The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Challenge Liverpool For Top Egyptian Winger

8:25 pm, Monday, January 20th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 130 Comments

Sky Sports is reporting that Newcastle United have moved in for Egyptian International Mohamed Salah, who is an attacking midfielder, and the Magpies are challenging Liverpool for the player.

mohamed Salah

Mohamed Salah - Newcastle after Egyptian winger

The 21 year-old is at Basel in Switzerland, and the right winger has been heavily courted by Liverpool, who are interested in signing the player this month.

Mohamed has been playing  well for Basel in the Champions League this season, and that’s one reason the 21 year-old is being courted by some Premier League clubs.

Salah  joined Basel from Egyptian club El Mokawloon in April of 2012 on a four year contract.

The player was born in Basion, El Gharbia in Egypt, and he has played for the Egyptian U20 and U23 youth sides and has 17 goals in only 27 games for the Egypt National side.

Salah made his debut as a 19 year-old in September of 2011, in the 2–1 defeat at Sierra Leone.

The transfer fee is said to be around £12M, but maybe with an agreement just being announced for Montpellier’s Remy Cabella of Montpellier, this will mean that Newcastle will pull out of the chase for Salah.

But maybe not, and there’s a possibility this lad will be brought in before the end of January.

That would be a shock – but we hope it happens. :D

There are other top clubs in addition to Newcastle and Liverpool, who are interested in signing this player, who looks a great prospect.

The news earlier today was that Montpellier have announced a deal has been agreed with Newcastle for the transfer of 23 year-old midfielder Remy Cabella, but it will not take place this month – and the deal will be completed in the summer.

Seems like the transfer business for Newcastle is heating up.

The deal for Cabella is very likely to be the biggest incoming deal since Mike Ashley bought the club back in the summer of 2007, and it is Joe Kinnear’s first permanent signing for Newcastle, since he became Director of Football last June.

Note: There is a special MJK Sports event coming up like we’d like to publicize.  On May 9th there will be an evening with Kevin Keegan at the Lancastrian suite in Gateshead. You can get the details about the event and buy your tickers here.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

130 responses so far ↓

• 1 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM

i cant believe bumble would spend 26 mill unless hes expecting a big bid for cabs

• 2 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM

More chances of JFK getting laid tonight

• 3 Milner // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM

its a done deal (pretty much)

• 4 aidytoon9 // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Still think we will get cabella this month..

• 5 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Himanshu, for once I think you’re right!

• 6 wolfshead@toon // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM

lesh

dont be so hasty joe and nicollin were seen making eyes at each other over a glass of vino haha

• 7 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Milner.

You will have spotted the quotation marks (‘agree’) in Sky’s headline?

Even they’re not certain.

• 8 Ancientcoptic // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM

It is just a bit of a shame we have to find out about Newcastle signings from Montpellier, anybody would have thought the DOF would want to take the plaudits for this, and be the first out with the good news.

• 9 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

wolfshead@toon @6.

Hahaha?

Ne’er, ooh la la more likely just before Kinnear falls off his perch and crashes to the floor!!

• 10 manxpie // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM

maybe this interest being made public is to make that montpelier nutter shit himself about losing out on 10 or so mill!?
    can’t see this 1 tbh papers were saying this mornin they want 16 mill for him but liverpool wouldn’t pay it
    so i’m sure we defo won’t

• 11 Milner // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I dont believe in question marks
    ?

• 12 G // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Liverpool will want to spread the payments over 5 years. We pay cash up front, hence the appeal of instant finance for transfers manxpie. Not saying I believe this transfer will happen, just saying we don’t do the ‘capital outlay’ thing.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM

My phone finally became unworkable on internet explorer, gone with firefox and so far so good.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM

G,
    I doubt the player will be arsed how Lpool pay their money, it still amazes me why Marveaux chose us over them, was Dogleash in charge then.

• 15 G // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Isn’t the player that the bid goes to it’s the club. Marveaux chose us because he failed his Liverpool medical mate.

• 16 manxpie // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM

g yeah i can see that being the case but just odd that this one has come out of nowhere
    especially since that french guy is dragging his heels with the player we’ve been linked with all window
    seems a smokescreen to me

• 17 belgrade fan // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM

So what if we sign Cabella in summer and sell Cabaye than. Sell best player and buy one who never played in England. Where is wish to push for EL place in this season?? I said we will sign nobody in Jan but maybe De Jong on loan which is not enough to push us forward

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Everton absolutely flying, hope they nick that fourth spot.

• 19 manxpie // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM

scum getting battered in the u18s
    sounds like we might have a new mackem slayer on our hands!

• 20 Toonmania // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Newcastle are denying reports that we have an agreement with Montpellier for Cabella

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM

G,
    Isn’t it funny how free transfers and bargains seem to pass our otherwise rigorous medicals.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM

J4A…try Opera best browser ever :)

• 23 p // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Seems to me Cabella is a Cabaye replacement.

Cabaye only ever saw us as a stepping stone and that’s fine with Mash so long as he makes some money on him, which let’s face it, he will.

I just hope we don’t end up seeing Cabaye leave on Jan 30th and Cabella not joining until June. That is the sort of thing Mash is capable, at the end of the day, they feel they are safe form relegation now.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM

jesper,
    Just found out ahout it tonight, it won’t let me log in.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM

J4A…bummer mate :(

• 26 kt97toonarmy // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Marvaux failed a medical at stoke too.

• 27 jazzyp // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Toonmania
    Where is the link mate

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM

P,
    Dunno if it’s been mentioned but JfK Dof has told SSN that nobody will be leaving this window, which probably means nobody will be signed.

• 29 Offkey // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM

@26 – are you sure – I thought that was Ba

• 30 p // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM

If JFK told me it was going to get dark tonight, I would still wait and see rather than consider it a given J4A.

That said, if PSG get the cash out, he will go and they will limp through until June with what they have. After all, Anita is doing quite well and they can bring in Ben Afree

Still reckon DeJong will come in on loan. It’s just a Newcastle kind of deal. It’s not looking good for him at his current club.

• 31 dantoon85 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

JFK was meant to sign loci remy on a permanent deal not remy cabella but I ain’t complaining if it’s true hahaha HWTL

• 32 dantoon85 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM

*Loic*

• 33 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I’ll settle for the same result the kids got tonight in in a couple of weeks time against the mackems 4-0 in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

P,
    I know what you mean, but SSN have said that JfK has said Cabaye is not for sale, maybe they’ve took the nobody’s leaving and invented their own words to make the headline !

• 35 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Howay lads. Cabella in the summer when we sell Cabaye then? The rest is bollocks.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Gtwo,
    Don’t get your post !

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM

A favour lads? I want to run my post match win celebration past you. I run roaring like a lion for the door, rush outside pulling down my pants and finish sliding on the grass while screaming like a feral badger in heat. The neighbours love it they tell me. Is it too much? Not enough? Let me know please.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I think Cabella will come to us next summer and we’ll sell Cabaye to pay for him plus another player Jail mate @36. The other talk of players now are just bollocks. Ashley isn’t going to pay enough to get Salad.

• 39 Toon1978 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Just got back from the under 18s match. Watch out for Kemen. OUTSTANDING player for his age. Ran rings around SAFC.

• 40 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Are beak waxing parties still all the rage? A brew and a beak we used to call them. By God that brings back memories.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Anybody else turn your eye Toon1978?

• 42 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM

At 28, Cabaye is about at his peak. We’ll get plenty of money from a club that wants a complete player who can play at that level for realistically at least the next 4 years. I think the only way that he’ll stay is if we convince him that we’re going to strengthen to realistically challenge the top 4. Otherwise, I can understand him wanting to play CL football again.

• 43 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I think Juan Cala from Sevilla is going to slip in under the radar.
    Colo’s replacement him like.
    Jail for Ashley you’re a c*nt btw

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM

G2,
    I’ve said all along that we wouldn’t sign anyone, just hope the fat man proves me wrong

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Good on you for going to see the under 18s. Hoping to see more of them break into the first team! Looks like none of our youth players are as close as we’d hoped…

• 46 Toon1978 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM

GeordieTwo

L.Satka….tidy Centre back and Armstrong. The kid has pace to burn. Missed a sitter though.

• 47 yorkymag // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Watching wba I can’t belive we lost to them they are awful

• 48 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I suppose you’re all either satisfied with my celebration or completely bored by it then? I suspected as much. Sigh. Back to the drawing board.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

TDsarf,
    Why do you keep reposting your articles, you’re only allowed to do that if Ed puts up a new thread mid type.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Ta Toon1978. Good to know mate. Hopefully they keep progressing.

• 51 p // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

J4A, don’t you think DeJong will turn up on loan?

Seems is it union of convenience for both sides.

He needs football, we only have one viable striker right now and we are cheap.

Cisse may be another one off at the end of the season and his departure may fund DeJong.

• 52 Harley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Just watched the YouTube clips of cabella and he looks great.

However just watched the YouTube clips of another player who looked a class up again and it was HBA.

That guy has got some skills. If we could only get the best out him and let him loose with cabaye and cabella, it would be a scary sight for the opposition.

• 53 yorkymag // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Great goal just as I said they were awful
    What do I know

• 54 Toon1978 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM

GeordieTwo

For SAFC nobody stood out you will be happy to know lol. Some big lads play for them. They were good as a passing unit but no player for them stood out.

• 55 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I thought the same Jail@43. With us in no danger Mike will snap that purse shut. Brummies have just equalized! Lovely header that.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM

That’s also good news Toon’78 @53. :)

• 57 jimmysmith // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Cabella would look a good signing, but we could with the lift a big signing could bring right NOW if we are to push on and finish strongly, and also to excite the fans.

And also Benny not travelling with the squad doesn’t look like the sort behavior of a guy who is seriously banging on the door of a starting spot.

• 58 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM

JFA

Says who?

I reposted it because the thread was dead so I figured nobody would see it.

Would it be ok if I had just reworded it a bit like so many of the Ashley out brigade do? Every single time they’re on…

• 59 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Aye very worrisome about Benny and the extra weight he seems to be carrying jimmysmith mate. He looks downright thick around the waste to me.

• 60 Toon1978 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Trust the club to dampen the excitement regarding Cabella by denying any agreement. Barrr humbugs haha.

• 61 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Don’t think the Baggies would like being called Brummies any more than we would like being called Mackems!

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:43 PM

TDsarf,
    Yes technically rewording a post is fine, but reposting the same one unless in the circumstances described above is a big no no.

• 63 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Jail for Ashley…… If you’ve given up on IE and installed Firefox, what phone you using?

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:46 PM

P,
    If De Jong does turn up it’ll be strictly on our terms, I don’t think they’ll be overly bothered enough to give in to their demands.

• 65 jimmysmith // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Yeah, Benny has become a bit chunky, but he has also become that much harder to knock off the ball and still remains quite fast.

Although it isn’t going to help him be more industrious when the opposition has possession, which is apparently one of the reasons, or perhaps main reason, he’s fallen down the pecking order.

Quite a powerful player, with the extra weight though.

• 66 Oleg G // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I don’t want salah even if he pays us to Play here.
    That man is a rude, horrible person who mix politics and sports. I will hate it if he comes here. Good that the chance isn’t high for it to happen.

• 67 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Those Brummies are a moany lot anyway.:)

• 68 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM

JFA

I beg to disagree. I reposted because the thread was at an end shortly after I posted my comment and this one was lively. And reading the same reworded crap from the same people on thread after thread is really not interesting.

I reckon the blog should have badges that we could all choose to represent our standings the club. So some people could choose a MAOC badge, others a “we’re doomed” badge. Etc… :-)

• 69 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I don’t think he has the stamina for a full game now jimmysmith, although that doesn’t seem to be much of a worry these days. Still he should be with the squad as they travel overseas. What is he thinking about his future with us I wonder?

• 70 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM

lesh,
    Samsung S2, but the blog on my Samsung tablet is ruined as well, I’ll go through firefox on that now aswell.

• 71 newcben // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Let’s face it Cabaye is on his way, there is no way the fat man would invest that sort of money without having something in. But imagine if he stayed, the possibility of this team…..

———————–Krul——————–
    Debuchy——Colo—–MBwia——Santon
    —————Tiote——–Cabaye———–
    HBA—————Cabella————–Salah
    ———————-Remy——————–

Bench
    Elliot
    Haidara
    Anita
    Sissoko
    Goufran
    Cisse

With a quality manager at the helm and we are all go, Pardew still leaves me in doubt, his subs are often questionable and i think we have good enough players to play football (like a Martinez side).

Obviously we would need HBA and Salah to track back to not leave us exposed but that team going forward looks naughty!

• 72 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM

A 1-1 finish. Not so bad that. Pepe gets his first point.

• 73 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew, you using Opera on your Lumia?

• 74 jimmysmith // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Yeah, and us with him maybe, sad really, if that’s the way it’s headed.

• 75 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I reckon we have a chance of catching one or two teams above us, depending on transfer and luck with injuries. Will be a tough ask though.

But to overtake 4 of them and get 4th place? Virtually impossible sadly…

• 76 Toon1978 // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Do you lads think we will get Cabella? Not so sure myself. So many conflicting reports.

• 77 Blofal // Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM

The only way we jave even a glimmer of hope keeling Cabaye is if we make the Champions League.

• 78 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

We couldn’t handle Champs League anyway TDS mate. We couldn’t even handle Europa. We’ll remain a thin squad in talent. One in, one out sort of thing. If Cabella is meant to replace Cabaye and he can’t cut it in the Prem what then? It’s a risky strategy unless you don’t mind finishing 16th every other year.

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

TDsarf,
    No, you’re wrong, you posted that at 20:35, you simply cant go reposting the same stuff and hour and a half later !

• 80 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Cabella? Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

• 81 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM

JFA

Frankly mate, I can do whatever the hell I like. Who died and made you the blog police?

This blog page started at 8.30. I checked later and the last one died 2 posts after mine as people moved to this one so I reposted so people could see it more easily. Big deal.

• 82 lesh // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Jail, maybe it’s your phone at fault if it come with
    IE pre-installed.

• 83 Toon1978 // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:08 PM

12 million quid. No wonder NUFC have rejected talk of it. Ashley would have choked on his cheap coffee once he seen that we had agreed a deal. Bet he couldnt move fast enough to stick a pad lock on his wallet :)

• 84 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM

lesh…no sadly It is still in development for Windows 8 phones :(

…I use i t on my laptop, tablet and former smartphone!

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM

…under development

• 86 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM

G2

CL revenue would mean we could invest. Besides, it would just be fun to see us there again!

What exactly is risky? Signing players from abroad? It’s not as if we can go and sign Rooney and Mertesacker though is it?

I don’t get the negativity. We’re doing alright this season aren’t we? Squad is building up nicely year on year isn’t it?

• 87 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

• 88 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

TDsarf,
    I understand your frustration but rules are rules, reword your post or make sure you repost it not more than ten minutes after the first one.
    Thank you.

• 89 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

There’s no sign to me of strengthening the squad as many of thought. Ashley will love 8th place with a very nice gap down to the bottom 10. There are growing problems to sort out however. How long can Cisse sit on the bench and still be worth something? How long will Ben Arfa be happy with 10 minutes a game? How long will Cabaye stay with us? What are we doing to get rid of Obertan? What is the point of keeping Marveaux around and paying him 45K a week or so? What does Joe do again?

• 90 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

JFA

Not frustrated one tiny little bit.

I’ll see your made up rules and raise you one I don’t give a stuff…

• 91 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:16 PM

TDS the only thing wrong with getting into Champs League would be having the same owner mate. He couldn’t even handle getting into Europa. He did nothing that summer and we plummeted down the table. The negativity is mainly about 7 years of Ashley’s lies, cheapness, BS deal with Willy Wonga, signing of useless JFK etc etc. I love the club, and unashamedly despise the owner.

• 92 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

G2

I’d be shocked if Marv really earns that much. Poor purchase if he does. We need strength in depth yet people complain about the likes of Cisse and Ben Arfa being on the bench?? Let them prove their worth to the team! I’d rather have them on the bench than money in the bank.

Compare our squad to 1 year ago, 2 years ago and 3 years ago and try telling me that it isn’t better.

• 93 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

TDsarf,
    Not made up, an e mail to Ed and he can give you a lesson on the rules and etiquette of the blog.

• 94 jimmysmith // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I think we’re doing well under Pards. I think he’s hung on where most couldn’t, by hook and by crook but mainly with hard work and determination and we now do look quite strong.

Man U on the other hand, Jesus, they could have had Mourinho and went for Moyes. That smacks of Sir Alex not wanting someone to follow him, upset the apple cart and upstage him. Looks a self centered act, I think, at this admittedly early stage of the game.

But you’d have to think Mourinho to Man U would have been heaven sent.

• 95 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM

G2

Europa League was too early in the business plan mate. It’s like when a team wins the play-offs and knows it would need to spend more than it has to stay in the PL.

CL is different. Much higher prize money, much more coverage, much more prestige to get sponsors and many more players would want to join us without demanding a premium on their wages.

• 96 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Very good post jimmysmith @93. I now have a grudging admiration of Pards. He has shown he can handle pressure and recover after little or no support from an idiotic owner. It’s not that I don’t want quality players on the bench TDS, it’s that I don’t believe Cisse and Benny will stay with us given their lack of playing time. Cisse has plummeted in value I would think and Benny looks downright fat. We need younger, hungrier players of quality on the bench pushing the starters. I don’t see Cisse pushing the starters with his play. Remy took a few games off in terms of effort and Cisse did little or nothing with his playing time. So strange to sit eighth with a clueless owner and DoF.

• 97 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Don’t get overly excited about Champs League TDS mate. We’ll never be in it with Mike as owner.

• 98 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

JfA

I think I’ll decline that kind suggestion for me to ask how to behave on a footballing blog. I think I’ll continue to do whatever I damn well please.

Seriously, you get all het up about blog etiquette while there are people throwing around ridiculous insults about our club’s owner, DoF and manager?

• 99 BandB // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Toon Darn Sarf,

I asked you a question late last night. It was about last on a dead thread. But I didn’t repost it, because I knew you’d have responded if you wanted to.
    It wasn’t at all a hostile question. So I would still be interested in hearing your view.

• 100 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

G2,
    If you planned to build a house in six months and got it done in three it wouldnt make sense to discuss with your builder to take the roof back off as you got it donebto early, you’d give the builder more bricks to build the next house.

• 101 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

G2

Owner has proved clueless in dealing with fans but done ok with the business side of things. DoF should balance those weaknesses but has made things worse! I’ll judge him on his signing though…

Not worried about Cisse or Ben Arfa. Someone has to sit on the bench and if it was Goofy and Remy then people would make other negative comments. Hope they can both come again, but I won’t lose any sleep over it.

• 102 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

TDsarf,
    I’m not the one using words like ‘damn’ and ‘Hell’ and telling people I’ll do whatever I please.
    Really !

• 103 JAMSHA // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Get French Football
    @ GFN_France
    5m
    Laurent Nicollin says just now on
    @jplusun : ‘No contact between us and
    Newcastle for Cabella right now.’
    #MHSC #NUFC

• 104 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I agree Jail mate. We made Europa in Ashley’s fifth year after he had already gotten us relegated. Then we finished 16th. Is that building toward anything? We couldn’t be poorer in domestic cups with a few bench players in the lineup. Joe has done almost nothing. We are paying a lot of money to players who will never appear on the pitch for us this season. We play Remy constantly, thereby upping his value when he’s a loan player. Almost every time Cisse appears it’s an embarrassment. Benny seems to have entered some eating contests recently as well. What is Joe doing again?

• 105 JP...from The Rock // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Now there are contradicting reports about Cabella, saying that we are yet to agree a fee. This is getting do annoying have we or haven’t we agreed a bloody price already!! geeezzz!

I know nothing about this Egyptian but it’s good to hear we are looking for more creative players and this guy is a winger, just what we need with a striker. Come on Kinnear get it sorted asap.

• 106 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

JFA

A more accurate analogy would be if the house was built after 3 months wouldn’t you mice in straight away?

Well, not if you can’t afford furniture and the electrics aren’t sorted.

• 107 Tsunki // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Nicollin is an idiot. We must be mad or desperatte to deal with this mickey mouse outfits. And thats an insult to Walt Disney.

• 108 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

It’s another point of view TDS. I don’t think we can agree about Mike. As for Joe I will be interested to see what he does about the numerous problems piling up. It’s a poor show so far however after all his big talk last summer.

• 109 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

BandB

I’m not sure if that’s a joke or you’re helping prove my point with JfA…but I’d have no problem with you reposing that even if it is more than 10 minutes ago…I’m afraid I didn’t see it.

• 110 Tsunki // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Hmm looks like we have a rodent thread going……

• 111 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

No Tsunki mate. It’s budgies all the way. Just ask Markaccus. I have more fowl advice for him as well. How ya doin mate?

• 112 GeordieTwo // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Have to go again. Enjoyed the debate as always.

• 113 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

JFA

You think words like damn and hell are colourful? You must live a sheltered life…

• 114 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM

On the whole not ready for Europa league thing….

How I see it we would have needed 6/7 players to have a good go at it and also keep enough quality to cover injuries. It would be very difficult to bring in that many in one window.

However the club only brought one player, Anita, in which was a massive mistake. They should have brought in another 2/3 even if loan signings just to cover until the players we needed/wanted were ready. That was a big mistake.

I don’t think it was realistic to get the 6/7 we needed but to get 1 was bordering on negligent.

• 115 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM

G2

Nah, probably not. Would be interesting to have that chat in person with a passionate toon fan mind you. Must sort out a drink with one of the neggers next time I’m up…

• 116 nufc_eire // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Just for a second imagine if we signed the two lads and kept cabaye

—————Cabaye———–Tiote————–
    ——Salah———-Ben Arfa——–Cabella—-
    ————————–Remy————————

Champions league standard attack

• 117 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:46 PM

We’ve already got a player that’s better than Cabella and Cabaye and that’s Sylvain Marveaux. Read this:

• 118 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:46 PM

TS

Agreed. But we know the club will only sign players when the deals are right. It’s frustrating as it means we will is out on players but overall it means we get players cheaper so our money goes further and we do improve our squad more quickly.

• 119 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:46 PM

G2,
    It seem strange that the money wasn’t there for the electics when it was finished but was found when the house was about to collapse.
    TDsarf,
    I’m sure BandB being the fine lady she is would have reworded her post to you rather than stooping to your level.

• 120 BandB // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Toon Darn Sarf,

I take a while to think and type, so as a result Ed has often moved on. I think I have more “LASTS!” than just about anyone.
    I always figure if people give a toss, they won’t just follow Ed’s bait like a lemming. It’s not like elbowing for your spot on live TV. You can spool back.
    But that’s your choice. I don’t want to force anything down your throat.

• 121 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM

TDS

It’s good at times but does our hard line on business build good as lasting relationships with clubs or does it put their noses out so they don’t want to deal with us in future? It’s a balance and positives and negatives to how we do business.

Still think sometimes you have to accept you need to either pay that little extra or go to your back up choice (or a loan signing) just to get you through that difficult spell.

• 122 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

BandB

Ok, I can look for your post, but I don’t read every single comment on the blog. No chance I’d have time for that!

• 123 BandB // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Jail,

What are you on about?
    She Stoops To Conquer. :)

• 124 BandB // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Thank you, Toon Darn South. I perfectly understand.

• 125 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM

For example

Everton might have not been able to buy players but they made some very good loan signings which has given them an outside chance of the champions league, which in turn gives them a chance next year at more money and better players.

Obviously people prefer permanent deals but loans are sometimes better than nothing and if used correctly can give you a platform to kick on the following season.

• 126 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM

nufc eire
    Wouldn’t it make more sense to have Cabella, a natural number 10 in the number 10 role and HBA a natural winger playing on the wing?

• 127 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM

TS

Backup choices and loan signings yes. I don’t see a problem with being known as a tough negotiator, stops people’s time from being wasted.

I don’t want clubs to want to deal with our club because they know we’ll be happy to pay over the odds.

Paying big money for a potential star like Walcott, Ronaldo or Bale would be nice though…

• 128 Transfer Sage // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM

If we sign cabella cabaye is still my number ten, played so well there and scores and assists much more then when deeper.

Anyone see joe kinnear tell sky sports news nobody will leave this window? Hopefully true. But no matter what their intentions if PSG but 40mil on the table for cabaye he will be gone (and fair enough)

• 129 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Kets
    Seriously stop banging on about an average injury prone player who isn’t even a bloody CAM he’s played his whole career at Left mid
    Christ people bang on about Pardew playing out of position nearly every fantasy line up posted has players out of position!

• 130 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 20, 2014 at 10:58 PM

BandB

Ok…I found your post as it was one of the last on last night’s last blog as you said. I don’t get it though. Of course I’d take Europe, even Europa League, but I’m not sure what you’re suggesting I was saying is a pipe dream? CL? This season, yes. I can’t see us overtaking 4 clubs to get it.

previous post: Reports Newcastle Agree Cabella Deal – For Summer Transfer