It’s A Lack Of Leadership At The Top At Newcastle

Newcastle have gone from bad to worse since the end of what was another pitiful transfer window last month, and all the club achieved was to lose our best player, and on the positive side we also brought in on-loan Luuk de Jong – and oh yes I almost forget – we got £20M for Cabaye – but fat use that is through the end of this season.

mike ashley

Mike Ashley – his lack of communication hurts the club

In times of crises at any organization, it’s the person at the top that has to take the heat – just as they get the kudos when things are going well – it’s a two-edged sword.

And the man at the top for Newcastle is owner Mike Ashley – and he is the one mainly responsible for what is turning out to be another disastrous season at Newcastle.

And almost in equal measure Alan Pardew is responsible for failing to get the best out of what is a decent Newcastle squad, and Alan’s job is now on the line, and if things don’t improve before the end of the season, he could well lose his job this summer.

But it’s the man at the very top who is a huge problem for Newcastle United, because the fans never hear from Mike Ashley and in these times of trouble for the club, we are not holding our breath that Mike will say anything at all.

And good leaders also have to be good communicators for obvious reasons – so they can get the ideas over to the people in the organization and communicate the strategy, plans and ambitions to the people.

And since we currently have no Chief Executive at Newcastle these days, there’s also a vacuum of leadership at the executive level.

I’ve been around the block a few times with IBM, and had times when you have to stand up and acknowledge things are not what they should be – and good people acknowledge that – and then know fully that their number one priority is to put it right.

It’s now up to Alan Pardew and his coaches – as well as the Newcastle players – to start putting things right – and we expect a much improved display against Aston Villa a week on Sunday.

We would hope to win that game, but the minimum is to see our players showing guts and glory – whatever happens in the game – and we cannot have a repeat of last night’s latest surrender.

But a problem right now at Newcastle is that we are like a ship drifting in the wind,  and going nowhere fast – and not even knowing where we should be going or where we will end up.

That’s because we don’t know what Newcastle’s plans or ambitions are going forward over the next few years – other than to make money and stay in the Premier League.

You usually hear that from the man at the top, but we’re not holding our breath that Mike Ashley will say anything soon.

And while Ashley has done well on the financial side of things at Newcastle, let’s be fair there, he has been lacking in other important areas of the club.

Ashley needs to hire a new Director of Football quickly, and it would be nice if he put out a statement to the fans, but we’ve said that many times over the last seven years with no success in getting much at all in statements from the English Billionaire.

Any organization follows the guidance, traits and personality of the leader – to a certain extent – and Mike Ashley at the head of Newcastle is not helping things at the moment – in fact he’s showing no leadership at all.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• catchy in norway

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM

“I don’t care what the scoreline is, I don’t care what the scenario is, that’s what I expect and that’s what these fans expect.” “If you drop down from that, then you are going to suffer a game like that.”

someone slap the guy

all you care about is the result, FACT

hard work + a good plan + talented players = good results

he takes a short cut and uses talented players to get wonder goals, and it kind of pleases the fans , its something good to talk about,

in 150 games from him I don’t think I can count on 1 hand where I think we have played well win or lose for 90 mins

that’s sad

• G

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I never thought I would see worse leadership outside of the Army. I stand corrected, step forward MA / AP.

• DanToon

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM

HE’S LOST THE DRESSING ROOM AND HE LOST THE FANS A LONG TIME AGO, IT’S TIME FOR HIM TO GO!

I NEVER POST ON HERE BUT AM THAT FED UP WITH EVERYTHING I JUST NEED TO VENT. THE PLAYERS ARE ALREADY ON HOLIDAY AS FAR AS I CAN SEE IT.

I’VE ALSO SOLD MY SEASON TICKET TO A FRIEND FOR A SUPER LOW PRICE BECAUSE I SIMPLY CAN’T BE ARSED ANY MORE. THAT’S WHAT NUFC HAS DONE TO ME AND I’VE ALWAYS BEEN VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT THEM UNTIL NOW.

I THINK THAT’S THE WAY ITS GOING FOR MOST FANS NOWADAYS, CAN’T SEE IT GETTING ANY BETTER EITHER.

• Slank

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM

REPOST

Ed, it’s not fair to say that Alan Pardew’s job is on the line.

Most fans at the start of the season said that we would finish between positions 7 – 10. Well that’s exactly where we are. I thought we would finish at 8th.

If the owner said that we had to finish within the top four then sacking Pardew would be wrong as he hasn’t been given the players to achieve that by others whose job it was and it also ignores the strength of the other clubs around us.

If the team finishes below 10th then yes his job is on the line as we are far better than those currently below us.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I haven’t seen it mentioned, but Cisse tried to make over half a dozen excellent runs in behind, only for him to have to hold and hang on because he didn’t receive the pass.

It may not show it on tv as he’s out of shot, but he was showing good movement. The team is void of proper attacking planning.

We counted 5 or 6 Tottenham players running forward in attack at times. They had intent to score a goal. We usually have 2, with another catching up. If that.

Disgraceful coaching and managing.

• catchy in norway

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM

come on ed give me a break

Chris H worked under the same guy with less talented players and got us out of the championship, setting good records along the way.

Chris H lost more good players in one season than pardew has lost in 3 and still made plans and still had them playing more football, looking like a team, playing for each other

we don’t now

this is not ashley

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I think Pardew’s job should be on the line…fair enough the club said target of top 10 which we should achieve but the manner of defeats and how many times we just roll over is pathetic.

Also a manager of a club is more than just results, it’s developing all aspects of the club as well (he is manager, not head coach).

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

catchy

what did you make of my list of managers?

also really PDC, that guy is a joke.

• catchy in norway

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

TS

Paulo Dicanio

and I like your list

• catchy in norway

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

haha

I was typing at the same time

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

We are a sinking ship now. Our stern is still visible out of the water (9th) but the is only one way we are headed.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM

catchy

yeh i thought that, i just didn’t believe you meant him….he was terrible and sunderland, only 1 point this year with a team poyet has playing quite well.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Sage,
    Had to nip out, had a meeting with the President and Minister for sports about possibly being involved with their youth sports development program. Exciting times, although I wouldn’t get paid, and as with most things here it will go nowhere as the Government ministers half inch the cash….

Pretty much agree with all of your post to me earlier. The whole place is rotten, and whilst I don’t expect wonders if we got rid of Pardew, we would most likely get new ideas. Just look at Spurs and Bentaleb, couldn’t get a look in under AVB and is now talked about as a French World Cup squad member and a Prem regular. On last nights evidence, it is a no brainer between Bentaleb and Sissoko for a spot.

• cestriasteve

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Anybody tells me the likes of Anita, Sissoko and especially Santon were prem ship standard well I’m sorry I have to disagree.

If that wasn’t an example of players who don’t give a f..k about their club then I’ll be amazed.

A lot of disgruntled fans last night, reckon we will loose a lot of fans next season, does MA really give a toss? Probably not! He gets his money, finish about 10th, zero investment over the last few year result!! How sad!!

• Slank

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Ed, it’s not a disastrous season.

It’s a typical Newcastle United season.

If you look at the performances since 1969 with different managers, good and bad, we have failed miserably in all the domestic cups and apart from a brief flurry within the top four and relegation fights won and lost we have been, at the rest of the country knows, a mid table team.

The commentator on last nights game said it right when he said words to the effect that Newcastle fans perceive it as either one game away from glory or disaster. It’s a feast or famine mentality.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

lilo

well good luck with that, would you need to deal with situations like this? (I know a different country but similar problems)

And yeh, Bentaleb looked great, so does adebeyor uner sherwood. He seems a good coach, still gets some things wrong but looks like he is stepping up well.

Was he reserve/academy coach before? shows they have better development coaches than we have for the first team, which is sad really.

I don’t profess to know a great deal on coaching, a few basics but not much, certainly don’t think i could scout players based on potential, just the ready made ones, but I can see we have a few problems with our set up which are not addressed and they keep repeating themselves over and over which is terrible…..changes at least must be attempted.

• SharpEnough23

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I think it’s time Pardew goes, I have defended him in the past but our recent record is shocking.

We all know our season is over, which is why I didn’t bother watching last night’s match.

As for a replacement I’d love hughton back.

This summer we need wholesale changes, but I fear the players we should be keeping (krul,tiote,debuchey) will all probably leave.

And if Pardew is still manager we will be relegated

• catchy in norway

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM

TS

I don’t think he is a bad manager, something went wrong between him and the guy buying 14 new players, and some of the senior players ,

I think Tim Sherwood has to put on the list , he does not have the job at spurs full time yet , and I think is showing to be a good coach , spuds have looked a different team under him

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM

slank

I said this last night, sort of applies to your comments…..feel free to disagree though.

I think at least under previous owners in the past 20 years or so we have at least thought, well in the summer we might sign x, y or z and kick on and look to push. I think now under Ashley a lot of people think everytime we set a good platform we either dont buy as we have enough to get buy or sell as we can get away with it….people don’t see the challenge anymore with him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Cestria,
    Huge difference between not been Prem standard quality wise, and not caring less about the club. For me, yesterday was more about a lack of application rather than quality. All 3 have proved they can cut it in the Prem, sadly all of our players have also shown how little passion they have for the club.

• asenski

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM

catchy
    you forgot to say mate that norwich play much better and modern football than we did the all of the last campaig
    not to mention that 10th place is not guaranteed as soothampton ans swansea will surely get above us

• Transfer Sage

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

catchy

good point on sherwood, he wants a prem job so if not spurs won’t be many higher than ours available…good shout.

AVB struggled and chelsea and spurs…bit of the dicannio about him in that he has players he likes/rates and others are totally dismissed like adebeyor was or tery/lampard at chelsea (when terry and adebeyor have been there clubs best or one of best players this year)

Once you start to lose a few, then you get annoyed at others moral drops and people will gang up on you.

• Markaccus

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Knowing our illustrious pillock owner,AVB will be next on his list. Failed at Chelsea ( maybe not all his fault) but failed to make an impact at spurs, a club you would have THOUGHT suited avb. I wouldnt have him, personally. What do others think?

• Yorkgeordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Pardew won’t get the sack. Joe Kinnear has already taken the blame for the rest of this season, but I seem to remember Pardew saying, earlier this season, we had strength in depth and needed few, if any, additions. Can’t keep blaming others all of the time.

• HullMag6

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Tubbs doesn’t care his beloved spurs won and he’s laughing all the way to the bank. F@#kwit

He’s killing our club. If only someone could buy him out.

• asenski

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

it is 10 o’clock and still nothing from the board
    it seems it is not even being discussed his situation
    pathetic

• firebug666

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Pardrew can shout and scream at the team till he is blue in the face, but at the end of the day, HE is the only one at fault. The majority of our team are very very good players and would fit in well at any other club. AP it totally inept, unable to lift and inspire the team, never likes to play the best players in there best position, and seems to hate the idea of having Gouffran on the left, HBA on the right and two strikers up front. The man is either totally inept and unfit for purpose, or he’s and escaped patient from a mental institution. ( although I would bet most of those patients could pick a better team).

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Sage,
    Hopefully not, although it is always a potential problem as many don’t have any formal documents when they are born, and all it takes is the persons word, and 2 older people from the same village to say where and when you were born and that can be used for a passport. If a football club or agent wanted to do this with a kid it would cost less than £5 to buy both of the villagers testimonies.

I’m not sure what Sherwoods exact role was, I think he was a technical director, or something of that ilk. Not a coach per se, but he oversaw that area. On Bentaleb, I think they got him last summer, and the only other club interested were Birmingham. He failed to agree terms with them, so Spurs got him instead.

Incredibly, there are still all sorts of rumours that Sherwood will be replaced, and some fans even want him out already….

• Rebbeca from 7 miles away

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Unlike outside it’s dark and gloomy here.

More than anything watching the side the thing that stood out was none of the players seemed sure of their roll and exactly what they were meant to be doing. Which is a common thread in most of Pardews team selections.

It was obvious after 10mins the players were struggling but again he just stood looking at the pitch with a blank look on his face.

Most people are rightly annoyed at the whole situation but fat mikes in charge and he kept Pardew last year so I can’t see him going now.
    If there was words in the dressing room unfortunately I couldn’t see any of out players standing up and being counted either as they aren’t on the pitch.

We can sit here slag off players Pardew etc but the buck stops with fatty he sees and hears everything we do yet sits and watches.
    If he wishes to move forward with the club now is the time to clear the decks on the managerial/coaching side, we can afford to bed a new manager in from now to start of next season. Or he could just sell up and we’d all be happy well most of us.

Chin up lads and lasses things can only get better 😉

• cestriasteve

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Lilongwe, I’m a big fan of your posts on here and we had many a discussion about mid field supporting full backs etc. and the need for stronger left and right sided midfielders supporting a central dou of creative and defensive midfielder.

Surely Pardew justs has to adapt, swap cabaye for a another and maintain tiote partnership, I wasn’t a big fan of the Gouffy and Sissoko out wide but it really worked, hard working players playing and supporting FBs so why go and change everything because of injuries and suspensions, pulling Sissoko in central midfield did not work last night, he was utterly lost!!

• stuart no9

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

ED. — will you please stop putting that pic of Ashley at the start of a new thread . It really is upsetting . Is is the face of a man I would gleefully smack flush on with a bulldog shovel the happily , by using a Mel hammer , knock him on the head until he has disappeared into the ground inch by inch like a tent peg – even that would be too good for Ashley . Sorry jail but I couldn’t resist it fella .

• Whumpie

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

This pretty much sums it up for me. Whether you think AP is doing a bad job or not is beside the point. It won’t help while we’re being used by a billionnaire as a cheap advertising hoarding.

I think AP could have done better under these bloody awful conditions, but do I think we could hire someone else who would take on those conditions, let alone do a better job? And would it actually do more than give us a few better results in a meaningless season?

Nope. Nobody, short of the terminally desperate, would take the job now they’ve seen how readily Ashley screws over the club and his managers.

So while I think AP has to take a lot of flak, venting at him is pointless. The only way we’ll get improvement is to just not turn up and hope that gobshite, sweatshop fodder peddler fecks off.

• Roger

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Again and again, you all fans, supporters, members,
    have to set signs. Last night we loose again without
    any own goal. Last 4 games not only one goal, last
    3 games 10 goals against us. Cisse, he is terrible,
    Ameobi, the same thing and Ben Arfa,also very poor
    last evening. We had no players in the second row,
    when top players are not on the bench, we had no chance. If we had not 37 points at the moment, we
    had the same problem then last season.
    Next game is Aston Villa, then Everton and then
    Fulham. With this squad we will loose all games.
    And it s not Pardew, it is the owner. Again please
    stay at home or in front of the stadium against
    Villa. If the fans don´t go to the games, Ashley will
    learn quickly. For Ashley this club is only a money
    machine, for us supporters Newcastle is a great part
    of our life. Ashley I´m ashemed about people like you.
    Go to the mackems or go to hell, but go out of
    Newcastle.
    Howay the lads.

• Malta Mag

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

It could well be that Alan Pardew has lost the dressing room but the reasons are various. One cause is that Cabaye should have been replaced and by not doing that a clear message was sent that the season was inevitably over. Secondly don’t state that Chris Hughton got us promoted playing more attractive football because that’s simply not true. We were not known for being an attractive team, effective yes, attractive definitely not. Pardew has tried at times to open up his game plan but with injuries, and a small squad he has had to make do with what’s at his disposal.Thirdly, look at the players who are touted as being so untouchable yet simply haven’t performed. Ben Arfa has had several chances to stake his claim yet has been so ineffective it hurts.
    Lastly Id like to bring some on here down to reality when I ask who would we replace him with. If it was my choice and I’m not necessarily advocating getting rid of him, I honestly wouldn’t have a clue as no one at this time jumps off the page.