The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Self Destruct Before Sunderland Game

8:04 am, Friday, January 31st, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

Sunderland-born Adam Johnson makes a good point when he says Sunderland tomorrow can take advantage of a weakened Newcastle side - because our best two players this season – Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy will not be playing.

mike ashley joe kinnear

The two men leading Newcastle – but to where?

And they just happen to have 18 of Newcastle’s 32 Premier League goals this season, and Alan Pardew admitted yesterday our current weakness could be scoring goals.

That was certainly the case on Tuesday night at Norwich, where the good thing was the team played very well and created multiple chances, but we just couldn’t put the ball in the back of the net.

The Newcastle leaders, in all of their collective wisdom, decided to sell our best player this week – half way through the season.

And while we got good money for the French International – said to be around £20M – it looks like we will not be able to replace him before 11:00pm tonight – when the transfer window slams shut.

And Loic Remy managed to get himself sent off with Bradley Johnson at Norwich City on Tuesday night, and while Johnson’s three match ban was overturned by the FA yesterday (why?) – Remy’s was not – and therefore our top goalscorer with 11 goals will not be available for the next three games. :(

Those are two self-inflicted problems for Newcastle, and we have again managed to weaken the side in a transfer window.

Maybe somebody needs to tell Mike Ashley the basic idea of each transfer window is to strengthen the side – as we managed to do very well last January.

But then it was much more important to strengthen the side then, than it is now – because we were facing relegation a year ago.

That means we would lose the big money we get from the Premier League – and that’s why Mike Ashley moved like greased lightning after the home defeat against Reading,  and brought  in four good players  in four days towards the end of last January, and five French players in total including Mathieu Debuchy.

And maybe to raise the spirits of frustrated Newcastle fans – who are disappointed about this weeks events, Newcastle have to win this game tomorrow afternoon against Sunderland.

That would do the trick.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Premier League · Suspensions · Yohan Cabaye

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:08 AM

tads – from previous

Yeh I know, what are palace thinking, signing 3 or 4 players….they will go bust and end up in the scottish 3rd division.

lilongwe – from previous

Yeh…or maybe he will have 60mil but bid it all on a 70mil player…now that’s ambition

• 2 jayo // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM

theresno way ashely will give 60m in the summer. its another boring deadline day for us

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM

They happen to have 18 of the goals, if Goofy isn’t fit then that is another 6 of our goals taking us to 24 goals out of 32 scored missing from the team.

• 4 welshgeordie9 // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Why is David Craig reporting from Cardiff City’s stadium.

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Welsh
    Cause there’s going to be f**k all happening at ours
    BREAKING NEWS lets go to David Craig outside SJP
    “The cleaners have arrived back to you Jim”

• 6 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Sage
    I can’t believe how many PL clubs have taken the financial risk of bringing players in this window
    Idiots

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:13 AM

It could still be a busy day for Newcastle!!

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Reporter at newcastle’ training ground Christ that’s a first.

• 9 ramajama // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:14 AM

What do you guys think about trying to get Lewis holtby? Would be a quality signing I reckon

• 10 theartfuldodger // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Ashley is not using any logic. He is just having some fun trying peoples patience. There is no big plan or anything.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM

tads

maybe thats our plan…wait for everyone to do a leeds and we’ll win the league by default

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:16 AM

5toonarmydownsouth

Very good

• 13 Slank // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:16 AM

17Lilongwe @ 17

Very good point about the costs of the training ground.

I think it is true to say that more money will be available in the summer but it is not true to say that because the club gets ‘XYZ’ from the final position in the league that all of ‘XYZ’ will be used to buy players and because a player may have a media price of ‘ABC’ doesn’t mean that is what the total cost of buying that player is.

Some fans on here delude themselves by indulging in simplistic arithmetic. Kets please note.

• 14 geordieboy83 // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Bare with me guys

I don’t have many dreams in life but just over a year ago I had a son and that was the best thing to ever happen to me and the first part of my dream and the second part was to sit and support Newcastle together fir the rest of our days. I’ve been so excited, he’s got the kits the baby grows Christ even his teddy has a toon kit. All the time waiting for him to be old enough to walk out and see the stadium in all it’s glory and sing our hearts out together. But now I’m losing the passion, and I can’t put my boy through the sh1t we deal with.

Its so hard to admit to losing the love for my club, my blood it’s my genes I bleed black and white. It’s small things like a few years ago I took my wife to sjp, and as we walked into the stadium the look on her face was amazing, I had goosebumps all over. She instantly had 11 new hero’s. More importantly I said to her you don’t just have new hero’s, look around you now have 50000 strangers who are your new best mates.

And to lose this love is more heartbreaking than I think I can describe. So to the guys in charge well done you’ve managed to kill an immortal love.

: (

• 15 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Lilo
    GFN were reporting Haidara and Marveaux had been offered to clubs in France, didn’t stipulate if it was loan moves or sales but wouldn’t surprise me
    Be a great window for Kinnear and Ashley then like if got shot of Cisse too
    5 players out one in, don’t need a big squad, mid tables sewn up and no cups to worry about happy days

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Come on Pardew throw the two fat bastards a curve ball and walk! But wait until game day!

…I would just love to see their faces if he did :)

• 17 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Tads…one could argue Pardew only uses half of the players anyway…he has done that all season!

• 18 Slank // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:21 AM

7Lilongwe @ 7

You are determined to ruin Kets day with news of the greatest player in Newcastle’s history being sold. He will be totally distraught poor lad.

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:21 AM

A quote from Pards re LDJ

“He’s a finisher, so therefore you need deliveries. We’ll have to work that into our game when he plays.”

If we were capable of doing that Cisse wouldn’t be struggling as much. Also nice to note that we don’t normally work on deliveries to create goalscoring opportunities….

• 20 Slank // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Jesper

Looking at it another way he only uses the players who are any good!

• 21 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Jesper
    I don’t think he’s done that tbh, except for Marv on that list all the others have had game time and are part of the match day squad

• 22 theartfuldodger // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:24 AM

From GFN FRANCE

07:35 GMT: According to the Aujourd’hui en France, Bafetimbi Gomis has rejected offers from Everton and Fulham this month. The player is understood to be set on leaving in June for free and is rumoured to already have picked his future destination in England.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Geordieboy83,
    By the time your laddie is old enough to know what is going on hopefully this tenure will be over!

Slank,
    I know, I feel bad doing this to Kets, but I’m trying to find out what it feels like to ruin peoples hope so I can better understand Ashley and Kinnear.

Tads,
    I wouldn’t be too sorry to see any of those go, maybe Haidara, but hopefully Dummett can keep progressing. The only drawback would be not bringing in anyone to replace them! Although I guess LDJ is a replacement for Cisse!

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Slank…that one is on you mate!

tads…try have a look how many games each have started!

• 25 Slank // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If its true about Haidara going on loan then I think that’s a very good move if he gets regular first team experience in the same way that Dummitt became such a better player following his loan move. The left back position is probably the place where we have very good cover and so it makes sense.

Is Marveaux a victim of having Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Sissoko and Goofy at the club who are better than he is (yes it’s true Kets)? No great loss if he goes.

• 26 Slank // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:31 AM

23Lilongwe @ 23

Such a gent.

• 27 SholaHeskey // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Geordie, dont give up mate. it sucks at the minute but we are Newcastle United, we have the highs (4-3 vs liverpool, 5-0 man utd, 4-4 arsenal, shef wed hammered, spurs hammered) and the lows (relegation, transfer windows) – its in our DNA as geordies and british – we smile even though we hurt inside, we queue when everyone else is pushing in front. think of the good ol times and those 50,000 screaming when we score…or just think of jabba playing the sims playing the sims on his pc, moobs scrapping the keyboard whilst eating a cream doughnut and princess kinnear chained to him…makes me smile

• 28 ogm // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:38 AM

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that Cabaye wanted to go. He was quoted saying NUFC honoured an agreement to let him leave in January.

I’m just as disappointed as everyone else that we haven’t signed anyone to replace him, but lets be realistic here, Ashley will never spend the cash to make us a Champions League side, so the best players won’t come and our best players will leave.

So unless one of you guys has half a billion quid hidden down the back of the sofa to buy the club and make it great, we have to live with it, nowt we can do about it.

• 29 scitoon // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Through thick and thin geordieboy83! For me having that scumbag Barton play for us was a particularly very low point for me – but im still here! So much negativity but there are causes for careful optimism.

• 30 Novocastrian66 // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Feel sorry for the poor bloke standing outside Darsley Park. It’s freezing and he’ll have nowt to report.
    How about a bit speculation to liven up proceedings. What about Cisse to QPR ?
    Charlie Austin out injured, they need a striker and they could afford Cisse.

• 31 ToonDarnSarf // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Well, that’s 10mins of my life I’ll never get back.

Jesus, some of you guys are miserable. I’ll swear that a doctor would have a field day on here with diagnosing anti-depressants for a bunch of you.

Some of you just make me ashamed to be a Toon fan. You talk about love for the club, yet talk about boycotts or falling out of love. Supporting the club isn’t about how many players we sign or even how well we do in the league or cups, it’s much more than that! And if you don’t get that, then maybe you should go support Man Utd or Man City.

In fact, I’d wager that many of the whiners are exactly the sort who would support a glory club if they had been born in any other city, but peer pressure made them support Newcastle.

Complain about the lack of signings TOMORROW if you wish. Complain about the lack of advancement over next summer NEXT SEASON too.

Miserable cnuts.

• 32 SholaHeskey // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Novo, get that rumour started mate, ‘arry loves the telly. hanging out of his car trying to sell dodgy watches..why some people wanted him at the toon i dont know.

• 33 Malta Mag // Jan 31, 2014 at 8:50 AM

If HBA plays the role he did the other night and the team plays as well then we have nothing to fear. Was Adam Johnson talking about the same team I watched on TV the other night who were outplayed for 45 minutes by a 10 man Stoke?
    Of course we would like an incoming midfielder but don’t start exaggerating the point because the squad we’ve got is still good enough to cope. All the negative comments on here about Gosling for instance are totally out of order as he was viewed as a real capture when we got him and the kid hasn’t had a chance to show what he can do. Maybe now is the time to step up to the plate.
    Of course Cabaye was a gem but I still have the sound of screaming from our resident wringers when he replaced Nolan? Williamson is now everybody’s favourite and slowly becoming a cult hero while the likes of Debuchy and Anita have proved you wrong too.
    My guess is Ashley will bring in someone, that we’ll beat the “unwashed” 2-1 and Luke De Jong will score and hopefully silence a few on here.

• 34 arisesirbobby // Jan 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Just like to say good morning to fellow toon fans first time posting been following the blog for a while. Just like to say Ed enjoy the blog good banter keep up the good work…. Just one thing I could request Ed could you please refrain from attaching pictures (like the one on this one ) before breakfast time !!! As it’s the most important meal of the day (apparently ) and I for one could not stomach food after that image

• 35 James RS // Jan 31, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Yes the Mackems get lucky again playing a Newcastle side with No Cabaye; No Remy; No Gouffran and No Collocini.. and No permanent signings because of an inept Director of football. surely we are not going to lose to the Mackems again ! Someone cheer me up please.

previous post: Pardew Could Get Over £60M War Chest This Summer