Newcastle Fans Have Low Expectations Against Man City

In our poll for tomorrow’s game against Manchester City there are not too many Newcastle fans confident of taking anything out of the game, and in fact 67% think we’ll lose the game.

Manuel Pellegrini

Manuel Pellegrini – Manchester City manager

So only one in three fans think we can take something out of this game – and maybe that’s because we’ve lost 13 of the last 14 games against City.

And of course Newcastle have lost every game against them since we came back into the Premier League in 2010, but we did get a 2-2 at St. James’ Park with only 10 men, in our relegation season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Of course the other way of looking at the stats, is that we are due a win, and heaven knows a win tomorrow will give the lads a huge boost after three defeats on the trot.

Here’s hoping.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Toon1978

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Half of our defence is out. City have more talent than most of Europe. We are unconvincing at home. A signing would have raised spirits a little but Mr Ashley doesn’t do ambition and he is quick to dampen down expectation and hope. Heart says 2-1 toon, head says 0-3 City.

• beddersmag

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

marveux is not just lazy. Hes a coward too. wont make a tackle and runs away from any threat of a header. OK hes not going to win many but could at least jump into the man. When our team has performed well it has been because all the players work hard and are commited as a minimum. I think thats fair enough

• Toon1978

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Marveaux does more than Obertan thats for sure.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Alan Pardew must be devastated that sunderland were not tired.

• beddersmag

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

i would go along with that as obertan does very little. Although he does more in defence than marveux which is probably why he plays more

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Cardiff lost today to WHU. By all reports were woeful can’t believe we lost to them.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Clueless that Solskajear

• Marty-Toon

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Was watching the west ham Cardiff game,second half was a cracker.
    Cardiff could’ve scored several only for Hammers keeper and had a good shout or two for a peno.
    Typical Fat Sam with backs to the wall and wasting time,come to think of it,it was a lot like Pards style

• Marty-Toon

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

On the City game I have to say we will be lucky not to lose by at least 3/4 goals.
    They have +34 of a goal difference
    We’ve got hmmmmmmm 4
    That’s as Alan says because we only need one goal to win a game 😉

I’ll watch the game in hope that we may get something to just end up in a mood all evening afterwards
    Trying to lower my expectations

• MadisonToon

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Agree with Marveux > Obertan.

Obertan is woeful in defence. Marveux at least has attacking qualities – Obertan’s only quality is speed but his touch and intelligence are so low that he should never be on the bench. He hasn’t even done well when he’s come on to finish out a game. It should be easy when he’s already fast and playing against tired players but he just gives the ball away and is lost defensively.

I’d love us to go for Ince, but I just don’t see it happening

• Ron Knee

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

How about a more nuanced poll:
    – crushing defeat
    – defeat
    – narrow defeat
    – draw
    – jammy win (3Citeh men red-carded)
    And for the super-optimists:
    – win

• Marty-Toon

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Defoe scored for Spuds
    Thought he was in the states

• JAMSHA

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

voted for a win…. i feel we can upset city… i feel good about tomoros kik off

• JAMSHA

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

thats defoes last goal… spurs would b shit without him… nw with rooney n van puppy out we should do good n man u should suffer

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

TS/Ruddy…I was enough with what I saw from Marv last season on most occasions – have been with Benny ad well. It doesn’t mean of course that there haven’t been room for improvement 🙂

…but that could be said about mist our players. I just think these kinds of players have the odds against them in Pardew’s team.

We will never agree on this I accept that, but it will forever be my opinion 😉 Only Pardew can change that but I am not holding my breath 😉

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Remember that 2-2 very well, one of a number of refereeing decisions that sent us down. Beye sent off for winning the ball against Jo as last man.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Defoe doesn’t leave til the 28th february

• mag

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Mags 3-2 tomorrow!

• ERER

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Anyone got a nice stream ?

• Tsunki

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

The tyne is quite pretty at Haltwhistle.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Toon1978
    True mate Fulham have truly shocking this season, still very much in relegation trouble
    Also see that Ruiz has been given permission to leave, found that a bit strange although he’s not had a great season

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

*happy enough 🙂 this phone is killing me

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

She has mad a huge difference to our fortunes concerning injuries. It is essential we sign her on a long term deal.

Just watching ManUre match v Swansea and all their threat comes from their latest superstar Janezaj. It shows how low they’ve gone yhat all they seem to do is depend on the youngster to save them feom embarrassment.

I really hope he moves to another club like City as ManUre seem to be doomed if he ever left it got injured. We need a player of similar il to take us to another level.

On our game v Man City I think if we’re lucky we could nick a draw.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

OhShola…28th of February? Now can that be true with the window shutting on January 31th

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM

J4A…that’s because we can be equally clueless 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

How many players have fans been disappointed that we didn’t sign who turned out to be really good at another club? And how many have been poor? I can think of loads of the latter…

• Speed11

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Jasper

The Defoe situation is a wierd one but it is true that he doesn’t actually start playing in the US till February don’t know if he is on loan to spurs till then.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Love how pardew is whingeing on about the Fa helping us if we finish 5th!! As if a) the FA would help us and B) we came 5th !!!!!!

Really wonder what planet he’s on, especially when science is so cruelly against him

• welshgeordie9

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Come on swans

Jack Army

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

jesper
    i think it was on BBCsport that he’s available right up until spurs europa league game on the 27th, not sure how it works but the mls season doesn’t start until march the 2nd usually.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

man city looks like a write off, as do chelsea, liverpool and arsenal away (although you can never say never).
    that leaves 14 games and 42 possible points to play for, safety is pretty much guaranteed (although, see above!).
    hopefully we go all out for europe, a gap will open up between us and the top 7 after this weekend probably but there are winnable games coming up.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM

OhShola
    Yeah he’s signed for Toronto but doesn’t officially play for them until the end of Feb so I’d imagine it’s like when clubs used to loan Beckham and Donovan during the MLS off season

• Krul To Be Kind

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Jesper

Defoe deal is a £6m done deal with him back on loan to spurs until the beginning of the new MLS season, so he is still a Spuds man until end of Feb.

He is a new MLS record signing at £6m I believe!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Thanks Guys for clearing that up mates 🙂 makes sense now
    (well not really but I guess the Toronto owners don’t care for money lol)

• shearer and the duchess

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM

By jove chaps! Results could not have been more dastardly!
    Tomorrow, Mr Pardew needs to pull a rabbit out the bag and a dove out the jacket at the same time.
    I have every bit of faith in the fellow!
    He will be rogering Miss Downey as we speak! The dirty rotter will be telling the wife he has been doing fitness classes! That Miss Downey is a fit sort! Just my bloody type!

I’m looking forward to my first match at St James’ Park, I believe you chaps refer to it as the “temple on the hill”.

I have bought a new executive box and had a survey of it today. Lovely french doors on to keep that pesky North East chill out. Anyone of you good fellows are welcome to come and join me for a few glasses of champers!
    I will be wearing my dinner jacket and bowler hat in case you are looking for me.

I have read so much about the famous fortress of St James’ Park, I see nothing other than a 21-0 victory!
    I used to love rugby but I am so happy I discovered football and Newcastle United Tigers is my new club for life!

• GeordieTwo

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Apologies for my comments about spyware. I don’t have the expertise to know where these attacks come from. I’m on football blogs a lot but that in no way means they are in any way at fault. Just me getting carried away. Anyway all the best to everyone out there in case I’ve sunk my own boat. 🙁

• GeordieTwo

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Defoe should do well in MLS. It’s a better league than some might think though. Toronto have brought in several decent players including Michael Bradley from Roma as well I believe. Still it is good teams not teams with stars that do well in that league so I’ll watch to see if it works for them.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Anybody think Cisse will get some playing time tomorrow? I think he’ll get the usual 20 minutes with Shola unable to last a whole match anymore. It would be fantastic if he could snatch one and we were to win but not holding my breath like

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM

If we don’t get a win tomorrow I think the best we can hope for this season is to fight it out for eigth with Soton, I dont think it’s possible that Hull can catch up ten points, I bet the drab triumvirate would take the end of the season now.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM

If Man U dont manage that fourth spot, I’d love to see Everton grab it and sicken their arrogant local rivals.