The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – These Two Are Like Brothers At Newcastle

7:51 am, Wednesday, February 12th, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

It seems like Dutch team-mate Tim Krul is helping Luuk de Jong settle down quickly at Newcastle, and the Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has again praised the Dutch striker for his play at Chelsea last Saturday.

luuk de jong97

Luuk de Jong – played well at Chelsea

This is what Pardew said about the 23 year-old Dutch striker, who has 5 caps for the Netherlands:

“De Jong has settled in very well. He knows Tim Krul very well and they look like brothers at times, but I thought he did very well on Saturday against a really fired-up Chelsea.”

“Jose had Chelsea in a place where they were thinking ‘no slip-ups’ after beating Manchester City and I thought he did everything he could on Saturday with the service he had. He never gave the ball away he was strong and took the ball in.”

“He didn’t have much goal threat but we didn’t give him those opportunities. The rest of his play I thought was terrific, I was pleased with that and I thought he was too.”

“Luke’s getting these games and if we get the best team around him,  we’ll get the best out of him for sure.”

Newcastle could lose all four of their strikers this summer, with Loic Remy and Shola Ameobi almost certain to leave, and Pardew to make a decision on Papiss Cisse in the summer.

It would be great if Luuk can make the grade at Newcastle, and that would be one less striker we’d have to bring in over the summer.

And it would be a good time for Luuk to open his account tonight at home against Tottenham, when Newcastle will be without Debuchy, Coloccini, Tiote and Cisse due to injury.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Luuk de Jong · Newcastle News · Tim Krul

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Feb 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Check you traitor! I envy you ;)

Are we looking up? To see who will screw up worse, Manu or us? Or are we looking down at the peloton? Will they catch us? West Ham? Come on, surely not!! Southampton has maybe seen the last of us at last?
    This is Newcastle (read like ‘this is Sparta’!) Unpredictable… who knows, we could beat spurs tonight, with no real CF.
    PS. LDJ needs games or isn’t ‘ready’ :(

On this: The Ameobis feel the same way too.

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I would still rather Max Kruse!

..and I would probably also prefer Lee Clark or Eddie Howe ;)

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM

*have

• 4 jeff // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:00 AM

thats rasicsim. saying there brothers cause there white. if u said that about tiote and shola ameobi you would get charged by the Football Association (FA)

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Sage,
    Maybe, but I think chucking him in the deep end when the side are creating very little could do more harm than good. Maybe give him a run out against Villa, but Remy is back then so unlikely.

Personally, if we are going to start giving him game time then he should have come on instead of Marveaux against Chelsea. 6 minutes left, game over a no pressure situation for the lad. Whereas for Marveaux, it is like kicking a man when he is down. If I was in Marveaux’s position on Saturday I’d have felt like Pardew was taking the piss bringing me on at that stage. From Marveaux’s expression and demeanour I think he felt the same.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Sage,
    I noticed a chat about NFL coaches, I think it is a decent idea, but how much are NFL coaches on? The money in American football is huge for players, is it the same for coaching staff? If so, there is no chance of it happening.

Other than finance it would be interesting to see how it worked, but it all depends on the person taking the set plays being an expert at delivery, able to pin point the delivery 99% of the time. We have nobody able to do that.

• 7 check the toastie // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Marv will never play well under Pardew, he simply isn’t his type of player, its a shame but he is wasting his ability at this football club whilst Percy remains, same goes for Ben Arfa, who also seems to have given up.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM

lilo

Yeh I mention that in american the quarter back could throw the ball through the eye of a needle from 70 yards, we can’t kick a ball above shin height half the time from corners…..maybe hire them on a month consultancy basis? just to see if it works.

I don’t think it harms the kid even if he does bad, i’m sure he’d be boosted all season with the minutes on the pitch, getting to play at SJP would be his dream….providing he is capable, which he must be if on the bench.

Also is bigi fit? i’d get him involved in the middle before i’d play santon there.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Sage,
    Just checked, the average NFL coach annual salary is 4.6million USD… Bit out of our pay scale for someone just to do set plays…

• 10 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:14 AM

check

ben arfa has never flourished anywhere though

• 11 catchy in norway // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:14 AM

gb83

I like colo, but I do not think he has been anywhere near his best for us when he has played this season, and think MYM has looked more assured when he has played, but he has been rash a few times

as for goofy, he may be a goal scorer, but it is a fact that he does not chase as much as people think, and I know that if you watch some of the goals we have conceded, he lets people run past him, I really don’t think he is suited to being on the wing, he should be more up front, he is better in the 18y box, in fact id go as far as to say remy and him should be swapped around, remy is far more comfortable coming in and shooting , goofy reacts better in the box, I also think remy and Sammy are more comfortable running at players

regardless, we have a top 8 squad, so to finish 8th would be poor, to finish 9th, that would be failure, teams struggle in this league because they don’t have goal scorers, we have 2 proven premiership goal scorers in our team and now a dutch international,,

• 12 Transfer Sage // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM

lil

what about college level football over there? might be more affordable and some good coaches

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Sage,
    It depends, if he has a shocker, get dominated by there centre halves then he won’t take much confidence or enjoyment. He would be better off being eased in against lesser opposition then Spurs.

Yeah, maybe try a month consultancy in their off season, then it wouldn’t affect there regular job and we would be able to see if it derives any benefit.

Bigi is still injured I think. If Debuchy is out, then I’d put Santon right back and put either Mbiwa in centre mid, or drop Sissoko deeper. But judging by Pardew’s comments he will continue with Santon in the centre.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM

I see pardew is being very smug and almost gloating about AVB and Laudrup getting sacked as they were ” Europa league victims”.

Well Spurs were 6th when AVB got sacked and before last night Swansea were 10th, neither anywhere near 16th and yet Pardew is still here! How expectations have been lowered.

• 15 catchy in norway // Feb 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM

this is where pardew goes wrong with the kids

he should blood them in our good periods, but he tends to throw them in at the deep end and asks them to carry the team,

when the kid does not score, he will be tossed aside as prove there not good

sad