Pardew To Change The Way Newcastle Play

Alan Pardew had mentioned last week that now Newcastle are without their number one player-maker Yohan Cabaye, Newcastle may have to change the style and formation in which the team plays.

Yohan Cabaye Crystal Palace CWdqE4qrLIPl

Yohan Cabaye gone – system will change

Yohan also scored five goals in his final seven appearances for Newcastle, so he was becoming not only the number one play-maker,  but also a real goalscorer, and his two goals at West Ham were simply sublime, in his very last Newcastle performance.

Why did we sell him half way through the season again?

This is what Alan Pardew has said today:

“We can’t play the same way as we did with Cabaye,” “We’re not going to be the same team we were in the first half of the season. We’re looking for something different and I have to get that into play as quickly as possible.”

“On reflection maybe we did have a bit too much emotion on the pitch against Sunderland,” “We weren’t composed in the areas where you need to be composed. Clearances, for example.”

“Or being around the 18-yard box and waiting that extra half-second to make the final pass. All those moments we got wrong. That happens sometimes.”

We hope Pardew and the players learned a lot from the Sunderland game because basically we were hopeless, and things have to improve – and as the manager says – things have to improve quickly.

And the manager has to get the best out of the players he has available, that’s almost a definition of coaching, and if he doesn’t have the players to play the way we did when Yohan was here, then he’ll have to change it.

However, we don’t want to go back to the way Newcastle played sometimes last season, when we were in trouble, and used the long ball most of  the time.

We hope Newcastle can still play some good football.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:15 AM

This is probably the headline most fans want to see.
    I think he’s flogging a dead horse his limitations are quite obvious.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Not sure what to make of this really.

If Pardew thinks we’ve been playing good football, does this mean reverting back to a more direct style?

Many fans don’t think we’ve played well, so would that mean the change will be a positive one?

Seeing as we tend to have a varying style of play from game to game, my guess is not a lot will really change.

Take your pick I guess.

• Belfast

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Fantastic news.

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Ibiza from previous
    I can’t agree mate I was on distant shores for the rest of our CL experiences, even under Robson I was stuck in Scotland in Hamilton.

Did see Ginolas scorcher against fevehranhace Whatever there called which was magic..

• Belfast

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM

We look absolutely shite when we play this way. Last season should have taught percy that.

• IITianToon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I don’t think Chelsea will give us much chance to play to be honest!

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I’ve just logged back on here from this afternoon….I knew Rebecca had a tadger. I can spot a tadger a mile off.

Catchy, I think you’re in there, lad.

• IITianToon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Hazard v Debuchy gonna be a good battle. Two ol’ pals, both know each other’s game, hope our player comes on top!

• Ibizatoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Rebecca…How very selfish of you..you’d rather we weren’t in the CL if you weren’t able to attend or have I misunderstood? 🙂

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM

The man is in a fantasy land of his own with Alan Pardew cardboard cut outs of himself everywhere.

Passes round the 18 yard box? Alan, don’t you mean shots from 30 yards.

Marveaux can play those passes in and around that area but he doesn’t get a game, and we certainly don’t play with a clear plan of opening up those kind of chances.

Dreamland.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I think Chelsea will spank us tomorrow. I think mourinho is a cautious coach in the big games, but his teams do tend to steam roller the lesser lights, especially at home. With the injuries we have, and the mood around the club, it is more than likely going to be a long old afternoon.

Still, if we score two goals, it’s papa John’s for supper.

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM

From every single piece of evidence I have ever seen, I do not believe AP capable of changing how Newcastle play. For instance, when at 70 mins, if result isn’t going your way, put every sub on you have available (sir bobby style) change shape and pace and go for it. Not at 70 mins, take off your key player, and replace with slightly inferior like-for-like player and hope stuff sorts itself out (it wont). This is my major criticism of AP, I don’t think he is a bad manager, but he certainly isn’t a good one either. He’s just… AP

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM

I had a lovely goats cheese pizza with balsamic drizzle from papa John’s once. Oh aye, I’m sophisticated for a wallsend lad.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Laurent…Talking solely about the Sunderland game, which Pardew is, I think it’s a fair enough assessment that around their area we missed a decisive move / pass.

Ernest…I get the feeling Papa Johns wont be expecting a busy trade tomorrow!

IITianToon…Debuchy will need to be at his best, that is for sure. I wonder when MBiwa will be re-introduced?!?

G…Your last line sums it up best for me. Neither great, nor terrible.

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM

I used to get stick off my pals at the match when we finished fifth.
    I used to complain we had no style of play movement we just relied on defending and counter attack, a magic moment of skill off a player to win the game. On the odd occasion the team would click and look a decent side but not very often.
    I used to listen to talk sport for away matches and sometimes the post match analysis and most of the time john Anderson would say
    “We didn’t play well but took the points again”

I hold no hope in Pardew changing style because I don’t think anythings really changed since his first full season.
    All our games except a handful could easily have went either way, 1 0 2 1 etc. The tactic is nearly always the same we look good against top opposition as we contain them and don’t let them play.
    But against weaker opposition and at home we sit back and teams can’t believe their luck. Because he’s so defensive minded even when he tries to attack he can’t because he’s still thinking of defence so we attack half hearted.

It was about two years we didn’t score from a corner yet Cabaye took most of them he couldn’t even think of changing him.

I reckon the players love him because he’s a mate not a gaffer..

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Ibiza
    What I meant is then and now wasn’t much different I still can’t go lol..

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Is ‘too much emotion’ the new ‘we wuz tired’? Except trying to take the exuse from a whole new angle in the hope that nobody would notice?

He’s full of it.

If that is too much emotion then I don’t want to see us when we’re lacking. Or does that come to us anyway after 45 minutes?

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM

“I reckon the players love him because he’s a mate not a gaffer..”

I reckon the players love him because he’s a soft touch. A real manager would have seen how softly they played against the unwashed, not only thrown the book at them, hairdryered them, planted one or two of the prima donas, then fined and transfer listed the ones he couldn’t be bothered to send to the reseves. That’s how a football manager should act (maybe without the actual violence, just the implication), none of this nicey nicey where’s your wifey Pardew style.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Ibiza

If we score two tomorrow, I’m going to buy 7 pizzas. I’m getting my moneys worth!

• Ibizatoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Rebecca…Oh right, in that case, not so selfish! 🙂

After reading your post @15, it’s probably worked out best that you only recently started posting…I would have sent you barmy!

So, honestly, what chance do you think there is of Ashley hiring the sort of manager you’d like? The follow up question is, how long do you think that manager would put up with Ashley?

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Nicey Nicey where’s your wifey?

I’ve no idea what you’re on about, but I likes it.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Laurent…Yeah, the too much emotion comment really is a load of tosh. Certainly no emotion for the derby as far as I am concerned.

Ernest…Absolutely…best take advantage of the deal when we can!

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM

ErnestHemingway, you claim to be from Wallsend. If you were from Wallsend you would know Marbells is where you get your Pizza. Besides, Wallsend is a big place, but they certainly don’t deliver where I live (Right next to the little Asda on Hadrian Road).

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM

If pardew asked where my wife was I would look him firmly in the mince pies and tell him to back off, she belongs to me.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Haha marbells is amazing. They do a pizza called mixed shot, it’s good!

I’m from wallsend but moved to Northumberland last summer. I used to live next to where the old police station in wallsend was. I could see marbells from my window. There ain’t much I don’t know about wallsend takeaways!

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Used to get in the Anson regular.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM

And use that asda on a daily basis

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Aye, theres a fair few round here, somehow finding the space to wedge themselves between the busy shopping area consisting entirely of pawnbrokers, bookies and charity shops. Nice to know we still have some commerce in the form of food.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Ibiza, it was dreadful to watch last week, again, and that is a major flaw with Pardew. We look clueless in the final third even in our ‘better’ patches of play, so I think he’s talking nonsense once again.

If we usually played good football in the final third I may agree, but we don’t, so nothing has changed from the norm. The normality of being inept as an offensive manager.

I knew we’d be beaten, because we don’t create anywhere near enough quality chances in the box and our outside the box shooters (saviours) were out/gone in Cabaye and Remy. No surprise that we couldn’t muster up a goal.

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:47 AM

@27, preferred when it was Netto, better wine deals then. And if you really needed next-to-useless East European washing powder you were in business!

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Ernest me too
    G I’ll hold him you hit him..

I’m an eternal optimist but a realist which is a bitch.
    I don’t reckon Ashley ever will as i said to yesterday it’s all about advertising mid table is perfect Pardew is doing the perfect job.
    Ashley doesn’t have to spend much keep us miserable in the papers constantly kicking off..
    Bad news is better than good news to him because SD are all over whatever report on NUFC comes out and it doesn’t reflect on them at all.

So it’s never going to happen and if it did the candidate would walk out during the interview!

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:47 AM

The high streets shocking now, aint it. Depressing. The tattoo shop next to where woolies used to be sells drugs. Pretty much sums the High street up.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Last week was an embarrassment to witness.

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Ibiza
    @31

• anthc

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM

After the derby alot of the players were shi*e. Perfect opportunity to bin taylor, santon and shola. Lets see if pardumb has the testicular. Also still concerned about debuchy with his best pal gone. Happy to write this game off to see what other players can do. Finally rijkaard? With the exception of barca hes been sacked everywhere else even the saudi team which doesn’t sound good to me. Don’t want another manager for the sake of ousting pardew but in an ideal world hiddink would be canny.

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I had heard that rumour about the tattoo shop, apparently though if you shop around the rest of the high street has much better value. Anyway, lets get back to the football, does anybody out there have any evidence that AP can / will change shape / tactic / formation during a match? From what I have seen he will stick 11 bods on the pitch with a game plan (presumably one which insists that we let the other team dominate, and perhaps score). In the second half our team will come out and do what they were supposed to do in the first half, but only for 15 minutes, then we will roll over and wait for the Champions League clubs to sign our players. AP, tactical genius.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Laurent…I think the players looked as bad as they ever have against Sunderland. Far worse than normal, but that’s just my view on things.

Pardew certainly is defensive minded, would never try and argue otherwise, I do however think there had been an attempt to try and play a better style this season…although it certainly has been lacking once we reached the final 3rd. But still, for me, it was a work in progress.

These recent mutterings certainly haven’t filled me with much confidence that will be continuing though.

Rebecca…That’s fair enough and probably why I am as patient as I am with Pardew.

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:58 AM

G
    Pardews tactical genius is to bring a left back on with a left foot who should have started most games because we have no width from our wide players.

When Pardew looks scared in a interview it’s because he’s dreading the day someone says ” so Alan how did you con all these people you knew what you were doing?”

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Ibiza
    I just don’t think he’s capable, I ain’t going to hate him for it he can’t change it so it’s not his fault.
    Ashley’s like a owner with a sick dog he can’t bring to have put down.

• G

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM

” so Alan how did you con all these people you knew what you were doing?”

Unfortunately for us fans, he doesn’t have to con many, just one. A fat on with the cash, and no inclination to spend it.