There’s a lot of negative press and comments around Newcastle at the moment about our failure to have any success in the transfer market – but even if we cannot bring a player in permanently this month, there are things Newcastle can do in the summer that could build on what we have, and have an even better squad come September.
Joe Kinnear – what’s our strategy in the transfer market?
Other than to say we have limited money to spend and the deals must be right
But a lot of it is to keep the top players we already have, which we admit may not be easy – given all the talk form both Joe Kinnear and Alan pardew that we cannot compete with top clubs – but at least Newcastle should make the effort.
If you keep saying things like we cannot compete – you get to be right about it – and people believe you – like our top players for instance. 🙁
Here are some of the things we’d like to see the club do – and it’s in the spirit of doing something positive:
- Get a deal agreed in January with Montpellier for Remy Cabella to sign him in the summer, and according to the French press the lad is very keen to join Newcastle, whatever his bosses at Montpellier have to say about Newcastle.
- Sign Yohan Cabaye to a long term contract, and tell him Newcastle will build their team around him.
- Sign Loic Remy to a long term deal in the summer, after first signing Yohan Cabaye, which should make the task a little easier – Loic can be great for Newcastle in the future – but he needs to know the club is going somewhere.
- Go after Demba Ba, who seems to be available from Chelsea (or another top striker), and if we cannot get him in January – go after him in the summer, since it seems likely that both Shola Ameobi and Papiss Cisse could be leaving the club in the summer.
We are not sure Luuk de Jong is the man – but we can get him on loan hopefully this month – and see how things pan out through the end of the season.
- If Fab Coloccini is to leave and return to Argentina this summer , we would need to bring in a top center-back into the club – although at the moment Fab’s future at Newcastle is still uncertain – and maybe he could stay at the club.
- Unload fringe players like Dan Gosling (his contract ends in June), Gabby Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux and Jonas Gutierrez and decide on the future of youngsters like James Tavernier, Conor Newton and Haris Vuckic.
If we can keep Cabaye and Remy in the summer, we can then bring in a top striker (it could be Luuk de Jong if he does well on loan) and then a couple more good players in – while keeping the players we want to keep – and we should have a much better squad for next season.
If we can keep the excellent players we have – like Cabaye and Remy – Newcastle are not too far away from having a very good side – but we need to persuade both Cabaye and Remy that Newcastle are going places.
But that’s what could prove to be difficult – and that seems to be Newcastle’s Achilles heel – we are just not ambitious enough to be able to keep top players.
There I’ve said it again. 😀
Note: There is a special MJK Sports event coming up like we’d like to publicize. On May 9th there will be an evening with Kevin Keegan at the Lancastrian suite in Gateshead. You can get the details about the event and buy your tickers here.
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+