Newcastle May Be Preparing To Sell Tim Krul

There seem to be a number of reports this week that Newcastle are interested in various players, and while some will not be true, others may give us a hint of those we may be after in the summer, since we don’t expect Newcastle to bring more than two players maximum  through the door in January.

Robbin Ruiter

Robbin Ruiter – 6’5″ Utrecht goalkeeper

There are reports in Holland that Newcastle are interested in Robbin Ruiter of Utrecht, who is named in the Eredivise team of the season that was recently announced.

That team also includes right back Kelvin Leerdam of Vitesse, who Newcastle were linked with yesterday, and striker Alfred Finnbogason of Heerenveen, who we have been linked with since last summer.

Maybe in the next week or so we’ll be linked with more players in this side?

The 6’5″ goalkeeper moved to Utrecht from FC Volendam in 2012 and he’s played 19 times for the club this season, and has been in outstanding form.

But Newcastle keep getting linked with a goalkeeper, such as Jeroen Zoet of PSV, who we were linked with last summer and Reading’s Alex McCarthy.

That either means Alan Pardew wants a third experienced goalkeeper in the squad, or the club may be willing to sell number one Tim Krul if the right bid comes in over the summer, and are currently scouting his potential replacement.

But with Newcastle presumably after a goalkeeper, and Ruiter being in the Eredivisie team of the season so far – what’s the betting that somebody put two and two together and guessed that Newcastle may be interested in this goalkeeper?

Quite high, we would have thought.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM

On the last article…

Isn’t it just like some nufc fans to find offence in something as standard as a warm weather training camp. It helps fitness to train in thos climates ffs. It’s hardly a romantic jaunt to the middle east. Like someone said, this is common practice among professional sides.

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Appologies for my apparent tone. It is not
    meant to be so aggressive. I am grumpy in the mornings

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM

On this article..

Would it not make more sense for whoever is after krul to sign this guy instead? Cut out the middle man. He will be far cheaper and is obviously highly rated.

• G

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM

It wouldn’t surprise me that we have scouted several keepers, as any player has their price. To be honest, much as I like Krul, if a big offer came in for him, I would take it. He’s an excellent shot-stopper, so some big clubs will have noticed. They’ve probably also noticed that his distribution is amongst the worst in the Prem though, so I can’t see a bigger club coming in for him.

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM

G

Kruls distribution is poor i agree. Probably the only weakness in his game. I like his decision making. Usually seems be in the right place to deny a chance

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM

If we are interested in a new keeper it must be because of Krul’s woeful distribution. Elliott when he’s come in has shown how easy and effective good distribution can be.

How hard can it be to get goal kicks right, when you practice that every day?

I bet it’s just for more cover but do we really need a goalkeeper now in January? Of course not and I hope the club knows this and move for such a position in the summer and not now.

Bring me wingers and a striker in please!

• G

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:36 AM

@5, Aye, that’s a fair assessment of his game. Like I say, I like the lad, his reflex stops are top notch, but he’s replaceable too. I’m not saying I want that, but if the right money came in, I would take it.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:36 AM

markaccus

I’m just going off the photos from the portugal training camp a couple years ago which turned into a big night out where they reportedly drank a bar dry.

I don’t mind players having a night out, don’t think it causes too much harm if done at the right time. But for me this is ill timed.

• Klatoon

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:37 AM

We wont lose Krul to bigger clubs…not with his kicking and distribution

• G

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Can anybody remember when we last had a keeper with excellent distribution? Probably Tommy the barman was the last one I can remember.

• martoon

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Markaccus – Let’s face it no matter what they do some will always find fault with it – it is quite normal practice in these circumstances and gives a chance for some intensive training, team bonding and general recouperation.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM

And also with the ‘tiredness’ in our squad and players needing rest the last thing they need is an intense training session in the 40 degree heat.

I’d much rather they just do tactical work at our ground and have a weeks rest.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:41 AM

martoon

i don’t find fault in everything done, just certain things, this is one of them, for the reasons in my above comments

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Its strange. Nufc’s keeper history. We have had some belting stoppers, but they always seemed to have one glaring weekness. Examples…
    Given. A fantastic stopper of long and short range shots, and hard to dribble round too, but that lad was super glued to his line for corners and wide free kicks

Pav. So many wonder goals were prevented by this cat-like miracle worker, but he didnt have a clue if someone got near him, and often just fell down.

• G

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM

@14, I loved Pav as a shot stopper, but he suffered the goalkeeping curse of being a vampire i.e. sh*t scared of crosses. Shaka was also fairly impressive, but a bit of a flapper.

• bills-son

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Krul isn’t bad on crosses but he doesn’t dominate the box in the way that a truly great keeper like Scmeichel did.

For a tall guy Krul is a bit lightweight when it comes to aerial challenges..

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM

T sage

I do see where you are coming from in a way, but we do have that new fitness coach and i don’t think this has been an off the cuff idea, i think doing something like this will make it easier to play in our climate, as long as it is done correctly. They wont be able to go out on the lash over there anyway, its not allowed 😀

• bobby mango

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:09 AM

We’ve been linked to keepers for a while now. This is nothing new.

Even if Krul does go I think he can be replaced. He’s great, like him but he lacks in some areas. Especially distribution. Think his saves are overrated as well – against spurs there were only 1 or 2 great saves. The rest were solid but you would expect any decent keeper to make them.