The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Player Coming Through Strongly At Newcastle

9:44 am, Saturday, January 11th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

We could be wrong, (yes – it has happened once or twice before), but we think 21 year-old Frenchman Massadio Haidara could be Newcastle’s starting left back in the years to come.

massadio haidara cardiff

Massadio Haidara – could start the game tomorrow

And the French U21 International could get a start tomorrow against the mighty Manchester City – the best team money can buy – because Italian International Davide Santon is doubtful with a thigh injury.

Massadio played in last weekend’s FA Cup defeat to Cardiff City, but he has never started in a Premier League game yet, and that could happen tomorrow.

In fact if there’s any doubt at all about Davide’s injury  - he should not play, because it could only make his injury worse.

This is what Alan Pardew said in the local papers about his young left-footed left-back today:

“Sadio’s confidence is high if I do have to put him in,” “But Santon has had a good season, and if he’s fit, he’ll have a good chance of starting.”

Davide is still the number one left back at the club at the moment, but it could get interesting as the season progresses, and the Italian will need to keep turning in those good performances – something he is no doubt already aware of.

And there was some good news on the injury front yesterday with Tim Krul and Yohan Cabaye fit again after missing just one game – the disastrous 2-1 FA Cup defeat at home to Cardiff City last Saturday.

Coloccini is still out injured and Mathieu Debuchy will be serving the second game of his three match ban, for being sent off against West Brom – so it’s good that we have just a couple of  injuries at the moment.

That doesn’t include the long term knee injury to Ryan Taylor – who is expected to return for pre-season training in July, when he should  be fully fit again.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Davide Santon · Injuries · Massadio Haidara · Premier League

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 Harley // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I think Haidara should get his chance now. If he sinks bring back santon but I believe Haidara is the better player.

• 2 metaloverlord // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

• 3 shearer and the duchess // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM

It will be another spunky decision to bring Hadaira into the formation.
    Spunky is good. Mr Pardew is not frightened to make big changes.

• 4 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Just Voted for demba ba out of the poll for which cf to bring in. I know I’ve banged on about it before, And yes he left under acrimonious circumstances. But out of all the forwards he is the only one that I would not hae hesitation to put straight into the firing line. Going for gomis-long ect is just like admitting that we are going to float along mid table, And not actually challenge for anything

• 5 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Any

• 6 Klatoon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Does it have to be one or the other? Santon RB, Sadio LB. sorted! Unless AP wants to play Saylor and shunt MYM to fullback.

• 7 Vask // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM

See Hll have agreed a fee for Jelavic…

• 8 lesh // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM

jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Any……..

Old

• 9 bobby mango // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Metaloverlord – have you got examples of players who’ve been sold once their value has risen?
    I don’t like Ashley but but that’s unfair criticism.
    No club would’ve turned down 35m for Carroll. Ba had a clause. Enrique is the only other I can think of. The rest that have left were deadwood or ousted for dressing room reasons, not financial.

We’ve kept hold of Krul, Tiote, Cabaye for a few seasons. And 99.9% of players move on at some point.

So I think Haidara could be play LB for a few years.

Jazzy – I don’t think Ba will have the same impact if he returned. In theory he would be the most suited player but just can’t see the return being great.
    Personally I’d like to see De Jong here, loan to buy is a low risk option, he could be a bargain.

• 10 bills-son // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM

bobby mango,

The ‘Ashley sells as soon as he can make a profit’ myth is one that has been repeated so often it is now a false ‘fact’.

• 11 Ian Toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Mr Tuff – It’s not written in his job description that he has to endure stupidity , rudeness and offensive comments. It’s not an age thing because many of my age bracket would not dream of seeking a response in an ill mannered way. Aside from that it’s my experience that he is a perfectly reasonable individual trying to keep all and sundry happy which in dealing with the public is almost impossible.

It’s not rocket science. A lack of finesse and intelligent questioning will get you precisely know-where . It requires a more measured and thoughtful approach. I could give you personal examples but you are not one to be won over from an entrenched view.

I prefer to look for the qualities rather than the faults in the gentleman in question and I think he is doing a good job for the community which goes beyond the requirements of the job.

Enjoy your weekend.

• 12 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Bobby
    The only reserved judgement I have on de jong is that he is untested in the Pl and I don’t want to see another Cisse scenario all over again .Yes he is the right age and has lots of potential, But the dutch league is nothing to go off………..just look at altidore for one example

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Are mister tuff and Shearer and the duchess one and the same? not complaining, twice the fun!!!

Sean

It was widely felt Obertan was Pardew’s buy. Marveaux is a good player, just poorly coached. I think Gosling may pre-date both Pardew and Carr. Amaltifano has never had a chance to show anything.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Jazzy

Cisse scenario!! 14 goals in 13 games when he first came. Another who has been both ”Pardewed” and unlucky with disallowed goals

• 15 Rotonda heights // Jan 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Did you mean nowhere, not know-where?

• 16 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Rotunda
    If strolla is being picked in front of cisse, I rest my case.
    Yes initially the 2nd half of the season he was a success but since no he hasn’t . Percy doesn’t constantly make him run off side or suddenly have no ball control.Yes he scored last week but jesus he was sh@t in all other aspects of his game.
    If it came between a choice of cisse or ba I would choose Ba everyday of the week

• 17 shearer and the duchess // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I feel so proud to support such a magnificent football team.
    I wish I had done so all my life instead of getting sucked into the glory of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and latterly Manchester City.
    I’m actually finding supporting Newcastle United this season far more interesting.
    You chaps are far more spunky. I can’t wait to visit “the temple on the hill”.
    I really feel I’ve found the club I will support forever.

• 18 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM

A court in Marseille has ruled that Newcastle’s Loic Remy must take a paternity test. More to follow. #NUFC #QPR
    Yet another miss demeanour for our loanee Loic

• 19 wolfshead@toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM

the temple on the hill sounds like a euphemism :-)

• 20 lesh // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Ian Toon …… You’re right in approaching things the right way. To go in with the subtlety of the blitz serves no purpose whatsoever.

But there are some who are so self -centred that they are oblivious to fact that different approaches bring different results, that they’ll never achieve anything more than failure.

• 21 wolfshead@toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

@16

on ba yes and seemingly looking at your post 18 unlike remy he can keep it in his pants :-)

• 22 Ian Toon // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I recently came across and rescued an old Newcastle home shirt from 2001 which was going to be thrown out. It has an NTL logo in purple and green which is quite ugly in that it takes away the simplicity of the classic black and white but there are redeeming aspects.

The period 2001-003 saw toon players who wore the shirt far from the ordinary. Alan Shearer scoring for fun and Gary Speed at his dynamic best and complemented by Solano and Laurent Robert on the wings both terrifying opposition defences and displaying their free-kick pedigree. A defence with my favourite goalkeeper Shay Given.

Sir Bobby Robson was manager and guiding the club to fourth and third place respectively in 2001-02 and 2002-03 magnificent times in the Premier League. However, it was the Champions League campaign in the last year of NTL’s sponsorship that was most special.

Some will remember that after losing their first three games in our Group to Dynamo Kiev, Feyenoord and Juventus, Newcastle miraculously and unbelievably won the next three. Including a last-minute Craig Bellamy goal in Rotterdam which ensured passage through to the second group stage. Looking back a boring kit was indeed resplendent. (I don’t envisage such triumph involving Wonga).

The next phase saw heavy defeats at the hands of Inter Milan and Barcelona as We failed to qualify. But the shirt will remain worth keeping.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Ian

Those were certainly good times weren’t they, was a great period for the club, not through success but because we were lead by such a great and true gent in Sir Bobby.

He was a person that, no matter what off field issues with shepherd/board, always had a good feeling about the ground. People loved him and players respected and played their hearts out for him.

I’d love somebody like that leading the team now. I am no Pardew fan, don’t think he is as useless as some do, but certainly doesn’t play a free, attacking game that all fans, ours or neutrals, love to see. It would be great to see European nights at St. James’ again, especially champs league, although Europa still has plenty of big European names in.

I don’t care if it hinders or league form, or if it doesn’t generate the cash, I’m a football fan and just want to see those times return to the region.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

On Pardew saying players in the last week

Well that’s fine with me, obviously prefer them now but there are 3 parties in deals…..buyer, seller and player (plus all hangers on influencing deals).

It’s up to everyone to agree, we may have a deal agreed but the selling club want to wait to see if they get a replacement, selling a good player in January is always a big risk and deals often happen late, even if it’s just so a team can get an extra few games out of their player or to try and squeeze a little more money out of the deal.

Our team has coped pretty well so far so I don’t think we are desperately in need to sign now, another week or two won’t hurt. We have city this weekend and even 3 new players would still see us 2nd favourites so not the end of the world to wait another week.

We should have enough to win the games after that without reinforcements so I’m not too worried.

• 25 bollance // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM

It seems Remy is as prolific off the pitch as he is on it. Let’s all hope he has not scored a disallowed goal off the pitch and he is found not guilty in his more serious court case (of the two).

• 26 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM

ian

have you seen this in the mag?

It’s a little one sided but fair I feel.

• 27 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

bollance

Personally I don’t hope for a certain outcome, I hope the truth is revealed whether good or bad for us and Remy.

Football is very trivial compared to the two issues in question over him.

• 28 bollance // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I have always thought that we should not keep players who don’t want to be here. But now reserve that judgement.

Ba played his best football with us because he was playing for a move to a big club. Think about how he played, rarely passing to Cisse when they played together and shooting from every angle.

Perhaps Cabaye is now in the same boat and playing for a move and his place in the French WC team.

Move on cabaye at the end of the season and replace if he doesn’t want in. Tough act to follow but G Carr has an excellent record in coming up trumps.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Bollance

I think as long as the player is giving 100% for the team I dont care if he wants to go, wants to just play for the money, or anything.

• 30 Ancientcoptic // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

metaloverlord // Jan 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

“Haidara won’t be our fullback for years to come. Once his value rises he will be sold off. Same as everyone else.”

Fail!

• 31 Ancientcoptic // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM

bobby mango – Enrique was not sold for profit. He has one year left on his contract, we cashed instead of losing him for free. (He could have used the webster ruling too)

• 32 Robby Bobson // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Siem de jong is being linked now…cracking player better than luuk. Wouldnt mind both

• 33 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM

There is a genuine point to complain about Ashley for transfer policy, gambling with leaving us short.

Carroll sold last minute (good business) but got lucky best stayed fit for once and got 6 goals.

We gambled on no new CB when taylor got injured the 5th placed year….willo and colo did well and the odd game missed perch did quite well (better CB than saylor in my books).

That’s Ashleys issue, not always buying quick enough.

He doesn’t look to cash in every chance he gets, only done it once and 99.9999% here would do the same, all other sales have been due to expiring contracts, players not good enough or deemed to be problem causers.

• 34 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

robby

there’s the article….5mil is a steal…even 8

• 35 mag // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM

They can sign all the players they like but as long as Plodder Pardew is here with his limited team tactics nothing will change. Three years of failure under this man is enough!

• 36 JaxtheMag // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:29 PM

lets see if he can stop navas.

• 37 Toon1978 // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Bring in both Siem and Luke De Jong. Would be very happy with that.

• 38 Transfer Sage // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM

mag

Singing players is win win for us though. It shows Ashley has more ambition that just mid table if we start bringing in that quality of player, he will want to push on, otherwise we’d sit still with no real signings.

so 1. Pardew gets these good players and they start playing well

or

2. Ashley will ask if I am spending this much on these players then why aren’t you doing more with them?

• 39 mattyNUFC // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Santon’s had a good season? seriously?

Further confirmation he sees each match quite differently to nearly everyone. I can say unequivocally Davide Santon has been one of our worst performers all year. He’s showed consistency only in his plunge from the first half of last season when he was head and shoulders above anyone else in the team performance-wise.

He is nearly as frustrating to watch as shola. Oop! what’s that Davide? Another surging run down the left? Oh, of course, cut back to your right and deliver another sub par cross which gets cleared and your marker is 20 yards downfield now. It’s clear for all to see he is a RB. He is infuriating to watch in the attacking half, and has never offered much at the back. He should sit on the bench for awhile, because he’d no LB and on form, he sure as hell isn’t getting ahead of Debuchy right now

• 40 Unbelievable Tekkers // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Wanted us to get Siem De Jong for so long really hope we can land him. Wheres torq?

• 41 Tsunki // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Shearer & The Duchess – its you, Beattie, isnt it? :) I believe, Sir, that you, Sir, are preoccupied with, Sir, a certain word, Sir! Sir, I think its time you came clean about your identity, Sir. :)

• 42 Tsunki // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Matty – thank you. I am now a little bit more than concerned that Pards thinks Santon has had a good season. He’s ripe for replacement, he seems to be on the verge of settling in then has a pretty awful display. Problem is, he usually make others look dodgy, a bit like someone who is bad at driving – they see lots of crashes going on around them, but never seem to have one themselves.

• 43 Tsunki // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Sage – Singing Players? Sounds interesting, would be offputting for an opposing striker about to leap for a corner ball and having an onrushing defender coming at him with ‘Con te Partiro’….

• 44 mattyNUFC // Jan 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM

tsunki

brilliant analogy

• 45 shearer and the duchess // Jan 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Mr Mag

I’m sure you don’t mean those condescending words about Mr Pardew.
    He might be a rotter with the ladies but he’s done magnificently since he arrived.

Mr Tsunki

This Beattie character sounds a real cad.
    Is he full of feisty spunk too?

• 46 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Tsunki…I am pretty happy about Santon as well ;-)

…it is a bit like the Benny discussion again (we all tend to view this from a different perspective)

Take Willo and Shola for example – some are very vocal about their performance this season where I don’t think they have been bad they have just been very indifferent :-) but for some they have been very good!

It is bit like when we discuss football in general on here – beauty tends to be in the eyes for the beholder – TS and I had a very productive discussion about this the other day! I am just saying…

• 47 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Anyone noticed the crap that Kevin Nolan is getting from West Ham fans recently?

Makes it a poor decision to give him a 5 year contract on high wages just 2 years ago doesn’t it? I think Pardew said at the time that he didn’t see Nolan as being a first team player for Newcastle in 2016.

Nolan wanted to go because West Ham were going to throw money at him past his sell by date, he left to maximise his income, just as Defoe has done by going to the US.

• 48 kilcline // Jan 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Who we should sign:

Richards – Not a city starter, potential England CB/RB
    Ince – Will add goals from midfield and £4m is a snip
    De Jong – Loan, worth a punt, his game will suit the prem

• 49 Rotonda heights // Jan 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM

TDS

Was all for Nolan moving on. Slow, no creativity. Only thing he did was sometimes get on to some hopeful flick ons from some big lump up font, but even that doesn’t happen any more.

• 50 JP...from The Rock // Jan 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I rate him much higher than Santon who leaves us very exposed at the back when he goes on those predictable runs of his.

• 51 matt11_25 // Jan 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM

might be MYM at RB instead

previous post: Newcastle Preparing For Cabaye’s Summer Departure?

next post: Pardew’s Encouragement For French Winger Standard Practice