French Reports – Newcastle Negotiating Cabaye Fee With PSG

There was news this afternoon when the English press came out and said that Newcastle has turned down a £14M bid from PSG for midfielder Yohan Cabaye, the second time in six months that Newcastle have turned down an offer for their top Frenchman.

yohan cabaye wonga

Yohan Cabaye – PSG negotiating fee with Newcastle

But RMC Sport in France are reporting something different to that, and they understand that Newcastle and PSG have only entered into negotiations for Cabaye, and no bid has been lodged – yet.

And as we had expected PSG have made Yohan their number one target for this January transfer window, and we’ll just have to see if they come up with an offer that satisfies Newcastle’s owner Mike Ashley.

But with only five days left in the window if Cabaye is to be sold, we’ll need to get in a suitable replacement.

According to the French radio channel, PSG have communicated with Newcastle saying they have a genuine interest in signing Cabaye this month, and they report that Newcastle want €20M for Cabaye – which is around £16.5M, so we hope it’s a lot more than that.

They are also reporting that figure would not put the Paris club off from attempting to sign the 28 year-old French International this week.

There should be new news tomorrow on this, and according to the English press, Manchester United are now seriously considering bidding for the Frenchman.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• John Tudor

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM

+1/4 toffee bon bons i right

• Tsunki

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Disagree with what Belfast?Just everything in general? Oh, right.

• Graeme

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:29 PM

£16.5 million – your having a laugh.
    It will need to be nearer double that me thinks before FCB signs off.

• Belfast

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Just in general skunki.

Me being the blog king, and you being the blog underclass. It’s only right that I should put you in your place at least once a day.

• 9

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:34 PM

PSG (i.e. the estimable Raymond Blanc) want him: I can’t think of a footballer who’s personality I rate higher than M. Blanc’s. Maybe, but this is my guesswork, that makes him a sound judge of footballers. I know for a fact Cabaye is our heartbeat and irreplaceable from our existing players. Amount of money (for Cabaye will certainly have left us before the start of next season) is, surely, further guesswork for mortals such as I? £15m?> £20m? £300m? It’s such a fantastic market, and PSG certainly have the requisite wonga. Bye-bye-Cabaye.

• Tsunki

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:38 PM

repost:-

9 – The answer is in reality £1m. The rest of the cash you may or may not actually spend. The player could go in a year or two and not only will you have only spent £1m or £2m in wages, but when he is transferred out, you will have recouped that, your original investment of £1m and further unknown £m’s in appreciated value. As we will probably be looking at soon with Mr Cabaye.

In the meantime, the wages you have paid should be offset by incrased revenue from performance, winning matches, higher league position payments, increased TV exposure, more popularity in attendance…

I’m not trying to be cheeky, I just think that the transfer fee (and especially agents fees) are the only ‘invested’ commitment. Unless you get a real crock and you hang on to him for far too long……….. 🙂

• Tsunki

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:41 PM

….but of course finance on such a scale and with so many diverse factors involved can be a minefield of semantics, so I suppose I can conced that its all just a matter of perspective 🙂

Here, Belfast – since when did we swap places then? 😉

• Toon1978

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Five days left in the window and we are discussing selling our best player. At this stage of the window we should be discussing players coming in. We have had no permanent signings for a year. This is a complete travesty. JFK seems to be pretty good in selling our players but not to good at bringing them in. The club is rotten right through with the current board. I don’t give a monkeys what the pro Ashley’s think. We have lost more games without Cabaye then what we have with him in the team. We certainly wouldn’t be sitting 8th without him. Absolute disgrace. Greedy owner who can’t take criticism so he employs JFK to take all the crap. What a coward Mr Ashley is to keep on sending his cronies out to speak to the supporters at meetings rather than be a man and face them himself. Wouldn’t like to be alongside Ashley on the front line if ww3 kicked off. I sit in wait for the day he sells up and moves on…. .I guess I will have a long wait ahead. Sorry for the rant.

• Tsunki

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM

…but when all is said and done, I agree that when the Euro signs start flashing before Yohans eyes, he’ll be packing his bags. Still think its not his best move timing wise though. But hey, I’m not the one being slapped around the face with a huge wad of cash.

• maximan23

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM

aint it sad when you sit in front of your pc for hours on end just waiting for snippets of news to filter through on the blog agg living in hope of the breaking transfer story for the toon.
    and when another day passes with SWEET F.A you realize how sad it is today being a life long toon fan.as for the fat controler he knows all about business and absolutely nowt about how it feels to be a true fan of our great club…..and yes i’m still here in front of the pc.
    lord give me strenth

• Belfast

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Tell them our price, and give them a deadline to meet our price. If they don’t meet the price by the deadline, then he stays.

Very unlikely to happen though.
    We’ll probably have him up for sale in the final few hours.

• 9

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Tsunki @6
    I’m very attracted by your last comments. You seem to assume they couldn’t possibly apply, in everything you say earlier. You ASSUME the mythical NUFC could sell Mr Foreigner on at a profit without paying him his £1m every year. Don’t you think this is SPECULATION and no part of an accountant’s job?You sign up for £1m a year, you’re legally committed to £1m a year. Things could, clearly change, but you, amazingly assume they could only change for the better. Is this, truly, wise? Could they not, equally likely, change for the worse? What sort of accountant runs the books on the principle “We’re only paying £1m a year, but we’ll undoubtedly get rid of him at a profit, so we aren’t really committed to £1m a year”?

My goodness, I’m pleased I haven’t entrusted my accounts to such a fellow.

• Tsunki

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

think they are fuelling up the helicopter and keeping the last few hours free for a trip to Paris.

• Belfast

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I removed you when you wernt hear Skunki. It was all hush hush and it can’t be changed. So you’re stuck in the underclass cabin with the rest of the underclass. Catchy, Ketsbia, and your good self.

Enjoy ! 😉

• i

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I think NUFC have managed to annoy the entire French football league. I think the Montpelier chairman is just articulating the frustrations of all the chairmen.
    I think PSGs comments of late and the subsequent very low offer for Cabaye and then leaking it to the French press is an attempt to unsettle NUFC s best player and hit back.
    I don’t think Cabaye will be sold and I very much doubt if PSG really expect to get him either.

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM

i@15 Interesting comments. Don’t you think Monpelier chairman is articulating his frustration at not getting his own way with Mr Ashley? This may. or may not, reflect credit on Mr Ashley but, knowing nothing as I do, my guess is the Montpelier chairman is an egoist who doesn’t like not getting his own way in negotiations. Just my guess, of course.

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM

i@15: further to your reference to the “very low offer” to Cabaye _ on what do you base this opinion? What other offers, not “very low” are you aware of? What makes you think your valuation has more credibility than people who actually have £Xmillions available to spend? I, personally, think Cabaye is great, I love him, I know he makes my team tick, him, and no-one else : can you kindly explain how that translates to his actual transfer value in the real world?

• manxpie

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM

9 i think this puts the offers we have had in perspective

cabeye before we bought him would have easily been sold for 10 mill if he didn’t have that clause thats in L1!

so now he’s proved himself in the prem as a top player in a top league he’s certainly worth a hell of alot more than 10 -14 mil
    arsenal were takin the piss and so are psg simple as that!

• Our Toon

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I think the Montpellier chairman had the right idea about us as a club, for the best players of the club MYM and now Cabella (if that ever happens) why would they leave Montpellier to join us £s is the only reason!! We last won something over 40 years ago….Montpellier won the league a couple of years ago!! We think we are a big club but unfortunately we aren’t with this regime, can ppl stop blaming JFK as well he isn’t the problem it’s MA

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Reality check;
    1 Cabaye is international class.
    2 Cabaye will never wear black and white stripes after June 2014
    3 This is the reality of any club in the world not bankrolled by unrealistic (in football terms) multi-millionaires.
    4 Who in their right mind can bame either 1) Cabaye for advancing his wages/career; 2) NUFC’s owner for cashing in (what’s the alternative? – offfer him wages we can’t afford??)

• Our Toon

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Manxpie

Arsenal and PSG are taking the p!ss but it makes you wonder doesn’t it, I think these clubs know we are desperate to sell, I personally think we are touting Cabaye hence the shocking offers!!

The way it translates to me mate is that some players are indispensable….not for sale!! I firmly believe we should be looking to bring players in to match the ambition of the likes of Cabaye otherwise we go round in circles every 2 or 3 years

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

manxpie@18
    These professionals were “taking the piss”? Q:So who has come in with an offer which isn’t “taking the piss”?
    A: Nobody
    Over to you, boss.

• i

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM

If Mata (albeit Chelsea’ player of the season for the last 2 years) was sold for £37.1 million and was currently on the bench. Therefore Cabaye nufc’ best player, mid season, on top form and already with 7 goals, surely must generate a similar transfer fee.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM

The talk of sanctioning of 4 signings, followed by part season ticket promos sums up Ashley’s slimey greed. Dangling the carrot of anticipation for the gullible whilst fishing for your money.

The essence of capitalism, gaining at the expense of others. He’s good at that.

The faster he is rid from this club the better. He can take his advertising with him as well.

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Ourtoon@21: We are “Desperate to sell”? From what cloud have you descended, chap? Our finances are stronger than ever, stronger than 95% of all clubs. Come clean, what do you know that we don’t?

• manxpie

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:31 AM

9 do you not think that is a reasonable assesment of why cabeye is worth alot more than 14 mill!?

when you think of players like nasri who came for a pittence and was sold for 25mil or so
    or fabregas who again came for nowt and made his name in the prem and sold for 35 mil
    or andy carroll cost us nothing and in half a season proved himself in the prem and sold for 35mil!!

so how is cabeye not worth 20-30 mil??

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM

i@23: Grow up.

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM

manxpie@26:
    Good stuff, you’ve shown me really, truly, correct bids for those chaps. When you can show me bids the same for the mighty Cabaye. I’ll agree with you. (I’m not holding my breath – and that doesn’t mean I don’t rate him, I seriously do – but facts are facts – show me a £25m or so bid)

• manxpie

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM

9 exactly so he ain’t gonna be sold at that price all it was doing is unsettling the player

but you were implying that he wasn’t worth as much as others were saying by these offers

and thats all they were saying “boss”!

• mattnufc

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:36 AM

@9
    Glad to see some common sense prevailing.

• Our Toon

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Please stop talking nonsense with the comment of “offer him wages we can’t afford” the question is why do you feel we can’t afford the wages? Why is our club the only one in world football that’s looking to make profits? Cabaye is not worth what Mata is worth but he is easily worth £25m

The offers made are derisory but none more so than the offers that we make for players…..unfortunately the time has come to reap what you sow for MA. Clubs hear about us taking the p!ss and penny pinching all the time so now they will do the same for our players!!

• Sazzer

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Few facts for all conspiracy theorist out there.

Blanc remains, Montpellier’s all-time leading goal scorer, with 84 in all competitions.

As a defender….

Rolland Courbis managed to convince Blanc to join Marseille.

He’s the current manager of Montepellier that trying to convince Cabella to move elsewhere.

• manxpie

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM

ourtoon i’m gonna throw a spanner in the works here with the 14mil offer from psg

totally just my imagination like!
    but this rule were a player can buy out his last 2 years
    supposedly cabeyes is 6mill
    now saying psg value him at 20 mil
    they offer 14 mil knowing this and say well he’ll be gone at the end of the season for 6 if ya don’t take this!?
    it’s made me wonder anyways lol conspiracy overdrive!!

on the arsenal bid i think they tried to just profit on a bad season for him and us tbh
    but after the season hes had so far there’s no way he’d be valued at 10 -11 mil

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Manx and others:
    The sad truth I was given, years ago, by somebody who I don’t particularly care for, but who, nevertheless, knew what he was talking about in his field, was about buying and selling horses: A horse is worth whatever a buyer is prepared to pay.
    Think on.

• 9

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Ourtoon@31
    I’m a bit worried about what you have said: I think your claim that we are “the only club in world football that’s looking to make profits” shows you’re not thinking at your best. Best of luck, mate, but please do have a serious think about this.

• Our Toon

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Desperate to sell….hears why we are desperate to sell, Cabaye is 28 he will have 2 years remaining on his contract at the end of the season, his value depreciates as every month passes. The player is in his prime and for MA to get a really good deal he needs to cash in on Cabaye who has already said he wants CL football, he won’t get that with us and the current model we have for growth. It’s not rocket science mate, it’s just a fact that we are desperate to cash in on the lad, he’s in his prime and we won’t recieve offers anywhere near the acceptable value in the summer

For your comment of our finances are stronger than 95% of all clubs…..we are the only club playing by the FFP rule mate wake up and see what’s going on around us, we get out spent by all of these clubs, you made a statement. That we won’t be able to compete with PSG for the lads salary, yet he’ll get taxed 75% in France….that may have a bearing don’t you think!!!

Final note on this subject but the fact that JFK etc came out and said that we have to sell before we can buy (comment made in the summer) tells you all you need to know

• manxpie

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:57 AM

9 that is obviously very true but so is the fact that 10-14 mil for cabeye is absolute bollicks and a piss take
    and if thats wat clubs are gonna offer then good
    but he is certainly worth a hell of alot more in “the real world” no doubt
    so i don’t really see ya point on picking up the points people are saying he’s worth more because he is!
    you could say that about anything that is of value in the whole world!
    pointless argument mate

• Our Toon

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM

We have bought a player in over a year for the first team, we’ve loaned a player but not bought one, are the finances that bad that we can’t afford 1 player!! Luuk De Jong was top transfer target and he’s another loan deal!! This regime is starting to take the p!ss, for the record there is the “buyers price” and then there is the “sellers price” both have to match!! If a house is worth £450k and I offer £200k I can’t say to the seller “hang on a minute the house is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay it” doesn’t work like that 9 otherwise my kids would be getting brand new PS 4’s for less than a tenner

• jimmysmith

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I don’t think we have that much control here in shaping our squad, when we are playing with the big lads. I imagine if a big bid comes in for Cabs we’ll sell and if our targets are overpriced we’ll baulk and be left without our best player and an increasingly frustrated squad for the rest of the season.

I think Ashley basically buys low, sells high and that’s it, for better or worse.

• lesh

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Jeeeezazzzz, 9, you still posting? Would have thought that you, like me a Geordie enjoying the south’s almost tropical weather, would have well tucked into bed by your carer. Mine’s asleep at the minute!

Anyway, I did post a response to your post (on the previous thread) about wages being counted as part of a transfer fee. Can I leave you to follow that one up – assuming the sleeping draft doesn’t kick in soon.

‘But with only five days left in the window if Cabaye is to be sold, we’ll need to get in a suitable replacement’? Ed I like your sense of irony!