The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wednesday Is Now A Massive Night At St. James’ Park

9:52 am, Sunday, February 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 191 Comments

Local lad Steven Taylor was impressed with the Chelsea side yesterday, and Newcastle were unable to make a game out of it, after Eden Hazard scored two wonderful goals in the first 34 minutes, and basically the game was over, and then in the second half substitute Yanga-Mbiwa committed a ridiculous foul on Eto’o while a corner was being cleared by our defense, and Eden Hazed easily scored from the spot for his hat-trick – and was the outstanding player on the field yesterday.

Rangers v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Steven Taylor – Chelsea oozed class

This is what the 28 year-old center-back, who made his debut for Newcastle back in 2004, when the great Bobby Robson was managing the club, had to say after the game:

“It was obviously difficult for us. We started off pretty well, the lads dug in at times when it was difficult but when you give them opportunities like we did, with the quality that they have it’s always going to be difficult.”

“I think all their players have star quality even the players on their bench. They are always going to be difficult to play against.”

“For us today I thought we dealt with pretty much everything in the first half except for the two goals that we gave away, but we created some really good chances before their second goal, and we could have gone level with Moussa’s chance.

“For us we had three great chances there and on another day they could have gone in.”  “We’ve just got to keep building. “Wednesday is a massive night at St James’ Park and for us hopefully we can get three points if we take the game to Tottenham and attack.”

Things are at a low ebb right now at Newcastle, after we have lost five of the last seven league games, and we need to take something out of the home game against Tottenham on Wednesday night.

But we will need to score some goals to do that, and in our last three home games in the league, we’ve lost them all and failed to score.

We need to change that on Wednesday night, but the lads may have to do that in front of  only an average crowd, with a number of Newcastle fans disillusioned at the moment, mainly due to the untimely departure of Yohan Cabaye and the three thrashings at the hands of local enemy Sunderland.

And finally,  Wes Brown managed to get himself sent off  after only 4 minutes in yesterday’s home game against Hull City, for the third time this season, and Hull won 2-0.

Pity he couldn’t have got himself sent off last Saturday. :(

And with Swansea, Crystal Palace and West Ham all winning, Sunderland remain 4th bottom of the league and only one point from the relegation zone.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Steven Taylor

191 responses so far ↓

• 1 spitfire_ // Feb 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM

8 days ago was also a massive day for Newcastle but we all remember what happen that day.

• 2 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

every game at home is massive

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I didn’t vote for MOTM this time around!

…it is not like it is all bad, but we were never going to get a goal with that setup and as soon as Chelsea punished us we were done for!

Most players frankly looked questionable – the subs as well. Is it the players or the system?

We should have made adjustments before half time. There is actually alot I simply don’t get about the way one of the PL best managers have us play – but that will be another day.

• 4 toon kk // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Prepare for us slipping down the table, with key players out and not replacing Cabaye we’re simply not good enough.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I am not sure I will be watching more games this season; at least not going to make time for it :(

…if I am home and have nothing else to do I might just tune in. It is a bit sad it has come to this…

• 6 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Re post from last..

So we can beat anybody at home, really that’s not what I’ve witnessed this year.
    We struggle more at home than away because we don’t know how to attack the opposition, we can’t create openings through good passing, we don’t get any width unless debuch? gets forward. The only time we have more than one in the box is for corners, which we are still terrible with.

Anyone tell me how Santon did in midfield yesterday.
    I’m not a great fan of his and don’t think he’s a winger or left back, he’s far to lazy to be a defender and if we’re going to push him forward he has a lot to do.

• 7 Himanshu Dhingra // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

out of last 6 PL games, We have failed to score in 5 games.

Forget about wins. Where is our next gaol coming from?

• 8 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I didn’t realise Pardew and Jose are lovers!

They must be for Jose to spout such tripe, either that or he thinks the other managers are worse than Pardew!

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM

We can beat anyone at home, results have proved that. What they also prove is our ability to lose to anyone at home as well.

• 10 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Lilon

Your right, Pardews management style is based on luck not judgement.

Santon anyone?
    Was he lost in CM
    Did he look comfortable?

• 11 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Don’t we have a better away record this year?

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Yeah it is like rolling dice ;)

• 13 Himanshu Dhingra // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Rebeca

Looked good! Was my MOTM.

• 14 toon kk // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I can’t see where our next win will come, its a case of I wonder what we’ll get beat by.
    Great 5 year plan! !!!!!!!!

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Rebecca,
    I have commented a few times on Santon’s game yesterday. For me, he wasn’t great. He was at fault for the first goal, allowing Hazard to run past him, and not busting a gut to get with him. He played a couple of decent passes, but in the main he looked like what he is, a professional player out of position. That is to say, he is always going to be capable of doing the basics, pass, tackle, etc but he didn’t know the role and struggled to make an impact.

Tough on a guy who is low on confidence and out of form in his proper position to be played in an unfamiliar role against a top side.

• 16 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Hmm
    Saw the starting 11 and thought the game would pass him by.

But I’m safe in assuming we were completely ineffective against Chelsea, playing our brand of contains football.

I’d pay good money to watch Pardew coach the man city players for a coupler weeks, it would be numerous to say the least.

• 17 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM

not good reading

13th best at home

• 18 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM

sorry 11th

• 19 bishopblaize // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Good Day everybody, it’s now time for positiveness in our support.

Look at the fans @ Palace, Hull & West Ham yesterday .. They got their results by being nice!

Some of the attitude on here isn’t very sportsmanship.

We’ve thirteen games to go so make em the good times please.

I really hope the people that are really so bitter about life are not living in the North East (that would explain it)

Geordies are passionate people .. Don’t ever take that away

As for next match let’s smash the cockney yids … Like previous posts It’s a Home Game and we do have the advantage :) us

• 20 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Rebbecca
    Santon was ok yesterday,fell asleep with the 1st goal,played a great through ball to put Moussa through and got better as the game went on.It is the 1st time he has played in that position.Give the dude a chance.

• 21 toon kk // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

JOKE CLUB!

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Rebbeca…I guess it depends on who you are asking mate ;)

…your last question should probably have been asked before the Santon question!

• 23 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Toon
    People miss read the fine print it’s a “5min plan”

Lilon
    That’s my biggest problem with Santon, he never busts a gut to get back in position. Pardew whines about Benny Santon is just as bad is meant to be a defender and nothing’s said.

I’m not sure about Santon, I don’t think I’ve ever tsar him look completely comfortable right or left side.

What’s Mbiwa done not to get a sniff, heard he came on a RB and had a mare.. Can anyone tell me how that lad helped keep three clean sheets in a row against Chelsea Citeh and Spurs and gets dropped first for co co the clown then the calamity Steven Taylor.

Steven Taylor has more chance of a oscar than a England cap, I’m always gutted and embarrassed when he’s in the side.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Rebecca,
    Mbiwa had a poor game when came on, and his foul for the penalty was very Taylor-esque. I would prefer him to play ahead of Taylor, but for some reason Pardew doesn’t see it that way. He gave in to Ba’s demands to go up top, has he given in to Taylors threats he will leave if he doesn’t get games? Pure conspiracy and speculation with out an ounce of fact, just a thought.

Santon is a tough one, I think the lad is very low on confidence at the minute. I’d like to see Haidara given a run personally.

• 25 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM

mojo

what did he do that was good,

from what i can remember, chelsea players just ran past him,

sky had him on the wing
    Santon
    Played well on the flank.
    0 5.0 6

hmmm

• 26 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Is it me or not long after MYM signed he gave an interview and called us a “Stepping Stone” club?,can anyone else remember that?

• 27 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Catchy
    what did he do that was good,

Set Moussa away with a perfect through ball which he should have buried,worked hard,never gave the ball away much.

from what i can remember, chelsea players just ran past him,

That was for the 1st goal,after that he did well,apart from the 1st goal can you tell me any other mistakes he made?

• 28 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM

mojo

looking at most of our players under pardew, not many would move to a bigger club

• 29 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM

mojo

in the roll he was in, his job was to seek the ball and stop players getting past him, other than the pass to sissoko, all he did was run,

• 30 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Mojo
    He have the stepping stone interview about 6 months before joining
    Tbf think that’s why most join us!

• 31 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Is it just my natural suspicious nature or are we playing players who we want rid of before bringing the replacements into the team.
    It’s as if were purposely holding players back.

• 32 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

It’s been obvious since day 1 Pardew doesn’t trust players except his chosen 11

• 33 Harley // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

We can beat spurs on Wednesday.

I watched the match yesterday and at times Chelsea were sublime. We didn’t get played off the park and had quite a few chances ourselves.

Chelsea are the best team in the premiership on current form and many peoples favourites to win the league. Plus no team has ever won there under mourinhio.

Spurs aren’t in Chelsea’s league and are not great away from home. We can do the double over them and lift some of this god damn gloom that’s hanging over everyone!!!!

• 34 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

There was a time when Ashley did give interviews. This is what he said after the club was relegated. “It has been catastrophic for everybody. I’ve lost my money and I’ve made terrible decisions. Now I want to sell it as soon as I can.”

Asked if he regretted buying the club, he said: “Of course I regret it. I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I was just a fan – although a very wealthy fan. But I’m not so wealthy now. I put my money into it and I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short.”

I don’t think any of this has changed. He got his fingers burned, blew his money, and wants it back. Neither do I think he is enjoying this. Sports Direct gets rotten publicity out of its association with Newcastle United, as I’m sure his SD fellow directors tell him.
    So in my view it is pointless berating him for signings he has no intention of making unless the process of getting his money back is threatened. Does anyone still really think what we are seeing now is a badly-executed master plan to get into the Champions League?

In the same interview, he apologized for the mess he’d made. He probably feels a lot less apologetic now.

• 35 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Catchy
    I didn’t ask you what you think he did,i asked you what else did he do wrong then if had such a mare?.

• 36 Ben3arfa // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM

ASHLEY OUT

• 37 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Tads

• 38 Thump // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM

@mojo: I think that was Goofy, mate.

• 39 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Thump
    The Article is titled”Don’t Expect Mapou Yanga Mbiwa to stay at Newcastle long”.

• 40 magpie6699 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Is Goof back for Wednesday? If so, maybe we should try Goof / de Jong up front. As for right back if Debuchy isn’t ok – I don’t know. Santon with Hairdryer on the other side?

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM

It seems Ed had slowed down now with the threads :)

…that’s good!

Does anybody remember how many points we need to be safe…historically!

• 42 Thump // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Ah, sorry mate. I posted that without refreshing. I could have sworn Goofy said something similar, along the lines of testing himself at a higher level, seeing if he can score goals in the prem in order to move on.

• 43 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Bandb
    A friend asked me that yesterday and I don’t even think I’ve heard Ashley’s voice, I believe what your saying. But still I personally have never heard the bloke speak.
    I disagree SD gets bad publicity off NUFC maybe Ashley does but every time NUFC are in the news it’s free advertising, the publicity can’t be that bad as SD is flying! The best they’ve been ever!

• 44 magpie6699 // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

jesper – I have a feeling that the highest points total a team has been relegated with is either 42 or 43. And I think it was West Ham. Was Pardew the manager??

• 45 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

It doesn’t matter how we dress this one up for the remainder of the season – either way it is still just a case of The emperor’s new clothes!

• 46 Harley // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Magpie

It was roeder who got relegated with those points.

• 47 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM

MrMojo

Tbf the lad always stated his intentions

• 48 sparky55 // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM

looking at our remaining fixtures and taking into consideration the way we’re playing at the moment and the obvious effect on morale seeing Cabaye leave the sinking ship… I would say we’d be lucky to average a point a game for the 13 games we have left.

That I think will put us 9th in the table so a raging success as far as Ashley is concerned.

I just hope there is a plan as to who we’re going to recruit in the summer, and I really do hope Pardew starts experimenting now and playing people in their best position so they get used to playing there and are ready for the new season…or is that too hopeful and too forward thinking?

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM

magpie6699….I suppose alot should go wrong from now on until the end of the season…just not that confident at the moment!

…and I wonder how it will affect our ability to sign any players in the summer?

• 50 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Mrmojo
    Having watched sky’s extended highlights, I agree with you on santon. If he learns straightaway from the result of not tracking his man for the first goal and gets a bit of experience there, he could make a very decent midfielder.

To be fair to pardew, I thought we played well and kept going to the end.

Saylor comes in for a load of stick but I thought he and willo were well organised at the back. Unfortunate that saylor has to elbow their lad in the back of the head like. Along with Sammy and Anita, they looked the pick of the bunch.

• 51 bollance // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM

BandB

SD gets woeful advertising? If that was the case it would not be plastered across the stadium and training kit.

Also due to the stadium name change SD was in the news for a few months leading up to Xmas. An ingenious way to launch a website. Free publicity albeit at our expense.

• 52 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Bollance,

It was Oscar Wilde who said; “The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
    Oscar’s inverted witticisms made him rich and powerful enemies. Eventually one of them called him a sodomite, and Oscar issued a private prosecution for criminal libel.
    This earned him publicity he may well have done without. His private life was exposed and he became an overnight hate figure. He lost, and was immediately prosecuted under the criminal law.
    He got two years hard labour, which left him in poor health and impoverished exile. He died within a few years of his release.
    So, to my point. The inventor of the phrase was horribly wrong.

• 53 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM

When we buy a centre forward, we must get one who goes mental at his team mates when he doesn’t get the ball when he should. I love that about suarez. Supermac was the same. I was talking to him at the metro centre a few weeks ago. He never took any prisoners and is still formidable. Good job for me we were agreeing with each other.

• 54 magpie6699 // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Harley – thanks – I knew it was someone connected with us.

• 55 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Tads
    That interview you posted was before he came here,the one i posted was after he joined.””I want to play with the best players and for big clubs, and this is one of the steps”.Are we not a big club?.I know some players join because they see us as a stepping stone but to actually come out and say it after you have just joined is disgusting.

• 56 wolfshead@toon // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

wow im in does anyone else get blocked by a flash download page

• 57 ErnestHemingway // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

BandB

Wilde was bent at a time when it was illegal. Ashley isn’t bent and even if that does come out, he will probably sell lots of pink polo shirts.

Its win win for ashley.

If he can knock out dirt cheap sporting goods, he will continue raking it in.

• 58 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

B&B
    Cheers bud,i call it as i see it,no hidden agendas.By the way,do you still think LDJ is a long streak of pish?lol.

• 59 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Rebbecca,

I haven’t seen any evidence linking the advertising at St James’s to the boom in Sports Direct. SD have killed off most of the competition, and their present market position reflects that.
    It might suit Ashley though for people to argue that he is making a huge killing off the advertising. It makes his dealings with the club look rather shrewder than they have been.
    He bought a pig in a poke and seems stuck with it unless he streamlines it. There’s not much of a gloss you can put on that.

• 60 yo-yo // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

B&B

I believe whilst in Reading Gaol he also said ‘if this is the way her Majesty treats her prisoners then she doesn’t deserve to have any”

Maybe Mr Ashley might reflect on the clubs supporters agreeing with Oscar

• 61 ErnestHemingway // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Ashley has had more bad publicity than justin bieber and he kreps getting richer. Ditto for primark. And mcdonalds. And coca cola. Murders and all sorts. But who cares if they sell stuff that the public want.

I’m a bit of a punk at heart and I dont drink coca cola or eat McDonald’s. But very few people have the courage of their convictions

• 62 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:40 AM

snap ernest

• 63 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Yo-Yo,

It is a while since I heard that. It made me laugh.

Despite his fey image, Oscar was very handy with his mitts and had the stomach for drink of a concrete elephant.

• 64 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM

did you just say that or was it me

• 65 ErnestHemingway // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM

BandB
    Howay man, of course sports direct has benefited hugely from nufc. At home European games, on the digital advertising hoardings, Ashley had http://www.sportsdirect.fr for France or whatever Greece’s website end in. Today England, tommorrow the world.

Advertising works, which is why the biggest companies spend flipping milliovs advertising and pay idiots millions to work in marketing. Sports direct has benefited far too much from our club

• 66 ErnestHemingway // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

John

You though it, I wrote it

• 67 ErnestHemingway // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

*thought it

• 68 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Only just watched MotD and here are my thoughts:
    – twice they showed HBA tricking his way into the box only to have a lame shot. I’ve seen him be selfish a lot in front of goal.
    – BUT, the movement in the box was rubbish. They should be moving so the opponents have to cover those players and the potential shot.
    – very little dynamism up front (apart from HBA) so I’m surprised we didn’t use LDJ’s height more often
    – we can’t compete with the top teams missing Colo, Remy, Goofy, Tiote and Cisse plus not replacing Cabaye and losing Debuchy in the 1st half

So many contradictory views on here. Some say our squad is too thin, others are calling for the likes of Dummett, Haidara and Marv to play.

We’re going to struggle without Cabaye unless we can figure out another style of playing. It’s all well and good doing that for a match or two, but we looked predictable…

• 69 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Mrmojo
    I said that about ldj having only seen him in the flesh for 45 minutes. I saw nothing in sky’s extended highlights to make me change my mind. I did say that this was based on first impressions. If i had to chose now i wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.

Although he needs more time, it seems madness that nufc is taking on loan for a few months someone so rusty and low in confidence. We might just get him firing by the time he’s due to go back. No doubt joe didn’t agree a suitable fee.

• 70 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM

the nail on the head
    ashley bought a pup
    cant make money from it
    or so we are led to believe
    employs idiots and poor staff
    the thought of waking up from a bad dream long since vanished
    he needs removing by any means fair or foul
    dream on the misguided proles

• 71 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Ernest,

I’m not saying in any way it hasn’t. But there are far bigger factors. Newcastle United has not been the making of Sports Direct.
    I do not buy the argument that because he is creaming it in, he is laughing off the stick he gets. Because the argument is used by people who claim he is a demi-God and we are powerless.

I think he will get his money back and get shot of the club. He was in a proper funk towards the end of last season.

And yes, if there was no such thing as bad publicity, why is there a multi-billion pound industry aimed at protecting and improving the public reputation of companies?

• 72 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

B&B
    I wasn’t having a pop bud,that’s your opinion,just thought it was funny.I bet you a tenner in imaginary money he scores his 1st goal v Spurs Wednesday.

• 73 Blofal // Feb 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Rebecca I thought Danton looked lost in CM in the first half but really improved in the second.

Displayed some good composure and technique to get around players that I actually didn’t know he had.

We are OK at LB and I think we haven’t got anything to lose by seeing how he goes for the rest of the season. Maybe then we could push Gouffran up forward where he belongs to link up with Remy and LDJ.

• 74 Blofal // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Oh and Marc just didn’t look like his heart was in it. Wasn’t exactly burning with energy and tenacity as a sub and didn’t track back. He obviously is not happy here.

• 75 Blofal // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM

God damn auto spell. . Makes me look like Kinnear!

• 76 Rotonda heights // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

It’s amazing how Laudrup was only one win away from being in 10th place and Swansea are still in the Europa league!

Wasn’t realistically expecting anything yesterday, it’s the likes of the home losses against foot of the table Sunderland, with a much weaker squad, at home that point to much deeper problems.

• 77 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Newcastle analysis on Goals on Sunday after the break if anyone’s interested.Much better than MOTD’s analysis.

• 78 mag // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

The sight of Pardew crowing about how good Chelsea were, when in fact it was because we were abysmal due to his negative tactics and being not good enough to manage a club of Newcastle Uniteds stature is sickening. Send him back to managing in league division one in front of ten thousand fans the cretin.

• 79 martoon // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM

We are going through a bad patch at the moment for various reasons: injuries, suspensions and selling Cabaye. Has it ever occured to some of you to try supporting the team instead of constantly slagging off players and the manager? Or go and follow plastic teams like Man City or Chelski.

• 80 Rotonda heights // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

TDS

I think it’s too easy to say the slump is all down to cabaye going. he played in 5 losses in 7 before he left. A factor definitely maybe but as i think problems are more deep rooted than that.

• 81 welshgeordie9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Everybody in a good mood or not

• 82 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM

bad patch due to mismanagement of resources plastic fan

• 83 mag // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM

The reason we are where we are is down to the puppet manager and his aversion to success the man is a devout loser as his track record will testify and nothing will change until he goes.

• 84 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Rotonda

There aren’t any deep rooted issues with the playing side! We’re still in 8th place and very few fans predicted anything higher than 8th, while many predicted lower!

Sure, if we’d spent next year’s TV money already, then we might (I stress, might) have challenged the top 6.

Look at our style of play and look at the players who are a goal threat. Our goal threats so far this season have been Remy, Goofy and Cabaye. Opponents know that they are confident of scoring and have the ability to score. Yesterday…who was our top scorer out of that lot??

• 85 Rotonda heights // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Martoon

We all support the team otherwise we wouldn’t be on here on a Sunday morning thinking we know best.

Does that mean we can’t make any comments? Life doesn’t really work that way.

I was not realistically expecting anything yesterday whether we played the usual containing football and try and nick a goal approach or whether we had a go approach, they were always going to be far too good for us either way.

As I say the home loss v Sunderland who have a vastly inferior squad, are languishing at the bottom of the table and were away from home is far more alarming.

• 86 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM

unless you have proof we do not support the team do not cast aspersions to the contrary

• 87 welshgeordie9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Who are you calling a plastic fan

• 88 martoon // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

John nice to see another articulate offering from you!

• 89 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I don’t know why I’m still astounded by the miserable fans on here…

8th would be a good season. Ok, it wouldn’t be the most exciting season, but surely that’s a hell of a lot better than 16th?!

• 90 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM

try living with the unwashed matey

• 91 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Rotonda
    Literally all of your posts are negative,you post about 1 thing and 1 thing only,almost every post is a snidey attack on Pardew,it’s fun watching you on match day when your in your element with your Anti-Pardew agenda with the “Fifa 14 fans”,sliming from one comment to another posting to anyone who will listen to you.It’s disgusting,i watched you yesterday and you were actually trying to suggest Pardew gets a take of transfer deals at one point.You are a disgrace to this football club imo.

• 92 welshgeordie9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM

God you’re a miserable lot moan when we win moan when we lose, we are in 8th place in the league, beaten some top teams, spurs away, man utd away and Chelsea at home, like I said many times before so far it’s been a good season.

Get a grip you lot

• 93 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM

And i’ll add Catchy to that list aswell.

• 94 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

welshgeordie9

Well said. I’d say decent season, rather than good though. I predicted 8th but we’ve also been poor in both cups. It’s a good consolidation season after last year’s mess.

• 95 Rotonda heights // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

TDS

We have lost 6 out of the last 8 and only scored 4 goals.
    say that slowly.

Remy, Goofy and cabaye were all available for half those games.

If we didn’t have the cushion from earlier games, ie against 9 man stoke, that’s relegation form and as mentioned one win would have got Laudrup 10th place today while swansea are still in the europa. small margins of success and failure.

• 96 welshgeordie9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM

89ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I don’t know why I’m still astounded by the miserable fans on here…

Finally somebody with bloody sense

• 97 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM

and stop admonishing true supporters who are sick and tired of this regime
    as others have stated we all support the team i have for more than 50 years so yo just go smoke your pipe

• 98 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

JT
    Was that comment for me?

• 99 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Rotonda

And before that, we had 10 points from 4 games. Sure, this is a bad run of form, but if it’s a deep rooted issue, what has changed?!

Don’t be daft. You saying that our current form is proof of deep rioted issues is just as valid as me saying that our previous form is proof that everything is ok with the club. Both are rubbish.

We’re 3 points behind Man Utd, 8 behind Everton in 5th and 14 clear of the relegation zone!

Get a grip son.

• 100 welshgeordie9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM

95Rotonda heights // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Remy goofy and cabaye might have been available but all of the top teams have lost games with their best players playing it doesn’t mean we are crap

• 101 mag // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Reasons to be cheerful,lost against the Mackems twice Hull, WBA, Swansea, Cardiff City in the third round of the FA cup against inferior opposition which makes four seasons of third round exits under this buffoon and still the deluded defend his shocking record of abject failure.

• 102 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM

TDS…8 surely is better than 16, but the season us not over yet!

…some of us are just a bit worried that is all

• 103 jimmysmith // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I find it disheartening hearing the chants of “get out of our club you fat bastard” ring around away grounds when we visit. It would seem to indicate all is lost. I can’t imagine Ashley showing any real ambition for a club whose travelling fans ritually humiliate him week in week out. Or those fans all of a sudden accepting that Ashley as owner has the right to run it in his own best interest. I just imagine the simmering resentment to continue on both sides. It’s quite depressing and I really wish Ashley would just tire of it all and throw in the towel, it can’t be any fun.

• 104 Rotonda heights // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Hi Mojo bud, how’s it going bud, are you ok bud, are you american bud?

We’ll add short term memory to your low IQ (look it up bud)
    After your hissy fit yesterday you’re not meant to be responding to me remember bud.

I have this image of you being a thick geordie sweating in a maths test. You’re just way too easy bud.

You’ve already embarrassed yourself with the 194 long balls against Sunderland which was widely covered but didn’t make planet Mojo. Ask Ibiza bud.

I think you’ll also find Pardew does get a cut on outgoing transfers so before opening mouth, engage brain (whatever) and do some research and please stop letting your ignorance keep on embarrassing you like this, ok bud?

• 105 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Yeah…abject failure…12th in our first season back in the PL, then an overachieving 5th, then a very poor 16th thanks to injuries, loss of form and bad decisions in the transfer market. Now we’re 8th.

That’s decent.

• 106 ToonDarnSarf // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

jesper

I said in the summer that if we finish bottom half, then Pardew should go. But then we screwed up and sold Cabaye to limit our creativity and goal threat. I still think he should get top 10 with this squad though.

• 107 scout // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

If I had Ashley’s money I’d sleep like a top, few hundred people spouting some abuse haha won’t bother him.

• 108 welshgeordie9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

How the hell you can say its a failure so for example we lost to Cardiff in the cup beat them in league, Cardiff beat man city at home does that make man city a failure didn’t hull beat liverpool didn’t we beat west brom at home, the only bad result was against the mackems

• 109 mag // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM

It’s all about standards and it’s quite obvious some supporters have low standards.

• 110 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Mr Mojo -you posted @91 the following – (in respect of Rotonda )
    “It’s disgusting,i watched you yesterday and you were actually trying to suggest Pardew gets a take of transfer deals at one point.You are a disgrace to this football club imo.”

Do you really stand by this?

• 111 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

@98 an emphatic no

• 112 scout // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Most annoying to read bud lol

• 113 Cantbuyye // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Watched the game on vipbox yesterday, at half time I had to turn the sound off. The commentator kept going about Hazard, oh Hazard is the greatest, Hazards up there with Messi, Suarez, Aguero blah blah blah, Was thinking god man just get on the park and suck him off.

• 114 scout // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Can anyone get me a couple of tickets for Southampton away?

• 115 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Always forget that Dietmar Hamann played for us. He did well in his short spell. I expect us to sign at least 5 players in the summer. We’ll sign Agger, Grenier, Cabella, De Jong and another striker.

• 116 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM

TDS…I would be inclined to agree with you; I guess it all comes down to how he uses what he has got for the remainder of the season?

…the last two games have be a bit worried, but I will accept for now that injuries, suspension and the sale of Cabaye is hurting us – but I won’t accept if that excuse is used for the rest of the season!

• 117 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

*be = we

• 118 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Mr Mojo – I see Rotonda had posted before I posted -did not refresh.
    You will find that managers do get a cut of transfer fees and have done for ages.
    Really you need to get your facts right before slagging off another poster on the basis of flawed knowledge or you could be challenged as knowing nowt about football.
    You’ll find lots of info about this subject when the “dirty Harry” trial was on the go and the other I recall was Ian Holloway who defended getting money from the Charlie Adam sale.

• 119 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I really think that Daniel Agger would be a great player for us. Great ball player. Very good in the air. Fast. Doesn’t boot it away like Willo. We need him.

• 120 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM

is you all buying ashleys sports direct rose tinted specs

• 121 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Kets…Agger is 29, he is on £80k a week an is injury pron (back problems)

…with the amount of money we probably are going to spend do you think this would be a wise pursuit? …if it even was possible!

• 122 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Mister-Tuff
    You are wrong,post me any links that say managers get cuts of transfers on a regular basis,do you think i’m just going to take your word.The “Dirty Harry” trial was because he was accused of getting back handers from transfer deals,why would he be in court defending himself if it was common you mug.

• 123 wolfshead@toon // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

tuff

your 3-0 prediction was spot on like i said tuffers aka mystic meg lol

• 124 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM

We do need some experienced players in the team. Agger has got a good 3/4 years left in him. Wouldn’t be surprised if Man Utd sign Grenier and Cabella. Everyone keeps stealing our targets.

• 125 theartfuldodger // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM

So who exactly at the club would be making a list of ins outs etc over the summer? Making an almighty summer plan.

No Llambias or kinnear..

• 126 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Rotonda
    This is why i think you are a disgrace,your supposed to be a fan right?.Here is a link from our last win v West Ham,you post 1 comment during the game,because it was evident we were going to win you don’t comment ANYTHING else,check the following threads and there is no comment whatsoever from you and Catchy,no “Well done Lads” nothing,then keep checking the threads til you re-appear again.That is exactly why i think your a disgrace,your all over the place posting comments when we lose,you and catchy are nowhere to be seen when we win.

• 127 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

• 128 mag // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

@124 I suppose there’s no chance of anyone stealing our manager then?

• 129 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Kets…just to give you an idea mate ;)

It is not going to happen! Great player though – no doubt about that!

• 130 wolfshead@toon // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM

mojo

dont waste your time rotonda and catchy are like duracell bunnies

• 131 beefman13 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Mr Newcastle taylor, needs a fresh challenge imo, hes a prem player but just , we need to move on from the likes of him, get your wallet out MA.

• 132 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Mr Mojo -I submitted a factual post to assist you in making sure you posted facts -so as not to make yourself look daft.Your response is an angry retort with your obligatory insult hurled in for good measure -calling me a mug.
    Really you should know about this subject yourself but as you request -I’ll post you a link about Holloways money from the Charlie Adam sale.
    I would anticipate your next post would be an apology along the lines of:-
    Duuuuuuuhhhhhh. Uggggggggggggg.Uggggggggg.
    Well a neva new dat. I am sorry Mr Tuff for calling you a mug and being ignorant about football. Duuuuuuuuuuhhh. Uggggggggggg.

• 133 Finnbad The Sailor // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I wasn’t expecting a win yesterday. Especially after Chelsea schooled Man C the previous Monday. Adding to that the absence of Tiote, Colo and Remy (not to mention Goof who’s been my fav. player this season)

So much so I had us down for a 4-0 loss with Hazard to score first… First time I’ve been disappointed more over the scoreline than the loss itself.

• 134 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Wolfshead
    There are bloggers against Pardew that i have no problem with whatsoever but when these 2 spout the kind of sh1t they do and don’t give the team any credit at all when we win it boils my p1ss.

• 135 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Good vs Newton in the Scottish cup, Campbell on the bench

• 136 Ancientcoptic // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I would love to see Adam Campbell & Adam Armstrong come into the side.

Let Sammy Ameobi, Mbiwa and Haidara play out the rest of the season too… at least we would have something to build on next season.

What did we learn yesterday, we lost a game we were certain to lose… at least if the youngsters were playing something productive would have came out of the expected beating… Pardew also would have not looked as bad, as people would acknowledge he was changing things.

There is nothing left to believe in this season…. the players look like they are out of ideas and motivation.

I expect Everton to beat Tottenham, and they will be there for the taking when they visit us, but we will lack that final pass, and shoot from 25 to 40 yards out…

I don’t mind watching the team losing, so long as there is some kind of idea in the pipeline, this stagnation we are currently witnessing is nonsense, and we cannot blame this on the sale of Cabaye, the club should be bigger than one player.

• 137 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Mr Mojo,

It is interesting to read some of the posts on that Cabella link you posted.
    Just three weeks ago, and people hoping for four in and no-one sold.
    Salad days!

• 138 tequilamag // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Mr T, the fact that it has gone on does not mean that all PL managers get a cut of transfers, other than Holloway and Redknapp I can`t find any mention of other managers in the PL getting a similar cut.
    If your going to state Pardew def gets a cut then you should be able to provide some source for that info.

• 139 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If we would’ve sold Cabaye and signed Grenier, Cabella and Demba Ba, we’d would’ve had a great chance of getting 4th place. After a good start, our season is now over. What a waste.

• 140 wolfshead@toon // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM

finn

technically it was 2-0 if it wasnt for mym abhorration still not bad considering chelski are championship contenders regardless of joses mind games i wonder if he learnt that off sir bobby? haha

• 141 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM

wolfshead @123 – well whilst I seemed to get the score right -as did a few others – it did not turn into a cricket score which I feared. Most folk knew we would not get anything out the game – so really whilst folk are upset about being beaten -it did not come as a shock. Next three games are important -if we lose them we could be back into the mix with the crap teams – who potentially (mathematically) reduce the points gap.

• 142 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Salah would’ve been a good coup. Chelsea signed 2 of our targets in the last window.

• 143 Ketsbaia9 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Too be honest, we start really well yesterday. When we concede 1 goal, our confidence drops. Once we concede the first goal, we always seem to lose. It’s very rare that we come back to win games.

• 144 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Mister-Tuff
    I called you a mug because you told me to get my facts right,if i sense an attitude i’ll reply with attitude.brought.Mentioning Harry’s trial contradicted what your post was about.You said managers get cuts of transfers all the time then brought up the Harry trial,he was in court because he was accused of getting money from transfer deals.Although i do accept it might be common at a few clubs after what you posted i still think it’s wrong,and most of the comments on that thread agree.

• 145 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Mr Tuff
    Not sure it’s standard practise that every manager gets a cut think it depends on there contract and who bought a player to the club
    Like I doubt Pardew would of got a cut from say the Andy Carroll deal
    And then the rest if the signings have been through a DOF and scout where as holloway claims he scouted and signed the players himself

Not saying this is the case, Pards may well recieve a fee, but just saying I don’t think it’s nailed on that’s how it works!
    If it is how it works I wonder if that’s why Moyes let Fellaini’s release clause pass, monies owed and all that!

• 146 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Mister-Tuff
    And i apologise for calling you a mug.

• 147 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM

tequila – you will have noted that the managers cut is included within their contracts of employment. We as supporters never get the chance to view these documents as they are obviously private/confidential. Therefore you are asking me to do the impossible. Why don’t people accept that it is quite probable a normal addition to a contract rather than deny it cannot possibly be true.

• 148 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM

BandB
    Our “Salad Day’s” resemble the famous Monty Python sketch.

• 149 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Salad Day’s Monty Python

• 150 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Mr Mojo -accepted. I only pointed out that it arose in the Dirty Harry trial -not that it was the substance of the trial. I note that Ian Holloway says that if he developed a player he should get a return for his input. I don’t really like it -you could get a situation where the finance to the managers own pocket overrides other issues -like keeping the best player at the club.

• 151 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Thanks Mojo

• 152 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Mister-Tuff
    It’s completely wrong,if a manager has a financial stake in a player it’s a massive conflict of interests,if that’s the case managers could favour a player and play him when he’s not in form so he doesn’t de-value and that wouldn’t be best for the team.

• 153 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM

BandB
    No problem bud.

• 154 Jackel001 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM

So pards has came out and said the reason for our recent shi*e form is injuries and its not kinnears fault. Sorry but can someone tell me if i’m wrong here…if we had actually signed players in the past TWO TRANSFER WINDOWS instead of two loan strikers we would habe had cover?

• 155 BandB // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I see it was “directed” by Sam Peckinpah.
    Ours were directed by Seth Pecksniff, who was: “like a signpost, pointing in various directions but never going to any of them.”

• 156 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Rotonda
    Have you not got no smart comments in response?.Where are you?

• 157 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Mrmojo
    No, never thought you were having a pop. But following your comment, i thought it best to clarify for others that my assessment of ldj as a long streak of pish was based solely on first impressions. I was sure to be misrepresented and criticised by others for not giving the lad a chance and writing him off.

I had peter beardsley on you tube this morning, showing my 15 year old son who plays centre forward how it’s done. One touch football in deep positions and mesmerising footwork in the box. I found his left foot pass for linekers second goal against poland as a great example of awareness and the virtues of one touch. Tremendous. Rolls Royce of a player!

• 158 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Lol BandB

• 159 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM

B&B
    Maybe Jabba’s going about it this the wrong way,with his money wouldn’t it be better to try and clone players?,we could have a full midfield of Beardsley’s,a back 4 of Albert’s and a frontline of Shearer’s.

• 160 tequilamag // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Mr T, not saying it`s not possible and if so not all a good thing. The point I was making was there is not a shred of evidence that Pardew has such an agreement. If your not privy to his contract you can`t state he def gets a ct of transfers

• 161 yo-yo // Feb 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Kets

Dream on about us ever signing any player of Salah’s potential when a CL club with bigger ambitions comes knocking.
    Yes Salah at £11m would have been within our range and probably will double his value at Chelski. We have a more bargain basement approach – buy a player for under £10m, ideally under £6m and add £5-10m to their value before they go to a CL level club.

I do totally agree we have missed another opportunity to consolidate at 5-7th by lack of transfer activity but that is not what our owner wants for the club. You are right £20-25m net and we’d be strong enough to compete with the top 6 clubs. Also I reckon the £10-15m rqnge for players would yield even bigger profits for Mash as they will still add £10m + to their value at the Toon.
    We let a certain very promising English goalkeeper go on the cheap too – and have been pretty poor at the lower end of the transfer scale

• 162 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Mrmojo
    Pedro struck the ball with his left foot as well as his right. And its one thing to strike it well its another to find the back of the net. Pedro was a master.
    Can Pedro’s clone be slightly better looking?

• 163 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM

mojo

i never slated santon , far from it, he was put in a new position and did his best

i was getting at the fact that he should not have been put there, my point was sissoko is a more natural player to put in that possition , seeing is it his natural roll, if marv was going to get on as an AMC eventually , why not start with him there?

if you have also noticed, he goes for these wild experiments like trying to attack only against much better teams than us, with bigger squads

why never against the bottom teams?

when debuchy went off, it would have been more natural to move santon to RB, bring on marv and drop sissoko into DMC,

i think it was a total insult to make the most attacking sub in the 84th minut, goslin got on in the 64th minute,, where did that come from???

pardew just taking the piss

goslin is more defensive , so on 64 pardew thought, lets shut up shop, take HBA off, then on 84 brings on an attacking sub for our best DMC, lets go for it

whats the logic in any of that

bet you can not explain it,

• 164 nut meg // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Mr Tuff / Mojo
    I read a article about 20 years ago that said Gerry Francis was getting a cut of transfer fees when he was the manager of QPR….early 90s. can’t remember the details but been going on a long long time.

• 165 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM

if mojo is dead, it was not me, iv been here all day

• 166 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Catchy
    If you want to find out my opinion on you read posts 126&127.This applies to you and Retardo Heights.

• 167 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Catchy
    Gosling is by no means defensive
    He was probably the only midfielder we had actually getting in to the box looking for a chance

HBA Sissoko Marv Anita never really looked to get in the box

• 168 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Catchy
    When was the last time you posted something positive about us?,”well done boy’s”or “good result”?.Do you not know if we do get another manager you are going to become irrelevant so be careful what you wish for.If we do get another manager and Jabba is still in charge,when he fails your going to lose the little bit of credibility you have,if you go on about the new manager like you do Pardew nobody will listen to you.

• 169 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM

For a manager to get a cut of transfer fees would be appalling. It would breed cynicism among the fans and bring the game into too much further disrepute. The scourge of agents is bad enough.

• 170 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

tequila – whilst you are correct in saying that we do not know whether Percy gets a cut of a transfer fee -equally we do not know if he does not. My position would err on the side that all managers do. They are all in the League Managers Association and I think it would be strange if Ian Holloway was the only manager to get these monies -ie it was the only contract in existence which had a clause in it guarenteeing transfer monies.

• 171 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Catchy
    I had Ciaran in the same bracket as you but he’s gone way up in my estimation,because he realised he was focusing his energy on the wrong man,i’ve seen countless people try and explain to you both that if Jabba goes Pardew goes,it’s not a hard concept to accept.You are still unwilling to listen.You’s go missing when we win because you don’t want to give any credit to the team because that would mean you would be praising Pardew and that goes against everything you live for.

• 172 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Everton are giving spurs a torrid time
    Really hope Goofy is fit for when we play them need his energy on the pitch

• 173 Finnbad The Sailor // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Chelsea have a habit of signing a player that their direct competition are looking at.

We’ve seen it twice this season with Willian (spurs) and Salah (Liverpool).

Canny tactic… Admittedly they both look like they’ll feature unlike other stars they’ve bulked their squad up with and left to rot in reserves and bench rather than have opponents have them to use on field.

• 174 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM

nutmeg @ 164 – thanks for that input -illustrates the point admirably. It is clearly not an uncommon practice. As Mojo suggested there could be a financial conflict of interests.
    We could all suggest scenarios where a manager could want rid of a player to earn some cash.

• 175 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Finnbad
    Think Salah was a target for a hell of a lot of teams the lad has built a great reputation the last couple of seasons
    Said in the summer we should raid Basel for him and Schär before the interest stokes up

Not sure if the price tag for zouma was great seeing as St. Ettienne have got for the season and apparently next season too

• 176 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I could only see a manager getting a cut of transfer fees if he was a top talent spotter; someone who could pick up a £ multi million player from non league football or the lower divisions; someone who could make a club millions through his talent spotting alone. That’s not pardew. That’s more graeme carr. It would be appropriate for carr, not least because he’s not in charge of sales. It would be perverse for pardew to get a cut because of the conflict of interest.

• 177 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

tads

my point is gosling is a natural MF player, why start with santon in there if you have natural options, ???

trying santon as a winger yes, go for it, but not DMC,

and come on where has gosling from, out from the cold, marv came out of deep freeze only a week or 2 ago, gosling jumps over marv in the pecking order?

• 178 John Tudor // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM

average backup players led by a thicko

• 179 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM

mojo

im taking that rant was you trying to explain why ??

sounds like you have been clamped,

like the rest of your crew, your only thing you can come back with is slurs,

negativity is your lot backing the same guy making the same mistakes time after time

but please,, id love you to try and explain the logic behind yesterdays starting line up and subs,, there has to be some higher logic that only him jose and you must know

• 180 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM

My opinion on Santon is Pardew thinks he has the technical ability to play higher up the pitch,we have plenty of cover at full back so he put Santon DM,maybe he was thinking of putting Moussa there but if he put Santon there he could use Moussa’s energy higher up the pitch,and Santon is a defender so he would be ok with his defensive responsibilities at DM,he put in a great through ball for Moussa,switched off on the goal and let Hazard run off him but got better as the game went on.I’m not saying this is right it is a plausible theory.Maybe he thought Anita was to lightweight for DM.

• 181 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

mojo

so does this make you a pardew fan and not an NUFC fan

because, you back him threw thick and thin, you back his line ups and his subs

last time i checked, i want what is best for the club

• 182 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Catchy
    Your posts are almost all negative,nothing good to say about the team even when we win.Did you read posts 126&12/7?,why do you always disappear when we win?

• 183 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Catchy
    How can you say last time i checked i want what is best for this club.It’s as plain as day,your not supporting the team,your supporting your own personal agenda.I want what is best for this club,and that is Jabba gone and if Jabba does go,the new owners probably won’t want Pardew and i realise that but it doesn’t stop me wanting that vile scum out of our club.You will still hear me saying positive things about the team when they are deserved,no matter what.

• 184 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

mojo

come on , is that the best logic you could come up with,,

did you take into account that santon has been one our worse player of late, why take a chance and make it worse for the kid,
    oscar willian and hazard ran circles round anita and santon, and it should not have took a genius to figure that would happen,

now you have LDJ up front, where was his supply line, sissoko hmmmm

sound logic there somewhere i guess,

• 185 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Catchy
    I’d imagine he went with Gosling as he’d been getting good reviews from what by all accounts was a very impressive loan spell

Marv came on and showed exactly why he’s not starting or playing imo with the laziest most bone idle sub appearance seen
    The lad is like the new Alan Smith

• 186 Sav // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

The one signing we CAN make now is a new Director of Football or ‘the bloke who does the deals to sign players’. Lets face it, that was never going to be Kinnear. However, this summer is going to be a vital one. It is also going to be compressed with the World Cup meaning very little business is done until it is over. Its always like that. According to Ed, Debuchy will want to leave in the summer and perhaps others, due to lack of ambition shown by the owner. That makes a statement of intent even more urgent.
    Of course, it is typical Mashley strategy to save on DoF wages and wait until the summer to appoint someone. No-one will heave been more delighted to see NUFC bottom of the transfer spenders than the man whose success is built on buying up basket cases and trimming them down to the bone.
    The time to make an appointment and prepare the groundwork is now, not June or July. Knowing the club ‘means business’ may even galvanise a few players right away, knowing that they are playing for places in a rebuilt side next season. The appointee should be someone who can work with Pardew, not someone to act as a buffer zone and undermine an existing structure. Whether it is Llambias, Mort or one of the better known experienced operators, some of whom are currently unemployed, makes little difference. The point is, it should be NOW.

• 187 catchy in norway // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

mojo

we dont play as a team,

football is a team game, and we rely on individuals

west ham was a shit game, we won 3-1 but that did not tell the story, maybe if i only looked at results and tables

• 188 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Do you guys think Pardew is safe as long as we maintain our PL status?

…or is that not enough for him? Ashley doesn’t seem to speculate in either

a) the money you get from the position you finish

b) revenue

*He only seems to be interested in the TV-money. Can it really be that simple? And can we keep on attracting players like this?

• 189 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Catchy

So you slag him off for not trying anything different and when he does you slag him off.I will repeat apart from the mistake for the 1st goal what else did he do wrong?.After seeing the match highlights a lot of bloggers opinions on Santon are that he started slow but got better.And Oscar,Willian and Hazard ran circles round Man City Monday,what does that prove?

“The point was putting Gosling on didn’t shut up shop he never stopped going forward”
    What are you getting at?,he’s too defensive most of the time according to you,now he’s too attacking?,get a f@cking grip will you.

• 190 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Sav
    Fully agree mate sad that Ashley has decided not replace the DOF this season

• 191 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Would Holloway’s contract require him to compensate the club every time he loses money on a dud purchase? Why not?

previous post: Newcastle Captain – We Can Beat Anybody At Home