Pardew Could Be In Really Serious Trouble This Time

Over here on the NBC Sports Network after the Newcastle game today, the panel were discussing Alan Pardew’s head butt on David Meyler, and at least one analyst though he should lose his job over the incident, because it’s not been the first incident that Pardew has been involved in while at Newcastle, or even this season.

alan pardew david meyler

Alan Pardew reacts to David Meyler

The sad thing is that the number one news after today’s round of games in the Premier League is Alan Pardew, and that’s after Newcastle have had one of their best away wins for a long long time.

And the former Newcastle manager Graeme Souness said  Pardew’s position was untenable and Alan Shearer suggested he should lose his job.

We think those are gross over-reactions to what Alan did, although we certainly don’t condone it.

But we also don’t believe Alan knows just how much trouble he is now in – and the FA have already come out and said they are going to look into the incident.

This is some of what Pardew had to say after the game:

“I apologise to him, everyone at Hull and particularly my own fans. From now on I’m going to have to sit down and keep out of the way because that is my second incident that I’ve been involved in this year.”

“I’m not stupid enough to expect no punishment. I’ll have to accept what comes my way.”  “I shouldn’t be there. The incident is right on top of me. He’s pushed me away and I’ve tried to ease him away but obviously I’ve put my head in a forward motion and you just can’t do that.”

“Sometimes when you’re on the sidelines you can get involved. It took the gloss off a great performance. I’ve kind of spoiled that.”  “I don’t think it was a headbutt,” “It wasn’t a motion that was quick. I was just getting him out of my face.”

“Alex Ferguson said to me ‘go and sit down’ and I think he’s probably right. I want to win games, perhaps I get too involved. I think today has told me to go and sit down.”

When asked if he should lose his job, after being told what Souness and Shearer had said – this is how Alan responded:

“I don’t think so,  but everyone has their opinion I guess.”

Alan is almost certainly going to be suspended for a number of games – maybe as many as five or six, and he will also be fined.

But the Newcastle manager might well be advised to issue a written apology on what he did this afternoon – and make that as soon as possible.

What do you think?

By the way some good news – Newcastle are now on 43 points in 8th place, and just 2 points behind the Red Devils, who have a game in hand, and we are now a full 5 points above Southampton, who were beaten 3-0 at home today by Liverpool.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• mag

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Apparently Pardew has offered to walk!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Maybe Pardew is taking this proposed WWE takeover of NUFC to seriously and is auditioning for the heel role 🙂 .

Maybe planting the nut is his signature finisher 😉 .

• Belfast

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Pardew mate you’re absolutely ferked.

The book will be thrown as Jeff Stelling said

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

TADS

Haven’t sent the game, have you? I read the BBC live text and report and they seemed to think that Hull were unlucky not to score several. At least one against the woodwork I think? And that the 2nd goal was against the run of play.

Have seen something of the incident but will watch it properly on MotD. Regardless, a manager pushing his head into an opposition player is ridiculous. After swearing at another manager and pushing a linesman, it’s obvious he has anger management issues. He’s the only spokesman we have for the club and he behaves like that??

• Widowmaker

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I want Ma and even Pardew out, but I think the media is over the top for the incident.

Meyer shoved him with force and while I agree Pardew shouldn’t have reacted, it was heat at the moment. I was expecting others to rush to Meyler after pushing our manager, but apardew did them all himself.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Again this is very poor from the manager but he ultimately shouldn’t be sacked in my view…this is not as embarrassing as the rubbish mike ashley has done to the club so can’t see how he should worry about this damaging the image of the club.

• manxpie

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Joseph Barton ?@Joey7Barton 2h
    Got a lot of time for Pardew. Regardless of what people think, he is a top manager. One of the best I’ve worked with.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Toonking

This isn’t a small incident. Can you tell me a similar level incident by a manager in the PL?

And firstly, you can’t sack Ashley, secondly he’s just made business decisions that haven’t always been in the interest of the fans, he hasn’t headbutted someone in from of the cameras…

• toonking

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM

if pardew were to be as punished in as bad a way as getting sacked all i can say is the media can all be banned from newcastle.

why should he be given such a bad reputation yet suaez can bite players and still go down as great players, morineo can try to blind someone in the eye and still be described as the chosen one by media and sir alex ferguson can give so much abuse to match officals but marked down as the greatest manager ever.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM

TDS

I caught the game and I think we controlled both halves but hull did have 2 very good chances (1 header they should have scorer and a free kick which deflected off the bar).

The second goal was just a daft mistake from hull but we were pressuring them better than usual.

For the rest of the game we settled quickly after they scored from a krul error, bossed possession and then caught them on the break very well twice.

• yo-yo

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM

TDS

We played a counter attacking game against a competent Hull side – so its hardly unsurprising we scored against the run of play.
    Don’t degrade our performance – that’s the worst defeat Hull have had this season and they’ve now got a revitalised forward line firing well in recent weeks and HUddlestone on good form too

• toonking

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM

TDS

suaez biting a player

morineo pokes a manager in the eye

• Transfer Sage

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM

TDS

Can’t think of it happening the PL but I do remember mourinho gouging the eyes of an opposition coach in spain an getting a 2 game ban, also refusing to apologise for it.

It’s not good to see, but he was pushed first and just reacted to that, badly mind you.

Just think sacking him is a bit extreme.

• NewcastleMole

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM

He shouldnt be sacked for this incident he should be sacked for being an average manager who plays crap football, lies and generally has one of the biggest ego’s in the premiership

• Belfast

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM

He deserves everything he gets toonking

If Bruce had of done the same thing to one of our players. we’d all be on here going nuts lol

It’s not the first time he’s got on like a knob either

• NewcastleMole

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:56 PM

This is the FA. We arent one of the “top” clubs in their eyes they will completely go over the top with the punishment in my eyes.

• yo-yo

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Widowmaker

Meyler really went for Pardew and should have had a straight red.
    Unlike Mourinho gouging another manager, Pardew was provoked and his offence was more bringing the game into disrepute than violent conduct.

• Slank

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

He will get a fine and be banned from the touchline all of which will not affect the team or the club.

All it will do is give vent to self righteous indignation by self opinionated pundits many of whom have short memories of their own transgressions.

I would imagine that his actions will endear him to his players (for not being intimidated by an opposition player), his coaching staff who will take the mickey out of him and give our owner a good laugh.

• wolfshead@toon

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

tuffers

i think pards should be sent to the colonies to work on your plantaion for a couple of months 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

TS

Interesting. At half time I read, “What a different half it might have been had Tim Krul not wonderfully kept out a double effort from Alex Bruce. 26 seconds later, Newcastle were in the lead. They doubled their advantage when Loic Remy pounced on Maynor Figueroa’s mistake, but in between, Hull had chances through Jelavic and Elmohamady. A somewhat surprising half-time scoreline.”

• manxpie

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

sorry all these fans and pundits calling for sackings (souness ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!)

all players that do the same should also be sacked then surely!
    shearer wouldn’t have reached his goal record for us
    di canio wouldn’t have graced the prem the way he did
    suarez wouldn’t be in this league now
    and many many many more

and rightly pointed out the media darling morhino did far worse that wasn’t in the heat of the moment
    wat about cloughy smackin a fan?

• Cantbuyye

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM

THAT’S IT

It was a big day in the title race with Chelsea and Liverpool winning while Arsenal slipped up at Stoke, but this day will be long remembered for Alan Pardew’s extraordinary headbutt on Hull’s David Meyler. There’ll be plenty more on that on Sky Sports News and across our digital platforms throughout the evening.  Join us tomorrow. Who know what will happen?
    That’s skysports news for u.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM

TDS

it was a brilliant double save, but I think a good keeper saving it is no more lucky then a good forward scoring a chance.

I think the score could have been closer, but not like it was a travesty we were infront…it was just we took our chances with good finishing and they didn’t.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Yo-yo

I haven’t sent the game so haven’t got an opinion on the performance. Just questioned it based on what I read. The result is great though and even better with Saints losing!

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM

TDS
    We controlled the whole game
    They created very little and it’s a massive disservice to the lads to suggest otherwise tbh

We defended well, countered at lightning speed and killed them in midfield

And yes, suggesting he should be sacked is madness, the player laid hands on him and was totally out of order
    Swearing at another manager? Big deal happens every week with managers players officials

Get down off your high horse, it’s easy to to judge and criticise those in the spot light behind the animosity of the internet whilst pretending you’ve never reacted to an incident

• Cantbuyye

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Not even a mention of Newcastle winning 4-1 in their final comments on today’s results.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Toonking

Suarez is a player and an asset worth a huge amount of money. Like that or not but Liverpool weren’t going to sack him for that. And that has happened with players before. Plus, Suarez is what, 27? Pardew is old enough to know better.

• wolfshead@toon

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM

manx

never say sorry to mackems mate 😉

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Belfast
    5 mins ago
    He deserves everything he gets toonking

If one of our players had done it to Bruce, the Hull fans would want the players head, they certainly wouldn’t be queuing up to stick the boot like we all are
    It’s embarrassing

• Transfer Sage

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

TDS

why is it not fair to compare the mourinho incident just because it was in spain?

And I agree different for players as they usually get the hard tackle on them which makes them react badly, but pardew was shoved here, not like he stormed over to the player so can see how he got a little heated (not condoning it though, the book should and will be thrown at him).

but the age is irrelevant…I’m 24 and know not to shove or headbutt people, maybe if we talking about a 9/10 year old but adults and even teens know whats right and wrong.

• achtoon

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Newcastle controlled the game form start to finish, very good performance, hull had a couple of chances and a little luck hitting the crossbar but we could have scored more. Pardew was hit by the hull player and he over reacted with a little head push, not a headbutt and for once i agree with Barton.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

TS

Well, I’d like to see firmer rules on dissent anyway. I don’t think the PL is exactly full of role models for kids these days. I’d red card or sin bin players for approaching the ref or swearing at him and give a retrospective ban to anyone blatantly diving.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM

TADS

If I headbutted someone while representing my company then I’d be sacked, so no, I’ve never overreacted like that. He’s a professional representing our club and is the main spokesman. If he was manager of any other club would you say the same?

• manxpie

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

well said wolf lol and well said tads!

• toonking

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

TDS
    “As for Mourinho…sure…that happened in Spain. Bad behaviour but not fair to compare.”

your joking

who cares where abouts it happened
    the things that matter are
    A) they both managers
    B) they both in the premier league
    C) they both did an assault

i could murder someone in the UK but and move to a different country but once the police knew that i moved over to that country they would report me to those police and now i would have a wanted level in my new country.

• Toon Tang

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Just seen that pic on the beeb website and it doesn’t look to good for awld Pards, his face looks reet against him. Got a feeling (sweet) FA are going to go to town on him.

This line from the interview gave me a chuckle – “I will sit down from now on and send [assistant manager] John Carver out there.”

hahaaaa that should defuse the situation eh

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

So it’s okay to headbutt and eye rake people as long as you do it abroad?

• Widowmaker

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Yo-yo, totally with you.

TDF, what do you mean by not fair to compare? I thought PL is more physical and shows more reds. 🙂

• Widowmaker

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I mean in Spain…

• Transfer Sage

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM

TDS

Oh I agree the disciline should be much harsher to keep players under control.

I don’t mind a player asking a ref why a foul was given, but he should accept the answer and move on. Hate them all surrounding a ref and shouting at him.

I think swearing is a difficult one to judge, there are so many nationalities it would be difficult to know who swore, so somebody could call you every name under the sun in swedish and you’d have no idea for example….I think that any shouting at the ref or not doing as asked should be a yellow but they should be giving them out a lot easier than they do.

Agree on the diving issue, have a pannel which looks at all games once a week and bans any player for a match for diving, ban increases after each incident.

1 2 3 10