The Manager Tore Into Us – There Were Some Harsh Words Said

Mike Williamson is a good lad, and he’s been under-estimated as a player by most fans in his time at Newcastle, since he joined us for £1M from Portsmouth just over four years ago – and Mike is also down to earth and tells things as they are.

Mike Williamson heading ball

Mike Williamson – no excuses

And that’s exactly what the 6’4″ defender has done today, as he has been interviewed, and he says there are just no excuses for the display on Wednesday night when we were ripped apart 4-0 by Tottenham and there seemed no fight or spirit in the side at all – and that’s never good.

This is what big Mike said:

“We’ve let the manager down, we’ve let the club down, we’ve let the fans down and we’ve let ourselves down,”

“Sometimes, the fans can be a little bit unfair but you can’t say that over the past few games. They are justified. We completely understand their anger and upset. Believe me, the players in there are feeling exactly the same.

“Every now and again when it is necessary, the manager tears into us and there needed to be some harsh words said because he felt it wasn’t good enough from the players out there on the pitch.”

“It might have come across to the fans that there was no heart and that’s a disappointing thing but what we have had at this club in years gone by, is a reaction and so when things like this do happen, the lads pull together.”

“We have players missing. A lot of quality missing. But the fact is that we need the fight, the spirit and the quality.”  “For the next week and a half, we’re going to have to work on that and make sure that we do get a good reaction from this difficult period because the lads really are hurting.”

“We have let the manager down. We have let the fans down and we have let ourselves down so it is all about getting back to the basics now.”

It would have been interesting to hear what Alan Pardew said in the dressing room, but some of our better players like Moussa Sissoko, Tim Krul, Papiss Cisse, Ben Arfa and others have all under-performed in the last month or so.

And it doesn’t give us a good feeling about our strength in depth either – because when the big players like Colo, Tiote and Remy are missing we are simply not the same side – and that’s got to be worrying.

But the only thing Alan Pardew and the players have to do is to get back on track – get back to basics – and fans need to see a fully committed performance from all Newcastle players against Aston Villa a week on Sunday.

That’s simply the minimum requirement.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• geordie157

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Santon needs to be dropped for a few games.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Hurrah! Back to basics again!

Willo is talking my language 🙂

• Belfast

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Hey fence

Still in the states ?

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Santon’s been one of our best players. Dummett was shocking yesterday. We missed Santon in the second hald.

• MacToon

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Good luck Swemag although you may well not see this.

I do hope Bills-son’s absence is some footballing pride related absence or holidaying rather than health related.

That’ll be Belfast’s super injunction kicking in 😉

“SECOND hand girlie account……:) ” Did surprise me for a second.

• jasper

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM

As Ash pointed out a few threads back when there was a long injury break the Spurs players crowded round Sherwood, ours were standing out on the pitch not even talking to one another. The same scene also occurred in the Mackem game, exactly the same. And others before it.
    I don’t think he has the changing room. The only reason that it hasn’t blown up as there is no leader there to crystallise the discontent – a Shearer, Nolan, suchlike.
    We can’t get rid of Ashley until he decides to go, we can’t buy anyone this season. The only thing we can do to improve is to shift AP.

• Belfast

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Bill son posts under a new name now I think.

same picture on the mobile site, nearly sure it’s him.

• Toon-Prodigy

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Welcome back Colo.

Boy have you been missed.

With him and Remy and also Gouffran back with a game under his belt now performances will improve. Our bench will be a little stronger for it also.

Anyone know the timescale on Tiote’s injury? When is he back?

• geordie157

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Kets

I think many will disagree there, Santon has been well below par for some time. Haidara or Dummett should get a some starts, Santon is the only left back I’ve seen that never tackles anyone.

• MacToon

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:50 PM

I seen that, he was adamant it wasn’t him though but never been back on again lol…… back to Detective Belfast lol

• Belfast

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Dc Belfast is well known for having the skills to detect these things Mactoon.

You should know this, always living in my shadow. 😉

• Graeme

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Ibiza – you cant come to Nigeria in your VW Passionwagon with CYRIL posted down the side.

Mate, I have a rep to uphold lol

• Belfast

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I swear I looked at that picture well over a year ago, and thought, is that actually bill son in that picture lol

That’s why I noticed straight away.

• bettyswallocks

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM

B and B

This is a blog about NUFC and football. It is not a vehicle for you to air your profanities.

The lads make a lot of allowances for you on here but I find you tedious and boring.

• Ciaran

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Belfast

Final post before bedtime. If you’re going to make Richard O’Brien references, could you make them Rocky Horror related, because I still have nightmares about the Crystal Maze. Dream I’m gonna get stuck and never be able to get out…

• MacToon

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:59 PM

You do cast a big enough shadow though Belfats 😉

I do remember seeing it once when on my mobile, quite a distinctive picture I seem to remember 😉 Wonder if we’ll ever see the pic again!

• SpecialK

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Bettyswallocks

That’s because most of the “lads” on here can’t talk to women in real life as women make them wee their pants. Even ugly ones.

• SpecialK

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM

She is a boring sod.

• Ciaran

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I always keep saying final post, but felt compelled really.

I don’t think allowances are made because BandB is a woman. In fact I don’t think any allowances are made whatsoever. BandB is an excellent poster with some good ideas. Why does gender have to come into the equation?

• MacToon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Happy Birthday KK 🙂

• Ciaran

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM

MacToon

Took the words right out of me mouth! Happy Birthday King Kevin!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:11 AM

MacToon,
    Regarding Bills, very well said.
    BandB,
    In case you read in the morning, it would be unfair for me to name my favourite poster, but you are in my top one.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM

bettyswallocks,
    The lads make a lot of allowance for BandB, wtf would you know, you hardly post much anyway and when you do it’s drivel, and besides 70% on here don’t even know BandB is a woman anyway.

• Belfast

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Richard was a bit weird Ruddy tbh

No reflection on you by the way.

You just look like him.

I think that could be a good move for you, if Richard is now an alcoholic and can’t do a new series, if they ever decide to bring it back. 😉

• Ciaran

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Keep saying I’m going to bed but the magnetic pull of this blog is compelling…

Belfast

Well if all else fails I can do the doppleganger circuit and see if I can win Richard O’Brien lookalike competitions haha

• Belfast

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Yes mactoon

It was a stocky guy with grey hair, a face that you know you’ve seen before.

🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Ciaran,
    What happened about the proposed sit in last night ?

• Belfast

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Yeah I’m off to Richard.

Goodnight

• Ibizatoon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Richard O’Brian…ha ha

Belfast…You really are a nasty piece of work…love it.

• Schwefelberg

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Jail

Bill-son turned to stone.

He was warned not to look at the Medusa Gorgon Ashley.

Just when Cabaye was sold ..he looked again and saw something so ugly and disgusting he went insane — then turned to stone.

Poor guy we tried…

• bettyswallocks

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Jail for Ashley

Its not a gender issue, this is a football blog not a place to try and be more intellectual than everyone else.

If you love her that much get a room.

• MacToon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Aye, Small World ehh Belfast 😉

• IITianToon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM

@Ibiza/Dok I think we should start having our sane discussions in the evening US time once all the local folk have gone to bed what say ? 😀

• Ibizatoon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM

betty…Does that mean people should dumb down their intellect to that of a football blog?

You’re right though, it’s not about genders, more about a general level or respect. If someone is offended by something they should and usually do air it.

IITian…How long have you been in the states for now? Honestly, how many sane people have you met? 🙂

• BandB

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Betty,

I have been seriously attacked twice in about 18 months.
    Both times it has been in the very late or very early hours.
    Both times the person has used the strange word “profanities” to describe my input.
    This time I am still awake. And I have a long memory.
    I am happy for you to make any allowances you like for me in any future conversations we may have.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Oh and Graeme…My VW Passionwagon with CYRIL posted down the side can only do good for your reputation!

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I would actually vote for Santon as the player of the season so far. He may have had a poor first half against Spurs but he was the best player for us by a mile against Chelsea last week. One of my favourite players.

• BandB

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM

SpecialK

You too.
    Me too.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Kets…Player of the season will be a tough one this year.

As it stands, on footballing merit, I’d have to choose someone who no longer plays for us.

I might have to throw Williamsons name out there tbh. Might not be spectacular, but he’s pretty much the only consistent one in the team. Maybe Debuchy?

• IITianToon

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:43 AM

The worrying thing was certain players just gave up!!! Like the Cisse wayward pass to Benny. This is unacceptable!