The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Not Worried About Keeping His Star Player

5:58 pm, Friday, January 10th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew had some good news today in his press conference for the game at home to Manchester City on Sunday, and it’s that Yohan trained on Tuesday and today,  and he is fit for the game.

yohan cabaye warming up

Yohan Cabaye - will eventually join bigger and more ambitious club than Newcastle

So Yohan has missed only one game and is straight back into the side, and of course he’s one of our best players and because of that there’s all kinds of news about the Frenchman, especially during transfer windows.

And we reported this morning, according to Article 17 of FIFA’s transfer rules, it is possible that Cabaye could buy himself out of the remaining two years of his contract at Newcastle, and that’s £6M, with Yohan on a decent £60K/week at the club.

It’s not surprising with this news breaking today that Alan was asked about Cabaye’s situation:

“It doesn’t worry me. The point you are raising is something that has been raised at an international level, it’s not isolated to Yohan Cabaye.” “Whether that’s possible, I don’t know, it’s not my department, if I am honest.

“The most important thing is that he has two-years left on his contract in the summer and we are looking forward to him playing for Newcastle for the rest of this season, and we will take it from there in the summer.”

What Newcastle really need to do is to try to get Cabaye to commit to a new improved deal at Newcastle, but with Mike Ashley not too ambitious about where Newcastle will be going in the next year or two, Cabaye probably wants to sign (sooner or later) with a bigger and more ambitious club, and one that regularly plays in the Champions League.

Unfortunately we don’t think that team will be Newcastle, and we cannot blame him much for wanting Champions League football.

He’s now a top player in the Premier League, and one of Frances’ best players – as he was the star man in France’s amazing 3-0 home win against Ukraine to qualify for the World Cup in Brazil this June.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Contracts · European Champions League · European Competition · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ciaran // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM

DokToon

I humbly submit to eating that humble pie – I must have been in an awful mood that day haha

Good to see you back posting BandB, and I hope everything is well with you.

• 2 DokToon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM

ciaran,

i was just joking with you.. i do recall you saying wed get pasted, but i ghost wrote that, my apologies if it offended… :)

i do think if we can press, we can win this game… i’ll be up before the sun comes out to watch, to be sure…

• 3 Ben3arfa // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Pardew is Ashleys bitch . Cant respect the bloke

• 4 Mister Tuff // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Below is an extract from the UEFA SLO Manual – gives an insight into how clubs react with fans:-
    In introducing Article 35, UEFA is trying to
    promote good governance at clubs. why
    do you think it so important for clubs to
    engage with their fans?
    That’s an easy question to answer. The fans
    are the club. They’re the ones who keep the
    club going. If you look at it in commercial
    terms and say fans are consumers or
    customers, then you also have to listen to
    what your customers want. Without the fans
    there’s no one to buy your products. Players,
    coaches and directors come and go, but the
    fans stay. So it makes sense to talk to them
    and find out what they want. Clubs need
    to see fans as part of the solution rather
    than part of the problem. If you give fans
    something, you’ll get it back times two. If
    the fans are happy, everything’s fine. If the
    fans are unhappy, you’ve got 15,000 angry
    customers.

• 5 Ciaran // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Dok

Offended? Not in the slightest my good man! I’ll stand behind what I said, even if I don’t remember writing it! I’m certain I also wrote at another time that we would never have as good a chance to beat Man U at OT if you want to go look for that one too ;) Only kidding pal!

I’m flying back to Newcastle on Sunday so might only get to see the first half of the game on Sunday. I really think we need all hands to the deck on Sunday in order to get anything from the game on Sunday.

• 6 Sazzer // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Hunt and Cabella is a lot better than Mcgeady in my opinion so we aren’t missing out if get them.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Morning all…

Thank the heavens Pardew isn’t worried…now we can relax :)

• 8 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Santon could be out tomorrow
    Taylor, Williamson Centre backs Mbiwa and Haidara full backs

• 9 Tsunki // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM

So, hang on a moment – Cabaye is Pardews best player? Is that what Pards said?

• 10 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM

whoops
    Sunday

• 11 shearer and the duchess // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Hey guys. Cabaye is going nowhere.
    NUFC are valuing him too high.
    Not a chance any club will pay £20m+

He’s worth £12m.

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

This word “ambition” gets used far too much as a stick to beat the current owner with!

What would actually show ambition? Putting the club into even more debt and risking our future over some potential short-term success? Or perhaps getting the groundwork right so we can be a real powerhouse in future. Look at Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs. Those clubs didn’t develop overnight! And they haven’t been relegated from the PL either!

• 13 Graeme // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I would think, given the complete lack of ambition shown throughout our management structure, any chance of Cabaye agreeing to renew his contract in the summer would be somewhere close to zero!!

• 14 Marty-Toon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Shola for a Hattrick on Sunday
    And just because Alan will have to put him in the team :-) I’d defo have Cisse on before Shola
    Still can’t see us gettin anything out of the game apart from tired or injured players.
    Hope I’m proved wrong :-)
    City are a beast of a team,many can take great dead ball,many can score,runners all over the pitch,top internationals all over the bench,lots of power, height and skill.
    Get worried looking at all that

• 15 DokToon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:26 PM

hello ibiza,

full on fruits and nuts yet? :)

• 16 Mister Tuff // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:26 PM

TDS – previous question. The club in effect vetted the representatives for the Forum. The application forms are on the WEB -as well as obvious personal details, the club asked for their club membership number -meaning that unless you were a season ticket holder – your application would end up in the bin. That I suggest would be a form of vetting. The club apparently then selected who they wanted. I would suggest that to remain within the spirit of the Supporter Liason ideals the club should not have been the arbiter of who was going to represent the fans – purely for the reasons it is now running into trouble. Reps should have been selected by the fans not the club.
    The SLO at a club should be an advocate of “both sides”. It is contrary to the ideals of the SLO scheme if the SLO appears to represent the interests of one side.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM

shearer and the duchess

There is no “too high”! If I love living in my house and the estate agent values it at £200k, do I accept an offer of £200k? NO! So if someone else really loves my house, I’ll tell them it’s for sale at £300k. I don’t want to sell it so why should I sell it for anything less than I want to?

• 18 shearer and the duchess // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I can’t see us winning on Sunday. I won’t blame Alan Pardew if we don’t. It’s like expecting Dads Army to beat Hitler.
    We haven’t got the resources to compete.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Dok…In a word…yes :)

Tsunki…Come on, be fair. All he said was:

“But it is good to have Yohan back as he creates an opening in tight games.”

“We are lucky to have that, but City have five or six of that calibre, but we have one of our own.”

All he’s saying is we have one player that matches City’s players…..

TDSarf…Are you sure you want to mention that those clubs haven’t been relegated as part of a defense of Ashley and his ambitions for NUFC?

Truth is, predicting future strength is nothing more than a possible end result, you either believe we’re going that way or you don’t, there isn’t exactly any concrete evidence.

For every “ambitious” move by Ashley, there is another move which counteracts it.

• 20 JP...from The Rock // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM

He was already playing Champions League football with Lille when he signed him so that part of him wanting CL is bullshit.

He either wants to move to a more ambitious club or get the most money he can from the game.

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM

*when WE signed him..

• 22 shearer and the duchess // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM

@TDS

Do you really believe he’s worth more than £12m?
    Arsenal baulked at that price. No other clubs made an offer.
    Another year and they’ll be hovering hoping to get him cheap.
    Not a chance that clubs will pay more than that.
    He’s nowt special tbh. A decent player but that about sums him up.

• 23 BandB // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM

TDS,

I don’t know what “ambition” is. Perhaps you could offer me some evidence?
    In sworn affidavits, in triplicate. Of course.

“He’s his family’s pride and joy, his mommy’s little golden boy”

Happy New Year, chucky egg.

• 24 DokToon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM

ibiza,

i took that statement to mean we have one of our own, which is equal to five or six of there’s….

learn to read between the lines, i speak english, pardewish, and kinnearese, fyi….

• 25 shearer and the duchess // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Cabaye couldn’t tie Gary Speeds boot laces. Fact!

• 26 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Mister Tuff

Yes, it was limited to season ticket holders. Isn’t that fair? Would you like it if an occasional visitor or a part-time fan got on the board? What about a mackem in disguise?

According to the club, the selection was random. Do you actually have any proof that they are lying? How would they know who to select and who not to? How would you suggest the fans decide who to appoint? Should there have been an election held with wanabee forum members listing their manifesto?? So you’d end up with every appointed member having a similar belief…

The club said it was random and that seems the right thing for me.

• 27 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Cabella Starts for Montpelier against Monaco.

• 28 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Dok…Oh right…my mistake :)

BandB…Happy New Year. Just passing by?

• 29 Vask // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Hey Ciaran.

Whens the match on again?

• 30 DokToon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM

kinnearese is like pekingese, just a lot dumber…. :)

• 31 BandB // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Ibiza,

Nah!
    But no more cricket matches and Boxing on Sky for me, I’m afraid.
    Hence the silence.

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Ibizatoon

You can point the finger of blame at Ashley for relegation as much as you like, it’s not relevant when we’re talking about ambition. He’d already spent a good deal on players before we were relegated so he was hardly being frugal then. Colo was over £10M right? And paid about £70kpw?

I’m talking about the ambition to turn the club into a self-sustaining successful and big club. Other than running the club into more debt or chucking his own money at it, what more could he do in that area? Not every owner is like City’s or Chelski’s.

• 33 Ciaran // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Vask

Sunday, 14.05 GMT

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM

shearer and the duchess

Who care what you or I think he’s worth. There aren’t many players better than him in the world for what he does and he’s worth whatever people want to pay for him. Carroll wasn’t worth £35M to us either, but Liverpool thought he was to them.

Valuing players is crazy business..look at someone like Dzeko who went for over £30M, there are plenty of strikers as good as him in the world. and some move for £10M or so.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM

BandB…Are you only allowed to come and play when there is cricket or boxing on then?

Haven’t been on much myself…but hey, it’s January and there must be lots of new stuff to discuss….surely?!?

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

TDS – do you have any proof the selection was random. You miss the point -the club now find themselves in difficulties because they did the selection. This could have been avoided -if the various groups supporting the club -had nominated reps themselves. The club also invented some daft categories for reps. I posted the SLO handbook link the other day -it’s plain to me that the club have not approached the matter correctly -within the spirit of the scheme.

• 37 BandB // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Ibiza,

I noticed you hadn’t. I presumed it is because you were having a little think, and speak because you have something to say, rather than because you have to say something.
    Me fatha croaked. Tough stuff.

• 38 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

TDSarf…I am not pointing fingers at anything or anyone, was just pointing out that perhaps it’s best not to use the fact we were relegated (under Ashley) as a reason why we should be behind the big clubs or being an obstacle they haven’t had to overcome.

Point being it will just open the door for people to start blaming Ashley for the relegation anyway…and I really don’t think you want to jump in to that one again…but perhaps I am wrong.

Your comment that they didn’t get there overnight was a good one.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM

BandB….Me speak because I have something to say? That may be a road to disappointment.

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, my thoughts are with you and yours.

• 40 BandB // Jan 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Ibiza,

Nee worries. He was a pearl. Though he LIKED Ashley.
    And could have easily “had” any of those fat boxers on Sky he insisted on never missing. And bowled at me in the back street off a 40-yard run up when I was seven (my brothers were too cute to join in.)
    However, every cloud. I do feel free to make the occasional critical comment about Ashley now.

• 41 Ibizatoon // Jan 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

BandB…Sounds a right character, even if slightly flawed (“Liked Ashley”?!? Did he have shares in SD?).

Anyway, hope you’re okay.

• 42 BandB // Jan 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Ibiza,

He liked Thatcher too. And Tony Benn.
    In fact, on reflection, he just liked a punch-up.
    Honestly. Some people!

Anyway, that’s that done.
    Back to business.

• 43 lesh // Jan 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Mister Tuff // Jan @ 4

good post about the intro to fan participation. It reads like owld Bobby’s ‘what is a football club’.

It’s as though UEFA’s picked it up from him – bless him and rest his soul.

• 44 Sav // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:52 AM

All we are singing….is that the team has a right good go on Sunday. anything elsa will be a bonus. HTL!

previous post: Good News On Yohan Cabaye