Players Are World-Class – But We Caused Them Problems

Steven Taylor got only his second start of the season in the league on Sunday, when he lined up for the second time this season, against a club that had spent more than £1B on their players since owner Sheikh Mansour rule Abu Dhabi bought the club back in August of 2008.

Rangers v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Steven Taylor – had a solid game on Sunday

They are truly the best team that money can buy, and we dare say that a small club like Scunthorpe United – just as an example – would also be in the top four of the Premier League if they had spent £1B on players over the last five and a half years.

Certainly Newcastle United would be.

Steven had a decent enough game on Sunday afternoon in what was a gutsy performance from the lads, , and Newcastle were so unlucky to take nothing out of the game, after we went after City following a 20 minute hammering in the first 20 minutes of the game, when we had gone 1-0 down to a good Dzeko goal.

This is what Steven has said in the local papers today:

“It felt great to be back.” “It was my first league game since Man City away in the first game of the season.” “The lads were brilliant, and I’ve got to thank the fans as well for their support.”

“They were magnificent towards me. I want to say a massive thank you to them – they’ve kept me going.”  “Obviously, I just want to be playing, and it felt great to be out there again.”

“I just want to help the team finish as high up the table as possible.” “We felt we could have won the game,” “I can’t remember us having that many chances against Manchester City.”

“They’ve got world-class players, but we got right into them and caused them problems.  “I couldn’t see anything wrong with Cheick’s strike. It was a fantastic strike – similar to the Arsenal goal.”

“Joe Hart’s definitely seen the shot.” “Gouff hasn’t obstructed him – so I couldn’t see what the problem was. Gouff said at half-time he was nowhere near Joe Hart.”

“There was a bit of frustration, but we made a right go of it. We were pushing at the end, but it wasn’t to be. The lads were devastated.”  “But the fans were unbelievable. They roared us on non-stop. The atmosphere was tremendous.”

And we’ll have to forget all about Cheick’s disallowed goal and the fact we were a little unlucky not to get a draw, but next up is a game at West Ham United, and we must play with the same intensity we showed against City.

If we play like we did on Sunday we will beat West Ham, and if we play like we did in the previous game against Cardiff City, we’ll lose our next game at Upton Park.

It’s really as simple as that.

Note: Danny Gordon is one of our readers and he’s doing a survey as part of his  final year in Mechanical Engineering at Northumbria University – please help Danny by taking the survey on renewable energy – here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I suspect Fat Sams tactics will be the usual predictable nonsense, so that should be 3 points to us at the weekend…. however, this is Newcastle, and these things do have a habit of biting back at us.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

G

They will also be without the suspended Tompkins too but they have Carroll back who looks well up for it and possibly lasana traore in too.

Might not be too easy to get the points.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

G….as long as we take the game to them and try to do what we do best and not bring any of the defensive nonsense!

…I think we will be fine then (but nothing should be taken for granted in football though)

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

G

that is a very good point, Bergkamp had 2 very poor seasons in Italy, but undoubtedly he was a top class player, one of the best to ever play in the Premier league, some leagues just don’t suit certain players, Serie A didn’t suit Bergkamp, perhaps the Bundisleague is the league which doesn’t suit de Jong, like Bergkamp he could put that behind him and flourish in the Prem, if Gladbach are prepared to take a sizeable loss as they should based on his record with them, then I do feel that it would be worth taking the chance on him, a £13m player from the Dutch league getting the same results in the Prem is worth twice the price, from his Twente days he was worth at least the £13m, if we could get him for about £8/9 which is what were likely to get from Cisse, then for me we can’t really lose, and if he does settle as Bergkamp did then ?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

TS…I gotta say that article you showed me today has really made an impression mate 😉

…it’s food for thought!

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Another thing worth mentioning, is our recent record in London has improved significantly. Once upon a time I wouldn’t fancy us to take more than a point in the capital, however, right about now, our players are due a result, and after Sundays debacle, I think WHU are going to be on the receiving end of a thrashing.

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM

TS, I have it on (fairly?) good authority, that Andy Carrol finds it impossible to stay out of the boozer on a Saturday night, so on Sunday, he probably wont be that up for it. Besides, he is far from a 100% fit anyway, so I recon big MW will keep him in his pocket.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

bergkamp? what abt thiery

• Transfer Sage

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

G

Not saying you are wrong as I’m just going off one journo here but on sky a journo said Carroll has turned himself around since the injury and is in the shape of his life and trains so hard now.

Could still go to the boozer I guess though.

• Goodfella

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM

TS, to be fair to your source, the bloke who told me is a scouser who lives in London, who still feels quite bitter and twisted about AC’s time at Anfield. Hence the brackets etc.

• pottsclock

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM

• Patoon

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

whats the talk on the previous thread about Ibrahimavic

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

G

we all know about Carrolls like for a pint or 2, I have witnessed it for myself, not drinking with him but just last May, the season had just finished and I had just finished work at 7am ( i work nightshift) and AC with his leg in a brace was in McDonalds after an all night session, not a bonny sight, but just last month I heard rumours that the reason Carroll was so late in getting back from injury was not because of the injury but because he was in rehab for alcohol abuse, personally I feel this is rubbish as I saw for myself the brace he was wearing, but has anyone else heard about an alledged cover-up for his rumoured alcohol abuse.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Odds on to be NUFC’s money

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Patoon

it was a wind-up m8.

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM

spoof, I’ve heard those rumours too, and although what TS says above is more than plausible, I don’t think AC has the strength of charecter to turn his life around so soon. I spoke to his ex Faye a while back, who has two kids to him, and she also insists one of the reasons he doesn’t bother with his kids too much is his liking for his nightlife. She’s another one with fair bit or resentment for him though.

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM

G

the rumour came to me from a golf club in County Durham (Beamish), could it be from the same source or does yours come from a totally different area, if its different then there could be something in it.

• G

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Scouse Danny in London is my main source, but a few old army mates who support WHU also reckon he’s still loving the big smoke nightlife too much. The stuff from AC’s ex is a direct quote though. Tend to see her drinking around Ponteland quite a lot these days. I believe she recently moved up there into AC’s old house.

• JAMSHA

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse is understood to
    have been sounded out about playing in the
    ambitious new Indian Super League, which is
    due to launch in September.

lol hopes he joins.. we could get 20mil for sure

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

oh dear, it doesn’t sound too good for him, but all it takes is 1 army m8 to tell a different m8 who happens to come from Beamish or the surrounding area and then it is accepted by all to be true, I still don’t believe that it is true, but I do believe that with his lifestyle that it is inevitable, as it was with Gazza, as for his ex, well you can’t argue with that, all you can say is well done to her for getting out of it, the sad thing is, what a potential waste of talent, for the half season he had as our main striker in the Prem he was unplayable.

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM

AC certainly has the look of someone who has just emerged from a cave on a desert island with his basketball friend Wilson under his arm.

• eplforecast

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

ZLATAN IBRA is being linked to NUFC on SKY!

Come on CASHley!!!

• wolfshead@toon

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

tayls enjoys a half time pint in the changing room carroll is a lightweight 🙂

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Will you just shut it with that WUM rubbish eplforeskast! Get some right stray numb nuts on here sometimes.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Could have sworn saylor let Dzeko go for the first goal. if only saylor was as good as he thinks he is.

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

wolf

if tayls enjoys a half time pint and Carroll is a lightweight, then how come Carroll sparked Taylor lol

• Rotonda heights

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

shame tomkins isn’t playing!

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Yeah Saylor had a very dodgy first 20 imo. Thankfully he picked up well and won more headers than their cb’s combined. Also drove play forward from deep which contributed loads to our attacking impetus. Only Willo seemed to switch on from the start, particularly liked him stepping in when two of our players were dithering over a ball and getting it the hell out 🙂

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Rotunda

Gouff let the runner get past him for the first goal, the second came due to us trying to get back into the game, defensively we were ok, I will be glad when Debuchy is back, but even without Debuchy we were much better than what we ever are when Colo is in the side, that cannot really be debated now can it, Colo is defo the weak link for us.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I can’t see the point in keeping colo as his head just isn’t here any more

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I agree, Colo’s head is gone, but at least is was there at some point which we can’t say about his bravery, heading ability or his speed, he has never had any of those, undoubtedly he has always been very poor, and unquestionably he is the most over rated player we have ever had.

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Normally Colo is the strong point of our defence and it’s been correct for him to be built around, however I have to agree he is already on the plane home in his head now. Jonas and him are best pals, and with him gone it’s a lonely place in Chateauneuf-sur-Tyne now.

Cue the Tiotenator, a reformed pugilist and new captain!

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Although spoofs overdoing it.

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

We will have to break the trend of going all out against the top teams then turning up half asleep against the lower half outfits. I hope we face the Fat Man’s awful mob with the fire we showed against Citeh, We would murder them if we did.

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Tsunki

am I really overdoing it, for years I was always fighting with the majority who believed him too be good, but I always mentioned about his lack of bravery, being too slow and being weak in the air, I have been preaching on about it for years m8, but only now that Colo has made ir clear that he wants out has the populous decided to judge him on performance rather than reputation and they are now seeing what I have seen for years, he is a poor defender, if we are dominant and a class above our opponents then he is majestic at bringing the ball out and turning it into attack, but a defender should be judged by his defending and he has always been shocking.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM

got to agree with Spoof. Colo’s distribution is very very good, however his defensive abilities are lacking.

• Spoof

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

and while I’m at it, Remy is not worth anything more than £10m, forget current form he is better than that, he is currently in the wrong role, he will never be a loan striker, he will always be best at coming in from the left/right, preferably the left, that is how it was earlier in the season when Shola was in the centre, think back to finishing fifth, Ba was where Remy was on fire, bring back Ba in the middle with Remy to his left then £10m would be acceptable for Remy, but know more than that, to pay more than that then you have to have a good first touch, Remy’s is average at best, but I would like us to sign him, if we had a number nine alongside him.

• mag

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM

So what happened against the mighty Cardiff City in the FA cup Saylor?