Mourinho – Pardew One Of Premier League’s Best Managers

The TV cameras showed Jose Mourinho and Alan Pardew embracing each other – like long-lost brothers – before they walked out of the tunnel together chatting away excitedly – and it seems it’s a case of a mutual admiration society two.

alan pardew

Alan Pardew – one of England’s best managers

Before the game, Alan Pardew had said  the Premier League was lucky to have Jose among its ranks again, and that most weeks he was working his magic from the dugout.

And maybe when he saw that, Jose had to say something nice about the Newcastle manager, who was almost fired last year at this time:

“He put himself at that level. He’s one of the best managers in the Premier League.” “Alan lives the game with emotion. His teams reflect a guy who is enthusiastic.”

“They are teams who always fight to the end. Alan is that kind of emotional guy. I have no problem with that.”

One thing Alan is not good at – well at least at Newcastle – is his record against Sunderland, and he’s the first manager in 91 years to suffer three successive defeats against the Black Cats

And Hull beat Sunderland 2-0 at the Stadium of Light today, after hammering us 3-0 last Saturday at home. 🙁

And Alan’s cup record in not too impressive either on Tyneside, and in five FA Cup ties at Newcastle, he’s lost four and won one.

Maybe Jose was just being kind?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• manxpie

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:08 AM

manxpie // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM

daztoon how can you have a system without wide players!!?

and i might be being extremely thick and even more extremely stupid but i’m pretty sure we can have a very good squad of players if that squad was made up of 17 players!!
    but if we had 22 great players we’d be even better so really don’t see your point but again i’m the stupid one hey!!??

291manxpie // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM

laurent okey tell me the players we’ve got that create them chances then?

• Toon Tang

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM

hahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

that is all

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Pardew loves Jose, so he’s just being polite to his number one fan.

Pardew isn’t very well liked among other managers, so this is rather misleading.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM

@ jimmy

If you seriously think we were playing better than Everton when we had Cabaye you need your eyes tested m8 .

• manxpie

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:12 AM

well i think this will upset many
    but thats another respected person praising him!!

so all you pardew haters how about you make it known to the boss and the players that aren’t playing at there best!!

• Toon Tang

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:13 AM

sorry, just read the headline again, so i will add

hahahaaaHHHAAAhahahahahaHAHAHAHMU

• Mister Tuff

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Mourinho has been telly porkies for the last few weeks -saying things like they are not contenders for the league -when we all know they are. I suppose another porkie pie will do no harm.
    The down side of his statement about Percy will be that it will embolden the Pro Percy Brigade also known as the Legion of Dishonour and recently known as the Jam Tomorrow Brigade and they will now break cover and appear on the blog in force for a quick crow.

• daztoon

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM

manxpie

I said we play a system that uses wingers not wide players there`s a difference and its you who`s always on about we have no wingers.

So like i said why play a system that uses them.

I see your back on yer high horse so its pretty pointless debating again.

My mistake but i learn quickly!.

Pardew must be writing Mourinho post match comments now.” Pardews team fight to the end “.

Did he not watch the Swansea,,Scum twice. We surrendered 5 mins in.

• GeordieRob

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:36 AM

A lot of hate going around tonight…

As much as I love the Toon, even with our strongest possible team out I’m not sure I would have one of our players in favour of a Chelsea player. Upsets happen to be sure but over a season, it counts.

Pards isn’t a world beater and I’d take any manager that was. However, the lack of investment is getting so obvious that no manager could deliver on that. I’ve held on to the promise that Ashley has a longer term vision but he’s finally lost me. We’re not developing and blooding youth (unless absolutely necessary), we’re not buying players, our backroom staff are poor and Pardew has to be the lone voice to the media and explain the mess. He is the face of this regime, but Ashley is the root of the problem.

I didn’t see myself saying this, but it’s time for change…

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Tis quite funny that headline!
    I shall take that with a pinch of salt, managers elite bigging each other up.

• Schwefelberg

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:39 AM

It’s the way you say polite things about some engagement ring on a hand you get shown. You know it’s a glass fake.

• Shadow_Shearer

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM

is this the same Pardew who played Santon on central midfield today?? Also Sammy ameobi over Marveaux, and MYM in the right back position once again when clearly he’s stated hes a central player.

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM

I would not expect Mourinho to say anything negative about his so called friend on national media, especially after an 3-0 victory.

Despite the fact I believe Pardew is getting a raw deal from Ashley, it seems to me that he has done as much as his abilities allow and needs to move on.

My main worries about Pardew’s management is his inability to give the kids a chance to improve at this level and playing what seems to be favourites.

Why is one of our most skilful players in Marveaux not been played regularly? Why is M’Biwa continually on the bench and when brought on, played out of position?

His tactics remain a mystery to me. Where is our attacking policy in the team? Why do we continually rely on the counter-attack when clearly, our defence is sub standard?

I am sure he will point to the likes of missing players like Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Remy, Gouffran etc but the game nowadays is a squad game and rotation policy should have been instigated seasons ago.

In my opinion, we need a total overhaul as a club. Obviously, a quality DOF should be appointed. How about Guus Hiddink in the role with Van Gaal as manager. We should be aiming high and if Ashley is prepared to change his ways, these are the type of men to take us forward.

Van Gaal has publicly admitted to wanting to manage in England for some time now.

On the playing side, we need mass changes which is going to involve a lot of money. We already have the promise of the SKY windfall at the end of the season, the Cabaye money, and two seasons of Wonga money as u appears we haven’t spent any of that this year.

Firstly, outgoings.

We know Gosling and Shola are out of contract and will go. Obertan, Marveaux and possibly Cisse seem surplus to requirements and could fetch between 10 and 15 million pounds between them

Do we really need 4 left backs? If an Italian team comes in for Santon, sell him too as long as we get 10 million for him.

HBA flatters to deceive and has a year on his contract left. He is 27 and in my opinion, beyond adapting to the PL style of team play. If we could get 8 million for him, I would sell him.

We know Remy isn’t coming back after the summer so he will need replacing and the jury is still out on De Jong.

I would also sell Steven Taylor and if Norwich are willing to shell out 6 million quid, grab it.

That would be a fair old whack of money available to sign new hungry young players with a smattering of players with experience.

So, what do we need?

I am not convinced with Elliott however, he could be a reasonable 3rd option. Readings McCarthy would be a good cheap choice as back up to Krul.

We have only one RB and could use a quality young back up. Tavernier may come through in time but I would go for Trippier from Burnley as back up to Debuchy.

Assuming Colo, M’Biwa and Williamson stay, I wouldn’t mind young Harry McGuire from Sheffield United as a 4th choice CH.

Haidara and Dummett could fight it out for LB with Raylor as a further option.

Midfield creativity is down so we MUST sign Cabella and Grenier, no matter what the cost. I would also add Tom Ince on a free as I don’t see him staying at Palace once his contract on loan expires and he would be free.

Up front, we know Ameobi and Remy wont be here next season and depending on what Cisse and De Jong do over the next 13 games, they may be gone too.

Gomis will be free in the summer and even though he is 28, he is knocking the goals in every week for Lyon. If De Jong impresses, then we will probably keep him.

Another reasonable young forward like Rhodes of Blackburn or Ings from Burnley would also be handy.

The kids like Campbell and Armstrong should be loned out to championship clubs at worst for a season and Vuckic and Abeid should be brought back into the squad. Add Bigi and Sammy and we have a reasonably young squad.

Finally, a whole host of friendlies in pre season to get these incomers up to speed.

Apologies for the long post but that is what is needed for us to progress quickly and avoid a disaster next season.

Of course, it all depends on ASHLEY

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Can’t see how Pardew is defendable to be honest considering how complicit he is with all things that seem to occur. He must be, or he would have walked.
    To that end it could be argued that, by default of his own actions he is in fact, as bad as Ashley.

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM

UNCERTAIN

I think iot might be more of a case that if he went against Ashley publicly, he would be on the dole queue faster than you can say jack robinson.

• Shadow_Shearer

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM

If Pardew had walked out at the same time kinnear had, he would have walked out with his head held high. A massive improvement from last season, 8th place with no imveatment, decent football bein played from time to time, ppl would understand he walked cause ashley was messing him around. And I’m confident he would have found another job. The longer he stays the harder it’s gonna get for him

• daztoon

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I think the clue is in the first line when he said “he put himself at that level”.
    Last season we had to wait on Swansea beating Wigan to save Pardew’s bacon. As we waved the white flag that many times you thought it was an advert for Persil.

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Ex pat

Aye, so he’s happy to conform and be complicit. That to me mate sounds even worse

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Just beaten 3-0 and he smirks in his interview!
    Wouldn’t trust him with anybody’s!

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM

UNMCERTAIN

How long has he got left on his contract? 6 maybe 7 years?

That’s one hell of a payout if he is sacked plus he may never get a bigger job as NUFC again.

I can see why he is not walking and it is not about self respect, but like most things involving our club, it is about money

• GeordieRob

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Expat,

I agree with most of what you’ve said but I still support Pardew much more than the regime. I have no problem with us playing counter attacking football because the few times we’ve played a high line in the last few years, we’ve been annihilated.

As far as the development squad, you could look to the Southampton model. It’s not just that they have a good manager, it’s that Cortese must have backed their development. You can see that they are willing to accept that the younger players are going to make mistakes that will cost points, but that they’ll be better long term as a result of getting first team starts. I don’t agree with our policy of “old enough if good enough”.

• jimmysmith

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:00 AM

“Just as well”, prior to the injuries and the loss of Cabaye. But yeah, Martinez has had Everton playing well all season, no argument.

• Shadow_Shearer

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:02 AM

U can understand Pardew is a committed married man, got given an 8 year contract and probably went out and bought and new house on mortgage. It’s not easy for him to walk. But surely he can challenge ashley or publicly accuse him for being a slave driver. He can’t get fired for that, and I’m sure ashley won’t want to be taken to court like keegan did. Especially to compensate an 8 year contract. Pardew will have enough money to retire on.

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Geordie

some excellent points, especially following the Southampton model although I seem to remember Ashley was more interested in the Arsenal model and I fail to see any resemblance in that.

I said that I sympathised with Pardew but only to a certain extent. If the club wants to move forward, we need a total overhaul or else Ashley will be running a cut price club next season, fighting relegation.

Is he prepared to speculate to accumulate? I somehow doubt it but I am ever hopeful he has NOW learned the error of his ways especially as he can improve the management structure and playing staff with the available cash in the summer.

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:09 AM

SHADOW

It is all about self ego as well. No maager wants a sacking on his CV although Pardew has a few already.

I seemed to remember Alardyce bought 4 million pound villa in Spain from his payout

• GeordieRob

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Expat,

I think it’s too far gone now. I had some faith that Ashley wanted a bright future for NUFC, but he’s just not interested. The Arsenal model is acceptable too, but it involves bringing though younger players. Serge Gnabry surely isn’t good enough to be in their best 11, but he’s been getting starts and has the confidence to win games. Why? Because, Wenger knows that even if he loses, he’ll still have a job tomorrow and that the kid will play better next year for the minutes.

The problem with Arsenal is that they’re just as likely to sell Gnabry once he’s playing well as they are of winning anything.

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Shadow
    I agree mate, which unfortunately makes it all the more confusing!
    Yeah, he could say “I’m the only manager in the league working under these transfer restrictions”.
    He’s only stating a truth after all.
    People would certainly think more of him.

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM

GEORDIE

Then more reason for Ashley to sell the club

• GeordieRob

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:15 AM

I guess my point is that having the confidence of the board isn’t just financial backing or an 8 year contract. It’s what you’re prepared to do with that contract and the backing that counts.

If I could back one system, it would be Dortmund. Fantastic explosive football, great coaching and youth development all within a reasonable budget. Can’t see it happening here though.

• expatmag

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM

UNCERTAIN

He doesn’t need to say that. Everyone lnows and sympathises with him but that is the pena\ty for working for a despot.

However, there is more to it all than just that.

• GeordieRob

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Expat…

Agreed.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Whose was that manager again -just cannot recall his name at the moment. He’s got silver hair, is a millionaire, married relatively recently to a model, went shagging hooers when his previous wife was dying -then got a super injunction to hide the story.Drives Ferraris. Is known in the PL not for his footballing exploits but his shagging exploits. Now then just cannot remember his name -it may come to me.

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I don’t sympathize with him coz he hasn’t said it, even though we all know it, it just compounds the issue. You would see him gaining support from all areas coming out the woodwork which in turn might encourage Ashley to do something!
    Just a thought.

• Uncertain Toon

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Mister Tuff,
    HaHa

• Belfast

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Heard from a little birdie that Pards lives in a white motor home.

Came with the job apparently.

• Belfast

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Does he wear those dodgy looking glasses mister tiff ?

Ya know them ones that make you look like a thunderbird.

• GeordieRob

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Tuff,

Could be Sven?

In all seriousness, SBR – rest his soul – is dead. That type doesn’t exist any more. If we had a shag-nasty manager that took coke and hookers and called other managers all sorts of names – and won the league, I couldn’t give a shyte!

• Mister Tuff

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Belfast -yes he does -dark rimmed specs -that’s him.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Geordie Rob — however as we will not win the league any time soon we’ll not be able to give such a manger a “bye” on his extra curricular activities.

• lesh

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Catchy gonna argue Mourinho’s view with Mourinho then?