The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rumors Newcastle To Appoint This Man To Replace Kinnear

1:47 pm, Tuesday, February 11th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

41 year-old former Liverpool Director of Football, Damien Comolli, has told Sky Sports Radio that he wants to discuss the Director of Football job with Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley.

Damien Comolli -006

Damien Comolli – former Liverpool and Spurs Director of Football

Maybe it was that interview that started off the rumors that he may be appointed as Newcastle’s new Director of Football – a position he held at both Liverpool and Spurs.

He was appointed Director of Football Strategy at Liverpool in November of 2010, and in March of the following year was appointed as the Director of Football, having helped to sign Luis Suarz and Andy Carroll in the January transfer window of 2011.

His position covered the whole football side of the Liverpool club, except the coaching side of the team.

During his time at Liverpool he also signed Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing, Doni, Jose Enrique, Sebastián Coates and Craig Bellamy, but of those signings only Louis Suarez, Jordan Henderson and Jose Enrique remain – although in retrospect Suarez and Henderson have turned out to be excellent buys.

And he was the Spurs Director of Football from 2005 through October of 2008, when he resigned after Spurs had been struggling (just before Redknapp was appointed to replace the sacked Juande Ramos), and he had taken some criticism for  poor deals in the transfer market.

He was also Arsenal’s European scout from 1997 for seven years – and he speaks fluent English, Spanish and French.

Damien’s almost the opposite of Joe Kinnear at Newcastle, Damien signed lots of players at Liverpool, although it was following the Fenway Sports Group purchase of the side, and new players were needed and there was money to buy them.

In April of 2012,  Comolli left Liverpool by what was termed mutual consent, and he said he had left due to family reasons – but there were rumors he was sacked for making some poor deals for Liverpool.

These could simply be rumors  generated because Damien has said he is interested in the job at Newcastle, but we’re not sure he would be a good signing for Newcastle, but at least he’d get some players into the club.

What do you think?

Comment welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I will eat a pube sandwich(not necessarily my own) if he comes here.

• 2 catchy in norway // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM

homo

baarrrr baarrrr

• 3 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Doubt Ashley will take him on? He’s got a machine gun cheque book!
    Not sure how much say he had at Spurs as I think Daniel Levy makes all the decisions but at Liverpool he gave a masterclass in how to waste millions!

• 4 catchy in norway // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM

get him in

he hates pardew

• 5 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM

saying that, he gets a deal done… aslong as he doesn’t get to choose the players…

• 6 Big Pappa Cissé // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM

He did bring in Suarez I suppose .

• 7 Mister Tuff // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Rebecca -previous posts – I was being sarcastic. Mr Tubbs is expanding his evil empire all over the world. someone suggested yesterday that there was no expansion in the Far East -or such expansion that could be linked to NUFC.
    My posts were to highlight that the B*****D is expanding all over the place including the Far East.
    His links with NUFC surely must assist his expansion – but we’ll probably never be able to prove it in a month on Sundays.

• 8 archaeomag // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM

….signed Andy Carroll for 35mil …. somehow I don’t think MA is going to let him anywhere near our imaginary transfer budget.

• 9 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Because of spending much time in France i tend to favour St Ettiene as my second team. Not sure why, just picked them up and stuck with it! They gave Comolli the keys to the kingdom, absolute complete control and he was truly awful! The players he brought were useless and he wasted a record amount of money in one transfer window

• 10 Transfer Sage // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM

is he that good at his job? i really don’t know.

As long as carr is picking the players he might be good to get deals done, but he has always had bigger budgets than ours.

• 11 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Catchy
    Read this word and tell me it isn’t describing you.

Troll
    In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

• 12 Dannyo // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

“41 year-old former Liverpool Director of Football, Damien Comolli, has told Sky Sports Radio that he wants to discuss the Director of Football job with owner Mike Ashley at Newcastle.”

This is EXTREMELY selective reading. He’s said no such thing, not even the slightest.
    The interview is out there to listen to.
    What he talks about the steps to go through to even consider to get back into the job, the example being Newcastle at the time, because of JK’s resignation.

It irritates me a bit this, it’s just simply not what he said. At all.

• 13 daztoon // Feb 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Catchy

Don’t take the bait it’s really not worth it.

• 14 G // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Whilst I feel quite nonchalant about hiring any new DOF, I’m not against Comolli, however, if you look at his complete track record rather than the highlights he has a record of paying over-the-odds prices for players. He does pick up the odd bargain, but generally he pays out more than a player is worth more often than not. That doesn’t sound like a man who will work well with Mike Ashley to me.

• 15 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM

his record of signing players who then go on to be worth 80m isn’t bad… Gareth Bale..Luis Suarez… also credited with arranging the signing of Nasri and Clichy for arsenal?
    Read an article by Martin Jol saying Comolli doesn’t see what the first team needs, he just sees young players with potential and sell on value whether theres room in the squad for them or not.
    Jol says Comolli only cares about signing players that can be sold for maximum profits and didn’t care where this left the actual team…. sounds like a marriage made in heaven with ashley

• 16 70TWO // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

archaeomag @8

***** (5 stars comment)

• 17 toon kk // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

It doesn’t matter who Mash gets in they will work under Mashley rule. Payers will only come if MA gives the go.

We’re only a business that advertises his tat No more

• 18 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

DazPoon.
    Didn’t you have enough trying to clean OG’s ass yesterday?,if you have something to say,say it to me instead of trying to get support from other bloggers.What’s the matter,are you scared?

• 19 Transfer Sage // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

jay

i didn’t know that….might be the ideal person to work with ashley then.

• 20 BandB // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Mister Tuff/Toon KK

I read. A lot.
    And though I write conjecture, is usually try to back it up with quotes and stats where possible.
    Ashley said he made a mistake buying the club. Like any of our players, it too is for sale if the right offer comes in.
    Would that be the case if it really were at the heart of his plans for world domination?

• 21 archaeomag // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM

@70TWO ta

@Dannyo – typical made up nonsense – fills a few inches of copy.

• 22 daztoon // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Waterboy

Did you enjoy your pube sandwich after you’d swallowed the full sausage before hand.

I didn’t realise the film waterboy was a true story,but thought Adam Sandler played your part really well.

Gatoradeeeeeeeeeeeee

• 23 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM

@TS – yea theres quite a lot of insight (and bitterness) on comolli from Jol. Comolli signed Bale, Kaboul, Taarabt, Lennon for spurs but apparantly completely ignored Jol when it came to players the team actually needed.
    The worry for me that of St Ettiene, Spurs and Liverpool, all 3 were significantly better off for firing him…

good article on his spurs time –

• 24 Transfer Sage // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

jay

I guess if he worked with us he wouldn’t have a free reign which might help get the best from him and not bring his worst side out.

Who knows though…as long as he isn’t in full control and part of a selection process then i guess it could work well.

• 25 Markaccus // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Ashley wont have this guy. He’d expect money. Next.

• 26 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM

another decent read- http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/apr/12/damien-comolli-liverpool-arsene-wenger

• 27 MrMojoRisin76 // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM

DazPoon
    Didn’t i tell you yesterday to get some new material?,you said that joke to me last year.The film was made in 1998,can you not come up with any more “funny” movie quotes that are a bit more current?

• 28 SuperShearer // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Was just about to post that AP seems markedly upbeat since Kinnear’s departure and was wondering if that was because he had been promised more say in transfers. Could still be the case. How would people feel about that? I have genuinely no idea how AP is in the transfer market although there were rumours he wanted to buy both Lambert and Lallana for us when he first arrived….let’s be honest those two would improve our current squad immeasurably.

• 29 jayphoto // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

all a mute point tho as I think zero chance it’ll happen though if comolli is looking to get back into premier league football there aren’t many other logical ports for him other than newcastle or southampton

• 30 catchy in norway // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

daztoon

water boy

love it :)

• 31 Rebbeca from 7 miles away // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I am a NUFC fan

I’m not a Pardew hater or a Ashley hater I’m a NUFC fan that’s wants the club to do the best it can with what it has available.

When Ashley 1st came in like a lot of fans I thought it was great news but not now, it’s not one thing in particular he’s done just the sheer volume of discrepancies in what were told and what actually happens.

I can honestly say I’m happy the club seems to be able to support itself without getting into massive debts like a lot of other clubs.
    When I look at Ashley’s model for NUFC it’s no different to how he usually works in his retail ventures. He buys a struggling company stream lines it and sells for a profit.

Something else he does is buy a company cheap and manoeuvres it in the market so it becomes much stronger than the opposition and then dominates said market. I once thought he was doing that at NUFC getting rid of debt etc to have us in a really strong position when financial fair play comes in, by having plenty cash solid platform etc.

Most of you know that’s not what I think he’s doing I believe where a big marketing tool for SD to him and nothing more.
    I’d love to be wrong and in the summer for Ashley to go out and spend the clubs money with ambition as we have good financial foundations now. I’d be more than happy to be told I was a fool and wrong and for everyone to take the mik.

I just can’t see that happening.
    Don’t forget I’m just a NUFC fan who wants like all fans what’s best for NUFC

• 32 Rotonda heights // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Ed

it was totally hypothetical he was asked if he would consider going to NUFC. Nothing more!!

Mojo

You’re having a very long school dinner break aren’t you?.

Troll descriibes you a tee

• 33 toon kk // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Mash will be busy looking for the next cockney mug to lick his @rs!!!

• 34 daztoon // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM

No H2o

Waterboy

We established yesterday your a WUM and a very poor one at that and not very bright at all.

If Adam Sandler has seen your posts i`m sure he`s got enough material to do a sequel.

I won`t reply again as like i said you aint worthy of one and bore me.

Now run along before i make you cry again.

• 35 croftus5678 // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

i dont undertsand ? wasnt his job to sign the players the scouts said was good enough for the team ?

his job was easy as he had some money to work with and was not asked to penny pinch like he would do here !

i dont blame bad signings on him but overspending i do blame on him.

looks like he will get players through the door and with carr scouting this could be great for us but i doubt it would benefit ashleys pocket as he tends to overspend !

• 36 BandB // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Rebecca,

There are really only four trains of thought on this blog.
    Those like TDS who believe we are building steadily for an assault on Europe at some unspecified point in the future and that we are demonstrably moving in that direction,
    Others believe that the club is a crucial part of Ashley’s plans to grow Sports Direct, and that he is stuffing his pockets with cash and will continue to milk it for all he is worth.
    There are a few who think he bought a pig in a poke (which he has admitted). And that he would sell if he got the right price (which he has said). Therefore his real strategy is to dig himself out of a hole.
    I think the latter the most believable scenario, based on what is on the record.
    Oh! I forgot the fourth. “Anyone who disagrees smells of poo and will be offered out for a fight.”

• 37 stuart no9 // Feb 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

2 things —- first– they wont get on . He likes to spend money , Ashley dosnt big problems there then .

2nd —- catchy – is that true he hates pardew ?????

• 38 MontySmythe // Feb 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I think there should be some sort of truce between fans and Ashley.

Do you think people constantly whingeing and moaning is likely to make Ashley splash some cash cos I know it wouldn’t encourage me.

if you look at how Ashley treats his staff at Sports Direct it is with a carrot of financial incentives rather than a stick which is why they’re so successful not constantly being on their backs.

The Keegan thing has been the biggest thing for me but Ashley was new in to the role then and I’d be surprised if he hasn’t learnt his lesson from listening to Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez which is probably a reasonable factor as to why we are frugal these days.

The things people complain about:

Renaming of St James’ park…I don’t care as we will all still refer to it as St James’ Park and if it does bring money in to the club then great (The Gallowgate end and Leazes end were still known as those by the fans when they were renamed sir John Hall Stand and Exhibition Stand).

Sports Direct not paying for sponsorship…again I don’t care as if this makes Ashley richer through his significant interest in Sports Direct then that can only be good that we have an owner who is getting richer.

Selling Andy Carroll…in retrospect a great piece of business.

Sacking Chris Hughton…harsh but think Chris Hughton is a nicer person I think Pardew is a better manager.

Banning The Chronicle…NUFC are the main reason the Chronicle sells newspapers so to give a few people an exaggerated mouthpiece against the organisation that is responsible for you being in business is a case of biting the hand that feeds you. If that was your business would you do them any favours in return?

Not communicating with the fans…not too dissimilar to the City analysts complaining that he doesn’t give them enough info but share prices quadrupled since float as he knows what he’s doing. Be difficult to argue that Newcastle aren’t in a better position in both footballing terms and financial terms compared to the day he took over (yes there has been some rocky ground in between but you’d think lessons have been learnt)…if we continually improve squad and finances then in the long run that will pay off. Financially there can’t be a better run team in the Premier League.

Wonga…I’m guessing they weren’t Ashley’s preferred choice either but you’ve got to take the best offer on the table.

Joe Kinnear…Ashley has realised his mistake and acted on it within 8 months.

The club is in a good position both financially and player wise compared to our competitors and if we clear out the deadwood and have a decent summer I think next season could be good.

I stopped going to the match a few years ago and it wasn’t because of the quality of the football but the quality of the fans. Constantly on the players backs, worse than listening to my mam nagging my dad when we were kids. Never made him want to do what she wanted him to do and I don’t believe it makes players play better either. Look at the Crystal Palace fans and that’s how you get behind a team…maybe give that a try rather than the constant complaining for a change.

• 39 tynesidetommo // Feb 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Looks like he and Ashley will get on like a house on fire NOT

• 40 JackButler // Feb 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

A man that wastes millions working for a man that doesn’t spend anything………………of course this will happen

• 41 stuart no9 // Feb 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

monty — are you real or are you M Ashley??????????????????????????

• 42 Malta Mag // Feb 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Well said Monty. The first decent post on here all day. I feel like smacking Ashley in the mouth at times out of sheer frustration but I believe that even if he has made mistakes, and he’s made a few, there’s no conspiracy theory out there to undermine the club just a sound business mind. Of course he may decide to sell and let’s be honest, you couldn’t blame him with all the grief he gets from the terraces but if he does the club will be a lot more viable than it was when he first took over. Am I happy? Of course I’m not but deep down I still believe there will be an end product in all this and that it will be worth all the grief.

• 43 Jeff from Benwell // Feb 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM

stuart no9 // Feb 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

monty — are you real or are you M Ashley??????????????????????????

stuart / are you / 10 years old or 11?

• 44 The next Mike Williamson // Feb 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM

This is a quote on wikipedia about Comoli from St Etienne.

“Damien spent €22 million [£18.7m] of our money on seven players in summer of last year. Only one is a first-team regular now. We gave him the keys to our club and are now in financial difficulties. My own view of Damien is he favours size and strength as the qualities he goes for first.”

If he does just go for big strong lads, then he will be bringing in players that Pardew will be to work with. Could be a match in heaven, although I’d rather Laundrup & Cortese.

• 45 Sav // Feb 12, 2014 at 1:45 AM

The important point is that MonstaMash shoukl be replacing Kinnear NOW. Whether Comoli is the right man, who knows. But would MonstaMash rather save on 3 months wages and sign up a DoF when the World Cup is upon us?

• 46 isleofmanman // Feb 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I’m psychic me man

After Joe was unseated I suggested here that Comoli should be top of the list as replacement

His job would be to set up and then drive negotiations and close deals for designated targets

Also, he has a brain – which would make a change

previous post: Pardew Bemoans The Loss Of This Player