The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Arsenal LIne Up Bid For Newcastle Defender

10:14 am, Thursday, January 16th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

There was news in Caughtoffside earlier this week, which they call an exclusive, that reported that Arsenal; manager Arsene Wenger was keen on both Yohan Cabaye and Davide Santon and that he was willing to bid £30M for the pair, either this month or in the summer.

davide santon norwich

Davide Santon - in action against Norwich

That’s even after Arsene earlier this month said he was not interested in Yohan Cabaye since he had plenty of central midfield players, so you have to wonder about the authenticity of the report.

But it’s new news that Arsenal could be interested in Santon, and with Bacary Sagna very likely to leave the North London club as a free agent this summer, when his contract runs our at the Emirates, it’s not surprising that Arsenal would be after a right back.

But we would have thought, with Wenger’s French ties, they would be more interested in Newcastle’s right back, 28 year-old French International Mathieu Debuchy, who is currently serving a three match ban at the moment, after being sent off at West Brom over the holiday fixtures.

But at 28 years old it could be that Mathieu is a little  bit too old?

And we suppose Cabaye would be priced at around £20M and Santon at around £10M, and it would take those fees to get the players to leave Newcastle.

But we’d be very surprised if Arsenal are after either of these Newcastle players.

What do you think?

Note: Danny Gordon is one of our readers and he’s doing a survey as part of his final year in Mechanical Engineering at Northumbria University – please help Danny by taking the survey on renewable energy – here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Davide Santon · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Santon to Arsenal I just couldn’t see. I rate him, I just don’t see him as the type of player Wenger usually goes for.

• 2 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM

tds

I would not say everton have a better squad than us,, not in a million years

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Our Toon

Tell me one manager managing a team below us in the English league who you would prefer as managing of our club. Then explain why. People were saying Lambert, Poyet, even Di Canio.

And if you say Pochettino, I will just laugh…the guy did ok for Espanyol (but was in last place when he left) and he’s done ok for Saints so far. But Saints have spent a lot of money and he’s been there less than a year. He’s just as likely to crash and burn as he is to do something special.

• 4 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM

it may appear they have because the manager has them playing better

puthim in charge of nufc and watch us fly

• 5 G // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM

TDS, I would have said Poyet until recently, however, even though he has the unwashed playing better football, I just couldn’t stomach the idea of having an ex mackem manager in charge. It was bad enough when Fat Sam the ex mackem player was in charge.

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM

catchy

Firstly, I think you’re looking at this through black and white tinted glasses…

Secondly, this site disagrees with you: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb_GB1.html

Thirdly, I think you should take a look at the Everton squad and think man for man who is better

• 7 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM

ToonDarnSarf

honestly

you look at football from another planet

if you look at the style of football any manager has,

take poyet, look at brighton, for me they were an excellent footballing team,
    he took average footballers and got them playing football,
    give him far superior players to train with, he will apply the same methods and more often then not, he will get better results, because he has better tools to work with

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Our Toon/catchy

Ok, Our Toon thinks we have no squad, catchy thinks we have a better squad than Everton. I disagree with both of you so why don’t you just argue it out amongst yourselves?

• 9 mindshaft // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Caughtoffside spout more shhhite – no truth in this, Santon isn’t even a right back!

• 10 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM

TDS

take the 3 players that are not theres out of the equation ,
    take remy out of ours

our squad is worth more

sorry

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM

catchy

fookin Brighton??? Seriously? You’re going to quote a championship side that spend loads of money to prove Poyet’s credentials?

I’m not just talking style, I’m talking about results. Poyet is more likely to flop than succeed (where are the shining lights like Di Canio, Ince, Jewell. Gullit, Pearce, Southgate, McLaren etc.???

If you’re so damn good at judging a good manager, get down to the bookies and put some bets on. You’ll never have to work a day in your life…

• 12 Our Toon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM

TDS

I said yesterday and in months gone by that Gus Poyet was top of my list, young up coming manager, unfortunately he’s with the scum now and doing a very good job with a shocking team!! Poyet has managed to beat pards in all 3 meetings and with inferior teams

Pochettino is definitely on my list mate, I’m glad this makes you laugh but you must have more knowledge than the likes of Mourinho who recently said that he’s spoken to Real Madrid about Pochettino being a future Real Madrid manager, you carry on laughing mate!!

Laudrup – still doing a good job with Swansea, has beaten pards in all 3 meetings, has already won more on football than pards has won in his entire career as a manager, doesn’t use the EL as an excuse unlike pards who still uses it as an excuse to this day!!

They are the 3 I’d take in a heartbeat mate, now you tell me why Percy is better than the 3 mentioned!!

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM

catchy

Take the loan players out? So they’re not on the pitch?

Don’t be dumb. Should we take Cabaye and Colo out too because they might be leaving this summer?

When we’re talking about Everton having a better squad, we’re talking about the players that they have available to them.

Jeez…

Rémy, Loïc * –
    Striker (CF), 27 Years

10.500.000 £
    12.000.000 €

that’s a huge difference

• 15 Slank // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I don’t see Arsenal or any other club making a bid for either Cabaye or Santon this window. Cabaye is not going to jeopardise his position in the French national side on the run up to the World Cup with the disruption of a move and possibly not the certainty of a place in the starting line-up of a new team.

• 16 pottsclock // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This is a nothing story.

• 17 cjtoon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM

ToonDarnSarf:

We do have a squad at least equal to everton’s i would say better though. If you take out Lukaku (lukaku £22mil), Barry and Delofeu as they are loans then that would reduce the value on transfermarkt considerably (i think they are counted otherwise it must be club value including stadium etc).

Player for player we are about equal probably if you take the loan guys out. We could merge and make a ridiculous team! pardew can have the rejects and Martinez can use the first 11 :-p

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Wow…some of you guys are outstandingly biased.

Our Toon – 1 swallow doesn’t make a summer (neither do 2 or 3)

catchy – you can’t manipulate facts to try to prove an argument

I’m outtahere…

• 19 theartfuldodger // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Pardews buzz words are containment,work rate,being solid and tracking back.

• 20 martoon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM

In my opinion our first team and Everton first team are pretty equal however I would say the Everton squad is stronger with more depth than ours – the likes of Osman is en excellent guy to have on the bench.

• 21 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM

ToonDarnSarf

look at man us prices for there players, this site has them valued at 315 million

its all pie in the sky stuff

player for player, I wouldn’t swap many from my team for player in manu’s

• 22 cjtoon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM

ToonDarnSarf:

I dont think anyone is biased, You brought up the transfermarkt values to prove a point (wrongly) as we are worth more if you take out the players both do not own.

Nobody was suggesting take them out of the squad but if you try to back up an arguement with stats incorrectly people will pick it apart.

• 23 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I rate Santon at £25, alone. There’s no way that we’ll sell him to a rival club.

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Grrrr…not quite away.

I didn’t say that Everton’s squad is worth more money. I said I think it’s a better squad! The transfermarkt side simply demonstrates this.

You can’t take the loan players out because they play for Everton this season! Any more than you should add in Raylor for us or take away Shola because he’s leaving this summer.

• 25 cjtoon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

The only everton players I think we would have in our first 11 are Baines (santon), Lukaku (even though he isnt theirs), Mirallas (sissoko RW), Barkley (Cabaye (english with more potential)), Jagielka (willo) and coleman is on par with debuchy but both have had excellent seasons.

• 26 Our Toon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM

TDS

Is that your answer “one swallow doesn’t make a summer” yet you bang on about Percy winning manager of the year and fishing 5th highest ever achievement!!

I ask again the 3 young mangers I mentioned was a direct response to your question, why have you avoided my question? I’ll ask you again:

Why do you think Percy is a better manager than Pochettino, Poyet and Laudrup? I want reasons not sidestepping answers like a politician

• 27 Our Toon // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Finishing 5th not fishing haha

• 28 JP...from The Rock // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM

It’s a bullshit story clearly. No way will Arsene buy a defender that is so bad at defending. He can’t stay in his position even if his life depended on it!

• 29 JP...from The Rock // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM

repost:

Remy should never play alone upfront. That is not a role he is used to either. Neither are Sissoko and Gouffran wingers! Although Gouffran is very capable as a winger and much better than Gutierrez who offered no threat whatsoever.

Remy should play on the wing and either Gouffran or Ben Arfa on the other with Cisse or De Jong in the middle.

I always thought Sissoko would be most effective playing as the box-to-box midfielder we craved since Nolan left. I don’t see him as a winger at all, a lot of huffing and puffing but no crosses nor goals from him.

Then we have our most influential player on the bench every game in HBA.

It really is a shambles. I thought it was straight forward where each player would play but they keep playing out of position which is annoying.

My favourite player in HBA on the bench every game is a killer blow for me. So what if he doesn’t track back much, I don’t see Walcott or Nasri tracking back either yet they are constantly causing defenders problems with their trickery.

Pardew and/or the club needs to sort this out, either sign proper wingers and strikers or get our players playing in their positions.

We’ve been lucky to be doing so well until now I am afraid.

• 30 Slank // Jan 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Catchy @ 7

Poyet achieved nothing at Brighton and the jury is still out at Sunderland.

There is quite a difference between a manager whose team play nice football and a manager who wins trophies on a regular basis. The only manager in the Premiership to have done that is Wenger but he has had quite a few lean years of late.

Were the Chelsea fans downhearted when their team won trophy after trophy because their team were boring? Likewise, did the Arsenal fans of old moan about always winning one nil when they swept the board?

We are a mid table team and as such will employ a manager that is appropriate for that mid table position. Truly top managers go to truly top teams unless you come from the same country as the previous manager.

All the pundits say that managing the owner/chairman by the manager is as important as managing the team. So far Pardew has done a good job at both.

• 31 ToonMatt // Jan 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM

£30m? Cha-ching!! Fatty will be happy with that tidy little profit.

• 32 bobby mango // Jan 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

If this would true I’d take if. Cabaye is going soon and we have cover for Santon.

previous post: Top Striker Wants To Stay At Newcastle