The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Linked With Leicester Winger

7:17 pm, Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 163 Comments

There is news today in Sports Direct News that Newcastle United are interested in French U21 International winger Anthony Knockaert, who is currently at Leicester City.

Soccer - npower Football League Championship - Leicester City v Huddersfield Town - King Power Stadium

Anthony Knockaert – in good form for Leicester City

Leicester are flying high at the top of the English Championship at the moment, and Newcastle were linked with their 20 year-old center-back Liam Moore over the weekend, so it seems Newcastle scouts must have been at the Leicester games recently, but which player the club are really interested in is not clear.

22 year-old Knockaert was born in Roubaix, France and was signed from Guingamp in August of 2012 by Leicester City.

And SportsDirect News is reporting that Newcastle scouts were at the game against Derby on Friday night to watch the Frenchman, but that was what also the report about Liam Moore.

Knockaert is on a three-year contract a Leicester, so his contract still has eighteen months to run, and the Frenchman has been in excellent form for the Foxes this season.

Anthony has played 75 times for Leicester with 15 goals, and he has played three times for the French U21 side.

Note: Danny Gordon is one of our readers and he’s doing a survey as part of his final year in Mechanical Engineering at Northumbria University – please help Danny by taking the survey on renewable energy – here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

163 responses so far ↓

• 1 John Tudor // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

we will be linked with a chain soon knowing kinnear

• 2 toon1707 // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

The same sports direct news site a few month back that said we were going to bid for Rooney nothing on that site has ever came true it’s worse than caught offside

• 3 Rotonda heights // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

should have got him before he went to leicester when we first linked

• 4 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Complete horses’, hes a decent champo player, nothing else. He will be one of the first players Leicester will be looking to replace, should they finish on top.

• 5 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I think there is better options out there than this guy…….Next

• 6 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM

BandB
    I think willo has proven a lot of people wrong this season,And i’ll glady admit to being one of them.But is that because of what we have in terms of a centre back ??.For me Colo looks like he wants to be elsewhere,Saylor although I thought he had a good game sunday is not a player to build a team around which just leaves Mapou

• 7 santonthenewmaldini // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Anyone think this guy is not any better than Amalfitino , Abied or Sammy ?

Always wonder how some of our players who have been ousted would do given a proper run in the team not just thrown in at the deep end in a cup game and then not given any other game time

• 8 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM

jazzyp,

I was wrong about Williamson too. I don’t recall if I ever outright slagged him, because players can prove you wrong.
    But I harboured ill-will towards him, for which I am happy to apologize.
    Mapou looks like a confident ball-player to me. I hope he will be encouraged to supplement that with growing sense of when to commit and when to stand up, (he is a bairn in defender terms) rather that have someone interfere with his basic game.
    Someone suggested earlier that Taylor has a half-time pint. I think it is Sunny Delight he is drinking, as he always seems hyper. His eyes are nuts. He needs to channel his urge to do well.

• 9 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I have definitely been critical of Willo in the past, however, I have always been lenient with him because we signed him in the Champo, for very little, and he has always provided us good service. This season though, he has consistently looked like he deserves his spot in the Prem. Well done Willo.

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM

No need to worry lads…we won’t sign anyone anyway ;)

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Woman gives birth to seven pound trout was a headline once in the Daily Sport, I’d be more inclined to believe one of their notoriously ridiculous statements than anything coming from SD news.

• 12 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Jesper,

I think the original five-year-plan is very much still on. It is gradually being righted after being pushed off course by us RIDICULOUSLY qualifying for Europe.
    Joe isn’t an idiot, as you said earlier. His job is to see the plan out and take the heat for it. And he is succeeding.
    If you are on a bus journey, and don’t recognize the landmarks of the route, it is likely because the bus isn’t headed where you hoped it was headed.

• 13 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM

de Jong deal rumoured to be 1 million initial loan with a six million fee if he’s taken on permanently…………………..apparently ;)

• 14 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Jesper
    Come on mate,Try and stay positive pal. Luuk de jong is looking like it is going to happen and there is no one is to say we have not got our fingers in many pies

• 15 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Jb
    Evening pal.From what I can gather the only hold up is for Monchengladbach to bring in a replacement

• 16 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM

JackButler, if that’s the price, then £7M we should take their hand off. I would have expected him to depreciate a little from £13M they paid for him, but that price. It’s a no brainer. I’m assuming we can decide not to sign him if he turns out to be unable to play in the Prem too?

• 17 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

jazzyp

Good evening mate, his representatives are said to be meeting with gladbach officials tomorrow or Thursday to sort things out…………………..lets wait and see what actually happens with this one

• 18 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

G

He’s had a stinker for one reason or another since going to Germany, their current coach simply doesn’t trust him (his words) and he’s been reduced to three or four minutes cameo’s.

A loan deal will at least give us a chance to see if his downfall if to one manager not seeing him as being good enough or whether there is something else going on with the lad, but if he can find his form again then seven million would be a steal

• 19 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I read (John Gibson) that De Jong is on eighty grand a week and we won’t pay more than fifty a week for a loan, and therefore we will be asking them to meet part of the wages.
    If Remy was two million for a season, a million for half a season seems about right.
    If the Norwich deal is similar, it might partly explain why high-earning Jonas was suddenly rushed to the top of the “can do without for now” list.

• 20 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Yes Mr T I still think its hilarious that you think Colo os a poor defender, being included ina PL team of the season, however its your view even if its not the majority one. And for Spoof, sorry mate, even though I dont think Pardew and his staff are world beaters they know a LOT more than ou about who should be put in charge of Central defence for many years. Not long ago most on this blog would see it as a catastrophe that he wasnt at the heart of it, and I havent got that bad a memory that I cant remmeber MYM and Willo being decidely dodgy stand ins. OK slate Obertan, Shola etc, but you wont kid the majority with your rewrite of history on Colo.

• 21 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM

BandB
    If that’s the case than how desperate does that smell of.
    If we can only bring in one player on loan by supplementing an existing player then talkof Cabella and the likes have no legs what so ever

• 22 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM

JB, he has had a couple of decent runs lateley (by that I mean he is getting more than 20 mins game time), and he’s been looking much better. If Gladbach don’t want him, I think we should get him. See 2 threads ago for my reasons, but I reckon this lads a rough gem.

• 23 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I think the reason Jonas has left is simply down to Pardew seeing so many players ahead of him in the pecking order and doesn’t see the point in having one of the biggest earners at the club not even involved with the first team squad come match day

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Jazzyp,
    I think you misunderstood my posts about loans, I meant it serves no purpose unless we have an option to buy regardless of how well they perform, no good them cutting the mustard then pricing their selves out.

• 25 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM

G

I’ve watched the lad for some time and agree that IF he regains his form then he is one hell of a player, whether he can make his mark in the EPL is yet to be seen, but God knows we need someone like him when he’s at his best

• 26 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

jazzyp,

I think Cabella will come into play (in the summer) if Yohan or Ben Arfa go now, or then. And only if Cabella can be convinced that we are still a reliable stepping stone. Would he take a five year contract on the basis of our implied disinterest in Europe?
    I think that game is up.

• 27 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

G
    I feel that we need to bring in forwards now rather than the summer.Remy I cant see staying, Strolla gone, And that leaves big bad Cisse.
    If we can get him on loan with a view to a permanent with an agreed fee then its a no brainer as said

• 28 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM

* PL team of the week – december v man u which is Spoofs answer.

• 29 Toon1978 // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM

We could really push on with a few additions in this window. It is a year this month since our last permanent signing which is poor imho. There are all sorts of rumours flying about but for me, the one that makes more sense is to bring in both Luuk and Seim De Jong. Cabella would be a very wise move but i believe his price is just little too much for our most generous owner to part with. I do think we will bring ONE player in which is a real shame. Luuk De Jong will be the only new face i believe.

• 30 Sazzer // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Anybody know our homegrown status? I don’t remember…did we fill it up with Remy or did we have any more space over?

Otherwise, we need to get rid of players like Obertan, Jonas etc before we can start bringing players in.

Last year we did the majority of our business between January 20th – 25th.

• 31 Ancientcoptic // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Sports Direct News? the outlet that linked us with Wayne Rooney…

*cough*

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

JFA

Regarding your post about Shearer and co., I don’t think that supports the argument at all. We only got Shearer because he’s a Geordie and he stands out a mile as our outstanding player in the last 20 years.

My point was that our transfer policy has allowed us to sign top players like Cabaye, Debuchy, Ben Arfa and Tiote, yet without the likes of Owen, Boumsong, Cort and Marcelino. They were all poor signing for one reason or another as not enough research was done.

• 33 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Sazzer

Errr…do you read the NUFC news? Jonas?

• 34 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Sazzer

This time las year we didn’t have the Captain of the Idiot ship Kinnear trying to make things happen.

Remember what he told us “Judge me on my signings”.

so far that has been one loan deal that will either see the lad leave us come the summer or end up sharing a cell with a guy called Bubba!!!

• 35 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Yeah right…we’re going to sign a Frenchman from an English club…so he won’t contribute towards homegrown but he will cost a fortune! Can’t see that happening…

• 36 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM

TDS
    In a mood tonight are we

• 37 WWSBRD // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Player links into double figures surely, isn’t it all exciting?

• 38 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

BandB
    Would sooner keep Cabs over Benny, But we all know Cabs is going to be gone sooner rather than later. So surely the hierarchy know this is going to happen at the latest summer so you would think a ready made replacement in the form of cabella would be brought in before………..But then again its Nufc were talking about

• 39 Sazzer // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:39 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    Yes I know Jonas is gone and that we now can bring at least one player from anywhere in the world. Question was how many places we have left before he left. If we need players out of the door first to bring players in then maybe some deals need to be put on hold to get best deal.

• 40 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

WWSBRD

Exciting?

A sense of approaching disappointment?

Oh yes :D

• 41 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

TDS

Time of the month???

• 42 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Snazzier

I think we had at least one spot left. I think it’s more relevant that we sign players before we sell anyone. We’re now 1 squad player down.

• 43 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:44 PM

JB

Nope. But is it yours with that last comment? ;-)

• 44 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM

indykaila News ?@indykaila 31m
    Breaking Newcastle United transfer news coming up…….Positive one. #NUFC

• 45 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

TDS

Nah mate, just not getting my hope’s up……………….think I’ll wait till I see any new player holding up the shirt at SJP

• 46 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM

JB
    Don’t rise to him mate,For once Ruddy was right

• 47 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Himanshu Dhingra

The Sunday Sport is more reliable than that guy…………….if he said it was sunny outside I’d get my umbrella and wellie’s

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Guys I hate to say it but you are living on cloud nine ;)

…it is not going to happen!

BandB…are you sure Joke in ear is not an idiot? Has he been tested? ;) lol

• 49 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

jazzyp

what was Ruddy right about???

• 50 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

JB
    How he has a tendency to rub people up the wrong way

• 51 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

JB

Oh Come on! Now I have to believe demented Joe! let me be liberated

• 52 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

HD
    Have we bought in a new groundskeeper or kit man?
    Or is indy just regurgitating the rumours from 48 hrs ago like normal?

• 53 Goodfella // Jan 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

According to indi the bullshitter on twitter claims weve bid for gomis????

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

TDsarf,
    Your argument was that under our current regime players like Owen and Boumsong wouldn’t have been signed, I pointed out that players who were a success but cost afew quid wouldnt have been signed under the current regime,
    even less likely now that Cisse hasn’t
    turned into the profit he was supposed to that persuaded Mikey to part with big money in the first place.

• 55 Sazzer // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

If our owner wasn’t penny-pinching, then players in would be the only thing that mattered.

• 56 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:03 PM

jazzyp

i think its got to the point where he even rubs himself up the wrong way :D

• 57 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM

tads

This Go Miss rumour isn’t going away mate – will not be amused if he does come here

• 58 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

TADS/JB

Not good news anyways.

Frees/free in the summer/injured.

That’s what we sign.

• 59 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I’ll have you know that I know exactly what way to rub myself up…

And I can see where you’re coming from JB, but not many club have made moves yet. I’m not too concerned but it’s this waiting period that is frustrating…

• 60 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

jazzyp,

I can’t see where the funds for Cabella come from now. The club is skint. Ashley will never invest his money in it again. Both points stated in public, on the record, interviews.
    But neither Ashley, Kinnear or Pardew are stupid. I belive they are all, as Sherlock recently called himself, high-functioning sociopaths. There IS a plan. TDS is very clear-eyed about it. He is largely right. This is business, and just that. I see his perspective, and reject it.

Jesper,

The club is being fairly liberal with it’s clues as to where we are heading, but knows most will still sit it out regardless.
    The easiest thing in the world is to deceive those who trust you and want to put their hopes in you.
    A friend of mine was recently concerned that her husband was behaving on a very mysterious and evasive way.
    All the evidence seemed to point in one direction.
    So she confronted him.
    “Yes, I’m having an affair and I’m going to dump you soon,” he smiled.
    “Yeah, very funny,” she replied.

• 61 Toon1978 // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

JackButler

Not a fan of Gomis myself mate.

• 62 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM

When Kinnear comes out and say’s that our current squad is bigger and stronger then the one that got us 5th place plus when he brings up the tight financial restrictions we have…………………………..well, lets just say that I’m not hopeful of us doing anything this window other than a loan

• 63 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

JFA

But Colo has been a success, Cisse will break even at least. MYM has time, Santon is doing ok. It’s not just transfer fees anyway, other fees and wages are relevant.

My point was that we’re not going to make knee jerk decisions to sign players. Weren’t we talking about JFK saying that? I agree…even though it came off as defensive.

I reckon he’d sign Shearer in a heart beat at his peak.

We’re just not gong to rush a signing or overpay unless we’re desperate.

• 64 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Toon1978

He’s simply a younger version of Shola and has roughly the same goal to game ratio while playing in far less competitive league.

Really hope we look elsewhere

• 65 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Don’t understand how we say that we’re signing 4 players and then sign nobody. Daft plonkers.

• 66 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM

@TransferSources: PSG have not made an approach for Yann M’Vila as they hold out hope of striking a deal for Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye.[Le Parisien]

• 67 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM

BandB

That’s like rejecting evolution or capitalism. If you want old school football with old fashioned values, go support a non-league team. I’m not claiming it’s better this way, but I do understand it.

And I believe we do have money. For the right deal, we can make it available too, with an extra £30M coming in this summer. But we won’t rush.

• 68 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM

TDS

Knee jerk decisions???????????

The flaws in the squad have been there for so long no one can claim otherwise.

The truth is we are simply waiting for someone to appear at the bottom of the bargain bin

• 69 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

JB

Er…flaws? Every team has weaknesses, at the moment I’d say we just need a replacement for Ba. Shola just doesn’t present a goal threat.

• 70 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

TDS
    Do you not feel that we seriously need to address the Cf position now rather than leaving it till the summer when we could be down to one recognised forward in the name of Cisse.

• 71 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Logically, this empirical model doesn’t hold up. If all past events are an X and future events are a Y, one does not in any way entail the other.
    Science once agreed the world was flat.
    Capitalism is having its day. It is not a rule of immutable physics.
    So both your examples are highly presumptuous, and a bit thick.
    I was, after all, agreeing with you.

• 72 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

TDsarf,
    Colo was signed when Good ol’ Mikey said he was going to invest 20M a year before he decided he didn’t like Geordies after all.

• 73 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Jazzyp

Yes. I do think we need a replacement for Ba. As I said we did in the summer.

• 74 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

TDS

Yes flaw’s, Ba left a year ago, Shola should have left three years ago and Cisse had a mere last season……………………and the answer to all this was to bring in one player on loan, with no option to buy!!!

If Remy picks up an injury we are done for the season unless we invest this window, but as always Mr. Ashley likes a gamble

• 75 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

BandB

I understood your post to mean you agreed with me that PL football does need to be run like a business but you don’t like it. You said you “reject it”. Did I misunderstand?

• 76 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I agree with much of your analysis. I disagree with the conclusions you draw from it.
    This is an honourable difference of perspective, which I hope you will continue to enjoy debating.

• 77 Ashton // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Gomis is so shit. I feel embarrassed to be linked with him.

• 78 mattnufc // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM

@BandB
    “Evolution is based on the premise that because a thing has always happened before, it will keep on happening.
    Logically, this empirical model doesn’t hold up”

Your argument entails that nothing based on evidence, essentially science, ‘holds up’. What did you mean by this? :)

• 79 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM

JFA

I’ve never quite got to the bottom of that £20M thing…was that to be an annual gift or just subsidies to cover losses. I understood it to be the former at the time, which was great!

Then he failed to get a proper football advisor in, hired KK, brought someone in over his head, lost KK, hired a homeless bum he met in London, then tried a 2nd egotistical legend because he hadn’t learned his lesson the first time…

Yeah…it looked good for a few months!

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

TDsarf,
    The way use the word ‘we’ when defending our spendthrift policies sounds rather suspicious !

• 81 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Matt,

I am saying that, in the end, science also relies on the leap of faith that X and Y are the same.
    Empirical science is a faith. Faith in the model. It based on sound, tested, and fallible “common sense.”

• 82 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

The five year plan is now in it’s seventh year and our aim is to finish inside the top TEN

You’ve gotta laugh at this lot of incompetent fools haven’t you

• 83 clinath@ed // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:36 PM

BandB….you should write a book….you’re wasted on here. Honestly.

• 84 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:36 PM

JB

Cisse may come good again. I’d be fine if we replace him but I’d prefer to replace Shola.

We don’t have major flaws but a strong striker is the main priority surely.

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:36 PM

BandB…and the moral of that story was?

…I am not going the give neither the club nor Joke that much credit that they actually have a plan! I hope your are going that far?

• 86 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I have rit a book. I have rit a lot. But this is better. Honest, it is.

• 87 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM

TDS

We do have major flaw’s up front as Cisse is a shadow of the player we signed, Shola is washed up and has been for years so we are now reliant on a player who is at the club on loan……………..if thats not a flaw then I don’t know what is.

Dress it up however you like buy Ashley has yet again gambled with us.

• 88 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM

BandB
    Your not stoned by any chance are ya mate lol

• 89 clinath@ed // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM

What was it you writed?

• 90 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM

BandB

Of course!

My conclusions are really that football has changed and MA has certain ways that he will run every one of his businesses that are immovable.

There are some big things we won’t be able to change while he’s owner, but there are smaller things we could affect.

• 91 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM

File this pic as it always makes me smile when things are looking gloomy at SJP

• 92 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM

JFA

Yeah…I’m JFK in disguise…

• 93 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM

JB

But every club is shy of a player or two! Man Utd should have signed a creative midfielder, Chelsea could really do with a top striker.

It’s not gambling, it’s being very calculated about what the club are willing to pay. Bony for £12M? Is he worth that?

• 94 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM

We have two weeks to sign players…do we feel lucky? Anyone? ;)

• 95 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM

jazzyp

Yes, I must be.That would explain it.
    I like posting because almost all written words and media you ever see come from middle-class people with safe middle-class assumptions.
    On the internet, the public is not the hoi-polloi. It is not the Great Unwashed. It is free, for a while.
    So, I am enjoying that while it still exists.

• 96 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Good to have you back BandB

• 97 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM

TDS

It is gambling when you are relying on one loan player to get you the goals you need as everyone knew that both Cisse and Shola were not going to do anything. So we are effectively left with one striker who’s here on loan.

Is Bony worth 12 million, well seeing’s as he’s scored more goals than both Shola and Cisse combined and has only had a bit part role in his first half of the season in the EPL also seeing’s as his career record is far superior to any of our current strikers…………………..then yes he was worth that amount

• 98 martoon // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I’m no Ashley lover but I think comments about all the money going to buy Debenhams shares etc. is wide of the mark. It is SD who have bought the shares and Mike Ashley who personally owns NUFC. Although he owns a large chunk of SD his money is separate to SD’s

• 99 clinath@ed // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:51 PM

BandB….why are you in a bad mood tonight?

• 100 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM

BandB
    Then carry on my friend and long may you continue

• 101 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Tds
    That’s a hard one to call on bony,His stats would suggest yes in the first half of the season.But so did Cisse’s first half a season with us,But not so much now.
    If was true We were offered £9 mill then I don’t for the life of me understand why we did not take it and put the money to better use in strengthening the squad

• 102 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 9:59 PM

JB

We’ve got Remy, Cisse, Goofy and Shola. I don’t care if Remy is on loan or not when I’m thinking of this season.

I’m certain that many fans thought Cisse would still score plenty and hopefully he still can get a few. Shola should have chipped in with a few too.

It’s just not that bad really, we just need that striker that we didn’t sign in the summer.

• 103 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Clinath,

I don’t FEEL in a bad mood. I promised myself recently that nothing was worth being in a bad mood about.

I was driving up the Spine Road in Northumberland recently, in the dark.
    A car overtook me, and the man in the passenger seat looked at me and made a rocking motion near his shoulder with his cocked wrist and half-closed fist.
    I knew what he was saying, and gave him the finger.
    A blue light came on.
    Having been stopped, I leapt out of my car.
    “What are YOU, a POLICEMAN, making that rude gesture at ME for.”
    “You need to put your seatbelt on, love.”

• 104 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Jazzyp

I’d rather have Cisse on the bench than £9M in the bank.

• 105 clinath@ed // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM

You need to understand the other persons perspective before you can comprehend their message….

• 106 John Tudor // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM

so u are ashley coz thats where the 9m will go

• 107 JackButler // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM

TDS

It is that bad as one injury and we are basically screwed as i doubt a single fan out there would want to go till the end of the season with Cisse, Shola or gouffran as our main strikers

• 108 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM

JB

I don’t think it’s as extreme as all that, but really you’re preaching to the converted there. I said in the summer that we were a striker short and that’s even more serious now Cisse has stopped scoring. Thankfully Goofy and Cabaye have got a few.

• 109 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Jail,

Thank you. It is good to see you have managed to keep abreast while goofing off in China.

Your faithful hound (sic)

Bea

• 110 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Tds
    I would love nothing more than for Cisse to find his goal scoring boots again But alas I don’t see that happening.
    What I asked was do you not think it would be wise to cash in on a out of sorts forward who tried to manoeuvre a move away in the summer, and reinvest in strengthening the squad by replacing him with someone who gives a damn about Nufc

• 111 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Jazzyp

I’m not convinced Cisse tried to leave last summer for starters. Replacing Cisse is one thing but that would leave us needing 2 strikers this window. I’m not sure I see that happening.

If we get 2 strikers in then I’ll drive him to the airport myself…

• 112 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Tds
    Agree with that one mate.A forward is a must I feel as we are going to be woefully short come summer if we cannot tie down remy, Which personally I do not see happening

• 113 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM

JB
    You still about mate.Going for a week biking through Snowdonia. Wandered if you could shed any light on the place as its in your neck of the woods “so to speak”

• 114 jimmysmith // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM

That 5 year plan idea was always still on as far as I can tell, only in reality it will be an 8 to ten year plan that or may not bear fruit, which has always been the case.

The original plan didn’t take into consideration getting into Europe so quickly and also, that if we did, the players too would be ahead of schedule and would want to stay there, and that quite naturally some key players might be unhappy and want to leave if we didn’t forge ahead.

They will have to be replaced now before we are where we had hoped to be – not part of the plan. As will certain players simply because of age, again before we are where we hoped to be.

Perhaps it’s safer to say the first five year plan failed to achieve its lofty goals, and now we are still in the early – mid stages of a second bash at it. Itself not in any way guaranteed to be any more successful than the first.

• 115 JP...from The Rock // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Please just sign any decent player and get rid of Strolla Ameobi and Obertan pleassssseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

We’re halfway through January already! I remember Pardew saying before the window that we we’re well prepared to make bids early in the window, now look at us, still talking and no action ffs!

• 116 John Tudor // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM

spin and bull turds

• 117 John Tudor // Jan 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM

kinnears trying to sign makaton

• 118 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM

It’s going to be a long month for some of you ;)

• 119 Graeme // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I doubt Kinnear woulkd be allowed to sign as much as a time sheet to be honest!!!!

• 120 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Graeme…Joke is only here to give us fans the illusion that the club are looking to sign players ;)

• 121 Graeme // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Jesper – just the usual 31 days mate, except each one will seem like 36 hours!!

• 122 Graeme // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Jesper, if Joke is the answer – then the question should have gone out to tender, in advance!!

• 123 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Yes, but for those who actually think we will sign any players this month it’s going to be a very long month ;)

• 124 Graeme // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Jesper – Until 23;59;59 on 31th January – there are some of us who will always hang on to the last glimmer of hope, that someone inside Sid James’ will see the light!!

I even got my ticket for the scum game this afternoon – on the basis that not even Pardew could lose FOUR in a row. But, if he did, would he have the integrity to fall on his sword and resign??? Somehow, I very much doubt it!!

• 125 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Graeme…Pardew will never resign (he is getting paid and will continue to setup his team to fit his pattern until someone gets tired of him and says enough!)

…I admire your faith or should I say belief ;) that ship has sailed for me sadly…although anything can happen in football as they (…or at Newcastle)

• 126 jimmysmith // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I tend to think they might be wanting to shift a couple more out before bringing one or two in, and I think they don’t want to mess around around with the Europa league.

But all in all, if the deals are there to be had, on their terms, I think they’ll do them regardless.

But yeah, no signings is most definitely on the cards.

• 127 MadisonToon // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I’m thinking we’ll replace what we send out. Maybe that’s just me being optimistic, but I think we’ll end up with as many first team players at the end of January as we had at the beginning. I’m hoping Ashley is unlikely to leave us weaker at the end of the window so hopefully we’ll replace Jonas with someone more useful (Ince would be great, but that’s probably too wishful).

• 128 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I said there wouldn’t be any signings but there has to be, Remy and Shola off in the summer, surely they wouldnt………

• 129 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM

J4A…of course they could and of course they could ;) (but then again I suppose they could easily foul us and sign a couple of players ;) )

• 130 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM

* could = would

• 131 MadisonToon // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM

The only way I can see us not having any signings is if Ashley is planning on poaching a good player off of a team that isn’t giving him the time he thinks he deserves – maybe Lukaku or Chicharito or Guidetti. We would then be able to say, “Look, we have no star forward and nobody who is even close to that position. You could come in here and be our main striker and be the first name on the team sheet at a team that *could* challenge for Europe.” Maybe not the best sell, but it might be able to pull someone who is a big name from a club that aren’t catering to his demands.

Not that I think that would work or would be a good idea, but that’s the best I can come up with if we don’t sign anyone before the summer. But please, world, don’t let that happen!

• 132 jimmysmith // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Tiote is another one. He will attract attention in the off season from elite clubs if he maintains this form.

And he’s already been fed a line or two by the club, who surely can’t continue to hold onto its better players unless it actually is seen to be consolidating and progressing.

Tiote was calling for reinforcements, openly to a global audience, while the last transfer window was still open. Since when we’ve only got Remy in on loan and sent out Jonas.

• 133 Jail for Ashley // Jan 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Madison,
    The apologists will say Jonas wasn’t getting a game so doesn’t need replacing, we’re ok for strikers as we have Remy, Shola, Cisse and Gouff, Well one hasn’t scored in over a year and can’t last 90 minutes, one of them has scored once from the penalty spot all season in the Prem and the best of them has scored twice in ten games and is either going to jail or a bigger pay packet, sort it aut Jo.

• 134 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Madison,
    You mean somebody who isn’t consistently good enough to nail down a regular spot.

• 135 Graeme // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Jail, we have been waiting for Bambi to be replaced, for what? 4 years? 5 Years? When were his last 5 Prem League goals scored??
    I can understand the reluctance to sign Loic with the court case outstanding; that could be a good thing.

The equation becomes simple – do we bring in their replacements when we need them? ie NOW. Or do we roll the dice again?

Given our league position, I would say he will roll the dice.

We wont go down, what we have will get another 7 – 10 points without fail. We may not meet the bonus target though and wouldn’t that be a bummer for the Illustrious Owner, not having to pay out on the bonus scheme. Could you imagine it eh!!!!

• 136 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM

70TWO, from earlier on today, good work with the stats. It is very noticeable, as other posters like myself mention, that we base a lot of our goals on pot shots from well behind the 18 yard box or get fortunate with opposition mistakes. It’s visible for all to see.

We can win possession in the middle third and look busy all game long with 10 men behind the ball, but without having a constant flurry of calculated chances IN the opposition penalty area, we are just making it harder for our forward players to score. Goal drought for Cisse and Remy. Shola hasn’t been scoring, but nothing new there.

A lot of Remy’s goals have been created out of nothing either from rebounds or individual skill. Very little have been laid on a plate through good teamwork which should be the ultimate focus of any team.

It is a reoccurring theme within the chancer football which we play, unfortunately.

When playing containing football, you are actually not developing your attacking cohesion via repetition, as you aren’t doing it, so are substandard over time. When it comes to needing intricate passes and movement, it’s even harder to come by because they don’t generally play it.

I’ve said it before, but if you can dramatically increase functionality offensively, you are in fact doing the same defensively. If, like Pardew, you try to increase functionality by numbers behind the ball, it does not automatically make you good at attacking. You will be left with creative scraps and ‘nearly’ moments, low goal difference and generally poor creativity in the final third.

Playing a defensive midfielder as a winger is a fail from the start. Do you wonder why his crosses go out of play? For Pardew, Sissoko is a hopeful ‘maybe’ when it comes to attacking, yet he’s in largely to to take up an attacking place by someone who can track back and defend. (I like Sissoko, and he can transport the ball, not be relied upon to do something at the end of it.)

I want to see the players coached in a manner which suits their maximum ability. What we see now is far from that.

It’s like pedalling your pushbike with your brakes on. Hang on, I’ve got 24 gears here, but I’m only going 6 mph… that’ll be the performance ‘container’ which is being depressed near the knuckles.

• 137 MadisonToon // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM

jfa

Yeah the apologists can say what they want, no need to bother with them.

I think there are certainly players who are out there that could do well in our team that aren’t doing well in their own. Just like there are players in our squad who would do well elsewhere (e.g. Cisse). Maybe that’s the angle Ashley’s going for – to take a different team’s Cisse and make him our player? Bah, who knows.

• 138 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Graeme,
    On the bonus, if a gaffer came along to eleven lads and said get ten lights done each and then get yourselves away then dropped one pair of stepladders off, he’d be lynched.

• 139 Graeme // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Jail, yep, dont we know it. But is the Illustrious Owner even remotely interested? I have never heard FCB talk about a Bonus Scheme, only Joking Ear – maybe he’s expendable!!

It still doesnt give us what we need though!!

• 140 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:15 AM

On topic slightly -somebody recently was querying how Obertan arrived at SJP – Carr had declared it had nothing to do with him and that the signing was purely through the efforts of Percy. Manged to find a couple of quotes from Percy:-
    Pardew added: “I contacted Sir Alex Ferguson [Manchester United manager] about him early at the start of the summer to see if there was an opportunity to bring him to Newcastle but it wasn’t until Wayne Routledge joined Swansea that we were able to bring him in.
    “His best years are ahead of him which is exactly what we want at this club, and with the backing of our magnificent fans I’m sure he will prove an excellent signing for us.”
    From BBC site:-

• 141 jimmysmith // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Jonas’ legs went, he lost that yard of pace, when pace was never his greatest asset, that’s the only reason he’s not still starring for us. Sad, but that’s life.

He was a great credit to Newcastle and one of my favorite all time players, for his contribution on and off the pitch. Farewell.

• 142 70TWO // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Laurent Robert 32

Unfortunately I keep coming back to “I wonder what they do all week in training”, as you say there is no fluidity in attack.

You also made me think, why do we never see Anita in for Sissoko on the wing? He is similarly defensive and probably a better passer of the ball. Probably because Sissoko adds to the height of the team at set plays, not that I have seen him head anything.

• 143 70TWO // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Would appear that there is more than one player to scout at Leicester:

• 144 John Tudor // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM

they eyed him up 3/4 years ago

• 145 jimmysmith // Jan 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Sissoko goes past players with pace and power and attacks the goal, as well as dropping in behind the ball when the opposition has possession and then pressing as part of a defensive unit.

It’s not difficult to see why Pardew rates him highly.

• 146 sir_norman // Jan 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM

had a strange dream, in it Alan Pardew was sacked and replaced by Howard Kendall. Weird.

• 147 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2014 at 6:39 AM

I had s dream as well and in it Pardew proclaimed he would stop with the pattern nonsense and play our maverick :)

• 148 Ben3arfa // Jan 15, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Only a retard like Kinnear would reject a bid of £9 million for a clearly sh1te player like Cisse whilst refusing to negotiate agent fees for Gomis .

Shamble of a football club

• 149 catchy in norway // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM

LR32

very very good post,

you nailed it,

why most can not see it is beyond me, maybe they see a busy MF with lots of shots from distance,
    checking the stats makes you think we are doing better than we are,

but for intelligent like yourself who understand how the game could and should be played, it is easy to see, our players can do so much more,,

BUT as JFA rightly points out, the problem lies above pardew, he is only a puppet, just to bad some don’t see it

• 150 sparky55 // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM

i’m gonna ask a really stupid question here…where would we play once and who gets dropped

• 151 sparky55 // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM

ince

• 152 sparky55 // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:49 AM

looked a stupid question as well :-)

• 153 catchy in norway // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:49 AM

this is a fact

I thought we were the better team v man c

BUT

they had 6 shots on target leading to 2 goals , all from in the box

we had 5 shots on target, only 2 from in the box

most off our good effort is being wasted,

as fans we end up going home thinking wow did you see that shot,
    not wow did you see that goal

• 154 catchy in norway // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM

sparky

play him in his best position,

ahead off goofy I would say

• 155 sparky55 // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM

wide left? that’s not where blackpool play him

so 4-4-2 and he plays wide of Remy?

Problem there is can he defend and would we buying another HBA?

pardew wants 10 defenders

• 156 Transfer Sage // Jan 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM

catchy

shot’s from distance is something i have complained about over the past 2/3 years.

i posted a stat last year which showed we had either the fewest or second fewest shots from inside the six year box and the second most from outside the box (not in total numbers, in % of total shots)

• 157 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Just listening to the Soton owner ( who might be leaving) talk about his plans for top six, how did we end up with our portly excuse for an owner.

• 158 Transfer Sage // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Jail

but ashley saved us from going out of business, if it wasn’t for him we would only have gateshead to support…oh no wait that was his spin

even pompey with their huge debt haven’t gone out of business, despite the claims they make

• 159 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:34 AM

TS,
    Although it was great business bringing in the five players, if we are talking calendar years we actually released or sold six first team players, this year so far we have released one, we mighf have on paper the most talented squad since SBR, but we certainly haven’t got the strongest, with the threadbare squad we have we can’t keep releasing more players than we bring in.

• 160 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Thanks, Catchy.

Yes, as Jail advocates, Pardew is only a symptom of Ashley. He is the real problem by accepting limited ability for a manager and limited funds. I’m fully aware of this root issue.

Although in the meantime, a progressive manager could be installed faster than it would take someone to come in and buy the club. Under Ashley however, it’s not so fast, because he wants survival at minimum outlay (for advertising) rather than ambition of the club.

Sage, yes I saw your stats about lack of creativity within the box. Good work.

• 161 stan anderson // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Just had a call from JFK asking if i fancy coming out of retirement.Told him i would rather turn out for the SCUM than him and his master.

• 162 Transfer Sage // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM

jail

it really annoys me, for kinnear to say things like “its a stronger squad then when we came 5th”…well whats that got to do with anything?

other teams have kicked on and we need to continue to improve.

• 163 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Thing about the stats from inside/outside of the box is that they are there just to confirm what many of us already see, rather than manipulating something to fit an argument.

I’ve said it before, but Andy Cole would be on a goal drought right now playing under Pardew, because there is no regular service for him and he very rarely scored outside of the box.

Andy (Andrew) scored 43 goals I think it was, in a season.

Cisse has scored goals everywhere he’s been yet only now he looks poor. If I don’t feed the cat/dog enough, they will starve, much like service in front of goal.

People may ask why Cisse looks poor, thinking it is his fault, but largely, in my opinion, it’s not. The same reason why the cat/dog is lethargic and weak through like of food. They can’t do what they should be doing unless they have the correct bodily fuel. Much like Cisse’s regular quality service.

Being offside isn’t great at all, but he still got regular goals like that at his other clubs. If you watch him, he makes very good runs, but with our defensive football, the Marveaux intricate pass isn’t there for him, because we have a lot of our players back and have a defensive midfielder playing as a winger. We don’t know how to approach the final third properly. The whole essence of playing football – to score goals.

That is simply a lack of coaching and understanding of offensive football.

previous post: Players Are World-Class – But We Caused Them Problems