Midfield Target Still Interested In Move To Newcastle

Two of the players Joe Kinnear failed to bring into the club last month were midfield targets Remy Cabella of Montpellier and Clement Grenier of Lyon, and Joe finally paid the price for his incompetence as Newcastle’s Director of Football,  and he was fired on Monday night – and that was a huge relief to Newcastle fans.

clement grenier-99

Clement Grenier – still interested in Newcastle move

And we have to admit we are just a little concerned that Joe may have damaged Newcastle’s chances of getting those players  into the club over the summer, and both players seemed frustrated at Newcastle’s attempts to get them in January.

And it’s not the first time that Newcastle have gone in with a bid that is so low that the club (and even the player) take it as an insult.

That seems to be what happened with Grenier, but in the French press he doesn’t appear to bear any grudges to Newcastle when he was asked about the interest of the Tyneside club in him last month:

“It is always flattering to know that some big clubs are interested in you, you never want that to stop.” “The most important thing for me is to keep up the consistency on the pitch, so that I continue to be worth that kind of attention.”

“Lyon have always been a big club for me, and there is still consistency there despite a change of status compared to some other clubs in the league.”

Of course Arsenal are also said to be tracking Grenier, and they are a really big club, who have huge ambitions, so if they move in for the 23 year-old French International this summer, Newcastle will have no chance.

But there’s absolutely no reason why Newcastle cannot be making moves right now to try to seal the deal for some of  our targets in the summer, although that may be difficult at the moment.

Newcastle Secretary Lee Charnley and Finance Director John Irving are the two  currently responsible for transfers  into and out of the club, so we hope they are aggressively pursuing Newcastle’s targets.

And certainly before June rolls around Mike Ashley should be appointing another Chief Executive at the club, and we have to hope his choice is better than Joe Kinnear was.

In short – Joe was an unmitigated disaster for  Newcastle, and that’s putting it mildly.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• catchy in norway

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

catchy in norway // Feb 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM

what I have found with fans

most are exactly like pardew , don’t see the game , can not read players ,
    they would rather change all the players for not performing than a manager who carnt get the best out of them, they are also the ones who bang on about stability ,

I don’t get this word stability in football , transfers happen 2 times a year , in reality this has been the most stable the club has been , ,,, not many coming and going , makes you wonder

• catchy in norway

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM

rebekka

telling what they want to hear , works too,

• John Tudor

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM

jk was not fit to do dog walking service let alone be a dof

• Harley

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM

And no one knows the game and reads the players like you eh catchy?

• John Tudor

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM

till ashley leaves we are going one way

• jazzyp

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Cabella-Greneir-doumbia and a world class Centre half is what is needed and would not even need any substantial outlay from the fat controller in the summer months……….If only eh guys

• John Tudor

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM

he reads it better than parlump and most others i bet

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM

why doesn’t MA still bid for these players?

just because the window is shut doesn’t mean we can’t bid.

personally i would bid for Cabella & Grenier now rather than summer when there price would probably be higher then

• ~Anita One Bites The Dust~

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM

The daft kernt whose name I shall not say probably referred to the lad as ‘Cement Grinder”

• geordieboy83

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Catchy

It’s not a case of not reading the game and players etc! It’s a case if people reading the game differently to yourself.

We can all claim to be footy whizzes, for example I’m a very successful amateur football coach so understand the basics of how to play attractive football, and when players look demotivated etc, but professional is a different level altogether.

How many tines do we scream out Ben Arfa on for example he will make all the difference blah blah and then he changes nothing in the time he’s in the pitch. Perception, fantasy and reality are all so do different

• ~Anita One Bites The Dust~

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM

and called Remy Cabella, ‘Runny Nutella”

• catchy in norway

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Hayley

I’m not saying that, but at least I have been consistent in my views regarding pardew and his brand of football, I don’t slate players often, obertan , yes, all the time

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:19 AM

and for the Chelsea game like I said a few days ago prepare for a battering, this game would probably be the biggest result against us even bigger than the Liverfool results.

I’m going for Chelsea to win 8-0 and I ain’t joking.

• jayphoto

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Disagree Catchy! Most fans call for the manager or board to go way before players to be changed! Any calls for transfers with toon fans is due to the woeful record in the transfer market and a relliance of players that aren’t good enough!
    For me Pardew and HBA ironically have performed similar this year, sometimes well but more often woeful yet fans call for pardew to go whilst still cheering HBA! (Keep in mind top managers have failed to get HBA consistent not just pardew)

• jayphoto

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Last time we lost 3-0 to the mackems we followed it up with 6 against Liverpool… Hope thats not an omen
    Saying that this season We’ve been surprised with some top away performances and Pardew fairs alright against chelsea usually

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Catchy
    I’d agree with that I said yesterday and didn’t like saying it a lot of fans just spout motd tripe or whatever pundit they listen to, a lot can’t even form their own opinion.

It’s easy to be a sheep and follow the crowd it’s a lot harder to stand alone and buck the trend.

• niafron

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Bonjour messieurs.

Don’t see Grenier to sign this summer…

• canadiantoon7179

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Hey guys i’ve been reading this blog for a while and i’ve finally decided to start posting. Im a huge newcastle united fan from Canada and i would be happy to have a football discussion with any of you. I wanna start of by saying Mourinho, one of the greatest managers of all time has said Alan Pardew is a great manager yet some people will still bash Pardew for the great work he has done with no backing at all! I dont think some of our players are as good as most of us make them out to be, and with the departure of cabaye we are even weaker, and its not pardew’s fault that no replacement was signed. Overall I think Pardew is doing a very decent job and we are exactly where we should be in the table, around 8th place.

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM

jayphoto

History will repeat itself again, we have no striking options, Tiote is out injured so we have Anita, Sissoko & Gosling and Taylor once again will be ahead of MYM.

even before the game has started Chelsea have us in there back pocket

• breno95

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM

for me its a case of damage limitation today for the toon. i hope APs comments about changing the style is not his way of saying we are going to just smash it up top to Shola (who btw should not be in any squad selection again).
    as for team selection today from the players who are available i would go with
    krul
    williamson yanga taylor
    debuchy haidara
    anita sissoko marveaux

HBA
    LDJ

• jazzyp

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Jayphoto
    Montpellier president I think would be interested in a swap deal with Hba and Cabella which would be a cracking deal for Nufc.
    Hba for all his potential fails more often than not to deliver game in game out and would not be a massive loss unlike the selling of Cabs will be

• davetoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM

@Jay interesting point about HBA

personally I think that Pardew wouldnt start him now if everyone was fit and Cabaye still here.

Dont think he had earned it but got his spot through other players not being available

• jazzyp

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Niafron
    Why not matey. No other club showed any interest in jan apart from us. Lets hope the same happens come the summer months

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM

canadiantoon7179

all managers would say there opposite manager are great managers, it’s not as if JM will turn around and say Pardew is a rubbish manager and shouldn’t manage Newcastle

• canadiantoon7179

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM

@Black and White Mourinho wouldnt! did you see what he said about big Sam and West Ham the other week? I think Mourinho just speaks his mind here

• Black and White with an army lol

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM

canadiantoon7179

I honestly think JM speaks with a lot of pride when it comes to Newcastle, when you think about it Sir Bobby Robson made Jose what he is today and i think Jose would never forget that

• croftus5678

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM

in honesty a lot of players have improved under pards !

ba/cabaye/colo/santon/goofy i think have all improved since pards has been here with shola/arfa also improving but imo still not worthy of a first team place (before the cries on arfa start the lad has grown in confidence and doesnt lose the ball half as much as he did when he first joined but his still has no final product)

i refuse to get into this rubbish about getting a better manager ect as how many better managers “could” we actually get ? theres hardly any there is any chance of getting who will put up with everything.

we was all screaming di-canio as manager (even me) and even with money look what happened ! shows all us who claim we know football dont know everything.

• geordieboy83

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Rebecca

Again it’s not a case of being a sheep or following the crowd , it’s about forming an opinion that u believe, and if that is the majority feeling amongst fans it can hardly be helped. Therefore I wouldn’t class myself as a sheep.

Pards has many many faults but Jesus I can’t believe I’m going to say this 1 of our Herod Keegan was so tactically inept in terms of a plan b or c. Yet we hail him as a messiah lol it was enjoyable but if I threw as much money as he did in the squad and just played 5 a side in training as he did and said attack, I’m sure I and you would have similar results.

Pards is mediocre at best but the bloke fronts it up each week, makes excuses yeah but name a manager that doesn’t! He shows passion for the club and never walks away which is admirable for me.

• canadiantoon7179

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM

@ Black and White I totally agree with you, but the point im trying to prove is that so many players that have worked under pardew for us have come out and said how great he was yet some people on here say that players who do not perform have been “pardewed”. That there really grinds my gears! What players exactly have been pardewed? ben arfa? he has been more successful with newcastle than with any other club he has been at. cabaye? Pardew made him into a star Remy? his goals to game ratio for us is better than he has had at any other club! i could honestly go on for any other player we have but my point is this, its not Pardew its Ashley!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I thimk Joke Kinear has damaged the club and made us the Laughing Stock of the whole League ?

But Ashley has been doing that for years, before he got Joke back to take the Flak from the fans !
    I,m hoping Fat Ash will finally find someone to buy him out?

We are going to lose again today, i predict a 4 or 5 to nil scoreline?

• Kris

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM

My team for today:
    Krul
    Debuchy, Taylor, M’Biwa, Haidarä
    Sissoko, Tioté
    Hatem, Marveaux, Sammy
    Shola

Bench: Elliot, Willo, Dummett, Anita, Gosling, De Jong, Obertan

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Canadian
    I take everything Jose says with a pich of salt, didn’t he say Santon would be the new Maldini?

Geordie
    I agree on the Keegann comments I personally wouldn’t have brought him back last time. I just think Pardew is terrible Kenny dog leish was our worst prem manager but Pardew has taken that tittle too.
    His record here speaks volumes

• breno95

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM

at least there is a glimmer if hope people. lets all be thankful Kris the blogger is not the manager with his line up.
    taylor & both ameobi’s from the off.
    ffs get a grip lad.