The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye Hopes For Champions League – With Newcastle

9:09 am, Monday, January 20th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 178 Comments

Yohan Cabaye has been interviewed today, and he seems upbeat and  happy at Newcastle, but of course if a big bid comes in from PSG this month, which is being reported in France, then Cabaye will be leaving Newcastle – if Mike Ashley accepts the bid.

yohan cabaye man united winner

Yohan Cabaye – happy at Newcastle

This is what the star of the show at West Ham on Saturday had to say today:

“If we can fight for something, why not? But we are just confident and thinking about the next game.” “We are in good shape.”

“Champions League is a bigger level, but I think we have the capacity to just stay next to the big teams. If we are still in a similar position by the end, why not?”

“I just want to improve every day and train well.”  “I stay every day after the training session, and I try to score with my free-kicks. I hope for the future that I score more free kicks.”

We could be wrong, but Champions League play seems a long way off for Newcastle at the moment.

But Yohan certainly has a good attitude, and he has improved a lot in the two and a half years he’s been on Tyneside.

Newcastle  signed him for the  €5M (£4.1M) buy-out clause in his contract from Lille in June of 2011, after he had helped his club win the French League by 8 points from second placed Marseilles.

That has  turned out to be a terrific deal for Newcastle United.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: European Champions League · European Competition · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

178 responses so far ↓

• 1 JDdubai // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM

If he stays then great. If he goes for good money to PSG for Champs League football then cant blame him. He is 28 and in his prime and should be in the champs League if we are fair.

Would be good to see his replacement in before he leaves though, so unlike us to be proactive…

• 2 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM

His freekick taking is excellent.

I’d be stopping back and taking free-kicks all the time as well if I was at the club.

He’s wasted, to an extent, further back in deep midfield. His shooting and passing are best suited in a more advanced position, but still in the midfield area.

• 3 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

JD

100% agree with that, all top players want top level football so if he goes for that fir play to him, we just need to make sure we get enough out of the deal that we at least stand still and not go backwards.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

TS,
    You talk about Man U selling Ronaldo but they clung on to him desperately before letting him go to his boyhood club and fulfilling a dream, the same with Arsenal and Fabregas, as has been mentioned before every PL player has a price, we seem to be the only club constantly harping on about losing players every window.

• 5 Black and White with an army lol // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM

if Cabaye want’s CL football PSG are the team to go too, i think we all respect that Cabaye want’s CL with Newcastle but we have the wrong Chairmen wrong Manager & wrong DOF for this to ever happen.

if any players want’s success this is the wrong club to be at

• 6 RonVanDam // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Laurent Robert 32

Its a shame bcos he’sbeen playing out of his skin lately, much better then his first season and 10x more then last. I wish MA would show a little bit more ambition and signs atleast 3 top players to make our push for top 4, maybe this could change cabayes mind and opts to stay with us beyond next season and extends his contract.

The problem is the club has a slow progressing limited ambition which may come right in 3-5 season, unfortunately time isnt on Cabayes side. It will be a shame to see him go unless we made him a offer he cannot refuse

• 7 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

JFA

true we do keep going on about it, but we don’t really sell many so not like we tout our own players around and then cash in on a couple every window, so it’s not a massive issue.

clubs know players are available regardless of what the manager says in the press

• 8 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Not 1 season under ashley have we had a squad we could all be satisfied with.

• 9 RonVanDam // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

HD

Its human nature to want what you dont have and not be satisfied with what you do have. Simple economics, wants > needs

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

It doesn’t matter when he is sold as he won’t be replaced this window, how long did we wait for a fourth CB, well a third CB considering STaylor was out for the season, and that was a position we were desperate for, we needed another ST before AC got sold, how long have we been waiting for the extra ST now, central midfield is not a position we are really short on, I don’t think he will be replaced at all.

• 11 Edd Case // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM

You can’t argue that Cabaye, Tiote, Hiadara, MYM, HBA, Sissoko, Gouffran and even Mike Williamson have all been really, really good deals for this club.

I’m really impressed with how the French players are settling in but BIG shout out to Iron Mike.
    I was a big critic of his last season but the lad’s really playing well this season so fair play to him.

If we can get in another creative player (Cabella), a new striker and (what I’d love to see) a new, young, British centre back to come through – I think we’re really in a good place for the remainder of this season and for next.

• 12 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM

RVD

Yes, but I do not think we have had what we have needed too.

• 13 sparky55 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM

worst case scenario is he won’t be replaced and Anita gets a game every week within a 4-4-2 formation…still not a disaster in my mind.

2nd worst case is he goes this week and we get Cabella in and he’s slowly introduced into the fold as we now have nothing to play for except a remote possibility of a Eufa cup place.

For those of you think Cabella is not Cabs replacement then you are of course wrong.

best scenario is cabs keeps his word and leaves in the summer but don’t see much point now to be honest and if we get what we want for him money wise then think he’ll go next week after the norwich game and he gets the chance to play CL this year as well as next year and that’s why IMO they’ll pay what we want for him to go now.

• 14 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I still just can’t see him going this window. Makes no sense to sell.

Let him go to the world cup, play well (which he does for france) and then there will be plenty clubs bidding for him

• 15 RonVanDam // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Few things we have improved from last year are:

Not sitting too deep and actually playing more attacking football with view to win.
    Less injuries – Obvious
    Players picked on form
    Players not played out of position

Things i like to see improve are:

Coaching
    Maximising player potential. It pains me to see Santon wasted at LB. He is a natural winger, stop comparing him to Maldini, its not doing anyone favors and play him in a position he’s suited for.

Tim Krul ball distribution is still shocking after 2.5 seasons. And don’t get me started on Cisse

Squad rotation esp during the festive season

• 16 Blofal // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM

If our wildest dreams come true:

Debuchy – Willo – Colo – Santon
    ——Cabaye ——– Tiote——
    —————Cabella———–
    —–Remy ———— Gouffran
    —————-DeJong————–\

Sub Options: Cisse, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Dummett, Haidara, Mbiwa, Saylor, Anita, Sammy

Not bad.

• 17 Blofal // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Oh and if West Ham get relegated Carroll surely would have buy out clause won’t he? Maybe 7 mill? I’d pay that for him for sure.

• 18 RonVanDam // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I dont think Cabella is a like for like replacement. I’d rather have him and cabaye in the team together.
    Cabella could occupy the number 10 role easily and supply more strike power upfront. He can be our Coutinho or Kawgawa, which ever way you look at it

• 19 martoon // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Markaccus from previous topic – yes DIY all done but now I’m stiff and can hardly move my arms – getting too old should have taken your advice yesterday GSETDI or whatever it was.
    Anyway to football – I accept Cabaye might leave but as has been said I fear we won’t replace him in the same window as we never have done in the past – we just don’t seem to have any contingency plans which I find staggering as they have the whole time the window is shut to line up possible replacements.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM

i’d play cabela more from the left, not a winger, just inside of that, gouff isn’t naturally a wide man and comes inside anyway.

cabaye needs to stay as the number 10, goals and assists galore when he is there, his best position by far.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM

sparky,
    He’s going anyway, not if but when, if we were in the same position as Spurs pushing for that fourth spot then it would be madness to let him go before the summer but as our season is effectively over and we’ll finish somewhere between 7-10th with or without our star player we might as well cash him in now and spend the money next summer rather than sell him in the summer and spend some of the money next January.

• 22 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Can’t see Cabaye going this window, if he leaves in the summer there’s very little we can do other than offer a great contract, but that’s the summer, just hope he carries on with this fantastic form he’s been one of the best in the league

3Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM

achtoon // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM

a quote from today’s papers ‘at times their imagination was sublime, their accuracy a thing of wonder’ and ‘they played their football in beguiling triangles; flitting into telling space working the ball reducing the opposition to a bewildered scamper’ yes this was about Newcastle and our ‘average’ manager. if some one had said 4 years ago that the papers were writing this kind of stuff about us you would be saying Yes please, i’ll have that manager. Fat sams only game plan was A.Carroll who misses a sitter and gave away the free kick for our third. Love it.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This is where Catchy and I part company as that description of triangles etc is what I’ve been crying out, ie passing football with the technical players we have and playing Cabaye in a free role.

I would never in a million years want dark age, negative hoofball Allardyce ahead of Pardew

I do recognise improvement when it happens and if we could now just add some consistency.. . . . . . . . !

Rotunda
    Great post, fully agree with this mate
    There have been huge signs of improvement, but we need that consistency!
    I don’t think many would really argue if i said we have seen some if the best football played at NUFC under Pardew for years but also seen some of the worst football played at NUFC for years under Pardew!
    We need to find that balance

• 23 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

jail

i think we’d get a lot more money in the summer, if he continues this form and keeps playing as well for france as he has

i’d not sell now for less than 35mil

• 24 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Ron Van Dam
    Defo distribution kicking – Sh**e
    I don’t know if you have noticed lately that Newcastle and Krul have changed their tact with Kruls distribution.
    The full backs defenders are coming short and wide to receive kick outs roll outs and building from the back.

• 25 jazzyp // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I dont understand people saying we wont be signing anyone this window,unless they have inside info. There is still 2 wk left yet and the signings last year didnt come in till the end of the window last year.
    Ts- may i ask why we wont sign a quality midfield player for a long time when there is chance on cabella

• 26 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Ron, he has been playing better, yes. I still think it’s because he knows he has to be on top form to get a top club in for him, plus the World Cup is a spur for him.

• 27 KevinHann // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Transfer Sage

I’m not so sure it makes little sense, mate. We don’t know what really happened in the last days of summer. I could imagine him having a conversation with the club telling them if another bid big enough comes in the next window he wants to leave, politely reminding he would be able to buy out his contract in the summer on the Webster rule unless we are close to CL. Then telling his agent to leak this info to the press come January to remind the club of his stance. He could even feel he’s doing the right thing for both the club and himself by allowing time and financial package for a suitable replacement to be signed while also giving his best for the team over the past half a year.

While I am not assuming all this is true it sounds a completely plausible explanation of what has been going on given the history of the player – and it is by far not the worst scenario for Newcastle!

I have expected Cabaye to be sold and thought we were lucky to keep him beyond last summer. On the other hand I am trying to be realistic and accept we are not going to reinforce the team unless a substantial sum comes from a sale of an important player. Once you are resigned to that instead of whining and complaining about ambition it’s easy to understand that is the way for a club like ours to progress.

I sincerely do not understand the ambition claims around here. The world does not revolve around Newcastle and the clubs we should comprehensively and consistently outperform to be “ambitious” are much, much well equipped financially than us. The Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool are way beyond our reach regardless of Sports Direct advertising and other controversies that keep mentioned as if they are the sole reason we aren’t competing. They aren’t. What we can do is stay solid, work gradually to our strengths and develop the team. This requires continuity and the current regime while flawed and neglecting communication with fans is doing a good job in bringing it. Our team is much stronger than it was when Pardew took over.

What I’d like to see is people realize we are complaining way too much about things that are relatively small issues in the world of football and acknowledge the good things we are experiencing as a club because there are plenty of them to be proud of. Only then can we have healthy discussions flowing good energy around – cause if that’s not what football is about I don’t know what it is.

• 28 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM

jazzy

i mean i don’t think we’ll have a player with the quality of cabaye, cabella seems good just not the same level as cabaye for me.

cabaye is world class, 28 so around the peak time now, can’t see us getting a player that good for ages….been a long time since we had one that good before.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

kevin

fair enough, never seen anyone use the webster ruling so not sure if a payer would really do that, nothing really happened with it before in the prem league as far as i remember

I’d still be demanding more than 25mil, he’s worth at least 10 mil more i’m sure.

• 30 KevinHann // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Transfer Sage

We will wait and see, if Cabaye is resigned to buying his contract out if we ruin his transfer by asking for more money we might not really have the leverage to demand a bigger fee. And he’d probably be correct in thinking and acting upon the understanding a bid of over 20 million pounds is more than suitable for an adequate replacement to be signed and represents even more than his true market value.

• 31 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

tads

I think your mad if you think that’s not what I want

I have said for a long time now cabaye should be playing much higher up the pitch

you can play all the pretty football you like in your half , it won’t score you goals,

if you think we are playing better , good for you,

but I’m not into the football that we play , I think we never will see the best of our goo players ,

we won 3-1 yesterday, looks good on paper, and I agree some of the football we played was good, but saying that a game if football lasts 90mins, and the second half we were shit , and they had some very good chances,

this is not made up, stats prove what I’m saying , we have the highest no of shots out side the 18Y box, the lowest inside the box, only 5 teams play less football in the other teams half
    Stoke
    Sunderland
    Cardiff and 2 more that I carnt remember offhand,

an for the last time, I don’t want SA back , I never said I did , what I said was I think SA is better than AP, at least his teams have a plan,

and please don’t say when they brought AC on they just lumped it to him, that’s exactly what pardew does with shola, lump it long

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Has everyone checked that afdah.com, unbelievable.

• 33 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Catchy
    ? When did I say that exactly? I was agreeing that there was definite signs of improvement under Pardew whether you acknowledge that or not is up to you mate

• 34 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM

It appears to me the deal for Cabaye is the cost of a replacement plus £15M, hence the bid for Cabella. PSG are probably mulling that over whilst looking at alternatives and waiting on Montpellier to stop crying over spilt milk.

• 35 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

REPOST

All players leave almost always by transfer. Cabaye will be sold. It’s not if but when. Now is probably the best time as he is at the top of his game and at the right age although will he be worth more after a good Workd Cup? That’s the gamble.

He has improved enormously because he has been in the Premiership and also because of the way Pardew plays him in an advanced role. He has benefited from having Tiote and latterly Anita behind him allowing him a free role to show his all round qualities.

The club’s plan was to sign players who would have a resale value and so it should be no surprise to see him sold for a substantial profit.

• 36 Our Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Lads I’ve been saying for a long time now that players will become disillusioned due to the lack of ambition we’ve shown. Players like Cabaye etc will not be around for steady progression, which means going backwards…..imagine what a couple of signings in the summer could have done!!

Ronaldo was sold as he didn’t want to sign a new contract, he also said it always rains in Manchester and wanted to move to Spain, man utd sold him for £80m, that’s more money than winning prem and CL….it’s what’s called a no brainer

It’s important to match the ambition of players, Remy would sign for us if we showed ambition to push for CL, instead we lose 2 players because we prefer mid table mediocrity

• 37 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

catchy in norway

When I read what you said it came across as you wanted to replace AP with AS. Where as I think you meant you approve of him more.

• 38 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Our Toon

Certainly is the case that the club is not moving towards CL as quickly as the player (and fans) would like. Which is why I think Ashley would preferably sell than invest significantly in the squad.

• 39 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

toonarmydownsouth

this is where im lost

where have we improved,,

keeping the ball in our own half? and that’s it,

we have a wonderful attack minded squad, that sits back, OC they can play good football, they all top intenationals,

my point is , not that the football hasn’t improved, what do we do with it?

like I said with the stats above,

bottom 5 in attacking the other team
    least amount of shots in the 18Y box
    most out of it

its like I said yesterday, keep as many behind the ball, play pretty passes going no where, and pot luck shots from 30 yards

simply not good enough for the players we have,,

I dare say it, you could manage the team with the players we have

• 40 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM

TS @ 29

I would say that Cabaye is worth more than £30M but it all depends on who is desperate enough now and willing to meet Newcastle’s evaluation.

ManU could do with him but they like us look unlikely to qualify for the Champions League. He wants, and deserves, Champions League and as such his options are limited so if PSG come calling then he will probably go.

• 41 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM

70/2

well that’s not what I said,

just because you rate something/someone higher, don’t mean you want it,

we all have standards,

• 42 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Very tactful words from the lad. Of course he harbours the ambition to play ECL among the big the as do all fans of Newcastle United.

However and being realistic, Ashley’s preparing the club to be a good buy for another owner and thus won’t be spending enough to get the players and management to get us there.

So, unless a buyer who has the wherewithal and ambition to take us to a level where we’re competing for and in the ECL,the Cabs is away.

He has been a great professional and all fans will sorry to see him go, understand his motivation and wish him well.

Let’s hope we get an owner that’ll take Newcastle United to the ECL and we may well see him at SJP playing in an ECL tie.

• 43 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Slank

man u could do with a few of our players,

• 44 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Catchy

As you know I have very well documented opinions on Pardew. However, for me Allardyce makes Pardew look like watching Brazil by comparison.

Fat Sham is the high priest of negative, worry about the opposition, containing, hoof, nick a goal football.

For me Pardew is an enigma. When he sets us up with Cabaye playing in an advanced role and Tiote and Anita holding the fort, we look a completely different outfit.

But you can never legislate for when Pardew will do something fatally daft and that is why consistency is so elusive for us.

Before Saturday against a truly awful team, we had 4 defeats and 1 goal scored.

As sage says there is incremental improvement with Pardew this season and for that I’m grateful.

Not sure how valid the Europa league excuse was as Spurs don’t seem to have a problem with it, even if Swansea apparently do.

For every pro there is a con with Pardew. It’s so frustrating because when he get it right you get a glimpse of what could really be special before he hits the self-destruct button again. It’s like he has a good and bad angel on his shoulders.

• 45 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

lesh

good post

well said

• 46 Whumpie // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Makes no sense from Cab’s point of view to go now. He’s highly unlikely to increase his WC chances if he moves now but he could easily scupper them.
    Best for us and him to wait till summer – ideally with Cabella in now to bed in – and then everyone can make an informed decision. With Cabella and Do Jong we may look more like a CL team for next season.

• 47 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

catchy

we haven’t had the least shots in the 18 yard box, we have had the lowest % of total shots in the box, there is a difference.

i do see the point though but yesterday in the first half we have seen what we can do with pardew, we just need that consistently

• 48 Our Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM

We will invest some of the cash but not all

• 49 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

cabaye will be at the world cup even if he loses form the next 3 months, he is a starter for them and they won’t drop him.

• 50 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Rotonda heights

well you rate pardew better than SHAM, but there both poor managers that i would not at my club

we have had one, and still got one , :(

on the Swansea front, i just don’t buy it,

they finished 9th last year, and are 15th right now, i never hear him complain about things, yet he has been without his main strike force for large chunks this season,

my point i guess is , they did not pull any trees last year, 9th is an average place for there average squad,

• 51 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

catchy in norway

I am glad we have established your standards are better than Allardyce. I would disagree that he is better than AP as he has shown the ability to adapt and change according to the players available and the opposition. The ‘identity’ you suggest of AS teams is a singular style of play that restricts players natural talents. An accusation I would equally make about AP but applies more so to Alladyce.

The fact that most of our shots come from outside the box (except 2 at WHU) is true but we are 8th (GD 4) and only play one striker most of the time. So AP must be doing something right.

• 52 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Transfer Sage

lol

come on, you new what i ment

and like i said,, show me a full 90 mins of good football from our team,

its not very often we come out and have a great or even good second half, so he is saying or doing something at half time,

we all know the players are very capable of more,

still way to much individual bits of skill for me, and that’s what keeps us up there,

not tactics

and TS i know you know this, cos you look at the same things i do

• 53 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

70TWO

simple questions

do you think we are getting full use out of our first team, or do you think they have more to give ?

do you think we use our squad right

• 54 Our Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Percy tried to play his brand of football last season and he failed big time, remember big Sam has final say on who he wants, if Carr was at west ham they would change the style of football!! Big Sam changed his style when he had djorkeff and jay jay ocacha in his team!! There really isn’t much difference in both managers they are both poor!!

• 55 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Rotonda heights @44

very good

• 56 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

catchy

I know it sound like i’m being picky but there is a difference, without looking at total shots for all teams and working out chances i’d say although we have fewest in 6 yard box in terms of % i don’t think it will be lowest in terms of total chances.

We do need to get more players forward so we have options for the pass/cross in the final third instead of the long shot, but i do think we did that in the first half.

Subbing anita was a mistake for me, we are a lot better with those 3 in midfield which shows we need another player in there.

We also need a striker and another wide player or two.

I think pardew could do better but i do see steady improvment in play but still not enough improvemen in consistently playing attacking football, which is when we look best

• 57 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

catchy in norway

I am not answering those questions because that is moving beyond the point of discussion which was AP / AS. Are you happy to acknowledge that you may have been slightly miss leading?

• 58 shearer and the duchess // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

By jove that Mr Cabaye is showing his worth these days. He’s been influential this season. He can’t be blamed for wanting Champions League football. He’s good enough but Newcastle Ubited aren’t.

We can never expect Champuons league football under Mr Ashley’s transfer policy.

Mr Pardew is showing his pedigree and it must be choking those rotters who constantly call for his sacking.

• 59 Scottiedog // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM

IMO I think Cabaye will go to PSG in the summer but PSG are worried that if he has a good world cup his value could double hence why they want him now. Cabella could be great signing in a Hazard kind of way.

• 60 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

scottiedog

PSG have money to burn. Doubt they’ll be fussed on saving a few mill.

• 61 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM

70TWO

Cheers

• 62 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

The match at West Ham should be another lesson learned for AP, but I doubt it. We were totally dominating them in the first half and to counter a potential resurgence he must have instructed the team to sit back. Otherwise I can not explain the lack of pressing in the oppositions half after the break.

As a solution to having to play on the back foot AP replaced Anita with Shola to hold the ball up front, when actually it was because Remy was wasteful with possession. This was then ‘remedied’ (ha ha) by replacing him with HBA and re-establishing an attacking midfileder that had been so succesful in the first half.

Why we could not play 90 minutes straight through against a poor side without changing things drastically, I do not know.

• 63 martoon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Catchy – I understand you were not saying you want Big Sam back but I don’t think many people on here would agree that he is a better manager than Pardew.
    Your comment @31 – I don’t think we were sh*t in the second half more like West Ham greatly improved and applied some pressure as you would expect a home team to do. There are 2 teams in a game and you can’t always execrcise complete control but we still carved out some chances. I would agree we were lucky with their missed chances but maybe that made up for no luck against Man City or even Arsenal.

• 64 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

rotonda

the high priest of negativity haha – the guru of hoofball? :-)

• 65 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Scottie @ 59

Yes, that’s my reading of the situation, although I think they can afford a few bob or two. I’m sure PSG would like him now to secure a place in next years Champions League.

• 66 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

martoon

west ham definitely improved 2nd half but we also faded and couldn’t get a grip of the game, I think that’s down to anita going off…he was very good in the first half, getting in advanced positions as well.

We do need to find a better way to keep our levels higher for 90 mins.

• 67 Ginger // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I think everybody in the Top 5 are better teams then us. So I don’t think we’ll get Top 4 unless we’re a mixture of luck and the other teams are unlucky.

I think realistically we’re in a battle for the sixth Spot, between us, Man U, Everton and Southampton. Out of the four I honestly couldn’t say who the best team is, we’re rather equal. Everton currently have five points on us which will be hard to catch up with as they’re a good side and will win many games.

We could attempt to take over Spurs and sneak into the fourth spot but they look one hell of a team now.

Realistically with this I think at a we should be achieving Top 8 which we are and a great season would be 6th/Top 6.

• 68 Whumpie // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I’m really glad the Chronical did their survey. At least now we know that the anti-Pardew crew are just a small but vociferous minority. (Who create some good banter)

Personally I think we’re paying or beat footie since SBR. Not bad for a club making a profit :)

But the time has come for Ashley to make that final leap to the top table. Just two good players could do it, and we’d suddenly be a much better prospect for players like Cabaye, Remy and Cabella.

• 69 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM

This article shows that it is natural to discuss the comparison between AP / SA as they are not to far apart. However, one is slowly on the up and the other is firmly in a downward trajectory. I think Allardyce knew this before taking the WHU job and will be looking forward to another pay off, despite his ‘poor me’ excuses.

• 70 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

if cabs goes cabella will be bought if he doesnt he wont be thats the it looks surely if no one is bought you have to wonder if the players will start to think whats the point of putting any effort in

• 71 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

If Cabaye leaves this January who will replace him in the number 10 position, assuming no like for like replacement, as I cannot see Pardew changing the current formation?

I’ve always thought that Ben Arfa could play that position. His weakness at tackling would be covered by Tiote and Anita. Whilst he hasn’t got the range or vision of passing like Cabaye his ability to get past his man (men) and cause disruption in an opponents defence is an asset that few in the Premier League have.

• 72 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM

slank

benny thinks passing is the work of the devil

• 73 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM

70TWO @ 69

The ironic thing about Fat Sam is that he is probably the first manager many clubs think of to get them out of trouble. If West Ham stay up I cannot see him staying. The big boot beckons!

• 74 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Ginger

I would fancy the wheels to come off at Spurs and for Sherwood to have to deal with a few injuries like AP had last season. 4th spot is between Liv / Evt and we are in group of 4 teams for 6th place.

• 75 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM

slank

i think ben arfa would do ok there but he would need to improve his decision making

• 76 shearer and the duchess // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

@Mr 70Two,
    I don’t know if you realised my good fellow but the black n white chappies won and we are sitting handsomely in 8th place.

Every game can’t be perfect. We can’t expect to dominate games for 90 mins. We won 3-1 away. Come on chap, get a bloody grip of your negativity.

Be positive like Mr Whumpie. Now he makes a very good point.

• 77 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

wolf @ 72 – lol

HBA should be an established player in the team, there are reasons from player and manager why this is not the case. What they do on training field is beyond me, does HBA have a note from his Mum excusing him from 5-a-side passing practice?

• 78 martoon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM

70TWO @69 Good article and interesting comment from Graeme Murty about drills and honesty – completely the opposite of what the Pardew haters say about him on here.

• 79 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Ginger @ 67

I cannot see Southampton pipping us unless they get a second wind. I also think the skids are under ManU. Everton look strong and I don’t see them falling away. Spurs appear to be revitalised.

What is interesting is how far Swansea have sunk. They are almost in the same position as we were last season in the Premiership. It looks like the Europa League curse.

• 80 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Good posts from everyone this morning

• 81 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

yes but they make him play anyway in his underpants ;-)

• 82 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

shearer and the duchess

It is the natural frustration of every football supporter.

In the face of a 3 -1 win I have tried to hold back my negativity and will very much look forward to more of the same at Norwich where we will again be given the same time and space. Hopefully we will not see Shola moving like a container ship (and looking excellent) but HBA putting on a performance that gets him a mega transfer before the window closes.

• 83 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

TS @ 75

Yes, his major failing is his decision making. I’m sure coaching would correct this if he was told that he had the number 10 shirt.

• 84 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM

it also seems that everton have got lacana traore, after west ham applied for his work permit he rejected them and is on his way to everton for a medical.

• 85 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

70/2

my post from yesterday

please tell me how this is misleading

catchy in norway // Jan 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

danyo

are you kidding ?

also reading your post about kids

no kids get a fair chance under pardew, and that also goes for a lot of posters on here,

pardew is not a manager that instills confidence in the kids, infact i think its the other way, they get to the bench, they get a few games, there feeling high, bang then there dropped for no reason

kids with promise,
    vucic
    fergy
    biggi
    campbell
    Mehdi Abeid
    sam bambi

for what ever reason, pardew has lost faith in these kids and all ov them have something about there games that could add to our squad, and be better options for a sub than shola, obertan and a few others

it seems pardew wants finished players, and can not develop anyone,

who has became a better player under pardew???

• 86 bri h // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

this link shows just how much better off this season we are .It took us 33 games last season to get to our current points tally.

• 87 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

70/2

how is this misleading

id swap big sam for pardew any day of the week,

and in no way am i saying sam is the answer for me, but sam has his teams set up much better than pardew

• 88 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

interesting quote from jose he says he still thinks of sbr as his boss watching over him and if chelsea sacked him he would look for a new challenge in england

• 89 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM

martoon

That would be me – not a hater, but a frustrated questioner like plenty of others. It is like throwing a slice of bread in the air, with AP you don’t know if it will land jam up or jam down. You would be happy to eat it jam up and ignore any disappointment.

• 90 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM

its funny reading southern journos saying we are a powerful side who play fast passing footy and are great to watch then you come on here…

• 91 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

slank

very difficult to coach decision making into somebody, it’s a split second thing that comes natural to a lot, can improve it though with practice.

• 92 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Transfer Sage

ok

so would you agree, that keeping the ball and looking good does nothing,

this is where we have improved,,

• 93 GenralHez // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

A little off topic.
    We need to get rid of the weak players that are not good enough for the premiership; i.e. S. Taylor (gave away another goal and is a liability with his arm flapping about), Obertran, Cissi (both could be used as pert exchange), and buy quality replacements.

• 94 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM

catchy

i don’t think those kids are good enough to play for newcastle. The only one of those I find odd is sammy who looked ok in the odd game at the start of the season but now is behind obertan.

campbell has potential but this loan now is right for him

the rest are not doing that well at lower league clubs

• 95 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM

catchy

id rather read this from an ex player than your biased shite http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2542283/MAD-DOG-ON-MONDAY-Cabaye-Newcastles-main-man-Kidderminster-careful-FA-Cup-tickets.html

• 96 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM

catchy

I think keeping the ball is always good, better if you do something with it but when you have it it’s less time for the opposition to use it to score.

I think our attacking play is improving, just not consistently, yesterday in the first half it was great I thought, good runs, plenty forward, clever passing, bodies in the box….but i don’t think we do it often enough.

Hopefully we can start doing more consistently.

• 97 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

catchy in norway

You are honestly saying you would ‘swap’?
    Even tho from past experience we know what SA would bring to the club?
    Your arguments about shots and youth development are opinion that can be countered. Without the use of Allardyce as an example, your opinion would have stronger validity.
    When Allardyce was in contention for the England job he was at his peak with an average Bolton team and I considered him a strong possibility. But not now and whilst you state that niether are any good you continue to argue for SA. I hope your DIY is more straight forward.

• 98 low fell mag // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Catchy that glue in Norway must be good gear.
    Big Sam is a dinosaur ,should have went out with the Dodos . mammoths and the Sabre toothed tigers.
    The premiership has evolved . Fat Sam should be put down for the sake of everybody!

• 99 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Just after sam was sacked from nufc, a lad in westmoor club saw him on tv, he was punditing on a fizzy league match. When he saw him, he said “whats he doing on there? He’s just a fat idiot.”

Not the most creative of comments, but it summed up the general consensus of opinion in the bar at the time.

• 100 Graeme // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Wolfs @ 88 – Dont even think about it mate, not even in your wildest dreams or hopes would our Illustrious Owner contemplate a manager like Jose.

Never, Ever. Unfortunately!!

• 101 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Wolf @ 95

Very flattering article. Nearly all media pundits think Newcastle are a very good side when they have all their first 11 playing. They also think Pardew is a very good manager. It seems only some newcastle fans think otherwise.

Against Norwich we should have Debuchy back who IMHO we have missed. He us a real rough tough individual but skilful too and who enhances our attacking options.

• 102 jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Actually content that Pardew is the best choice for us at the moment! Pocchetino and Laudrup have far more control and spent much more than pardew yet he is out performing them! Pocchetino in particular is getting the fruits of a youth system and players that Pardew actually helped develop!
    Our problem is we lack quality in certain areas ir: upfront! If we add de jong and cabella and no1 leaves i think we will be quite formidable

• 103 Jay K // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Transfer Sage

When you speaking with your friend.

Cheers

• 104 cyprus // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Transfer,
    Yes, but, what if he fails at the World Cup and his value goes down? French teams have been known to do that.

If a crazy offer comes in, sell, sell. He’s good, but not as good as we (and others, admittedly) think he is. Dangerous tackler, not fast, can’t dribble much at all, wants out- Of course, he can pass (when he wants), he has vision, he can score, all very important attributes. Just pointing out that there are better MF out there.

• 105 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Joey Barton made some good comments on twitter last night.

In England we have a habbut of giving managers jobs to ex pro’s who aren’t coaches and leave all that to others.

He was praising spurs for going with sherwood as he is a coach and can improve players, not just manage them and leave that to other coaches.

• 106 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Joe kinnear has a new word for ambition

attrition

• 107 jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Absolutely mad that this blog is having an Allardyce or Pardew debate…
    allardyce was The worst manager we’ve had since Ardiles! The football was worse than under gullit or dalglish or even JFK! He was sacked predominantly because we drew 0-0 at stoke(when they wrre in the championship) and were hammered throughout the game and then big sam said we were unlucky snd the better team even tho we didn’t have a shot on goal and stoke had 12! Got it on good authority from a stoke director that Mike Ashley was laughed out of the stoke directors box after that interview , peter coates really too the piss and SA was sacked the following day

• 108 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM

jay k

going out for something to eat tonight and a couple drinks, so probably not be on til later tonight, 8/9ish

cyrpus

i still think we should be in no rush to sell, he is a very big player for us and has upped his game massively this past 2 months.

I don’t think his value would drop even after a bad world cup, but if it did and the clubs wouldn’t pay for him we might be able to convince him to sign a new contract.

• 109 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM

allerdyce is a washed up has been

had some succes with bolton, did very well and used players like jay jay okocha well but since then he has gone even more to long ball and not even doing it well anymore.

his day has come and gone, he won’t manage in the prem league after this season again

• 110 shearer and the duchess // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I’m overjoyed with our points total, style of play and Pards stuffing up his critics. Jolly good show all round.

If only Mr Ashley was more ambitious then we could break into a Europa spot regularly. We aren’t far away and if he spent the profits he’s made from outgoing transfers since he arrived then the stadium might actually fill up regularly.

That man is a bloody rotter. We are in line to be in profit by £10-£20m by the end of this season and that’s without the sale of Cabaye.

Well done Mr Pardew.

• 111 Crawfordladd17 // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM

11Edd Case
    A big British CB, I think we were linked with a Lascelles from Nottingham Forest, Maguire from Sheiffield United and Moore from Leicester they are meant to be good, and they would cost like £3m which is cheap for an English young that is highly rated. The only good players that were cheap for good young English players I can think off are Redmond who I wish Newcastle bought for £2m and Lowton for £3m from Aston Villa, I think Sam Byram would be a good player.

• 112 jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Also, not going to defend Kinnear, i’d be on a hiding to nothing! But i never see it mentioned here that Kinnear has taken on many freelance scouts , creating a much bigger scouting network that wasn’t there before to scout youngsters in Northumberland. Because of this NUFC have looked and given trials to alot more young age group kids.
    Hes also added scouts for scouting the english non leagues for young talent, again something we haven’t done before.
    Hes done nothing for the first team, but that doesn’t mean hes done nothing for the club! A director of footballs duties at a club extend beyond the first team

• 113 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

low fell

along with pardew

there both the same , at least Sam don’t try and hide it by saying my teams play on the front foot,

pardew talks utter crap for the most part

and only dum idiots believe him

• 114 jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Lol s bit of kinnear being actually competent has broken the blog ….

• 115 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM

107jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM

you do know that Percy got taught 2 football lessons by Brighton , 2 divisions below us
    just for good luck, poyet also beat us with Sunderland , who were bottom on the league

• 116 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM

jayphoto

that’s good news, something we don’t often hear of. I know from my friend that last year we had scout(s) in south America looking for players.

It’s important we look for more talent, especially seeing as we won’t spend big, got to follow the dortmund model.

• 117 low fell mag // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Slank @ 101
    we do have a very good team and when we have our best 11 players on the pitch .we have shown we are a match for most teams.
    On this blog there are quite a few negative people and their negative words have blown up in their face.
    Earlier on in the season ,bloggers were asked on this site as where they thought our team would fare in the premiership this year.
    A few so called people had us to be relegated, more had the team to be in the bottom ten .
    This team have already won six away games .
    Not bad for a crap team and manager.

• 118 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Lowell

if that was aimed at me , well your way of the mark

I really don’t care what people say , but I think we are a top six squad,

I think Percy has lost us more points from good positions than he has won us from bad ones

take the individual skill goals away, we would be up shit creek right now

• 119 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Before yesterday I was with Catchy that Sam was better than Percy.

But I realised it was my hatred for percy that had clouded my judgement.

Pardew is bad, Rank Bad.

However comparing Pardew to Dinosaurs is insulting. To dinosaurs of course.

Pardew out ASAP.

• 120 low fell mag // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Fat Sam ,the next Sunderland maager.
    If Carlsberg made Mackem managers

• 121 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

TS

it’s Pardews job to make the kids better is it not, at some point he thought they were good enough for the bench, then dropped them like a hot potato

then keeps obertan , who has less skill than any of them here, and still gets game time

go figure hmmm

• 122 jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

@catchy – difference between allardyce and pardew is that Pardew actually strives to improve! We’re better this season than last, and id argue that we’re playing better football than when we came 5th!
    Allardyce had 20m to spend in the summer and Pardew had 0! Pardew has also had his star striker and figurehead sold from under him twice in carroll and Ba! I think Allardyce is too arrogant to realise the game has changed and that he needs to change with it whereas Pardew seems to have changed in philosophy!
    Not saying im pro pardew, there are much better managers out there but would they work under Ashleys conditions for pardews wage?
    When it comes to better the devil you know, ive known Allardyce as nufc manager and hes the worst manager ive seen in 30 years at toon!

• 123 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Catchy

WTF

0/10 for spellings

• 124 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM

haha

HD

you as well

omg ;)

• 125 Taff the Mag // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Catchy
    You would swap Pardew for big Sam, you,re having a giraffe mate, Sam sets his team up better then Pards, is that why the Hammers are in the bottom three, our 8th position must be giving you grief.

• 126 jayphoto // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Think we are a top 6 starting 11 but a top 8/9 squad. our attacking options outside the starting 11 in the squad are bare minimal after HBA!
    Could name cisse i suppose but hes shown nothing in 18 months now

• 127 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM

catchy

sorry.

• 128 Slank // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Low Fell @ 117

Totally agree with you. At the start of the season I thought we might finish in the top ten, possibly about 8th. I wish I had put money on it!

I just wonder whether blogs provide the negative fans their voice because nobody else listens to their tripe. The size of the crowds at SJP would suggest that the fans are still optimistic. Yes they have their gripes but nothing is perfect unless of course one is of the moaning minority who are never happy and will never be happy.

• 129 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM

catchy

pardews first job is to get the team winning games, in a style what best suits them….we lack consistency but he is improving, even if slowly as we do play very good football at times.

With the kids he has given some a go, fergie had a go then went on loan as not good enough, same with sammy then was brought in this year but didn’t stand out (although better than obertan, not much though), bigi is good but not better than what we have in there (better than gosling who gets some bench time) but the rest aren’t ready.

He could have done a little more with campbell last year but we were so poor it would be difficult for him to make any impact in that side.

• 130 low fell mag // Jan 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Catchy ,that was not aimed at you , I haven’t a clue what your prediction was.
    I know you rate our team ,but not our manager.
    I know we could do better than Pardew ,but at this moment ,who is out there.
    What I can say is that ,under Fat Sam I nearly through my season ticket in, as it was the worst football I have seen Newcastle play since the turn of the premiership.
    Absoultely atrocious

• 131 welshgeordie9 // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I still don’t think we will sign anybody this window.

• 132 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I am with welsh geordie

• 133 belgrade fan // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM

We ll sign nobody- Maybe De Jong on loan. 1st- our owner watch as as a company and now we r in ideal spot for him. 2nd- JK CAN NOT sign a player. And this window will finally show to all of you that MA is just waiting Rangers to return in SPL

• 134 Ian Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Slank – I think you might have hit on it- spot on. The negativity spouted on here would just not be heard at games or on route to and from games. The support on Saturday from the toon army was really something exceeding the Villa game. The sense of euphoria and noise when Cabaye scored his second ( our third goal) saw the fans as one totally savouring the moment. As one lady behind me jokingly said what a shame that some fans peaked too soon – as we surveyed a couple of fans slumped over their seats overcome by the drink. Humour as well as we joked with the WHU ground staff mowing the pitch in front of uses we hung around enjoying the moment – for those who were there you will recall the Geordie humour all the better for a real professional performance.

The pick were Cabaye, Tiote , Sissoko , Gouffy . Not forgetting man mountain Mike on route to Brazil what a force to be reckoned with. Cabaye had shown in the pre match , Carver led shooting drills when he scored 4 attempts on the spin in the corner of the goal that he was up for it. Contrast HBA who was chatting on the half way line before being summoned by Carver to join in who put the attempts I watched wide of the goal. Additionally it was very noticeable( at least to me) that Cabaye spoke to him about his attitude.

Youth cup tonight at SJP against the mackems.
    I see that Munster Mag was on the ball with his comments on WHU and their fans comments post match saying just the opposite of Catchy. Both before and after the game there was talk of wanting to get rid of Sam for a manager wanting to play our brand of football.
    Fat Sam . Our style of football is light years advanced in comparison.
    What was the point of bringing on Morrison at half time if you continue with the same game plan of launching balls into the box.

• 135 Ciaran // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM

And if you believe that you will believe anything.

• 136 Ian Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Mention of negativity and Whoosh! It’s mad Mick- LOL

• 137 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Right. What has the debate moved on to since i last looked…..?

• 138 corkypants85 // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM

My opinion on Cabaye is if the money is good enough take it cabaye is 28 he is only going to decrease in value, he is a great player though and I would be sad to see him leave!!!

My opinion on Pardew or big sam is pardew hate him or love him has done a good job with us, im not pro Pardew but I don’t hate him either he has done OK. I’m not blind i can see there are better managers out there but who is saying if pardew went ashley would get one of them.

My opinion on the transfer window I think we will do some business think maybe cabella and then de jong on loan and thats it but i think i would be happy at that.

• 139 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Oh i see. It hasnt moved. :(

• 140 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Corky

I would like centre back too. We are down to 3 and Taylor can get injured or get himself a red card at any given moment

• 141 corkypants85 // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Markaccus Yeah but cant see it happening were we not linked with some young french lad

• 142 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Ian Toon

Interesting to hear the HBA / Cabaye interaction. From the TV it looked to me that Cabaye did not celebrate his goals in front of Toon fans, am I correct or was this not deliberate?

• 143 martoon // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Markaccus we are still on the Catchy prefers Pardew to Sam debate.
    Ian Toon @134 – good post – I bet the atmosphere was fantastic, nothing better than seeing the Toon win away. Some of the so called fans on here want to try it sometime.

• 144 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Corky

I think a richer club wanted him, so we were instantly screwed :D

Martoon

Yeah i spotted that. I am just keeping out of all catchy related discussions now, they are in essence pointless :D

• 145 Ian Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM

martoon- Quite a contrasting mood from last season when the game was boring but we got a point. The ” your going down with the mackems” rang true. The happy ammers were woeful whilst our passing and movement excellent. We should have been out of sight at half time. We could do with a quality ST because Remy appeared leaden footed in the second half. Chelsea lose Torres and they have Ba stepping up.

We are a team of passers and movers with Cabaye inspiring and orchestrating . It was one of his best games since Stoke at home a couple of seasons ago. He can play a number of different roles in midfield depending on the state of the game. WHU had spirit but little else. Andy looked as if he needs a month of training before he will have any impact. Defensively like us they were weakened but looked it!

• 146 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM

martoon

ther both shit, doing shit jobs,,

both should do a lot better than they are

• 147 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

has anyone noticed how well aitor karanka is doing at boro, he has a chance to get them n the play offs, been great since he came in, won all but one in the league.

hope they come back up, another north east team in the league is welcome

• 148 Ian Toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

70Two – I have to say I didn’t notice what celebration there was on the field because everyone was jumping around in the crowd for sometime. At the end Cabaye came over to the fans and was picked up by Tim Krul followed by John Carver waving and going potty in front of us. The atmosphere was tense towards the end of the game but there was an ecstatic mood at the final whistle. I enjoyed it more than most away games.

On Cabaye throughout the game the Cabaye ( don’t sell) was being sung . He would be a hell of a loss because he’s so influential. Many were speculating but nothing learnt of real interest beyond the media guessing.

• 149 Thump // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’d love for Cabaye to stay, but if he wanted to further his career with a (begrudgingly) bigger team, we shouldn’t stand in his way. He’s been more loyal than most and we’ll easily make a profit on him.

I just wish we could match his ambitions. Guess I’m in stage 7… acceptance.

• 150 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM

ian

I’d rather keep him for 2 years and lose him for free, that’s how important he is, I always worry the money off the sale won’t be reinvested in the same level of player as he is out best CM for many a year

• 151 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Has anyone seen on the chron that HBA has been granted a leave if absence and has not gone to the Abu Dhabi training camp?

I know people would love to blame Pardew for HBA’s season but is possible there is something going on with Hatem that’s effecting him this season?

• 152 catchy in norway // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

just a little info

gus poyet

at sunderland, has a 42% win rate from 19 games

we are both the same form in the last 6 games with 9 points

whats the betting sunderland do the double over us

• 153 NEoffers.co.uk // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

3x 60 Minute Driving Lessons – ONLY £10 (usually £60)

Get 83% OFF !!
    With most of the North East covered make sure you don’t miss out.. get your voucher now.

• 154 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

tads

I read that this morning, unsure what could be going on there. It could well be causing him problems though.

• 155 Thump // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

@toonarmydownsouth: The lad is a mystery. He has all the ability to be a top player but he just can’t bring himself to do it. I think the whole affair with Dechamps affected his confidence and he hasn’t quite been able to get it back. Just speculation, mind you.

• 156 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Tads

I knew he hadnt gone to abbadabbadibbadobbadooby, not sure why though

• 157 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

catchy

that’s due to poyet being a very good manager, one who will go far in my opinion, liked the mans work now for years. Excellent coach, not just a manager.

He has them playing some nice stuff, still a shambles of a team though, but given better players he will get them to kick on.

He is also a big name in football so will have plenty connections in good clubs and people who want to work for him.

• 158 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Sage/Thump/Markaccus
    There’s definitely something going on like, i mean out of all the squad It would be fair to say that the one who need to go on a camp to improve there conditioning would probably be are little mercurial chubbster!
    I think given the fact this is a break away, at a training camp for a few days solid with the gaffer it would be an opportunity for some of the fringe lads to really try and impress so imo to pass that over and request a leave of absence suggests something non football related is happening with Benny
    Not saying it’s something sinister or he’s forcing a move like, just saying there’s more to it this season than simply “he’s been Pardewed and doesn’t track back”

• 159 manni // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Watch “Moritz Leitner – Best Of – VfB Stuttgart 2013 | HD” on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdGhQ_nRgIA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This guy is the New Cabaye, he is at dormund now,brilliant vision,a tackler,pace,power,both footed.

• 160 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Lmao @ mercurial chubster!

• 161 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Catchy
    There’s under one % in Poyet’s and Pardew’s career win percentages, keeping in mind Pardew has managed a lot more games in the top flight it really doesn’t back up your arguement

If you prefer his style that’s fine, but don’t try to manipulate stats in to backing your point

• 162 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Well said NEoffers.co.uk. Best post I’ve read on here in ages.

• 163 70TWO // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

We are far from being a bad team and will not become a bad team when Cabaye leaves. We have become very reliant on his contribution in the middle and his class shines in contrast to the players around him. If the club are not going to add the quality of player required to be challenging for the CL then Cabaye has every right to to seek a move away. It has been great to see such a talent, the team will continue without him and hopefully we may unearth some one even better.

• 164 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Belfast

You should have been here on saturday when he offered laser teeth whitening. Wow. Just wow!

• 165 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I didn’t even know lasers HAD teeth!

• 166 martoon // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Catchy @152 – You really do twist stats to suit your argument. We all know we’ve had poor results recently (but we have faced City and Arsenal in the last 3 games) so obviously we will not compare favourably. What about comparing 6 games from our 7 game streak how do we compare then? The only stat that counts is after 38 games – number of points and league position – last year we were about the same – this year we are streets ahead.

• 167 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I hope if he leaves he goes to Psg and not Man United or Arsenal. Basically don’t want to see him playing in the same league lol

• 168 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Haha I always enjoy his posts like. Always talks sense ;)

• 169 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Markaccus
    Oh aye, lasers have loads of teeth, but they scorch easily, that’s why you need to keep getting them whitened

• 170 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM

You got any G star coats NEoffers.co.uk ?

• 171 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Belfast
    It would horrible seeing him at the Manc’s, he’d have to improve his diving first though

• 172 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Always wanted an electric toothbrush as well. If you can get any of them give us a shout.

• 173 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Ah thanks for showing me the LIGHT!

badum tssss. Thankyou i am here all week

• 174 Markaccus // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Hey. I can fall over for only 20grand a week. Wonder if they will sign me!

• 175 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Aye I wouldn’t like to see him playing for them lot like. You’d just end up hating him lol

Goes to Psg and I’ll admire him on Bt sport

• 176 martoon // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

toonarmydownsouth @158 – Wasn’t he involved in a libel action with some French actress – I wonder whether it’s something to do with that? Of course it could have been resolved and not reported.
    The NE offers driving lessons are in the local park and bring your own clubs :)

• 177 Belfast // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Bet you you turn up for your driving lessons, And find him sitting in the car park in a three wheeler. Green three wheeler with blue doors. :)

• 178 toonicle // Jan 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

A few of the teams above us right now are not exactly what I’d call “consistent”. Man City plays poorly away from home, Chelsea are still on their way to finding consistency, Liverpool dropped points this weekend… We string together some good games I don’t see why CL can’t happen.

previous post: Newcastle Still Hope To Sign Loic Remy On Permanent Deal