Newcastle One Of The Biggest Clubs In The Country

Fabricio Coloccini came back into the side to lead Newcastle to our first win since the 3-1 win at West Ham last month, and that was possible because of a fantastic performance and two great goals from Yohan Cabaye, in his final appearance for Newcastle, and he is now at PSG.

Fabricio Coloccini +XAiDgHivPe-m

Fabricio Coloccini – Newcastle one of the biggest clubs in the country

Loic Remy has said that Newcastle have not given up on qualifying for the Europa League this season, and Fabricio Coloccini has said that motivation in the Newcastle dressing room for the rest of the season is not a problem:

“People might say there is not a lot to play for in the rest of the season, but that is not correct. Motivation is never a problem.”

“All of us in the dressing room know about Newcastle’s history, we are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the country. That is what we are fighting for when we go on the pitch.”

Newcastle are in 8th position in the league and a full 5 points behind both Everton and Tottenham, but the Europa League is an exhausting competition, and there’s even more games to play than in the Champions League.

That’s because some clubs who don’t qualify for the knockout rounds of the Champions League, drop down to the Europa League, which is bizarre to say the least.

But the Europa League seems to be the competition that Newcastle can qualify for – with the chances of being a top four club again in England being very very slim in the next few seasons.

What do you think?

Comments welcome..

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• andyctoon

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Nice to hear that some players still wsnt to fight for this club. Altho it wud b nice to get europa again it also scares me as we are ment t be having a clear out in the summer but will those players be replaced. Which would mean tiny squad with too much football. And we all know what happend last time!

• geordie157

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Agree, the summer is huge for us!!! So many players could/will be leaving.

we can effectively say Jonas, Marv, Obertan, Shola will be gone. Remy is very unlikely. Gosling unless he performs miracles is gone. Maybes of Colo, Santon, Ben Arfa and Cisse will be moved on. Plus a few fringe players like Amalfitano will go.

Will we sign 10 players, no chance. If De Jong does well I think he’ll be signed, think him and Remy could make a nice partnership given the chance.

• Belfast

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I belfast hereby declare this blog closed until further notice.

Goodnight and god bless you all.

• Belfast

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Geordie 157 get out, we’re closed for business.

• AMEOBI

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Ameobi has re-opened the blog.

• Belfast

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM

You can’t re open it without the keys Ameobi.

• toon1707

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM

We have to try to get into the Europa league I know it’s an exhausting competition but what is the point of even being in the premier league if we are not playing to win every game and finish as high as possible

• Sav

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:36 AM

What would be great is for Capt. Colo to commit now to stay next season. It might make a few others rethink as most of the talk right now is of departures. That doesn’t make a big finish easy to accomplish.

• lesh

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Belfast // Feb 25, 2014 at 12:17 .

Goodnight and god bless you too. Missin’ ya already.

Now don’t ferget, the blog’s now closed -?

• andyctoon

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:24 AM

I think colo will b gone as he wants t be home. I really hope ben arfa stays as i think he has the potential to be class! Can just see him leaving thn turning out yo be amazing. Shola can go. So can cisse. Dnt c much in de jong and also i think if mavaux gets more games he will improve.

• Santon03

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:59 AM

if more than 10 players gone this summer, who will be upgraded to 1st team?
    Campbell, Vuckic, Armstrong, Streete, Bigi, Good, Tav, Fergie, Abeid and maybe Mbabu and Kemen as well. That will be around 8 to 10 players to replace those who will be gone.
    So in summer maybe 2 or 3 new signings, this could be the plan for next season.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Santon…that looks like the same plan that almost got us relegated!

…isn’t Bigi already a first team player?

• Santon03

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:06 AM

If MA asked me for 1 player who should I get, I would say Nagatomo.
    As a LB/LWB he is the best in the world, he always sprint forward and back the whole game. He has scored 5 goals and 6 assists, he is good technical player and made great crosses. He is also vice captain of Inter. His work rate is AMAZING.

• Santon03

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:08 AM

Jesper

Not sure Bigi is 1st team or reserve tbh.
    I hardly seen them play when we almost relegated last season.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM

As much as I would love to aim for a final push on the Europa, I don’t see us getting that spot. I think all the chasing teams will drop points, but whether any will drop the extra 5 points on us is highly doubtful in my mind.

Even if we did get there, given the supposed clear out of players, I can’t see it being anything other than a disaster next year. Say we did lose 8 (although I disagree with Ed’s list, and some of the reasoning for them) but that would leave what is already a thin squad even thinner. Just seems too much of a risk given our lack of ability to get deals done since returning to the Prem.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Santon,
    The 1 player I would go out and get is Lukaku. He will be on the move this summer, and would be one hell of a way of signalling the intent of owner and management.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Lil,
    Somebody once said on here that we qualified for EL to early, I really can’t see how that would have changed our philosophy, after qualifying we only bought Anita, would that have been any different if we had of not qualified, and had the predicted top ten finish without EL have been looking likely, would the five have been bought in January, I highly doubt it, we were told the spending for that year had been done in January as to the excuse of not buying anyone during the summer, what was the excuse for January, lets face it after the disaster that ensued after we qualified for EL and the money that Mikey had to spend in the following January he’s only ever going to allow Pardew a team that can finish eigth at best with orders to play weakened cup sides.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Jail,
    I know, I can’t see us getting into the Europa, there just seemed to be a lot of chat about the possibility as i was flicking through last nights comments.

On January, I’m sure I remember reading that the club view transfer spending as a budget from Jan to Jan, not over a season. If that were the case, we should have a sizeable kitty available this summer. I won’t be holding my breath…

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Lil,
    I wouldn’t get to excited, there’ll be a long wait until the WC is over, then our targets will have bocome to expensive, then there’ll be the usual tripe of Mashley has one more window to show us the extent of his ambition, if we’re struggling we’ll miariclously find the money and people will scream I told you so Mikey has got ambition.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Jail,
    It will definitely be a long summer. I’m not sure we can get away with the minimum this year given the players set to leave. £6.5million already potentially tied up in the De Jong deal, how much more do we seriously expect to spend? We will have to replace players though, so people like Aaron Hunt on a free will definitely be of interest to the club.

All those mentioning Tom Ince as a potential free are failing to take into account the compensation Blackpool will be due if he signs for an English club, seen some estimates at £3million for that.

I think the best way to predict our incomings would be looking at out of contract and kids. That is the only way we will replace the estimated number of departures.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Lil,
    I really can’t see how it’s going to work, if the guy was serious about building a top team he could dip into the TV money in Jan to give players time to bed in, I can see a portion of debt being paid this year we might even see it decreased to 120M, although I’m still puzzled as to how it’s been 130M for all these years despite the -45M net spend and the bare minimum squad we pay.

• firebug666

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

The fans should look at ways of suing the club. When buying a ticket from the club you are entering into a contract. The club should then give you what you have paid for. But our club has and is failing to deliver the product the fans are paying for.

We want a team that is capable of challenging other teams in the Premier League, The club have failed to deliver.

We want to be able to compete on the Europa League, or Champions league. The club by their own admission have told us they are not going for Europe.

We want to challenge in the domestic cups. The club don’t as we would be playing to many games.

Therefore we are not being given the product we have paid for, we are being told simply, “we have you money, but we are not going to honour our side of the bargain, and you will have to lump it”.

If you want to force change in the club, then the idea of suing them for breaching the contract connected with the tickets, failing to give the goods or service paid for would be one way forward.

Just my opinion, but their may be some legs in this if looked at by some of the more gifted supporters who know more than I do.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Jail,
    I’m not going to get into the argument of finances, most clubs operate at a loss, so the -£45million net spend could well be swallowed up by the club expenditure, and around £11mill of the debt has been repaid.

This year though, we should turn a decent profit, and depending on the spend in the summer an even bigger profit next financial year. I’d be happy if he repaid himself half the TV and Cabaye money, and spent the rest on the club. Brings him closer to a selling position and a decent lump spent on the club. Probably unlikely though….

Getting players in Jan would have been good, but I would prefer to get the right players in this summer than buy someone who was a effectively a bandage on a broken arm. No guarantee either will happen though – and history would suggest neither.

He is out of chances for me, but there needs to be someone there to buy the club for any campaign to force him out to work, Red Bull looks possible as they said they wanted a Prem club, but they would also change the name of the club…

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Firebug,
    But what you want has nothing to do with a contract entered into with the club when buying a ticket. The contract is you get to see a football match played between 2 Premier League teams. Nothing to do with the quality, result, style etc. Particularly if you have bought a ticket before and know the product you are receiving.

The fact the club have said that they don’t want cups or Europa means that fans are well aware of the clubs aims prior to buying a ticket. So, if you still choose to buy, then that is your own choice.

Basically, provided you see the match, then their is no breach there to sue.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:42 AM

lil

If I had faith that we didn’t spend in January as we knew there would be a big shake up in the summer and a lot of our targets would be available free/cheaper then i’d accept it easily…but I don’t trust the club to buy the right players at the right time, unfortunately it has come down to that.

Still though, might as well live in hope, better than expecting the worse.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Sage,
    Although if you expect the worse, you can only ever be pleasantly surprised or as expected. Hoping for better means you can end up disappointed….

I do expect to see a few signings, but whether the squad ends up stronger/better for it is the biggest thing. I’d guess 4/5 youngsters promoted and 3/4 signings would be all we can expect.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Lil,
    We’re not worth 260M and that’s at least what he’d want if not more, he’s here for awhile yet, I got told to stop moaning about it if I didn’t want people tp constantly moan about Pardew, but the three or four posters that constantly slate Pardew, that’s all they ever post.

• firebug666

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Lil I agree to a point. I only get to some of the games as I live a long way from Newcastle and I am disabled, I have to rely on others to get me their and back.

But those of us who bought Season tickets for this season, only found out the clubs lack of ambition, and stand on Europe after the season had started. Therefore at the time of purchase they were expecting to see our club competing for a European place. The club have since said we will not be competing for cup.

Like I said it’s just a thought.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM

lil

True…but you live in misery until that one good moment (which is rare with us at this time), rather live in ignorant bliss until my hope is crushed haha.

I agree with you, I think we will see maybe 3 kids (tav, abeid and campbell come into the squad, possibly amalfitano too) and then maybe 3/4 sign on permanents.

Quite possible with players like hunt and gomis on a free, then the likes of berbatov going cheap (possibility given pardew said he wanted englished/prem based a while back)

Nothing spectacular though.

Jail

I’m sure fulham were just sold for 200mil….suppose it’s prime land in london like but still a lot for what they are.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Jail,
    We aren’t worth £260million. It depends what you are buying the club for. Red Bull want to buy a Prem club to take their brand into the Champions League. BY doing that they will increase their advertising reach in the same way that SD grew their brand. Red Bull aren’t an approved Champions League sponsor, and therefore the only way they can get brand recognition through the Champions League is by having a club called Red Bull Newcastle playing in it. Huge global advertising for them, and as it would be the company that owns the club they would directly benefit. Looking at it that way, £260million could be cheap for them.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM

lil

how much does it cost to sponsor the champions league though?

would it not be less than 260mil plus x amount to get the team there in aregular basis? Surely it would make more sense to buy a team in a less competitive league and do it that way…like france or spain?

• firebug666

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I think I read somewhere that the club is valued at £168 million, if you add to that the interest free load mashly has in the club the the £260 million would be about right.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Firebug,
    I think the club stated top 10 as the aim before the season started. I understand your point, but they could easily point to last season’s near relegation and say that anyone expecting a challenge for Europe wasn’t looking at it objectively. The contract is just to see 2 Prem teams play, it would never happen.

Man U fans could sue for no title challenge or Champs league, City fans could sue for not doing better in the Europa.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Lil,
    I posted this to you last week, I think I would take that for CL football and the likes of M Citys squad at our place, I wasn’t happy with the SD arena for Almaltino but the Red Bull Newcastle United for Silva and Ribery, bring it on.

• Slank

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Firebug

The counter argument is that the people who pay are supposed to be fans who encourage the team and not a crowd that has sworn an oath of silence.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Jail

For me I don’t want a name change but the stadium name change was never the issue, it was the excuse they changed it to the SD Arena just to ‘showcase the potential’ which is garbage…everyone knows how sponsorship works, they were just doing another thing to exploit us for free.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Sage,
    They already have other teams in European leagues, I think the point of the Prem is that it is easier to attract quality players to do well in the Champions league. They also have the advantage of potentially feeding young talent from their other clubs in Brazil, Africa, and Europe which could make it cheaper to bring players to Newcastle.

I think the issue with becoming a Champions League sponsor is that it is limited to a certain number of companies, so you are essentially looking at a one in one out scenario. This is so that the rights don’t become devalued. Most of the current sponsors are the same ones that have been around for years!

• Slank

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

A club, like a house, is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

• jimmysmith

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Hopefully De Jong will prove his worth and we’ll sign him along with a Cabella and Remy equivalent. I think that, along with a few quality kids and with also two or three of the younger ones we already have on the books brought into the first team picture, and we could have a slightly better squad next year, so long as we also hold onto our better existing regulars. That is surely doable with the readies that are there and probable considering what’s gone on in the past and also the least we should expect.

• firebug666

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Lil
    I accept you argument. I would have loved to see MA face though if 30,000 writs dropped through his letterbox.

I also agree with Jail, I would take anything over MA at the club, but unlike Man City, I would like to see us winning the league rather than trying to buy it.