The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye – I’m At A Top European Club Now

8:04 am, Thursday, January 30th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

If Newcastle fans have any doubt about how far we have fallen as a once top English club,  then some of the words that Yohan Cabaye has uttered since his signing by PSG yesterday, should make things abundantly clear.

Yohan Cabaye Crystal Palace CWdqE4qrLIPl

Yohan Cabaye – moved to win trophies

We are no longer a big club, and cannot even challenge for a Europa League place every season – how the mighty have fallen.

This is what Yohan said yesterday:

“I want to win trophies and this club gives me the opportunity to do so. I did not hesitate at all. I moved because I want to win titles.”

“It is already great to play football, but everyone wants to win something. I am very, very happy to be here and I cannot wait to start with the club.”

“I am at a major European club now. The manager has not given me any guarantees. I am looking forward to giving my all and I will fight for my place.”

And since Yohan moved to win trophies,  that puts the spotlight squarely on Newcastle United, who haven’t won anything  since 1969, and quite honestly, we don’t look like we’ll win anything anytime soon either, with our dismal record ion the local Cups over the last three years.

And even Sunderland are threatening to win something this season, even though they are struggling with relegation.

If Sunderland beat Manchester City in the Capital One Cup final, which is unlikely but possible, it will put to shame what’s going on at our  club at the moment. :(

We guess that five-year plan of Ashley’s was not successful, and I’m not the only Newcastle fan who is just a little nervous about Saturday’s game against the Black Cats, who beat Stoke 1-0 last night.

But we have to keep supporting the lads, even if the current regime isn’t going to build us a top side anytime soon.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Contracts · European Champions League · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Iain Dowie // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:06 AM

We have played well most of the season and people are still moaning about the way pardew has us playing. Support the team and stop being deluded about where we should be in the table.

Regarding next season we are going to have a massive problem with our striking options. Remy will go back to QPR, Cisse will probably be away, as will ameobi and Delong. So that leaves us with no strikers. Now will mike Ashely finance us at least three strikers, a centre back to replace colo, a midfielder to replace cabay if he isn’t replaced in this window. And maybe a even a left winger which we are desperate for as well. Probably no, so just enjoy this season because only god knows what team we will be fielding next summer.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Why does everyone think Pardew may go to West Ham? He isn’t exactly popular with their fans following his last spell, and there is the small matter of having to pay off Fat Sam (the 13th highest paid manager in the world) and then buy out Pardew’s contract here….

A much more likely candidate is surely the unemployed Malky Mackay who was a fans favourite when he was a player there, plays the type of football that the fans want to see, and wouldn’t cost a penny to approach.

• 3 JAMSHA // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Lee Ryder @lee_ryder 12m
    Jean Michel Aulas told French media
    this morning he has rejected two offers
    for Clement Grenier #nufc #lyon

dnt expect any bids now…. be ready for lame excuse..

i say put 18mil offer if we reali want him

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Ian Dowie,
    Unless you can describe three people as the people of the blog, it is only three people moaning about the way we are playing.

• 5 theartfuldodger // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM

So nothing new today. No bids made.

Looks like in this whole wide world there is only 1 god damn player who can replace cabaye.
    And ofcourse after flogging jonas,cabaye and perhaps marveaux obertan and gosling later on, we still dont have room in our squad for 1 signing now and grenier and cabella in summer.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM

On this article, we are nowhere near the same level as PSG, so in that respect Cabaye is 100% spot on. Not really sure why anyone would be upset by him saying this…

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Jamsha,
    Keep smoking that Kashmiry black.

• 8 pawl250 // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Sun reporting Lukaku is available for 20m

Get on it! Lol

He would be an amazing signing for 20m! M

Gutted Grenier isn’t coming, they obviously are aware we are desperate and holding us to randsom as we did Carroll to Liverpool.

Gutted, he’s a great player!

Wey looks like we are going to come up short this window and have no replacements!

Bit peeved

• 9 catchy in norway // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM

catchy in norway // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM

jail

you can be a total prick sometimes

when have I ever said I want fat sam ???

and just because it suits your argument to say the club i,e mashley don’t want top 4, does not mean the manager can not get the best out of what he has at his disposal ,

and listen, I do not like Ashley as much as you, and I do see the problem is with him, he hired pardew, im asking for pardew to use his squad right, or get someone who can

10 million to replace pardew or 300 million to replace Ashley, which is more easy ?

now good morning pri**

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Loaning out Jonas while keeping Obertan in the squad, financially motivated anyone….

• 11 JAMSHA // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Kashmiry black.??? wats dat??

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:18 AM

That’s a bit harsh Catchy :)
    You did say you’d have Fat Sam over Pardew as he sets his teams up better, you should then said although I don’t want him here, then everybody would have accepted your argument and sided with uou.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Jamsha,
    Not that I’m an expert but it is an exceptionally strong strain of hashish gown in the foothills of Kashmir.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Get a grip Ed
    Newcastle big club
    We have never been a big club in footballing terms -winning championships – since the early 1900′s FA cup 1950′s
    Last Championship 1927
    Last Cup Win 1955

Yes a big club in supporter terms (cannot be a glory hunter) to support the TOON.

• 15 JAMSHA // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM

lol

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Jail,
    I’m pretty certain everyone wouldn’t have sided with Catchy if he had said that!! I certainly wouldn’t want Fat Sam and his one dimensional, and antiquated brand of football back here!!

Despite his direct style though, they are the only Prem side not to score headed goal yet this season in the league.

• 17 JAMSHA // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM

off to watch human vs zombies… hope kinnear gets eatn by a zombie

• 18 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM

standby for kinnear excuse tomorrow. we save the cabaye money and use a small amount of the bumper tv money at the end of the season to buy a single player cabella or grenier and loan another striker next season.

great way to run a club. on the bare minimum. 20 million for cabaye straight into ashley pocket. wonderful.

• 19 veto // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM

not liking his press he’s put out since the move , no mention of fans , just a thank you to the board for letting him go .

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Lil,
    I thought you of all people would have detected my attemt at humorous sarcasm in that post.

• 21 hitman // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM

carnt blame the lad for going to a club with ambition.can see ashley and his monkeys pulling fast ones here.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Jail,
    Ha, sorry, I’m not sure I am actually with it this morning! Still getting back into the swing of things since my holiday, and struggling to adjust to 2:30am wake ups for work again!

After 6 hours in the field then back in office to check on here I am probably only 50% with it!

• 23 Rotonda heights // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Ho refreshing to hear Tim Sherwood praise city for the way they played, ie always looking for more goals rather than sit on a 1-0 and put 10 men behind the ball.

Would be interesting to see how Pardew would have city playing with his ” containing ” style. There again would Pardew realistically get in a top 500 prospective managers list for city

Cabaye took a very well aimed and to be admired swipe at Ashley by declaring his desire to win things, which is never going to happen at NUFC.

It amazes me how some people still fall for the familiar BS line about signing Grenier. Messrs Ashley, JFK and Pardew are so bent they couldn’t walk in a straight line.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I love toon,
    It won’t be JfK who faces the cameras, it’ll some pored over script in the programme notes on Saturday.

• 25 pawl250 // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM

We need a playmaker…. Now!

Had to be before the Mackems aswell!

Just cannot see us winning this weekend …. Really I cannot.

Sunderland are flukey gets at the moment! I mean Southampton should have buried th, De Gea dropped the ball, Stoke harsh red!

Just unbelievable how spawny they are at the minute!

• 26 toonbrother // Jan 30, 2014 at 8:57 AM

had we hung on to cabaye we could have finished very strongly this season -5th or 6th – and attracted excellent talent across europe to our club. by selling him half way through the season we’ve inflicted a massive wound on ourselves both from a footballing and reputational standoiint

previous post: Cabaye Says A Big Thank You To Newcastle

next post: Will Joe Kinnear Draw Another Blank In This Transfer Window?