Montpellier Manager Attacks Newcastle Again

The Montpellier manager Rolland Courbis has been talking again, and he is adamant that his 23 year-old midfielder Remy Cabella deserves a better club than Newcastle United, but why these people keep unduly criticizing  other clubs coming in for their players – we have no idea.

rolland courbis

Rolland Courbis – Montpellier manager

But the Montpellier manager would be well advised to tone down his comments about Newcastle United Football club – and show a little more class.

This is what Courbis has said in the French press today:

“I think Newcastle are interested because they will definitely say yes to PSG for the money. But us, we are not stupid.”

“There is already one of us who is over there – Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – and I wish him all the best.” “I think that Remy deserves something else other than Newcastle. Me, personally, I would not go over there.”

And 70 year-old Montpellier President Louis Nicollin has said he will definitely not sell Cabella this month, although he is likely to let the French midfielder leave in the summer.

Nicollin had this to say to RTL in France today.

“I would prefer that he leaves on July 1, or later,” “Then, and only then, if there are good offers, that will allow us to have a great next season, especially if we are in Ligue 1.”

“There is however no question about it happening now. I have heard everything in the last days. It is all baseless.”

Louis Montpellier severely criticized  the Newcastle club after he had sold his captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to Newcastle last January, and of course the 70 year-old is a very controversial figure and has said inappropriate things many times before in his career.

Louis Nicollin  Montpellier president

Louis Nicollin – President of Montpellier

We wonder if Newcastle can still do a deal for Remy Cabella, with all the animosity that seems to exist against Newcastle with both the President and the manager of Montpellier?

Well we suppose so – because we brought in Mapou last January, and maybe the former Montpellier captain has been talking to Remy positively about the Tyneside club.

What do you think?

Note: There is a special MJK Sports event coming up like we’d like to publicize. On May 9th there will be an evening with Kevin Keegan at the Lancastrian suite in Gateshead. You can get the details about the event and buy your tickers here.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• kt97toonarmy

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Good evening all

It seems we r trying to get de jong b4 the norwich game. Ive watched his goals from fc twente he seems to b a bit like cisse but he is alot better at running at defenders. And hes really good in the air. Only 23 too. So from what ive saw im impressed. But im aware that he hasent had a shot on target this season. But the last big scorer who made his reputation in holland was wilfried bony. Who i think is a good complete striker nd swansea r lucky to have him. So i hope hes similar.

• 70TWO

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:40 PM

I would love to live on the south coast of France, but when it comes to football, Toon every time.

• Tom4Nufc

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM

They’re a bunch of jobsworth’s at that club- why put down NUFC? How many clubs come in paying cash up front?! This lot of amateurs need a lesson in ‘business etiquette’ and even JK makes them look bad!

• 70TWO

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I hope de Jong will be bursting at the seams to score goals, someone had a quote earlier saying that he does not make goals but demands to be fed the ball. That should not be a problem, as Remy has shown and if he succeeds then there is less necessity to pay high for the QPR loanee.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I think what the score is..

These french clubs quite dislike us. We have bought alot of french players, some of them cheap some with loop holes, we are snidey. Now they are being dangled in the premier where their value is increasing.

This leaves a bitter taste innthe mouths of former employers.

But when you are a penny pinching club that only seems to be looking for loop holes in contracts and unhappy players. Or, looking at players that want to be at our club for a couple of years and use us as a stepping stone.

Great for long term stability with money in the bank (that you try your hardest not to spend by the way,) but unfortunetly, not great if you want any kind of success and a team built for the long term to bring you success.

• Harley

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM

From what little I’ve seen of de Jong he has a far better touch than cisse too.

• 70TWO

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM

If we payed £10M for Cabella now and loaned them Marveaux and Obertan on half wages, they would snap the Joekers hand off.

• Harley

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:50 PM

If it would soften the blow for them we could throw in obertan too?

• kt97toonarmy

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Harley

Believe it or not but obertan is highly thought of in france.

• 70TWO

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Toon-Prodigy @6

I would go along with what you say, but then we are also in the much more marketed and greater resourced Premier League and can afford to act brashly. Where as they are more cap in hand.

• Harley

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM

K19

Those French can be a strange lot!!

• AaranD

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Luuk De-Jong and either Diego Capel or Salah. Would be a great window for us.
    Cabella and Siem De-Jnng to replace Cabaye in the summer would be brilliant!

• spitfire_

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Of course you’re not stupid. Just look your boss who said to completely different things within two hours… look his hairstyle… look how you speak for something that don’t understand… Yeah you are not stupid at all.

• spitfire_

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM

“to completely ” = “two completely “

• Tom4Nufc

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Toon-Prodigy

I’m not going to lie buddy and I’m sure it’s a controversial view but I don’t mind the current regime! (Well ok… Not JK!!!)

I think that while we haven’t got an owner who is willing to splash 10’s of millions on big players, we are on a stable financial footing with a fantastic squad of players which will comfortably get into the top 10/8 each season- if only we changed the way we put teams out in the cup I’d be even more satisfied!

Mike Ashley is a businessman and I’m sure he has an interest in football but with the TV revenues hitting the BIG TIME next year and onwards we’ve surely got to be considered for a take over bid by either the next Russian/Sheikh who wants to spend millions with no regards for what happens to their money OR a large consortium which want to grow the brand of NUFC across the globe by investing in the club, the squad etc, running us like a business which will take us to the next step.

Due to the sound financial basis we now have, we can be considered by either types of buyers as we are a sound, profitable business which just needs a bit of direction and investment!

Just my views and of course I have my frustrations with the regime although looking at the club before and after Ashley, I’d 10/10 take the club the way it is now- stable, with a good squad and scope to grow and improve organically!

• 70TWO

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Tom4Nufc

Which is it that you would prefer, ‘millions of pounds of investment’ or ‘organic growth’?

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I havn’t looked in here for a while, but im guessing it’s already been discussed Cabella is Cabayes replacement? Yeah? We only spend when we need to. We have seen the model.

We have only been advertising cabs for the last few windows mind..

Finally, with Cabayes form and Pardew and Ashleys advertising skills which we see twice a year, we may see the cracking little midfielder leave. So? We start the rollercoaster again with another and hope for a profit. Which the chances of doing so is great in this league. With no success with trophys.

This football club is not wanting to win trophys unless it’s purely out of luck. A club looking after itself, making money back so the owner can get his digs in, finishing mid-table is all we aspire to be.

70two.

Some may call it good business, but when ambition is questioned because year on year we see a lack of it.

This club deserves more really. And can afford to be running alot better with a much better 1st team pool of players.

Obviously, just my own opinion.

• Tom4Nufc

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:19 AM

70TWO

My heart say’s I’d love millions of pounds of investment from a Billionaire who has no regard for if they see a monetary return on it apart from us to win something although going with my head I’d say organic growth!

Naturally with finely tuned organic growth there would be more investment in the club and for me we’ve got to be on a sustainable footing! If UEFA are genuinely serious about the fair play rules (and will implement them properly) then this is the best way moving forward.

I also think it would be so much more satisfying if (God forbid) we managed to win something, know we didn’t ‘buy’ our way to a trophy like Chelsea or more recently Man City have done!

What are your thoughts?

• Tom4Nufc

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM

knowing*

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Tom,

Good post fella.

But me personally, I can’t forget the absolute kaos this man has caused over this past 6 years.

Just because we are on an even footing financially. (Because he won’t gamble on ambition, but our future). Many of times.

At the end of it all, we are a football club. And that comes first. Entertaining the Geordie public.

All I really see Mike doing is making the Toon kitty bigger so he dosn’t have to put money in himself and so he can slowly dip into get what he is owed without too much bad reaction.

The gambles are on a yearly basis with regards to the first team squad, sometimes twice a year. To me personally, we are not operating to our maximum at present and are showing very little ambition.

My belief is the reasons for that are which i’v stated above.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Looks to me, in the absence of other information that Montpellier are waiting until summer (after we sell Cabaye to PSG) in order that they can hike the price up a bit for Cabella.
    This last week I could not understand the reported newslinks involving Montpellier/Cabaye/PSG – could not see the links at all. But with the manager saying “……. yes to PSG for the money” -I now wonder whether this is how these three instances are connected.

• Tom4Nufc

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Toon-Prodigy

I do agree with you, there has been chaos caused by him over the years and with just a bit more investment we can go to the next level although I don’t think Ashley is the right person to do that investment!

I think our next owner needs to be completely and utterly committed to driving us forward and making the most of our vast potential and fantastic loyal fan base… I just hope it’s sooner rather than later as I really hope I’m not saying the same thing 3 years down the line!

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM

What is up with this club… Who runs this club mike Ashley’s French twin

• Novocastrian66

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I think this is all sabre rattling to make it appear they’re making an effort to keep the Cabella, when actually he is leaving.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Tom,

This lad ain’t leaving anytime soon. He is getting worldwide exposure on a great level for Sports Direct and free of charge at that. The reason he came.

The lad only knows how to make money, he knows absolutely nothing about football. You only have to look at his appointments for this in his tenure.

He is running us to make money, not for success, which is splitting the fanbase.

This is why we are all deflated and frustrated after every transfer window. How much do we see of this money being pumped back in on an ambitious level? Or is it just to see us hit the heights of mid-table?

He is doing more harm than good.

My biggest fear is that he has actually sussed how to run us as a mediocre mid-table club because then we have years and years of this rubbish until he recieves what is owed to him.

He will never extend the first team pool with quality to compete with the top six. Only replace any “purples” that leave from our first eleven.

It’s not why he is here. Trophys was never on his agenda. Why? Because we had never won a trophy for along time previous.

Everyone has admitted to this man hurting the club. Even the current manager. Sharper he leaves the better for me.

• Our Toon

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Can I ask those offended by the comments these guys are making as to why they are offended?

MYM left after winning the league, Cabella is leaving them but they feel we are inferior…..look deeply at the root of there arguments, We last won something in the fairs cup!! We aim for a top 10 finish, show no ambition in the transfer market or even attempt to win a cup…..a manager who came out and said he was happy to be out of the EL, Montpellier obviously feel as though this lad should be in the CL or playing for an ambitious club, can any of us blame them? It’s like Cabaye leaving us to join a German club not even in a European competition!! Thoughts!!

• Our Toon

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Mike Ashley will leave in the last year of Percy’s contract!! We have another 7 years!!

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Our Toon – 28.

I agree.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Cabaye will leave us on the last day of the window. Can just feel it in my bones.

But i hope we replace him with Cabella instead of having to hear “we tried but couldn’t get anyone over the line” nonsense.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM

But even i personally wouldn’t turn down 26 million pounds for Cabaye.

We can use that money for Cabella, Luuk, Tom Ince and 1 more central midfielder.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Our Toon.

My personal opinion and belief is we have a canny reputation in France as being a “snidey” club.

We play games, we waste peoples time, we are over zelous in negotiating wages amd fee’s. We look for loop holes. Have no problems with players going on strike if it means them leaving there club.

Basically, I think the current regime operate with very little class in france. To be honest, I don’t think we could operate any lower.

It’s purely a money making exercise not a footballing one.

I believe french clubs have caught onto this notion and believe we are only using players as to not further and benefit there careers but only to make money from resales. Which I can understand could hurt a players career if he falls on his face and does not make the grade in this league.

The better club and surrounding players, the best possible chance you have at succeeding in the Premier.

I also think there is alot of jelousy and hatred involved if we have sent graham over on a scouting mission to look for loop holes in french players contracts and to talk to his in the knows.

There is no doubt in my mind. These clubs think NUFC are the worst.

Just look at Blanc’s disrespect that’s been ongoing for a while in regards to Cabaye. It’s not NUFC he dosn’t like it’s Ashley and the regime.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Bedtime for me folks.

Goodnite.

• Our Toon

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Toon Prodigy

I completely agree with you mate

• Sav

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Luke de Jong has a good big neck like Jack Charlton and Duncan Ferguson for heading. Could be decent. Courbis and Nicollin have big necks, too. Montpellier is just a middling rugby town. Maybe if we paid for Cabella in pies, Nicollin would relent. His boy is Vice President. And to think I thought the Halls and Shepherds were bad…Mashley haters, careful what you wish for.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:03 AM

@Toon-Prodigy // Jan 22, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Very well written post. Completely agree with whatever you said. Spot on.

• Sav

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Prodigy and Pur Toon – you don’t suppose having 5 France internationals playing regularly in the same side at the upper end of the prem might have changed that view? Our business crew may be slippery but Carr can spot a player and Pardew is moulding a decent team around his French core of players.
    Blanc and Nicollin were ever arrogant. Don’t kid yourelf we made them that way.

• Sav

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM

The notion that exchanging Cabaye for 4 mediochre players is not necessarily smart given that, last time I checked, you can still only field 11 at any one time. You are in a Mashley mindset if you think that one for 4 is always good business. Exceptional players are, well….exceptional.

• lesh

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:14 AM

So, we’re not getting Cabella after all the false dawns. One can only speculate about the agreement that Nicollin referred to and there’s a strong possibility that it’s been something along the lines of ‘Keep Kinnear as fat away as possible otherwise……..’.

Kinnear, judge him by his signings? I wouldn’t send him to the shop for a bag a tetties – he’s been a complete waste of space so far and if he had any decency about him, he’d resign, smartish.

As far a MYM putting in a good word, how can er expect him to do that when he rarely gets a game?

Hey f-%&g ho.=(