The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gutierrez – I Had A Great Time At Newcastle

9:00 am, Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

As we reported last night Newcastle’s Argentine International Jonas Gutierrez has joined Norwich City on loan until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent switch for a transfer fee of £3M in the summer.

jonas gutierrez at norwich

Jonas Gutierrez at Norwich yesterday

Jonas has been squeezed out at Newcastle this season, since Yoan Gouffran and Moussa Sissoko have made the wide positions their own, and like Jonas, they also work their socks off for the team,

We didn’t hear much from Jonas, and certainly no complaints, during his time in the wilderness on Tyneside, but that’s a reflection of the first-rate professional he’s been at the club, and he’s been at Newcastle now for five and a half years.

The 21 times capped Argentine International made only one start in the first game of the season at Manchester City, and one sub appearance at Cardiff City, so it’s all happened very quickly, with Jonas often not even making the bench this season.

This is what Gutierrez told Norwich’s official website.

“In five years I played quite a lot,” “I found myself in a position which was quite new for me.” “I wasn’t involved much in the games, but that is football. It changes a lot.”

“I want to be back and to play football.”“I know Chris from the period we worked together in Newcastle,” “It was the biggest point to me. It’s great to be here, and I want to do my best.”

“Of course, it was a great time I had there.” “I have a lot of friends there – and it’s going to be different to train at another training ground and play at another stadium. But that is football.”

Gutierrez will not be eligible to play against Newcastle at Carrow Road in the game on Tuesday night, 28th January.

Jonas Gutierrez played a total of 194 games for Newcastle with 11 goals, and we wish him all the best at Norwich City.

Note: Danny Gordon is one of our readers and he’s doing a survey as part of his  final year in Mechanical Engineering at Northumbria University – please help Danny by taking the survey on renewable energy – here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Jonas Gutierrez · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I still haven’t heard anything from the club stating Jones can/will join Norwich at the end of the season in a £3M deal and neither have I heard Norwich are paying his wages while his on loan?

…can anyone confirm any of this?

• 2 thejokethatisnufc // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I live Gutti, good look to him top professional.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Great player for us, signed at a time when I believed in Ashley shows how long he’s been with us !

• 4 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Been reading up yesterdays comments…

Excellent postings Our Toon and Catchy about the reliance of long shots and lack of inside the box chance creation. Good stat work Our Toon.

Good luck to Jonas at Norwich. Even though he had no assists last year, he can still be a very useful player if he’s is played in the correct manner.

• 5 ash1001 // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Jonas, All the best mate, you did us proud, worked your cotton socks off for the fans and the club.

It now appears obvious that the rumour about Jonas having to be offered a new contract if he played a number of games is true, so ‘our very honourable club’ black ball him and leave him to stew before CH comes along.

Just another below the belt move by NUFC, it appears loyalty means nothing in the MA world whether it be club official, players or us the fans who feed him. Sorry but the treatment of Jonas really has annoyed me.

• 6 catchy in norway // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM

good luck mate

back with someone who made you one of my fave players,

previous post: Referee Punished After Huge Newcastle Error