The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gutierrez – I Don’t Understand What I Did Wrong At Newcastle

9:50 am, Friday, January 17th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

It turns out that Jonas Gutierrez was essentially told his Newcastle career was over last month, before he agreed to join Norwich City on a loan deal, with the option of making that a permanent move in the summer.

Jonas Gutierrez +Chelsea+

Jonas Gutierrez – now on loan at Norwich

And if Norwich don’t take up their option to buy the Argentine International this summer, other clubs will be willing to sign the very experienced Newcastle winger.

Jonas had made only one sub appearance since starting the first game at Manchester City, when he picked up an injury is the first half of what turned out to be a disastrous start to the season by Newcastle, when we were hammered 4-0.

This is what Jonas has revealed today:

“The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.” “I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.”

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.”  “I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that.”

“He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

Those words from Jonas suggest that the story that if Jonas reached a certain number of appearances for Newcastle – probably 200 – he would have to be offered a new deal.

The Argentine played 194 times for Newcastle with 11 goals, and with Moussa Sissoko and Yoan Gouffran are the new wide men at Newcastle, and it was going to be difficult for him to get much playing time this season.

But Jonas was always very popular with the fans, and we expect him to do very well at Norwich.

And unfortunately these kinds of things seem to happen in football – there’s never been too much sentiment in football – and  Jonas admitted that’s football – in his previous comments after joining the Canaries.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Jonas Gutierrez · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jan 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I don’t know if the rumours about having to pay a fee for 200 appearances are nonsense or not (and they sound like it to me), but to be honest was he really going to get a game with us anymore? Great servant for the club, but I feel the move is the best thing for him.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Jan 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

think it was best for both to move on, he was becoming a defender which didn’t suit him and we had a winger who didn’t do it in the final third

Still think if he wasn’t given a reason it’s poor management…so much for top man management skills for the silver one.

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Ed…if those stories were true wouldn’t you say that Jonas indeed would have known why he was not being played and eventually told to find a new club???

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 9:55 AM

…or why wasn’t he sold last summer???

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Does anyone know if their are any truth in Fulham being interested in Obertan?

• 6 G // Jan 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM

@5, did their manager work with him at Manyoo? If he did, then probably not!

• 7 GeordieDan // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Wow, what a fantastic way to treat your hardest working, most loyal players!

Mike Ashley’s famous personal touch being applied here?

The man is a genuine cretin. I wonder if it’s like a sickness to have to have more and more and MORE money even when you have far too much to begin with that it means you just don’t give a toss about anything or anyone else?

Or maybe he’s just a gargantuan @rsehole!

Either way, what a pathetic way to live. I’d rather be broke and happy than rich and an utter turd like him.

• 8 Graeme // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I would have thought he was told to find a new club because he no longer cuts it as a winger – and hasnt done so for 18 months.

He has lost his pace, runs into blind alleys, then falls over. He doesn’t cross the ball, he doesn’t beat his man, but he does run up and down all game, producing nothing.

It was great to have him, but its time has wages were used to improve the squad. Thanks Jonas, but goodbye.

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Well you can always hope he hasn’t realized Obertan is crap ;)

• 10 blew // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Jonas is way out of his depth and has
    been for some time.
    Norwich will find out and for sure
    Jonas will return to NUFC after his
    loan period. There will be no deal.

• 11 jayphoto // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Love the guy but time to move on the performances were consistenly declining!
    Jesper im in rangemore (stsffordshire, the village where the fa centre at st georges park is) but work in london most days followed by birmingham n paris (bout 5 days a month)

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Jayphoto…so work is taking you and the missus to Norway? :)

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Jayphoto…long drive to London mate ;)

• 14 Transfer Sage // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM

he does need to leave, no longer good enough but very hampered offensively by our game plan

hopefully he gets given a reason after being such a loyal lad though

• 15 stan anderson // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Trying to unload Jonas while he may have some value.
    Cant see why he got so much stick off some fans.
    His workrate was 2nd to none and he never hid in a match,my only prob i had was his falling over as much,but that seems to be part and parcel of the game now.
    I would take the lad any day of the week before Strolla and other,s.

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Birmingham, West Bromwich and Wolverhamton is like a tri-state area :)

• 17 catchy in norway // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM

jay

I think its a great place to live,

I can not be sure what tromso is like but Im guessing it will be like where I moved to in Norway, quite a small place,
    if it is a small place, and not a big city, the people are quite shy at first, because they think there English is poor, but if you get in with the locals, they accept you ,

kids help ,as you meet there parents at school meetings

I went helping with the ski shooting, and also took the job( no pay) for looking after the gym, my partner took the womens fitness classes ,

im now in the city, and it is a very multi national place, everyone is friendly enough,,

Norway is no1 in the world for STD of living ,

I think you will both enjoy it,,

and as jesper mentioned, you see the northern lights from there, bt that also means 18 hours of darkness in winter, and the sun never goes down in the summer

• 18 Belfast // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Completely the correct decision from Ashley/Pardew and co for probably the first time in history. Hasn’t been good enough for about 18 months, should have been shown the door long before now.

• 19 bobby mango // Jan 17, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Him going was right but not giving him more of an explanation was wrong.
    The again I can’t imagine Pardew saying “you’ve got to find a new club” and Jonas not saying “why?”
    If he was that confused he surely could’ve asked.

• 20 Kurt // Jan 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Catchy

Can I ask you where you live in Norway ?

previous post: Selling Andy Carroll – A Great Deal For The Magpies