The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Report That Yohan Cabaye Not Interested In Joining PSG

6:51 pm, Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 201 Comments

French football commentator Julien Laurens has said on talkSPORT that he believes Yohan Cabaye is reluctant to join PSG, whose manager Laurent Blanc has been talking about wanting him at PSG since last summer.

Yohan Cabaye Crystal Palace CWdqE4qrLIPl

Yohan Cabaye – doesn’t want to join PSG

This is what Julian Laurens has said on talkSPORT when asked what he knew of the current  situation with Yohan Cabaye:

“It’s good news for Newcastle fans.” “It seems that Yohan Cabaye is a bit reluctant to join Paris Saint-Germain.” “He’s thinking about the longer term.”

“He knows PSG will probably get Pogba in the summer, that’s their main objective.” “Cabaye thinks that  if he goes there, he’ll have to compete with Paul Pogba, Marco Verratti, Blaise Matuidi and Thiago Motta for a place in the midfield.”

“His chances to play will be reduced and he doesn’t want that.” “He’s happy at Newcastle.” “They’re doing well in the league this year and he’s reconsidering.”

Alan Pardew has told him if he goes to clubs bigger than Newcastle, like PSG or Manchester United as two examples, he will not get the freedom of play and be an automatic starting position that he gets at Newcastle.

It seems that some of that is starting to sink in with the Frenchman, although whether he would agree to stay at Newcastle long term – we don’t know.

However, we  hope that Newcastle – Joe Kinnear would be the man to do this – would offer Yohan a new extended deal – in an effort to get him to stay on Tyneside – that’s part of Joe’s job as Director of Football – to keep the very best players at the club..

If we could do that – Newcastle could even then stand a chance of signing Loic Remy permanently in the summer.

If we can keep both of these top players at Newcastle long term – we would have the possibility of having a very good side – with say three new players coming in over the summer, including Remy Cabella  from Montpellier.

What do you think?

Note: There is a special MJK Sports event coming up like we’d like to publicize. On May 9th there will be an evening with Kevin Keegan at the Lancastrian suite in Gateshead. You can get the details about the event and buy your tickers here.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

201 responses so far ↓

• 1 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM

If Mackems survive and we fail to qualify for Europe then they would have had a better season than us.

Regardless of CC cup result.

• 2 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Hope he is right

but how does he know? really privileged these people.

• 3 Mister Tuff // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM

ian Toon – I stand corrected. I followed the Animals- but after Alan Price left I did not follow his career thereafter.

• 4 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM

If only this would be true and we could build a team around Cabs and Mr T. Instead of all the uncertainty that surrounds us then build for the future………. I know it just sounds to simple doesnt it

• 5 Ancientcoptic // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Signing on the dotted line talks.

The club should offer him 100k per week to stay, if he refuses, what other choice do we have but to sell.

• 6 Ciaran // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Ian from previous thread

As Bills if oft fond of commenting on, there is an area of English law that prevents people from defaming or misrepresenting someone’s views in public that could potentially harm their credibility – it is called libel.

What you have written @100 is a libellous statement and I personally would like you to retract it.

I would, of course, like to point out that since the meeting in labour club in which it was stated that Time4Change were holding a march, which was largely backed by the Mike Ashley Out Campaign, MAOC actually saw their support surge from 600 followers to nearly 4000 – representing the anger that was felt by Mike Ashley’s mismanagement of the club.

NUST has seen a downturn in membership in this time, because perhaps they missed a trick in the summer by not openly embracing the aims and objectives of MAOC and T4C but if they can channel into what is now the overwhelming opinion of Newcastle United supporters – that Mike Ashley is not good for the club and the sooner he leaves the better – then NUST could well see an upturn in their own fortunes.

It would be a very logical extension that by tapping into this opinion, TF and The Mag are actually best representing what is the opinion of most NUFC supporters as you will be unable to produce subscription numbers for either publication, nor will you be able to find any quote directly attributable to Mark Jensen.

As MacToon himself stated, Mark Jensen did not intimate these feelings when I was speaking to him last night at NUST’s AGM last night, nor did Michael Martin. In fact, both men, and Norman Watson, seemed very encouraged by the progress that MAOC and T4C have made in recent months and wished us all the best in our endeavours.

If we were directly, and negatively impacting upon their commercial interests would this have been the case?

Also, I remembered how you were once a pompous flag bearer about being a NUST member yet you did not attend their AGM last night. Disappointing.

• 7 Alems1983 // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Sunderland will only qualify for Europe if they win the cup

• 8 Alems1983 // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Which they won’t

• 9 Himanshu Dhingra // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I Know

• 10 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Mr Tuff- That’s fine, my father went through a period of constantly playing it when I was growing up. I prefer the Rolling Stones cause I can’t get know satisfaction.

• 11 Thump // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Who cares what the unwashed do? Seriously, don’t focus on them until the 1st of February.

• 12 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I have to confess I didn’t realise Alan Price had formerly been a member of the Animals.

• 13 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

These various anti NUFC groupings that exist are meaningless and irrelevant.
    Going on blogs and flapping your lips as if you count for something is laughable.
    Put your hands in your pockets and turn up at SJP and you may just be acknowledged otherwise shut up.

None of the goons who promote these idiotic protest groups come any where near the definition of a supporter

• 14 wolfshead@toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM

i wonder if bumble would have laid out for free travel if we were playing manure last night

• 15 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Lol
    @shiteseats: Here it is folks in print. #KOTM details on how to get will be released very soon. http://t.co/JtJGN1tQGb

• 16 nightfa11 // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

• 17 yorkymag // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Hd
    I think Europe is a distinct possibility for us
    My understanding is
    It is as ever complicated but if city win the capital one that’s an extra place in the league ie 6th qualifies,runners up get nothing ,city or chelski of arsenal or Man U win champs league and are in top 4 5th will be champs league.if a team already in the European spots is in the final ie winner and runner up another league spot goes to Europa league ie 8th

So it is entirely possible that there will be 5 places to champs league and 3 to Europa

I think but happy to be corrected

• 18 Thump // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

@nightfa11: Oh bloody hell, that’s made my night.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Jeff from benwell,
    Loud mouths like you come and go, you turn up realise you can’t punch someones lights out and no one is going to turn up at that dingy pub of yours to fight you in the car park and then you fusk off back to your original blog of five different posters who all agree with you.Since when was Mike Ashley NUFC.

• 20 yorkymag // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Should have been fa cup winner and runner up in European spot

• 21 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Ciaran says
    “There is an area of English law that prevents people from defaming or misrepresenting someone’s views in public that could potentially harm their credibility – it is called libel.”

Haha
    only if it’s untrue you pilloch

• 22 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Ernest Hemingway- ( wish I had your name-LOL) from previous – I am running to catch up!

When I was first at Uni I wrote for WSC on a limited scale. But since I have often reviewed the potential for future editions of 4-4-2 and some fanzines that are looking to expand their horizons beyond their local fan catchment area.

I am less familiar with True Faith not having subscribed for a while. Talking to a few of The Mag sellers on Saturday they also reiterated Mark’s view of the need for more football and less politics.

It’s this time of the year that many folk start looking at their finances.

• 23 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Jeff- Please stop your not helping anyone least of all yourself.

• 24 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Ian Toon
    What’s the matter pet am I spoiling your online job application

The internet is full of wannabe journalists – learn bricklaying – more money and it might toughen you up

• 25 Tayls // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Totally agree with you Himanshu. Really does P me off at times the lack of intent we have at challenging for the cups, especially seeing the scum going to Wembley. :(

• 26 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I remember Catchy once challenging me to bare knuckle fight in the SJP car park. He took offence at me suggesting he only turned up on here after a defeat and that he was a flip flop fan . He subsequently told me to forget his outburst.

Just as well mind, because I didn’t fancy my chances, given that he described himself as being 6′ 3″ 86 Kg and that he worked out 5 times a week before work and was into road running!

• 27 offthelinebydabizas // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Hello lads dont know if any of you lot seen it but someone was asking for it yesterday i hope this link works https://m.facebook.com/AllNewcastleUnitedFCFans?refid=52&_ft_=qid.5972177659574632095%3Amf_story_key.2774482395504763046

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Yorky Mag,
    The winners of both cups should have a play off, then a play off with forth spot for a CL place, an extra couple of games but huge rewards and would certainly ignite interest in the cups, not fair on fourth place but are the play offs fair .!

• 29 Mister Tuff // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Ian Toon @23 -your best post of the evening

The Hoowlett Headbanger (I know it’s spelt Howlett)
    As we are playing the dictionary definition game here’s another from the Urban Dictionary;-

• 30 anthc // Jan 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Love for cabaye to stay but can’t see it as the club don’t match his ambitions which is fair enough. However, I don’t think he would get in to the premiers top sides city chelsea etc so for cl football he would have to play in another country imho.

• 31 yorkymag // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Jail
    It would certainly make the cups note resting
    Unfortunately the money is in the premier league
    Good idea but won’t happen

• 32 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Jeff- I also worked briefly on a building site when a student and always wondered why bags of cement kept landing near me! Your right though I should have stuck with it!

• 33 yorkymag // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Sorry more interesting

• 34 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Wembley the last few years =
    Birmingham
    Swansea
    Wigan
    Where are they now ?

• 35 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Mr Tuff – if that’s my best post I’ll quit while I am ahead.

• 36 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Ian
    re the bags of cement
    Perhaps you shouldn’t have picked a building site in Hylton Castle lol

• 37 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Jeff- LOL

• 38 AaranD // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

European places should be purely league in my opinion.
    It means the best English teams compete in Europe and keep our point coefficient up, meaning the PL keep the 4 Champs and 3 Europa spots.

• 39 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Anthc
    Look what’s happened to Mata under a new manager. If it can happen to Mata then it can happen to Cabs.
    I see Trazbanour nearly got Ba for £7 mill……….how the hell do we expect to get £10 mill for Cisse.Besiktas want Cisse on loan but we only want to sell for £10 mill. Does this sound familiar to the de Jong deal ??

• 40 offthelinebydabizas // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM

This should work better just an old geordie giving a mackem bouncer a good old ear bashing its hilarious worth a watch

• 41 Tayls // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Jeff mate, they were challenging whilst fighting relegation. We’re hardly going to get relegated and we dont want europa as we keep getting reminded and we’re not challenging for 4th. We may as well have challenged for a cup, what would we have really lost in challenging this season?

• 42 Mister Tuff // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Ian Toon – I think we need to reach out the helping hand of the blog to you. I am not really surprised that from your younger days ordinary folk were trying to splat you by throwing bags of cement at you and others were offering you out for a fight.
    Have you examined when all this adverse reaction started, is it as bad now, is it a consequence of what you say. I would be prepared to offer you some online therapy via the blog to help you out. At your service.

• 43 Jeff from Benwell // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I saw Shearer’s comment the other day about what harm would putting a full team out in the cups do.
    His argument has merit but what would we think if Cabaye got a 6 weeker.
    Remember bringing on Tiote a coupla seasons ago in a cup game we were chasing and him getting a daft red which knocked our momentum for six for 3 games

• 44 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Ernest Hemingway- A mate has just text me and said the offending
    True Faith article was in the 17th November edition “Thru Black and White Eyes- Following The Money. It was by Michael Martin and made more of finance or the lack of it etc than the recent magnificent victory at Spurs.

It’s what kicked off the debate as to whether they had the balance right between football and politics.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Has anyone seen Markaccus lately? If so could you tell him I have some important information concerning budgie flatulence for him.

• 46 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Also another important product from Manly Man Inc. PubeExtend. For that bushy look down below. Important cautionary note: please use only with our new brand of long baggy underwear.

• 47 Ian Toon // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Mr Tuff – I recognised at an early age that I was likely to be better at other things. I know my limitations. Best not to profess you know stuff if you don’t.

Well that’s my free time. Enjoy my absence..

• 48 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM

A manly man should never forget to take great pride in his own shrubbery. Harumph.

• 49 Tayls // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

That’s a fair point Jeff but it’s just been too many years :'(

Are we ever going to challenge for anything?

• 50 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Anyone justifying not going to Wembley because a few very poor teams have been relegated shortly after winning need to grow a pair and just admit they are envious .

With that mentality we will never win anything .

• 51 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Spot on Big Pappa. It would be nice to get an owner with plums while we’re at it. Maybe I’ll send him some PubeExtend.

• 52 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

In recent times it’s only pompey, wigan and birmingham that have gone down after winning a cup. It’s not a common thing and also not related.

They were teams that should have been going down anyway, or at least a good chance of going down.

The fact we are safe mid table means we should be the perfect placed team to challenge outright for the cups.

• 53 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

To hide his small plums that is.

• 54 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I’m not going to be too critical of Ashley just yet though, I have some info that cabella and de jong will sign this window, whether it’s proven right or wrong yet I obviously don’t know.

• 55 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM

And it’s not just his small plums. It’s a lack of overall manliness. Where is his chest hair? And not even a hint of manly stubble. No sign of manly products whatsoever. Very disappointing.

• 56 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Wrong

• 57 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM

About his chest hair or his small plums jazzyp mate?

• 58 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

i’d love us to go for

Antoine Griezmann

• 59 Mancgeordie // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Ts you heard anything on any players leaving?

• 60 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Geordietwo
    His plums,Gotta have massive cahoona’s to treat the Nufc fans the way he does

• 61 BandB // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Personally, I have been won over by the positive people and their winning personalities.
    I hope we never win another thing again as long as I live.
    Then I can have the in-expressable pleasure of popping up on here from time to time to say what a fantastic long-suffering fan I am.
    Aye, I remember the old days, when Seymour and his toughs used to walk along the Gallowgate, coshing honest lads, and emptying their pockets of food for their bairns arn mouths.
    Then doing a little wee-wee down their leg, and asking them to say thank you.
    Aye, I’ve suffered for loving this club. You young ‘uns don’t know you’re born.

• 62 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Hmmm, good point jazzyp. Still, I’ll send him the PubeExtend and a small collection of other products.

• 63 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

manc

Don’t get much on outgoings really, the stuff i get on incomings is just internal rumour, mixed with some info they get and we piece it together with gossip to try and find likely stories…..with outgoings we don’t hear much at all.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM

A very complex psychological post BandB mate. Humorous yet somehow bitter at the same time. Very interesting.

• 65 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Bandb
    Are you Ibiza in disguise . He likes to sit on the fence as well

• 66 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Important news! JFK is being sold to Scunthorpe for a small batch of rum balls and a freshly made bread pudding. I’m encouraged.

• 67 Mancgeordie // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Just being hearing 2 rumours of manure fans all day mainly off the season ticket holders and a few at the match last night, that cabaye is on his way to Old Trafford after Mata for something around the 25m mark was wondering if anybody else had heard anything

• 68 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

manc

not heard names but a lad at work said the talk he heard was if they land mata then they have 3 other targets who will be coming in as well.

• 69 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Ed why am I cut off again mate. I’m being good. No really. Read my last few posts. All completely above board.

• 70 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Manc
    If cabs wants CL football, He aint gonna get it at Manure next season

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM

In the 160/70 Cup finals in the history of the English game only three have won one and been relegated, to cite this as a reason to avoid winning is nothing short of ridiculous and one should consider taking ones head out of Ashleys arse if it’s causing you to think like that, as for a player getting booked or injured how is it more likely in the FA cup at home to Cardiff.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM

jazzy

with mata and either a fit rooney or rvp they will pick up points….be close for them to push 4th

• 73 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Sage
    TDS tried how many clubs have won cups then been relegated bs a while back
    In the last decade in both domestic cups, 20 cup winners, 3 relegated and those 3 were down easily

• 74 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

jail

suppose one with every extra game there is more chance of injury…but i guess i cuts out training where there is also a chance to get injured.

in reality there is no reason to not compete in cups

• 75 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I believe the Studly One aka Ibiza is still over in the US enjoying the sexual favours of many beautiful young American women jazzyp mate. He has no time for mere blogging right now.

• 76 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

TS
    I hope not mate. Im fed up of taking flak every season from all my Manure mates and its nice to give it out for a change

• 77 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

tads

Sorry I don’t follow your post? Are you agreeing with me?

Think i’m having a dumb moment haha

• 78 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM

jazzy

I hope the don’t either, just have a feeling mata will be a huge boost, especially wanting to prove his world cup credentials too.

• 79 GeordieTwo // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Spot on to everyone in favour of us competing hard in the cups. Enough of this let’s be happy with winning nothing mentality.

• 80 Mancgeordie // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Jazzy p think that depends on who they bring in this window

• 81 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Sage
    Aye soz mate, had to rush the post a bit the blogs being a nightmare tonight!
    Yeah just saying for me the fear of possibly getting relegated is an awful reason to justify not having a cup run!

• 82 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

tads

no worries, just wasn’t sure if my post had come across properly.

• 83 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Manc
    This year especially I have had many debates with my Manure mates. And at present I would not swap Nufc’s midfield for Manure’s.Nor would I swap Krull for De gea. And I wouldn’t swap Debuchy for Rafael either.
    Its just the investment issue again and shows how close our squad is to being a top 5 team

• 84 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

In fact on the contrary their cup run could have the opposite effect and save our lowly neighbours.

• 85 AaranD // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM

The league cup exit was unlucky to say the least. We had so many chances to finish City but it was just not happening for Cisse.
    The Cardiff game was just one of those games, the team put out was better than Cardiffs but that’s football!

Despite being shocking in the cups under Pardew, footballing wise we are a lot more competent. We can go toe to toe with the big boys and beat them.
    If this team stays together and with some extra added quality brought in, a good cup run can’t be far away!!

• 86 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

aaran

the man city league cup game was ok, i had no issue with that, we played a strong side and just lost.

against cardiff cabaye was injured and we rested remy….remy was the one who needed to play as he is ur goal scorer.

• 87 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Don’t normally get involved with the music craic but The Animals were one of my favourite groups, my Dad worked at the Rising Sun (pit) and I lived with a lass who Alan Price went out with.

Who cares?

Me :-)

• 88 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Man U still have a great team and if they get Mata and start playing Kagawa they have a great team:

———————–Carrick———————–

——Januzaj———-Mata——–Kagawa——

—————Rooney———RVP—————-

• 89 Mancgeordie // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM

No but I would love a Van Persie and Rooney strike partnership though. But we aren’t talking about swapping they reckon moyes has 150m and let’s be honest they need a cabaye whether they get champions league next year is there problem but the prospect with Mata, Rooney and Van persie is better than ours

• 90 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM

BPC,

What ManU had for years were players with skill who were also leaders and warriors on the pitch.

They still have skill but there wasn’t a leader or a warrior on the pitch against Sunderland.

And there wasn’t one in the dugout either. Moyes is no SAF.

• 91 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM

We will win nowt because we aspire to nowt except league survival. We buy when we are in trouble or buy cheap when we make a big sale. A club with no purpose and no soul. No crap from Sunderland about league survival so the Cup does not matter. They deserve success. We deserve sweet FA

• 92 jimmysmith // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Perhaps a natural progression under Ashley is to consolidate in the top ten, say sixth, seventh, eighth, and then focus on winning something, perhaps via the Cups.

I don’t see Ashley as not wanting success for Newcastle, just not wanting to spend his own money to get it. Nor do I see him necessarily taking the money he’s put in out at the expense of the club.

One real positive for Newcastle might be that if Ashley continues to gather wealth, Newcastle might grow along with it.

From what I’ve seen of Newcastle under this owner, that would seem to me the most plausibly optimistic view.

• 93 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Are we all closet Manure lovers on here or what lol.
    They can have who they want so long as its not our cabs

• 94 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Jazzyp,

Cabs can get in Manure’s team because they are crap.He will not get an Citees or Chelskis. Our best player but still not top drawer.

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Jimmysmith,
    Fair play to you mate, I can’t see any good in him at all apart from the few great bargains we’ve nabbed.

• 96 jazzyp // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM

TS
    any news on Alexandra lacazette coming in or just another rumour ??

• 97 Mancgeordie // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I wouldn’t want cabs to go but you have to be realistic if manure offer 20-30m in for him then I don’t reckon it would be turned down

• 98 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Jimmysmith,

Are you joking mate? The only thing mashers sees in us is a cash cow. have you any idea how much he is taking out of the club each year? He could buy Bishop Aukland every year. The guy is going nowhere because the club is a Euromillions win every season. Take the blinkers off man.

• 99 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM

well said jim

• 100 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I know Chelsea just bought Mohamed Salah, but what club is he going to be playing for the next couple of seasons? 😉 lol

• 101 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM

jimiley,

Have you any idea how much Ashley is taking out of the club?

Why not tell us.

• 102 jimmysmith // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Yeah well, I did say the most plausibly optimistic view, I can conjure up a few less optimistic ones along with it, and have done.

• 103 Thump // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:47 PM

@jimmysmith (91): A steady ship sells better than a sinking one.

It’s been rumoured for a while now that he planned on buying Newcastle and immediately selling it. It’s not that he doesn’t care about the club, it’s that he wants it to be as stable as possible so that if and when a buyer comes in, they’ll take a club that has a strong, stable finance structure.

Let’s just hope whoever buys the club has a bit of passion and pumps a few quid into the coffers…

• 104 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM

and you know he is not bills

• 105 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM

JT @ 103

?

• 106 Blofal // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I’m conflicted… Manchester City have bought my local Australian club Melbourne Heart ( Where Curtis Good was recruited from).

There is also talk they are going to change their name to Melbourne City :(

• 107 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM

taking monies out dont go there about accounting we all know of the black holes

• 108 sparky55 // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:55 PM

There’s many a premiership club haven’t won owt for 50 years so we’re not alone.

I wouldn’t want to win a cup and go down for sure, but I like most fans would just love a cup run that gets us past the 4th round of the FA cup or the 3rd round of the league cup.

Cup runs are priceless…I’d always be happy to get to the semis or final in a cup and lose at that point because I’d have had a great time in the meanwhile following the cup run…goes without saying really…cup runs and cup games stick in my mind more than league stuff…the cups are magic and the club should recognise that magic and put out teams that understand how important it is to the fans.

moan over

• 109 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Bills son of Ashley,
    No idea how many tens of millions he has screwed out of the club. I know how much money we get from SKY (£50 million) this season; I know how much he has spent this season on players. F..ck. all. Work it out sonny.

• 110 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Sparky 55
    LOSER.

• 111 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM

They’ll never be great with Carrick in the team. He’s useless.

• 112 sparky55 // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Hahahaha…I guess I’m not in the shankley mould like you then…it’s important but not a matter of life or death… I enjoy life and although results do alter my mood for quite a while at the weekend it doesn’t weigh that heavy.

I think it’s called balance…but then again that’s just my opinion

• 113 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM

@ Kets

They don’t have many decent CDM’s . He is a dam site better than that shower of shite Cleverly . They need a beast like Tiote but they can keep their hands off our Ivorian warrior .

• 114 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Carrick is useless. He is a Geordie so we will probably sign him for out bog standard transfer of 3 million. Unless we can get him on loan of course. Or French. We only sign loanees or French people.

• 115 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM

jimiley,

So if the club earns money but doesn’t spend it all you reckon that means Ashley has taken a wad out and pocketed it?

You need to learn how to read accounts – sonny.

• 116 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I prefer Cleverly but he’s more attacking. Anita is miles ahead of their midfielders.

• 117 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM

he wont spend nowt

• 118 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Sparky,
    The club has won nowt since the wheel was invented and you babble on about being happy getting past the 4th round. Some of us were around when they invented the wheel. You must be a nipper to talk such bollocks.

• 119 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM

he probably has a team of creative accountants you do not know

• 120 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM

remember the dude falling off his boat he was creaming millions

• 121 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM

not arguing about merely stating an opinion i dislike distrust and hate the man i will not change

• 122 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM

jimiley,

The wheel was invented before 1969.

You obviously didn’t stick in at school.

• 123 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM

no-one mentioned 69 what bout fa cups

• 124 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM

JT :)

• 125 potski // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Transfer Sage
    Why such a problem with Remy being left out of the FA Cup, but you were happy with the side that played against Man City in the League Cup?

This is the team that played in October:

01 Krul
    26 Debuchy
    19 Haidara (Dummett – 45′ )
    08 Anita
    06 Williamson
    13 Yanga-Mbiwa
    07 Sissoko
    24 Tioté
    09 Cissé
    23 Sh Ameobi (Ben Arfa – 67′ )
    11 Gouffran

Remy and Cabaye were both on the bench but didn’t play. It’s not that different from the team for Cardiff perhaps a slightly weaker backline:

21 Elliot
    03 Santon
    19 Haidara
    24 Tioté
    27 Taylor
    13 Yanga-Mbiwa
    07 Sissoko (Remy – 85′ )
    08 Anita
    09 Cissé (Sh Ameobi – 85′ )
    10 Ben Arfa
    11 Gouffran (Obertan – 63′ )

Cisse started upfront in both games. For the League Cup the comments on BBC website include:

“Cisse twice wasted good chances for Newcastle in the first half as he lobbed the ball wide after the industrious Ameobi flicked on Krul’s kick, and miscued a shot from close-range. It continues a poor run in front of goal for the Senegalese forward”

“Newcastle should have gone ahead in the first period of extra time, but again Cisse was wasteful.”

A couple of months later when we played Cardiff, he seemed to have gone even further downhill. But there are still some who criticise Pardew for NOT playing him in EPL games, and want to give him an extended run to get his confidence back is the suggestion. But not who we would leave out, and what effect it would have if he goes the 16 games from now to the end of the season with only one more goal, which is what you would expect from his record over the last year.

If Pardew had to play Cisse, and give him one last opportunity to redeem himself and prove he could be a successful no. 9 at this club, then surely the Cardiff game was the one to do it? Despite his goal, he didn’t really show anything that would give you any confidence that he could play at the highest level, nor was Ben Arfa outstanding. Nothing of the players we witnessed two years ago, who provided some of the most memorable highlights in my years of following the Toon.

It’s disappointing that they have gone backwards, when the rest of the squad seems to have moved forwards this season. But confidence can be everything in sport, and for whatever reason both have entirely lost their confidence, probably once they were not the “main men” and the team proved they could play successfully without both of them.

It’s got to the point where I would have no problem with them leaving. But I can’t blame Pardew for giving them a chance against Cardiff – that team should still have won.

• 126 TurkishFan101 // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Hey lads!

So it seems Salah has chosen to sit on Mourinho’s side line or bench. It is been reportedly said that Chelsea are done for the January transfer window. So, Kurt Zouma still could come to us and the fee is around £11m is what St Etienne want. We have been constantly linked with him, he is still on the radar and list for the CB’s target we have. He would choose us to get first team regular football as Coloccini, Steven Taylor don’ look like they have a future here as Coloccini is going and we need a replacement for him sooner rather then later.

Cabella has sacked one of his agents, and has got a new one, as you may know his dad is also his agent! This could be to speed up the transfer to us!. Still working on Luuk De Jong deal, we are looking to purchase him instead of bringing him on loan with a buy out clause at the end of the season apparently, but could go either way… If we manage to announce signings of
    Cabella
    Luuk De Jong
    Zouma

Would fans be happy?

I would still think, we need that one good winger . I really would like us to go for Antoine Griezmann. What a fantastic buy that would be.

• 127 stan anderson // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM

C

• 128 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM

any buy, the only buy to appease is a goodbye

• 129 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM

just finished reading a days blog postings – no comp access. as someone who finds t4c, jk is an arse ,ma out .german club ownership, club finances etc exstremely boring does anyone else find our final 16 matches very interesting. we have taken exactly the same amount of points at home and away.we play 4 teams in the top half and four in the bottom half both home and away. i believe it all hinges on the team taking their chances in the next two matches then anything is possible. if we win at norwich we must close on at least everton or lpool. hope the club and team are more positive than some of the posters on here.

• 130 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM

your saying we are average

• 131 jimmysmith // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Can’t see him selling, unless we kicked off like last time and even that didn’t do the trick, and hardly likely to happen when we’re top half. It’d take a big offer, I think.

Aren’t we now firmly entrenched in helping keep him and Sports Direct in the limelight, and wasn’t that his primary interest in buying NUFC. What value is that to Mike Ashley’s greater goals.

Ashley would surely only want to sell if it was to lead to even greater exposure or for a really big wad. Not holding my breath.

• 132 Rake // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I don’t know if anyone has thought of this but here goes nothing. I think the reason Pardew speaks about our top player’s being vulnerable too bids is the Andy Carrol situation. Pardew was defiant in saying he would not be sold and the offer came in and off he went. Making Pardew look a fool. I think Pardew is trying to be honest with the fans and not touting our best players as some think.

• 133 stan anderson // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Cabaye will be gone as soon as some club offers enough.
    As will anyone else when the offer is enough for the cockney maffia.
    He is only interested in making money from our club.
    The sooner the better you positive minded bloggers realise this the better,instead of deluding yourselves .
    He has know interest in the club winning anything at all.
    Just using us as a cash machine to get his money back.

• 134 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:30 PM

what do you mean trying to

• 135 sparky55 // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM

52 years last time I checked and been on several fantastic cup runs and some fantastic road trip memories tucked away in my locker…and guess what…not bitter…just great memories and wonderful times to look back on.

I’m a glass half empty bloke…expect nowt and never disappointed…so when we win I’m deliriously happy…when we lose there’s always next week.

• 136 Sazzer // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM

90thMin ?@90thMin
    I’m told Manchester Utd are holding Juan Mata’s press conference back till Monday or Tuesday. Club hoping to present two players on the day.

Tweet after that:
    Yohan Cabaye, good luck with your new football adventure. will do great things for his new team. Noting more to add.

• 137 bollance // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Stan

Winning football matches equals more cash for MA does it not?

• 138 bollance // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Stan

Winning football matches equals more cash for MA, does it not?

• 139 Mister Tuff // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Anybody who knows anything about accounting -should know that the average accountant checking the yearly accounts rarely stumbles upon fraud. They are not in the first instance looking for fraud -their aim is to check the maths of the accounts of the company concerned from what IS provided to them.

• 140 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM

speculate to accumulate in ashleys case rake as much and more that i was ripped of the silly beggars know nowt

• 141 Sazzer // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Not quite sure it is connected, but wierd tweet about Cabaye though.

• 142 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Ashley doesn’t care about winning matches?

Strange, he said he’d share £1M between the backroom and club staff if we beat Arsenal in the final game of last season.

• 143 stan anderson // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Winning trophies is not on his agenda,just guaranteed Premier league survival

• 144 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Bills Son of Ashley,
    I was watching this club before you were born sonny, so do not mention 1969. Are you acquainted with Keith Kettleborough, Albert Bennett,Animal Mcnamee, Mcgrath and many more. I was watching what you read about sonny.

• 145 John Tudor // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:45 PM

what about the mms he promised

• 146 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Anybody who knows anything about english should understand that jimiley stated Ashley is taking millions out of the club.

Perhaps jimiley is an accountant who looks for fraud?

• 147 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I wish people wouldn’t bring up the old “I’m a better supporter because I have followed them longer” .

Short of building a time machine, how are people my age (22) supposed to experience what following NUFC was like 30 plus years ago .

• 148 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

jimiley,

Aquainted with every single one of them.

In fact I had an evening on the drink with Ron McGarry – remember him sonny – and I told him how I got one of his goals will travel cards after he scored.

Remember Dave Hollins, Alf McMichael, Dick Keith and Barry Thomas?

I bet I was watching before you bonny lad.

• 149 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM

BPC,

I’m not claiming to be a better supporter because I’ve been going to SJP for 52 years.

Wiser perhaps, but definitely not better.

• 150 sparky55 // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM

hahahaha…condescending or what!?

that was the funniest post I’ve seen for ages.

• 151 SuperShearer // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Irrelevant of your age Bills-Son and Jimiley are sure enjoying swinging those handbags at each other. “I’m older than you!” “No, I’m older than you!”……no figure out which of your dads’ is tougher.

• 152 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM

jimiley,

Name the three players we signed for £20K each when we sold Alan Suddick for £60K to Blackpool.

• 153 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

SuperShearer,

jimiley is one of the biggest whinging p1sstaking handbag swingers on this blog.

Just giving him a few swings of fully laden shopping bag back :-)

• 154 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM

@ bills

Got nothing against you m8 . I admire anyone who has supported NUFC for decades and kept their sanity :) .

I for one wish I was born a few years earlier as I was to young to fully remember the Keegan Era, although I did enjoy SBR’s time in charge . Ever since then it has been dross other than a few Euro competitions and a 5th place finish .

I just hope when and if I make it to your age we have finally won something 😉 .

• 155 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Bills Son of Ashley,

You have been going for one more year than me. Fair play. Not getting involved in stupid quizzes to prove you know something. about the club. Childish. I was commuting from London for many years but stopped two tears ago when I realized what the bandit was all about. It is not fraud to keep all the money because he owns the club. I never said he was stealing the money. I said he was keeping all the profits he can. he will only invest to stay up. Lets leave it there.

• 156 Toon-Prodigy // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:18 PM

My main beefs with Ashley is his lack of ambition in spending (our) money.

The clubs money, not his own. His reluctance in building a thorough quality squad and taking the steps to progess each transfer window like we should be as a football club.

The lacklustre effort in scouting players only with loopholes, unhappy players or loan deals. Offering ridiculous transfer fee’s which are never going to come off.

And also, his appointment of Joe Kinnear. This was my finish with him which broke the camels back. This proved to me without a doubt that this man is cluless in running a football club.

6 years of painful decisions so far. No success for the club in trophies, but he as a great level of success through using us as a giant advertising board throughout the world.

I look forward to the day he leaves and we operate as a good all round football club on every level with a decent level of ambition, a club which is actively looking to progress season after season. Not just a club which boasts a financial structure where we never see any of the money.

I will have my day, and the passion and ambition will return to this football club.

A football club sitting at this point where only 3-4 upgrades could see us push on is nothing short of scandalous. They don’t need to be 20 million pound players.

Waiting for sales of players before buying cheaper back-ups is no way to run a football club.

My own personal opinion.

• 157 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM

BPC,

I haven’t kept my sanity :-)

I doubt any other club has wrung so much emotion out of its fans as NUFC.

• 158 RonVanDam // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Man city just bought a 80% stake in Melbourne Heart and 20% In Melbourne storm (Rugby League)

“MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) England Premier League club Manchester City has taken control of struggling A-League club the Melbourne Heart, purchasing its license in partnership with Australian National Rugby League side Melbourne Storm.

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop said Manchester City will take an 80 percent stake in the Heart, and the Storm’s ownership group will take the remainder.”

• 159 Taking the Papiss // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Ciaran @ 6, please explain to me how that is libellous? I would truly love to hear it?

Under the new defamation act, it has to cause “serious harm”, not only does it not cause serious harm but it does not cause any harm. Equally in terms of the organisation, it would have to cause serious financial harm. Would love to hear you justify that. And if, somehow, you can (which you can’t) then the only person that would have any right whatsoever to demand a retraction/apology would be Mark Jensen NOT YOU.

Instead, you will, no doubt, just continue to inaccurately demean others.

Ian Toon – as you were…

• 160 bills-son // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Jimiley,

Apologies, I wasn’t trying to be clever with the quiz, just banter.

You are obviously a diehard fan who is p1ssed off with Ashley and I understand that, I just think he isn’t 100% bad for the club.

And, I like your sarcastic humour jim :-)

• 161 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Ashley’s philosophy of balancing the books, buying smart and keeping the wage bill down is very smart . All that needs to be added to that is £10-15 million every transfer window to make sure we don’t stand still and actually show some ambition .

Oh and not to do things like change the stadium name or employ Joe Kinnear 😉 .

• 162 jimiley // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Bills,
    we both love the club but differ big time on Ashley. We will never reconcile that difference until Ashley goes and we see where the club stands. And what profit Ashley has made. I will not go back until he has gone. All the best.

• 163 Mister Tuff // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Wow -been away for an hour only to return and witness handbag and fully laden shopping bag wars.
    Wow -some dangerous dudes on here tonight -I’ll have to be careful -the thought of getting bashed on the knapper with a shopping bag stuffed full of six packs, White Lightening cider and Babychams is too dreadful to even consider.

• 164 Toon-Prodigy // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Big Papa,

Smart for him. He likes a kitty, a fund where he knows he has the money so that he will never dip into his own bank account himself again. Bless him, it must be hard being a billionaire. What he has wasted on gambling could of seen us push on for a trophy in the past six years.

It would be smart for us if we actually seen an actual plan, some ambition or some consideration with decision making when operating us as a football club.

It is afterall the fans who make this football club.

He treats us with contempt and shows no empathy, hell, he dosn’t even speak haha.

• 165 stan anderson // Jan 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Bills.son who are they then?
    I remember Jimmy Kerray..Bobby Day.Colin Taylor,Barry Thomas,Jimmy Fell,Keith Dyson springs to mind for some reason.was he a makeway in the Suddick deal.
    Suddick was a character.I remember the night he went behind the defence wall for a freekick and pulled a players shorts down.Would he get a straight red for that now

• 166 Mister Tuff // Jan 24, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Revealing article on the Mag site – a partner in Deloittes is now saying the most important source of revenue for big clubs is the commercial side -including corporate and shirt sales. Link :-

I don’t know if anybody saw Sky News the other day – day when Zoopla announced they were pulling out of their sponsorship deal with the Baggies. The reporter mentioned the worldwide reach of advertising via the Premiership being shown on the telly. I’m sure Mr Tubbs is well aware of this. The earning potential of the club from advertising must be a lot – must be worth doing as all other clubs do it.

• 167 rowly // Jan 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I don’t understand all the negativity around Ashley and pards. We have a better squad than we had before both of them, we are breaking even as opposed to being £250 million in debt and we were in Europe last season. Also we have the second longest serving manager in the pl. The club is well run and we now have consistency which is something that I have been wishing for a long time. Long may it continue.

• 168 MacToon // Jan 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Mister Tuff, you beat me to the Mark Jensen piece on the state of commercial revenue, strange after Ian Toon’s claim that he (Jensen) has stated he needs to concentrate on football rather than finances.
    Seems all you need to do is talk to “a few of The Mag sellers on Saturday they also reiterated Mark’s view of the need for more football and less politics”, this then qualifies you to speak for Mark Jensen apparently!

As for the article itself and the state of the clubs finances, I thought it was made clear at the latest FansForum meeting that we have now cut overheads (with the help of SD) which has maximised profits……..and I bet they kept a straight face when saying it too 😆

• 169 Mister Tuff // Jan 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Mactoon – yes I saw what Ian Toon had posted.
    I think that even some of the Ashley diehards must have some scepticism about the advertising response -ie showcasing the advertising opportunities for others. We will probably never know the true value of the advertising spaces at SJP. I’m sure that it would create a more accurate picture of what the earning potential of the Toon really was.Perhaps even more important in respect of FFP.- if that even gets up and running properly. I note that the Belgian lawyer who was behind the Bosman ruling has another case on the go -basically that the FFP rules are against EU competition rules.

• 170 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM

G.Day TUFF lad

• 171 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM

JIM ILEY/BILLSON

From my recollection, the sale of Suddick to Blackpool allowed us to purchase John McNamee from Hibs, Tommy Robson from Chelsea and Dave Elliott from Sunderland.

• 172 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM

For all those old farts around, what about Tommy Knox, Eric Ross, Arthur Horsfield, Trevor Hockey, John Craggs, George Dalton, Colin Clish, Geoff Allen

• 173 MacToon // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I actually agree with the sentiment, more footy less politics but it’s been this regime that’s thrown the finance card at us window after window. I wish I could go back to the football fan of old, pre-internet, jumpers for goal posts banter down the pub before and after the game.
    Seems like a different world nowadays, some good, some bad.

FFP, I never thought it’d work tbh. Some clubs are “too rich” imho to punish. Next season or two will be interesting.

• 174 ramajama // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Just read that Rennes and Sochaux are keen to take Marveaux on loan. I rate Marveaux so highly, wish he’d get more game time with us. Hate to see him go.

Apparently Evian are sniffing around Obertan, cant say id miss him too much.

• 175 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:16 AM

that TUFF lad must have gone to bed

• 176 Mister Tuff // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM

expat – morning still knocking about but not for long it’s 1.22am. Seasons greetings to the family. Hows it going -you’ve not been on the blog much lately.
    I thought I saw you on the telly last week -that wasn’t you doing the shark dive in the budgie cage – was it.

• 177 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Glad to see you are well, TUFF

Its the summer hols here and the wife and bairn have had me run off my feet so I haven’t been on much.

How is the family?

• 178 Mister Tuff // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM

expat -everybodys fine. miserable weather here -raining -no snow yet though.

• 179 jimmysmith // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Alf MacMichael, ha! Wonderful. A fullback in the fifties during the great Cup runs. Used to have so much trouble kicking those heavy old footballs that he’d more often than not fall over doing it and then have to pick himself up to trot back into position. Funny!

• 180 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:45 AM

send some of that snow over here. We have had horrendous hot weather here, 5 days in a row over 40 degrees plus and bushfires country wide. A bushfire only 2 kilometres from is burnt down a heritage homestead. Such a pity.

We have cooler weather at present but it will start to heat up again from Monday.

Are you still living at that cottage named after the flower? I sent you a xmas card by the way..

Got a card from P and he says he will email me soon.

• 181 expatmag // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:47 AM

JIMMY

Still remember your namesake warming up to replace Terry Hibbitt in the FACup QF at WBA in 1974 by leaning on the dugout and then going out and mercuilessly killing the opposition.

• 182 Mister Tuff // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Expat -yes got the card – I’ll send you an email in a couple of days. I’m off now.

• 183 theartfuldodger // Jan 24, 2014 at 4:16 AM

The future of manu is very uncertain. I dont think cabaye should go there just as yet. He is 28 and manu may not be challenging for titles in the next 2 years. Even if they buy Mata and Cabaye, they need defensive reinforcements and perhaps a rooney replacement. Its not the best place to go. If newcastle regularly finish 7/8 manu will be 5th or 6th. Hardly an improvement.
    Of course if he has been told differently by Moyes about big spending plans then that could decide it for him.

• 184 Ian Toon // Jan 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM

mac/Rob- Don’t be silly. As well as the editor’s comments The Mag have also been answering readers a common criticism that readers want more football related stories and not less by saying that’s the future.

I am surprised you haven’t gone for the economic reason of personal finances under pressure. You need to persuade and not bully.

• 185 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM

ian

I haven’t spoken to a single person, away from this blog, who doesn’t like the mag and what they do. Most seen to enjoy the balance between football and the political side of the club.

From the people I know they like them to tackle the political side more, as can get match reports from bbc, sky, anywhere really but not as many of those places do as much on the workings of the club.

I do see your’s, and your friends/fellow fans point though that sometimes we can get too detached from the football and focus on other things.

(Also just because I haven’t met any who don’t like the mag doesn’t mean I’m trying to say you are making things up, just to clarify that).

• 186 catchy in norway // Jan 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM

ian

your still one of those id like to smack 😉

and it don’t have to be in SJ car park

your a fan who bases your facts on hearsay from friends at the pub,

• 187 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM

catchy

is it better that i base my knowledge on hearsay i get from the tramp outside greggs? he has contacts haha

• 188 Santon03 // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Each club has different priority depending on their squad depth and quality.
    Like City, they have priority to win all competition and they invest big.
    Teams like sunderland, portsmouth, birmingham or wigan, they know that top 10 will be very difficult and they choose cup to be their priority to achieve something and we all know where they are in the league. Cup games are easier but also more risk in the league form.
    I don’t really bother about cup exit, which mean we are more focusing in the league. With our current squad competing in more than one competition will do more harm than good. I think it’s the right decision or the right outcome that we nolonger in the cups. Building the team to be able to compete in more than one or two competitions will require big investment, we are not at that level yet. choose one competition and doing well in it is the first step, premier league is the correct option other than bring more money, we will be able to recruit easily if we are in respectable league position rather than winning a cup and get relegated. I believe we will finish in top 6 this season and the club has learned from last season, and they will invest for next season. Last season was the 1st time for the new management to be involved in Europe and they aren’t that stupid to repeat the same mistake twice.

• 189 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM

santon

cup runs don’t have a bad effect on league form…it’s an excuse manager use way too often (possibly europe but not doemstic cups).

• 190 lesh // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Hey ho, I’m up and running after a night of totally irrelevant and unstoppable warnings saying there’s an Android virus installed itself on my Nokia (Windows driven) phone – only when trying to access this site. Impossible, say Nokia for a virus to install itself on a Lumia.

Anyone else had the problem or have I really got a bug in my phone?

And more importantly, has our super hero DoF brought any signings in yet?

Or is he still festering in his stinking pit!!

• 191 Rotonda heights // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM

How good would Zouma, Salah, Cabella and De Jong have been. Oh well…

• 192 Jail for Ashley // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Just reading bills post about the kindly Mr Ashley offering the backroom staff 1M if we beat Arsenal, a team needing to win to qualify for CL against a team who’d lost their last two home games 3 and 6 -0 with absolutely nothing to play for, shame that with a million pounds to spare he couldnt have gone the extra to get Debuchy in the summer or even offered the sum against a team we hsd a chance of winning against like Benfica or the mackems.

• 193 Rotonda heights // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Rowly

12, 5, 16, 8

Consistency?? The very last word to describe us!!

• 194 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM

rotonda

would have been good getting those 4 but the first two are always going to have bigger and better offers than what we’ll give them, both linked to chelsea.

• 195 bills-son // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Jail,

You could turn sour milk back to cream the way you twist everything back against Ashley.

• 196 lesh // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Aye expatmag, super stars of players they were.

Ed (and me for that matter) went to the same secondary school as Geoff Allen and Jimmy Husband (went to Everton), Dennis Tuert (sold his soul to the devil at Roker Park) and Keith Dyson. They were all in the sane year at school too.

• 197 Santon03 // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

TS

Winning a cup will give you europa and a trophy, but finish 5th or 6th can also give europa and more money minus a trophy. these days domestic cup tophies means nothing, top clubs set their target on top 4 (CL spot) rather than domestic cups.
    Cup games do have effect but not as much as europe but still means extra games in a week. Especially when you are playing against big teams next in the league.

• 198 Santon03 // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:33 AM

TS

Based on your mate info and what I read in the news, seems like best chance players coming in January will be DeJong and Cabella.
    I don’t know for sure about swap deal + 8mil for DeJong is true or not.

• 199 lesh // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM

@198………. They were all in the sane year at school too.

But I wasn’t (in the sane……..)

• 200 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM

santon

small effect but very rare do teams win a cup and got down, only happened 3 times and they were all teams who should be going down anyway….we shouldn’t be going down and well ahead of 9th place so worth the risk.

Sunderland have become 9th in the form guide since poyet came in, made a cup final and are a win against kidderminster from a quarter final…so it’s more than possible.

cup runs may tire players or get them injured but equally can boost morale and form, depends what attitude you approach them with.

• 201 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I’d take a trophy over top 6 or even top 4 any day.

A trophy lives in the memory forever. But it doesn’t have to be one or the other, can be both.

previous post: Newcastle Could Miss Out On Striker Target