The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Reports Newcastle Defender Could Leave In January

9:35 am, Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

It’s not for the first time there is news from the Italian press that an Italian club is interested in taking Newcastle’s Italian International left-back Davide Santon back home to Italy.

davide santon liverpool

Davide Santon – in action against Liverpool

This time it’s AC Milan who are being linked with a move for Davide, and that’s the club the 23 year-old supported as a boy, even though he was signed as a 14 year-old by rivals Inter-Milan back in 2004, and was managed by Jose Mourinho, who in fact shifted him from being a right winger to a left back.

The report this time is in RaiSport1, and the news is that Milan will try to get a deal done in January, although the likelihood of Newcastle losing Davide this month seems to be very low, unless a huge fee is involved.

When Jose Enrique was at the club, the Spaniard didn’t have much competition at left-back, but these days the club have some good left backs with 21 year-old Frenchmen Massadio Haidara pushing Davide hard, for the first team starting position.

And we also have 22 year-old local lad Paul Dummett, who has shown this season he can play well in the Premier League and recently signed a six-year deal at his home town club.

Utility man Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has played well for Newcastle on both full-back positions, and Ryan Taylor, currently out with an ACL knee injury. can also play in either full-back position.

So it wouldn’t surprise us too much if Newcastle were willing to sell Davide in the summer at the right price – but that would need to be at least double the £5M paid Inter-Milan for the lad in the summer of 2011.

Davide has become a much better player while at Newcastle, but he also seems to love life  and certainly seems happy on Tyneside.

But as with any Newcastle player if a massive bid comes in for Davide, Mike Ashley would be willing to sell – even in January, because we have adequate cover at left back at the club at the moment.

Note: There is a special MJK Sports event coming up like we’d like to publicize. On May 9th there will be an evening with Kevin Keegan at the Lancastrian suite in Gateshead. You can get the details about the event and buy your tickers here.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Davide Santon · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:36 AM

whether people rate him or not it’s no great loss with dummett coming through and haidara

• 2 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Possibly the only first team player I’m not fussed to see stay or leave! Downside on santon i guess is that’ll he’ll probably go to a top italian team and fulfil his potential, win 100 caps for italy etc

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Beg the difference TS

…but then again I rate Santon very highly

• 4 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Catchy

i can go along with that to an extent. Debuchy is not poor. So pardew could rein him in a tad. I do not think santon is the answer though. He leaves holes at the back, even if he hasn’t gone that far forward. Hence when goofy plays there he is always knackered.

It is a wide players job to cover a fb every now and then. I do accept ours seem to think they are playing for barca and are forward too much, and i do accept its up to pardew to pull them back. That being said, if hba is on the pitch id still rather have him central.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM

jesper

I don’t think the lad can defend and never seems to bust a gut to get back after an attack.

Much rather have dummet in the side myself.

• 6 Markaccus // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I think its worth selling him. He is a decent player, but we have two more conventional LB’s coming through.

• 7 cjtoon // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Off topic but if Juan Mata goes to Man Utd for a reported £23.5 million fee, that is a bargain! He was imo the best player in the PL last season! I would love a world in which this is the sort of deal we would be looking at!

• 8 bills-son // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Journal reporting ManU not interested in Cabaye because Moyes reckons he isn’t world class.

But Fellaini is?

• 9 Spoof // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Santon is a puzzle for me, from the first time I saw him I said he has no chance of being a decent fullback, and up until the last 2 or so months I have seen nothing to make me think differently, however, of late his suicidal runs have all but vanished, he is still an attacking fullback but a lot more controlled, when was he last destroyed by constantly being caughtout of position, yes now and again he still is which happens to all attacking fullbacks, but he has really improved of late, defensively he is far better than what he was, he still has a way to go but now that the improvements are coming I would hang on to him, he is also starting to use his left foot a bit which is a great sign, for now I would keep him as he is getting much better.

• 10 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Think with santon is, hes predictable as he is forever cutting inside! Haidara and dummett give us more balance and something on the outside as we seem to always play inverted wingers

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM

TS…I have seen what happens when are end up having to defend – I want us to go forward and forward Santon goes ;)

…I don’t see Dummett nor Haidara as future International fullbacks, but that is what Santon is :) One of my favorite players here.

• 12 Slank // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM

With Massadio Haidara and Paul Dummitt plus Yanga-Mbiwa and not forgetting Raylor we have plenty of cover at left back and so if Santon was sold it would not hurt us.

Personally I think Haidara and Dummitt are a better fit in the team as both are left footed which is what is required in a left back.

• 13 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM

jesper

I’ll give you HBA should have a bit of a license but the fullback is mainly a defender, attacking is secondary to him. That’s how I see it anyway, good for him to help attack but needs to be able to defend.

I see dummett as an international full back in the future.

• 14 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Ryan taylor a LB

he was a disaster at LB.

Doubt he will ever play in the PL again.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM

TS…depends on how you see football ;) what is the job of the midfielder then?

…cheeky question here though, but why do you think some like their fullbacks to go forward? ;)

• 16 Slank // Jan 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Jayphoto

Totally agree.

Haidara and Dummitt give us more balance with a greater amount of left wing crosses possible.

• 17 bobby mango // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Like many others I think it’s the one position we’re over endowed in. He has his faults as well, was responsible for a lot conceded goals last season.
    So, if a good bid comes in, I won’t cry over it.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Wouldn’t be to fussed if Santon went if we invested in a young RB to keep Debuchy on his toes.

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Sage from previous
    Agree on manure as it stands wouldn’t take there defence or midfield, well maybe carrick
    But would defo have De Gea, he’s a much better all round keeper where beyond shot stopping Krul hasn’t improved, he’s dominant enough in commanding his area and his distribution is awful and never looks comfortable when the ball gets played back to him

Like I said great shot stopper, but for me De Gea is the better all round keeper, for me he’s the same as Santon, there are the two squad places I feel for the money we’d get we could get an equal or better replacement

• 20 Ian Toon // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM

@8 – Quite. Since when has Moyes been a good judge of a player. We can all rate the no brainer types like Mata.

On Santon I rate him but this might be the optimum time to sell him if the offer is substantial and it frees up the Ashley purse strings. We are still capable of a 5th place finish- I’ve done the numbers on the BBC predictor. Everton, Spurs and Man Utd are in contention- says mistic Meg.

• 21 Transfer Sage // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM

jesper

I think the midfielder question is difficult. But using the 3 in the middle i would, anita, tiote and cabaye I’d say….

tiote – sit in a defensive position and provide cover, link the defence to the rest of the midfield (little passes to anita or out wide).

anita – keep the play moving, getting forward to support the attack when in possession and using his pace to track back when losing the ball, he has shown he can do this

cabaye – play behind the striker to feed him, or the wide 2, passes, come deep if he sees it as the best option but ideally spend as much time as possible in the final third where he really effects the game

Then the back 4 I’d say just sensible attacking play, when one fullback attack the other stays/sits with the CB’s giving us always 3 and tiote to defend.

But again in depends on the opposition, if we play a team with only 1 up front and 5 in midfield who sit deep you can afford to push both fullbacks on.

• 22 tequilamag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM

HD raylor was LB the seasom we finished 5th for the first 10 games when we kept all those clean sheets. No idea what he will be like when he comes back but to say he was a disaster is a very ignorant statement

• 23 lesh // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM

cjtoon…. Weren’t Chelsea said to be holding out for £30 or £40m?

• 24 jayphoto // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Think cabaye is exactly what Moyes needs at Man Utd! Scores goals from midfield, works hard, puts a tackle in, hes a complete midfielder! Think he’ll have a decent world cup!
    Moyes is playing fantasy football at the moment though! Has the money and club name to go out and buy 95% of players he likes! Reckon he’ll end up like me on football manager! With 10 #10′s and a system that doesn’t use one

• 25 sparky55 // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM

IMO opinion the full backs only leave holes when we play 4-4-2 and HBA exposed Debuchy too many times earlier on in the year because HBA’s defensive work is not what it should be.

Someone higher up in this string mentioned santon flies up the wing like he’s playing for barcelona leaving gaps behind but barcelona don’t play 4-4-2…they play 5 in the middle so if one full back flies up the wing then the remaining midfield 4 all move across to cover the supposed gap.

This however is beyond comprehension for Pardew and it frustrates the hell out of me he can’t find a way to accommodate one of the most talented players in the Premiership in our team.

Flying full backs can be accommodated in any team if the coach knows how to set up the team. We’re all moaning about santon and debuchy leaving holes behind them but it’s easily solved…just watch the teams with decent coaches and they all do the same thing with a five man midfield.

If the only cover for Debuchy in a 4-4-2 system is HBA then yes you’re asking for trouble, if the cover for Debuchy is HBA or a n other midfielder then I don’t see the problem.

Gouffy is better cover for Santon than HBA is for Debuchy in a 4-4-2 but why should we be reigning in the runs of Santon and Debuchy simply because Pardew chooses to play an outdated system.

This is all down to coaching…every successful team of the last decade plays the same system and it ain’t 4-4-2.

The only reason HBA is not in our team terrorising defences all over the country is because Pardew is a dinosaur.

Santon is a good player and we’ll miss him if he goes for sure. He’ll simply be replaced by another full back who won’t be allowed to attack just in case he leaves a hole.

PATHETIC

• 26 tequilamag // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Man C play 442 most of the time and Man U won the title last year playing 442

• 27 Diggedydaws // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Hey, it’s not often I post but mind after having read all the posts this past fortnigh ( every single one ).

I have to say Jesper Fergulang…you know nowt about football.

Can’t knock you as a fan but christ you really have not got a clue about how the ball is kicked pal.

• 28 Diggedydaws // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM

But really, if we get decent money for Santon I’d let him go, saying that he’s got a house not far from me in Morpeth and is living there with a lass from Pegswood so he may not even be inclined to go.

Hidara is the real deal I think.

• 29 JP...from The Rock // Jan 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Santon is only 23? I thought he was 26. That’s good news lol He still has time to adapt his game and learn that if you run forward then you have to run back to your position and defend! That is my main concern with Davide. That and the fact that he relies too heavily on his right foot to put crosses in always cutting back and losing our attacking momentum.

• 30 jimmysmith // Jan 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Dummett is a blunt instrument set against Santon, and Haidarra unproven.

Santon is quality, with so much room for improvement. He could win a hundred caps for Italy. Italy!

• 31 Charlietoon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Would not be the worst thing if he goes but I’d like to see us grab someone who has potential from the youth team and give him a shot as back up before we go and buy someone else.

previous post: This Is Why Cabella Will Not Arrive On Tyneside In January