The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Owner Now 256th Richest Person In The World

2:57 pm, Monday, March 3rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

With the success of Sports Direct, Mike Ashley is moving up the World’s richest list, and he’s makes number 256 in the new Forbes World’s Richest Billionaires, the highest he has ever been.

mike ashley   -880074675

Mike Ashley – 256th richest in the World

I looked on the list but I don’t seems to have made it – for the umpteenth year in a row. :D

This is what Forbes said about the controversial Newcastle United owner:

Reclusive British tycoon Michael Ashley started his sports-clothing chain after leaving school in 1982 and was the sole owner until a 2007 IPO. At that time he sold a chunk of the company, personally pocketing $1.8 billion.

He bought Premier League soccer club Newcastle United right after becoming a billionaire that year. He then tried unsuccessfully to sell it, twice, and upset fans by renaming its home stadium the Sports Direct Arena. He remains executive deputy chairman of the retailer.

Top of the list is Bill Gates, the now former Chairman of Microsoft who along with his wife Melinda,  is doing some great work for Charity – which is his main life’s work now.

Eight of the top ten are Americans with Mexican Carlos Slim Helu & family and Spaniard Mancio Ortega being the exceptions.

Bill Gates is worth $76B (£45.6B) and Mike Ashley is now worth $5.5B (£3.3B) which is over twice what he was worth when he bought Newcastle United almost seven years ago.

And two years ago Mike Ashley was number 491 on the list and worth £1.6B – do you think he’s got say £100M to invest in Newcastle, so we can get some great new players this summer?

If we can persuade the English Billionaire to just invest all the profits back into building up the Newcastle club, with a priority on the playing side of things – we could be in a for a very good future.

Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner is number 137 on the list at $9.1B  (£5.46B) and Ellis Short the Sunderland doesn’t appear to be on the list at all.

Vincent Tan, the very controversial Cardiff City owner is 1092 on the list with a measly $1.6B (£960M), and John Henry,  the leader of Fenway Sports Group who bought Liverpool in October, 2010, is 1154 and worth a measly $1.5B (£900M).

Those small amounts are not even worth having – well maybe not.

:D

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Whumpie // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

If he did spend loads on the club, nobody would have any respect for what we won, any more than people will for Chelski’s or Citeh’s “achievements” over the past few years. Means nothing.

I just hope he sells up to an individual or group who want us to win things. Being an SD advertising hoarding is just humiliating.

• 2 welshgeordie9 // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Spend some bloody money in the summer

• 3 mag // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Get spending!

• 4 welshgeordie9 // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I wonder how many players we will sign on the free

• 5 the truth will out // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM

he will have to spend some on pardews anger management

• 6 stuart no9 // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Newcastle Owner Now 256th Richest In The World
    2:57 pm, Monday, March 3rd, 2014 by Ed Harrison · 3 Comments —-you wouldnt bloody think it would you? but then again you probably would – he dosnt spend anything !

• 7 Shadow_Shearer // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Who cares, not gonna help newcastle

• 8 Whumpie // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

We know that his personal wealth has no link to what Ashley allows to happen at NUFC. The club will not get a penny from him personally; it will just continue to function as a machine to increase SD share price.

Ashley will only allow spend when it’s needed to keep us between 17th and 8th. The big question is: if we’re in serious danger of over-achieving again, will he sell our best players to bring us down a bit and “back within tolerances”?

Wouldn’t it be just bloody glorious if he decided that maybe CL exposure would be worth the investment needed to achieve it? Even holding on to our existing best players for a change? Just giving it a sodding go??

• 9 Whumpie // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

The sale of Cabs, rather than anything previously done, confirmed it to me. Ashley isn’t stupid enough not to realise that selling one £20m player (who was worth at least £30m in my view) just to spend all that cash on another £20m player (plus agent fees, etc.) makes no sense if you’re trying to win anything. The only reason I can think of to do that is to avoid climbing too high and incurring the cost of a Europa league campaign.

Anyone got any alternative theories?

• 10 NoClue-Pardew // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

NoClue-Pardew // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Should make a poll where it says: Should pardew be fired… period. The hull incident may not be worth it alone, but he has done many things in the past aswell.

• 11 geordiemark // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM

yes Ashley is worth all that money but he wont spend nothing on us so forget about it

now on pardew I still think he should be sacked and the fa will throw the lot at him, now lets get to why this happened in the first place didn’t the hull city player shoved pardew out the way that itself warrents a red card and a ban and fine as well in my eyes yes fair enough pardew is at fault as well but all the press are after is pardew not the player another thing that’s got my goat going is steve bruce remarks about saying that good job the player didn’t react or it would have been ugly to seen, now to me if someone pushed me the way that player pushed pardew id be fuming id go off my rocker so this justifies pardews reaction apart from the nut job

• 12 archaeomag // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

. . . . to make a small fortune in Football, you have to start with a big one . .

• 13 Belfast // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Whumpie I couldn’t give a ferk what other fans would think if we spent loads and won trophies lol

And you’ll not find a city or chelsea fan anywhere who gives a ferk either.

• 14 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Mister Tuff

If my horse is galloping away, your horse is chewing cud.

If you’re saying that Pardew’s actions aren’t worthy of a criminal prosecution but those of the bloke on the pitch are, you have your priorities wrong. If the cps think the same, so have they. The politicians too.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Croftus

Meylers actions were the catalyst and the provocation. Self defence is an excuse but provocation is just a mitigating factor, (subject to anything mr tuff wants to add or takeaway.)

• 16 the truth will out // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

his horse is a cow ive seen her

• 17 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Blackley
    Neither are worthy of criminal prosecution and i have no idea why the hell you keep dragging up that example

Your whole argument is a massive contradiction, you say charge Pardew with a criminal offence yet when asked about players who do the same if not worse every week you’ve said no, because there in battle and could get injured

Yes they could get injured, it why they earn tens of thousands and have clause riddled contracts, so how does a challenge, which 9/10 isn’t hard, justify “attacking” somebody as you put it?
    Is the manager not also part of the tempo and emotion of the match?
    That statement also heavily goes against your “one rule for everyone else” statement as your actually now justifying a differing set of rules from the working man

Don’t remember you being this vocal about criminal charges against Carver Woodman of Donachie
    Mind you I don’t remember you calling for them to be sacked week in week out normally anyway, funny that

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Mr Tuff

Are you the forensic accountant or is that someone else on here?

• 19 Ben3arfa // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I hope he goes broke and sells the club.

• 20 SpecialK // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Reading through the comments on the pardew/meyler fracas from last night and today and I must say, Blackley and brownlie and mister tuff are the two most boring, tedious people I’ve encountered in my entire life. And I used to live in Yorkshire for a number of years, in a village where the new John deere tractor is a hot topic.

I think you guys should go for a pint together and scare away all the lasses.

• 21 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Blacklie – no no no. A horse cannot chew cud – unlike a cow which can. A horse can be classified as a non ruminant herbivore with a different gastrointestinal tract to those of ruminants – like cattle which have more than one stomach.
    Please get your facts right. I’m beginning to feel like a teacher scolding a naughty boy. 100 lines tonight “I must listen to what other people say”.

• 22 the truth will out // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM

nelly 5 bellies

• 23 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Special K – looks like you are contributing well on the debates (Not). Were you the only one in the village?

• 24 ToonMatt // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

It means nothing, he’s the least ambitious man in the premier league and is clueless when it comes to the sport.

• 25 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Police confirm no action to be taken

• 26 mag // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

All that money and he shops in the football poundland he should be nutted off Pardew.

• 27 70TWO // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I wonder how much further the ‘blinkered’ horse will run after the final verdict, over the horizon would be a relief. Shock and horror is not a justification for legislative overhaul and the actions which offend you are far more common place than you appear to appreciate. There is not a ground swell of people or a few politicians willing to back your runner, your in a one horse race of your own making – buck up!

• 28 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM

@lee_ryder: Pardew has been charged for improper conduct by the FA #nufc

@lee_ryder: FA: “Due to the serious violent and/or aggressive nature of the reported behaviour this case has been designated as non-standard.” #nufc

• 29 mag // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Ashley could turn Newcastle United into a Premier league force and they would erect a statue for him instead of a gallows.

• 30 tequilamag // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Mister Tuff common misconception. Th cow has only one stomach but 4 segments, Rumen. reticulum, omasum and abomasum

• 31 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM

70TWO @27 —— the blinkered horse would be ahead -but for the intervention of others trying to “fix” the race. Without doubt.

GET IT ————— yet another top quality gag “ahead-but”
    GET IN!

• 32 70TWO // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I don’t know what the procedures are but assume he has chance to appeal before the punishment is announced.

• 33 Markaccus // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I like beer.

• 34 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

70TWO
    He has until 6pm Tuesday to appeal so no punishment to be handed out until Friday/ Monday

• 35 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

tequila — correct that the cow has compartments to it’s stomach. I stand corrected.

• 36 Markaccus // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Tads

I cannot imagine hebis going to fight this in any way. Hopefully, he might just say “i admit it, can i have my punnishment asap please”.

• 37 Markaccus // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Hebis? *he is

• 38 Markaccus // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM

In relation to football richness….. i wonder if the triads are going to wipe out the hirachy at Brum City. Poor Clarkey.

• 39 70TWO // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Mister Tuff @31

I am not overly sure, as I wouldn’t say ‘fix’ just adhere to the officially sanctioned ‘course’. Your in danger of taking the ‘reins’ of your protagonist and incorporating an ‘offal’ lot of unnecessary ‘bile’.

• 40 Markaccus // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Liver let die, i say. This could be a load of tripe.

• 41 70TWO // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Markaccus @33

Can recommend a ‘Tickety Brew’ Pale, wheaty up front and a ginger after taste.

• 42 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Markaccus
    Can’t stand Hebis, smug git that lad ;) shouldn’t be speaking on behalf of Pardew , maybe it’s because The club have put Pardew into a safe house?

• 43 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Markaccus -@40 – I agree could be a load of cows stomachs.

• 44 JackButler // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Thanks Ed, knowing that Ashley is the 256th richest man in the world make us knowing about his penny pinching so much easier to deal with

• 45 Markaccus // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM

70TWO

Cheers for that. I may have a go at that one.
    However, everyone was on about law, money and cow biology, so i thoight i would just tell everyone i liked beer :D

• 46 yo-yo // Mar 3, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Bl & Br

I headbutted a guy once.

Many years ago, me and my brother in law were waiting outside the lassess loo in Woolworths, Nottingham for my sister and girlfriend when these three guys came up to us and one just pushed me really hard against a wall and the others set on my brother in law. I got punched in the mouth so I headbutted him, kneed him in the groin as he went down and then stamped on his armpits (wearing wooden clogs) but he was out cold and his nose was bent to one side so I must have broken it. Then I went for the other two guys to pull them off my brother in law but as soon as they saw the guy on the deck they all scarpered quick. One of them shook me by the hand just as he ran off. We got picked up for affray by the store detective but as the store assistants confirmed we had been set on first we got an apology and a cup of tea.
    Now I’m not violent and this was the only time I’ve ever got into a scrap but we were set on first. So it was self defence even though the other guy got damaged as he obviously didn’t know we used to practice headbutting at school, had competitions at break time, especially if you were in the Rugby team.(as I was)

So I have to say I’m ashamed of Pardew for two reasons.
    Firstly for not thinking quickly enough and taking the dive. Result …. certain red card for Meyler.
    Secondly if you’re going to headbutt somebody do it properly and deck them. No point getting all that punishment for just leaning into somebody on tippy toe.

If you really think any of this is worth a criminal prosecution then think again bonny lad you’re way off beam….

The lads were Notts County fans who had not got into the ground for some reason – said we had looked at them….and at Hull….Meyler, that consummate professional, started the whole thing anyway….

• 47 scout // Mar 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Does anyone think 100 million spend would get us in the champions league. Surely we would have a bloody good go.

• 48 Reggie // Mar 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM

He now has another £100k in his pocket from fining Pards too, spend some money you tight git…

previous post: Should Pardew Be Fired – Surprising Poll Results