Pardew Wants To Do Better Than Manchester United

Darren Bent scored in the fourth minute of added time in the Fulham game at Manchester United on Sunday, and once again the Red Devils slipped up badly and got only one point in their home game against bottom of the league Fulham.

david moyes

David Moyes – struggling Manchester United manager

That put Manchester United only 4 points ahead of Newcastle, even though we have collected only 4 points from our last seven league games, so there’s still a chance Newcastle could catch the Red Devils and finish in 7th place in the league.

It’s possible if improbable

And that’s exactly what Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is thinking, as he had this to say today at his press conference for the Tottenham  game on Wednesday night:

“Manchester United’s result cheered me up,” “It gives us a chance to try and catch them and, if we finish above Manchester United that would be a hell of an achievement for this club, regardless of anything else.”

“That’s the immediate incentive for us and then we’ll see where that takes us.” “I haven’t picked Manchester United out because of David, who is a big pal of mine and handling that situation very well,” “It’s because they happen to be the team directly in front of us.

“But of course it would be quite a scalp to finish above them. People are saying we have no incentive [for the rest of the season] but they are insulting our professionalism. I don’t like that. As manager of Newcastle United, it irritates me. There’s always an incentive in football.”

Newcastle are 8 points behind 6th placed Everton,  who were beaten by Tottenham on Sunday, and we meet Spurs on Wednesday night.

Tottenham are in 5th place – so if Newcastle are going to finish better than in 8th place – we should be beating teams like Tottenham at home.

And Newcastle  have to also meet both Manchester United and Everton at home, and we could do ourselves a lot of good with three wins in those games.

It’s very doubtful however that we can finish better than in 8th place – but it’s possible.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Belfast

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I’d rather win a cup tbh

Though I’d settle for finishing above them lot.

• Harley

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I’m gonna put a bet on us winning on wed.

I nearly won on Saturday. I had £10 on us winning 1-0 and that nearly came in too.

I’ve got an equally good feeling about spurs.

• bishopblaize

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I hope we see Adam Armstrong make an appearance on Wed. What we got to lose?
    I like the idea of Pardews new set up but time ain’t on side to be gaining points with Spurs on the attack.
    Gutted we’ve let Man U split in the race but what the hell more bad publicity on them at mo lol
    Njoy the game 🙂

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:34 PM

He’s talking like the achievement is against Ferguson’s Man Utd and they are first or second.

It’s definitely not.

Subliminal planting only works on some, Alan. I know your game.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Good to give Man Utd a taste of what most other fans go though. A brand new experience for a generation.

• The overrated Frenchman

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

“Insulting our professionalism” …..goodness me. It’s a patent lack of professionalism from the top down that is a significant problem with this club. Let’s mention Joe Kinnear at this point. Nothing further needs to be said does it? And as for the team itself, they have given some of the most unprofessional performances as individuals and collectively I have ever seen in the past two seasons. And Alan Pardew must shoulder much of the blame for that. And yes, accept that as an insult by all means. You’ve earned it richly.

• manxpie

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM

laurent was finishing 5th an achievement to you?
    or was that just luck and bad form for chelsea and liverpool??

• Belfast

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Yes, must admit I’m really enjoying man utds downfall, it’s long overdue lol

• manxpie

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM

belfast did you watch there game against fulham and see that fans face at the end?
    now that really was enjoyment!

• Graeme

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM

It must be almost 10 years since Spuds won a League Match at SJP and long may it continue.

Pardew has the players to win the game – has he got what it takes to make it happen? Given the debacle of the last home game, I hope he has the squad on raw meat and domestos before the Spuds game!!

• Belfast

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Yes, I’ve actually had money on Swansea and the mackems beating them, so it’s been great. Lol

Be interesting to see how many season ticket holders they get next year.

• t00ntime

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

@laurent I think he is just saying that the postion we are in we will almost definitely finish top 10 (unless we keep messing up) the question is where? I think right now 6th would be the most we could hope for. but thats an incredible longshot as we’re already 8 points behind +have to play all the top7 except chelsea and man city.

Which then means its 7th-10th. So AP is aiming for 7th and see how close we can get to the rest of the group. Also 7th puts us in for a chance of EL depending on who wins LC and who is in FA cup final. but that too seems like a longshot atm.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Moyes is a big pal of yours? Dont be daft, man. Pardew and moyes have beef that goes back to pardews west ham days.

West ham beat Everton at goodison and he was quite smug (surprise surprise) about it. An Everton supporting mate of mine told me that the day we hired pardew and it stuck with me.

I’ve noticed that since he’s managed us, he likes to have a dig at moyes whenever he can. I don’t mind that at all personally!

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Man Uniteds next four fixtures are really tough. I could actually see them losing or not picking up maximum points in any of them. The pressure will be huge on moyes if that happens. Pardews just cranking it up even more.

• Expat MAG

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:17 AM

Hoping we get at least a point on Wednesday against Spurs, although 3 points would be just fantastic. Pardew needs to start with Cisse and Luuk De Jong up front, as one of them needs to score to lift the gloom on Tyneside……

HWTL

• maikelw

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Haha are you serious pardew? us winning agains united, everton and spurs? Then we must improve from transitioning from defence to offence. Without cabaye the balance in midfield is gone. Hatem ben arfa proves every week that he is a winger and lacks the mentality to actually defend when losing the posession. You can say what you want about gutierrez but he has the will to defend after losing posession. Pardew probably is a nice man but not the right man for this material. You see guys playing a style which is not in their nature. Also please stop playing staylor and put dummets in his place. He is the one responsible for us losing all the games with his awfull defending.