Newcastle Linked With Leicester Winger

There is news today in Sports Direct News that Newcastle United are interested in French U21 International winger Anthony Knockaert, who is currently at Leicester City.

Soccer - npower Football League Championship - Leicester City v Huddersfield Town - King Power Stadium

Anthony Knockaert – in good form for Leicester City

Leicester are flying high at the top of the English Championship at the moment, and Newcastle were linked with their 20 year-old center-back Liam Moore over the weekend, so it seems Newcastle scouts must have been at the Leicester games recently, but which player the club are really interested in is not clear.

22 year-old Knockaert was born in Roubaix, France and was signed from Guingamp in August of 2012 by Leicester City.

And SportsDirect News is reporting that Newcastle scouts were at the game against Derby on Friday night to watch the Frenchman, but that was what also the report about Liam Moore.

Knockaert is on a three-year contract a Leicester, so his contract still has eighteen months to run, and the Frenchman has been in excellent form for the Foxes this season.

Anthony has played 75 times for Leicester with 15 goals, and he has played three times for the French U21 side.

Note: Danny Gordon is one of our readers and he’s doing a survey as part of his final year in Mechanical Engineering at Northumbria University – please help Danny by taking the survey on renewable energy – here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• John Tudor

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

we will be linked with a chain soon knowing kinnear

• toon1707

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

The same sports direct news site a few month back that said we were going to bid for Rooney nothing on that site has ever came true it’s worse than caught offside

• Rotonda heights

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

should have got him before he went to leicester when we first linked

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Complete horses’, hes a decent champo player, nothing else. He will be one of the first players Leicester will be looking to replace, should they finish on top.

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I think there is better options out there than this guy…….Next

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM

BandB
    I think willo has proven a lot of people wrong this season,And i’ll glady admit to being one of them.But is that because of what we have in terms of a centre back ??.For me Colo looks like he wants to be elsewhere,Saylor although I thought he had a good game sunday is not a player to build a team around which just leaves Mapou

• santonthenewmaldini

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Anyone think this guy is not any better than Amalfitino , Abied or Sammy ?

Always wonder how some of our players who have been ousted would do given a proper run in the team not just thrown in at the deep end in a cup game and then not given any other game time

• BandB

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM

jazzyp,

I was wrong about Williamson too. I don’t recall if I ever outright slagged him, because players can prove you wrong.
    But I harboured ill-will towards him, for which I am happy to apologize.
    Mapou looks like a confident ball-player to me. I hope he will be encouraged to supplement that with growing sense of when to commit and when to stand up, (he is a bairn in defender terms) rather that have someone interfere with his basic game.
    Someone suggested earlier that Taylor has a half-time pint. I think it is Sunny Delight he is drinking, as he always seems hyper. His eyes are nuts. He needs to channel his urge to do well.

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I have definitely been critical of Willo in the past, however, I have always been lenient with him because we signed him in the Champo, for very little, and he has always provided us good service. This season though, he has consistently looked like he deserves his spot in the Prem. Well done Willo.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM

No need to worry lads…we won’t sign anyone anyway 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Woman gives birth to seven pound trout was a headline once in the Daily Sport, I’d be more inclined to believe one of their notoriously ridiculous statements than anything coming from SD news.

• BandB

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Jesper,

I think the original five-year-plan is very much still on. It is gradually being righted after being pushed off course by us RIDICULOUSLY qualifying for Europe.
    Joe isn’t an idiot, as you said earlier. His job is to see the plan out and take the heat for it. And he is succeeding.
    If you are on a bus journey, and don’t recognize the landmarks of the route, it is likely because the bus isn’t headed where you hoped it was headed.

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM

de Jong deal rumoured to be 1 million initial loan with a six million fee if he’s taken on permanently…………………..apparently 😉

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Jesper
    Come on mate,Try and stay positive pal. Luuk de jong is looking like it is going to happen and there is no one is to say we have not got our fingers in many pies

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Jb
    Evening pal.From what I can gather the only hold up is for Monchengladbach to bring in a replacement

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM

JackButler, if that’s the price, then £7M we should take their hand off. I would have expected him to depreciate a little from £13M they paid for him, but that price. It’s a no brainer. I’m assuming we can decide not to sign him if he turns out to be unable to play in the Prem too?

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

jazzyp

Good evening mate, his representatives are said to be meeting with gladbach officials tomorrow or Thursday to sort things out…………………..lets wait and see what actually happens with this one

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

G

He’s had a stinker for one reason or another since going to Germany, their current coach simply doesn’t trust him (his words) and he’s been reduced to three or four minutes cameo’s.

A loan deal will at least give us a chance to see if his downfall if to one manager not seeing him as being good enough or whether there is something else going on with the lad, but if he can find his form again then seven million would be a steal

• BandB

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I read (John Gibson) that De Jong is on eighty grand a week and we won’t pay more than fifty a week for a loan, and therefore we will be asking them to meet part of the wages.
    If Remy was two million for a season, a million for half a season seems about right.
    If the Norwich deal is similar, it might partly explain why high-earning Jonas was suddenly rushed to the top of the “can do without for now” list.

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Yes Mr T I still think its hilarious that you think Colo os a poor defender, being included ina PL team of the season, however its your view even if its not the majority one. And for Spoof, sorry mate, even though I dont think Pardew and his staff are world beaters they know a LOT more than ou about who should be put in charge of Central defence for many years. Not long ago most on this blog would see it as a catastrophe that he wasnt at the heart of it, and I havent got that bad a memory that I cant remmeber MYM and Willo being decidely dodgy stand ins. OK slate Obertan, Shola etc, but you wont kid the majority with your rewrite of history on Colo.

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM

BandB
    If that’s the case than how desperate does that smell of.
    If we can only bring in one player on loan by supplementing an existing player then talkof Cabella and the likes have no legs what so ever

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM

JB, he has had a couple of decent runs lateley (by that I mean he is getting more than 20 mins game time), and he’s been looking much better. If Gladbach don’t want him, I think we should get him. See 2 threads ago for my reasons, but I reckon this lads a rough gem.

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I think the reason Jonas has left is simply down to Pardew seeing so many players ahead of him in the pecking order and doesn’t see the point in having one of the biggest earners at the club not even involved with the first team squad come match day

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Jazzyp,
    I think you misunderstood my posts about loans, I meant it serves no purpose unless we have an option to buy regardless of how well they perform, no good them cutting the mustard then pricing their selves out.

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM

G

I’ve watched the lad for some time and agree that IF he regains his form then he is one hell of a player, whether he can make his mark in the EPL is yet to be seen, but God knows we need someone like him when he’s at his best

• BandB

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

jazzyp,

I think Cabella will come into play (in the summer) if Yohan or Ben Arfa go now, or then. And only if Cabella can be convinced that we are still a reliable stepping stone. Would he take a five year contract on the basis of our implied disinterest in Europe?
    I think that game is up.

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

G
    I feel that we need to bring in forwards now rather than the summer.Remy I cant see staying, Strolla gone, And that leaves big bad Cisse.
    If we can get him on loan with a view to a permanent with an agreed fee then its a no brainer as said

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM

* PL team of the week – december v man u which is Spoofs answer.

• Toon1978

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM

We could really push on with a few additions in this window. It is a year this month since our last permanent signing which is poor imho. There are all sorts of rumours flying about but for me, the one that makes more sense is to bring in both Luuk and Seim De Jong. Cabella would be a very wise move but i believe his price is just little too much for our most generous owner to part with. I do think we will bring ONE player in which is a real shame. Luuk De Jong will be the only new face i believe.

• Sazzer

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Anybody know our homegrown status? I don’t remember…did we fill it up with Remy or did we have any more space over?

Otherwise, we need to get rid of players like Obertan, Jonas etc before we can start bringing players in.

Last year we did the majority of our business between January 20th – 25th.

• Ancientcoptic

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Sports Direct News? the outlet that linked us with Wayne Rooney…

*cough*

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

JFA

Regarding your post about Shearer and co., I don’t think that supports the argument at all. We only got Shearer because he’s a Geordie and he stands out a mile as our outstanding player in the last 20 years.

My point was that our transfer policy has allowed us to sign top players like Cabaye, Debuchy, Ben Arfa and Tiote, yet without the likes of Owen, Boumsong, Cort and Marcelino. They were all poor signing for one reason or another as not enough research was done.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Sazzer

Errr…do you read the NUFC news? Jonas?

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Sazzer

This time las year we didn’t have the Captain of the Idiot ship Kinnear trying to make things happen.

Remember what he told us “Judge me on my signings”.

so far that has been one loan deal that will either see the lad leave us come the summer or end up sharing a cell with a guy called Bubba!!!

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Yeah right…we’re going to sign a Frenchman from an English club…so he won’t contribute towards homegrown but he will cost a fortune! Can’t see that happening…

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM

TDS
    In a mood tonight are we

• WWSBRD

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Player links into double figures surely, isn’t it all exciting?

• jazzyp

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

BandB
    Would sooner keep Cabs over Benny, But we all know Cabs is going to be gone sooner rather than later. So surely the hierarchy know this is going to happen at the latest summer so you would think a ready made replacement in the form of cabella would be brought in before………..But then again its Nufc were talking about

• Sazzer

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:39 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    Yes I know Jonas is gone and that we now can bring at least one player from anywhere in the world. Question was how many places we have left before he left. If we need players out of the door first to bring players in then maybe some deals need to be put on hold to get best deal.

• JackButler

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

WWSBRD

Exciting?

A sense of approaching disappointment?

Oh yes 😀