The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Clement Grenier Wants To Become The Next Cabaye

8:36 am, Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier is said to be keen to join Newcastle United, and if the Tyneside club can pull off a deal for him in the next four days, he would be able to come in immediately to replace Yohan Cabaye, after a deal was struck with PSG for Cabaye last night.

clement grenier-99

Clement Grenier – open to Newcastle move

But sensible clubs don’t want to sell their best players half way through the season, as Newcastle are prone to do, and we think it’s going to be very difficult for us to get a good replacement in before 11:00 pm on Friday night.

L’Equipe reported that Newcastle have already bid €13M (£10.6M)for the Lyon midfielder, but Lyon seem unwilling to sell one of their best players in January, and specifically President Jean-Michel Aulas did not exactly welcome Newcastle’s bid over the weekend.

The 23 year-old is at least as good as Cabaye was at 23, and he is a very similar player to Yohan, being a box to box midfielder with terrific skills, and is good with free kicks, and he could improve big time on Tyneside.

But it doesn’t seem that Grenier is ready to move this month:

“I have learned that Newcastle are tracking me, but I have still have targets with Lyon.” “If one day because the time comes that I have to go, I will.”

“The main thing will always be to move forward. When you know where you want to go,  you must establish it and achieve it.” “For the moment, Newcastle’s offer is not in my head.”

“In the short term, I want to score goals with Olympique Lyonnais by the end of the season.”  “The World Cup is one of my goals. It is in a small corner of my mind. Is it better for me to stay in Lyon?”  “For the moment, yes.”

“There are still many goals with Lyon. I have the chance to play as often as I can. After that, we’ll see.”

Grenier’s representative Frederic Guerra has said that his player wants to move to Newcastle, and he saw clearly what happened in the 30 months that Yohan was on Tyneside.

Yohan did not have a full cap when he signed for Newcastle in June of 201  as a 25 year-old, having just helped Lille win the French League.

But now he is one of France’s best players and has 26 full caps, and he was outstanding for Newcastle all this season – but he became too good for us –  since Newcastle cannot offer Champions League football – which all the best players crave.

And while we think Newcastle should have held onto Cabaye until the summer, it would be very good if Newcastle can sign Grenier this week.

The 6’1″ tall 23 year-old has two and a half years left on his contract at Lyon, and while we are at it – maybe Newcastle can also sign Bafe Gomis from Lyon this week too – that would help raise the spirits of the Newcastle fans.

Grenier has played for Lyon all of his career since signing on for them back in 2002, and he has made 106 appearances with 15 goals and 21 assists, and he already has three full French caps, and only turned 23 earlier this month.

For the record, Yohan Cabaye played  93 times for Newcastle, scored 18 goals with 15 assists, and he will be remembered as one of the most skillful players ever to play in Newcastle United’s midfield.

Those free kicks of his were just exquisite and we are really going to miss him. :(

But life goes on.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target · Yohan Cabaye

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Jan 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM

so long dreamboat :(

I think I should start betting against players we’re linked with. It’s as sure as a pay-day anyways.

• 2 Markaccus // Jan 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Tads

My problem is he is not suited to the modern premiership winger role. As i said before, they have to work hard and have defensive duties too. Hba just wont do that. I prefer to see him dribbling past people through the middle, at least if he loses it he is protected, and if he is in full flow, he can make something happen. He just needs to sort his head out.

• 3 gaz 44 // Jan 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Marv does not have short comings of Hba. Both don’t defend granted but where as Marv looks for a pass Hba wants to do it alone. You can’t have a no.10 wanting to take on the world and turn round do it again .. For me needs to be someone who can take someone on but also needs to be able to split the defence with one brilliant pass.. Hba had it in his locker but doesn’t have the football brain to use it. Don’t get me wrong I love to see benny running at defenders scoring brilliant goals but not what you need for 90mins of a game.. Just my opinion..

Tads I don’t want to be limping over line either but we all know JFK ain’t a clue what day it is never mind the fact cabs could buy out his contract at end of the year then get it back in a signing on fee. He didn’t realise that till he read it in daily sport yesterday morning

• 4 ToonMatt // Jan 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Nobody is coming in and the Cabaye money is going the same place as the Carroll money, straight in Ashley’s pocket.

• 5 lesh // Jan 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Will JFK be authorised to offer both Lyon and Grenier however much it takes to get him signed up? Not a cat in hell’ chance. Will we sign him? What, spend money…..nah, no chance

• 6 GeordieDan // Jan 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Torq are you on here today?

Just wondered what you thought of this Clement Grenier as Cabaye’s replacement?

I know almost nothing about the guy so in your opinion is he fit to even lace Cabs’ boots?

Although whether Mike Ashley sanctions even 50% of the Cabaye fee to buy Grenier is another matter altogether and I would be hardly surprised if the “we’re going to have to go with what we’ve got” speeches are being lined up by Pardew already.

• 7 vipgreek // Jan 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Newcastle is not going to bring in no one new if they were if would have been weeks ago, the money is going to go in Ashley’s pocket , i just have to say this all you Newcastle supporters who sit there and criticize pardew need to wake the hell up , what can he do with the team he has put pardew in a team like Man city with an open cheque book and he too would get the best results .

• 8 ethiomag // Jan 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

what a player he is.perfect replacement for cabaye.can dribble,cracking long range pass,excellent crosses,excellent free-kick taker besides he is very young.we should move 4 him quick,even for 20mil,sad to see cabaye go at wrong time,is he available 4 norwich game by the way??

• 9 Owldman // Jan 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

So now that the inevitable has happened & we have lost our star player, actually par for the course for NUFC Beardsley,Gazza,Waddle, Alan Kennedy,Les Ferdinand,Carroll.& others.it will happen again as sure as day follows night.We have to move on so please Mr Ashley move fast & bring in a couple of class players to save our season or I can see a lot of disgruntled fans saying enough is enough & dumping their tickets

previous post: Cabaye Asked To Leave Newcastle To Join PSG