Bernard’s Big Ambitions For Durham City And The Region

Olivier Bernard recently bought Durham City Football Club and the former Newcastle left back has a long term ambition that Durham City be a feeder club for Newcastle.

olivier bernard -836506083

Olivier Bernard – Chairman of Durham City FC

Olivier has admitted in the Evening Chronicle today that the standard of play at City, who were founded back in 1918, is currently not good enough, but his intentions are to build up the club and it’s playing staff so
that they can become a feeder club for Newcastle United.

Durham currently play in the Northern League and Olivier’s intentions are to get them into the football league, much like Gateshead FC have done recently.

Here is a personal quote from Olivier, exclusively for this story:

“My ambitions are to bring the glory days back to the North East. The fans live for football up here and if we can nurture future England players, then we will have done a good job. “

“Too many young players do not make the grade like they used to, so we would like to help the young players from the development squads reach their potential and live their dream of playing for their boyhood club.”

The aim is to promote local football at the grassroots level in the north-east, and this could be helpful to Newcastle, and other surround local pro clubs who want to bring in local players to their clubs.

We lost Alan Shearer to the Southampton Youth Academy and then had to pay a then world record fee of £15M to get him to Newcastle in the summer of 1996, so Olivier is keen to help find and groom local players.

durham city crest

Durham City FC crest

Durham is now looking at ways to promote the club from both local and International companies and businessmen.

Durham is a club ran solely by volunteers and need sponsorship to help with the running costs of the club, and Olivier can then begin the work of making Durham City into a much improved side over the next few seasons,  and eventually into a feeder club for professional teams, including Newcastle United.

If you can help Olivier Bernard in this very worthwhile project for the region, please contact him via his colleague at “adrian.langley1@live.com”

And if you know of any individuals or companies who would be interested in sponsoring Durham City, please send this article to them.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Transfer Sage

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

good article Ed, really nice to see people doing things off their own back to help the club, really hope this works out for Bernard.

• adi-bizzle

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM

This is a very good project. Hopefully, the community will show their support and help the area grow. Every little helps (thanks tesco for the quote)

• croftus5678

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM

good ol bernard hope we can give him a few youngsters to help him get promoted !

sounds like he knows the coaching aint good enough when younger and plans to give us a boost in his own way.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I think this is a great project and we’ll be supporting Olivier and crew – as they pursue this worthwhile project – it’s much needed in the region.

• mag

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Anything that promotes the region in a positive way should be applauded.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM

mag

exactly…at the very least it gives the region another club wit the support of a former profrssional….his experience can only benefit the kids/senior players at that club.

• eplforecast

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Bring back your pal Laurent Robert to teach these Kids how to take free kicks and crosses and we will be fine for a long time

ROBERT is better than BEN ARFA

• pawl250

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Mbiwa is our highest paid player.

…… In terms of player, I really think Remy, like Cisse would benefit from a player alongside him. It certainly seems to help him scoring when playing alongside even Shola.

I feel with that said we need to, and probably the only thing we need to do is buy a player in the mold of Carroll/Shola.

We really should then focus on securing Remy in the meantime or his replacement, someone who will add pace. Unfortunately I feel Aubameyang was the first choice this season, and we failed to secure him.

My personal opinion, and option would be to go for John Guidetti from Man City. Take a chance!

Short Term target, one we can use a back up Shane Long. Has pace, knows where the goal is and more importantly gives 100%.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

pawl

i think what is safe to say, with all of us having preferences, is that there are plenty of players around who are highly rated/promising so need to miss out at all

• Rainrix

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM

My overriding memory of bernard was him being KO’d by Laurent Robert way back when. 🙂

Hopefully this’ll work out, our youth development has been poor for a while now. Having more eyes at grassroots level can’t hurt although i still think our academy needs a lot of work doing to it, there is talented kids out there we just don’t seem to find them.

• Belfast

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Shane Long would be a good signing. We badly need somebody who can hold the ball up though. Demba Ba returning would be nice…

• martoon

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

A rare post from Ed himself – only about the third time I’ve seen that!
    Rainrix – my memory of Berhard is he always seemed to get flattened by a bad tackle in nearly every match – a bit like Haidaira does now 🙂

• Mattroge

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Know somebody who works at Durham FC, he reckons the actual money man isn’t Bernard but they’ve brought him because the club know it will generate good publicity.

• cjtoon

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I love this, I think all of us would love a go at something similar. Im a huge Football manager fan so maybe thats why it appeals to me so much.

I think with his connections he should be able to transform them into a decent small club in the next 5-10 years. Would be great to have another team to take the regions youth players on loan too and provide competitive football.

Im sure the club could also happily offer squad places to youth players not getting kept on by the bigger clubs in the region too. A bit like the glenn hoddle academies.

• Our Toon

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Great for the region and a really good article Ed!!

I see we are being linked with Carlton Cole who is on a free transfer, what are the chances we end up with him?

• Ciaran

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Not to brag, but I did a little article on this a while back 😉

It is great to see an ex-pro not only passionate about the Toon, but passionate about the North East as a whole. Durham is 1 of only 4 counties in England without a league club, and I wish Bernard every success in trying to get Durham into the league.

Would love to see the Heed get promoted from the Conference too.

• wolfshead@toon

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

@7

talking of free kicks/demba ba remember this? 🙂

• wolfshead@toon

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM

• stuart no9

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Top – top man—– how about buing nufc mate ?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

TS
    I’ve never had a problem with this site on my mobile, but it slows up my pc to almost a standstill.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM

No, we need to buy a player in the mould of Negredo!!

• cjtoon

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Iv mentioned this already but what does everyone think of Mame Biram Diouf? Hes out of contract this summer. Id rather him than gomis.

• Tinman

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

ED, if you want to improve this site 10 fold then write a quick little article about downloading ‘AdBlock Plus’ it will completely remove all of the bogus adverts on the site.

I’ve told people numerous times this will sort all of their problems advert wise. You’ll have it downloaded and working in 1-2mins tops.

There is an average of almost 18 million people using this add on each day on Firefox alone…

If your not great with computers ask a son / daughter to do it for you or follow this tutorial 🙂 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i2-jzl1W7k or one similar.

• sweendog

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

tinman .. note also if you use Firefox on a mobile it works OK .. looks to be malware targeting chrome

• 70TWO

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Rotonda heights

Negredo – 1.86 meters and 87 kg of solid power with a burst of speed.

de Jong – 1.88m and 86kg?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Doesn’t Durham have an international renounced university?

• Tinman

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

sweendog, never used it on a mobile before to be honest so I wouldn’t no! However Firefox is the superior browser in my opinion, I have used it for a long time now.

• Tinman

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Jesper, decent university I think, they have one of the best uni Rugby teams in the country.

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I use FF on me tablet if I use chrome I am redirected all over the shop ad blockers or no. Mind android is horrible for giving sites all the info they need about you. Being logged into Google and all. 🙁 That’s why I have a BlackBerry Z10 Doesn’t tell the world and it’s dog what colour crackers you have on.

On Ollie, my abiding memory of him was bring cobbled by Gravesen when Everton undeservedly beat us 1-0. He wasn’t the same after that for me.

Durham FC ground is next to soccarena in dragon ville where I used to play footy. I think they had a problem because of their 3g pitch, they had a decent team but weren’t allowed promotion because of the astroturf, so all the decent players jumped ship. Dont know how they’ve got round that lately anyone know?

• adi-bizzle

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I think your source at Durham should stop speculating as Olivier has bought the club and is putting his own money into it. And trust me, out of all the people on here, I am the person who should know as I am the person who contacted Ed to see whether he would do this article. Thank you Ed by the way. Your support is much appreciated on this.

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Renowned is a different word from renounced by the way Jesper! Take if you meant renowned? 🙂

• adi-bizzle

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Tsunki, you are correct. The pitch is the reason why promotion had not happened. Now, it is not so much of an issue as the club isn’t close to that kind of promotion at the moment.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I use opera on my tablet – it is true google doesn’t like add blockers so you are very screwed on an android phone or tablet. 🙁

…that is why I bought an Windows 8 phone and is very happy )

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Tinman…I have always been told that the University of Durham was the leading alternative to Oxford and Cambridge?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Tsunki…I did but an Windows Phone cannot spell apparently 🙂 lol

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Durham is big on Oriental subjects I believe, has had links with the far east for some years now. Well regarded uni. It’s not a very big place Jesper, probably the smallest city I know.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Tsunki… Lol 😉

…maybe the university is big?

• John Tudor

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM

can use it on android too

• DokToon

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:25 PM

jesper, glad your new toy cant spell or conduct a proper sentence, lol.. you is very happy 🙂

• DokToon

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

smart phones have made us dumber, imo…

i recently texted my dad and told him i needed to pick up some things, well auto word put in thongs… yeah, that was funny to explain 🙂

1 2 3 5