The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Must Keep This Striker In Summer

2:52 pm, Monday, February 10th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

We’re not exactly sure what’s happened to Papiss Cisse this season, other than Newcastle brought in Loic Remy on loan from QPR, and he’s the number one striker this season, and that has restricted the playing time of Papiss to just 18 appearances and three goals.

papiss cisse - I just scored fulham

Papiss Cisse – after scoring late winner against Fulham last season

But in the summer, Newcastle will definitely lose Loic to a bigger and more ambitious club than Newcastle, and it’s almost certain that this will be Shola Ameobi’s final season for Newcastle, after he made his debut under the great Sir Bobby Robson way back in 2000.

In fact of the four strikers Newcastle have in their ranks at the moment – Papiss, Loic Remy, Shola Ameobi and on-loan Luuk de Jong – it’s possible that all four could be gone come September.

But great players don’t become mediocre overnight, and we still think Papiss Cisse has a future at the club, and we think it would be a mistake to sell him this summer.

For one thing we’ll lose Loic and Shola, and it will be difficult enough to bring in replacements, especially if Luuk de Jong doesn’t make the grade this season.

So we’d love to see Papiss Cisse stay on Tyneside, and don’t forget that when he joined us a short two years ago – he hit 13 goals in his first 14 league games, and all he’s lacking at the moment is confidence, and it';s hard when you only get sub appearances to score some goals.

Juts ask Luuk de Jong that when he made 14 short appearances for Borussia Monchengladbach this season and didn’t score a goal.

And Cisse’s record at Newcastle is still decent with 29 goals scored in 79 total appearances for the number 9.

Of course, it often seems that Newcastle are not in command of their own destiny these, days because if a club – any club – comes in with a £10M offer for Papiss in the summer – he will be gone.

That’s Mike Ashley’s strategy, to sell our top players at sky-high prices,  and we all saw how unthinking the owner can be, when he allowed  Yohan Cabaye to leave in January, because PSG came in with a suitable offer that Newcastle took – without even thinking of the possible consequences for this season.

Papiss is made to score goals,  and at least in our opinion it would be a mistake to let the Senegal striker leave this summer.

What do you think?

Note – I just watched the Beatles celebration show on CBS last night – of the 50th anniversary of their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show way back in 1964  – and it shows you just how great the Beatles were – they were simply phenomenal – and every Beatles fan must see this show – you will not be disappointed.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Loic Remy · Luuk de Jong · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League · Shola Ameobi · Transfer News and Rumours

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I feared the picture was going to be shola

• 2 Markaccus // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Daz

Rum?

Are tou saying Captain Morgan should take over NUFC?
    No theres a replacement even I cant refuse :D

• 3 70TWO // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Strike a light!

• 4 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Daztoon
    Wtf is your question?

• 5 daztoon // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Markaccus

I could well be,but alas i think Mojo beat us to it while he was digging that hole and found our treasure.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM

mojo

I’ll apologise if i caused offense, just don’t think you are getting the point i am trying to make from your response.

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM

If he is not going to play why keep him in the summer?

• 8 Toon Tang // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM

(I think ed waits for me to start writing and then puts out a new story)

catchy, concise as ever, just a few nice signings in the window would keep us shtum eh, were not asking for miracles. I was just wondering how far most would go for a good owner to come in and spend a few quid. Wouldn’t have to be a bank breaker, just a little ambition.

ps ‘Newcastle Untied’ is probably a very good way of describing us at the moment eh hahaa

• 9 daztoon // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM

166daztoon // Feb 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Mojo

Forget it you,your either a WUM or not very bright.

But I’ll try to simplify it for you

If one loss ment Pardew got sacked but the team won all of our remaining games.

Or we Won and Pardew kept his job but we only won 40% of our games.

Which would you choose

• 10 catchy in norway // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I like the beatles ED

very clever song writers them 2

true storey this, Michael Jackson asked Sir Paul for some advice about investing his money, Paul buy royalties to music, it will always make you money,

so MJ did just that, he bought the beatles royalties, and Sir Paul never spoke to him again

• 11 mag // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Who’ll score the goals on Wednesday night? Shola avoids goals like Pardew avoids cup games. Cisse has been hung out to dry by Pardew for the wonga fiasco Remy and Cabaye won’t play De Jong is worse than Shola. Sack Pardew!

• 12 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Catchy
    This is what i’m talking about

mojo

id use sign language if I thought id get through to you

I have asked you many times , tell me the good things I should be supporting

tell me what is good about our team right now

I gave positives after the last match,we never let our heads drop despite the scoreline,most of the players worked hard and showed commitment all game,we created some good chances,LDJ looked like he could be good for us.Why can’t you see that?

• 13 daztoon // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM

MrMojoRisin76

The question is @ 9 on this thread and 166 last one

• 14 ErnestHemingway // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM

How is de jong worse than Shola?

• 15 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Maybe try playing Cisse up front with LDJ and see if a partnership can develop. I think there is something there that could well work for both of them for the rest of this season.

• 16 Toon Tang // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM

school run beckons, rave safely fellow blog botherers

• 17 Transfer Sage // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM

firebug

i agree with that…with cisse just getting back to fitness maybe give him the last 30 mins as a sub and see how he links with de jong, unless he is fit enough to start

• 18 ErnestHemingway // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I think two up top is the way to go vs spurs.

• 19 catchy in norway // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

which part of I think we have a great squad is not positive

I think we could be fighting for 4th you numpty, if we have the right guy leading the training sessions

I can not be more positive

I’m asking you tell me how LDJ will be good getting the same service as cisse ???

I’m gona spell it out for you , our strikers need service , we have the highest no of shots outside the box and the lowest inside the box than any other team in the league

we do not comit players forward

we score some amazing goals ,

mojo, I think your lost

• 20 Transfer Sage // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

ernest

it’s a difficult one

we can go 2 up top as they will do the same, so won’t be out numbered in midfield.

or we could try to out number them in midfield and get at them that way.

• 21 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM

LDJ is still a bit rusty, but from what I saw vs Chelsea, he could well be a top goal getter for us. Linking up with Gouffran and HBA when all fit could be the making of the lad. I will reserve judgement on him till I see him playing with a fully fit aquad on the pitch.

• 22 ErnestHemingway // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I think with the players we have available, two up top with four in midfield. Otherwise it’ll be San ton/mym in midfield, which isn’t ideal.

• 23 dubzy // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Shocking player not going to happen 6mil for a 28yr old take it now,otherwise he start moaning if hes on the bench,p.s MA will never 4get what about that wonga gate.simple as that

• 24 Cantbuyye // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM

The win at Spurs this season is/was the luckiest game i’ve ever seen. Krul was like Superman. They’ll be wanting revenge for that result. Didn’t Krul break some kinda of record that, 14 saves?

• 25 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Daz
    Sorry about the delay.I’d take the 1st option.The loss,pardew sacked and win the rest of the games.Because that would be what is best for the team

• 26 croftus5678 // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM

by all means if we are keeping him play the lad so he can prove he’s worth keeping otherwise just get rid as theres no point in having a striker who cant score or even get in the team with everything that is going on atm.

we need reliable performers

not players who play when they can be bothered

those to go imo
    shola
    colo
    marv
    arfa
    remy (only cos he will)
    gos
    newton
    and cisse if he doesnt perform
    matbe abied also and tav

a lot of new faces next season please.

• 27 Charlietoon // Feb 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sadly he has developed a terrible reputation for being constant offside. He often is not, but is more often than not assumed to be by linesmen and called back. He has been denied several good goals for offences he never committed and I dont think he can get a fair shot in the English game unless he constantly hits screamers from way in front of the back 4.

• 28 south coast toon // Feb 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM

hows luke doing have not seen him play
    am peed off with no signings, just cant believe it how the hell r we going to get anything in the summer,
    on remy if hes not going to sign for us its maddness to play him now
    we should play cisse with ldy that way cisse has the rest of the season to find form, it will be hard with no service
    pards must know theres not much chance of loads of signings in the summer so give cisse as much time as possible now we are safe lets not put remy in the shop window, give cisse the chance to find form or we could be left with no strikers in the summer
    we are an absolute joke
    but we are only just behind man u lol

previous post: Pardew – I Love Newcastle And I Love Working Here