The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Close To Biggest Ever Signing Under Ashley

8:41 am, Sunday, January 19th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

We reported yesterday that there was news in the French press that Remy Cabella was close to joining Newcastle United, and that has been followed up today with more news sources quoting his father Hector Cabella that his son would be joining Newcastle this month.

remy cabella number one

Remy Cabella – secret signal that Newcastle are number one?

Manchester United are one of the other clubs after the player, and they were quoted a fee of 14M in the summer for the Montpellier play-maker.

But there have been rumors that he wants to join Newcastle, maybe because of all the French players at the club, and we are doing well again under Alan Pardew this season, for the second season in the last three.

Remy was asked about Newcastle a few weeks ago and this is what he said:

“Newcastle? Well, we realise that at some point we must leave. I think I’m capable of it. England interests me, there are good clubs out there. If Montpellier reaches an agreement with an English club that suits me, I’ll be happy,”

“I think this is my last season with the club and I do not want to leave Montpellier in Ligue 2. This is my last year and I hope to finish in style. If a proposal comes, it is up to the two clubs to discuss and I will think in terms of that.”

If this news is to be believed Newcastle are going to sign the 23 year-old and beat out Manchester United – and this is the quote from his father yesterday that has caused all the news:

“Yes we are negotiating for Rémy – and yes he will join Newcastle this winter,”

If this deal goes through, it would be the biggest ever under Mike Ashley, beating the £9M we paid out for Papiss Cisse two years ago, and it would also be Joe Kinnear’s first permanent signing as the Newcastle Director of Football.

We are hoping the deal goes through and all this news is accurate, but you never can be sure until the deal is actually done.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM

@Jazzyp
    Here’s proof as well.
    Listen from around 3:50, and you’ll hear him quote a price of £8M.

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I’ll believe it when I see him holding hid black and white shirt :)

• 3 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Disgusting Mackem.

• 4 Dannyo // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM

@tads
    Fair enough on what league they’re playing in. However, I don’t think AP’s record on getting youngsters through have been very good at NUFC.
    It’s happening all too often right now that they hit a certain level and then stagnate because they’re not allowed to progress in the first team.
    If AP was willing to give a bite more prolonged runs in the team, I think a fair share of them would give a better showing of themselves.
    Hopefully loans do them good and they edge themselves closer, wherever they are.

• 5 Bambams // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM

re I am obviously no football manager and just a die hard fan. But i cannot understand why our club keeps missing out on chances to sign players when we have momentum. Keegan era was full of momentum signings (hope this is making sense)
    We have just beaten the hammers and are going into a short break (abu dhabi or similar)….. It would be perfect timing NOW to bring in one, two players (Cabella Luuk…) so that they can meet our team and train in a great environment ready for the next game.
    If we improve and Cabaye sees potential who knows he may stay.
    The other side of me thinks knowing the chairman he is doing a tottenham and is spending the Cabaye money already.
    We genuinely could challenge for CL with a couple of signings and some rub of the green.
    Ashley do not waste this chance !post

• 6 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM

toonarmydownsouth // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Torq
    Apparently every player who has a bit of flair is automatically written off as they must be a carbon copy of HBA there for no point in them coming as they will be “Pardewed”
    This seems to ignore the fact that despite being immensely skilful with bags of pace Cabella also has a fantastic engine, comes deep, hassles the opposition midfield by pressuring them in the mould of Cabs/Tiote and had the ability to switch defence to attack in seconds!
    A midfield trio of him Tiote and Cabaye would be fantastic!
    HBA has only a fraction of these traits (not to mention HBA is a winger!)

• 7 jazzyp // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Dannyo
    Ffs mate give it a rest will ya.Has somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed.I was quoting as above the Figure that is all over the transfer markets

• 8 Transfer Sage // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Usually a good source for French player news. They say they haven’t been able to confirm quotes from his father yet and there manager has some bad words about us. Lots of talk from a small club in a rugby town (they are a French Wigan)

• 9 jazzyp // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Jesper
    Lets just hope it to be true eh mate, What a signing it would be for nufc. Cabella along with a CF would be a cracking transfer window.If we bring in 4 as quoted then even better

• 10 Transfer Sage // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Dannyo

You really trust talk sport? They are the media equivalent of joe kinnear

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Dannyo
    I think that’s very very harsh mate
    NUFC have never had a good record of bringing through youngsters don’t think this can be blamed solely on Pardew, especially when you look at the quality of the youth coming through, realistically we only have Dummett, Haidara, Bigi and Sammy who are really at level where they could impact the first team and all of them have been given chances
    The lads on loan are absolutely miles of the first team and tbh most them on loan will prob stay miles off the first team

• 12 Dannyo // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM

@Transfer Sage
    Trust talksport? Do click the link and listen before you judge man.
    Graham Carr is on it talking Tiote, HBA, Cabaye and Cisse. Jesus.

• 13 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Lads ffs your arguing over 800k!
    Mind you that’s prob about what cisse’s worth based on form ;)

• 14 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Dannyo…is he discussion Jesus as well?

…sorry couldn’t help it :) lol

• 15 Dannyo // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM

@Jazzyp
    Think you’re the one who needs to relax mate. All I did was say what the quoted price where.
    I’m not getting on the back of anyone, I just think it’s in the best interest for everyone when one is factual.
    You countered my comment and I retorted and just provided a link where you can listen on where it’s been said.
    What’s wrong with that?

If I had gotten out on the wrong side of bed, things wouldn’t be looking as dandy as my current comments.

• 16 Dannyo // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM

@Jesperfuglsang
    Haha, I knew I should’ve refrained from using that at the end :P

• 17 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Jazzyp…would be a great window if that happened; maybe I am just skeptical when it comes to Newcastle I just don’t see it happening!

…of course anything is possible:)

• 18 jazzyp // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Tads
    exactly pal. I come on here to have good banter not to get into stupid arguments over who is right and wrong. Where not in a playground and who gives a flying toss what he cost. I was merely stating that if Cisse was £9 mill then Cabella is a snip at £12 mill

• 19 Transfer Sage // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Dannyo

I was just joking pal, never meant to offend.

It’s a good interview with carr

• 20 Dannyo // Jan 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

@tads
    I’m aware of the history on bringing players through.
    That doesn’t mean that it’s not able to change, especially with the investment we’re seemingly putting into it.
    Several got their chance last year, but in the wrong scenario with the wrong timing, imo.
    Youngsters should always be guided through, but players like Dummett and Sammy, who are especially close these days, are barely making the bench at times.
    I don’t think that’s because they’re not good enough, I think that’s because AP opts for experience.
    And then, when we’re out of the rut, he doesn’t want to change a winning team.

• 21 theartfuldodger // Jan 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

You can literally predict the result during the game.

Eg When you see Mbiwas goalline clearance against tottenham you know they arent going to score.
    When Remy missed some sitters against southampton specially goalkeeper error it had a draw written all over.
    Or yesterday Cole and Carolls miss.

I know this is nothing new but lately it seems to be going right more often than wrong.

• 22 Lee Dodd // Jan 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Get Real Lads we all know that if he comes it is as replacement for Cabaye . Fat Mike is Pumping Money into Debenhams at the moment not The NUFC… End off ..

• 23 gazzaforever // Jan 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Cabella is not the same player as Cabaye at all, he can play CAM but most of the time, he s on a wing, think Eden Hazard, he’s that type of player,

previous post: Pardew Worried About Losing This Top Player