The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew’s Praise For This Player – His Presence Was Everything

9:55 am, Monday, February 24th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 175 Comments

Alan Pardew has revealed that both Fab Coloccini and Cheick Tiote were not really fit enough for a Premier League game yesterday, but he played them in any case, and we are just pleased they both seem to have come through the game uninjured.

Fabricio Coloccini +XAiDgHivPe-m

Fabricio Coloccini – made a big difference yesterday

Fab Coloccini in particular we thought had a strong game, given it was his first game back after his long lay-off with a knee injury since New years Day.

And Cheick will be a lot better after getting 90 minutes under his belt, in what turned out to be a fabulous win for the club.

This is what Alan Pardew has said in the Shields Gazette today:

“Both of them weren’t fit for a Premier League game.” “With Colo, you could notice it a little bit down the sides. He had a couple of chases which he’s usually first to.”

“But I knew his presence was going to be important and Cheick wasn’t at his full-flowing best, but it was such a big difference to have those two back.”

“We’ve worked really hard with him.” “I spoke to Colo all week, and his presence was everything.” “If he was going to be a little bit uncomfortable with some of their pace, we would have to accept that.”

“But the result justifies the means. Just his calmness – we were very erratic with the ball, very nervous, which I expected.” “But not him. He never gets himself into that mode.”

There’s no doubt that Colo is a huge player for Newcastle, and he keeps things calm at the back.  and leads by example both on and off the pitch.

He’s a player we need to keep at the club for the next two years of his contract, if Newcastle are to have any chance of mounting another attack on the top six in the Premier League.

We don’t know what the personal situation is currently with Coloccini, but we just hope he can see out the remainder of his contract on Tyneside – through the summer of 2016.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Fabricio Coloccini · Injuries · Newcastle News · Premier League

175 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Sad to see so much negativity knocking about despite the win. An underwhelming performance, of that there is no doubt, but given the run we had been on, and the lacking of confidence evident when we didn’t turn up against Spurs this was a good way to bounce back.

Nerves were evident from the pitch to the stands, but both a clean sheet and a win are very welcome.

I get people are disappointed by the overall performance, but a win is a win, and on the back of the run we have been on I’d take a scrappy, late one nil win any day of the week.

• 2 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Amen, lilongwe.

I just hope it gives us a kick start.

• 3 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM

lil

100% with you on that…cant go from getting a drubbing to outplaying opponents and hammering them in the space of a game, it’s very difficult to do when you have been on such a bad run…it stops the rot and gives us something to build on next week.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

laurent – from previous

I don’t think there is any excuse for cisse missing his chance, he should have burried it, remy too.

We still did ok, nothing special but a decent bit of play at the odd moment.

• 5 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

i can accept a scrappy win every so often against a good side but
    every day of the week no
    they are paid handsomely to perform

• 6 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM

to build on next week.
    you need a good architect, a good manager and a good foreman

• 7 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Hello all,

Good 3 points yesterday. Only caught the highlights last night as I was working, but seemed to be a good enough performance considering the past few weeks. At least something to try and build on.

I see Pardew has been doing the same transfer kitty maths as us. As always though, it will be interesting to see what the board does.

If we want to try and attract some half decent players this summer, a strong push towards this seasons finishing line will be needed.

How did De Jong play when he came on, looked pretty decent from the highlights, but they can often give an obscure view of a game?

• 8 Himanshu Dhingra // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM

3 points for what?

Avoid relegation? – No
    Reaching Europe? No – That ship has sailed.
    Was the football breathtaking – No- Pardewed that has been

3 points on paper to help Ashley collect his money graciously and with a smile.

We may well have lost or drawn, what difference would that have made?

• 9 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

HD

got us a further place up the league…if we win all out remaining games i dare bet we will be 6/7th

so we need to keep pushing

• 10 Himanshu Dhingra // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

again people relying on internet to cast judgements.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

John,
    I get that, but can’t underestimate the impact of confidence and form. Just breaking that losing run should see confidence boosted. If we are still playing very poorly by the time the Palace game comes, regardless of results, then it would be more worrying. As it is, hopefully we can kick on from here and pick up our game. I think that playing Remy and Goofy off LDJ could well reap rewards, so I am hopeful that is what we do from now on.

• 12 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Lilongwe Geordie @1 – I agree completely. You can’t expect to come off the back of 3 defeats and play magical football. It was always going to be a tense nervy affair and people who expected anything else are just unrealistic. When our tails are up then yes I expect some free flowing football such as away at West Ham.

• 13 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

that’s the biggest IF i have ever seem

• 14 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

HD…I suppose it all comes down to your view point or what you want to achieve or what you hope the club to achieve.

If we think about this summers window, pushing as hard as they can and finishing as high up as possible will perhaps give the impression that we’re a club worth joining. If we simply give in, it’s pretty much game over and next season will be one long old slug.

Then again, that is assuming we’ll actually try and get any decent players in…that didn’t take long. I need a drink.

• 15 Himanshu Dhingra // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

TS

I accept your premise but not the logic.

Winning all games under “Pardon no clue” is a bad assumption to make.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

HD,
    What difference does the win make? Well as fans I’d imagine all (most, maybe one or two exceptions) would prefer to watch their side, whoever that may be and in whatever sport, win.

Yeah, very little chance of relegation, very little chance of Europe, but I’d still rather watch NUFC win than lose. I find it odd that any fan wouldn’t prefer their team to win.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

HD & Tudor…Were those comments directed at me?

• 18 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Transfer Sage

on chances , we should have won, no question, they where fantastic chances,

but the fact that our MF runs around chasing shadows against a very poor villa team was embarrassing, tiote had to resort to kicking anything that moved again

I have no problem with the guys at fullback offering support , but this seems to be our plan every game, which against any other team leaves us exposed at the back,,

greatful for the 3 points, now we should be safe,

the other thing from yesterday, dummet , are our senior players so poor he has to take the freekicks and corners , or is this a LB thing,

• 19 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Transfer, he should have buried it, yes.

If a happy child is bullied and harrassed he may then be anti-social in groups in the time following. Should the child be ok because the group is a nice group, or is the child’s state affected by the way he was moulded in the harsh treatment before?

Plus, he was hardly served up lots of chances was he? He’ll get rustier just from playing in many ways.

Once the system favours attacking players. Attacking players will favour the system.

• 20 Himanshu Dhingra // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Mine was! as a reference to dennis wise scouting on you tube.

It was a boring game. Highlights are always exciting

• 21 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

of course, you said if we win out all our games there is not a hope in hell we can do that ergo the biggest IF
    i can forgive if it was a slip of the brain gears

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

John,
    Yeah, it is a big if, but most things to do with Newcastle United have been that way for as long as I have been alive!! I’m not a fan of Pardew, and would happily see him replaced, but I’m realistic enough to realise any win yesterday was a good win, and desperately needed. Hopefully we will build on it, maybe, and some would say unlikely, we can go on a good run.

• 23 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

HD…Okay, thought I may point out I watched the highlights on Sky Sports so no internet involved, but the principle remains the same :)

Anyway, that was the reason why I pointed that out and directed my comments more as a question, as I’m aware highlights are not a good way to gauge a game.

• 24 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

So we have to take on board poor performances now, simply because of the poor performances before?

It’s getting ridiculous now. The expectations have been lowered so much it’s untrue

This fabled 10th aim is already a dictator led lowered expectation so it is easier for the slimey one to achieve.

We play poor football with good players. If that doesn’t tell a story then I don’t know what does.

I really like the majority of our players. That is down to Carr, not Ashley. Ashley on tightens the grip on the finances to just above suffocation level.

• 25 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

yes i have said it was a valuable win if only to avoid relegation it would appear that is no longer a threat
    i think now we can play cambell etc with impunity

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

John,
    Sorry, thought your ‘if’ comment was aimed at me – since realised it was at Sage…

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

IbizaToon
    He did OK I’d give him 6.5 out of 10 His movement off the ball looks very good and spacial awareness also very good drops in spaces to pick the ball up. His running and closing down led to Rem’ys chance he hit the post. Drawback looks lightweight may need a few Mackytans/Guiness’s to build him up.
    Cisse also did OK yesterday should of scored but overall play OK
    Defence played well Williamson again the pick
    Midfield poor kept giving the ball away except Goufron who covered every blade of grass.
    Krul one decent save but oh/dear his distribution is poor and selection of picking player out to slow bak to hoofing it upfield.
    But all in all a win hopefully got confidence back and can build on it
    BUT Hull not going to be easy and have not beat them for over 20 years.

• 28 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

we could use remy to our advantage as he has used us
    when we are totally safe use him as an impact player he doesnt want to sign so let his form drift its not rocket science

• 29 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I understand all the doom and gloom around at the moment but if you can’t be cheerful after a win, at least for a couple of days then what is the point of supporting NUFC?

• 30 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Charlie…Thanks for that. It was always going to take De Jong a while to settle. Shame about the offside yesterday, a goal could so the kid the world of good.

Have we really not beat Hull in over 20 years? Shocking. Oh well, no time like the present.

• 31 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

no it was at ibiza i thought it was a funny comment coming from him win all the remaining games

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

John,
    I agree, as with Dummett yesterday, the remainder of the season is a good opportunity to allow the kids to have a run out (not all at once) so we can see who is realistically up to the level required of first team/squad members next season.

Laurent,
    No, we don’t have to accept poor performances, but when you are on the back of a bad run like that, it is unlikely you will put on a sparkling display. As I have said, now we have that monkey off our back we should expect to start at least trying to play better football. I’m not saying I think Pardew can give us that, but bashing him for yesterdays performance is a tad unfair.

• 33 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Tudor…Actually, that was Sage who said that. I’m daft, but not that daft :)

• 34 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

i was ecstatic when it went in
    but then i thought shit he is off to ……… wherever hes not ours

• 35 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

ok its the my brain and the cloudy eyesight

• 36 croftus5678 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

@24 laurent

what lil was saying is that when your stuck in a rut it takes hard work to get out of it but when confidence returns players start performing better (like cisse when on form and playing 2 seasons ago with confidence or remy is this season)

i cant agree on the lowered expectations either as i think most on this blog at the begining of the season said top10 aim when we did not sign anyone “again” but we highered them as fans when we started to do so well ! now we weaker again maybe we have lowered them again but not to lower than where we first was.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Well, it’s been short but sweet.

Catch you lot later no doubt.

• 38 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

cataracts my bad apology ibiza, toon toon barmy army hahahahhh

• 39 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

martoon, support doesn’t just come in the form of blindly happy clapping the poor performances. Support comes in all forms. Should I reward players with seal-like clapping when there is no movement when a player has the ball, or should I highlight that there is no movement?

The full-backs have the best movement on the pitch, followed by Cisse trying to make runs in behind (but there’s no Cabaye/Marveaux to make the pass).

The full-backs generally follow a straight line of attack, so for them it’s a lot easier as they’ve been doing the same thing for years. A relatively manager-less task.

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

John,
    On Remy, I think that is fair. If we can give a youngster a chance, Asthma, Campbell (obviously need to bring him back from loan), if Gillihead has toughened up a bit, maybe even him (recently made his England U18 debut I think). Alternatively, as we apparently have a buying option on LDJ say to him, this is your chance as main striker. Take it and you could be a hero here.

• 41 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Lilo and croftus, Remy celebrated right in front of us. I watched a dull and uninspiring for 83 minutes.

I understand to get out of a rut, it may not be pretty. We aren’t just in a rut. It is pretty much the norm for disjointed and poor football to be played. For me it has gone way beyond, “oh, we’ll be ok next time” and Pardew’s” we can build nonsense. It was the same clueless football we watched in the Reading defeat at home.

It is unacceptable that players of the caliber that we have cannot play A LOT better cohesive football.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Asthma should read Arma, stupid autocorrect…

• 43 deeeeeeano // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Its about time US as fans started to help the team out too…….the atmosphere is the worst in my 30 years of going to games, simply dreadful. And, before I get attacked, Im aware that the powers above have implemented the atmosphere but we are bigger than that and need to follow through with our ‘support the team, not the regime’ slogans because as of this point we arent supporting anyone. I was only young during the horrid mid 80′s but can remember that even tho the board was wanted dead, never mind out, the atmosphere was still amazing and it actually galvanised the fans into making the atmosphere due to the hatred for them.
    Probably get shot down, and im away training now so wont be replying, but, does anybody feel the atmosphere could be the key to getting the players going again? the last 15 minutes yesterday was how it should be for the 90……..plans??

• 44 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Can I ask people what they thought of Dummett yesterday? I was a bit disappointed he seemed to keep leaving spaces on the left of our defense that their number 8 kept running into. Then he miscontrolled a simple ball and seemed to lose confidence when going forward. On the plus side his corners were alot better than Santon’s.

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Laurent,
    I’m not defending Pardew, I wanted him out last year, as prepared to give him a chance this year, but he never fails to fall back just when he seems to have improved slightly. Still, while I agree that disjointed uninspiring football has been the norm, I don’t agree with knocking yesterdays performance and win because of it as I don’t think we could have won it any other way.

• 46 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

HD

It is very unlikely, well totally unlikely to win all our remaining games but that’s how you have to approach it, win as many as possible and hope that teams above you drop more points.

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeano,
    Yeah, the atmosphere can be better, and in all honesty should be, but it is a chicken and egg thing as well. All it took was one moment from Willo, and the fans were galvanised by something they could respond to. That is all it takes to lift the fans. The problem is, we don’t have enough of those moments. It does work the other way, the fans can boost the players, but then look at the derby’s recently where the fans have been noisy, the players failed to respond.

• 48 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM

If I trip over the same object in my home and injure myself. Is everything ok because the wound has healed and scarred? Not really, as the object wasn’t removed. I will most likely fall again.

Not until the object is removed will the wounds help to be stopped.

Pardew and his inept managing is the object. Ashley is the man to remove him, as well as himself.

But he is raking it in from the result of extra advertising, so he probably won’t.

Disgusting.

• 49 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

deeeeeeano @43 – I agree about the atmosphere but I think it is a chicken and egg situation – the crowd were as nervous as the players and needed something to shout about. The last 10 minutes was excellent with singing abd shouting which funnily enough was sparked off by Wllo’s interception on Benteke.

• 50 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

laurent

I agree we should play much better football, should be able to look a more cohesive unit and a threat, but as lilo says I think it’s important yesterday to just stop the rot.

• 51 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

why did he have the set piece job he did ok but

• 52 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Lilo, I see what you’re saying, but I cannot agree after sitting through more of the same to 83 minutes. (I say 83, because that is when I looked up to think this is improving a tad) and what I’ve been watching. I cannot do it.

The movement is absolutely terrible. That is team cohesion and training ground work related.

On the Carver issue… He did well under Sir Bobby, because of Sir Bobby. There is no surprise that under Pardew his role is questioned, due to Pardew.

• 53 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Martoo and lilo

are you two both having a chicken omlette? :D

• 54 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Martoon*

• 55 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Transfer, that is what it has been lowered to though, It’s appalling.

If we’d played a lot better and nicked one, fair enough. We haven’t though. We have scored all because of Loic Remy being a very good forward who can score many types of goals.

• 56 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

laurent

the problem is pardew does what ashley wants, takes a team of decent players, gets them playing poorly but looking like good individuals which means we never need to worry about europe and we also make players stand out like cabaye did and he wont complain when he is sold.

• 57 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM

laurent

I think it’s more due to the fact that’s all we expect from pardew…people know it’s not good enough but given the circumstances it’s a good result.

Obviously most would like a better manager, but given the current set up yesterday went well.

• 58 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM

When Liverpool hammered us 6 nil, there were 2 or 3 players dashing into space to receive the ball. Their movement was fantastic. This type of thing may not be shown on tv as it is out of shot. There is no surprise that they are doing so well now. The quality players benefit that type of coaching and team response.

We haven’t got started and in my opinion, and won’t under Pardew. He is simple not good enough. We don’t have to accept that.

He stumbled on 433 with Cisse centre, Ba left and Hatem right. We looked great. It was lovely to see. Then Pardew thought he knew better and changed a natural way of playing and went back to looking disjointed.

We had a glimpse of what these players can do. I want to see that glimpse made the norm by a good attacking manager.

• 59 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

laurent

I know we shouldn’t accept it but look at the managers Ashley has appointed, nothing to suggest he will do anything better next time around.

• 60 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Transfer, he does do what Ashley wants. He is a puppet to the bigger monetary making picture. That’s unfortunate for us,

If we sit with our head in the sand with Pardew and Ashley, it will be accepted and they will just continue to dish out the crap we currently receive. I’m not having it, so I speak of it.

It takes combined vocal displeasure to oust the con-men. The more that do it, the more likely a change could occur. The least do it, the least likely it will occur.

• 61 beermonkey // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

martoon

I don’t think dummet was to bad considering he came into a team leaking goals like a colander does water
    he witnessed the alan pardew hairdryer last week and was prob very conscious of that
    it was only his second start this season (I think)

I would like pards to stick with him and haidiara for the next 11 both need games and we as a club need to know if there keepers or duds

same goes for Sammy and bigi both of those need as much game time as pos

Armstrong could get some sub appearances

I hope he sticks with cisse as well lets see if we can get him firing into the net a striker is worth bugger all if aint scoring,

• 62 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM

The game was ambling on to a 0-0 draw crowd were anxious players and fans were flat….

UNTIL

Williamsons block/tackle/dispossion of Benteke running through on him and goal.

THEN
    Fans gave a huge cheer roar, players seemed to respond and the last 10 minutes were great – team were excellent, fans were excellent and the goal capped it all.

Don’t know if anyone else has heard or been mention on here but someone metioned that Pardew had each player in his office on their own and asked them in no uncertain terms if they ‘WANTED’ to play from the TOON

• 63 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM

succinctly put lauren

• 64 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Does anyone know about ben arfa? was he injured or dropped?

• 65 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

did he ask remy that
    first will you sign answer, no
    well will you play answer, of course

• 66 beermonkey // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Laurent Robert 32

I read something from carver a while ago and he was saying that pardew sets the team up for how he expects them to play and defend
    its then up to him to find a way to unlock the door with in the confines of what pardew has set out

not sure where I read it but it was a while ago

• 67 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM

beermonkey @61 – Fair enough – I’d certainly play him in the next game. I was also mystified why Sammy wasn’t even on the bench as I though he was one of the few who come out with any credit the previous 3 games!

• 68 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM

did sami tell pardew rubin kazan where looking at him

• 69 beermonkey // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM

martoon

don’t understand why there was no Sammy maybe a late knock or un well
    he cant of been scapegoated with marveax and benny
    that would be wrong
    given his last 3 games I wouldn’t have dropped him as you could see game by game he was getting better and confident

• 70 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM

John, cheers.

Beer, that pretty much sums up what we see. Containing and cautious approach with clueless off the cuff football in the final third. Unacceptable.

I know someone who was talking to one of the coaches at the club and they said Pardew was like a part-time manager as he still lives down south and comes up later in the week. Doesn’t surprise me.

That isn’t rumour, that is what they were told.

• 71 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Charlie, the fans have been flat for a long time now. Singing corner included, as you will hear.

It is the quietest I’ve heard in many a hear. Myself included as a ‘singer’. :-D

• 72 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM

*year, not hear

• 73 beermonkey // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Laurent Robert 32

with in the game pardew seems quite well respected, he has a reputation of some1 who gives young players a chance. I don’t see it
    he supposed to be a stat man and uses them
    how has he not picked up that our set piece play is woeful
    love or hate the way tony pulis sets up his teams you know they will maximise every set piece they get
    all we do it look for the big man its not changed or worked in 3years

dunno where he got his reputation as most fans from clubs he has left seem happy he has gone
    he must have max Clifford on retainer

• 74 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM

what pardew in all his tenure has failed to do is gain respect from the fans that in itself is unforgivable

• 75 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

ball less excuses, blames everyone but himself

• 76 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Laurent
    Been very flat of late except for last ten minutes yesterday when Williamson’s tackle gave the spark.
    AND brilliant response from fans over 50,000 turning up after the dismal display against the spuds

• 77 croftus5678 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

we got players in the box yesterday which is what has not been happening luuk/remy/goofy looked dangerous and we played football not hoofball.

granted we should always be playing like this but i’m just happy we did for once.

dummett looks to me like he would make a decent winger as he knows where to put the ball and also has a decent shot on him (prob the 2nd best crosser from the wing we have after debs) and if pards likes his def wingers he has it all his own way with dummett.

still starting to think sissoko should be cm and not on the wing but tiote is an automatic pick for me atm as he even looks one of our better players going forward also.

• 78 stuart no9 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

the great think about yesterday was the win. I think most people on here, regardless of how much they hate, maybe a player or the manager or the owner, we still want the win and get pretty upset when we lose.

I think the win is more important than the 3 points. The 3 points are now irrelevent. The only person who the points are important to is Ashley. For us as fans, the win will hopefully inject confidence throughout the team leading to better performences on the pitch .

When we playes spurs it was nothing short of embarrasing, ‘that’ is what hurts. getting a drubbing of the mackems again , that hurts, getting beat off cardiff at home , that hurts, points are neither here or there , we’re not going anywhere, but the embarrasing displays have to stop, from now.

Pardew got out of jail again yesterday, that first half was another one of those embarrrasing displays, had we been playing a slightly better side , it would have been all over by half time, coz lets be honest villa were just as bad as what we were in the first half. So i hope that win will at least pick the players upand give them some self belief . As for pardew , he lives to fight another day.

• 79 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM

beer, I know someone who has worked with him and he wasn’t a nice man at all. Arrogant and very nasty quite often, especially to some of the players. They said most of the managers can’t stand him either as they know other clubs’ staff.

In front of the cameras, his silver tongue and slimey charm does the brainwashing.

Martinez on the other hand, you’ll struggle to find a bad word against him. A very nice man they said.

Charlie, the reaction was a lot better in the last 10 minutes, yes. It just shows how much it has been pounded out of us all though.

• 80 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Pushing the linesman, saying what he said to Pellegrini, fracas with other managers is a little more of an eye opener to his true character. That is when he can’t help leaking it to the cameras.

• 81 beermonkey // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Laurent Robert 32

I am none to fussed on the man just on a football basis

but what I have always thought about him is he loves talking to press there have been times when he has spent more time with them than the players
    and it nearly always comes back to bite him in the arse

we missed the boat with Martinez although I thought he might struggle at everton but he has a better stamp of player now, but a fantastic man manager his next step will be to a top club I hope its in the prem

• 82 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

beer, not everyone can be successful, but yes, a good approach to the way the game is played is the main focus for me, regardless of whether they can achieve success with it. That is what you are left to watch.

It is an entertainment sport, whether you are playing to enjoy yourself, or watching to appreciate skills and creativity.

• 83 Rotonda heights // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM

48Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Not until the object is removed will the wounds help to be stopped.

Disgusting.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Fantastic analogy. Sadly yesterday keeps perpetuating the extended career of this league 1 chancer of a manager.

By the law of averages we had to win 1 home game eventually and score a solitary injury time goal at home against a shocking villa team..

10 games ago in his infinite wisdom Pardew decided to recall saylor and split the Willo/ MYM partnership. Finally, finally even he could see saylor and santon had to be dropped.

• 84 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM

beer, Martinez is very enthusiastic when talking about football I was told and always very welcoming when in conversation. They played some great football against us.

A different brand entirely to when Moyes was there. It shows how an philosophy of football can be built to a certain extent in a relatively short space of time, although it will take a while to develop fully.

Sir Bobby was the same when he came to us. Same with Rodgers at Liverpool. I have a few pals who are Sunderland fans and they too are seeing a big change already. One which they are new to seeing. A team of theirs which try to play football. That is without Poyet getting all his players in to suit.

Changes in play begin on the training ground and evolve through development and confidence.

• 85 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Rotonda, cheers. You know what’s up.

• 86 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM

* a philosophy. (I’m not proof checking a lot of this I’m blasting down. A lot if thoughts simultaneously in the mix whilst I’m writing ;-)

• 87 croftus5678 // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

i’m really struggling to find how some people are putting the blame on one but not on others or all collectivly !!!

seems as though some on here are so biased against one individual they tend to ignor everything else !

if the team are not performing its the players fault (they effect what goes on at pitch lvl and they are professional after all and i dont have my boss encouraging me every 2 secs to do my better he would just sack me if underperforming.
    then if the players are not playing its the managers responsibility to make sure they do or they simply leave if not interested hence what happened in relegation season ! tactics or not is no excuse for individualy not trying.
    then if the manager is not playing our best on form players its upto ashley to make sure he does or he should replace the manager so its ashleys fault the manager is not performing !

the blame goes to all if the fans are not happy and not one person ! if pards is the bad guy then its ashleys fault for not replacing him and the players who are not giving there all for there jobs imo.

• 88 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Laurent – I’m neutral on Pardew but I’m finding some of your attacks on Pardew quite frankly pathetic bordering on ‘Catchy’ proportions.
    It is well known Pardew’s family home is still in the South but just because he may not be here at the beginning of the week doesn’t mean he can’t leave instructions etc. for his coaching staff, assistants etc. and there are things called telephones should any major issues arise.
    All managers have the odd dispute with other managers or officials at some time so you can’t single out Pardew for that – I would rather he showed some passion that sit there with his arms folded even when we score!
    As for ‘he is not a nice man’ argument I don’t care what he is like as long as he can manage NUFC and get results. In any career you don’t get to the top without a mean, ruthless streak.
    Don’t get me wrong if he was replaced with someone like Martinez I would consider that an upgrade but “he is not a nice man” is not a reason!

• 89 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I think everyone would take an upgrade on the manager the same way we’d take an upgrade on a player.

The problem is when you look back houghton, shearer, kinnear, keegan….none of them were much better (keegan 2nd time, first time fantastic)

• 90 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM

what did shearer have no time no players the rot was in

• 91 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

i would have Bernhardt Schuster as next manager

• 92 DokToon // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM

gmorning all,

delighted with three points yesterday…

pardew IN!! give him an extension on his contract!!!

thats called sarcasm, by the way, colonial style :)

• 93 Malta Mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Same old, same old!!!! JESUS MAN, WE WON!!!!!!!!!

• 94 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

jesus is not here

• 95 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM

evening dok

• 96 daztoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Transfer Sage

I think Keegan was turning things around the football on the pitch was a big improvement.

Keegan saw what was coming and was man enough to walk away and not be a patsy.

• 97 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Tim Krul – 6. Barely anything to do as Villa chose to hit on the counter attack. Routine save in the first half from Agbonlahor’s shot.
    Mathieu Debuchy – 6. Got forward well as usual but no chances created and could perhaps have shackled Agbonlahor better.
    Mike Williamson – 9. Man of the match for me. Vital interception from Benteke’s pass in the second half. Looks unbeatable when playing alongside Coloccini.
    Fabricio Coloccini – 8. It’s scary how much of a different side Newcastle look with him at the back. Solid as usual, gave Magpies a strong base to build from.
    Paul Dummett – 7. Decent performance from the youngster. Unlucky not to score with a curling effort and provides some quality with his crosses and set pieces.
    Moussa Sissoko – 8. Undoubtedly Newcastle’s main creator. Definitely being played out of position but when he finds space, he looks to unlock defences and provide for Remy and co.
    Vurnon Anita – 6. The game passed him by in the first half but he showed some decent touches and became more influential in the second.
    Cheick Tiote – 6. Return from injury went routinely for the Ivorian. No outstanding moments but stopped Fabian Delph from becoming too much of an influence on the game.
    Yoan Gouffran – 6. Tried to provide a goal threat but match sharpness wasn’t quite there. His free kicks were terrible.
    Papiss Cisse – 4. Another performance overshadowed by a shocking miss. Actually showed some nice touches before and after the sitter, but no one will remember those. Will be lucky to be at Newcastle beyond the summer.
    Loic Remy – 8. Always going to be the match winner. Possesses a touch of class in the final third, caused Ron Vlaar problems all day and deserved his goal.
    SUBS: Luuk De Jong – 7. Left a better impression on the match in his 20 minutes than Cisse did in 65.
    Dan Gosling – 6. Not enough time to get involved.
    i would like to see villas in comparison

• 98 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Martoon, they are my own opinions on the man and the dross which I’ve seen him play. Catchy doesn’t like him either, neither do people on here, or ANY of my pals. Coincidence? I think not.

Yes, I’m very against him. I didn’t want him at the club at first. Why? He wasn’t good enough then, and he still isn’t now. It looks like he does well at a club in his first season, then the wheels usually come off when reality hits. Record abysmal results as well.

I’m very annoyed that he is still here, yes. Why? Awful clueless football in the final third and players not used to their maximum potential. Lies, scapegoating and distraction are regular occurrences for him.

I refuse to put my head in the sand and accept his inability to manage just because “that’s where we’re at with this owner.”

We are where we’re at because of the general acceptance of his incompetence.

Plus, the things I’ve heard about him aren’t rumours from the papers, they are first hand. I have more but I’m not going to mention them.

Pardew is hardly in a position to delegate like he’s Sir Alex when he has no successful foundation to start with.

• 99 mindshaft // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM

So has everyone given up on getting 6th place and Europa?
    We’re only 5 points behind both Manure and Everton despite our poor run, we still have to play then both at SJP – if we could put a bit of a run together and beat them both we could easily take 6th which will be enough for Europa ( presuming Citeh thrash Scum)

Keep the faith

• 100 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I just want to see us try to play good football with passion and enjoyment. If we can be successful as well, that is a great bonus. Football should be fun. That is the simplistic nature of it. I may come across as very negative, but it is for the want of true, positive football without lies and excuses.

I have a lot of time for our players. I think Carr has done very well with what he’s been allowed to do. I like a lot of them. They are just misused.

They won’t win every game, but they try and attack and play in the right manner and Wenger knows what he’s doing.

• 101 LooneyToon41 // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM

@1. LG – well said. Best post today.
    Colo was class yesterday. He reminded me of Woodgate at his best. Lots of composure and experience.
    Dummett – I thought he played well. Yes he made a couple of mistakes, but overall he was composed under pressure and picked out the right pass on more than one occasion. I think ALL his corners actually beat the first man, which is far better than Cabaye used to do. Ok, so most were cleared by Vlar and co, but at least they were threatening.
    As for ‘Pardew getting out of Jail’ – god this kind of statement annoys me. Technically and creatively the performance wasn’t great, but you can’t have a go at the players for lack of effort. Plus, in the first half when Villa were on top for 20 minutes, Pardew changed the system. I really don’t know what more any fan could have expected of the manager yesterday.
    Well done all – I’m smiling today!

• 102 DokToon // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM

morning mr tudor,

how goes the war against the evile empire? :)

• 103 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM

It’s like a Dido record on here today :D

• 104 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Or a country ballad. If this blog owned a dog, it would be dead by now!

• 105 cestriasteve // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I’m at a loss to understand Vernon Anita, he spent the first 80 mins over hitting passes, passing far to quickly for anyone to control and then in the last 10 minutes is a different player. Is it a confidence thing?

• 106 DokToon // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM

mark,

my wife ran off with the dog, who was then run over by a truck, (the dog, not the wife, although thatve worked out better…), ive got whiskey… ummm, thats about all the references to country music i can make

• 107 LooneyToon41 // Feb 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM

@100 LR32.
    “Look at Arsenal’s third goal against Sunderland. It was a fantastic goal, but it didn’t come from nowhere. They base their game on attacking with passing a great movement. That goal is the consequence of a dynamic philosophy.”

It was a fantastic goal you’re right, and not their first wonderful goal this season!
    But your statement is flawed.
    That kind of goal is because they have better players, and can afford better players.
    Arsenal wage bill was £143m, ours was £64m, which is 8th highest in the premiership.
    You get what you pay for.

• 108 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Laurent Robert 32 @98 You make some valid football points but what I was saying was you can’t start using things like Pardew doesn’t live in Newcastle etc. as an argument.
    LooneyToon41 @101 – I’m pleased you mentioned the change of system – I thought I was the only one who noticed. He switched to 4 5 1 with Cisse on the right, Goofy on the left and Remy up front. It actually worked quite well and nullified Villa’s attacks and Goofy gave Dummett some help as he was being left exposed. Then later on in the second half I think we switched back to 4 4 2 probably when De Jong came on – of course Pardew gets no credit for those tactical changes!

• 109 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Looney, I’m not saying it’s not flawed. They have excellent players. Excellent players can cost money.

What I mean is that Wenger, Martinez, Rodgers etc, apply a system, an understanding to the players to play the game a certain way. That is regardless of monetary player signings.

Put Wenger in charge of us and you would suddenly see our players get a lot better with a hefty increase in value.

• 110 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Pardew must have been told to push the transfer kitty tale as season tickets sales have dived.

• 111 toon kk // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

This season is over really, we’re not going to be relegated and there’s no chance of Europe also we’re knocked out of all the cups. But we’re just an average side who’s met its potential for the season, just where Mash wants us to be.

The big worry is next season, who knows what going to happen with players leaving and Cashleys tight budget.

• 112 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

martoon

I think anyone can change the formation/move the players into different positions.

The problem is the overall football style and philosophy of how to play, we don’t pass in nice triangles, we don’t have many good runners, etc etc (not saying sunderland are fantastic but their manager has that with worse players).

I was very pleased with just a win on the weekend, we needed to stop the bad run.

• 113 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Martoon, I can make that a point that he doesn’t live here, because it is up to him to be developing those players daily. That is what he is paid for.

We’re weren’t on a glorious run to afford him to be able to delegate. It us up to him, as manager, to address the poor performances with guidance and knowledge.

Remy is to thank for yesterday (and the defenders) for saving the day with individual talent.

I want to see the team interlinking and moving with strong team play.

• 114 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

*we weren’t

• 115 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

They beat a poor Villa side 1-0 at home and Pardews running around like he’s won the league, the Doughnut!

• 116 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

laurent

depends how much of a coach pardew is…if he is a manager who just picks the team, tactics and delegates to the coaches what to work on and goes off feedback then it does no harm.

I’m of the opinion the less time pardew spends with the guys the better really :)

• 117 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

It was all played too deep and a poor villa side were allowed onto the front foot. Pardew’s reaction was to put cisse out wide where he used to go when ba was here, and put sissoko through the middle. No wonder sissoko gave a gallic shrug and qu’est que c’est? Both did well in spite of Pardew’s meddling.

De jong looked the best he’s been. Quite an improvement. He made an impact and helped changed the game. Perhaps the lad will make it after all. I wrote daniel sturridge off when he was playing for the u21′s so that shows how badly I can call it. To be fair, Sturridge was poor back then. We’ll give verdict on de jong at the end of the season but pardew will have to start him of course.

• 118 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

blackley

I think de jong just need games, the lad has barely played all season.

Hopefully he starts with remy as they look the best pairing I feel.

• 119 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Let’s see how they perform against a mobile Hull City side.

• 120 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

manager when % matches
    CH 2009-2010 55,71 70
    KK 92-97 54,98 251
    SBR 99-04 46,67 255
    GR 2006-2007 45,83 72
    GS 2004-2006 43,37 83
    KD 97-98 38,46 78
    AP 2010- 38,41 151
    RH 98-99 34,61 45
    SA 2007-2008 33,33 24
    KK 2008 28,57 21
    JFK 2008-2009 22,22 18
    AS 9 12,5 8

that’s a list of all our managers we have had since KK first came

the bottom 4 im writing off because they didn’t get a full season in
    shearer only got 8 matches

that leaves only ruud worse than AP, and lets face it, we all know why this is, he dropped both shearer and lee to prove his point, did he do this for the good of the team ? at least the guy new when he was beat, he fell on his own sword after 1 home defeat by scumderland

Kenny D was poor , but got us to 2 cup finals

you can also CH games where in the championship, but I will argue that QPR are in that boat this year and not doing well, CH had the same owner, and had more players ripped out of the team than what AP has, in 3 years, AP has lost 2 main players, 1 was just a young talent the other a really good player,

when you take his win % and the none style of football mix that with the number of wonder goals he needs to dig him out of bad situations, it really shows how far most of you have aloud your standards to slip

the owner is one problem,

the football is a different problem

• 121 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM

John Tudor

Agree with your merit marks except Cisse. I would of given him 6 poor miss, but put in a shift and made some nice runs off the ball – but our midfield were poor first half took to many touches on the ball ans Cisse’s chance had gone – never seen Anita mis-pass the ball so often.

Lets hope they take some confidence from the game and the momentum of the last 10 minutes into the next two away games, Hull who we have not beat for 20 years and Fulham away
    Because it is a long time to our next home game 22nd March against Crystal Palace.

Looking for at least 5 points hopefully 7 would be nice 9 brilliant – because after that we have a tough run-in till the end of the serason

• 122 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

SA –2007-2008 —–33,33 –24
    KK –2008 ———-28,57 21
    JFK –2008-2009 —-22,22 18
    AS –9 —————12,5 —–8

• 123 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

cacthy

I think people accept that but don’t back this owner to hire a better manager…look where his other choices are in that list.

Take sunderland, rock bottom when poyet came in, he has now got them in the mix to survive, he had got them a cup final and a cup quarter final, then also he has developed a system so that no matter who plays the team still play the same system (with only minor changes) and as such gets more consistent performances even with different players in the team.

• 124 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Everybody bar the agitators and the Mackems know pardew is a below average manager, who’s only in employment to save his greedy master money.

• 125 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Transfer, I agree that less time the better, but I’m talking a capable manager ;-)

• 126 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

TS

im sitting here gutted the guy is aloud to ruin our club

and yes , I call them idiots who back him,,

its all about the style we don’t have, nothing we can say yes we can build on that,

nothing

only results

• 127 stuart no9 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM

looney @101—As for ‘Pardew getting out of Jail’ – god this kind of statement annoys me. Technically and creatively the performance wasn’t great, but you can’t have a go at the players for lack of effort——– i never had a go at the players for lack of effort, never have , i will have a go at AP any day for putting them in that messy situation.

• 128 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM

11/12 season

games the opposition scored first

Overall ( 0 wins,5 draw,10 lost )
    Home ( 0 wins,2 draw,4 lost )
    Away ( 0 wins,3 draw,6 lost

• 129 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Pardews already getting his excuses in about Remy being to good to sign permanently, yet QPR managed to sign him the club is run by a cheapskate on the make.

• 130 stuart no9 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM

also , i wouldnt give a monkeys where pardew lived, he could live on the moon for all i care – as long as he done the business at work , which he isnt.

• 131 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM

catchy

I still will say though look at that win % list you mentioned…how many at the bottom are Ashley choices? most of them.

Houghton was top, did very well in the championship, but it’s difficult to compare prem league and championship records.

• 132 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM

season 12/13

games where the opposition team scored first

Overall ( 2 wins,4 draw,15 lost )
    Home ( 1 wins,2 draw,7 lost )
    Away ( 1 wins,2 draw,8 lost )

• 133 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM

this season
    Overall ( 1 wins,0 draw,10 lost )
    Home ( 1 wins,0 draw,4 lost )
    Away ( 0 wins,0 draw,6 lost )

our 1 win was against 9 man stoke and 11 v 11 they where better than us

• 134 beefman13 // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Yipee transfer funds available for the summer, yawn yawn they have the money in the coffers now, and it should have been spent partly in the last two windows, yea i know thats how MA is a triple billionaire virtually but we dont give a shit about that only going to watch our beloved football team! get it Mike???

• 135 catchy in norway // Feb 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Transfer Sage

sam a was not his choice

alan shearer , hmmm well fans choice, but we will never know

KK was shit on

CH yes , but like I say, he had the same owner as CH, CH still had to put a team out to win, floppy chops is struggling in that same league

I just think this guy gets to much from us as fans, and he does not deserve it

like the stats over the last 3 seasons, 3 time he has came back to get a win, 1 against 9 men

• 136 thai-mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

while watching the game last night,[there's a 7 hour time difference here], did anyone else notice the commentator kept calling the ground the Sports Direct Arena, I wonder how much Ashley paid him for that

• 137 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Fattys got his game plan for Newcastle United, which involves trawling the continent for cheap imports that he hopes one or two will turn out to be big money transfers in the future, but pardews coaching has put a spanner in that idea.

• 138 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM

So we finally won a game, we all happy again?

• 139 LooneyToon41 // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM

@120. Catchy. Why not go back further with your list to .. say the 1950′s?
    You can’t compare the premier league in 2014 to 10 years ago, let alone 60 years ago (all be it, the first division).
    It’s like comparing Man City’s current win ratio, compared to 1998 when they got relegated to (now) Division 1.
    It’s all about money. The best budget buys the best players, which usually equates to the best results.

• 140 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM

sorry for no replies i had to correct a mishap at the office

• 141 John Tudor // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

so where does harleys…. pardew is the 4th best come into it bearing in mind the longer he is in place the worse his stats become

• 142 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

catchy

kinnear and shearer were, keegan was….agree they didn’t have long but nothing suggests Ashley will pick a better manager….good chance it’s going to be much of the same.

• 143 Transfer Sage // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM

WWSBRD

very happy we won, still don’t think it’s put everything right but was a much needed win.

• 144 Oleg G // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I know it is not a popular comment and thought, but I think that Cisse still can come back to be a good player.
    He god Pardewed hard. The worse than anyone else.
    Sissoko also had that (some players got of course better with Pardew).

Cisse needs to reboot. He needs to get some games with good teammates (not as a sub for 1 out of 15 games in the last 15 mins of the game). Yesterday he made some mistakes but on the other hand he did some good things too. To me, he looked good with Remy and Anita + Sissoko in the first half.

• 145 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Sage
    Yeah agreed mate still plenty to work out, the question marks over Cisse and HBA just keep getting bigger and that we have no creative players is a real worry. I dont see Anita filling that role, Sissoko isnt calm enough and Tiote, bless him, just isnt capable

Scary times are coming in the summer but hey lets enjoy the win specially over Villa

• 146 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Afternoon lads

Thought I’d repost my thoughts on the match yesterday, sorry for the re post!

Toonarmydownsouth
    22 hrs, 46 mins ago
    Well that was hardly a trilling all action performance but regardless there was still an improvement today, sadly just not going forward!

The defence was much improved to do and done well to snuff out Villa’s attacks when they built up some momentum

Debuchy was an absolute monster today, bossed the right of the pitch, put some great crosses in, played some beautiful balls up the line for Remy/Sissoko, ran hard all game, blocked crosses made clearances, fantastic game from him, especially he scissored Kung fu kick clearance! My MOTM

Willo solid display today cleared up everything played well won some big headers at both ends of the pitch

Colo played well bought back some much needed discipline to the back line got forward well tried to keep possession than simply hoof and get rid like Taylor does

Dummett, can’t understand the stick the lad got, came into a team short of confidence, to be part of a back line that conceded 10 in the last 3 games in a dead atmosphere where the justifiably frustrated crowd were groaning every mistake, rusty first half but grew into the second and played very well

Tiote bossed it, proper Tiote display

Anita, woeful first half but brilliant for the last half an hour, needs to find a way to play that way for the full 90

Goofy man have we missed this lad, battled all game was always in and around the box looking to get on any half chance played really well, and that run back when Gabby was on his bike, wow

Sissoko very hit and miss today needs to look up more to see what’s happening around him, could be a great player but needs to improve his intelligence on the pitch

Remy and Cisse both played well in patches but we’re trying way too hard
    Looked to eager to get shots off all game, both missed absolute sitters and desperately need to sharpen up in front of goal

Gosling thought he played well tbh wouldn’t mind see a bit more of him as he looks to drive forward a bit more than Anita or Tiote

De Jong very impressed with this lad today, came on didn’t hide pressured from the front created a couple of chances for Remy held the ball well, hopefully he can find his shooting boots

All in all it was not a great performance but it was good to see us play with a bit more fight and a bit more determination instead of doing what we have been doing which is basically giving up, today was never ever going to be a top top class performance given the confidence of the team was at rock bottom
    It was a solid back to basics performance, a massive clean sheet, 3 points, some confidence restored and some noise bought back to SJP

Personally would prefer to see us build on this, put us in the best position we can possibly be in at the end of the season to make us a more attractive proposition for potential players rather than lose the next 11 just to see Pardew get the boot, but that’s just me

• 147 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM

toonarmydownsouth
    Christ lad u trying to get a job with the papers?

• 148 Belfast // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Wow Tads did Ibiza put you up to that long post ?

That’s an Ibiza special

• 149 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Pardews statistics won’t put any trophies in the cabinet but money in fattys pocket.

• 150 stuart no9 // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM

stuart no9 // Feb 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM

FACT— Alan Pardew is the 4TH WORST NEWCASTLE MANAGER since the prem started with a lose % of 35% beaten only Alan shearer -62%, Big Sam -41% and Rude Gullit -38% . not great eh ? just proves the man IS shite

• 151 Ben3arfa // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM

been following a fans group on Facebook a d its safe to say that we have some pretty stupid ass-kissin fans out there.

would it susrprise you all that most seem to support Pardew and actually buy that he is a “hard done by” manager? some are even implying that we played very well in the 2nd half yesterday. morons lol

• 152 Belfast // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM

WWSBRD

Still got sour grapes about me being one of the sensible posters I see, even trying to steal my posts before I write them. ;)

• 153 Belfast // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Played well my ass, we looked like relegation fodder for most of the game.

• 154 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

WWSBRD
    Yes mate i am, ask Belfast, we’re going to head to head for the sports section for the Ibiza times!

• 155 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Pardews statistically useless!

• 156 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Belfast
    Haha it gives me an uneasy feeling mate but looks like I shall have to get used to u being sensible…for now

• 157 Ben3arfa // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

also, the amount of fans still buying the line that “Ashley has us in good financial state” is staggering. This is exactly WHY WE NEED A RICH FOREIGN OWNER TO BUY THIS CLUB.

Some small minded local inbreds who dont have a clue about foot all still support this club it seems and that just means easy money straight into Mike Ashley’s bank accounts.

• 158 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

toonarmydownsouth
    Haha well neither of u can cover NUFC then, ull be banned within a week!

• 159 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Ben3arfa
    No rich foreign owner would want to buy NUFC

• 160 Belfast // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I get it now.

Tads is now ghost writing for Ibiza, when he’s not here.

That’s bad company you’re keeping mate…

• 161 martoon // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I never cease to be amazed by some peoples arrogance that their opinions must be fact and therefore anybody who differs must be very stupid. It never ever occurs to them that it could be the other way around ;)

• 162 Ben3arfa // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Surely theres a bored billionaire out there or an ambitious foreogn consortium whod buy this club. remember that fat c*** freddy shepherd rejecting bids from american consortiums before he was forced to sell up to fat satan.

the mindset of most fans needs changing, it seems many are used to mediocrity and are willing to go ahead and defend it during Pardews reign of sh1te.

• 163 toonarmydownsouth // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM

WWSBRD
    Already had a warning emailed to me from the club threatening action for my leading headline

“Who ate all the pies? Ashley did!”
    It’s breaking story on where the Cabaye money has gone, straight away in Gregg’s”

Belfast
    Once you get used to the dodgy 70′s leather jacket, the porntache and the brylcream come over the lads alright….

• 164 mag // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Where do the Pardew apologists think the club is benefiting under his backward management?

• 165 WWSBRD // Feb 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM

toonarmydownsouth
    Haha I wouldnt be surprised the portly SOB

• 166 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I am surprised we dont play at “The Greggs Arena”

• 167 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Or ” The Pasty-bowl”

• 168 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM

“Stadio de torta”

• 169 70TWO // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM

“Estaño Pastelería”

• 170 DokToon // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM

mark,

i dont know if i told you this, so forgive me if i have:

about 10 minutes drive from me, is an adult club, that is called st james… i consider it appropo that it shares the sme name as our park, since both seem to be having ass-ets removed, and stripped down… on that note, i did see a tshirt i wnted to buy, read, ” newcastle is my religion, and st james is my church”… i intended to buy it, then go to the strip club in it, and see if i got the tsunki treatment :)

• 171 Markaccus // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM

70Two

Google translate wont tell me what language that is

• 172 70TWO // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Markaccus

Funny that, it was Google that translated ‘Pastry tin’ in to Spanish for me.

• 173 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Transfer

On Cisse, it’s never going to help an out and out No.9 to regain his confidence by shunting him out to the right wing after 25 minutes. Credit to the lad that he tried his best and did quite well.

Like someone else has commented, I’ve never criticised the players for lack of effort or honesty. They’ve done as best they can with Pardew’s tactics. The Tevez comments sum up the exact problem we see at NUFC. It’s uncanny.

• 174 stuart no9 // Feb 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

ben3arf —– seems like ashley has done a rite job on most of the fans by brainwashing them into believing we are no good , not good enough to get any where near the top 4, also we are so bad now , that some fans called yesterdays performence ‘ decent’ hes certainly got a lot of fans in his pocket, clever really.

• 175 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Ben3arfa

You wouldn’t have a proud football club without those people you describe as some small minded local inbreds.

It seems from your comments that all you care about is a rich sugar daddy so you can compete with man city. We’ve got a proud football club here and the team needs support if it is going to beat the likes of man city on any given day. We might not win the league but we can compete with the best on occasions.

What’s your pedigree as a NUFC supporter?

previous post: This Player Was Outstanding – Like A Rock For Newcastle