed WUM who has even admitted that he has a “blog persona” and he just wants to let off steam and start pointless arguments.

• 159 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Puts a different spin on what went on last summer.

• 160 shearer and the duchess // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Nova

There’s no doubt at all, Given was the best keeper we’ve had in my lifetime and I’m 54 yrs.

He was also disillusioned with the ambition of the club, quite rightly so and had gave plenty of hints for a season or so, if the club didn’t show ambition he would leave. Let’s not forget, he left for the up and coming Man City at the time.

Things didn’t work out as well as he hoped but the decision to leave would not have been taken lightly and at that time, along with many other fans, we thought he made the right personal choice.

I was disillusioned with the club as well.

• 161 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM

It’s funny that every player that leaves because of our insidious, greedy and unambitious owner happens not to be good enough or a greedy bstard, funny that !

• 162 RonVanDam // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM

70TWO

Looks like the balls in Cabayes court. If he exercises his right to buy out his contract then interested clubs could compensate him. Basically he would be a in demand free agent spoilt for choices and could dictate wage and clauses in his contract. Once again we messed up, whats new right?

• 163 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM

JFA

Greedy? Care to explain how our current owner is greedy when he supplied the club with an interest free loan, has only taken a small part of it back and hasn’t paid himself a salary as far as I know. Compare that to the previous lot who loaned the club money at high interest rates, took large salaries and made a bucket load of cash when they sold the club.

• 164 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I might be jumping to conclusions here but for Ashley there must be a case of beware what will come back and bite you. In the summer, during the Cabaye thing I did reflect on the Andy Carroll deal and think, who would seriously do business with NUFC again? The wheels may be drastically about to come off Ashleys business model!

• 165 jimmysmith // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Jonas is one of my favorite players. I think he was made the fall guy by many fans for last seasons travails, when it seems to me he was never less than a tip top pro.

Even so, at this stage of his career and up against the quality that’s now ahead of him, he isn’t worth an upgraded contract and he may end up sitting out this current contract if reports are true.

• 166 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Wouldn’t read too much in to a red top story !

• 167 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM

70TWO

The Carroll thing? You mean the bit where we didn’t want to sell him until stupid Liverpool raised the bid to a stupid amount.

I think it’s great that we are tough negotiators and don’t let top players go easily.

Doesn’t Ashley deserve some credit for holding onto Cabaye?

• 168 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM

TDsarf,
    Not getting in to it with you !

• 169 jimmysmith // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Surely as sole owner and by looking at every way of increasing Newcastles market value and using the profile of the club to showcase his core businesses Ashley is just as much acting in self interest as the others.

• 170 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I am not sure the Webster Ruling is good for football…it might be good for some players and especially their agents ;)

• 171 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Anybody know how much our current squad is worth ?

• 172 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Jail for Ashley

Normally I would agree with you, but I was hoping someone might tell me what was wrong with the story. I am still yet to decide whether its total disaster or just par for the course.

In the grand scheme of things and at the end of the day its a game of two halves.

• 173 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM

JFA

Fair enough. Just don’t hold with that particular criticism. Others are totally valid and significant enough.

Check transfermarkt.com or could be .co.uk

• 174 shearer and the duchess // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Toondarnsarf

He’s not taking anything out of the club cos he owns it outright. Doh.

FFS. had shares

Are you being serious?

• 175 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM

70two,
    Just thinking that surely if we used that very rule to get Jonas on the cheap then surely something must be in place to prevent us being sucker punched.

• 176 Thump // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I’m pretty sure we paid around £8m for Jonas despite the Webster ruling. Sincerely hope it’s bs or Cabs actually has his head screwed on this time. He’s too important to the team to just let go…

• 177 Jail for Ashley // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Satd,
    I’m worried what the fat fuskers going to do with us when he’s had all his money back at the end of Pardews eight year and unmemorable stint.

• 178 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Shearer and the duchess

So what makes him greedy? Or greedy in relation to others owners.

• 179 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:39 PM

JFA

If you can think like a businessman, you will think of the sort of things he will want to do with the club,

• 180 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM

ToonDarnSarf

When the dust settled though, in the footballing world who comes out the bad guy from an over inflated £35M deal?

“…holding on…”, don’t you mean touting for a sale?

Am I under some illusion that Ashleys desired business model for NUFC is to buy players in cheap, after 2/3 years improvement sell at inflated price and reinvest?

The only problem is Pardew can’t improve more than the first 11 so there is not a surplus of salable candidates, it is Cabaye or bust…..and it looks like bust.

• 181 anthc // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:47 PM

According to ssn qpr are offering remy to spurs to try and get defoe on loan until he leaves for the mls?!

• 182 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Jail for Ashley

Is he a businessman or gambler? Live by the sword and … all that.

anthc

NUFC have an enforceable contract to the player for one season, which we reported paid £2M for. It may be possible for QPR to negotiate the player back but I would presume for some sort of refund. And knowing Ashley, more than £2M.

• 183 shearer and the duchess // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Toondarnsarf

I think it’s fair to say Ashley is greedy as he has shown that he wants every penny back he has invested, despite the fact he owns a club that belongs to the people.

He was told where to go when the now Man City fans tried to buy us.
    Ashley wanted £480m.

Now that is a tad greedy. Do you agree. ?

• 184 70TWO // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM

……After all why have a shop window and not use it?

• 185 shearer and the duchess // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM