Players Put In Some Long Hours After Spurs Disaster

Dan Gosling is one of the players who will leave Newcastle this summer, when his four year contract runs out at Newcastle, and he just never made the grade at Newcastle, for whatever reason.

dan gosling b&w

Dan Gosling – just turned 24 earlier this month

Dan was signed as a free agent from Everton in the summer of 2010, after Everton had failed to offer him a new deal in writing by the due date, and he became a free agent.

While Dan has not made the grade on Tyneside, Alan Pardew has repeatedly said what a good professional Dan is and he’s never grumbled at Newcastle, but just got on with things.

This is what the 24 year-old midfielder told the Shields Gazette today:

“It was a very disappointing night against Tottenham.” “As good as they were, we were far from ourselves.” “I think the fixtures caught up on us and it was a disappointing night.”

“Everyone felt really hurt and we had a tough week after that.” “I think the work paid off because we went right to the last minute and thankfully Loic got the goal.”

“It was the longest week all season I think, and that’s no joke either.” “It was a lot of work and it feels worth it now.”

Hard work never did anybody any harm, and given the wages these players get these days, somehow we have little sympathy for them putting in long hours on the training field, especially after the disgraceful performance against Tottenham.

Gosling was brought on against Aston Villa very late in the game, for his second Premier League appearance of the season and his fourth overall appearance this term.

We expect Dan to sign for a Championship club when he becomes a free agent in the summer.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Re Post,
    Slank,
    I’m personally fine with HBA going. I just don’t see him as a top player, nowt more than back up, and unlikely to get a contract offer from the club that he/his agent would feel represents what he is worth. Rather get rid then keep him.

On this, Ferg will go nowhere, mainly cause no one will want him. Can’t get a game at Brum.
    Tav is doing well at Rotherham, think that is his level.
    Vuckic is struggling to make the first 11 at Rotherham, time could well be up for him now.
    Richardson, released, never progressed.
    Campbell, not having it all his own way up in Scotland, been played on the left wing a few times, and has slipped to the bench. Personally, if he isn’t going to play more there I’d bring him back and given him some game time here just to see how far off he is.
    Newton, I expect will end up at St Mirren on a full time contract this summer.
    Curtis Good has done okay on loan, really depends on whether Taylor or Colo leaves for him next year.

Good and Campbell have another year or two on their side to develop out of this list, the others I think time is up here.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Good professional, lol. I remember getting hammered with him, Stephen Folan, Freddy Eastwood and David Bell (both were at Coventry at the time) in the Pitcher and Piano, then onto Koo’s later. Dan was due to meet up with the England U21’s the next day, but had been left out of the Newcastle match day squad for turning up late, so he left and went on the hoy.

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Would actually like to see Gosling offered a contract, looks hungry when he comes on and is more attacking minded and a decent squad player

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM

what fixtures caught up on us? we had tons of time off due to an early cup exit

and if that was the case why did they train so hard the week after if they were tired?

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Conor Newton – 22 years old – on loan at St. Mirren – done well for them and would be great business for them if they get him on a free

Adam Campbell – 19 years old – also on loan at St. Mirren – done okay, not really setting the league on fire would like to see him at a championship team for a season next season

Shane Ferguson – 22 years old – on loan at Birmingham again – can’t get a game for them, bench warming an average championship team, really can’t see this lad being anywhere near decent PL standard

Haris Vuckic – 21 years old – on loan at Rotherham – played 12 times with one goal – has yet to fulfill his huge earlier promise, injury has hampered his career yet to be seen if he could consistently perform at a decent level

James Tavernier – 22 years old – on loan at Rotherham with Haris – league one is where this lad looks good tbh

Curtis Good – 19 years old – on loan at Dundee United and playing well – has contract through the summer of 2018 – this lad is going nowhere, but needs first team games regularly – maybe on loan for a year or two – to progress

Michael Richardson – 21 years old – several loan spells never really looked great and never found that next level, league one/two yes PL no

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM

70Two,
    Hope? I am sure we will bring players in, we don’t have any there option. I am not hopeful that the overall squad will improve.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Lots of work during the week(?), yet a dire team performance for most of the game.

Lucky that Remy can get Alan out of trouble again.

• John Tudor

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM

illusionary stupor has descended you know what you want
    ff nike

• cestriasteve

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM

LILO, surely Pardew will play with gouffy and remy out wide and de Jong upfront with the other 2cutting in which is what they like to do.

Why play Cisse????? Mind you when I was walking back to the car there was a knackered old LADA and the Russian window wasn’t due to close till yesterday, didn’t see anybody in a crew cut and tash though.

• 70TWO

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Don’t get me wrong, the present league position is not to be sniffed at and I would hope for progression in the coming seasons. The one thing I hope NUFC clear up early are the targets for next season, would top 8 and a cup run be enough?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Cestria,
    I hope that is what Pards goes for from now on. He had talked of going back to basics, which I guess was his way of saying playing a direct 442. Interesting to note we did switch it around during the first half, although pushing Cisse out wide just shows how much opinion of him has dropped. Particularly as Remy is more naturally a wide forward.

Hopefully now we have broken the bad run he will try Remy, De Jong, Goofy although no guarantees.

Is the Russian window now closed? I thought it was the end of this month?

• John Tudor

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM

its still open plus finnish polish sedish if it was my choice remy would not start

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM

70Two,
    If we finish 8th this year, which I think we can, is aiming for 8th next year progress? Surely we should always be looking to better the previous year? For that reason I think it is too early to discuss what I hope for next year, although I can safely say that I want a good cup run every year.

• croftus5678

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM

i’d be fine with arfa and cisse going also tbh !

dont get me wrong i think arfa is a great player and gets me cheering the team on but i have lost count of how many times a game the lad just doesnt take the better option and pass opting to take on half the oposing team and shoot himself instead 🙁 he will do great abroad i’ve no doubt in a lesser league as he will be able to think a bit more instead of being pressured like in the prem.

cisse needs to go not only for our team but also for himself ! i think defences/goalkeepers are better in the prem and he’s really struggled with the quality the prem has + his confidence ect ect and the more 1 vs 1’s missed and offsides he gets the more his confidence will fade.

• cestriasteve

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM

LILO, if it’s parked up outside the Marlborough Social club again then the Cisse move could be on.

If that is Pardews preferred formation then he only has to replace Remy, sign De Jong up and sign either Siem or Grenier. I don’t think Sissoko and Tiote playing Central is an option, mind you it’s early days.

I know I keep harping on but Anita should be playing left back.

• stuart no9

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Dan goslings comments were not his own , I think AP had a major input to what he said ,– the fixture list caught up on us ??? what ?- that has got Alan Parfdew written all over it AND its one of the reasons why so many fans want him gone , he just spouts constant crap

‘ the players had a hard week’ really ? what went wrong then ? coz from what i witnessed in that first half it was disgusting – worse if not anything from what i have seen this season. Pardew is a lucky man that we wereplaying a team who are nearly as bad as us.

• geordieboy83

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Morning lads I think we could find a decent balance between British and foreign in the summer

British realistic
    Caulker 6 mil
    Ince free
    Ings. 4-5 million
    Zaha 10 mil

Plus younguns
    Arma, sammi, dummet, vuckic, Newton maybe, streete etc

Foreign
    Cabella 13mil
    Grenier 10mil
    Siem. 6 mil
    Luuk 8 mil
    Gomis free
    Abel Hernandez 6 mil

Off set that by selling hatem, santon, gabby, marveux, shola, and it’s not to expensive considering pards has come out and said we have a tidy war chest for the summer. No excuses really

• Slank

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM

croftus5678 @ Lil

I agree on all your assessments especially Vuckic and Abeid.

Abeid looks like he will return a far better player than when he left. His misfortune was being in the shadow of Cabaye and Tiote.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Cestria,
    I honestly have no idea what Pardew’s preferred formation is. I’m not sure he knows! He seems to go through phases of getting one to work for him, but then the same strategy falls apart.

Replace Remy, personally, I’d see about Benfica’s Markovic for that, but a bit more expensive than I expect us to spend. I guess Aaron Hunt on a free could well be Remy’s replacement as he plays striker or left wing. Thinking about it, that could well have been the idea from the get go.

Siem or Grenier would be great, but you still need backups and I think price may be an issue on both, as well as others interest.

De Jong, well Gomis would do a similar job and is on a free, will Ashley want to spend £6.5 on a striker who doesn’t score many?

• mindshaft

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Think Remy might find it harder than he thinks to get champions league footy in England, although he’s doing fairly well he has only scored 12 goals

Man City already have an abundance of riches in striking dept
    Chelsea are already making noises about Falcao and have Lukaku, Torres, Ba and Eto
    Liverpool have Sturridge and Suarez so no chance
    Arsenal are a possibility but Wenger is famously cautious and not sure he’ll take a chance

Of the other contenders
    I’m not sure Spurs have any cash left and will need to offload Soldado / Cabella and will not get anything like the 60 million paid out for them ( personally I wouldn’t pay 6 million for both)
    Everton – more skint than us
    Manure – Rooney and RVP

So in my opinion he’s more likely to go abroad
    Anyone got any predictions where?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM

GeordieBoy83,
    If Ince signs for an English club, Blackpool will still be due something in the region of £3million in compensation. He would not be free to us.

Caulker and Zaha? Not when they spent more than that on them just last year!!

I’d much rather get Powell from Man U than Zaha, offers far more, and can play in several positions.

• John Tudor

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM

hull city sniffing at remy

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Mindshaft,
    Lukaku will be off. He put in a transfer request last summer and according to numerous reports he and Jose don’t get on. If they spend big bucks on a centre forward no way will Lukaku sit around and play second fiddle!

• toonarmydownsouth

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Geordieboy
    Caulker cost Cardiff in excess of £8 mil and Zaha was £15 mil with add ons!
    No hope mate

• Slank

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM

GeordieBoy @ 17

Why do you bother putting values against players when the amount you quote doesn’t include all the costs involved in buying and selling players?

Is it not better to give reasons why a player should be sold or bought?

• stuart no9

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM

JT—– bit sad if remy opted for hull instead of staying here .

• John Tudor

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM

sign Hugieo Tamponi big lad keep most attackers out

• John Tudor

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM

they may offer european footy as well as ambition

• cyprus

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Lil,
    Ok I get it: You don’t rate HBA. I beg to differ 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM

mindshaft

I can see Remy going somewhere like arsenal or liverpool but he would need to be willing to not be a key player and be rotated as both those have options…he’d have to up his game with them to get a regular starting spot…sure he would back himself to do this though.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM

caulker could be a decent shout if cardiff go down

• geordieboy83

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Hi guys reason I says caulker is they are dead certs to go down I’m my eyes so would struggle to recoup what they paid. Didn’t realise nice would still command a fee. Zaha I understand but man utd don’t seem to want him anymore and can afford to take a hit in a

Slank
    Reasons for players
    Ince – English, young, direct, sell on value
    Zaha, huge potential
    Ings – looks like a natural scorer offers something different

Cabella – a consistent Ben Arfa with magic in his boots
    Grenier – top class ball playing midfielder
    Siem – a much better version of Nolan which gives us a change in tactical options
    Luuk – looks the part
    Gomis – ameobi with more goals
    Abel Hernandez – coz he is Abel Hernandez

I get there are fees involved but that shouldn’t be an issue with the money fat man has raked in.

• Shot Bru

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Remy will more than likely go to whoever pays him the most cash…that’s why he chose QPR over us…

This season is his opportunity to stake a claim for the WC squad…his performances, regular starts and goal scoring are doing his chances no harm..

• Ancientcoptic

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Why are we not showing an interest in Angel Correa?

I cannot for the life of me fathom how the club which has links to San Lorenzo through Colo is not considering its options, possibly with a swap deal.

Colo wants to go play there, they cannot afford him, they have a player being chased by the top clubs in Europe. (Isn’t it frickin’ obvious)

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I saw an interview with Jose not so long since and he said along the lines of that the main thing to have in a team is the blending of the players through a system and understanding of each other instead of placing a lot of emphasis on formations and expecting miracles.

When they know their roles with each other, they can adapt better to formations.

Our players play offensively off-the-cuff, so we fail miserably at that.

• Transfer Sage

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM

ancient

would be very hard to get him in with a work permit, has no international caps so not sure he’d be granted a work permit.

• NewcastleMole

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Why not go to dubai for warm weather training again ?

It worked wonders last time….

• Rotonda heights

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Lilo

” good professional , I remember getting hammered with him…?

Not that good a professional athlete then!

• John Tudor

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM

better off going to torquay

• Rotonda heights

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM

ancient coptic

not sure he does any more they just sacked his dad.