The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Huge Blow – Newcastle Captain Out Of Hull City Game

8:45 pm, Friday, February 28th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

There’s some bad news today about Fabricio Coloccini, and he has been allowed to return to Argentina following a family bereavement, and will now miss the game at Hull City tomorrow.

Fabricio Coloccini +XAiDgHivPe-m

Fabricio Coloccini – misses game tomorrow – back in Argentina

This is the note the club put up on their web-site today:

“Newcastle United captain Fabricio Coloccini will not be involved in Saturday’s Barclays’ Premier League fixture at Hull following a family bereavement.”

“The center-back has been allowed to return home to Argentina to spend time with family, rather than make the trip to the KC Stadium.”

Coloccini will be  a huge miss to Newcastle tomorrow, with Steven Taylor not playing too well for the missing captain over the several weeks Colo  was out with that knee injury.

That has to put a doubt on whether Newcastle can get their second win in a row tomorrow, because in the first half last Sunday against Aston Villa, it was only the strong defending of Colo and Mike Williamson that allowed Newcastle to stem the tide, and get a clean sheet.

And the stats prove that Newcastle always do better with Colo in the line-up, and he tends to calm things down at the back when he plays.

We had hoped for a second successive win tomorrow, but that’s now going to be really difficult.

But of course, we’ve been wrong before.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 NOVA2967 // Feb 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM

He seems to spend a lot of time in Argentina… Hope that doesn’t unsettle the squad. He is a solid professional and I don’t know what his family issues are but if he needs to go let him go. Then again if it is a serious thing then we should help him balance he personal life with his profession. I don’t remember what he reason was, just heard rumors of cheating allegations but you know.
    Need a great CB this summer, a leader but most need time to settle in the EPL. I guess he”ll probably stay if he can go back home like this.

• 2 BeeGuy // Feb 28, 2014 at 8:55 PM

This just shows how devastating it was for JFK to blow-off signing Douglas. This team would be right up in the thick of things if he was on board. Damn that JFK!

• 3 the truth will out // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM

family bereavement

• 4 Ciaran // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM

From previous thread re youth development,

Carroll, granted. Forster’s progress has been in spite of NUFC not because of it (and I still think he is drastically overrated) and while it’s decent early signs for Dummy, I won’t be calling him a 1st team regular any time soon.

• 5 BandB // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM

The previous Krul thread was up for all of 13 minutes before it was supplanted by this one about Coloccinni.
    Whether Coloccinni plays tomorrow is neither here nor there in the scale of things.
    Krul missing out on the World Cup would likely have far greater ramifications.

• 6 OhSholaAmeobi // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

it’s not playing for newcastle that has caused krul to be out of the dutch squad, plenty of new faces in that squad playing for lower teams. it’s the fact his distribution is horrendous and his ability to command his box has declined in the past 2 years a la steve harper/shay given style.

coloccini is a massive miss but hopefully mbiwa plays there instead of taylor. he has the pace to deal with long.

• 7 OhSholaAmeobi // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

beeguy

that douglas went to dynamo moscow, and he’s basically crap…

• 8 BandB // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I didn’t say he’d been dropped because he was playing for Newcastle. He is out of form. However, whether the player himself sees it that way will be worth keeping an eye on.

• 9 JackButler // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Perhaps Pardew can try Shola as a centre half seeing’s as he like’s square pegs in round holes and all that…………………!!!

• 10 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

just watched c good playing for dundee utd . he did quite well, but is a very left footed left back or left sided central defender so they played him right central so we are not the only club doing this.

• 11 sportsdirect // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

lets hope Yanga gets the nod above taylor.
    taylor is shit. i hope the links about hull wanting him in the summer are true.
    as for line up i would agree with what BPC posted in an earlier thread.
    someone has mentioned forster and his rise in the mighty SPL. How the hell the papers have the likes of barca and both milans looking at him beggars belief. the standard of that league is terrible. forster would never cut it at the very top imo.

• 12 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

watched the players training photos from tuesday .obviously more lies from chronic about marv training with u 18 s as he was there along with a armstrong. hope they bring on armstrong on sat as what is the point of taking him out of eng u 17 squad just to sit on the bench or be in the squad. i cant see what they can loose in giving him or even kemen 20 mins or so .

• 13 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I think Collocini and Santon are our classiest players, perhaps not most effective in Santons case, but both get the ball in and out of their feet beautifully. Dummett, Willo, Tayls, even perhaps Mbiwa, look like what they probably are in comparison, not quite good enough to be a part of a good Newcastle team and straining too much to prove their worth. Collocini and Santon seem to play the game with far less effort and far more grace. The team is a much better one with both in it. Collocini will be the bigger miss this weekend because of greater experience, but Santon also has genuine qualities.

• 14 JackButler // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Saylor will get the nod every day of the week as Pardew is so short sighted it a surprise he can find the dressing rooms.

• 15 JackButler // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:30 PM

jimmy

Santon classy?

Have you seen him over the past 18 months?

• 16 Harley // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Mbiwa should take colos place. Taylor’s had his chance with willo and hasn’t looked good.

• 17 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Yeah, I can see where the criticism comes from, gets caught out of position and isn’t great in the tackle at left back. He’s really young though and has plenty of time to iron out the weaknesses to then compliment his very real talents. I think he’s very much a proper Newcastle player in the making, but I also think he’ll probably become that player elsewhere, sadly.

• 18 jayphoto // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM

No coincidence for me we lost all the games Taylor started and won the game he was dropped in! Logic says you’d go with MYM as long has pace to burn! Expect a similar team to sunday with colo dropping out to MYM and de jong coming in for cisse

• 19 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Last time we saw Mbiwa, he looked more in need of therapy than first team football. Wasn’t all there?

Also, his first touch is too often incredibly poor and good players at this level are all over that.

I think the weaknesses in his game have been exposed in the EPL and it’s come as a greater shock to him above all others. He seems fragile and at times elsewhere as a result.

• 20 toon kk // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Let’s hope we turn up tomorrow because if previous form is anything to go by we’ll be ripped apart.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM

jimmy…I thought that with MBiwa too, but after a run of games, he started to relax a bit and started to look some player. He looked rusty and as you say fragile in the last game, however, based on previous experience I’d give him a few games to get back in to it and see him claim that starting spot. We’ve given Taylor a few games to prove himself, so I don’t see why we can’t afford to do the same with MBiwa. Him with Willo was a superb partnership for a while earlier in the season.

• 22 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:22 PM

This idea of players being “Pardewed” doesn’t hold water for me. The first team has a number of strong characters who’ve come on under the current manager, Willo and Gouffran as prime examples. It’s the less resolute that have struggled, but I’d put that down to the rigors and demands of this immensely competitive league before I’d lay the blame at Pardews door. I think Benny and Marv, for example, would get regular games if they were on the books at the likes of Hull, and that would greatly enhance their chances of going down. They’re probably plying their trade in the wrong country.

• 23 Ibizatoon // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM

jimmy…On the subject of Pardewism, too much is made of it in my opinion.

I do question whether the the majority of our squad are suited to Pardew and I do feel that players like Marv and Benny would flourish or at least do better than they are now under a different system. Under Keegan I think he could get them going, but then Keegan was never too focused on whether we’d concede so this was less of an issue I guess.

I definitely sit on the fence on this one (What a shock…), football is a results business and I understand where the cautious approach comes from. Would be nice for the team to be more fearless though. They can do it, but it’s usually a throw it all at them in the last 10 minutes approach. Can make watching 90 minutes a little dull.

• 24 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Yeah, he was good in that second spell alongside Willo, but didn’t seem to react well to making way for Collo.

But which pair would you pick, Mbiwa and Willo, Collo and Mbiwa or Collo and Willo. Collocini has to play and Willo has been a rock.

Mbiwa’s a pro and the EPL is the big time, he has to dig in and overcome setbacks if he wants to start for Newcastle.

• 25 Ibizatoon // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Jimmy…Well, he has only been here a year and hasn’t really been given as much consistent starting time as Colo got when he first arrived…he was hardly the rock he is today then.

I don’t think it’s about attitude or feeling sorry for himself that he got dropped. Just adjustment to the league.

It’s just a feeling, but I think we may be best to hold out and stick with Willo and MBiwa to the end of the season, at least for the majority and see how they do (Obviously if he’s still making 5 year old errors he can’t keep playing :) ).

Especially if Colo is off in the summer. With where we currently sit, pretty safe chance of not going down or getting EL, I say plan ahead and I do feel we have an extremely decent CB in MBiwa.

Much like you fear we may miss the best of Santon, I’d say more so with this lad. If we don’t play him, someone else will. But hey, that’s just my opinion, so I wouldn’t let it keep you up at night.

• 26 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Yeah, who knows, but if Keegan was here now and he set up this squad of players in this league the way he did the first time round at Newcastle, I suspect we’d be undone week in, week out, at times quite badly. Keegan had greater attacking talent at his disposal and weaker opposition to exploit, I think.

• 27 Ibizatoon // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Jimmy…That is also a big possibility. The PL dynamic has changed significantly since Keegans first time here and whether he’s be as successful is clearly open to debate. There are certainly some teams and players that would have a field day against a Keegan defense of old.

Keegan with a top defensive coach and top defenders and you’re laughing!

Anyway, I’m off. Bedtime calls. Calling a toon win tomorrow. HWTL, HW Bank Balances and HWSD!

• 28 jimmysmith // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM

All fair points Ibiza, and I agree he is more than capable of becoming a regular, but on current form, if that is what you base selection on, he’s not in the team ahead of Collocini and Willo in my opinion, and I’m hoping Collocini, still under contract, will also still be with us next year.

• 29 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Pardewed is most definitely a phrase used to describe players who seem to have lost their way through Pardew’s incompetence. Abeid is back to playing well now he is out of Pardew’s clutches after his public slating amongst the other younger players.

Pardew couldn’t develop a cold.

• 30 toonicle // Mar 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM

We seem to forget we have Mbiwa?

• 31 Brutooon // Mar 1, 2014 at 4:41 AM

Bring back Mapou

Saylor is OVERRATED, never make it to the England Senior Cap

• 32 Malta Mag // Mar 1, 2014 at 6:55 AM

I’ve said for some time that I rate M’Biwa as our best defender. Of course he’s been exposed at times but he was unfortunate to have been dropped when doing so well with Williamson for that period of time. I think given a run of games he will emerge as the class defender we were expecting when he arrived.
    As for this theory of being “Pardewed”, it’s rubbish. If you take the extreme case inShola, who is and always will be my pet hate, Pardew has been the only manager to get anything out of him. Remember Sir Bobby once announced that Shola was an “awesome” prospect!!!!
    I think the problem are the players themselves. Benny and Marveaux have had ample opportunities to prove their point but haven’t quite cut it and not many teams can afford to accommodate a “luxury” player. It’s a shame but their work rate and commitment is sorely lacking and they will unfortunately both be casualties this summer.

• 33 toonbrother // Mar 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM

there’s always something with this guy. I think he knws he’s over the hill and is trying to play as few games as possible this season

previous post: Newcastle Goalkeeper Likely To Miss Out On World Cup