Pardew Addresses Gutierrez Controversy – He Wanted To Play

Alan Pardew has given his press conference for the game tomorrow at Upton Park, and it’s hardly surprising that he was asked about Jonas Gutierrez recent comments that he was frozen out at Newcastle, and that the Argentine is not sure what he did wrong at Newcastle.

jonas gutierrez praying

Jonas Gutierrez – praying at Newcastle

Alan addressed the situation by saying that Jonas wanted to play first team football, and since he will get that at Norwich under his former manager Chris Hughton, he still could have some chance, a small chance –  to make the Argentine squad for the World Cup in Brazil next summer.

This is what Alan said:

“He’s not left – he’s on loan,” “He wasn’t playing first-team football, and he wanted to play.” “I wish him well at Norwich. Chris Hughton knows him very well.”

“He’s been a great player for us, but he wasn’t playing. The World Cup isn’t far away. There’s an opportunity for him to play at Norwich.”

It’s likely the press will try to make a big thing out of this, but in truth it’s simply what happens in football, where for one reason or another a former regular stopped getting games at the club.

In those cases it’s nearly always best that he be shipped out where he can play, especially when that’s what the player wants – and Jonas wasn’t happy to get his wages by simply sitting on the bench at Newcastle, that’s when he made the bench, which wasn’t very often recently.

But we also don’t expect Jonas to return to Newcastle in the summer, and either Norwich will pick him up or some other club will sign him in the summer.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• nufcsg

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Hi all,

I’ll have 2 days in Newcastle on the weekend of 19 April.

In these 2 days, I’ll like to attend a stadium tour and watch the home match against Swansea (a must). I am still thinking of going on Fri & Sat or Sat & Sun due to my concerns below.

1. What is the likelihood of the match being shifted for live tv? When will it be announced?

2. Swansea is in Europa so there’s a chance for the match to be moved. But they are playing Napoli next, so I assume they won’t proceed further.

3. If I’m there on Fri & Sat, I can go for the stadium tour on Fri and match on Sat, if the match is moved, I’m screwed.

4. If Sat and Sun, I can watch the match on either Sat or Sun, but will the stadium tour be available?

I am coming from Singapore and it’s a very rare chance for me to catch the team playing before my eyes. I really really do not want to miss the match.

Please advise. Thanks a lot!

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Markacuss

Remy has 1 goal in 10 games mate, doesn’t belong to us and isn’t scoring!! Cisse isn’t getting confidence warming the bench and certainly won’t be scoring many from there… The pecking order you speak of consists of Shola, Remy and Cisse, Shola has no PL goals in over a year, Remy 1 in 10 but most goals have come from wider position…. Cisse must start as this losing run needs to come to an end and quite frankly we need goals

Krul

Santon/MYM, willo, Saylor/MYM, santon/Haidara
    Tiote, Anita
    HBA, Cabaye, Remy
    Cisse

• nufcsg

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

From previous post,

Hi all,

I’ll have 2 days in Newcastle on the weekend of 19 April.

Please advise. Thanks a lot!

• 70TWO

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I don’t whole heartily agree but I think Pardew is likely to use Shola in a 442 and use Gouffran and Sissoko due to the 10 day ‘break’ before the next game. He could surprise us by also starting Cisse as their CD pair are poor.

• Rainrix

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Wait jonas’ move is a controversy? Explain that one to me please? 😉

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

For tomorrows game I would line the team up like this:

————————–Krul———————–

M’biwa——–Willo——–Saylor——-Haidara

————————-Tiote———————-

—————Cabaye——Sissoko—————-

Ben Arfa————————————–Remy

————————-Cisse———————-

With a bench of: Gouffran, Sammy, Santon, Anita, Marveaux, Dummett, Elliot.

What do you think lads?

• K T Cat

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I’m a huge Jonas fan – my Newcastle jersey is a Jonas one – and don’t see the big deal here. The guy has never been anything other than transparent and honest and hard working. For all the complaints about him, no one has ever questioned his work ethic or loyalty. I watched his news conference at Norwich and he just wants to play. The last few weeks at Newcastle were the first ones in his life where he wasn’t at least on the bench for his team. At 30, I’m sure he realizes that he doesn’t have much professional soccer left in him and he wants to make the most of what he has left.

Clearly, Chris Hughton likes him and feels comfortable with him, a point Jonas made in the interview, so the move made complete sense.

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Hi NUFCSG,

Not sure when TV scheduling will be released but probably in Feb!! As for stadium tour it’s something i would try to arrange as soon as possible, I recently had a friend who came from Malaysia but unfortunately could get a tour as some corporate event wasn’t taking place

• 70TWO

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

JP – repost

I have since realised I perhaps over exaggerated the subject and have no intention of prolonging any disagreement. I value your opinions as a fellow supporter.

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

We can use the numbers to prove anything.

Remy has TWO in the last 10.
    THREE in the last 11.
    Cisse has THREE all season. 2 were cup goals, one a close range one.
    Remy and goofy top 2 scorers so far this season. I am not saying Cisse should forever warm the bench, but he should be eased back in.

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

JP

I’d pick a similar team but Wouldn’t play Haidara, defensively poor and can’t cross above shin height!! Haidara Positionally is worse than santon!!

• nufcsg

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Our Toon,

Thanks. I think it’s wiser to confirm on my trip only when the scheduling is out ya. Btw, is there any nice pubs or must-try in Newcastle?

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Markaccus

How do you ease someone back in? He’s been bench warming for how long now? We are out of cups so when would you play Cisse if not now when others aren’t scoring or contributing?

Must be good for the lads confidence to score against Cardiff and then be benched for following game!! In a team that has lost last 3 prem games changes are needed mate, don’t forget Remy missed a 1 on 1 chance against hart and also missed a free header, we can look at all kind of stats 13 goals in 14 games for Cisse but it’s daft to do so bottom line is we have 0 goals in 3 prem games, playing the usual suspects is what Percy gets slated for!!

• bobby mango

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM

So people would start without Gouffran, despite his work rate and occasional goals??

WHU won’t be pushovers… Big Sam normally does well against us.

I’d probably play the same team that started against City. Bring HBA on earlier though.

• stan anderson

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Ashley will not sign players as we are just about safe.
    He,s only interest is survival in the PL. nothing else.
    The man is only interest is making money,not winning things,just profit.
    The man is no good as a club owner as he,s not got the ambition that the fans deserve from the man at the top.
    What would the club be without the fans,who put ther faith in this crook and his cronies.
    Sooner the better he sells up and p-sses off somewhere else to make his millions.
    Sir John put this club on the map again and gave us back our pride in the club and our city.He tried to win trophies for us and Fat Freddy to tried but they cocked it up took the millions and ran.
    I just wish this horrible coward of a man would dissapear out of the club for ever.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

70TWO- Good to hear, no harm done, peace treaty signed 😀

Our Toon – Really? You think Santon is better defensively? Sorry but I don’t, and I”ve seen enough of Haidara going forward and crossing to give me the impression he can whip in a teasing ball every now and again. When was the last time we saw that from Santon?

Well that’s my opinion 🙂

I just think that team, has pace, balance, skill, trickery and will scare opponents. Then we also have players that can make a difference from the bench in Gouffran, Marvaux and Anita.

But it also shows were our weaknesses lie, we need a blooming striker! lol

• nufc 11

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM

For me Taylor should play RB he is not a CB time and time again he has proven that didnt cover Dzeko right for city goal last week he never gels right with who ever he plays with in the middle. Yanga isnt a RB so its a no brainer for me swap em around better balance to bk4.

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Markacuss

How many games has Remy started and how many has Remy started?

More importantly how goals has Remy got from playing as an out and out striker (through the middle)? The answer is 3 goals, spurs, Norwich and Stoke

His other goals have come from wide left!!

• Transfer Sage

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM

i’d go for

krul
    santon, willo, mbiwa, haidara
    anita, tiote
    hba, cabaye, remy
    cisse

let hba, cabaye and remy move around between each other.

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Throw him in from the start. He misses 2 or 3 chances. Back to square one with his confidence. This debate could go round and round, because no one is really right or wrong. Risks both ways. I say give him half an hour v west ham, personally.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Madison Toon…don’t know if you are about, but I do agree with you about statistics and football. It’s not that straightforward as in baseball, but that was not my point anyway 🙂

…that said I find the use of “sabermetric”as in “Moneyball” very interesting. My point though was about how we buy players and how we spend our money. We need to buy wins instead of focusing so much on value and sell-on value!

• 70TWO

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Our Toon

You are right, Haidarra has less postion sense than Santon, but at least he can go around the outside in attack (whilst defense is their first responsibility.

I would like to see:
    1 – Santon playing RB using good positioning (Kolarov goal again), supplying crosses and getting around the outside.
    2 – Dummett play LB just so we have a largely (in both senses) British (!!!) defense, with Willo & Saylor. However Mbiwa would probably be safer at LB.
    3 – Cabaye & HBA playing in tandem
    4 – Anita instead of Sissoko on the wing as I am sure he can cross better.
    5 – A goal or two …or three!

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM

JP

Yes Santon is better defensively than Haidara, Haidara is left footed which is the only area where he is better than santon, Haidaras crossing on his natural left foot is shocking mate, the whip you talk about would be good if the lad could cross above shin height!!

Defensively, experience wise he falls asleep when it comes to playing offside which has cost the team on a couple of occasions already this season!! He has pace which can bail him out!! Santon gets unfair stick on here yet we concede more from the right (Debuchys side than we do anywhere else)

• wolfshead@toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

mattroge

you are right to doff your cap to jesper he is a gent if you address him will reply unlike some rude old c**** on here haha 🙂

• Ancientcoptic

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I am tempted to write a few paragraphs explaining why (I think) that is wrong, but as I am pushed for time, I will say this… I could not disagree more. (Especially the “positionally” comment)

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM

nufc 11- I’ve always wanted to see Saylor play more at RB as I think his style of play is suited perfectly for this role. But if you look closely it was Willo that let the cross come in for City’s first goal. He should have cleared the ball, instead he left go by him assuming it would be cleared by either Saylor or Krul.

Can’t fault Willo though as he was once again solid throughout as he has been all season, it was just that lapse that cost us dearly.

• stan anderson

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Sorry about the grammar and spelling mistakes on my previous offering but i am not as literate as some of the clever shites who come on this blog.

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Markaccus

Your right we can go round in circles on this debate but I’d choose the player we own over the player on loan, in the long run which one will benefit us? Especially considering we are playing for nothing now

• Transfer Sage

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

i don’t think our season is quite over yet…we had a poor start then went on that run and ended up pushing top 4, a similar run again could see us in contention

• Our Toon

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Ancient

I judge based on what I’ve seen from Haidara, the lad came on against Swansea and was caught out numerous times, remember he came on at 1-0 and game ended 3-0, played Shelvey onside

Fast forward to last week, he was less of a threat than Santon in his short stint on the pitch and played Negrado onside as he was day dreaming!! Haidara is rated very highly by fans and I’m confused what this is based on!! Both players around the same age, yet Haidara hasn’t achieved anything in his career, who was his previous club?

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Our Toon – Hmmm interesting point about Haidara not playing well the offside trap. I must look into that as I have not noticed it myself. About his crossing, yeh it is low but at least he crosses the ball into the area with speed. But tbf Haidara hasn’t played much to be too critical of him. He’s young with plenty of time in his side to improve.

I just think Santon takes his place in the team for granted and we need to mix it up and give Haidara, who looks promising, a chance.

You say most of our goals have come from the right, but really that was before Debuchy came in and when he was still adapting to our league. Now he is by far our best full back.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Did I just kill the blog? lol Where y’all gone?

• toonking

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM

is it just me or do any of you think that this summer could well be the time when Ashley is going to leave our club once and for all.

in these last 4 transfer windows their have been some really strange things.

1. the summer one before the start of last season their we were in the Europa league and in with a great chance of building up a team yet we do nothing to improve our squad

2 then in that January window for some strange reason we are panic buying as though he doesn’t want us to go down.

3 lambias walked out this summer and the one who took over from him was the worst choice of them all Kinnear, also we change the stadium name back to st james park, Ashley puts a share into rangers who I think will be promoted back into the SPL this year, the only player we bring in is a loan player.

4. right now we a in a very good position in the PL, we have a very short number of forwards, when it comes to game changers we have real difficulty and as last yea showed, the minute injuries come we are doomed yet we are not looking bothered at all about buying player.

if we don’t buy a single player this January then we will be the first ever top flight club to not have bought a player since the transfer was made into a winter and summer transfer window.

the only thing missing now is the mass exit of players and I get the feeling that is going to happen this summer, then it will be bye bye Ashley and probably a Newcastle team which will start to sink down the divisions.

• Rake

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM

If Anita doesn’t start I’ll eat my hat…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

The blog has been a little bit dead lately, but I am hoping a win this weekend will light up the blog again 🙂

• toonking

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM

JP
    when bad results happen the blog always gets quieter.

with bad results come the trolls, pardew bashers player bashers negative tactics and so called experts.

• mag

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

One goal scored in the last four games doesn’t look too good since Remy has started firing blanks no one else seems capable of chipping in with any goals, Pardew needs the boot!

• Markaccus

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Our toon

I like that last point you made, because it rhymes 😀

• Colo-Sus

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM

My word:

Why do the comments on this blog also confirm to the following

a. An ashley rant (will come to nothing, accept our fate, hes a prick and doesnt care MOVE ON)

b. A transfer rant (this window will be a let down, we are winning games/safe…result no signing)

c. A pardew rant ( hes done ok, better than any manager we have had since sir bobby, why we think getting a spanish or foreign manager will suddnly make us into barcelona mark 2 ill never know DELUDED)

Some on her infuriate me with negativity and constant complaining!

YES, ashley is an total f*ckwit, YES jfk does bot all and steals a living, YES Pardew will make mistakes in some peoples view.

GET ON WITH IT AND SUPPORT THE TEAM, our petty bitching and moaning will never change anything under this regime.

If peaople truly want change there is one way to get it

STOP GOING TO THE GAMES and lining Ashleys wallet.

TALK THE TALK AND WALK THE WALK as they say!