The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fans Have Low Expectations Against Man City

4:49 pm, Saturday, January 11th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

In our poll for tomorrow’s game against Manchester City there are not too many Newcastle fans confident of taking anything out of the game, and in fact 67% think we’ll lose the game.

Manuel Pellegrini

Manuel Pellegrini – Manchester City manager

So only one in three fans think we can take something out of this game – and maybe that’s because we’ve lost 13 of the last 14 games against City.

And of course Newcastle have lost every game against them since we came back into the Premier League in 2010, but we did get a 2-2 at St. James’ Park with only 10 men, in our relegation season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Of course the other way of looking at the stats, is that we are due a win, and heaven knows a win tomorrow will give the lads a huge boost after three defeats on the trot.

Here’s hoping.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon1978 // Jan 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Half of our defence is out. City have more talent than most of Europe. We are unconvincing at home. A signing would have raised spirits a little but Mr Ashley doesn’t do ambition and he is quick to dampen down expectation and hope. Heart says 2-1 toon, head says 0-3 City.

• 2 beddersmag // Jan 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

marveux is not just lazy. Hes a coward too. wont make a tackle and runs away from any threat of a header. OK hes not going to win many but could at least jump into the man. When our team has performed well it has been because all the players work hard and are commited as a minimum. I think thats fair enough

• 3 Toon1978 // Jan 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Marveaux does more than Obertan thats for sure.

• 4 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Alan Pardew must be devastated that sunderland were not tired.

• 5 beddersmag // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

i would go along with that as obertan does very little. Although he does more in defence than marveux which is probably why he plays more

• 6 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Cardiff lost today to WHU. By all reports were woeful can’t believe we lost to them.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Clueless that Solskajear

• 8 Marty-Toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Was watching the west ham Cardiff game,second half was a cracker.
    Cardiff could’ve scored several only for Hammers keeper and had a good shout or two for a peno.
    Typical Fat Sam with backs to the wall and wasting time,come to think of it,it was a lot like Pards style

• 9 Marty-Toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

On the City game I have to say we will be lucky not to lose by at least 3/4 goals.
    They have +34 of a goal difference
    We’ve got hmmmmmmm 4
    That’s as Alan says because we only need one goal to win a game ;-)

I’ll watch the game in hope that we may get something to just end up in a mood all evening afterwards
    Trying to lower my expectations

• 10 MadisonToon // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Agree with Marveux > Obertan.

Obertan is woeful in defence. Marveux at least has attacking qualities – Obertan’s only quality is speed but his touch and intelligence are so low that he should never be on the bench. He hasn’t even done well when he’s come on to finish out a game. It should be easy when he’s already fast and playing against tired players but he just gives the ball away and is lost defensively.

I’d love us to go for Ince, but I just don’t see it happening

• 11 Ron Knee // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

How about a more nuanced poll:
    - crushing defeat
    - defeat
    - narrow defeat
    - draw
    - jammy win (3Citeh men red-carded)
    And for the super-optimists:
    - win

• 12 Marty-Toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Defoe scored for Spuds
    Thought he was in the states

• 13 JAMSHA // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

voted for a win…. i feel we can upset city… i feel good about tomoros kik off

• 14 JAMSHA // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

thats defoes last goal… spurs would b shit without him… nw with rooney n van puppy out we should do good n man u should suffer

• 15 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

TS/Ruddy…I was enough with what I saw from Marv last season on most occasions – have been with Benny ad well. It doesn’t mean of course that there haven’t been room for improvement :)

…but that could be said about mist our players. I just think these kinds of players have the odds against them in Pardew’s team.

We will never agree on this I accept that, but it will forever be my opinion ;) Only Pardew can change that but I am not holding my breath ;)

• 16 OhSholaAmeobi // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Remember that 2-2 very well, one of a number of refereeing decisions that sent us down. Beye sent off for winning the ball against Jo as last man.

• 17 OhSholaAmeobi // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Defoe doesn’t leave til the 28th february

• 18 mag // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Mags 3-2 tomorrow!

• 19 ERER // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Anyone got a nice stream ?

• 20 Tsunki // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

The tyne is quite pretty at Haltwhistle.

• 21 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Toon1978
    True mate Fulham have truly shocking this season, still very much in relegation trouble
    Also see that Ruiz has been given permission to leave, found that a bit strange although he’s not had a great season

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

*happy enough :) this phone is killing me

• 23 JP...from The Rock // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

She has mad a huge difference to our fortunes concerning injuries. It is essential we sign her on a long term deal.

Just watching ManUre match v Swansea and all their threat comes from their latest superstar Janezaj. It shows how low they’ve gone yhat all they seem to do is depend on the youngster to save them feom embarrassment.

I really hope he moves to another club like City as ManUre seem to be doomed if he ever left it got injured. We need a player of similar il to take us to another level.

On our game v Man City I think if we’re lucky we could nick a draw.

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

OhShola…28th of February? Now can that be true with the window shutting on January 31th

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM

J4A…that’s because we can be equally clueless ;)

• 26 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

How many players have fans been disappointed that we didn’t sign who turned out to be really good at another club? And how many have been poor? I can think of loads of the latter…

• 27 Speed11 // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Jasper

The Defoe situation is a wierd one but it is true that he doesn’t actually start playing in the US till February don’t know if he is on loan to spurs till then.

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Love how pardew is whingeing on about the Fa helping us if we finish 5th!! As if a) the FA would help us and B) we came 5th !!!!!!

Really wonder what planet he’s on, especially when science is so cruelly against him

• 29 welshgeordie9 // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Come on swans

Jack Army

• 30 OhSholaAmeobi // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

jesper
    i think it was on BBCsport that he’s available right up until spurs europa league game on the 27th, not sure how it works but the mls season doesn’t start until march the 2nd usually.

• 31 OhSholaAmeobi // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

man city looks like a write off, as do chelsea, liverpool and arsenal away (although you can never say never).
    that leaves 14 games and 42 possible points to play for, safety is pretty much guaranteed (although, see above!).
    hopefully we go all out for europe, a gap will open up between us and the top 7 after this weekend probably but there are winnable games coming up.

• 32 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM

OhShola
    Yeah he’s signed for Toronto but doesn’t officially play for them until the end of Feb so I’d imagine it’s like when clubs used to loan Beckham and Donovan during the MLS off season

• 33 Krul To Be Kind // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Jesper

Defoe deal is a £6m done deal with him back on loan to spurs until the beginning of the new MLS season, so he is still a Spuds man until end of Feb.

He is a new MLS record signing at £6m I believe!

• 34 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Thanks Guys for clearing that up mates :) makes sense now
    (well not really but I guess the Toronto owners don’t care for money lol)

• 35 shearer and the duchess // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM

By jove chaps! Results could not have been more dastardly!
    Tomorrow, Mr Pardew needs to pull a rabbit out the bag and a dove out the jacket at the same time.
    I have every bit of faith in the fellow!
    He will be rogering Miss Downey as we speak! The dirty rotter will be telling the wife he has been doing fitness classes! That Miss Downey is a fit sort! Just my bloody type!

I’m looking forward to my first match at St James’ Park, I believe you chaps refer to it as the “temple on the hill”.

I have bought a new executive box and had a survey of it today. Lovely french doors on to keep that pesky North East chill out. Anyone of you good fellows are welcome to come and join me for a few glasses of champers!
    I will be wearing my dinner jacket and bowler hat in case you are looking for me.

I have read so much about the famous fortress of St James’ Park, I see nothing other than a 21-0 victory!
    I used to love rugby but I am so happy I discovered football and Newcastle United Tigers is my new club for life!

• 36 GeordieTwo // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Apologies for my comments about spyware. I don’t have the expertise to know where these attacks come from. I’m on football blogs a lot but that in no way means they are in any way at fault. Just me getting carried away. Anyway all the best to everyone out there in case I’ve sunk my own boat. :(

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Defoe should do well in MLS. It’s a better league than some might think though. Toronto have brought in several decent players including Michael Bradley from Roma as well I believe. Still it is good teams not teams with stars that do well in that league so I’ll watch to see if it works for them.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Anybody think Cisse will get some playing time tomorrow? I think he’ll get the usual 20 minutes with Shola unable to last a whole match anymore. It would be fantastic if he could snatch one and we were to win but not holding my breath like

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM

If we don’t get a win tomorrow I think the best we can hope for this season is to fight it out for eigth with Soton, I dont think it’s possible that Hull can catch up ten points, I bet the drab triumvirate would take the end of the season now.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM

If Man U dont manage that fourth spot, I’d love to see Everton grab it and sicken their arrogant local rivals.

• 41 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I wonder how many football clubs have fans as so downbeat and as submissive as what nufc fans seem to be at present ??
    Personally i dont think it matters who plays in shola or cisse……. There shooting boots are amiss this season

• 42 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

‘Science’

I like Marveaux, he has product, lovely short/medium passes and chip in with a few goals as well. You’d see his game raised, like Ben-Arfa, if the team based the philosophy around what they are good at, attacking. Cautious and defensive play isn’t suited to them, so they will obviously look wayward as the numbers going forward aren’t there.

They’re not in great surroundings for that under propaganda Pardew, as contrary to the illusion he gives the gullible, we aren’t an attacking team.

I’m sure you would see their skills develop a lot more under a positive manager where it is drilled into players to make certain runs at certain times and for specific interchangeable reasons.

There would be a lot more movement going on around them, therefore, they have more options of a pass, and in turn, a decisive pass which could lead to a goal.

Cisse may actually get proper service too, as Remy is now finding out, which is usually poor inside the 18 yard box.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Jazzyp…then you can have ‘em both on top mate ;) lol

• 44 Speed11 // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Jazzy

Agree there mate I miss the days of every game at sjp being a European night.

• 45 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Jail, yes it would be good to see Everton in there. They’ve been playing good football, so good on them.

• 46 Tino asprilla // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Well am going to the game tomorrow as my annual birthday treat, the last game i went to was chelsea last season and we won so i predict a win tomorrow. Am gonna go crazy and say 4-1 cos i can ha

• 47 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Laurent robert
    I agree with your philosophy but science doesn’t stop cisse constantly wondering offside.And for £60-70 k a week you would hope he would at least be able to control the ball

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Jazzyp,
    I’m not being funny but the season is over for us and it’s not looking likely that we’ll see any exciting new faces, if the club hadn’t of let us know differently we could at least be excited for the remainder of January thinking we might try for that sixth spot and a half chance of Europe.

• 49 Tino asprilla // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

In cisse’s defense i don’t think he is helped by our woefully slow build up play. Sometimes it is the pass that makes him look hopeless

• 50 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Marveaux should be starting every week. Can’t believe Man Utd won today. That has to be the shock of the day.

• 51 colwell // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Having low expectations is exactly what supporting Newcastle has turned into.

No emphasis to even try and win a cup, don’t want to get into Europe, we just play now to make sure we stay in the league. So boring. Low expectations now a days is the best thing we can do, just a get by team.

• 52 magicbus // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

If we dont sign anyone then I just hope Ashley takes out 40/50 mill to repay back some of the 100mill he lent us interest free. At least then the debt comes down and this time next season perhaps he will take back the rest.

• 53 Tino asprilla // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Marveaux is a passenger for the majority of the game we cannot afford players like that imo

• 54 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM

We will definitely sign De Jong, Gomis and Cabella. Adam Johnson and Steven Fletcher would be good signings but it isn’t going to happen.

• 55 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Jfa
    I know what ya saying bud, I thought that straight away when we lost to Cardiff last weekend. But 2 of my best mates unfortunately are Manure fans and there forums are not as downbeat as what we are at times. I personally didn’t think we would be in this league position at the beginning of the campaign and find that a plus point, Negatives as always………no fan feels that we are not moving in the right direction as we at present show little ambition, Unless of course we have another transfer window like last january

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM

magic bus,
    People constantly dig up the money Hall/Shepherd took, Ashleys here for awhile and you ain’t seen nothing yet.

• 57 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Colwell
    Tell that to 50,000 screaming Geordies tomorrow pal. I don’t believe for one minute that when every nufc player that runs out on to that pitch tomorrow settles for mediocrity or is happy to just finish mid table every season.

• 58 Belfast // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Anything out of this game is a bonus. West Ham game next week is far more important.

• 59 John Tudor // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

has the inexorable slide begun

• 60 Belfast // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Trust west ham to finally win just before they play us f*** sake.

• 61 Tino asprilla // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM

@belfast at least they wont be breaking their losing streak against us, as always seems to happen

• 62 Belfast // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Aye good point Tino lol

Have we actually won a game against one of his teams from he left ?

• 63 jimmysmith // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM

If Ashley were to take back the “debt” he is “owed” from profits generated by the club, then could we assume the asking price would come down also? Let me weigh that a spell, erm……No!

• 64 John Tudor // Jan 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM

well said jimmy
    he is just a f.g.b.

• 65 70TWO // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Can’t wait for Cabaye to do a deliciously dirty tackle on Toure tomorrow and walk away with only a yellow, leaving him for Tiote to pick on. If they show some spirit and some fight rather than the wet flannel they produced the last time out, it will give the crowd something to get behind.

• 66 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Don’t know if anybody has seen the Siem de jong link today, But what an amazing buy for around the 5 mill mark. He is definitely leaving ajax this window……….Siem de jong and Cabella for £15 mill-Bargain

• 67 Tino asprilla // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Dno but hate fat sams brand of football would rather pardew than him anyday

• 68 Tino asprilla // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Siem de jong would be my top priority if i was jfk. Dont know much on cabella but everyone seems excited by him so i am gna jump on the band wagon

• 69 70TWO // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Double de Jong deal would be Zebedee-dosious!!!

Bolton are looking for Defenders, would be good for Dummett on loan?

• 70 hkgeordie // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Can we have both the de Jong brothers. Is that the plan? I know, I know, I know we should not base judgements of youtube but the compilation vids are an enjoyble watch.

Tsunki, loved the comment re the stream – beautiful place!

• 71 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Siem de jong for 5mill,Luuk on loan with a view to a permanent if he works out…..Dekoke for the future is a no brainer even for the hierarchy we have at nufc

• 72 USAGEORDIE // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I wonder if we are showing any interest in Ravel Morrison. We almost got him a few years ago and now he seems to be wanting a move away from west ham. We could probably get him for £4m-£5m.

• 73 70TWO // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Siem de Jong has been hit by two injuries, only making 9 starts in the league this season but scoring 5. 4 starts in the CL but only one win at home to Celtic. He played the whole of last season scoring 12 league goals and 3 in CL.

• 74 Jail for Ashley // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I have gone on record and categorically stated that we wont sign anyone of note this window, how I’d love to end up with egg on my face and to be proved wrong, how many transfer windows will we hear “we’ll see the extent of Mashleys ambition this window” if he doesn’t spend the accountants will say the TV money isn’t here and then we’ll have the 17M Cabaye money in thd summer to spend, just hope that we finally see that debt reduced to 100M if we don’t spend.

• 75 Ibizatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:52 PM

JFA…Mark my words….next window is the window!

Talk of reducing debt is ridiculous at this stage…we have no money remember!?!

Honestly, do keep up.

• 76 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM

70two
    Siem de jong had a collapsed lung mate didn’t he. I think that’s why he aint played many games

• 77 Ibizatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM

jazzy…Sounds injury prone to me…or at best not a team player. I mean, why couldn’t he he play with one lung?!?

That’s the problem with these foreigners…they don’t have that drive and desire.

• 78 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Ibiza
    Howdy partner……Trouble is there not hard core enough mate.A night in Eden or Pachia and you’ll lose both.
    Nufc are to open contract talks with benny next week bud,Good move or bad ??

• 79 Ibizatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM

jazzy….Aye…much harder on the body than a 90 minute game of football…that’s it…pre season tour of Ibiza!

I guess the Benny news isn’t that much of a shock. Regardless of whether the club intend to keep him long term or not, the longer the contract the higher the fee….in theory anyway.

Still a big question mark over him for me. Not sure if it’s him or Pardew, probably a bit of both…but as things stand, for whatever reason, he’s not contributing enough to the end game. So that needs to be addressed or moved on…sadly. He’s still the most exciting player in our squad…after Williamson of course ;)

• 80 Mister Tuff // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Ibiza – by Gad sir you’re right – bloody Johnny Foreigner -don’t have the stiff upper lip. Pip pip.Would never get into the Regiment these days.

• 81 Ibizatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Tuff…Fear not, Kinnear has been extremely busy, despite appearing to do nothing other than write in matchday programs.

I understand in an attempt to man up the team, all new players will have a lung removed during their medicals to see how they cope.

No pansies to be signed by NUFC…plus the spare lungs are being packaged and sold by SD.

I love it when everything just comes together.

• 82 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Ibiza
    I personally think if he performed to what he is capable of week in week out he wouldn’t be with us as im sure a bigger team than nufc would have come aknocking.
    Put consistency to his game and he would be in the first eleven week in week out

• 83 Ibizatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM

jazzy…Oh why did you have to go and mention that word “consistency”…next you’ll be throwing “ambition” out there….

Come on, the weekend has no place for those sort of things.

But yeah, you’re right.

• 84 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Ibiza
    My bad,Got my sensible head on tonight.Vision clear….check.Nose clear…..check-Yes all sensible here bud…….prefer optimistic myself

• 85 Ibizatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM

jazzy…Always like a bit of optimism…

Right now I’m fairly calm about tomorrows game. Don’t really expect anything, which makes it all a bit easier.

Would be nice to see a spirited display from whoever is selected…I don’t mind losing too much when they give it a real go.

Our makeshift defense may provide a few scares tomorrow, but one thing I always expect with Newcastle is the unexpected….just not so much against Man City.

• 86 clinath@ed // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Just about to go to bed, but I’ll leave you with a question….how many teams in the EPL are currently “struggling” and have spent their TV money last summery?

• 87 DS_NUFC // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Anyone know what’s going on with Jonas @elgalgojonas: thanks for the messages. I enjoy my 5 years at the club, I hope the club finish the highest this season and the best to my team mates.

previous post: Pardew’s Encouragement For French Winger Standard Practice