The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We Feel Very Ashamed And Disappointed For The Fans

8:32 am, Thursday, February 13th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Yoan Gouffran is probably one of Newcastle’s players who understands fully what makes Newcastle fans’ tick – and he was very quick last night to put out the message that the players are ashamed of what happened at St. Jame’s Park last night, when we lost our fifth consecutive game 4-0 at home to Tottenham, who won for the first time in nearly 10 years.

yoan gouffran norwich

Yoan Gouffran - players feel ashamed

Newcastle’s season is fast becoming another disaster like last season, and this is what a chagrin Gouffran told the Newcastle web-site immediately after the game:

“We are really disappointed, downbeat and feel very ashamed, especially for the fans” “We have got injuries and suspensions but we don’t want to use that as an excuse.”

“Everything went wrong. From the first minute we just couldn’t get into the match and then we conceded pretty soon after. “We paid for that and couldn’t get going.”

“Lloris made three or four good saves at 2-0 and if we had scored then maybe we would have had a chance to get back into the game and change the outcome. But that wasn’t to be and we wouldn’t have deserved it.”

“For me, it was good to be back as I was getting a bit sick of waiting to be back to full fitness.  “Physically I perhaps wasn’t at my best but that will come with games and hopefully I can keep on playing and help the team get back to winning games again.”

“I’m just sorry for today. It wasn’t good enough from any of us. We have to improve a lot before the Aston Villa game, and we will. We will work hard every day to change this situation.”

In fact Gouffran along with Sammy Ameobi were probably Newcastle’s best players last night – but that wasn’t hard to do – with too many of Newcastle players seemingly giving up the fight in the second half.

That is completely unacceptable at a club like Newcastle United, which for the second season running is being humiliated by some inept performances on the football field.

This cannot go on. :(

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Yoan Gouffran

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Well done Gouffran for coming forward and admitting fault of the players. I remember once upon a time only Warren Barton had the courage to face the music when we had a bad game.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM

cacthy

who is PDC? Heres my list.

Fatih Terim
    Mircea Lucescu
    Vanderlei Luxemburgo
    Marcelo Bielsa
    Guus Hiddink
    Carlos Bianchi
    Marcello Lippi
    Ottmar Hitzfeld
    Andrea Mandorlini
    Rudi Garcia

Marcelino from villareal…would be my pick, got them playing well and pushing top 4 just after promotion.

• 3 Sinner // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:34 AM

No offense Ed but Gouffran was absolutely poor yesterday, as was the rest of the team.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Repost,
    catchy,
    Of course players have been bought, football clubs can’t get by without them, but he has been backed sporadically and not when it was time to push on, had a CB, RB, and decent winger/striker been brought in that summer of 2012 along with the momentum of the season before and EL football it would have been fair to judge him, however we have always been five decent players short and remain five players short of a squad capable of pushing on, lets see how Mick Harford or Brian McDermott gets on with Cisse and HBA.

• 5 G // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM

TS, impressive list, don’t know if we could attract many of them, and there’s a couple on there that have lost the plot in my opinion (Luxermbergo / Terim). I would still prefer Sean Dyche, I think he’s the best managerial prospect in Europe right now, and deserves a chance to prove it.

• 6 estechco // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Sinner: I have to disagree. Although he looked a little rusty (which he was the first to concede), I thought he was about the only player on the pitch that looked close to his usual form.
    Was my MOTM by some distance

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM

PDC,
    OMG, the man will never work in top flight football again and Laudrup was backed quite nicely during last summer but couldn’t seem to cut the mustard, I know he had injuries but can you imagine if he hadn’t of been backed in the summer and had injuries do you think he would have managed sseven wins in X amount of games.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

TS,
    You’ve missed Guardiola and Herbert Chapman.

• 9 stan anderson // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Oh my, i just read Mick Harfords name and the alarm bells started to go off.He would bring back JFK ,oh no.

• 10 kt97toonarmy // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM

In my opinion i think the wrong man has came out with the apology. I hope we do improve. We need a goal desperatly. Cas to b honest like over the last 7 games we have looked like a team in the bottom 3

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I haven’t been on as much lately, has anyone heard from Bills, I’m a little bit worried about him.

• 12 Markaccus // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Repost

Pardew is not a top level manager.
    While he is not to blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong on the pitch, i would still like a more attacking manager (but not a gung ho crazy man) to come in and make us play on the front foot. I would also want someone who can do it for more than one season. For me this rules out Blog favorite Laudrup. Also, if Pardew goes now, or in summer, we have to remember that Fat controller is still here. Can he be relied on to bring in a manager, rather than a drinking buddy?

• 13 Markaccus // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM

And well said Goofy.

• 14 kt97toonarmy // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM

• 15 theartfuldodger // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Problem is that I no longer believe anyone at this club.

Actions speak louder than words.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM

g

dyche is good but can’t see him leaving as they are 2nd in the league and look like he’ll have a crack in the prem with them….guess we could temp them though/

Jail

Some are a bit unrealistic but looking at the clubs they currently manage there is no reason we couldn’t get them in.

• 17 sparky55 // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I think a fair way to judge Pardews performance as newcastle manager is his actual record…2nd worst in the last 30 years and he’s broken every bad record the book had to offer….so we all know deep down he’s a duffer irrespective of how many protect him based on the ‘regime’ above him.

Putting that aside…(all ancient history and all that) I think we have to judge the current squad in relation to other premier team squads, create a league table for squads then see where we actually are in relation to the strength of the squad.

Only real issue with this is we got 37 points with Cabaye…and now we don’t have him.

My Squad strength league table

Man City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Man U
    Newcastle
    Everton
    Southampton

The rest are immaterial as we defo have much better squad than the rest.

So that would suggest Martinez is punching above his weight, so to is Potchy, so to is Rogers…whereas Pardew and Moyes are doing pretty sh!te.

But it’s not just the fact we’re under-performing as a club, IT’S THE WAY WE PLAY FOOTBALL…and that my learned friends is the problem…with the squad we have we should be higher up the league…and the reason we’re not has nothing whatsoever to do with Ashley…and everything to do with Pardew’s coaching abilities. He picks the team…he draws the names out of the hat and plays them in all the wrong positions and plays those who are obviously out of form…he decides on formations and tactics…he has total control of the training ground and everything else to do with actual footballing matters…so that being the case why are some people on this blog still protecting the worst manager this club has ever seen.

I think deep down we all know if Pardew had this record anywhere else he would have been sacked a long time ago so the the big question is why…and please don’t come back to me saying ‘continuity’ because that’s just bollox

I really don’t know the answer…but one things for sure…something is very bent here and one day I’m sure it’ll come out…and in the meanwhile we the fans are made to suffer and will continue to suffer.

…but at least we know if relegation threatens the owner will spend to preserve our premiership status…but if progress threatens then he’ll sell our best players to bring us back into line with the plan

• 18 Markaccus // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I would have taken Profesional Darts Championship, but he blotted his copy book at the makems, and i think his english managerial career might be over.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

markaccus,
    The answer is no, the person who advised him on Wise, JfK and Llambias would, and that’s himself, he would get somebody to scroll down the list of former managers of the year and bell them, we could end up with George Burley.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM

TS,
    Herbert Chapman died in 1934, this is my point.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I hope we keep cisse he’s been good this season

• 22 Transfer Sage // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I know people say Ashley knows nothing about football but he watches a lot of our games, so must have some interest if he sits through that.

So do you not think he must have a bit of sense to look at other teams who do well, even if he just looks at managers who won things recently, sure he can use google.

• 23 sweendog // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Pardew is an inept manager .. you can’t explain a 4 nil lose away without taking blame for formation and tactics .. we only lost 1 player for gods sake .. the sooner him and Ashley get out the better .. I worry about the rest of the season with these clowns in charge, relegation is still a possibility, faint but true

• 24 mindcompressor // Feb 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Gouffy has balls at least. He was coming back after injury so obviously it was his best game and guys on the pitch didn’t help as well… I would like to hear what Sissoko or Cisse got to say. They look more talented than Gouffy, but Yoan do much better work. I would like to see him 1 or 2 matches as CF and Remy on wing.

• 25 ronjohno // Feb 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM

How many times do we have to listen to this type of apology.
    Do they draw straws to see who apologises next.

I do not envy players wages if they are good and putting a shift in but this lot should be on the minimum wage when they are playing like this.

• 26 Phil K // Feb 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM

One of the few players that care ? Well, I’m not totally convinced about that. Easy to say, we need him and others to DO

previous post: Newcastle Have 12 Games To Restore The Geordie Pride