The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Should Sign Mohamed Salah – Here’s Why

5:28 pm, Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 331 Comments

Newcastle were said to be interested in Mohamed Salah a couple of days ago, after it had been widely reported that Liverpool were trying to sign the right winger, who plays at Basel and has been in outstanding form this season.

mohamed Salah

Mohamed Salah – are Newcastle after this player?

The latest news is that Liverpool and his Swiss club Basel seem to have a disagreement on the valuation of the player, and that means the fee is too high for Liverpool.

And if the fee is too high for Liverpool then it is probably far too high for Newcastle.

But with any deal for Remy Cabella only going to take place in the summer, maybe Newcastle want to bring in a player permanently in January – so at least it would break Joe Kinnear’s duck – of not yet signing anybody permanently as Newcastle’s Director of Football.

And if Newcastle want to have any chance of retaining two of our very best players,  Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy in the summer, the club must show they are  trying to build a team that can challenge for the top four in England.

The things we hear from Alan Pardew and Joe Kinnear will hardly persuade Cabaye and Remy that we are an ambitious club, and do nothing to help retain our top players.

Alan keeps telling us that we cannot compete with the top sides in England, and Joe Kinnear has told us in January that the club are under strict financial controls during the January transfer market.

Loic Remy and Yohan Cabaye are both top players who should be playing Champions League football every season, and since they cannot get that at Newcastle they will most likely move to bigger clubs in the summer.

But if Newcastle show they do have some ambition – for instance by signing Mohamed Salah this month, and bringing in Luuk de Jong on loan, and then announcing we have agreed a deal with Montpellier to have Remy Cabella sign in the summer – that would be great.

And if we did that,  we would have a very good chance of signing the two top Frenchmen to long term deals at the club in the summer.

If we don’t – we’ll have no chance of retaining them in the summer – and that’s the truth.

Note: There is a special MJK Sports event coming up like we’d like to publicize. On May 9th there will be an evening with Kevin Keegan at the Lancastrian suite in Gateshead. You can get the details about the event and buy your tickers here.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

331 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM

G2

Ssn interviewed the blackpool owner at his home. I could hear budgies in the background. Maybe we could offer him tips on health-care and butifying them, and he would sell tom ince to nufc in return?

Look, this new beak wax could mean improvements on budgie welfare all over the world. Trust me on this. I am commited to the prosperity of our avian freinds.

• 2 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM

– so at least it would break Joe Kinnear’s duck –

Disgraceful. Duck-breaking is a hideous practice!

• 3 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Argh. SSN full of mackems saying “whav jus gorra gan at thum” and “doant sit back” “wheeve aahhlriddy beyt thum”

• 4 Mister Tuff // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Geordie 2 -no videos today I’m afraid. I will however raise an item of concern. I do believe that the most common phrase owners teach a bugdie to repeat is “who’s a pretty boy, who’s a pretty boy”.
    In view of the previous information about the treatment of our avian friends – perhaps this is now not an appropriate phrase.

• 5 juan // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM

And the reson they won’t 12million

• 6 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Mister tuff

The correct phrase to teach them is “who is an acceptably presented budgie” thus removing sexism.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Yes, yes I can see that Mister Tuff. I’ve always believed in starting my budgies off with something simple like “mackems suck” or “crush the scum”. Braaaaak.

• 8 spitfire_ // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM

We won’t buy anyone. JFK is our “negotiator”.

• 9 jimBOB // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I like the look of Salah – I think we need to consentrate on a striker first, this could just be total drivel but we need a stiker, remy shola and cisse are our only strikers and one of them will be off come the summer. worst case scenario we lose Cisse to Besiktas and Remy leaves in the summer – we are left with shola. oh my. what would we do??? haha

• 10 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM

…also, in keeping with G2′s practice, they need to know the letters s,m and b. In that order.

• 11 Mister Tuff // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM

markaccus – indeed -we need to show the blog is strictly politically correct.

• 12 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I think DeJong is the only likelihood for this January. Cabella the next most likely. Sounds like he is coming, it’s just a matter of when unless we get gazumped.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:53 PM

With their little black and white caps and mufflers on my lot are grooving to Barry White right now. Beautiful. As for your suspicious synthetics Markaccus, are there any petroleum products in there mate? And your beak snuff aphrodisiac isn’t working for me at all btw.

• 14 MassiveG // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I keep fantasising that if I had a billion quid I would buy the club from Ashley for, what, £260m, but I wouldn’t go mad buying Messi for £120m, I’d just make sure we tie up these stupid deals that Ashley and Kinnear tread water on, where they’ve been asked for £9m but we’ll only pay up to £7m for. Does my head in. It’s a real shame we didn’t go in for Thauvin nice and early, not many playmakers in our range (lots of wingers but no playmakers) and I think Capoue is not even a Thauvin-lite.

• 15 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM

G2

I do not know who supplied you with that so called aphrodisiac, but it was not me. Some one may have posed as me, using my well renowned name to peddle their filth.

i only use petroleum in cases of extreme chafing. And then only in tiny amounts. It is just too risky to use more than 1 mg.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Does anyone have decent bodkin and jodhpurs to loan me? I have an important Manly Man banquet coming up and I’ve been nominated in the Manliest Natural Chest Hair category. I’ve decided to wear a chastity belt as well because the women usually go crazy at those events.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Where are your budgies chafing Markaccus mate? Is it their little wing pits? Try mincing up a little banana and mixing it with olive oil. It makes a wonderful natural budgie deodorant. I wear as well at times, although fruit flies can be a problem in summer.

• 18 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Might try that, G2. Thanks.

Is there a catagory for the Manliest natural Ar$e hair? I would easily win that.

• 19 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Some Barry White for Geordies:
    I believe in miracles
    We’ll win the cup, you sexy thing (sexy thing you)
    I believe in miracles
    Since you came along, Alan Pardew
    Beautiful

• 20 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:12 PM

There isn’t sadly Markaccus. Some of the women were a little queasy when we tried that last year. :(

• 21 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I’m at maximum funk now with my Barry White blasting. Will be back soon mates.

• 22 manni // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM

And to think I used to hate williamson,and love Cisse, it just shows what confidence does for you

• 23 clinath@ed // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM

G2….that was Hot Chocolate, not Barry White.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I think Barry re-recorded it clinath@ed mate. Still brilliant number with Geordie lyrics.

• 25 GeordieTwo // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Very interesting manni @22. Should set off a storm of debate. Even moreso than by Barry White/Hot Chocolate offering.

• 26 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM

This club will never win anything under Ashley and will never challenge for the top 4. Forget winning the league. That will never happen at any time unless we get an Arab or Russian owner and who wants that?
    Why will we not win anything?
    The Cups mean Europa Cup football. Enough said I think.
    5th spot in the league would be a disaster.
    4th spot may be attainable if we bought somebody but Ashley would lose more money reinforcing the squad so we are not embarrassed than he would get from getting knocked out in the group stages.
    I cannot see Mashers selling the club any time soon. It is a cash cow for him. Sell Cabs for 25 million and replace him with somebody for 10 million. 15 million profit. Good work if you can get it. Assuming the average wage is 20K a year, that profit is the equivalent of 19 people working 40 years each. A lifetime of work for 19 people and Ashley makes it in an instant. Ashers is here for quite a while yet.

• 27 Oleg G // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Please Salah. Go to Liverpool.

• 28 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM

@22
    Interesting statistics.
    I would agree with nearly all of them; Cabaye and Debuchy have easily been the best two players, in my opinion. Perhaps Santon seems surprisingly high up?

• 29 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Sign Salah, Cabella, Zouma and De Jong in Jan and then sign Benteke, Remy, Siem De Jong and Toby Alderweireld in the summer. Let Cabaye go to PSG for £25m.

• 30 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Santon’s been equally as good as Debuchy.

• 31 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

The stats and most people disagree.

• 32 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Zouma doesnt want to come. Cabella is looking like a summer signing. Not sure where the hell we stand on salah. Benteke would be great in summer but i am not sure he will be too interested to come here. Remy is a merc and no way will he sign. De jong bros cant be a bad idea can it :D . What is alderwierd up to theae days?

• 33 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Toby Aldiweasel, as jfk will no doibt call him

• 34 low fell mag // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I don’t know if anybody can help.
    Today a lad showed me a video clip ,that our old centre forward Micky Quinn had posted.
    The video clip he posted was either on twitter or facebook which I cannot find.
    The clip is new and I think he head lined it Football Rivalry.
    It is absolutely hilarious. It involves a bouncer at Idols taking the mickey out of an old tramp come wino who is a Geordie through and through.
    The bouncer is pretending to be a Sunderland supporter and the old Geordie gives him six nought.
    If you can find this clip it is amazing,and if so tell me how to get it. Superb viewing.

• 35 magicmac // Jan 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Jimiley i could not agree with your comments more, iam 57 years of age now, and although iam from Northern Ireland, ive supported Newcastle United from 7 years of age, and i totally love Newcastle, but i like to tell it as it is, and ive been saying for quite a while now, that Newcastle will never win anything under Mike Ashley, to all the fantastic and loyal Newcastle fans, just settle for mid table or possibly 7th or 8th position while Mr Mike Ashley is our owner, he is simply not going to pay the going rate to compete with the top clubs in the premier league, i will not resort to terrible or rude comments like some people on here about Mike Ashley, iam just spelling out the facts, success unders Mike Ashley just wont happen as he wont spend the cash to compete, simple as, so i have to fully agree with Jimiley, his letter is very much my thinking also, and i know most intelligent Newcastle Fans on this site will agree we wont be winning anything as long as Mr Ashley is our owner, unless a mirricle happens, i wont be holding my breath he he, howay the lads.

• 36 low fell mag // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Sorry ,when I said the old fellow gives the bouncer six nought it is verbally not physical and in good humour.

• 37 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Evening ladies and gentlement :) I can see you have been busy bees!

It’s time for answer to our trivial blog question:

An Clinath was right when he said it was a “Rolling Stones” number!

Senor Tuff elaborated and said the number was called “The Last Time” which is correct :)

Catchy finished the puzzle by adding the song is based on Andrew Loog Oldham’s orchestral version of The Rolling Stones’ song, “The Last Time” :)

And yes there was a court settlement and I didn’t know RS got all the royalties!

He is a link to the song and as you can here it’s plain and simple “Bittersweet Symphony” which out any lyrics:

• 38 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Zouma has stated that he’d be interested in joining us but Chelsea is his preference. Benteke would fit in well here and would want to come. I’d only sign Siem De Jong if Cabaye leaves. It’s annoying, because these players would take us to the next level.

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM

*that was suppose to be English by the way ;) lol

• 40 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Kets- Alderweireld isn’t good enough for us! He’s being found out at Athletico as many who’d seen him at ajax expected!

Debuchy has been twice the player if santon this season contributing more going forward and defending.

Benteke is on a massive long contract at a club roughly the same stature as the toon! (Midtable etc) hes not had a good season but villa don’t sell cheap and would hold out for him to find form before selling him as they’d want 30m + whether hes worth that or not

• 41 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Mike Ashley will never top 20m in transfers in a single window! Hes proven this time and time again! Theres nothing to suggest he’ll change that now!
    Id expect an outlay in jan of 5-10m followed by 15m in the summer

• 42 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Magicmac,

The kids on this blog can only talk about who we might sign. We only sign players when we are in trouble or we make a big sale and bring in a cheaper replacement. Thats no way to move forward.
    I remember Ashleys mate Pardew telling us the 35 million from Carroll would be spent on players. Oh really!!! He missed off the last word…. players WAGES.
    The club is run by people who are only interested in screwing the last quid out of US.

• 43 Toonfan8 // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM

if Ashley want more money, he should sign these type of players, young and hungry like Zouma, Salah, Cabella…their price will rise sky high in the future…and they would like to come here, as they would be first teamers here…

• 44 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Kets,
    This club has no interest in the next level. Mid table is what it is all about. When will you realize that. Profit for the fat man is the watchword.

• 45 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Haha, we are a bigger club than Aston Villa. In terms of performance over the past 20 years, I’d rank us below:

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man City

I think we are a bigger club than Spurs as they only achieve 36,000 ppl per game, whilst we get 52000. They have only recently broken into the Champions league, whereas we’ve been in the champions league and europa cup more than once.

I’d take Vertonghen from Spurs. I think we are better in every department than them apart from the defense. I prefer Eriksen to Cabaye.

• 46 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM

well i’m afraid this guys on his way to liverpool as we speak
    well according to indykiala so must be true! :)

• 47 JaxtheMag // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM

kets have you been on the drink.

• 48 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I don’t rate our chances of competing against Liverpool, when they can afford to pay Suarez 200k a week.

• 49 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM

ancient i would love this guy here but as you say liverpool will out bid us in every way!
    can only see dejong on loan happening tbh now
    but i feel we desperately need wide players more than anything

• 50 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Toonfan 8

After some of our players have been Pardewed their value plummets. I don’t think we’d get much for Cisse, Marveaux, Obertan, Ben Arfa etc now.

Obviously people like Cabaye hold a premium no matter who the manager is.

• 51 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Kets- they’ve won more trophies in the last 20 years… They’ve not been relegated either!
    They are the biggest club in the midlands, nufc the biggest in the north east! Id say we are very similar in stature to be honest! Both big clubs that arent achieving what they should! Id throw spurs in there aswell and everton as similar!

• 52 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Also Spurs have a much stronger squad than ours coupled with a good youth and reserve set up thats got 5/6 players on the cusp of the first team! Don’t be fooled by the fact there players need time to settle because we know about that more than most in the past!
    Lloris, Walker , vertonghan, Rose, lamela, townsend, dembele, lennon, eriksen, chadli, Adebayor , and Soldado would all expect to be first team if they were nufc players not to mention Paulinho, kaboul, Capoue who are top players, give them a season to settle and theyll be a top team

• 53 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:40 PM

For anyone interested and a fairy good analysis on Santon:

• 54 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I’d put Villa behind Spurs and possibly Everton. Everton have been more consistent than Villa. Villa should be aiming for the top 10 every season. We should be aiming for the top 6 at least. I feel that we need to sign 3/4 players this month to have a good chance of qualifying for the champions league.

• 55 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

the american and welsh/north eastern sounding commentary double act on my stream sound hilarious.

• 56 wolfshead@toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

geordie

looking at your sense of humour i would advise giving up writng a detective novel and team up with markaccus to write scripts for vic and bob you will be minted lol

• 57 welshgeordie9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:03 PM

What the latest transfer news anyone

• 58 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Disagree. Maybe Townsend would get into our team with Ben Arfa on the left but Cisse and Remy are better than Soldado and Adebayor. Santon’s miles ahead of Rose. I prefer Debuchy to Walker. Don’t rate Chadli, Lennon, Dembele etc. Anita is better than Paulinho. Krul is better than Lloris. I’d take Eriksen, Vertonghen and Townsend from Spurs.

Spurs would kill for Anita, Santon, Remy, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Sissoko etc.

• 59 DG MAGPIE // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Hi gents,

I work as a steward at SJP but will be in Lanzarote on derby day.

I’ve heard the game isn’t televised ?! Is this correct?

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM

wolfs…read your post about Aphrodite’s Child. Very interesting :)

• 61 wolfshead@toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM

idk if this has been posted

• 62 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Why would we let Cisse leave on loan when we’ll only have De Jong, Remy and Gouffran?

• 63 mindshaft // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Err we were challenging for 4th until last few games of season two years ago under Ashley and we could in theory challenge this season – admittedly a long shot now

I can’t see us buying anyone and if Salehs out of bindippers price range he’s certainly out of ours

• 64 wolfshead@toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM

dont forget strolla haha

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:12 PM

wolfs…who? shoot! I had just forgotten about him ;)

• 66 welshgeordie9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Why does it take us forever signing a player, I bet man utd sign mata before we sign anybody.

• 67 wolfshead@toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:14 PM

jesper

shame the club cant when his contract renewal comes around ;-)

• 68 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Really, we need to sign a top class striker on a permanent deal. Not sure about De Jong. I’d love to see us sign Cabella, Salah and Zouma.

• 69 welshgeordie9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM

God this blog is boring tonight

• 70 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Can’t understand why we say that were going to sign 4 players at the start of the window and havent signed any yet. Its a disgrace. Mike Ashley wants us to finish mid-table every season.

• 71 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM

They never said they were going to sign four players, said they were interested in signing four if the opportunities arose, e.g. Cisse two years ago.

• 72 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM

fakk of arsenal!!

Get French Football ?@GFN_France 1m
    Arsenal’s chief scout Giles Grimandi is present at PSG vs Montpellier tonight. (@GrooverBlog) #Cabella? #PSG #AFC

• 73 brklyngeordie // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Why do we allow ourselves to be bothered by January? Just enjoy what is here at the moment..
    We all are in agreement that Fat Ash has no real ambition but provides a decent enough squad that show some great signs and then a few head scratchers..
    Pards has some nice wins under his belt while here along with some unforgivable losses but who else can work with the men behind the scenes at our club?

• 74 wolfshead@toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM

is this blue wednesday

• 75 brklyngeordie // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM

And why do we always blame player form on Pards why dont we put some on the players?

I am as confused as anyone as to what happen to Cisse and its not as simple as Pards or formations fault we all see he constantly offsides and first touch is just not there at times why i dont know? But no one has been able revive Torres at Chelsea and not as simple as Benitez and Mourinho suck

• 76 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM

wolfs…and tomorrow will be black Thursday!

• 77 wolfshead@toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM

@75

some people never wanted pards and never will no matter what

• 78 Ginger // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM

manxpie

Remember the last player Arsenal swiped from beneath our feet?

Gervinho.

If they do get Cabella I hope he flops for them as well. It seems to be anyone we scout gets a sudden interest in them.

• 79 Novocastrian66 // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Where is Gervinho now?

• 80 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:06 PM

brklyn because its easier

the great brian clough……..

• 81 Ginger // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:07 PM

The thing that annoys me about our club is when we buy a player we take into consideration their wages as part of the total price. For example if we bought Cabella for 10mill and he was on 40k per week on a five year contract we’d consider it as a 20.4m purchase.

Whereas, when we sell people we don’t include this in. It’s awful.

• 82 Ginger // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Novocastrian66

Roma. Was actually doing quite well last I heard.

• 83 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM

aye ginger i remember it well lol
    everyone on here was preying we’d get him infact i think obertan’s done better here and thats saying something

novo i think he went to roma god knows how he’s gettin on there tho?

• 84 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

does the league cup count away goals?

• 85 AaranD // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The top 3 are pretty much set, it’s now a fight for 4th and 5th between Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, ManU and Us.
    Unless we have a magical 2nd half of the season I don’t see us finishing above all those teams.

Liverpool and ManU may be shaky at the back but their front two can just outscore teams.
    Everton are so consistent and very solid. If Lukaku finds form they could be outsiders for CL.
    Us and Spurs are very hot and cold and you need consistency if you are going to challenge the top dogs.

If the players we are linked with do indeed sign, then a possible European place may not be that far out of the question.

5th/6th would be a good season, seeing how relegation was a threat last year.

• 86 martoon // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I’m watching the semi-final and finding I actually want the mackems to equalise. Should I be ashamed of myself and give my head a shake or is it worth it to see Moyes and Man U fans squirm even more?

• 87 AaranD // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Away goals count after extra-time, i think…

• 88 Goodfella // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Manxpie
    after extra time i think.

• 89 Goodfella // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Martoon,
    Give your head a shake ;)

• 90 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM

martoon well i’d hate to see them at wembley mate but if they lost by 6-7 it would make up for it
    and it would be funny to see uniteds season collapse sum more

• 91 martoon // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Definitely after extra time so if it stays 1 – 1 there will be extra time but if still 1 – 1 after extra time then mancs would go through.

• 92 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

i think we all know which way this game will go if it goes to extra time and pens

• 93 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

so does that mean no penalties then?

• 94 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Pens if it finishes 3-3 on aggregate.

• 95 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I want the mackems to get to the final, even win it.

I know it goes against everything most here will agree with but I like to see north east teams doing well in all sports, more success brings more interest, more kids into the game, more funding for local communities and schools too.

• 96 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM

no idea manx i didnt even know about this away goal in the LC thing until the yank commentary started talking about it

• 97 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Does anyone else think the away goals rule for this comp is the wrong way round?

Normally away goals count in normal time but not extra time (other way round with this). Makes sense normally as both teams have a chance 90 mins to get an away goal, but with this system it goes to extra time and if the score stays the say one team goes through…almost pointless having the rule in….it just gives one team an extra 30 mins for the away goal.

• 98 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM

transfer trying to reel us in there hahaha good try marra

• 99 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Also I wouldn’t worry on the link with arsenal and cabella…..why do they need him?

In positions central/wide attacking they have ramsey, wilshire, cazorla, ozil, podolski, walcott, oxlaide chamberlain, even rosicky doing well this year.

• 100 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM

toon tang

I’m being genuine, i like north east sides to win things. We’ve been good in the FA vase with spennymoor and dunston winning it the last couple years, now time for a side to win a major trophy.

• 101 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM

To be honest, I have no idea why the away goal exists at all. Seems very arbitrary to me; might as well decide it on what the drink prices at each ground. Does anyone know from where the away goal originates? Perhaps an archaic rule when grounds varied a lot more than they do now?

• 102 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM

jesus toontang its bad when yanks know more than us ain’t it lol

sage thats all very good and all that but could you imagine the next 5, 10, 15, 20 years till we win 1!

nah if we win 1 1st then fair enough but not them 1st :)

• 103 Ginger // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

manxpie

To be honest I think Gervinho was one a good talent aside from end product. His shooting at times was god awful.

He was getting himself in all the right positions just could rarely execute it, and being that high up the pitch you need to be clinical.

I admit I was one of the ones that really wanted him. Glad we didn’t now.

• 104 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM

manx

I don’t mind, we seem to get a hiding in derbies with them now so that’s stick enough…..i’d like as many trophies up here as possible, ideally with us but good for them to do things as well.

matty

it seems it was brought in to prevent tie breaker games (back when they were more common) and now used to encourage the away teams to attack.

It’s not a rule I like. I’d rather extra time with golden goal followed by pens.

• 105 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM

manx my sentiments exactly mate haha

and sage, aye whatever floats ya boat mate but tbh i honestly dont wanna see them win nowt especially when its been how many years since we have. wouldnt hear the end of that one

• 106 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM

ginger

Gervinho is doing well at roma, maybe arsenal just didn’t suit him as he is finishing chances and creating well over there.

He did waste a lot though, we definitely dodged a bullet.

• 107 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I don’t like either team. Rather Manure get through though, then themselves hammered by City.

I am okay with Moyes but I am happy the glory days for Manure are well and truly over.

Ferguson and the regime he presided over was unique, always got that extra out of their teams. We will not see that again anytime soon and the world will be a better place for it.

• 108 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM

tbh and honestly dont belong that close eh. gramma police would destroy me

• 109 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM

toon tang

I do see the reasons why most wouldn’t want them to win haha. Maybe a bit different for me as closer to durham and most lads I know are sunderland fans, not quite as strong feelings away from the city possibly.

• 110 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

ginger yeah maybe he just wasn’t suited for them
    i was too but only from the dennis wise scouting
    i remember he got bombarded on his facebook by toon fans!
    infact i think ed even put a link up!!

• 111 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Thanks TS :)

• 112 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

P

I think the biggest difference is Moyes. Not because he is a bad manager but because people looked at ferguson’s side and just though if we lose 1-0 to them it won’t be that bad, lets not embarrass ourselves, now teams think we can have a go, test the new manager and see what happens.

Whenever man utd have been attacked in the champions league in recent years they have been undone by a lot of teams, even under fergie.

That squad has been coasting on a mix of reputation and rooney/rvp goals for some time, the rest of the side is very week.

• 113 bills-son // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Mattnufc,

Away goal was brought into European comps to try and incentivise the away team especially in the first leg not to just pack ten men behind the ball for 90 mins.

• 114 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:44 PM

bills

the only problem was that it meant home teams packed a few extra behind the ball not to concede the away goal and away teams continued to sit back.

backfired on them a bit

• 115 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM

danny welbeck is utter dross….how is he a man utd player.

• 116 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Arsenal chief scout watching cabella tonight
    Just our luck
    Watch us get gazzumped as bloody usual

• 117 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:50 PM

yorky

i just can’t see them going for him, they don’t seem to need a player of his type, they have so many more and proven players who play there.

• 118 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:50 PM

sage i think you could add that the crowd are more nervous and anxious as well that stadium certainly had the 12th man

once they turn on moyes that’ll be it for him!

• 119 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM

manx

got a couple pals who are man utd fans and they still seem to back him. They want to see 3/4/5 quality players brought in and him given next season to turn it around.

Not sure if that’s the general view though as a lot of man utd fans are just glory supporters so think they have some divine right to be winning the league every year.

• 120 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Ts
    Hope you right but a strange coincidence that the watching tonight
    Would fit with the messages from them over the last few days about us being a small club

• 121 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM

yorky

there owner said that about mbiwa too though.

Also montpellier were playing (and beat) PSG, so for all they know the scout could have been looking over some PSG players.

• 122 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Cheers Bills, I guess the away goal does indeed have some benefits after all :)

• 123 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM

the longer this game goes on eh ….

• 124 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Zaha is having medical at Cardiff – looks like he will not be coming here and enhances chance of Mata going to Man Utd.

• 125 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

huge mistake by de gea

• 126 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• 127 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Get in get in

• 128 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM

yyyyyyyyyeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss jajajajajajajaja

• 129 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM

hilarious

hopefully we will not see a repeat of the FA cup final last year and Man City will hammer Sunderland in the final

• 130 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM

hahahahahahahah

• 131 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM

only just scored that though jesus

• 132 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

yorky they talk like that all the time but as soon as the moneys on the table its accepted quicker than ever
    and no thoughts or princepals come into question then!
    that president is just there jfk

• 133 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

it gets even funnier

• 134 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Sunderland to win via penalties.

There is no point denying it, I want them to win…

• 135 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Yesss nooo what the hell

• 136 Graeme // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Matt, it was brought in because the Italian teams used to play an 11 man defence away from home, with the objective of scoring 1 goal at home then back to 11 in defence. It was so, so boring but its how the Italian’s played.

• 137 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM

pity we are not playing the mackems this weekend

• 138 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Ancient
    You do realise that if they get to the final they are guaranteed Europe
    Surely you don’t want that

• 139 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Ha ha this is better than the mackems getting stuffed. The look on Poyets face! Come on manure!

• 140 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Hopefully Welbeck takes one haha.

• 141 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Cheers Graeme, didn’t think Italian football could get anymore boring!

• 142 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Yorkymag, I wouldn’t normally want them to win… but I do not like Man Utd more.

• 143 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM

yorky

only get europe if the win it.

FA cup runners up get it if the winners already have it, but league cup is only winners.

• 144 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I like watching pens… as long as the toon aren’t involved.

• 145 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I don’t hold with this north east teams all in it together blah blah I do NOT Want any mackems crowing over getting a cup.

• 146 Graeme // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM

scum, wont win this – where will they get a passport from – you have to prove parentage ffs lmao

• 147 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

hahahahaha

• 148 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

omg scums missd haha

• 149 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Typical Welbeck, what was the gaffer thinking allowing him to take one.

• 150 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

graeme

it’s easy for them to get passports, they all inbreed so same parents

• 151 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

comedy pelanties

• 152 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

lol welback

• 153 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM

lol scums

• 154 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

comen on scums win dis n get religate

• 155 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Of course we don’t like manure. But the mackems…..

• 156 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

yesssssss

• 157 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM

again, comedy pelanties

• 158 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

hahahahahahaha

• 159 lesh // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Ed’s comment (And if Newcastle want to have any chance of retaining two of our very best players, Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy in the summer, the club must show they are trying to build a team that can challenge for the top four in England) will be totally lost on Kinnear and Ashley’s more concerned about the bottom line than losing and having to replace class players. If Kinnear sees that point, he needs all his powers of persuasion to convince Ashley to invest.

So, we can forget signings this window and expect to see departures in the next one.

Hey ho

• 160 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Ts not according to google but you may be right

• 161 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Oh well I never

• 162 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

lol hahahahahaa

• 163 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I wonder if Manure have ever missed this many pens?

• 164 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Phew..

• 165 JAMSHA // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

buhahahahahahaha SCUMS RELEGATEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD YESSSSSSSSSSS

• 166 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Mackems at Wembley. City will mash them.

• 167 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Moyes sends up Welbeck and the team rookie to take a penalty, LMAO.

• 168 Toon Tang // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM

havnt seen such a shit set of pens since us on nearly every occasion , jeez

• 169 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Gutted the Mackems have got to the final :( .

• 170 lesh // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Man U 2-1 up.

Zaha taking medical at…..Cardiff. Cardiff!!

• 171 mattnufc // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM

They were some of the worst personalities I have seen from such a high calibre game. Heaven forbid Welbeck takes a penalty for England in the World Cup.

• 172 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM

yorky

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.
    In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.
    English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.
    Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

I remember going through this in our season we got into europe, so did some research then, it’s overly confusing, runners up shouldn’t get it.

• 173 Charlietoon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM

So does this mean that even if Sunderland lose in the final and get relegated they will have a spot in Europe as runners up? Cant remember how that works?

• 174 clinath@ed // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Well i dont mind admitting it, i cheered when Sunderland got thru, my Dad, rest his soul, would kill me.
    Anything is worth watching Manu squirm!

• 175 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

For those who missed the answer for the trivial blog question earlier on here’s a recap:

And Clinath was right when he said it was a “Rolling Stones” number!

Here is a link to the song and as you can hear it’s plain and simple “Bittersweet Symphony” without any lyrics:

• 176 Moe // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Same here :(

guys, does anyone know how the europa league qualifications thing works this year?

• 177 pawl250 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Anyone saying yes relegated SHUT UP!

This is a massive thing for Sunderland. 1 game and they have cup glory!

Gutted!!

• 178 JackButler // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

As much as I hate Sunderland, there is something enjoyable about watching Man Utd crumble into oblivion under Moyes

• 179 Charlietoon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Thanks TS.

• 180 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Never thought I would see a man u side look so ragged against a mob of scum like that. Man city to repair the damage 5-0 though :)

• 181 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM

And congratulations to Man Utd for kicking out the Mackems :)

• 182 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Man Utd could get relegated this season.

• 183 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM

And now they’ll be on a high when we play them.

• 184 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

tsunki

sunderland are man city’s bogey team it seems though, lost the last 4 at stadium of light and the year they won the title sunderland were the only side they never beat at home

• 185 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

…did I misread that? did the Scum win?

• 186 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

A rubbish cup which only the mackems would take seriously. City to win easily and the scum to be relegated.
    Sad mackems. I would not want to go to wembley to win this cup.

• 187 ramajama // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Charlietoon

Nah mate the FA Cup is the only one that the runners up can get into if the winners are already Europe bound.

• 188 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Thanks ts
    So it’s good for us

• 189 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Same players, different manager, different story.

• 190 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

jimiley

give over, it’s a cup and day out at wembley….i’d love us to win it.

prefer the FA cup but it’s a final and a good day win or lose

• 191 pawl250 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I pray Man Ciy wipe them off the map!

I really do!

This has lifted Sunderlands spirits to the point of helping their league form!

Cannot believe Man Utd penalty takers! They were abysmal!

Welbeck, Januzaj, Jones, Rafael! Even Fletcher’s pen was god awful!

Mind I am disgusted likes of Evra did not step forward, and Carrick! Two players with experience therefore having the ability to keep calm!

• 192 SuperShearer // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Oh Kets, you on the old wacky backy again?

• 193 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

ffs my internet died after me last post and just got back on to see sunderland celebrating so missed all the good bits!!!
    i blame you yorky as i was replying to ya :)
    lets just hope city batter them

• 194 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM

…well I wouldn’t mind winning that cup (not like we are going to win anything else this season?)

• 195 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Just goes to show how limited the Mackems ambitions are that they want to win this cup.

• 196 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Nice to see that even in happy times the first thing the Mackems think of is newcastle
    Are you watching newcastle they sing
    How sad

• 197 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Everyone saying “oh City will smash them” Don’t forget Wigan did it, any given Sunday and all that .

Sad but I would give my right nut to be in the final, even against City . And before anyone says “would you rather be 8th” that is not the point considering we have a much better squad .

• 198 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I doubt Man City will mess up 2 years in a row in a cup final.

Pellegrini is a lot more astute than Mancini and has better squad.

Poyet is a decent manager but, not in the same league as Martinez in terms of experience.

On paper Man City will mash them. However, it’s true, anything can happen in a one-off game. I would not bet anything worth losing on it though.

• 199 pawl250 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Yup, hope they get relegated!

Hope they get the biggest defeat known to man from City and leaves them shivering just at the thought of the day!

• 200 stan anderson // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Wish it was us at Wembley.Lovely thought,but we dont want that do we.Those Mackems deserved it mind,Man U.are total crap.

• 201 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Sage – yes they are but all good things come to an end and I think it will be when cups and medals are on the table, and with returning players from injury trying to drake a first team place, City will rise to the surface and do them over. Let’s face facts, Man U are indeed now a pretty average side. They flattered the mackems somewhat. City won’t I am certain of it.

• 202 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM

The Toon are not interested in winning Cups. Our owners have said so. No point being upset when the Scum try to win a Cup. They are in deep relegation trouble. No crap from them about playing a second string to save themselves for the league. We deserve nowt because we aspire to nowt.

• 203 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

tsunki

man utd’s only strong area is the forwards and they were missing tonight, rooney and rvp and its a different game.

But fair play to sunderland, fully deserve it, knocked out chelsea and man utd so well deserving of a final.

• 204 Graeme // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

So, major question chaps – No matter how many scum get stuffed by at Wembley – They WILL NOT be in Europa Leage?? Is that right? so 6th spot is going to the highest placed team?? Hopefully, that will give Pardew a gee-up.

• 205 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Well what a god awful penalty shoot-out! Neither team deserved to win that it was embarrassing. I wasn’t too fussed about who would win as i hate em both, but as long as City thrash the scum and give them no chance its worked out really well

• 206 yorkymag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Good luck to the Mackems they wanted it so much such a shame we treat the cups with distane I don’t like them one tiny bit but hats off to a job well done

• 207 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Having said that, Man U look like a utility core team, missing it’s key ingredients. RVP And Rooney would have changed the whole look of this game no doubt about that. They are adrift when they aren’t playing.

• 208 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM

If I were to place a double bet on Sunderland’s fate, I would say City will cruise past them in the final but Sunderland will stay up. I prefer that to the other way around but I do not think it is wishful thinking, I think it the most likely outcome.

• 209 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Ha sage typing that same thing and saw your comment has appeared in the meantime.

• 210 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

the mackems are only 2 wins off 10th, the way they are playing they may well get it, they are not a bad side….if they had a forward who scored they’d be climbing the table.

Even Steve Harper stuck the boot in on total sport last night, saying that pardew is simply following orders with weak cup teams (although he did say the side should have beaten cardiff)…I agree on paper yes, but no cabaye through injury we needed remy as our only other goal scorer.

• 211 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Don’t forget Poyet beat the Citeh in his first game!! Impressed with the way they kept football, passing it out the back!! I’d rather be in a final than sitting watching our nearest rival or anyone else in final

Fletcher was the only British player to score a pen….welbeck gardiner, Johnson, fletcher, jones…..no wonder we struggle in pens as a nation (take fletcher out of that)

• 212 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

wat was the score in penalties then how many misses?

• 213 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM

tsunki

yeh both on same wavelength.

• 214 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Graeme…5under1and has to win the Cup in order to qualify for Europe!

• 215 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Man u 5 penalties. Scored 1…

• 216 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

manx

2-1 sunderland

awful pens

• 217 stan anderson // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Totally agree Jim Iley @ 202.

• 218 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I am so glad we didn’t sign that Altidore he has been awful this season. Would much prefer Shola to him

• 219 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

A lad at my pal’s work put £500 on a Sunderland win. I saw the receipt. He’s just won £5000 and his team are in the final.

Fair play to him.

• 220 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Oh well get me earplugs in and listen to a mackem bleating on about it all day tomorrow thanks Moyes you incompetent buffoon.

• 221 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Why did Jones even take it. Valencia is much more natural finisher than him. i could tell he was gonna miss it by just watching walk up to the spot

• 222 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Montpellier beat PSG away from home.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/129338/paris-st-germain-psg-vs-montpellier-herault-sc/player-ratings Check out the Montpellier player ratings, one guy in particular ;)

• 223 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Anybody else think manure looked like us, sitting out a game defending a one goal lead? :) lessons from Pardew?

• 224 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

This has to be a wake up call to Ashley and Pardew that they need to start giving the fans something to cheer.

There’s only so many years they can fill the trophy cabinet with a copy of the accounts instead of a cup.

• 225 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

bloody hell cheers sage n carter
    thats shocking lol

• 226 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

United fans cannot blame that loss on Moyes. They must be deluded to think the players aren’t the problem. i mean c’mon my nan could have saved that Bardsley goal and stand a better chance of scoring a pen then those United players

• 227 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

We need the scum to stay in the league, we lack ambition and it’s the only game we’ll have to look forward to. Gus Poyet has beat man utd over 2 legs and Chelsea in the previous round as well as Citeh in the league….,not bad from GP

• 228 Ancientcoptic // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM

TalkSport is hilarious, Man Utd fans are giving of some proper stink about Moyes.

• 229 p // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I wonder whether there will be a poo in the Man City dressing room when they turn up at Wembley

• 230 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Ancient – which highlights exactly why we haven’t a hope in hell of ever signing him. :(

• 231 Crawfordladd17 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Rubbish cup? The league and the fa cup is basically the same, I prefer the League cup like no non-league rubbish, no pointless replies, you can actually stream the games and it is mid week doesn’t stop a weekend premier league game. Also you still get Europa League, the only difference is money and that doesn’t make that much to the fans.

• 232 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

our toon

I love them in the league, derby’s are what make the season for me, win or lose it’s a great occasion, the passion is amazing and love to see the battles.

NUFCarter

It’s awful, they are garbage, rooney and rvp have carried that team.

I was saying earlier I would take their back four or midfield over hours…maybe pick one or two out of theres to mix and match but if asked to swap for a whole unit I wouldn’t.

It’s just their forwards.

• 233 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

meant i wouldn’t take theirs over ours

• 234 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Tsunki

Moyes has always tried to defend leads….think it’s shocking that they rely on a kid

• 235 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM

There is huge talk this summer RVP and Rooney will both want to leave….they could be in danger.

• 236 santonthenewmaldini // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Honestly its just typical Sunderland have been gash in every game they have played and have still managed to get to the final they should have been out against Southampton or the lower league team that were like 3 goals up(cant mind the name) and then blown away by 4 or 5 goals by Chelsea but they are still in there!

I have a funny feeling they are going to come flying out the blocks next week we need to beat them Pardew has to walk if we dont

WHY DO WE REST PLAYERS IN THE CUP ?!?!?AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 237 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM

seems man utd have got juan mata deal done

• 238 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I watched barca instead of two teams i dont like.
    For those who care, insaw something i had never seen before, after barca were one down at half time, equalised through flukey o.g………..
    Then Barca scored EXACTLY the same goal 3 times. Diagonal through ball from messi, to tello coming off the wing, who got a hat trick. Same scorer, same assister, the passes came from almost identical place on the pitch, and rhe finnishes struck from almost exactly the same spot in the box.

• 239 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

haha P at 229!!!!!!!

• 240 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Would anyone have a cheeky punt on Kagawa on loan or Hernandez? We may use Kagawa in the right way

• 241 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Transfer Sage
    I agree, i would maybe take Evans as a back up defender and Carrick as back up to Tiote. But thats it, they’d just sit on the bench. Wouldn’t touch the rest i.e. Jones, Smalling, Fletcher, Buttner. They’re mostly average prem players

• 242 Graeme // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Jesper, thanks mate.

Its never going to happen, I’ll sleep easy tonight. The thought of a makem in Milan was making me ill!!!!

• 243 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I still think people are being a bit premature about the demise of man utd.

• 244 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM

mark are you sure ya didn’t have it on repeat?

• 245 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Ourtoon

i would take cheatarito. He is a tidy striker when he isnt diving

• 246 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Damn. yep chelsea have accepted a 37mil bid from United for Mata

• 247 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Manx

lol i would have checked that, but the score said 1-4. Seriously, check the goals out if you get a chance. Carbon copies almost

• 248 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Despite what some have said, this is a good move for mata and man u. He will play every game for them and all of a sudden they have a midfeild to worry about.

• 249 NUFCarter // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I thought this would be the start of United demise. As now Fergies gone i’d thought the glazer family would try to deal with their hundreds of millions of pounds of debt and so avoid paying huge transfer fees and just stick with what they’ve got. Obviously not if they’re throwing 37mil at Chelsea for Mata…..or maybe Rooney is going the other way in the summer

• 250 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Neville was saying something that you have to go and get the goals to kill off games if you go ahead. That’ll have been drilled into him from Ferguson.

Something which Pardew has a reluctance to do.

• 251 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Markaccus

I think he’s guaranteed 20+ goals mate, I don’t mind the diving all players do it now and it’s something that will never leave the game….I’d rather have someone dive for us then have some numpty dive against us

How much of a boost is this for the scum….just before they play us as well!!

• 252 Mister Tuff // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:07 PM

ancientcoptic – with Montpellier beating PSG in the French Cup -may be bad news this window for the Toon. First because Cabella was the best player on the night – interest (value) may increase.
    Montpellier are down to the last 8 so may fancy their chances at getting a cup this season and with the next cup games after the window closes -might enforce the decision to keep him until the summer.

• 253 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM

the reason mata doesn’t play for chelsea is because he isn’t a mourinho’s kind of player just like arfa wouldn’t play under his management either

there was a good thing on motd about oscar and how hard he works for the team in attack and defence and that guys played a crazy ammount of games in the last 2 years

kind of shows how a simple change of arfas mindset could actually fulfill his potential!?

• 254 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Nufcarter

rumour this morning was roo to real madrid in summer. Supposedly he would be the most affordable of their alleged targets. (Suarez, aguero and falcao are the others)

• 255 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Our toon

could be a boost or could be a burden. How many lowly teams have made cup finals in recent years and been relegated. Quite a few if you think about it. Derby factor takes all recent form ojt of the equation anyway :D

• 256 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Mourinho has always said he wouldn’t sell to a rival, he didn’t loan Ba to arsenal in the summer for this reason alone…..what’s the odds that Chelsea have agreed to take Rooney in the summer as he will be in last yr of contract…hence mata moving now?

• 257 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM

manxpie,
    Agree but Ben has not got the engine to attack and get back and defend. Not many players do.

• 258 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Our toon

on diving….. i dont so much mind the “going down easily”, its the blatant back flips with double.slako and twist that p1ss me off. Ashley young is a horrible cheating c#nt and deserves to have his legs removed.

• 259 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Our toon

maybe mourinho doesnt see man u as a rival this year lol

• 260 jimiley // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM

It seems like any old crap team can get to Wembley and sometimes win a cup except us. We are not trying to win owt under Ashley. Disgusting. We are not fit for purpose. We are only fit to stay in the league and make money for the bandit.

• 261 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I always thought Manures next manager would have been jose. Imagine the team he could have assembled there with his and the clubs combined pull. Frightening. I think it would have rivaled mega bucks citeh.

• 262 Graeme // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Jimmiley – you sussed it mate Pardew & FCB – Smokey & The Bandit lol. A proper pair of Ijits.

• 263 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Ok. Flying visit. Time for bed. Night all.

• 264 santonthenewmaldini // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM

The worrying thing is the transfer window is still not closed Cabaye could be away and then we would have Sunderland pretty much the day after the window closes scary thought

• 265 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Very true Markacuss mate, think only 1 or 2 teams have gone down from good cup runs to finals though

Manxpie

I don’t buy that mate, he plays hazard weekly and he doesn’t track back at all, instead Ramires will fill in for him, Mourinho just doesn’t rate Mata!! He has Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Schurrle and Lampard to play behind the forward or out wide (except lampard) to many similar players hence Mata being frozen out!!

At Madrid he played De Maria and Ronaldo, 2 of the laziest players when it comes to tracking back

• 266 stupot // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM

We need to buy quick after mac cams result! Freshen things up and proper comp for places

• 267 jimmysmith // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I’m not convinced Cabaye to PSG is a goer at all. Surely the exorbitant taxes make it unattractive, along with the lack of genuinely big games in Ligue I. He’ll get Champions league, but not a guaranteed place.

At the Toon he is the main man in front of 50 000 howling Geordies and gets to play in around twenty big, big, games a year in the most glamorous league in the world.

I think if he is offered better terms at the Toon, he’s a decent shout to take them.

• 268 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM

8 days till the window shuts….we haven’t got our top transfer target in on loan yet (surely it can’t be hard to loan a guy who gets 5mins a week) Cabella looks unlikely, so what do we have left?

• 269 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:35 PM

mark only joking and i will do lol

• 270 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Jimmy

The player has welcomed a move to PSG though hasn’t he? PSG is the club to play for in France, he will get champions league which he craves on a yearly basis as well as the chance to win things!! Ask yourself why would he want to stay here?

A club with no ambition
    No intention of winning anything
    Top 10 finish as top target for this season
    A manager who said he was happy to be out of the EL
    A squad that can’t compete in more than 1 competition
    An owner who last signed a player on a permanent basis over a year ago!!
    A club that last won something in the fairs cup

These are the very reasons Montpellier manager and owners think that going from them to us is like a sidestep or backward step rather than a move forward!! I hate to say it but unless you are from the area we are just a STEPPING STONE to bigger things

• 271 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM

ourtoon hazard works very hard as a player
    and so does ronaldo lol infact if arfa did half as much as ronaldo i’d be very happy
    how can you call ronaldo lazy!?

• 272 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:45 PM

ourtoon they said exactly the same about mbiwa but as soon as the money was in front of there eyes they sold no problem!

• 273 Our Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Manxpie

Ronaldo is one of the laziest players mate, I’ve seen him play live numerous times, especially at Madrid and even the locals concede he is lazy when the opposition have the ball but when Madrid have the ball he’s completely different!! Ronaldo very rarely tracks back, and if he does it’s just to occupy a position, he doesn’t make an effort in challenging

The same for Hazard I haven’t seen much of him live but from what I have seen and especially the man utd game this weekend Hazard occupies an area but it’s so easy to around him / lose him!! Willian works incredibly hard as does Oscar but it’s well know that hazard doesn’t like that part of the game!! Watch both players carefully mate

• 274 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Talk in france atm is that 1) PSGs senior players ibra and motta have said Cabaye isn’t world class and don’t think hel improve the side. 2)the qataris feel the mark up of players from the EPL is too steep and 3) and most importantly Cabaye is giving negative signals on the move as PSG are 95% taking Pogba in the summer for a stupid fee and cabaye is concerned he would be a squad player. French rumours are that cabaye is happier now at Newcastle and is interested in seeing how they strengthen before commiting to staying or going

• 275 manxpie // Jan 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM

ourtoon i’m not just talking about tracking back
    i’m talking about as a player in a team he works very hard for 90 mins i.e always switched on
    ronaldo i bet gets 1 of the top miles run in every game he plays
    when he was at man u he worked all over the pitch i remember many times him running from defending a corner then sprinting the whole length of the pitch to assist or create a chance
    he certainly aint lazy like

• 276 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM

jayphoto are you based in france or are a sometimes?
    i don’t know if it was u or torq, but someone said last night that in france we were not looked apon in a great light?
    but i’m sure i remember u or torq said we had great press there?

• 277 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Football would be a very boring game if every offensive player had to track back, especially when playing two DM’s .

• 278 jimmysmith // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I think if it were one of the big guns in the EPL or Spain or even Germany, we’d have little chance of holding on to him, but PSG seems less attractive all things considered.

I don’t remember him saying he wanted to go to there explicitly. I remember him saying he would be flattered if they were interested, or something along those lines. I might well be wrong though, admittedly.

I do recognize the lure of Champions League though, and the desire to play for a very elite club, which we clearly are not.

Although what he does get at Newcastle is by no means necessarily less than what he might get at PSG, all in all and as far as I can tell.

• 279 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Manxpie

I guess that’s where we differ on the working hard aspect mate, I wonder just how switched on Ronaldo and Hazard would be here under a manager who would want them to track back (work hard) with the ball at their feet both players you mention are exceptional as well as there movement imagine them in a team without much of the ball, imagine them playing for us….would you think they work hard then or just a luxury?

I personally think players like hazard Ronaldo etc are exceptional ball players and will play well in teams that have possession but take them out of such teams and well most on here would say they are lazy because they don’t track back!! My personal opinion is that they work just as hard as HBA without the ball if not worse in some cases but yet we praise this type of player elsewhere (not comparing them on ability but comparing the type of players they are)

• 280 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

the gamble with a club like psg is if cabeye had a couple of bad games or didn’t fit the team he can be replaced instantly or upgraded in every window
    he’s got it very good here fans adore him!

• 281 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Manxpie I work in Paris a fair bit, 10-12 times a year some years so kinda got into french football 4/5 years ago! Can read french so tend to keep an eye on their sports! Not sure how nufc is seen by the players but the french press see nufc as almost slave traders stealing french talent for discount prices! Most french people don’t understand why any french player ever doesn’t sign for Arsenal who are most french ppls second club!
    Think it might have been torq who mentioned it tho, hes french based all tear round and think he works with some clubs there, lyon and st ettiene? whereas I have no contacts with any clubs bar villa and stoke who ive worked fr in the past

• 282 santonthenewmaldini // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Thing with Cabaye is he is a winner and deserves to be playing for a club with a little ambition !

I honestly think he loves it here in terms of the fans and some of the players that he gets to play with but the problem is we have had about 3 chances to properly kick on(last 2 summers and this window) with buying new players to make us compete at the top end of the table and we have let the likes of Cabaye down by penny pinching or just not bothering trying to sign anyone !

When you look at the gap between us and 4th place imagine if we had have signed another striker and winger in the summer ?We might even be as high as 3rd at the moment we might not have been as well but we will never know as we never show the ambition to properly push on

• 283 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Big pappa

I agree with you mate, I personally think defenders should firstly defend and players like HBA shouldn’t be babysitters for FB’s yet we look at the likes of Coutinho etc and say these are exceptional players yet work as hard as HBA tracking back!! Tiote and Anita is enough cover, we should concentrate more on ball retention which would mean less babysitting

• 284 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Anyone who thinks Ronaldo does not do a defensive job for his team clearly has never seen him play.

HBA is an embarrassment and should be moved on. Simple.

• 285 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Think we need 3 players in january, a right wing, left wing and centre forward (id take dejong, cabella and Zaha) and then 3 ( if remy doesnt sign) more in the summer (a replacement for remy, shola and Colo) to realistically look to break the top 4! (Or just all 6 in the summer)
    Don’t think we are massive investment away from top 4, 25m spent properly could propel us to where liverpool are aslong as no1 from the starting 11 leaves

• 286 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM

forgod sake tracking back isn’t the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    work rate is!!!! and working for your team mates is!!!
    you say there exeptional BALL PLAYERS
    well that is my point arfa is great on the ball but not so much off it or releasing it at the right time or place
    if hazard lost the ball and made no attempt to win it back he wouldn’t be in mourinho’s team
    and if ronaldo was the same he wouldn’t be the top player he is
    arfa’s decision making is shocking and obviously has been his whole career
    sage i think posted his stats a while ago and its no where near wat you’d think it would be with the talent he’s got
    so its not about pardew telling him to “babysit”
    the facts are ronaldo has worked continuously on his game and got to the top
    hazard is on the way to doing the same
    arfa hasn’t and has just got a bit chubby

• 287 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:22 AM

@ciaran – couldn’t care less if HBA didn’t defend at all! Problem with him is that his decision making is awful! No idea of when to pass/shoot/run! I wouldn’t be fussed if he left tbh!
    True on ronaldo tho! Works his ass of pressing from the front! So does messi and neymar too! And suarez! The only top top level player who doesnt that i can think of is ibrahimovic

• 288 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM

cheers jay good to know surprised by the press tho but then again its a good story for them!
    but i think players must see it as a good oppertunity
    kemen seems to have took to the place after his 100′s of retweets the other night lol

• 289 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Ive always said, france is full of ben arfa like players and has been for a while (tho they all play for North African nations) players like taarabt, boudebouz, brahimi… All go past players with ease, they always end up being found out and ending up at lower midtable teams where they can be show ponies and not worry about winning! Its a common mentality amongst north african descent players that they would rather be man of the match in a losing team than win but not getting any individual plaudits

• 290 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Jayphoto/Manx

Touched on the true issue – work rate. HBA is a lazy sod, not because he doesn’t track back, but simply because he doesn’t give everything.

Hazard busts his ass, as does Ronaldo, as do all the top players. HBA won’t make it, not because he doesn’t ‘babysit’ full backs, but simply because he doesn’t care enough to do the job he is supposed to do.

If NUFC fans took enough time to take their heads out of their asses they would know a good player from a duffer. Alas we have what we have.

• 291 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 AM

@manxpie – french press are very patriotic tho (and a little anti english) Arsenal aside they dislike any foreign teams that buy up french talent weakening ligue1!
    They better get used to it tho! Teams that aren’t monaco and PSG will lose any player that can kick a ball 5 yards now due to tax! Not just to premier league clubs either! Expecting a lot to go into the championship aswell as the swiss and german leagues

• 292 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 AM

HBA biggest issue is his decision making, which has recently changed from tracking back, from not working hard enough…….Ciaran mate I’ve been very fortunate enough to watch some of Real’s games this season and Ronaldo doesn’t track back, when he does he makes very little effort to win the ball back…..he occupies an area

As for pressing, yes he does that high up the pitch but that’s because the manager wants them to press high up the pitch, we prefer to sit back and defend big difference!! If we pressed high up I’m sure all the attacking players would do so, it’s easier to press up the pitch than it is to follow runs

• 293 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:34 AM

@ciaran- too true! Too many fans are fooled coz he shows nice touches dancing past wingers and centre forwards in our own half!
    When it comes down to it, he doesn’t score enough, assist enough or create chances for others! The only thing he does is complete runs but whats the point if theres no end result

• 294 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Our toon

Funny how you lambaste Ronaldo’s high pressing and fail to notice HBA’s lack of pressing. In the 3 years he has been here has he ever pressed anyone? Ever!?

Comparisons are futile my friend.

• 295 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Honestly, I’d rather have Jonas than HBA, at least he offers something of some worth to the team on the balance of probabilities.

On the balance of probabilities, it is more likely HBA will lose the ball, fail to pass, and shoot the ball into row Z than it is that he will do anything of note. He has no place in our first team squad – sadly, that also counts for the majority of players who currently occupy our first team squad. HBA is merely one of the more talented players who do not deserve to be here.

• 296 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM

well the funny thing ruddy is my argument with that danish guy was about the same thing and wat really annoyed me is that he told me ” i only see wat i want to see!!”
    i.e his opinion is the right one because he see’s everything!
    “babysitting” is a myth!!
    workrate should be guarrenteed at every level of sport let alone football if arfa doesn’t see that part of his game then he will never make it anywhere near the top! sad but true

btw we’ve gotta stop agreeing soon it just doesn’t feel right! :)

• 297 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Ronaldo, Messi are in a different class!! Then you have the Riberys robben, hazard etc type players, very selfish very good players but not consistent on odd occasions!! A level below that is your Coutinhos and HBA type players who are inconsistent but can win you the match on there day!! I’d rather have a game changer who btw has assisted more and scored more than Sissoko is less than half the games sissokos played in than an Obertan or a Sissoko on the wing!! Depends on the type of football we play as a club, pressing high up is the new way of playing attacking players prefer to press rather than track runs. Adopt a modern style and get the best out of players!!

• 298 jayphoto // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Can’t compare ronaldo and HBA as one has a devasting effectiveness in the attacking side of the game whereas t’other runs with the ball off the pitch an awful lot

• 299 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Ciaran

No one in our team presses high up the pitch!! We sit back and try to pinch a goal!! The win against a very poor hammers side was only the 7th time in 50 games that we’ve won by a 2 goal margin or more!! We have a rigid system, we’ll see how HBA etc perform when sold in the summer (out of contract 2015) who will Percy look to when wanting a miracle!!

• 300 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:44 AM

jay aye i wonder why they hate the english so much the surrendering monkeys!!:)

is the economy so bad that they have to charge 80% tax!?
    some very good players will certainly become available soon then
    does it come in next season then?

• 301 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Coutinho and HBA are of the same class? Behave. Coutinho has vision that HBA could only dream of having.

Manx

We disagree more on a personal level rather than a football one – ie I be a bit of bollocks at times haha

You are spot on in what you are saying. Without work rate, talent is useless. The best players in the world are not only talented, but exceptionally hard working. Some people neglect the work that these top players put in because they can only see the attacking side of their games. Arjen Robben bombs up and down the wing all game, every game. Hazard also puts in a defensive shift – which is why Mata is on the bench (although I disagree with Mourinho because Mata is world class, 100% more than HBA ever was/is/will be) and Ronaldo/Messi are a cut above that even more.

• 302 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Jay

Agreed mate Messi and Ronaldo are just miles ahead of the rest

• 303 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:47 AM

ourtoon tell us the attacking players pardews got the option of?

• 304 wolfshead@toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM

mackems in a final ffs ashley out

• 305 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Our Toon

HBA is a luxury sub as it is. When he needs a miracle AP would rather stick on Shola or Cisse because AP recognises HBA for what he is – a show pony.

Put in an Arsenal team, Man U team or Chelsea team, HBA might get away with it. However, at NUFC he is shown up for the lazy, blinkered, one trick pony that he is. Time to say bye bye to HBA.

In a choice between HBA or Cabaye, I would keep Cabaye every single day of the week – Sorry Cyprus, you are 110% wrong on that score.

• 306 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Ciaran

Coutinho has that type of vision mainly because of the players he has around him, Suarez movement is probably the best in the league or on par with Aguero!! Coutinho is poor in front of goal, doesn’t track back and doesn’t really press….as BR said though I bought him for what he does as a forward thinking player not for a defensive role!!

• 307 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Our Toon

Yes – financial reasons! Also, Coutinho has, at the ripe old age of 21 has already shown a willingness to add work rate to his game. How old is HBA?

• 308 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:55 AM

well ruddy i know i can be sometimes too not quite as much as you tho i’ll have to start learning from ya lol
    i got slagged of by that danish fella today even tho i wasn’t on and then catchy came in!! i need ya back on the blog to take some flak lol

totally agree look at bale as well worked his ass off from a very young age and got to the top
    the only players i can think of that made the game “look” very easy is zidane and pirlo and they weren’t wide players

• 309 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Anyway, discussions about players is pointless. Ashley only wants us hovering around mid-table, and as we stand, we will always have a squad capable of fulfilling that potential.

Peace out homies

• 310 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Ciaran

Cabaye and HBA play in completely different positions but agree with you that I’d rather keep Cabaye!!

Coutinho 2 goals 2 assists this season he’s had 67 shots at goal and 21 on target, that’s from 17 games!!

HBA has 3 goals and 5 assists from 9 starts and 9 bench appearances!! He’s had 36 shots and 10 on target

Coutinho plays with Suarez and Sturridge every week and HBA rare plays these days but when he does he plays with Remy and Gouffran

• 311 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM

ourtoon again tell us pardews attacking option especially after this statement!??

“We have Shola, Cisse and Remy and the movement of them 3 is shocking to say the least!! Sometimes you need to look at the players around you mate!! Inter Milan let this kid go for a reason!!”??

• 312 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Manx

People don’t take me seriously. They call me an ‘extremist’ and assume I am full of nonsense with an agenda to plug.

Yes, I have an agenda – to rid our club of Mike Ashley. I also have strong opinions on a wide range of issues. Some of which I maintain are right, others which have proven to be wrong. So be it.

This blog has become boring in recent times because others have hijacked it. Which is a shame.

I never disliked you, despite the little pot-shots you used to take haha

Have a good one!

• 313 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Ciaran they didn’t let him go for financial reasons as his replacement cost more money

Manxpie

That statement you refer to should be laid out in its full context, Coutinho has Suarez etc who’s movement is much better than Remy etc hence why it looks like Coutinho has better vision!! Percy has no options upfront mate not like Suarez type players but this puppet is the same man who said if he required players he’d bang on the owners door and could get him to part with his cash!! He can change his style though which might make us better as an attacking team

• 314 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Our Toon

They signed Kuzmanovic for an undisclosed fee…

• 315 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM

you too ruddy lol

as you know i changed my stance on ashley last summer and i’m with ya on that

and as for the blog alot of posters have dispersed massivley actually
    wwsbrd used to be posting alot and was a good poster
    hardly ever see him now (maybe he’s got a job at last) :)
    but maybe it’s the fact its turned into a dating site with the usuals (how is it in america or oh i’ve dropped my phone in some water!) or goose shagging or anything else that comes out of G2′s very vic n bobs or monty pythons head of his lol
    but the fact is we used to have alot more interaction than wats on now maybe its eds set up i can’t get on on me phone any more so i can’t defend myself in the day time when i’m at work!
    god knows wat it is but i hope it changes!

• 316 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM

ourtoon so your argument about pardew not having great options in attack is bringing up a statement from 3 years ago!?

come on mate you and i know he’s working under stringent constraints and the squad isn’t full of attacking options!
    name me 2 wingers at the club?

• 317 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM

that are good enough week in week out!?

• 318 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Ciaran

Inter Milan sold Coutinho for £8.8m and bought Matteo Kovacic as his replacement for £9.68m as his direct replacement Matteo moved on 31/1/13 and Coutinho was sold on 30/01/13

Kuzmanovic is a DM so why replace a young attacking midfielder with a defensive one? So why replace a 20 yr old with an 18 yr old kid who cost slightly more!!

• 319 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Manxpie

Ask yourself why are our wingers not good enough consistently instead, I firmly believe it’s the defensive mentality which affects the attacking players!!

Before we played west ham who btw had Matty Taylor playing right back (a midfielder) we struggled, why have we only won by 2 goals or more 7 times in 50 games? Btw out of them 7 games 2 were against Leeds and Chesterfield (or whoever we played in CC 2nd rd) the other was against 9 Man Stoke

Attacking players are restricted hence why the best performers on a weekly basis are the defensive players!!

• 320 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM

ourtoon its not about our wingers not being good enough its about we haven’t got any wingers!

and btw we should’ve been 5-0 up by halftime against west ham so hardly struggled
    but u and other posters seem to think that a team can play well for 90 mins but please tell me (even the top teams) that do that in the prem
    you’ll prob say man city but look at our game against them we were the better team and lost if pardew had more options upfront we’d be able to go at teams but we don’t
    but please tell me a team that dominates consistantly for 90 mins in the prem!?

• 321 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Manxpie

Did I mention dominating a game for 90mins? And please read what I write…..I said before we played west ham Matty Taylor blah blah we struggled, before we played them 1 goal in 4 games proves it

Seeing as you have bought up dominating games for 90mins, it’s our manager who comes out in front of the cameras and says “we was controlling the game up until they scored” winning by 1 goal is not controlling a game…explain this to me then, we have lost the most pts from winning positions this season and we have won once when conceding the 1st goal in a game (9 Man Stoke) can you explain to me why that is?

Here’s a list of games where we’ve been leading and then tried to hold what we had or an inspirational team talk ensured we were dross for the 2nd period!!

Hull City 2-1 at HT lost 3-2
    Norwich who were beat 7-0 the week before, leading 2-0 then shocking for the 2nd half and held on for 2-1
    Spurs away got murdered in that 2nd half thank god for Krul
    WBA at home, winning 1-0 and in complete control 2nd half we were awful held on for a 2-1 win

These are just a couple of examples but I can name at least 20+ games like reading last season or Cardiff in the cup!! Yes teams will have spells against us everyone accepts that, but to have an entire half change or do a 180 is just not acceptable

• 322 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM

no but i did ask u to list our attacking players that pardew has that u didn’t answer so i narrowed it down to just our wingers which u still havent answered!??

and you bring up games perfectly proving my point

i’ll repeat this quote by 1 of the best managers!!!

brian clough………… “Players lose you games, not tactics. There’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.

• 323 manxpie // Jan 23, 2014 at 2:07 AM

anyways night ourtoon i’m off mate

• 324 Our Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Good night mate and good debate, attacking wingers or players that can play there….HBA, Gouffran, Remy, Sammy, Marv!! Obertan is pants!! Enough players in a wide position for Percy to utilise!!

• 325 gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb) // Jan 23, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Joe Kinnear: “Judge me on my signings.”

….

• 326 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Who is this Joke InEar you are talking about?

…does he work for us? ;)

• 327 Ben3arfa // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:11 AM

I never realised Joe Kinnear almost died a second time after suffering the heart attack whilst in charge of us (some sort of blood infection).

I think Ashley gave him the job here out of sympathy for the old sod, completely ignoring that he is out of his depth and will only depress fans at the expense of satisfying his disgusting ego.

• 328 catchy in norway // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:33 AM

manx

read this

most people have got them wrong

• 329 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM

catchy

they are so good that you can allow them to not defend, we don’t have players that good

• 330 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:50 AM

they are also part of such dominant sides that they could play with 10 and not see the difference most games….we aren’t that good

• 331 catchy in norway // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Transfer Sage

I 100% agree, and that was not my point

if someone come on here and says that the players should follow messi and Ronaldo as examples at tracking back, then may be there picking the wrong players as examples,,

ribery , now he tracks back

but I am of the opinion that attack is the best form of defence , and that in a team of 11, you have to split the team into 2 parts defend and attack,
    some players should only think defend , some should think only attack ( unless set piece situations) say corners, send all the big defenders up or get all the big forwards back

we as a team focus way to much on everybody defending,

previous post: Coloccini Could Miss Next Four Games