There will be a number of players who will leave Newcastle in the summer, and for some of them, they can now do very little about it, even if they want to stay at Newcastle.
Gabby Obertan - one player who will definitely leave this summer
There are two groups of players – those for which it seems a lost cause at Newcastle and those where their performances in the final 11 games of the season could save their careers.
Here are the players who we think will be leaving Newcastle at the end of the season – whatever happens in the final 11 games:
- Loic Remy – will sign for a Champions League club – like Arsenal
- Gabby Obertan – not good enough, although he showed decent form in his first season for us
- Sylvain Marveaux – not given much of a chance this season – terrible Tottenham performance could be decider
- Jonas Gutierrez – fell out of favor at the club for whatever reason
- Dan Gosling – out of contract – never made it on Tyneside
- Shola Ameobi – out of contract after 14 years in first team
- Romain Amalfitano – never good enough
- Mehdi Abeid – very likely to leave, but he’s done well in Greece – deserves a chance in pre-season
And here are players who can still save their careers if the can impress over the last 11 games – otherwise they will be on their way in the summer
- Luuk de Jong – has to impress to get a deal at Newcastle – must score some goals
- Ben Arfa – his performance against Tottenham could have tipped the balance – and he could be sold in the summer
- Papiss Cisse – what has happened to our Senegal striker? Papiss cannot seem to score with the best of chances
- Davide Santon – had two stinkers against Sunderland and Tottenham – could go back to Italy in the summer
- Steven Taylor – has not played well when given his chance this season – local lad may seek pastures anew
In the second list, we’d like to see as many as possible do very well through the end of the season, and we’ve taken a special shining to Luuk de Jong, who seems not only a good player, but just a smashing lad too.
Not on either list is Fab Coloccini, and whether he leaves ort not depends a lot on what his personal situation - and we don’t know what it is with his family who are in Buenos Aries – but we hope the captain stays on Tyneside through the summer of 2014 – we need him
And we’d love to see Luuk and Loic as the front two – they both have skill and movement – they could be a really cracking duo for the Magpies.
And if only we could sign Loic Remy permanently – yes it would take a miracle – but I’m told miracles do sometimes happen.
Here’s hoping (and praying).
What do you think?
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+