Cabaye Hopes For Champions League – With Newcastle

Yohan Cabaye has been interviewed today, and he seems upbeat and  happy at Newcastle, but of course if a big bid comes in from PSG this month, which is being reported in France, then Cabaye will be leaving Newcastle – if Mike Ashley accepts the bid.

yohan cabaye man united winner

Yohan Cabaye – happy at Newcastle

This is what the star of the show at West Ham on Saturday had to say today:

“If we can fight for something, why not? But we are just confident and thinking about the next game.” “We are in good shape.”

“Champions League is a bigger level, but I think we have the capacity to just stay next to the big teams. If we are still in a similar position by the end, why not?”

“I just want to improve every day and train well.”  “I stay every day after the training session, and I try to score with my free-kicks. I hope for the future that I score more free kicks.”

We could be wrong, but Champions League play seems a long way off for Newcastle at the moment.

But Yohan certainly has a good attitude, and he has improved a lot in the two and a half years he’s been on Tyneside.

Newcastle  signed him for the  €5M (£4.1M) buy-out clause in his contract from Lille in June of 2011, after he had helped his club win the French League by 8 points from second placed Marseilles.

That has  turned out to be a terrific deal for Newcastle United.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• JDdubai

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM

If he stays then great. If he goes for good money to PSG for Champs League football then cant blame him. He is 28 and in his prime and should be in the champs League if we are fair.

Would be good to see his replacement in before he leaves though, so unlike us to be proactive…

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM

His freekick taking is excellent.

I’d be stopping back and taking free-kicks all the time as well if I was at the club.

He’s wasted, to an extent, further back in deep midfield. His shooting and passing are best suited in a more advanced position, but still in the midfield area.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

JD

100% agree with that, all top players want top level football so if he goes for that fir play to him, we just need to make sure we get enough out of the deal that we at least stand still and not go backwards.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

TS,
    You talk about Man U selling Ronaldo but they clung on to him desperately before letting him go to his boyhood club and fulfilling a dream, the same with Arsenal and Fabregas, as has been mentioned before every PL player has a price, we seem to be the only club constantly harping on about losing players every window.

• Black and White with an army lol

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM

if Cabaye want’s CL football PSG are the team to go too, i think we all respect that Cabaye want’s CL with Newcastle but we have the wrong Chairmen wrong Manager & wrong DOF for this to ever happen.

if any players want’s success this is the wrong club to be at

• RonVanDam

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Laurent Robert 32

Its a shame bcos he’sbeen playing out of his skin lately, much better then his first season and 10x more then last. I wish MA would show a little bit more ambition and signs atleast 3 top players to make our push for top 4, maybe this could change cabayes mind and opts to stay with us beyond next season and extends his contract.

The problem is the club has a slow progressing limited ambition which may come right in 3-5 season, unfortunately time isnt on Cabayes side. It will be a shame to see him go unless we made him a offer he cannot refuse

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

JFA

true we do keep going on about it, but we don’t really sell many so not like we tout our own players around and then cash in on a couple every window, so it’s not a massive issue.

clubs know players are available regardless of what the manager says in the press

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Not 1 season under ashley have we had a squad we could all be satisfied with.

• RonVanDam

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

HD

Its human nature to want what you dont have and not be satisfied with what you do have. Simple economics, wants > needs

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

It doesn’t matter when he is sold as he won’t be replaced this window, how long did we wait for a fourth CB, well a third CB considering STaylor was out for the season, and that was a position we were desperate for, we needed another ST before AC got sold, how long have we been waiting for the extra ST now, central midfield is not a position we are really short on, I don’t think he will be replaced at all.

• Edd Case

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM

You can’t argue that Cabaye, Tiote, Hiadara, MYM, HBA, Sissoko, Gouffran and even Mike Williamson have all been really, really good deals for this club.

I’m really impressed with how the French players are settling in but BIG shout out to Iron Mike.
    I was a big critic of his last season but the lad’s really playing well this season so fair play to him.

If we can get in another creative player (Cabella), a new striker and (what I’d love to see) a new, young, British centre back to come through – I think we’re really in a good place for the remainder of this season and for next.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM

RVD

Yes, but I do not think we have had what we have needed too.

• sparky55

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM

worst case scenario is he won’t be replaced and Anita gets a game every week within a 4-4-2 formation…still not a disaster in my mind.

2nd worst case is he goes this week and we get Cabella in and he’s slowly introduced into the fold as we now have nothing to play for except a remote possibility of a Eufa cup place.

For those of you think Cabella is not Cabs replacement then you are of course wrong.

best scenario is cabs keeps his word and leaves in the summer but don’t see much point now to be honest and if we get what we want for him money wise then think he’ll go next week after the norwich game and he gets the chance to play CL this year as well as next year and that’s why IMO they’ll pay what we want for him to go now.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I still just can’t see him going this window. Makes no sense to sell.

Let him go to the world cup, play well (which he does for france) and then there will be plenty clubs bidding for him

• RonVanDam

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Few things we have improved from last year are:

Not sitting too deep and actually playing more attacking football with view to win.
    Less injuries – Obvious
    Players picked on form
    Players not played out of position

Things i like to see improve are:

Coaching
    Maximising player potential. It pains me to see Santon wasted at LB. He is a natural winger, stop comparing him to Maldini, its not doing anyone favors and play him in a position he’s suited for.

Tim Krul ball distribution is still shocking after 2.5 seasons. And don’t get me started on Cisse

Squad rotation esp during the festive season

• Blofal

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM

If our wildest dreams come true:

Debuchy – Willo – Colo – Santon
    ——Cabaye ——– Tiote——
    —————Cabella———–
    —–Remy ———— Gouffran
    —————-DeJong————–\

Sub Options: Cisse, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Dummett, Haidara, Mbiwa, Saylor, Anita, Sammy

Not bad.

• Blofal

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Oh and if West Ham get relegated Carroll surely would have buy out clause won’t he? Maybe 7 mill? I’d pay that for him for sure.

• RonVanDam

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I dont think Cabella is a like for like replacement. I’d rather have him and cabaye in the team together.
    Cabella could occupy the number 10 role easily and supply more strike power upfront. He can be our Coutinho or Kawgawa, which ever way you look at it

• martoon

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Markaccus from previous topic – yes DIY all done but now I’m stiff and can hardly move my arms – getting too old should have taken your advice yesterday GSETDI or whatever it was.
    Anyway to football – I accept Cabaye might leave but as has been said I fear we won’t replace him in the same window as we never have done in the past – we just don’t seem to have any contingency plans which I find staggering as they have the whole time the window is shut to line up possible replacements.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM

i’d play cabela more from the left, not a winger, just inside of that, gouff isn’t naturally a wide man and comes inside anyway.

cabaye needs to stay as the number 10, goals and assists galore when he is there, his best position by far.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM

sparky,
    He’s going anyway, not if but when, if we were in the same position as Spurs pushing for that fourth spot then it would be madness to let him go before the summer but as our season is effectively over and we’ll finish somewhere between 7-10th with or without our star player we might as well cash him in now and spend the money next summer rather than sell him in the summer and spend some of the money next January.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Can’t see Cabaye going this window, if he leaves in the summer there’s very little we can do other than offer a great contract, but that’s the summer, just hope he carries on with this fantastic form he’s been one of the best in the league

3Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM

achtoon // Jan 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM

a quote from today’s papers ‘at times their imagination was sublime, their accuracy a thing of wonder’ and ‘they played their football in beguiling triangles; flitting into telling space working the ball reducing the opposition to a bewildered scamper’ yes this was about Newcastle and our ‘average’ manager. if some one had said 4 years ago that the papers were writing this kind of stuff about us you would be saying Yes please, i’ll have that manager. Fat sams only game plan was A.Carroll who misses a sitter and gave away the free kick for our third. Love it.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This is where Catchy and I part company as that description of triangles etc is what I’ve been crying out, ie passing football with the technical players we have and playing Cabaye in a free role.

I would never in a million years want dark age, negative hoofball Allardyce ahead of Pardew

I do recognise improvement when it happens and if we could now just add some consistency.. . . . . . . . !

Rotunda
    Great post, fully agree with this mate
    There have been huge signs of improvement, but we need that consistency!
    I don’t think many would really argue if i said we have seen some if the best football played at NUFC under Pardew for years but also seen some of the worst football played at NUFC for years under Pardew!
    We need to find that balance

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

jail

i think we’d get a lot more money in the summer, if he continues this form and keeps playing as well for france as he has

i’d not sell now for less than 35mil

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Ron Van Dam
    Defo distribution kicking – Sh**e
    I don’t know if you have noticed lately that Newcastle and Krul have changed their tact with Kruls distribution.
    The full backs defenders are coming short and wide to receive kick outs roll outs and building from the back.

• jazzyp

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I dont understand people saying we wont be signing anyone this window,unless they have inside info. There is still 2 wk left yet and the signings last year didnt come in till the end of the window last year.
    Ts- may i ask why we wont sign a quality midfield player for a long time when there is chance on cabella

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Ron, he has been playing better, yes. I still think it’s because he knows he has to be on top form to get a top club in for him, plus the World Cup is a spur for him.

• KevinHann

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Transfer Sage

I’m not so sure it makes little sense, mate. We don’t know what really happened in the last days of summer. I could imagine him having a conversation with the club telling them if another bid big enough comes in the next window he wants to leave, politely reminding he would be able to buy out his contract in the summer on the Webster rule unless we are close to CL. Then telling his agent to leak this info to the press come January to remind the club of his stance. He could even feel he’s doing the right thing for both the club and himself by allowing time and financial package for a suitable replacement to be signed while also giving his best for the team over the past half a year.

While I am not assuming all this is true it sounds a completely plausible explanation of what has been going on given the history of the player – and it is by far not the worst scenario for Newcastle!

I have expected Cabaye to be sold and thought we were lucky to keep him beyond last summer. On the other hand I am trying to be realistic and accept we are not going to reinforce the team unless a substantial sum comes from a sale of an important player. Once you are resigned to that instead of whining and complaining about ambition it’s easy to understand that is the way for a club like ours to progress.

I sincerely do not understand the ambition claims around here. The world does not revolve around Newcastle and the clubs we should comprehensively and consistently outperform to be “ambitious” are much, much well equipped financially than us. The Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool are way beyond our reach regardless of Sports Direct advertising and other controversies that keep mentioned as if they are the sole reason we aren’t competing. They aren’t. What we can do is stay solid, work gradually to our strengths and develop the team. This requires continuity and the current regime while flawed and neglecting communication with fans is doing a good job in bringing it. Our team is much stronger than it was when Pardew took over.

What I’d like to see is people realize we are complaining way too much about things that are relatively small issues in the world of football and acknowledge the good things we are experiencing as a club because there are plenty of them to be proud of. Only then can we have healthy discussions flowing good energy around – cause if that’s not what football is about I don’t know what it is.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM

jazzy

i mean i don’t think we’ll have a player with the quality of cabaye, cabella seems good just not the same level as cabaye for me.

cabaye is world class, 28 so around the peak time now, can’t see us getting a player that good for ages….been a long time since we had one that good before.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

kevin

fair enough, never seen anyone use the webster ruling so not sure if a payer would really do that, nothing really happened with it before in the prem league as far as i remember

I’d still be demanding more than 25mil, he’s worth at least 10 mil more i’m sure.

• KevinHann

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Transfer Sage

We will wait and see, if Cabaye is resigned to buying his contract out if we ruin his transfer by asking for more money we might not really have the leverage to demand a bigger fee. And he’d probably be correct in thinking and acting upon the understanding a bid of over 20 million pounds is more than suitable for an adequate replacement to be signed and represents even more than his true market value.

• catchy in norway

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

tads

I think your mad if you think that’s not what I want

I have said for a long time now cabaye should be playing much higher up the pitch

you can play all the pretty football you like in your half , it won’t score you goals,

if you think we are playing better , good for you,

but I’m not into the football that we play , I think we never will see the best of our goo players ,

we won 3-1 yesterday, looks good on paper, and I agree some of the football we played was good, but saying that a game if football lasts 90mins, and the second half we were shit , and they had some very good chances,

this is not made up, stats prove what I’m saying , we have the highest no of shots out side the 18Y box, the lowest inside the box, only 5 teams play less football in the other teams half
    Stoke
    Sunderland
    Cardiff and 2 more that I carnt remember offhand,

an for the last time, I don’t want SA back , I never said I did , what I said was I think SA is better than AP, at least his teams have a plan,

and please don’t say when they brought AC on they just lumped it to him, that’s exactly what pardew does with shola, lump it long

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Has everyone checked that afdah.com, unbelievable.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Catchy
    ? When did I say that exactly? I was agreeing that there was definite signs of improvement under Pardew whether you acknowledge that or not is up to you mate

• 70TWO

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM

It appears to me the deal for Cabaye is the cost of a replacement plus £15M, hence the bid for Cabella. PSG are probably mulling that over whilst looking at alternatives and waiting on Montpellier to stop crying over spilt milk.

• Slank

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

REPOST

All players leave almost always by transfer. Cabaye will be sold. It’s not if but when. Now is probably the best time as he is at the top of his game and at the right age although will he be worth more after a good Workd Cup? That’s the gamble.

He has improved enormously because he has been in the Premiership and also because of the way Pardew plays him in an advanced role. He has benefited from having Tiote and latterly Anita behind him allowing him a free role to show his all round qualities.

The club’s plan was to sign players who would have a resale value and so it should be no surprise to see him sold for a substantial profit.

• Our Toon

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Lads I’ve been saying for a long time now that players will become disillusioned due to the lack of ambition we’ve shown. Players like Cabaye etc will not be around for steady progression, which means going backwards…..imagine what a couple of signings in the summer could have done!!

Ronaldo was sold as he didn’t want to sign a new contract, he also said it always rains in Manchester and wanted to move to Spain, man utd sold him for £80m, that’s more money than winning prem and CL….it’s what’s called a no brainer

It’s important to match the ambition of players, Remy would sign for us if we showed ambition to push for CL, instead we lose 2 players because we prefer mid table mediocrity

• 70TWO

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

catchy in norway

When I read what you said it came across as you wanted to replace AP with AS. Where as I think you meant you approve of him more.

• 70TWO

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Our Toon

Certainly is the case that the club is not moving towards CL as quickly as the player (and fans) would like. Which is why I think Ashley would preferably sell than invest significantly in the squad.

• catchy in norway

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

toonarmydownsouth

this is where im lost

where have we improved,,

keeping the ball in our own half? and that’s it,

we have a wonderful attack minded squad, that sits back, OC they can play good football, they all top intenationals,

my point is , not that the football hasn’t improved, what do we do with it?

like I said with the stats above,

bottom 5 in attacking the other team
    least amount of shots in the 18Y box
    most out of it

its like I said yesterday, keep as many behind the ball, play pretty passes going no where, and pot luck shots from 30 yards

simply not good enough for the players we have,,

I dare say it, you could manage the team with the players we have

• Slank

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM

TS @ 29

I would say that Cabaye is worth more than £30M but it all depends on who is desperate enough now and willing to meet Newcastle’s evaluation.

ManU could do with him but they like us look unlikely to qualify for the Champions League. He wants, and deserves, Champions League and as such his options are limited so if PSG come calling then he will probably go.

1 2 3 5