Midfield Target Pleased He Didn’t Join Newcastle

Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella has told the French press that he has no regrets at all about not joining Newcastle in January, although we don’t know if a fee was ever agreed between Newcastle and his  French club, and that comes first before the player gets to decide whether he wants to leave or not. All that happened is the Montpellier President and manager amazingly bad mouthed the Newcastle club, and they showed they have no class.

remy cabella

Remy Cabella – glad he didn’t join Newcastle last month

But Newcastle found out last month that it’s very hard to get good players to leave their clubs half way through the season, and clubs don’t want to lose their best players,  and often it’s not convenient for the player to leave either.

Unfortunately, that was not true at Newcastle, and we sold our best player Yohan Cabaye last month – and he wanted to leave to join PSG, and the team is now weaker than it was at the start of the transfer window.

This is what Remy Cabella told French radio station RMC:

“I made the right choice to stay in Montpellier. I have goals, I hope to achieve.” “I was glad that they were interested in me but the most important is being here with Montpellier.”

“I was glad that they were interested in me but the most important is being here with Montpellier” “I do not see myself leaving. I am 100% focused with the team.”

In fact all the Newcastle midfield targets last month didn’t arrive on Tyneside, and in not one case did Newcastle even agree a transfer fee with their clubs, with Clement Grenier of Lyon and attacking midfielder Filip Duricic of Benfica being the other two targets, in addition to Cabella.

But in addition to Remy Cabella, Clement Grenier also came out on the second last day of the window, and said he had decided not to leave Lyon in January.

Both Cabella and Grenier were probably fed up at the games Newcastle were playing in trying to get them at rock bottom prices, and we don’t think what happened last month will necessarily help us in the summer, if we still want to get those two Frenchmen to the club.

It’s just a pity that Newcastle don’t seem to learn from their mistakes – we’ve made plenty of them  since the summer of 2007,  when Mike Ashley bought the club.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Not as glad as Ashley!

Anyway, it’s good when things work out for all parties.

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM

can ya blame him you dont jump from one sinking ship to another

• Toon Tang

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM

So, that mcdermott affair at Leeds is weird, they sack him and then realise they’d have to pay out so reinstated him in the hope he will quit? hahaha sounds like they’ve got a bunch of jokers on par with ours ruling the roost.

How are they going to make him quit exactly? Apply the clockwork orange eyelid opener uperers and make him watch a pardew training session maybe? Who knows…

The plot thickens

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM

blackley,
    I think you being older should act with a little more maturity and apologize as necessary.
    He may well have started this season with an improved squad and the results have shown that, but as I’ve said the squad certainly isn’t any stronger as we were at least five players short last January and five players have since left since, and you cannot say he wasn’t totally hung out to dry that seadon we finished fifth.
    I hope you know my stance on the silver tongued lothario before you go accusing me of something I’m not.

• Graeme

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I would suggest that the complete lack of ambition to do nothing more than finish in the top half ish, every year, would put any ambitious player off coming here.

The 5 French lads last year could well be the last for some time – their plan has now been sussed – who wants to buy into that sort of deal????

• p

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

jfa and Blackley – it is a bit of both.

Pardew should have got a couple of decent replacements 2 in and 2 out at the very least.

That said, there was no excuse for Saturday. The players and Pardew need to take responsibility for that debacle.

• BandB

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Who was banned from .co.uk?
    Explain

Please.

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM

p

debacle good word haha

• p

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Now we know where Mash was on Saturday, looking to buy an Irish ailing sports retailer

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Has everybody read the waffle section of the match report on NUFC.com it’s harrowing !

• Mike's Iron Curtain

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM

P

So trying to consume his competitors again, he really is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob

• BandB

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Hello Jail,

Were you not there?

• Toon Tang

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM

did he just say man city annual wage bill is 400m? frigging hell like

• Toon Tang

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM

class goal that were

• Mike's Iron Curtain

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Toon Tang

I read this morning that their playing staff wage bill was costing them approximately £693k a day, so works out to be around £253m a year.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM

p,
    I’m simply not going to defend Pardew for that as his motivational tactics for the last few Derbies and FA cups are diabolical, but all the players knew Cabaye was going and for all we know thought a morale boosting replacement would be brought in, Pardew has his work cut out lifting this lot up for the remainder of this pointless season.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

BandB hello,
    No I’ve only been up there twice even though I said I wouldnt,three including the testimonial.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

what a fantastic post below. really could not be any clearer

take a chance

148sparky55 // Feb 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I think most of you are pre-judging what young hungry managers would think of the opportunity of managing newcastle even with Mashley in Charge.

If you are say an up and coming manager like Pochy, or a Laudrup, a Rogers, a Poyet, a OGS for example…and Mashley said to you…”You know what I’m like, you know I run the club like a business, you know I’m a tight cnut, I’m not going to give you any budget for 18 months, but I can offer you premiership football, a good squad and 50,000 home supporters and I want you to get the most out of this crop of players, will you come work for me on 500k a year…I THINK EVERY ONE OF THEM WOULD HAVE SNATCHED HIS HAND OFF.

Obviously we can’t get any of those managers for that kind of money now, put there’s plenty of managers at the same stage in their careers like the above were two years ago that would join us under those circumstances.

So just don’t get the argument of who we would get cos even Mashley can’t be happy at the Sh!te Pardew delivers week in week out.

As a supporter I would be much happier with a progressive manager making his squad play like sunderland did on saturday against us and put up with Ashley so long as the football was good.

• Toon Tang

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:41 PM

mike, same price as the whole of toon eh. It may have been Chelsea with 400 i dont know, just heard commentary saying it then.

• BandB

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Jail,

I could have got you a ticket for the derby, if you’d wanted one.

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM

rotonda

is sparky55 your other i.d haha

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM

BandB I got banned because I used to disagree with the duo of big dave, controller of the blog hammer, and my brother troy. I used to liken them to vicky pollard for their “yeah but, no but” views. Dave couldn’t take it in the end and troy disappeared every time I came on.

• BandB

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Blackley,

Were they, like, “the master of the blog?”
    Like Ciaran.
    Or are you fighting old battles?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:50 PM

BandB,
    Thanks, but this January has left me angry and the only way I’ll go back in there this season is if there’s some form of protest organised.

• MrMojoRisin76

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Rotonda
    what a fantastic post below. really could not be any clearer

Why would repost somebody’s post like that?,i have seen hundreds of good posts on here but i don’t feel the need to repost them on another thread with a statement of recommendation.I think Wolfshead got it spot on.

• terencelim

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

@Rotonda heights, but why would you still want to “accept it” when we all know what Ashley is about? It just doesn’t make sense at all.

• Thump

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

@dubzy: Time for change(.org)?

• BandB

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Blackley,

Given your past experiences, wouldn’t it be better to work yourself in with your strong opinions?
    Rather than curling your not altogether charming or impressive lip at people who have earned their stripes on this, your refuse?

PS

It is spelled SpartAcus. Nothing worse than an illiterate know-all, don’t you think?

• stuart no9

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM

anybody know where I can aquire a MAOC T shirt ??

• lesh

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Obviously Kinnear’s made a lasting impression on Cabella and no doubt every other supposed target he’s gone near.

Putting him in charge of player recruitment is akin to putting King Herod in charge of a creche.

Ashley could help what little credibility by sacking Kinnear.

That’d be one step in the right direction

• mindshaft

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

@rotunda – sadly there have been a lot more up and coming managers that have failed when given the opportunity
    I wouldn’t even take laudrup as he’s taken a decent team and actually made them relegation candidates

• Ibizatoon

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Blackley…And didn’t Troy get banned too?

Rotonda / Sparky…”We all know what Ashley is about now…all we have to do is accept it and get on with it, but we don’t have to accept the sh!te Pardew serves up every week do we?”

I get the feeling that perhaps you don’t get what Ashley is about. He doesn’t care about the footballing side, it’s even been said he doesn’t understand football.

I really think you need to reassess what the actual problem is at the club.

We’ve had this discussion before, if Ashley wanted better football he’d have a better manager or even better coaches to work with the current one.

He hired a fitness coach, that’s about the only positive thing I can see he’s done for the past 12 months and before that, he was rectifying mistakes, not pushing forward.

Everything is a result of Ashley.

• manxpie

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM

rotunda you do know OGS is supposedly on about 4 mill a year don’t ya?
    laudrop has turned a very good swansea team into well a much shitter one
    pochotino cried and spat his dummy out of his pram because there director of football left now he’d be crying for a very different reason if he was under our DOF!
    poyet lets see where they are come the end of the season infact lets see if there’s been turd left in man city’s wembley dressing room!

and any ways do you’s lot think an up and coming manager would ever pick newcastle as his 1st club to manage in the prem?

its not labelled the hardest job in england for nowt its very high pressure and cup winning managers have come here and its been the end of them!

imo no up and coming managers would touch this job they’d rather go to a lesser team with much lesser expectations

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM

John Tudor….come on and give me some of your pearls of wisdom, me auld mucka

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Ibiza – troy was banned many times in the early days.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Troy Stavers has acted like a true gentleman on here and it is a pleasure to read his posts.

• BandB

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Ibiza,

Hang on a bit,

Troy got banned too??????

eee, I’m proper flustered now. What a family!!!

I need to check this out myself. I almost wish I didn’t have the toolkit.

Well, beddy-byes, bloggers.

I’ll not be chuckling myself to sleep in a smug state of self-satisfaction though. What sort of horrid person would do that?

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

it’s obvious Cabella said this during a interview, it’s not as if he would say ” i wanted to join Newcastle because they are a bigger club and have better fans with more passion than Montpellier ”

Cabella has fans over there and doesn’t want to let them down by saying he wanted to come here.

when summer comes and if we bid for him he would probably accept it regardless of our and his Chaimen.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

BandB
    It tells you something when the best thing you can do is pull someone up for their spelling and grammar. Top lesson on a blog is not to do that and especially not for misspelling a personal name!

The things I curl my lip up at are clever comments like that. Anyone who is polite to me I respect. I never mock anyone who doesn’t undeservedly dish it out. I like to speak up for anyone being bullied by the big shots. As there’s a few on here my lip is frequently curled and you may get the wrong impression of me.

1 2 3 5