The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Players Are World-Class – But We Caused Them Problems

3:53 pm, Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

Steven Taylor got only his second start of the season in the league on Sunday, when he lined up for the second time this season, against a club that had spent more than £1B on their players since owner Sheikh Mansour rule Abu Dhabi bought the club back in August of 2008.

Rangers v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Steven Taylor – had a solid game on Sunday

They are truly the best team that money can buy, and we dare say that a small club like Scunthorpe United – just as an example – would also be in the top four of the Premier League if they had spent £1B on players over the last five and a half years.

Certainly Newcastle United would be.

Steven had a decent enough game on Sunday afternoon in what was a gutsy performance from the lads, , and Newcastle were so unlucky to take nothing out of the game, after we went after City following a 20 minute hammering in the first 20 minutes of the game, when we had gone 1-0 down to a good Dzeko goal.

This is what Steven has said in the local papers today:

“It felt great to be back.” “It was my first league game since Man City away in the first game of the season.” “The lads were brilliant, and I’ve got to thank the fans as well for their support.”

“They were magnificent towards me. I want to say a massive thank you to them – they’ve kept me going.”  “Obviously, I just want to be playing, and it felt great to be out there again.”

“I just want to help the team finish as high up the table as possible.” “We felt we could have won the game,” “I can’t remember us having that many chances against Manchester City.”

“They’ve got world-class players, but we got right into them and caused them problems.  “I couldn’t see anything wrong with Cheick’s strike. It was a fantastic strike – similar to the Arsenal goal.”

“Joe Hart’s definitely seen the shot.” “Gouff hasn’t obstructed him – so I couldn’t see what the problem was. Gouff said at half-time he was nowhere near Joe Hart.”

“There was a bit of frustration, but we made a right go of it. We were pushing at the end, but it wasn’t to be. The lads were devastated.”  “But the fans were unbelievable. They roared us on non-stop. The atmosphere was tremendous.”

And we’ll have to forget all about Cheick’s disallowed goal and the fact we were a little unlucky not to get a draw, but next up is a game at West Ham United, and we must play with the same intensity we showed against City.

If we play like we did on Sunday we will beat West Ham, and if we play like we did in the previous game against Cardiff City, we’ll lose our next game at Upton Park.

It’s really as simple as that.

Note: Danny Gordon is one of our readers and he’s doing a survey as part of his  final year in Mechanical Engineering at Northumbria University – please help Danny by taking the survey on renewable energy – here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Steven Taylor

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I suspect Fat Sams tactics will be the usual predictable nonsense, so that should be 3 points to us at the weekend…. however, this is Newcastle, and these things do have a habit of biting back at us.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

G

They will also be without the suspended Tompkins too but they have Carroll back who looks well up for it and possibly lasana traore in too.

Might not be too easy to get the points.

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

G….as long as we take the game to them and try to do what we do best and not bring any of the defensive nonsense!

…I think we will be fine then (but nothing should be taken for granted in football though)

• 4 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

G

that is a very good point, Bergkamp had 2 very poor seasons in Italy, but undoubtedly he was a top class player, one of the best to ever play in the Premier league, some leagues just don’t suit certain players, Serie A didn’t suit Bergkamp, perhaps the Bundisleague is the league which doesn’t suit de Jong, like Bergkamp he could put that behind him and flourish in the Prem, if Gladbach are prepared to take a sizeable loss as they should based on his record with them, then I do feel that it would be worth taking the chance on him, a £13m player from the Dutch league getting the same results in the Prem is worth twice the price, from his Twente days he was worth at least the £13m, if we could get him for about £8/9 which is what were likely to get from Cisse, then for me we can’t really lose, and if he does settle as Bergkamp did then ?

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

TS…I gotta say that article you showed me today has really made an impression mate ;)

…it’s food for thought!

• 6 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Another thing worth mentioning, is our recent record in London has improved significantly. Once upon a time I wouldn’t fancy us to take more than a point in the capital, however, right about now, our players are due a result, and after Sundays debacle, I think WHU are going to be on the receiving end of a thrashing.

• 7 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM

TS, I have it on (fairly?) good authority, that Andy Carrol finds it impossible to stay out of the boozer on a Saturday night, so on Sunday, he probably wont be that up for it. Besides, he is far from a 100% fit anyway, so I recon big MW will keep him in his pocket.

• 8 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

bergkamp? what abt thiery

• 9 Transfer Sage // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

G

Not saying you are wrong as I’m just going off one journo here but on sky a journo said Carroll has turned himself around since the injury and is in the shape of his life and trains so hard now.

Could still go to the boozer I guess though.

• 10 Goodfella // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Sports direct spending more money. Must be nice >:-(

• 11 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM

TS, to be fair to your source, the bloke who told me is a scouser who lives in London, who still feels quite bitter and twisted about AC’s time at Anfield. Hence the brackets etc.

• 12 pottsclock // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM

And a stake in Debenhams

• 13 Patoon // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

whats the talk on the previous thread about Ibrahimavic

• 14 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

G

we all know about Carrolls like for a pint or 2, I have witnessed it for myself, not drinking with him but just last May, the season had just finished and I had just finished work at 7am ( i work nightshift) and AC with his leg in a brace was in McDonalds after an all night session, not a bonny sight, but just last month I heard rumours that the reason Carroll was so late in getting back from injury was not because of the injury but because he was in rehab for alcohol abuse, personally I feel this is rubbish as I saw for myself the brace he was wearing, but has anyone else heard about an alledged cover-up for his rumoured alcohol abuse.

• 15 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Odds on to be NUFC’s money

• 16 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Patoon

it was a wind-up m8.

• 17 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM

spoof, I’ve heard those rumours too, and although what TS says above is more than plausible, I don’t think AC has the strength of charecter to turn his life around so soon. I spoke to his ex Faye a while back, who has two kids to him, and she also insists one of the reasons he doesn’t bother with his kids too much is his liking for his nightlife. She’s another one with fair bit or resentment for him though.

• 18 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM

G

the rumour came to me from a golf club in County Durham (Beamish), could it be from the same source or does yours come from a totally different area, if its different then there could be something in it.

• 19 G // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Scouse Danny in London is my main source, but a few old army mates who support WHU also reckon he’s still loving the big smoke nightlife too much. The stuff from AC’s ex is a direct quote though. Tend to see her drinking around Ponteland quite a lot these days. I believe she recently moved up there into AC’s old house.

• 20 JAMSHA // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse is understood to
    have been sounded out about playing in the
    ambitious new Indian Super League, which is
    due to launch in September.

lol hopes he joins.. we could get 20mil for sure

• 21 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

oh dear, it doesn’t sound too good for him, but all it takes is 1 army m8 to tell a different m8 who happens to come from Beamish or the surrounding area and then it is accepted by all to be true, I still don’t believe that it is true, but I do believe that with his lifestyle that it is inevitable, as it was with Gazza, as for his ex, well you can’t argue with that, all you can say is well done to her for getting out of it, the sad thing is, what a potential waste of talent, for the half season he had as our main striker in the Prem he was unplayable.

• 22 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM

AC certainly has the look of someone who has just emerged from a cave on a desert island with his basketball friend Wilson under his arm.

• 23 eplforecast // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

ZLATAN IBRA is being linked to NUFC on SKY!

Come on CASHley!!!

• 24 wolfshead@toon // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

tayls enjoys a half time pint in the changing room carroll is a lightweight :-)

• 25 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Will you just shut it with that WUM rubbish eplforeskast! Get some right stray numb nuts on here sometimes.

• 26 Rotonda heights // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Could have sworn saylor let Dzeko go for the first goal. if only saylor was as good as he thinks he is.

• 27 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

wolf

if tayls enjoys a half time pint and Carroll is a lightweight, then how come Carroll sparked Taylor lol

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

shame tomkins isn’t playing!

• 29 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Yeah Saylor had a very dodgy first 20 imo. Thankfully he picked up well and won more headers than their cb’s combined. Also drove play forward from deep which contributed loads to our attacking impetus. Only Willo seemed to switch on from the start, particularly liked him stepping in when two of our players were dithering over a ball and getting it the hell out :)

• 30 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Rotunda

Gouff let the runner get past him for the first goal, the second came due to us trying to get back into the game, defensively we were ok, I will be glad when Debuchy is back, but even without Debuchy we were much better than what we ever are when Colo is in the side, that cannot really be debated now can it, Colo is defo the weak link for us.

• 31 Rotonda heights // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I can’t see the point in keeping colo as his head just isn’t here any more

• 32 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I agree, Colo’s head is gone, but at least is was there at some point which we can’t say about his bravery, heading ability or his speed, he has never had any of those, undoubtedly he has always been very poor, and unquestionably he is the most over rated player we have ever had.

• 33 Norlinsen // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Great video of Guti

• 34 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Normally Colo is the strong point of our defence and it’s been correct for him to be built around, however I have to agree he is already on the plane home in his head now. Jonas and him are best pals, and with him gone it’s a lonely place in Chateauneuf-sur-Tyne now.

Cue the Tiotenator, a reformed pugilist and new captain!

• 35 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Although spoofs overdoing it.

• 36 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

We will have to break the trend of going all out against the top teams then turning up half asleep against the lower half outfits. I hope we face the Fat Man’s awful mob with the fire we showed against Citeh, We would murder them if we did.

• 37 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Tsunki

am I really overdoing it, for years I was always fighting with the majority who believed him too be good, but I always mentioned about his lack of bravery, being too slow and being weak in the air, I have been preaching on about it for years m8, but only now that Colo has made ir clear that he wants out has the populous decided to judge him on performance rather than reputation and they are now seeing what I have seen for years, he is a poor defender, if we are dominant and a class above our opponents then he is majestic at bringing the ball out and turning it into attack, but a defender should be judged by his defending and he has always been shocking.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM

got to agree with Spoof. Colo’s distribution is very very good, however his defensive abilities are lacking.

• 39 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

and while I’m at it, Remy is not worth anything more than £10m, forget current form he is better than that, he is currently in the wrong role, he will never be a loan striker, he will always be best at coming in from the left/right, preferably the left, that is how it was earlier in the season when Shola was in the centre, think back to finishing fifth, Ba was where Remy was on fire, bring back Ba in the middle with Remy to his left then £10m would be acceptable for Remy, but know more than that, to pay more than that then you have to have a good first touch, Remy’s is average at best, but I would like us to sign him, if we had a number nine alongside him.

• 40 mag // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM

So what happened against the mighty Cardiff City in the FA cup Saylor?

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:53 PM

a bit of good news – Shane Long is going to Hull. This should finally end those bloggers posts about us signing him.

• 42 Graeme // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Hey, you think we as fans are accused of being OTT – read this lol

What can you say!!

• 43 mag // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

As Jonas has gone hopefully a few more dead weights will follow him out of the club, starting with Coloccini, Shola, Obertan, Marveuax, Elliot and Gosling.

• 44 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Mister tuff

I’m not sure if that is good news, Shane Long is for me very underated, he is quick and he is strong enough to hold the ball up, he is what we need, I would rather have him than Cisse, and now that Pardew seems happier with a 4-5-1 for the lone striker I would prefer Long to Remy as Remy is not a lone striker type, he needs someone to feed off.

• 45 Mister Tuff // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Spoof – i’m not saying he is a bad player- I’ve posted previously that he is an honest, hardworking player. There have been occasions without doubt that he would have been able to contribute to our team but as a long term fix at SJP -I do not think he was the answer -or put it another way there are better/more consistent players than him. Whether we would buy them is another matter.

• 46 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Mister Tuff

indeed there may be and there are better players to go for rather than Shane Long, but without trying to sound like a broken record, we as fans have got to forget about our ambitions and our desires, what we have to do is look at how we can improve by spending less than what we sell, selling Cisse and buying Long/ de Jong comes into that category, its easy to say buy him, him and him, but making suggestions which come under Mike’s remit is a tad harder to do.

• 47 OhSholaAmeobi // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I think i’d do better than De Jong to be honest, i’m a lethal finisher at 5-a-side.
    Seriously though, I know we’re desperate for a striker, but he had 1 good season in the dutch league and then Monchengladbach paid silly money for him and he couldn’t repeat the feat. There’s no point in buying a misfiring striker in January, should be buying one who’s had a prolific season. He doesn’t actually look like something particularly special.

• 48 Mister Tuff // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM

spoof – I get a distinct feeling that we are going to sort out our shortcomings – by the cheapest means possible -either bargain basement purchases or loan signings. I however think that a loan of Luuk de Jong -for six months up to the World Cup -might be satisfactory -purely on the basis that there are now question marks as to whether he can make that step up to playing in better leagues. Danger of course would be that if he did do well -his price would rise -then we would not be interested and the shortcomings return.

• 49 Tsunki // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Spoof & Mr T – sorry but thats hilarious how you’ve glossed over his NUFC career as someone who got under the wire as a crap defender.

• 50 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I wondered what people have been saying about Williamson? I see he is no longer automatically top of the dead wood pile. I admire him now, for sticking at it and showing he at least has a Premiership heart. I like the way he now steps up 15 yards and intercepts that long ball before it gets into the box. We weren’t doing that before. And it was noticeable that he and Taylor were really making an effort on Sunday to join in the attacks. My little shout out for Mike. Well deserved.

• 51 Mister Tuff // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Tsunki – fail to see how saying that Colo’s distribution is very very good and that his defending is lacking -miraculously is translated into being hilarious, and got under the wire as a crap defender.
    Now to me that’s hilarious.

• 52 bills-son // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I thought Willo looked a very good player on Sunday.

If we had signed him for £5M at the start of his good run we’d all be saying he was a bargain.

• 53 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Tsunki

give me one stand out game where Colo’s defending saved us, you can’t because he hasn’t, he has only ever been lorded when we have dominated, never when defending miraculously for us, I find it hilarious that people can be so blind and continually fail to see such an obvious fact, not fiction m8, fact, you look for it, Colo’s miraculous defending saves Newcastle, it doesn’t exist.

• 54 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Like a new signing, in fact. And actually worth the tag.

• 55 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Senor Tuff…that would just be nice:)

• 56 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Have to take my hat off to Willo. He has been very good for a long while now. He lacks pace but his height and anticipation have been very noticeable. His passing seems to have improved as well. I thought he was poor in his first couple of seasons with us but he has changed my mind in a big way.

• 57 Rake // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Debenhams will be like a new signing….

• 58 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Willo has a good chance of making the England world cup squad this summer.

• 59 Rake // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Nice to see Willo is getting the deserved plaudits. He’s a BIG F***ING WILLO … hahaa

• 60 Spoof // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

The only reason we are more appreciate of Willo is due to the fact that when he came back into the side he was alongside Mbiwa, Mbiwa covered Willo’s weaknesses just as Willo covered Mbiwa’s weaknesses, it’s called a partnership, alongside Colo Willo is as poor as what Mbiwa is when he is alongside Colo, it’s not rocket science, everyone is poor when Colo is their partner.

• 61 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Debenhams?

Can’t afford to buy all of it, and wouldn’t want to.
    But can get a profitable franchise on it.
    Do you see a pattern emerging?

• 62 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM

A lot of you have been asking what the manly man’s position on back hair should be. Very difficult question, harrumph. Now, in general hair is good on a man. Very manly. But back hair is like nose hair. It must be kept under control. Tight control. We might have a couple of products to help with this. Now available: the manly man back hair mirror with telescopic flex handle and in addition the manly man back shears and razor combo (also with 3 foot flex handles). All items 7 euros each. Beautiful.

• 63 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM

G2

Have a back, sac, and craic. On me. I hope it hurts.
    Stick the collected harvest of your surfeit of testerone on your baldy head.
    I’ll pay for that too.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Well ta BandB. I didn’t know you cared. :)

• 65 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I’m not sure I like the idea of tufties on my already generously endowed bonce however. Do you need any?

• 66 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I realize I missed the “toss” out of testosterone. Can I leave that to you?

• 67 wolfshead@toon // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM

geordie

i kept the tash and soul patch i grew for movember i feel manly 24/7 :-)

• 68 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I’m not sure BandB. I’ll consider it carefully. Are you back on the hormone replacement therapy again by the way? You do sound a bit grumpy these days. :(

• 69 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Spot on wolfie @67. A truly noble cause. We’re big supporters of cancer research in my family. Having spent many years working in the field I know how difficult and demanding the work is.

• 70 GeordieTwo // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM

The Manly Man view of soul patches? Beautiful.

• 71 jazzyp // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

BandB
    I think willo has proven a lot of people wrong this season,And i’ll glady admit to being one of them.But is that because of what we have in terms of a centre back ??.For me Colo looks like he wants to be elsewhere,Saylor although I thought he had a good game sunday is not a player to build a team around which just leaves Mapou

• 72 BandB // Jan 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM

jazzyp,

I was wrong about Williamson too. I don’t recall if I ever outright slagged him, because players can prove you wrong.
    But I harboured ill-will towards him, for which I am happy to apologize.
    Mapou looks like a confident ball-player to me. I hope he will be encouraged to supplement that with growing positional sense (he is a bairn in defender terms) rather that have someone interfere with his game.
    Someone suggested earlier that Taylor has a half-time pint. I think it is Sunny Delight he is drinking, as he always seems hyper. His eyes are nuts. He needs to channel his urge to do well.

previous post: 68% Of Fans Think Newcastle Should Sign This Striker