Mike Ashley – One Step Forward – Two Steps Back

Rob Lee has commented on Newcastle owner Mike Ashley today in the local press, and Rob mentions that Mike seems to take one step forward followed by two steps back – and we never seem to make much progress with Mike Ashley as the leader of Newcastle United.

mike ashley

Mike Ashley – smile it’s not that bad – on second thoughts  – maybe it is 😀

The 48-year-old former Newcastle midfielder has this to say about the Newcastle owner:

“He just seems to take one step forward and then two steps backwards.” “He is a very clever man and he runs the club well on the business side, and his other business is booming.”

“Is he one of these he is going to plough millions and millions in and make us challenge for the title? No.”  “But sometimes, it’s better the devil you know. I know the fans are not happy with him, but you look at Birmingham, you look at Cardiff – it could be worse.”

“Unless you can find someone who is a Newcastle billionaire who loves football – and they are very few and far between – you are talking foreign owners.”  “Sometimes you want to change and sometimes, you can change for the worse.”

“I’d just like to see him investing more. He just seems to annoy the fans and I don’t know why he does it.”  “He seems to get back on their side and then he comes up with something like changing the name of the ground.”

“It just seems weird. I don’t know sometimes what the thinking is behind it.”  “He seems to be quite happy with them being a Premier League team. They are not really getting into relegation trouble and not getting near the Champions League or progressing, and he seems quite happy with that.”

There’s no doubt that Ashley has pout Newcastle into a good financial position, but he keeps making some dumb decisions, and we think Mike himself would admit that – the latest being the appointment of his pal Joe Kinnear as the Director of Football last June, which was a complete and utter disaster.

If the owner would commit to ploughing all the profits straight back into the club, Newcastle could be in good shape as far as the team goes – because we will be coming into big money starting in May.

But Ashley seems to have trouble spending greenbacks – but to his credit he’s ploughing money into the Benton Training facilities in a year or so – and he installed underground heating at the Benton training complex shortly after Alan Pardew first arrived.

If he would  commit to spending the profits we could even be in decent shape – but Mike will never change – and he will never talk to the fans or even have a good relationship with them.

That’s unfortunate – but that’s the way it is.

And we are just a little disappointed that Mike isn’t more ambitious  for Newcastle,  because Alan Pardew has said Mike wants to be successful in everything he does, and certainly Sports Direct is becoming very successful under his leadership.

The sad part is that Newcastle United isn’t. 🙁

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ciaran

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Rob, I love you, but don’t perpetuate this stupid “better the devil you know” nonsense!

• catchy in norway

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM

not sticking up for Ashley here

but

he blew the lid on the replica shirt price fixing, he was honest about that

when you read about his inner circle, I does not change much, he has the same trusted people around him giving him what seems good advice as they have helped make him a billionair,

I just think the network of football people he has advising him are doing it for the right reasons, I think people like wise and jimenez have now falling out over money, JK has now been pushed away, , I think the last bad one is pardew

touch wood , he gets it right with the next manager

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Mr tuff

That was a pretty pathetic post aimed at me.

I didn’t buy anything. But my wife did. And she can spend her money wherever she likes.

My hatred for Mike Ashley runs very deep.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I cancelled my season ticket a year and a half ago. And I ain’t going back until he’s gone.

• beefman13

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM

The players need a nice warm weather break, somewhere like Dubai????? oh they havnt been a way for a while ( well a month) i wouldnt even look any of them in the face at the moment, make me heave the lot of them.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Ernest Hemigway – not really a pathethic post -but entirely accurate. I am relieved you did not contribute anything into Mr Tubbs coffers but you good lady did. Whilst it is perfectly acceptable for individual to shop where they want — I will now amend my original post and withdraw my remark that you are contributing to Mr Tubbs wealth. Now to read -I see that your family are contributing to Mr Tubbs wealth.

• mag

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Ashley 15th richest in the UK, who due to his total disregard for the club and fans has two strikers on loan no playmaker a division one calibre manager. Yet he plays the hard up card ably assisted by his PR man Pardew, disgraceful.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

wolfshead – previous post and link. I checked out your link and found an advertisement for a “shell suit costume”.
    What type of clothing are these -are they an item of “sporting clothing” one uses when going to the gymnasium.
    Much prefer some nice tweeds and a Barbour jacket -seems much more respectable and appropriate when one lives in the countryside.

• ErnestHemingway

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Tuff the puff

If my wife wants to buy a short skirt, she can buy it wherever she wants! It’s Valentines day and I’m going to smash her back doors in.

And I’m sure the 15.99 she spent will swell porkies coffers considerably. You never know, it might buy us a new centre forward. But it’s not enough to buy you brains. Or good looks. Or a lass.

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM

tuffers

are you trying to bully ernest off here like you did with bills son

• Markaccus

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Ernest.

Very colourful. 😀

• Mister Tuff

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ernest Hemingway – as you have cancelled your ST -I withdraw my remarks.

• stan anderson

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Just speaking to a pal of mine,Mackem season ticket holder for eons.
    Asked if he was going to Wembley ,yes he answered,but was more concerned with not getting relegation.
    Suppose we should count are blessings then,we,re just about safe,fingers crossed.
    Who wants a trip to Wembley anyway.ME PLEASE,before i go to meet my maker would be nice.

• toonluvva

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM

ED,

SportsDirect is getting bigger under Mr Ashley, but given his appalling performance at NUFC it makes you wonder who really makes the decisions at SD.

• Markaccus

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM

So now fans are having a go at others for where they shop. Well, let me tell you…. Unless i win the F#cking lottery, the rate i go through trainers, i have to biy the hardest wearing ones i can get for he lowest price. Unfortunately you need a half decent make, not that Deichmans Victory cr@p. Therefore i have to get them from Fat F#ck.com. Its nice to see that somone is rich enough to shop elsewhere, but just in case you didn’t notice, there has recently been a double dip (or was it tripple?) recession!

• catchy in norway

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM

• Mister Tuff

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Ernest – my good man -what all this Tuff the puff. I don’t think there is any need for that damn cheek -you need a good thrashing to restore some manners. I’m no tadger tugger.

Wolfshead @10 – please explain how I’m supposed to have bullied bills -I’ll allow you a bit of extra time to reply -in order that your imagination can run freely -again.

• kt97toonarmy

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Areet lads

Enjoyed getting abused off other supporters for the crap weve had to put up with past few weeks? Hopefully when the villa game comes around we have alot more players fit to play. My team for villa next weekend

———krul———–
    Debuchy–mbiwa–willo–haidara
    ———-colo——————
    —–sissoko—–marvaux——
    Benni——-de jong——-remy

Some of you may tear me head off for marvaux being on or colo being cdm but id rather have colo there over santon. Any day. Plus marvaux can take set pieces which we need desperatley

• stan anderson

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I am cancelling my bus pass as a protest to Ashleys ownership.
    I only use it on home match days to take in the atmosphere as the fans travel into town on the bus.
    The anticipation of it all is wonderful.
    Would,nt dream of getting on the 5.30 bus back mind.
    To many people trying to top themselves.

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM

tuffers

i heard you have left him a broken man lol

• Mister Tuff

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:53 PM

wolfshead @17 – that’s more like it -a country gentleman relaxing after the shoot. Some very nice clothing -you may not be a lost cause after all.

• 70TWO

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Ciaran

It depends if you are a glass half empty, or a glass half full kinda guy. Things could be better, or they could be worse. Do you choose to be miserable or happy. Is Ashley the greatest owner ever – no, is he the worst – no. Are there things wrong with the club – yes, are we playing in the highest echelon of the national league – yes.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Wolfshead -the last I heard of him -was that he was going to attack a handbag wielder with a fully laden shopping bag.

• mag

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

@23 if the greedy owner spent the money on the players nobody would be complaining. All we get is money’s tight off Pardew, when it plainly isn’t the guy has the finances to compete with anyone but he’s not interested in making Newcastle United a Premier league force just a farce.

• wolfshead@toon

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM

@26

mmmm ahem > clears throat – bluuuuuuuue is the colour…

• Ciaran

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

70Two

It’s nothing to do with glass being half-empty or half-full. It is about perceiving the facts as they are.

If you choose to deny the empirical evidence that we are going nowhere under Ashley while he streamlines to club in order to maximise his profits, all in the name of ‘being happy’ then more fool you.

I choose to question every decision he makes as an owner. I choose to critically examine every transfer window to see if signings (or lack thereof) indicate whether we are moving forward or backwards. I look at the quality of the staff, the strength of our youth teams and Academy set up to see if there is investment and progress to develop our own talent and I look at way in which the owner does not communicate with the fans and the fact that he has ridden roughshod over club legends who dared question his model as demonstration of his contempt for us as fans.

But by all means pal, be “happy”. They do say ignorance is bliss.

• Rainrix

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Mike ashley partying? The horror, the horror. Lets not forget his biggest crime against humanity……

• Ciaran

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Also, it’s flawed logic to judge the merits/deficiencies of Ashley’s ownership compared to others. However, I’d like to point out that while Sir John Hall had his faults – some would say many faults – we would never have made the WORLD RECORD signing of Alan Shearer.

If memory serves we correctly, he was a pretty canny player…

• sparky55

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

lets hope there’s no glass in that back door!

• IndieGeordie

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Ok! Among the doom and gloom, here is something on a lighter note…Jose Mourinho’s animal guide to the Premier League!

Newcastle — A French zebra that sniffed too much glue and now has mental trouble. 😀

Please read for the rest of it…

• mag

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Mike Ashley is so rich he didn’t even bother with due diligence when he purchased the club,that sends out a money’s no object message loud and clear as he knew once the tv revenue and player sales such as Carroll and Cabaye along with Newcastle Uniteds high profile image the cash would flow which it has and will continue to under Ashleys. Austerity drive. Employing the likes of Pardew Carr and a third rate coaching staff will ensure that.

• toonking

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

@26
    celebrating the way fans are criticizing the club.

cashley lambsarse JFK and wise lets all celebrate the fact we have another year of free advertisement and premier league money while them clowns blame pardew for the rest of the bad results.

• thejokethatisnufc

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Joke club

• ToonDarnSarf

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I believe this was said several months ago…booooring…

And one step forward, two steps back would mean that we’re moving backwards? Surely only 2 seasons were backwards steps and we’re in better shape (finally) than when he took over?

• toonking

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

he saw that we had an excellent start to the season and as fan were so critical of pardew last season when their was a problem with injuries then one player being sold won’t make a difference to the way the fans react to bad results.

all Ashley wants is to finish 17th or better and what he doesn’t want is Europe as he has learned already that Europa league means teams have to spend lots and that doesn’t give enough money in return, as for CL well that is very hard to reach

• mag

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Pardew should be blamed he’s the alleged manager it’s his job to pull Ashley up short about signings. Pardew happily accepts all the accolades so he should be held to account for the current crisis. Pardew must be aware of how rich Ashley is and yet he comes on about how Newcastle United can’t compete with other clubs total rubbish and he should be ashamed for peddling that myth.

• Ben3arfa

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

• 70TWO

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Cairan / mag

I really don’t want to argue with you as I agree with your critical perception of the club and Ashley. But I do not support the idea we are not progressing, show me the ’empirical evidence’. I live my life in sometimes crippling negativity, but I do try to compensate on here and offer a productive solution. I am not challenging you for the sake of being obstinate but rather for the justification to your opposition of ‘balancing the books’ and making the club self sustaining?

1 2 3 9