The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Standards – I Won’t Stand For Anything Less

9:49 pm, Saturday, February 22nd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Tomorrow is a very important game for Newcastle – simply because we have lost the last five home games on the trot, only one win in the last nine games, and another loss would simply be tragic.

alan pardew tottenham 4-0

Alan Pardew – Newcastle manager

And after the simply pathetic and gutless performance last time out against Tottenham, Alan Pardew has laid down the law to a number players, and some will not be in the starting line-up tomorrow, and two of those are probably Davide Santon and Ben Arfa – although it appears Ben Arfa will not be fit for the game.

This year Newcastle fans have lost confidence in the way the club is being run – but there’s nothing like wins to raise the spirits  on Tyneside, so a win tomorrow would be  great – fantastic.

And some players are playing for their careers on Tyneside, and it seems that quite a number could be sold in the summer.

Alan has talked about players now playing for their futures at Newcastle:

“Yes, I think some are.” “Others not so, but I am still looking for a level of performance and consistency that will maybe get them into a World Cup squad and make sure they are a regular next season at this football club.”

“I can accept defeat, I have no problem with that, but there are ways and means to get a defeat.” “That wasn’t the way or the means to get a defeat at this football club and I won’t accept it.”

“I just thought it was important to remind players of the responsibility they have, no matter how comfortable we are in the league, that there’s a certain standard at this football club that we expect, and we didn’t reach that by any stretch of the imagination.”

“I made it clear that I won’t stand for it. That will be reflected in the selection of the team.”

Newcastle could well have Loic Remy, Cheick Tiote and Fab Coloccini all back in the starting line-up tomorrow, and it could be the strongest side we can put out on the pitch this season, after Yohan Cabaye left us last month.

The fans need to see two things tomorrow – a 100% fully committed performance from every single Newcastle player – and a win.

If we can get those two by 3:30 pm tomorrow afternoon – then things at Newcastle could even start to look up – just a little bit.

And there could even be more of these :D around.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Davide Santon · Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Premier League

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 welshgeordie9 // Feb 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Well it’s about time we had some luck

• 2 jimmysmith // Feb 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM

A win against Villa and an eighth place finish would give Pards a bare pass for the season. Ashley gets a D for Dunce, after having slipped recently from his usual steady C for Cheap.

• 3 welshgeordie9 // Feb 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM

GeordieTwo

Did you get good advice when you was talking to yourself

• 4 GeordieTwo // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Yes it went well welshie. A feisty debate, some hand wringing, hurt feelings, but eventually I sorted myself out mate!

• 5 Harley // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Hopefully tomorrow can kick start a good run and we can have a decent last quarter of the season.

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I’ll be watching you alan to see whether you keep your hands in your pockets and leave the players to get on with it as you usually do. No doubt when everything’s going tits up, you’ll turn to stoney for a clue. You’ll both scratch your heads and you’ll write something in your note book. It won’t be anything important of course because if it were, you would try to communicate it there and then.

• 7 welshgeordie9 // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

GeordieTwo

You’re a crazy Geordie there must be loads of people like you up there, I want to visit

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Gt…you kill me mate :D lol

…well they are both architects; one of them left the band to pursue a career as a urban planner and the other one is a full time member of the band!

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM

News flash!

Apparently we have standards! Did you guys know that? I don’t think I got that memo ;)

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Pair of balls is what the players and manager want

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Pardew you need to start with the man in the mirror!

…be a leader and the rest will follow!

• 12 GeordieTwo // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Thanks lads. I have to go now but I’ll be back to discuss the match tomorrow mates. :)

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Take care GT!

…be good to the budgies will you ;)

• 14 jimmysmith // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM

If I was ranking our top 12 most influential including the manager in terms of quality and input, it’d go like this-

1 Collocini
    2 Tiote
    3 Debuchey
    4 Remy
    5 Krul
    6 Pardew
    7 Sissoko
    8 Gouffran
    9 Santon
    10 Anita
    11 Williamson
    12 De Jong

• 15 firebug666 // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Personally I thought AP had done everything right to lose the games, he should give himself a pat on the back. “if I’m being honest”

• 16 toon22 // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

lol

wtf

• 17 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Pardew no 6! Take a lie down, fella. De-stress.

Watch pardew tomorrow. See how animated and motivational he gets. This assumes you’ll be going to the match of course. With a statement like that, I seriously doubt you’ve seen pardew live.

Remember, if he moves on tv, the cameras will show it because it’s a rare collectors item. Scribbling in his book doesn’t count as a performance in my world.

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM

If a player crosses the line, there’s no way back, 100%. He will be banished, a little bit, if I’m honest. He will definitely not play again for me and will miss a couple of games for sure.

• 19 jimmysmith // Feb 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Well, ideally you’d want your manager to be higher up the list, but I wouldn’t put him down as the liability others doubtless would, in consideration of the horseshit that passes for upper management at the club.

previous post: Wise Words From The Newcastle Captain