The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – It Was A Little Bit Hairy Scary At Times

9:36 am, Monday, February 3rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

All that 52 year-old Alan Pardew and the Newcastle players can do is to study what the heck happened on Saturday against Sunderland, when we were ripped apart and try to pinpoint all the mistakes that were made and learn form them before the next game at Chelsea on Saturday.

vurnon anita

Vurnon Anita - poor penalty to give away

And if we don’t turn up at Stamford Bridge on Saturday – we’ll be ripped apart by a talented Blues side.

Alan said the team needs to go back to basics:

“All I can do is determine the result next week,” “That’s all I can do.” “But I do see a team that needs to go back to basics and have a little bit more control of possession.” “It was a little bit hairy scary at times.”

“We were committing bodies forward and leaving ourselves exposed.” “We can’t afford to do that against anybody.”

“Really and truly, I felt the whole mood of the stadium might have changed with a goal,”  “Unfortunately, it went the other way.

“We changed with it, and got very erratic. It’s all well and good putting a tackle in, winning your headers – we competed well with Sunderland – but certainly they had much more composure on the ball.”

“That was the difference. Sometimes it’s that extra moment around the box, in which you create a chance or have conviction in a shot.”

“Cheik Tiote’s shot and Shola Ameobi’s header were the only two chances I felt had any conviction.”

It was a terrible challenge by  Vurnon Anita that conceded the  penalty and started the demise and the first goal in any derby game is always important.

But this week is likely to be like a circus for Newcastle, and Alan Pardew seems fair game for the press, but he has to do a lot better in these games against Sunderland, a lot better, and for the fourth time in a row Gus Poyet go the better of him.

And if the two managers are still in place for next season, I’m not particularly looking forward to the two derby games. :(

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Vurnon Anita

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Right

People are now condoning the mental torture and abuse of a man, simply because they DONT THINK he is very nice, and dont like him as a manager. Do these people think that thier attitude is ‘classy’??

• 2 catchy in norway // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM

catchy in norway // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I may be missing something here ,

LDJ, if I read the comments on here how is he ment to do well now we have lost our so called auperstar that we carnt live without,

we have a player that is starting in a new league, he is not match fit, in a team that does not create chances , that is now low in confidence

too much fuss is being made of the cabaye situation , and not enough of the LDJ one , the kid is on a hiding to nothing ,

big changes need to take place , soon , from top to bottom

• 3 Rainrix // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM

From Previous, Lil…. Agree, he’ll bring more to the field than say cisse or ameobi will when they aren’t scoring. I think we saw earlier in the season remy benefits playing with a stronger striker. I don’t expect him to be prolific either, at least not to the level he was in the dutch league (Seems incredibly easy to score goals there) but hopefully he’ll bring a new dimension. Just typically as we’ve mentioned fans are straight on his back after one game, give the lad a chance first everyone!

89… And yet if he scores a hat trick next match he’ll be a world class CF. A bit of balance would be nice :)

• 4 Rainrix // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

It’s alright Al just revert to 19th century football, that’ll stifle jose :)

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

T4C and MAOC need to start enlisting the help of the local rags. Whilst I don’t have a huge amount of time for some of the journalists involved, since the banning of NCJ media they have being much more critical of the club then when they were allowed on the inside.

The journalists would be able to draw on good sized audiences for the organisation. On a similar note, what is Luke Edwards current stance at SJP? He was banned last year, is he now allowed back in? If he is still banned he is another journo with strong links to the North East (former Journal writer). His writing for the Telegraph could bring the campaign to a national audience.

• 6 sparky55 // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I can see it now…Pardews gonna take a leaf out of Allardyce’s tactics book and park a bus.

we’ll be lucky to get away with 4

• 7 catchy in norway // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM

mark

is what Ashly and JFK doing not kind of torture too?

he can quit any time he likes

if he chooses to stay , then it is his own fault , the job he has is a high pressure job anyway, he only makes it harder

• 8 Transfer Sage // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM

lilongwe

you have a good knowledge of all things local to newcastle, despite being maybe the furthest away.

You’d be welcome with MAOC i’m sure.

• 9 ShearerShearer // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

OK, so I live a long way from Newcastle and the story that floats around is that Pardew only got the job because he owed MA money through gambling and that the only way MA can get the money back is to employ him and take a cut of his wages each month. Is this a load of rubbish or does it explain why he has to do as MA says?

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Rain,
    He wasn’t even that prolific in Holland when compared to Kuyt, Alfonso Alves, Bony, Van Wolfswinkel etc. His record in Holland is worse than Altidore’s….

But Pardew has labelled him a finisher so for people who know little about him that is what they will expect and judge him on. I think that is unfair on the lad as he is much more than that.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM

On LDJ,
    If the club had brought him in at the start of January it may well have been a different debut, I still can’t fathom out why it took so long to bring him here, was it finance or was it thinking it would soften the Cabaye loss ? We’re being run by cheats and liars.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I’ve just spoken to someone involved with T4C and basically T4C is just an umbrella group for lots of different organisations, anybody is welcome to share ideas, I’m going to get details of a paypal account as banners and planning permission aren’t free, a couple of quid wouldn’t dent anybodies pocket and would go a long way.

• 13 Markaccus // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Catchy

Erm… ashley and jfk are the torturers i was talking about!

I am also saying that the people on here who condone this torture have no class themselves, and as such have damn well no right to call someone else classless.

Nobody with an once of human decency should sit there and wish abuse on someone, just because they dislike him. I would ask this….. If Gary speed had been disliked by people here, would they have said “good riddance, his depression serves him right” when he hung himself? It is the same attitude after all. F#cking Troglodites.

• 14 Rainrix // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Lil…. Ah right must admit i hadn’t really checked his record but you’re right. Wasn’t really till his final season that he picked up a decent tally. Interesting to note that he was twentes top assist provider in 2010-2011 so he obviously has more to his game.

In that case you just have to hope people will judge him on the shifts he puts in and not solely on goals

• 15 cbtoon82 // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM

From previous.
    I’m not a massive Pardew fan, I don’t think he a particularly good manager. However, after reading this I find it hard not to feel sorry for him. He clearly has no say when it comes to transfers. It sounds to me like he has been gagged by the club. Any legal experts on here know if that is possible? As in could it be stipulated in his contract that he can’t talk about certain aspects of the club?
    I can’t see why he hasn’t walked yet, if it was me I would walk. At some point he will, wether Ashley has anything in him or not. Which is clearly all speculation.

• 16 catchy in norway // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

good luck LDJ , your now in charge of saving pardew

• 17 HullMag6 // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

3 points and we’re mathematically safe at 40 in theory. Typically no ambition Ashley just safety and stability how those two words make me sick these days.

Ashley out.

• 18 Rotonda heights // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Pardew ” I’m still the right man for the job”

Which job would that be is that then Alan?

That statement is a red flag to a bull because as boss of NUFC you never were, are or ever will be.

Pardew moans endlessly about lack of numbers but he has systematically shunned Cisse, Marveaux, MYM and to a lesser degree Ben Arfa and Anita.

These are all good (some 10M) players suffering and made to look poor under Pardew’s cockeyed and limited one dimensional leadership .

We didn’t have Cabaye at Norwich but for 45 mins passed the ball. One player leaves and the ensuing 194 long balls debacle to Shola showed Pardew had no faith in the players and more importantly no coaching ability to change to an effective and imaginative Plan B.

Managers like Rodgers , Martinez etc are on the practise pitch for hours working on pass and move drills. God knows what Pardew does.

Lets not forget we lost 4 in a row and scored only 1 goal just before Cabaye left. That has now morphed in to 5 losses in 7 with a pathetic 3 goals scored.

In his own head, a bit like Allardyce, Pardew thinks he is really good. History shows us otherwise and the endless ”ifs and buts” excuses don’t wash any more, if they ever did.

• 19 ErnestHemingway // Feb 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Jail, transfer sage…

Ashley appears to be asset stripping the club, not only of players – but of land too? He is milking us dry and the time has come to do something about it.

I cancelled my season ticket over a year ago and while I understand that not everyone wants to do this, drastic times call for drastic measures.

A friend of goes to the match with his dad, they have done since my mate was 5 (he’s 33 now) and they will always go. My friends dad went with his grandad and this tradition will be passed down from generation to generation. There are thousands like that and I understand why they will always go to the match. But we really need to organise something.

It will be hard to do, but a boycotting of games should really be looked into. I feel now is the perfect time as – essentially this season is a right-off. We cant be relegated so let’s make a stand against the ownership of the club.

I really dont feel that anything else will work.

Journalists writing nasty things about big Mike isn’t going to change things one bit. In fact, that may make things worse, as we’ve seen what a petulant guy he is (pardew has even alluded to this in interviews).

Come on fellow mags, let’s get this joker out of our club and city for good.

• 20 SharpEnough23 // Feb 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Someone needs to start a crowd fund to get rid of these muppets and give the club back to it’s rightful owners

• 21 catchy in norway // Feb 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

mark

you reap what you sow,

health comes before anything in life , if your not healthy you can not function right

he needs to step back, or he will implode . it’s there for all to see he I being forced out, they want him to quit so they don’t have to pay him money

in fact I would go as far as to say if he quit , an took them to court, he would get his contract paid up in full, and still find a job

so I have no pity for the guy

• 22 GenralHez // Feb 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

My mother, who is 86 years young, said she had never being so humiliated or ashamed as she was after the latest disgrace served up by NUFC.
    She would make a better job than Pardue as manager. As far as JFK is concerned, I am surprised a successful business man like Ashley would continue to waste money such a waste of space.

• 23 Rotonda heights // Feb 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

CBtoon

the tragedy is Ash as thinking of sacking Pardew and appointing Poyet when he left brighton!!

I think Gus, martinez etc who some persons thought weren’t good enough for us would have too much integrity to work for Ashley though.

• 24 Coach // Feb 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Motivation starts at the top. So does de-motivation.

We have a owner who doesn’t care any more, Kinnear who tells us to judge him on his signings and Pardew who is surely the only manager in the premiership who thinks Shola Ameobi should be anywhere near their squad and when you’re losing a match, thinks swapping a left back for a left back is a tactical substitution.

It can’t surprise anyone that the players look like they don’t know what’s going on. They don’t.

• 25 hadthetshirt // Feb 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

How on earth is LDJ going to score goals in this line up.Papiss Cisse cant even get a game and his goals record is very good here,despite what quite a few think of him.We are not set up to play like that.i wonder how long it is before LDJ is on the wing.To me we need to play Cisse, LDJ,and Marveaux till at least Remy’s ban is up and Gouffran fit again.Selling Cisse is just stupid in my eyes.The guy has proven he can score in this league,hence Arsenal trying to get him.Marveaux can make assists too as he has proven.I know loads of you do not like them two,but what choice do we have till at least summer.Remy is leaving 23 should never get another game,and who’s to say LDJ will sign.

previous post: Pardew – I Put Luuk de Jong In At The Deep End